Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: Season Premiere (1) / S21.E02 Season Premiere (2)

• Start Topic

The open was amazingly well done.  The integration from tape to live was spot on.  I'm sure it was a ridiculous expense and amazingly enough to me, well worth it.  There might could be an Emmy in there for it.  It was that well done.

Biggest takeaways for me from the competition:  Julianne's stunning appearance (consciously more matronly to reflect her new Chief Judge status) completely affirmed the murder which was performed on her by make-up and costuming last year.  

I typically can pretty much overlook the liberties taken with the assigned dance style.  I just can't for Alexa's "Jive."  That thing had more Rumba content!  Almost no kicks or flecks.  Tons of sexy shimmering, though.  This was a sexed-up latin dance with a fast tempo.  Of course Mark and she totally got away with it.  It makes me angry that others who were totally screwed with Foxtrot or Quickstep and did try to honor those dances were not rewarded with the overscoring Alexa received.  Booooooo!

• Love 2

Alexa had a ton of jive content, more than both Bindi and Carlos IMO. Arguably Carlos put on more of a show and Bindi executed hers a bit better, but what she had was really tough for week 1 and she did well with it, though you saw she was nervous and a bit uncertain. Scores were totally fair for the rather challenging content and decent execution. Particularly with the overscoring going on around them (again, Hayes, wth?).

And some more on Hayes: I thought some of what the show and particularly Carrie Anne pulled was inappropriate. There was massive handwringing with Willow last season and for no reason whatsoever. Now they're sexualizing a 15 year old boy and everyone thinks it's fine. The double standard is pretty blatant.

Edited by katha
  • Love 8

It was a weird night for me...mainly because it seemed like Tom & Erin weren't on their game. Usually I can rely on Tom to get me through the awkward moments but there seemed to be ALOT of weird transitions or dead silences or nervous celebs that were not reigned in. There was a lot of letting them ramble. 

Dancewise it was a great show. A good half of the couples can really dance......the other half are just filler IMO.  What stuck in my mind after the show:

• There was so much going on around Kim (smoke, over-the-top costumes, background dancers, props etc.) yet she was barely moving.  Was it me or did it seem like she was clapping in slow motion during that one part of her routine???
  • I love Keo but I'm not sure I love his choreography.
  • Hayes' brother can exit stage left ASAP.
  • Allison's choreo lacks smoothness or something. I wish the judges would have actually addressed this last season with Riker b/c she might have actually worked on that this season.
  • It was less: WTF is going on with Mark's hair....and more WTF is going on with Carlos's hair.  Was that an actual swirl in his head?
  • The whole battle of the spouses is lame. I'm sure some producer got it in their head that this is their "story" and America will think it's cute. Mark probably seemed grumpy b/c he thinks this is just as lame as we do. It's hard to root for a team when you are not really presented as 2 separate teams. Being presented as this team within a team hybrid...I'm not feeling it.
  • Bindi is a sweetheart...but she has a way of talking that is very exaggerated and over the top.  Kind of like she's presenting on her show. I'm wondering...does she always talk like that?
  • Bindi's dance was super cute and fun, however, I did roll my eyes at Julianne saying it was the best of the night. I saw way more content in Carlos, Alexa & Tamar's routines to be honest.  She was killing the performance side of it though.
  • My only real issue with Nick...is there was so much hype that I was expecting to be blown away. He did a great job though.  I'll have to re-watch but I did think others had more actual content.
  • Tamar is a funny chick...but I hope she understands that people have to understand what the hell you are talking about in order to find you funny. That QS was impressive though.
  • Comparing Alex & Andy...I think Alex came out on top...he was much smoother in that foxtrot. I think Lindsay did a better job of putting together a smoother routine than Allison.
  • Everyone else was......meh.
  • Love 3

For me the Get Off my Screen goes to Golden Boy.  I really hate that they paired cute little Bindi with him.  And a second goes to Carrie Ann for being downright creepy about a 15 year old child.  They were talking about him and the "ladies".  Any lady interested in a 15 year old is a sicko.  

Hayes - WAY, WAY overscored.  I have no idea what the judges were seeing but those 7's were ridiculous in my opinion. He did go for it and he seems to have a nice attitude but yeah way too high with the scores. And two WTF - one, why is his brother all up in the backstage interview?  I don't care who he is, he's not competing so he needs to keep his ass in his seat. Two, what the hell with some of the flirty, innuendo comments about a 14 year old boy? I have a feeling it's because he's a boy because no one would have said things like this about Willow last season (though there was the creepy moment of Bruno saying she looked hot or sexy or whatever it was, for her team dance).

Hayes is 15 years old and all the cougar talk is uncomfy.

Did they harass Zendaya with this kind of sexualized talk?

No, so stop it with this kid.

Ack, what a train wreck this entire show was!  Was it a full moon or something?  Everyone seemed like they were Drunk, even Carrie Ann with her mortifying comments about a 15 year old. 

I believe the sexualization of Hayes is totally inappropriate and if I were his parents, would speak to production about my concerns. 

With the teenage girls on the show, there's always this hue and cry about not her costumes not being too revealing, how are they going to do the rumba with an underage girl, and there's a general avoidance of talking up her looks, let alone sex appeal. At least viewers aren't okay with Carrie creeping on Hayes and are just as protective about teenage boys.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 4
  • Bindi's dance was super cute and fun, however, I did roll my eyes at Julianne saying it was the best of the night. I saw way more content in Carlos, Alexa & Tamar's routines to be honest.  She was killing the performance side of it though.

This!  Carlos and Tamar were my favorites last night because I thought they had the best dancing and didn't have the annoying hype.  I liked Andy because he did a decent job for the first week and looks like he might have the potential to grow into a much better dancer. 

Alek was also a decent beginner, but wasn't as good as the judges said he was.

I think there's a good chance that the "couple" shtick will hurt Carlos and Alexa and one or both of them will leave before some of the really bad dancers. 

Good job on the opening! 

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 2

Thank goodness Tony doesn't have to dance with that fat cook! It's so funny that he made that "whew" gesture to the camera after she turned her back. Even if the fat cook was watching the show last night, maybe with her family around her, I'm sure that wasn't embarrassing for her.  Because fat people are just blobs. Not quite human, you see.  Even if they get upset, it's their fault, because they should have some damn self control. /sarcasm

I'm now extremely happy that Tony is stuck with yet another dud.  At least it's not a fat chick. That's clearly the worst.

Edited by radishcake
helping folks with context
  • Love 14

I'm now extremely happy that Tony is stuck with yet another dud.

I'm the exact opposite: seriously what does the guy need to do to get someone even remotely decent to compete?  When I didn't see his name on the original list I figured "maybe he's finally holding out in order to get someone good."

Overall, that was more bad than good.  Chaka, Kim, Gary, Paula...it all depends on who will stay the longest out of the 4.  But Gary is like Teflon.  People don't get how he lasts so long in any show and...I can see him go halfway through this.  It's hard to watch though; sometimes in those nonsensical rants he does have glimpses of clarity.  And I could tell Tom really had to dial back on the snark.

Baring a full disaster, top 4 should be Bindi, Nick, Tamar and a PenaVega that becomes less annoying as the show goes on.

• Love 1

Baring a full disaster, top 4 should be Bindi, Nick, Tamar and a PenaVega that becomes less annoying as the show goes on.

I agree that's who it should be (I would choose Alexa over her husband). But I think Tamar will go out earlier than she should. Gary Busey will be like a cockroach and last far longer than he should. She will go out before him. And I think Alek's inexperience will be patently obvious during the Latin dances but he's going to Galloway his way to the final 3.

• Love 3

That's how I see it shaking out, too. If Alek keeps improving, he could be a surprise, though. I really like that no one really stood out as a clear favorite. I knew it was Meryl's/Alfonso's/Rumer's to lose after their first episode, so I'm glad it seems wide open this season.

• Love 3

I agree that's who it should be (I would choose Alexa over her husband). But I think Tamar will go out earlier than she should. Gary Busey will be like a cockroach and last far longer than he should. She will go out before him. And I think Alek's inexperience will be patently obvious during the Latin dances but he's going to Galloway his way to the final 3.

I hope Alek doesn't in anyway resemble Galloway - whom I found extremely unlikable.

It's only been one week, however, I think Alek has shown a better attitude and more musicality than Galloway ever did.

• Love 3
I'm the exact opposite: seriously what does the guy need to do to get someone even remotely decent to compete?

While Tony has definitely had some frustrating duds, he has had decent partners. After all he's won before so he had to have had at least one decent partner. Tony has had Melissa, who he won with, Stacy Kiebler and many others who maybe were not the best of the season but not hopeless, like Leah Remini, Jane Seymour and he had people who actually were decent but just didn't have the fanbase, like Audrina Patridge and Chynna Phillips. I feel like the notion of Tony only getting these horrible, hopeless celebrities is a myth. 

Bindi's dance was super cute and fun, however, I did roll my eyes at Julianne saying it was the best of the night. I saw way more content in Carlos, Alexa & Tamar's routines to be honest.  She was killing the performance side of it though.

The bolded sentence is key here I think. Because is it better to load a dance with too much content that overwhelms the celebrity and the execution is poor or to go with something that has the basics, that they can handle and execute perfectly? Because no matter how impressive the level of content, it will not really matter if the execution fails.

Yes, Alexa had more content in her dance but Carlos executed a lot more precisely what Witney gave him. And same with Bindi in my opinion. I did mention that I wanted a bit more flicks and kicks but I do think she executed her choreography the best with the Jive. She was on the beat, never lost the energy, was very clean and precise with her legs and arms and yes was totally giving face the whole time. I agree about Tamar but I think that might have been a result of going so early. I'm shocked she even got the 8's she did because they're usually very stingy with the scores very early in the night. 

And for the record, I'm not suggesting the Pros always go lazy on the choreography but just that sometimes keeping it simple is wise. It's like the KISS acronym - keep it simple, stupid. Not to mention that it was Week 1. I feel like at that point, it may be better to focus on teaching the celebrity the basics and technique of ballroom in general rather than creating some super complex choreography they have to remember and try and master. I mean if they can handle it, sure go for it, but if not, better to go with something clean and well put together and build from that. YMMV of course. 

Julianne ... girl. You are the new head judge. It'd be nice in your critiques to say at least ONE thing technical.

I have the unpopular opinion that I think Julianne is and has been a good judge. That said, I have felt from the start that she tries to make comments and criticisms accessible to the average person and more specifically the celebrity who is not a professional dancer. By that, I mean that I believe she consciously does not use technical terms that she figures they won't understand anyway. Yes, the Pro will but I find that Julianne often directs her comments to the celebrity, not the Pro, which is interesting. So she explains things in a way that they will understand rather than using some ballroom technical language. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

Tony is a giant shithead for making fun of the fat cook who answered the door.

Yea, that was really nagl. Reminded me of when I really hated Tony. 

I hate that I like Bindi so much. Why does she have to be with Derek, dammit?!

ETA: Oh, also, what is tonight's episode? Are they all dancing again and someone goes home?

• Love 1
ETA: Oh, also, what is tonight's episode? Are they all dancing again and someone goes home?

The TV Guide describes it as a recap of the first dances and footage of the rehearsals for the first dances and backstage after last night's show and a preview of the dances for next week. So sounds like a complete waste of a whole two hours. 

• Love 2

And for the record, I'm not suggesting the Pros always go lazy on the choreography, just that sometimes keeping it simple is wise. It's like the KISS acronym - keep it simple, stupid. Not to mention that it was Week 1. I feel like at that point, better to focus on teaching the celebrity the basics and technique of ballroom in general rather than creating some super complex choreography they have to remember and try and master. I mean if they can handle it, sure but if not, better to go with something clean and well put together and build from that. YMMV of course. 

I have the unpopular opinion that I think Julianne is and has been a good judge. That said, I have felt from the start that she tries to make comments and criticisms accessible to the average person and more specifically the celebrity who is not a professional dancer. By that, I mean that I believe she consciously does not use technical terms that she figures they won't understand anyway. Yes, the Pro will but I find that Julianne often directs her comments to the celebrity, not the Pro, which is interesting. So she explains things in a way that they will understand rather than using some ballroom technical language. 

I think Julianne has really come into her own as a judge; I agree that she often directs her comment to the contestants and tries to give useful critiques phrased in a way that is accessible to non-dancers.  She sometimes gets a bit over exuberant, but I think that simply comes from her love of dance and being excited when a contestant does something well/she really likes.  I thought her comments to Carols about 'filing out the space' and to 'Hayes' to work on core strength/open your eyes were on point.  I also liked her explanation of why she thought Allison and Andy had chemistry.  I find her critiques useful and coherent, unlike Carrie Anne's cougar comments and weird noises.

The TV Guide describes it as a recap of the first dances and footage of the rehearsals for the first dances and backstage after last night's show and a preview of the dances for next week. So sounds like a complete waste of a whole two hours. 

It sounds like what the result shoes used to be - just without the results - or musical acts.

• Love 3

Just as a general FYI: sometimes posts get hidden for a bit when mods are reviewing them. If that happens to you and you have a question, feel free to PM and we'll get it straightened out for you. Believe it or not we aren't here 24/7! ;)

I agree with your rankings. I am biased because I love Nick carter been a huge BSB fan for 19 years but I thought he was great and will be voting for him . I thought Bindi was adorable and can see potential they will probably be the top 2. I also liked Carlos he looks like a natural dancer.

I don't think Bindi could be any cuter if she tried. She just came across as an excited 17 year old girl dancing on national television. I have been 21 years old 27 times and I would be just as excited but it probably wouldn't be as cute. I guess I'm in the minority that I like Derek. So the combination works for me. I'm glad she didn't get Mark because of all the Marks in the world, he's the Charlie Brownest

I laughed so hard at Wig during that "performance." Just like all the sex kittens before her (Kim K, Holly Madison et. al) When their sexy side could have been used appropriately and actually be of assistance they fall flat - wah wah wah waaaaaah .. (and I laughed and laughed and laughed) BYE WIG!

• Love 4

As usual, Derek gets the female dancer who has the most potential.  Why can't he be saddled with someone like Kim Zolciak???

This.  They might as well rename this "Dancing with Derek Hough".  20 seasons of this show, and he has won 5 times.  Nobody else has won more than twice.  Now his sister is head judge and despite what they say, I find it hard to believe she can be 100% impartial.  He has never finished lower than 6th and he has never been saddled with an obvious dud.    On the other hand, Tony frequently gets the 40+ woman with two left feet.  I don't think it's a myth that he gets duds, just look at the list of his partners.  Some seem like they could have had potential but really, he's never had the obvious front runner like Derek often gets.

• Love 4

I think Julianne has really come into her own as a judge; I agree that she often directs her comment to the contestants and tries to give useful critiques phrased in a way that is accessible to non-dancers.  She sometimes gets a bit over exuberant, but I think that simply comes from her love of dance and being excited when a contestant does something well/she really likes.  I thought her comments to Carols about 'filing out the space' and to 'Hayes' to work on core strength/open your eyes were on point.  I also liked her explanation of why she thought Allison and Andy had chemistry.  I find her critiques useful and coherent, unlike Carrie Anne's cougar comments and weird noises.

Potential nepotism aside, this is why I'm ok with Julianne as a judge.  She will explain it in a way where she is being technical about the form and frame but saying it where the non dancer can grasp what she's getting at.  Even when she was guest judging long before she was permanent, I felt that she was giving the contestant useful feedback for them to work on without dumbing it down that much.  Out of the 3 she's the one with the most ballroom experience now and may favour more modern techniques than Len ever would. 

• Love 2

I'm not really sure if everyone referring to her as "the fat cook" is any better than Tony's reaction. Her name was clearly on the screen; it's Tracy

Paula Deen - what you get when someone LITERALLY scraps the bottom of the barrel

• Love 7

I think Alek was over scored. I didn't see anything that great about him to deserve those scores. He seems to get extra points for having zero experience, being handsome and being an American military hero, much like ugh Noah Galloway.

I hate to keep harping on Alek, but after the powder puff treatment of Noah Galloway last season, I am very skeptical. I find it interesting that the show gave him a fox trot, which seems to me to be a slow, very "easy" dance. Contrast that to Paula. She is one of the older, heavier contestants. She has lost a ton of weight and looks great. But to give her the quickstep after so little time to practice? Why? Was it random or on purpose?

Re Alek, I thought he did a great job, especially since he got picked at the last-minute and didn't have much practice time. The Fox Trot isn't easy, especially for someone with a lack of dance experience, like Alek.  As for the Noah Galloway comparisons, I respectfully disagree because Alek not only has all of his limbs, which should make dancing easier, depending on the dances themselves, based on what I've seen so far, he seems like a polite and humble young  man to me & I hope he stays that way. I think that if he plays his cards right, Alek could be like JR Martinez, another ex-military man with zero dance experience who won.

Andy did better than expected. So did Tamar & Nick. Their routines weren't "perfect," but they were fun.

Bindi's adorable. Derek, not so much.

The less said about Gary, the better. Ditto Paula.  #FreeAnna & FreeLouis!

Re Kim, to call her a hot mess is an insult to hot messes everywhere. Poor Tony.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6

Sorry, I miss Len already.  I wouldn't mind Julianne as judge if she were counterbalanced by someone like Len, but not replacing Len.  Julianne might as well be Carrie Ann by the types of comments she makes.  I think the show needed to get someone more rational and technical and perhaps older and more experienced in the dance world, although I realize this show keeps doing its level best to attract a younger audience.  Not to minimize Julianne's experience, but someone with a more mature outlook, perhaps.

And about the "fat cook" comments, aside from that being insulting I'm surprised Paula Deen isn't more well known.  I'm a foodie so I know that she's already lost a ton of weight so calling her "fat" is really kind of relative.  Also, I don't think she's doing that bad for someone of her age and in her line of work, "butter queen" labels aside, of course.  She's had to change her diet radically due to diabetes.

• Love 4

Sorry, I miss Len already.  I wouldn't mind Julianne as judge if she were counterbalanced by someone like Len, but not replacing Len.  Julianne might as well be Carrie Ann by the types of comments she makes.  I think the show needed to get someone more rational and technical and perhaps older and more experienced in the dance world, although I realize this show keeps doing its level best to attract a younger audience.  Not to minimize Julianne's experience, but someone with a more mature outlook, perhaps.

And about the "fat cook" comments, aside from that being insulting I'm surprised Paula Deen isn't more well known.  I'm a foodie so I know that she's already lost a ton of weight so calling her "fat" is really kind of relative.  Also, I don't think she's doing that bad for someone of her age and in her line of work, "butter queen" labels aside, of course.  She's had to change her diet radically due to diabetes.

I agree with you in regards to your comments about Julianne's judging. 

The "fat cook" comments are based on Tony and Kim's pre-dance package when Kim's home chef answered the door. She was overweight and Tony sort of did a "thank God" motion to the camera when he realized she wasn't his partner. 

• Love 1

I don't think Julianne is anywhere near as awful or inappropriate as a judge as Carrie Ann.  Sometimes she'll make a comment that her juvenile co-judges will turn into something sleazy (much like Nigel does to Paula Abdul).  Other than Julianne occasionally fan-girling over a contestant (like she did with Nick Carter last night) I do not think she crosses the line.  Sure, she will occasionally be a bit to effusive in her praise; as I said earlier, I think this is due to her love of dance and her enthusiasm/eagerness to share dance with non-dancers.  As you point out I do think her positivity was a nice counter-balance to Len's curmedgeon-ness.  I would have loved to have those two be the permanent judge with a third rotating guest judge; toss Carrie Ann and Bruno to the curb.

Tony explained on Instagram that the thing with the cook was a scripted skit. They almost always know who their partner is ahead of time before the "surprise" meeting.

Ugh.  That is rather awful; I don't think it's funny to make fun of the 'fat' woman --- and that's basically what this 'skit' did.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 5

With regards to the Len/Julianne thing: The audience appreciated Len especially for his technique critique and calling out poor ones when necessary.I agree that Julianne tempers her critiques to include terminology that the audience and celebrity can understand. I feel she makes a conscious effort to do this though I don't think it's all that necessary. Why? because the celebs probably hear such terms from their pros during rehearsal and practice (see Carlos understanding right away when Bruno said kicks and flicks), and more importantly the audience is more enlightened about ballroom dancing and the technical side of it. For instance when Len's says 'there was no head leads, you are suposed to be on the balls of your feet, no rise and fall.......blabla...... even a non-dancer, no ballroom at-all person like me now knows what it means. I did not need Len 'dumbing it down' for me to eventually get it. I think this is a big reason why Len will be missed and prove irreplaceable. Julianne will eventually morph into Carrie-Ann and Bruno will eventually embrace the 'technique aspect' which really should at least remain to maintain some integrity for the dancing. With all the props, super-sized productions, the show has lost a lot already ( and gained other unnecessary things along the way).

• Love 9

Tony explained on Instagram that the thing with the cook was a scripted skit. They almost always know who their partner is ahead of time before the "surprise" meeting.

I get that it was a scripted skit, but what I don't get is why the producers chose to do it,  Was it really supposed to be "OMG, my partner's a house!"  "Oh, I'm the cook".  Enter Kim looking like a beautiful sizzling glamorous diva.  "Yay, my partner's a beautiful sizzling glamorous diva!"

I do think it's very insulting and it makes Tony look bad.  There have been overweight contestants on the show before, so if the show is saying "nobody wants the fat one", then what does that say about their casting in the past?  Also, I look at Kim and do a double take.  I can't believe she's only 36.  She easily looks 50.  There's too much plastic surgery or sun damage or... something.  I don't find her beautiful or sizzling or glamorous in the least.

And I can't help it... I like Paula.  I like her cooking.  I wonder if she thinks she has to put on a persona in order to attract a following?  Because it doesn't seem to be working very well based on comments here.  Yes, she made some mistakes in the past with those comments, but I admire her for admitting her mistake and moving on.  I also really appreciate that her health issues have caused her to alter her cooking to suit her and today's healthy outlook on cooking.  She has a new cookbook that just came out, "Paula Deen Cuts the Fat" in which she takes 50 of her classic Southern favourites and makes them healthier. 

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 3

With regards to the Len/Julianne thing: The audience appreciated Len especially for his technique critique and calling out poor ones when necessary.I agree that Julianne tempers her critiques to include terminology that the audience and celebrity can understand. I feel she makes a conscious effort to do this though I don't think it's all that necessary. Why? because the celebs probably hear such terms from their pros during rehearsal and practice (see Carlos understanding right away when Bruno said kicks and flicks), and more importantly the audience is more enlightened about ballroom dancing and the technical side of it. For instance when Len's says 'there was no head leads, you are suposed to be on the balls of your feet, no rise and fall.......blabla...... even a non-dancer, no ballroom at-all person like me now knows what it means. I did not need Len 'dumbing it down' for me to eventually get it. I think this is a big reason why Len will be missed and prove irreplaceable. Julianne will eventually morph into Carrie-Ann and Bruno will eventually embrace the 'technique aspect' which really should at least remain to maintain some integrity for the dancing. With all the props, super-sized productions, the show has lost a lot already ( and gained other unnecessary things along the way).

Sure the contestants might hear the technical terms from their pro during rehearsal ..... (and we know that some pros don't use terminology at all - I remember that one contestant commenting that Mark (or was it Derek) tended to use numbers or sounds to indicate steps) .... would the majority of the viewing audience know these terms?  

While it is true that the judges are providing feedback for the contestant, they are also participating in a television show and as such need to career to the audience at home who are not dance experts.  I think most of the audience tunes in because they like the contestants and not necessarily because they are dance fans (I think dance fans tend to watch shows like So You Think You Can Dance or America's Best Dance Crew).

Edited by OakGoblinFly

The worst first episode in DWTS history.

Usually there's one obvious stinker right out of the gate.

This time we have  five:  Paula, Chaka, Victor, Gary, Kim

All the rest were mediocre, save for Bindi and Carlos, and Nick who is such a ringer he shouldn't count.

Also, who are these people?  I haven't heard of half of them (Braxton, Real Housewife, Vine Boy, Married Couple)

And what is Alek doing here? I don't mean to be unpatriotic or to bash his bravery.  It's a very serious situation to have terrorists try to take over a passenger train.  I don't think this is something that should be celebrated in a dancing competition.

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 3

Also, who are these people? I haven't heard of half of them (Braxton, Real Housewife, Vine Boy, Married Couple

This show is famous for picking D-listers. Kim has her own show "Don't Be Tardy" which airs on Bravo on Sunday nights. She's married to Kroy Biermann of the Atlanta Falcons. The Braxton sisters have been around a long time, musical group. I don't know the married couple or the young kid at all.

The worst first episode in DWTS history.

Usually there's one obvious stinker right out of the gate.

This time we have  :  Paula, Chaka, Victor, Gary, Kim

All the rest were mediocre, save for Bindi and Carlos, and Nick who is such a ringer he shouldn't count.

Also, who are these people?  I haven't heard of half of them (Braxton, Real Housewife, Vine Boy, Married Couple)

And why is Alek a "star?" I don't mean to be unpatriotic or to bash his bravery.  It's a very serious situation to have terrorists try to take over a passenger train.  I don't think this is something that should be celebrated, even tangentially.

I think Alek is there because he's newsworthy and current.  Personally, I do think that stopping a terrorist attack should absolutely be celebrated.  I imagine Hayes Grier was selected for the same reason as Alek Skarlatos; he's current and newsworthy in the social media realm (much like Bethany Mota).

I'm not sure I'd qualify Nick Carter as a ringer; sure he some choreographed stage dance as a member of the Backstreet Boys .... if you've ever seen video of the Backstreet Boys you'd know he wasn't very good and often was placed in the back to 'hide' is lack of movement.  Besides, I imagine that the so-called dancing he did on stage is very, very different than what he'll be asked to do for this show.  To me, Nick is no more a ringer than the ice dancers, former ballet dancers, or other singer/dancer types they've had on this show.

While I'm not sure I'd qualify this premier as the worst in the show's history I do think that the divide between those who dance well and those who do not is vast.  Usually there are more middling people on the show, this season that doesn't seem to be the case; there seems to be a lot more cannon fodder.  

All that being said, my favorite dances of the night were Tamar, Nick, Bindi, and a tie between Alek and Carlos.

And I can't help it... I like Paula.  I like her cooking.  I wonder if she thinks she has to put on a persona in order to attract a following?  Because it doesn't seem to be working very well based on comments here.  Yes, she made some mistakes in the past with those comments, but I admire her for admitting her mistake and moving on.  I also really appreciate that her health issues have caused her to alter her cooking to suit her and today's healthy outlook on cooking.  She has a new cookbook that just came out, "Paula Deen Cuts the Fat" in which she takes 50 of her classic Southern favourites and makes them healthier. 

If Paula can present herself on this show the way she did on her cooking shows I think most people might warm up to her.  I will give her a pass for this episode because she clearly was nervous.

I wonder if her footwork was really bad and Louis tried to hide it with her costume.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 3

The "fat cook" being referred to is Tracey Bloom, Kim Zolciak's personal chef not Paula Deen. 

And what is Alek doing here? I don't mean to be unpatriotic or to bash his bravery.  It's a very serious situation to have terrorists try to take over a passenger train.  I don't think this is something that should be celebrated in a dancing competition.

My thoughts are it's a combination of scrambling to get the cast finalized at the last minute and needing to fill the "American hero" spot that Rob Wade apparently thinks we need every season now.

• Love 3
we know that some pros don't use terminology at all - I remember that one contestant commenting that Mark (or was it Derek) tended to use numbers or sounds to indicate steps) .... would the majority of the viewing audience know these terms?

I think they should use the correct terminology.  I like ballroom, but I don't know much about it, so when I hear the actual term, eventually it will stick in my head.  I like absorbing new information, though, so I may not be a typical viewer.  I once worked with a choreographer who never used technical terms but would talk about "runnies" and "swirlies" to describe what she wanted us to do, and it felt a bit patronizing, to be honest.  Most of us were non-dancers, but we were willing to learn and eager to try, much like the celebs on this show.

Also, if you aren't familiar with Alexa PenaVega (and aren't averse to gore), you might want to check out a movie she was in called RepoI The Genetic Opera.  My son got me to watch it (co-stars Paul Sorvino, Anthony Head, Sarah Brightman, and Paris Hilton), and I loved it.  

If Derek can't win with Bindi, he will likely never win again.  Bindi's a sweet kid with famous parents, a tragic backstory, plus the inspirational component of making a life for herself after her father's death and becoming a celebrity in her own right with her work on behalf of animals.  The only thing I think people might object to is her connection to SeaWorld, but she's got everything else going for her (except, possibly, being partnered with Derek!).

Last, I really wish Carrie-Ann would just quit with the demented chipmunk/machine gun giggling.  She sets my teeth on edge.

• Love 2

I think Alek is there because he's newsworthy and current.  Personally, I do think that stopping a terrorist attack should absolutely be celebrated.  

Celebrated, yes. But celebrated in a dignified way that reflects the seriousness of the situation and the dire reality that terrorism is on the rise in the world and the bravery of these three men isn't changing that.

DWTS is not dignified and packaging Alek as some kind of entertainment celebrity turns a terrorist attack into a catalyst for a game show.

• Love 2

Celebrated, yes. But celebrated in a dignified way that reflects the seriousness of the situation and the dire reality that terrorism is on the rise in the world and the bravery of these three men isn't changing that.

DWTS is not dignified and packaging Alek as some kind of entertainment celebrity turns a terrorist attack into a catalyst for a game show.

Think of him this way:  He's the closest the show has ever come to casting a regular non-celebrity viewer.  Haven't we all secretly wished that we could have a go at dancing with the pro of our choice?  I know I have.  So I'm going to support him for as long as I feel he's having fun, because I know that that's the closest I'm ever going to get to actually going on the show myself.

• Love 15

Eh... he's a solider just like any other solider DWTS has had on the show. Just because he's famous for a singular act, and not because he was significantly injured (like Noah or J.R. Martinez and is now a motivational speaker), doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the show. Yet again, to each its own. 

• Love 2

I already deleted. Did anyone go up those steps after their dance?

Loved the opening.

Whoever scripted Tony's gesture and reaction at the door made him look like a colossal ass.

Paula.... the belching, the underpants.... omg...

Julianne being head judge is a slap to the other two imo. I miss Len.

• Love 4

Think of him this way:  He's the closest the show has ever come to casting a regular non-celebrity viewer.  Haven't we all secretly wished that we could have a go at dancing with the pro of our choice?  I know I have.  So I'm going to support him for as long as I feel he's having fun, because I know that that's the closest I'm ever going to get to actually going on the show myself.

No, I never have wished that.

And having a regular person violates the entire premise of the show. This premise is to take "stars" -- people who are famous for some other public occupation (actor, singer, reality tv star, athlete, politician, etc.) and put them in an unfamiliar role as a dancer. 

That's what's entertaining about the show.

The other soldiers -- Galloway and Martinez -- were not just soldiers.  They both had entertainment careers before appearing on DWTS. Galloway was a fitness celebrity and a model, and Martinez was a soap opera star.  

• Love 2

I'm not sure I'd qualify Nick Carter as a ringer; sure he some choreographed stage dance as a member of the Backstreet Boys .... if you've ever seen video of the Backstreet Boys you'd know he wasn't very good and often was placed in the back to 'hide' is lack of movement.  Besides, I imagine that the so-called dancing he did on stage is very, very different than what he'll be asked to do for this show.  To me, Nick is no more a ringer than the ice dancers, former ballet dancers, or other singer/dancer types they've had on this show.

While I agree that there is a difference between boy band dance moves and ballroom dancing, he's definitely  a ringer to me.  I would consider all of those people with some kind of dance training (Kristi Yamaguchi, Nicole Scherzinger, Sabrina Bryan, Drew Lachey, Meryl Davis, Charlie White, etc.) to be ringers.  There's a huge difference between people like that and people like Paula Deen and Housewife Kim.  Just look at Nick's dance, he just seemed so comfortable and his moves were crisp and deliberate.  As opposed to Paula who was literally hanging on for dear life.

I think they should use the correct terminology.  I like ballroom, but I don't know much about it, so when I hear the actual term, eventually it will stick in my head.  I like absorbing new information, though, so I may not be a typical viewer.  I once worked with a choreographer who never used technical terms but would talk about "runnies" and "swirlies" to describe what she wanted us to do, and it felt a bit patronizing, to be honest.  Most of us were non-dancers, but we were willing to learn and eager to try, much like the celebs on this show.

Then again, you could have a student like me who finds the terms confusing and does much better with counts ......... I like that Julianne is able to put in simple terms complex concepts and is able to define the intangibles (fill out the space, give your movement resistance, like moving through water; moving with purpose will give you the proper leg lines).

Way back when, Len would use a technical term and then some of the pros would demonstrate it; he did this with the various dance types as well .... saying that we the audience should look for these specific moves (while the pro couple demonstrates).  Since the show has moved further and further way from ballroom dancing, it does not surprise me that these informative sections have been tossed aside for theme nights and product placement.

To get this back on topic - I thought Julianne was spot on in her critiques, Bruno was much improved (much like original flavor Bruno), and Carrie Ann was offer her rocker.

I thought that Tom and Erin had really off nights.

And the orchestra still destroys any song they do live. 

• Love 3