Type keyword(s) to search

Raquel "Rocky" Dakota: Master of the Ceiling Gaze

BogoGog24
  • Start Topic

I would have bet she was the youngest in her family or only child. I've never seen such a childish, whiny, delusional person on tv (and that's saying a lot). I thought she said she had 2 older brothers, then 3 younger sisters - so middle child issues? She certainly has to be the center of attention at all times. I cannot imagine her being on any sort of team, but yeah she was on the diving team at University of Hawaii and was a WAC titleholder or won some WAC awards. Wouldn't you love to hear from her old teammates?

I also looked at her Linkedin profile. You would think coaching would be a natural progression since she loves the water so much, but you'd have to have patience in being a coach. The culinary school she attended, assuming she did not graduate as you'd list a certificate or something (do they issue diplomas?). In any event being a line cook and a barista does not make you a sous chef. How in the hell did she manage to graduate with a degree in history? I had roommates in college who took one or two history courses and it was a LOT of work (a cakewalk it was not).

On behalf of middle children everywhere... I resent that.

• Love 2

Raquel is the epitome of the cliché of the Millennial Employee.  Which is sad, because I believe that each person should not be judged against the clichés of their particular generation.  But she is spoiled, unable to work without constant praise, believes the world owes her respect...HER!  I understand hating your boss, I get it, but please be discreet about it.  Wait...it's Bravo; there's no payoff in being discreet about anything.  She should hie herself over to that RHOBH spin-off, VanderPump Rules.  She'd be a shoo-in (full disclosure: I've only ever seen commercials for it, never watched an episode) for the workplace DRAHma.

A big ole Lana Kane-esque "Noooooooope!" to that. I love that show and she would ruin it. Plus, she just needs/wants attention, Kristen aka Cigarette Sally of the Crazy Eyes would destroy her…if Stassi didn't take her soul.

• Love 5

Aleks Taldykin from first season, tweeted that Rocky is working on the same boat he works on, as a stew/chef and is doing great!! Very interesting, and good for her!

Yeah right, he is probably hitting that.

Bowm chicka bowm bow!

• Love 4

A big ole Lana Kane-esque "Noooooooope!" to that. I love that show and she would ruin it. Plus, she just needs/wants attention, Kristen aka Cigarette Sally of the Crazy Eyes would destroy her…if Stassi didn't take her soul.

Tru dat.  They would chew her up and spit her out.  And then we'd have to watch her cry to her parents on the phone every episode instead of just every other like right now.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 3

On behalf of middle children everywhere... I resent that.

Sorry, just thinking that because (supposedly) that some middle children feel ignored - the oldest is the first and new and novel - the youngest is spoiled, etc. that maybe she's acting out more than normal to get attention.  Not that every middle child is like Rocky - God help us all if that were the case.  I have friends that enjoy to be in the spotlight, the center of attention, but nothing even close to this chick.

• Love 1

Lol, it's totally ok, I was kidding... I fully embrace my middle child-om... I just don't want to be categorized with her. I think it's safe to say she is truly a special little snowflake that nobody wants to claim they have anything in common with her.

• Love 7

She should hie herself over to that RHOBH spin-off, VanderPump Rules.  She'd be a shoo-in (full disclosure: I've only ever seen commercials for it, never watched an episode) for the workplace DRAHma.

Oh please! She would probably whinge about waitressing while trying to suck everyone off and offering the chef some tips. I would actually love to see Kristen massacre her.

• Love 3

Scroll down to Oct. 22nd.

Though it appears being based out of LA they do a lot of day charters.

OK. You have to dig deep into the conversations for that.

Not sure how much work there is for a chef or stew on day trips from LA to Catalina, or whatever Aleks is doing,  or how long she's been doing the job. 

I wouldn't set foot on a boat captained by Aleks after seeing his incompetence on Below Deck and I wouldn't feed Rocky's food to my dog.  

Like Rocky, it seems that Aleks greatly exaggerates his experience and skill.

• Love 3

Speaking of dogs.  One of mine is kind of a Rocky.  She needs to constantly be the center of attention, whines, is always wiggling her cute little butt, causes trouble all the time, her mood changes on a dime, she sings a lot (howls) and it's annoying, and she licks her fingers (toes) a lot.  She had trouble in puppy school so I had to get her a private trainer.  She was sent to boot camp to get her act in gear (it worked for the really bad stuff).  She should probably go to the dog shrink and has a referral for one from the vet, but that's just too ridiculous and she's mellowed out a bit so she's just kind of annoying and not a danger to herself or others.  She's only still alive because she's cute and she kept me too exhausted to murder her.  Thinking about the parallels, I wonder how much of a terror Rocky was to deal with as a child.

• Love 4

Yeah right, he is probably hitting that.

Bowm chicka bowm bow!

My exact immediate thoughts!

I clicked over to Rocky's LinkedIn account, as pathetic as it is.  The one - and only one - good thing I'll say is that the straight brown hair flatters her way more than her current crazy blonde curly hair.  I think the way she looks in the LinkedIn photo is "softer" and less crazy.

• Love 1

I noticed that Eddie introduced her to Ben as "Rocky" and she then said, in greeting to Ben, "Hi! Raquel." She already wanted to get his attention, thus the ass-first (well, legs, then ass) entrance, and using her more-sexy given name over the "one of the guys" nickname.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

I believe that Rocky has real, serious mental health issues and needs to seek treatment, not fame. I have just read the final published version of a book I proofread several times as it was being written. It's by a woman who suffers from bipolar disorder and PTSD due to a significant childhood trauma. She's now in her 60s and recounts her story in episodes from her life prior to her short commitment to a mental health facility, where she was finally diagnosed and started on meds. Her life is hard because she went far downhill for many years until she began treatment in her mid 50s. She writes that she is still "far from normal" and never will be, but she is very grateful to be where she is now. 

The thing that gets me is that now as I read the vignettes from her youth in my mind I see her looking and acting just like Rocky. The author depicts herself as beautiful, hyper-athletic, energetic to a bit manic, insecure, attention-seeking, annoying... and then swinging into belligerence, anger, and tantrums, fights for "justice" that include standing up for her "rights" and those of others' (who like Leon don't really need her or give a shit about her). It's a bit eerie, but confirms for me that Rocky actually needs HELP, so I feel drawn to watch her while also feeling sympathy and some concern. She clearly hoped for an emotional connection with Eddie even though she acted like it was just a casual romp to "blow off steam". I feel a bit that she was used by Eddie (he texted first, although there may have some flirting on her part that made him feel certain she wanted to hook up; we don't see everything that happens) and it makes me sad for her because she doesn't seem in control of herself, more at the mercy of her mood swings. They all see that she acts crazy. Eddie should have been mature and professional enough to not go to her for an easy hookup.

After she threw the tantrum when Amy tried to talk to her in one of the bedrooms, she was later shown curled up on the floor of her room moaning, "What did I do to myself?" I think she knew she went way too far and felt embarrassed. It certainly wasn't the first time.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 7

I noticed that Eddie introduced her to Ben as "Rocky" and she then said, in greeting to Ben, "Hi! Raquel." She already wanted to get his attention, thus the ass-first (well, legs, then ass) entrance, and using her more-sexy given name over the "one of the guys" nickname.

I actually noticed she did that with the charter guests too, she introduced herself as Raquel... Probably so she could go into the story that she was named after Raquel Welch

• Love 1

I believe that Rocky has real, serious mental health issues and needs to seek treatment, not fame. I have just read the final published version of a book I proofread several times as it was being written. It's by a woman who suffers from bipolar disorder and PTSD due to a significant childhood trauma. She's now in her 60s and recounts her story in episodes from her life prior to her short commitment to a mental health facility, where she was finally diagnosed and started on meds. Her life is hard because she went far downhill for many years until she began treatment in her mid 50s. She writes that she is still "far from normal" and never will be, but she is very grateful to be where she is now. 

The thing that gets me is that now as I read the vignettes from her youth in my mind I see her looking and acting just like Rocky. The author depicts herself as beautiful, hyper-athletic, energetic to a bit manic, insecure, attention-seeking, annoying... and then swinging into belligerence, anger, and tantrums, fights for "justice" that include standing up for her "rights" and those of others' (who like Leon don't really need her or give a shit about her). It's a bit eerie, but confirms for me that Rocky actually needs HELP, so I feel drawn to watch her while also feeling sympathy and some concern. She clearly hoped for an emotional connection with Eddie even though she acted like it was just a casual romp to "blow off steam". I feel a bit that she was used by Eddie (he texted first, although there may have some flirting on her part that made him feel certain she wanted to hook up; we don't see everything that happens) and it makes me sad for her because she doesn't seem in control of herself, more at the mercy of her mood swings. They all see that she acts crazy. Eddie should have been mature and professional enough to not go to her for an easy hookup.

After she threw the tantrum when Amy tried to talk to her in one of the bedrooms, she was later shown curled up on the floor of her room moaning, "What did I do to myself?" I think she knew she went way too far and felt embarrassed. It certainly wasn't the first time.

Really, everyone on Below Deck, or on any most reality show for that matter, could be armchair-diagnosed with some mental disorder.  

People are cast for their distinctive personalities and edited to exacerbate those traits.  Not to say that Rocky stripping down and diving off the boat was a sign of stability, but diagnosing by comparing a reality TV character with someone in an autobiography probably goes too far.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 2

Really, everyone on Below Deck, or on any most reality show for that matter, could be armchair-diagnosed with some mental disorder.  

People are cast for their distinctive personalities and edited to exacerbate those traits.  Not to say that Rocky stripping down and diving off the boat was a sign of stability, but diagnosing by comparing a reality TV character with someone in an autobiography probably goes too far.

I agree with the original poster. I had a close friend that was suffered from manic depression. On a normal day, he was very straight-laced. Not that he didn't know how to have fun, but he was that guy that was super-serious. The kind you can't really imagine every having been a kid. In a manic phase, he'd call and suggest that we hop in the car and drive to Canada to gamble for the weekend or go out and spend his last dollar on an exotic animal because he wanted "a friend". The highs and lows were extreme, and I can see the similarities in Rocky. Its not so much the diving off the boat, its the extreme of everything. Having sex a couple of times in the laundry room becomes the greatest romance known to man. Feeling supportive of a co-worker against a common foe has become "BFFs". Everything is a superlative be it good or bad. Her ability to turn on an oven has morphed into "I'm a chef". There is no middle ground, moderation or even keel. Everything is at 1000. 

Another interesting thing about Rocky is that she lists her culinary education as ICE. While ICE does have a full-time culinary arts program for aspiring chefs, it also has individual classes that anyone can sign up to take. I've taken classes at ICE and I would never call myself a chef. Having taken a class there isn't necessarily indicative of her having any extensive formal education as a chef.

Edited by Rlb8031
  • Love 4

I am with you guys on the Bipolar. Mental illness can make someone a little hard to like even knowing they are suffering. That sucks. Now, I mostly feel sorry for her. Eddie is not just distancing himself, he is being outright cruel. When they are all labeling themselves as family members and he told her she was Emiles crazy girlfriend he brought home I couldn't believe he said that. He is capable of some really sick stuff since he knows she is troubled and is toying with her stability.

• Love 1

That was kind of a low blow. Of course, I'd have characterized her as the spoiled little sister who's always throwing tantrums and clamoring for everyone's attention, so she probably wouldn't have been thrilled by what I'd say instead.

Someone must have filled her in about David being gay (and taken) right off the bat, as she didn't go into flirty man-hunter mode instantly upon meeting him or even say anything about how eager she is for fresh meat in her THs before he came aboard.

• Love 2

I caught a few of the episodes during the marathon and reminded me of how ridiculous Rocky is about Kate. She wanted you to do the job that Rocky was hired to do and do it in a specific manner. She didn't even expect her to get it immediately and both Amy and Kate were patiently walking her through the procedures, in a situation Luke that it's important to have a system. And the few times she actually did her job correctly and without complaint she was quick with her praise.

Perhaps Kate should have been as awful to her as she was to Amy last year she would have jumped off the boat and kept on swimming much earlier in the season!

• Love 2

I was trying to figure out from the beginning where it went wrong between Kate and Rocky, but at least from what is shown it seemed like Rocky had a bad attitude from day 1, when she came in and proclaimed she was a chef/stew, and Kate let her know in fact she was a stew. I find it slightly humorous that Rocky is probably pretty close to the bottom of the ship totem pole, yet she is the one shouting for everyone to give her respect, and deciding who should stay/go.

• Love 2

OMG she's totally toxic...  a wigged out schizoid manic depressive with hints of sociopathy.  Be afraid Eddie, be very aftraid.  I truly hope they lose her and Emile, the worthless tool whose IQ is exceeded by his waist size.  I can't believe Connie was so quick to accept his apology for the name calling.  Captain Lee is pretty savy -- I can only hope that he doesn't bring either one of those two losers back for the next season.  I guess Bravo requires a certain level of drama so they'll probably be back to provide the 'people you love to hate' factor.

• Love 1

Is this a remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show

OMG she's totally toxic... a wigged out schizoid manic depressive with hints of sociopathy. Be afraid Eddie, be very aftraid. I truly hope they lose her and Emile, the worthless tool whose IQ is exceeded by his waist size. I can't believe Connie was so quick to accept his apology for the name calling. Captain Lee is pretty savy -- I can only hope that he doesn't bring either one of those two losers back for the next season. I guess Bravo requires a certain level of drama so they'll probably be back to provide the 'people you love to hate' factor.

Knowing Bravo Rocky will be the Captain next season. Edited by BrianJ62
  • Love 3

A person that is a 'ceiling gazer' like Rocky when talking to someone usually has something to hide. They are simply not being honest about what they're saying. Rocky is all about concealing her real self. Maybe she fears being seen as ordinary and that's the worse thing imaginable for Rocky. She wants to stand out and she'll do whatever it takes to do exactly that. She wants to present herself to others as a quirky, pretty, self-assured woman but in reality she only projects a person that's insecure, dishonest and desperate to be noticed. This girl has some deep seated emotional issues.

• Love 8

I think she's legitimately mentally ill as well. My totally super scientific analysis is that she has crazy eye syndrome. She has that same look as Amanda Bynes and Britney Spears had during their respective meltdowns...like they're taking in their environment but not really getting it.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 2

That was kind of a low blow. Of course, I'd have characterized her as the spoiled little sister who's always throwing tantrums and clamoring for everyone's attention, so she probably wouldn't have been thrilled by what I'd say instead.

Someone must have filled her in about David being gay (and taken) right off the bat, as she didn't go into flirty man-hunter mode instantly upon meeting him or even say anything about how eager she is for fresh meat in her THs before he came aboard.

I agree with both points and your analogy of the spoiled little sister throwing tantrums for attention is good! It's Rocky to a T but it would still say she's part of the family, not a stranger nobody likes.

Darn Eddie, Rocky is crazy and as far as I know Eddie is not and that's what makes his treatment of her so disgusting.

Disclaimer-

I only ever call reality show stars "crazy" - in real life I try not to use that term. :-)

Edited by freeradical
  • Love 1

Great find!  Yeah, she's nuts and so 'on' and frigging annoying. 

That said, when she can keep her gaze level and her head from bobble-ing all over the place, I think she's very beautiful.  But then she opens her mouth and game over.

The ceiling eyes thing could actually be a legit condition. It's called "oculogyric crisis" and it is basically the constant urge to look up. It's a type of dystonic reaction to different meds, such as antiemetics, antipsychotics, prokinetics, antidepressants, antiepileptics, and antimalarials . I know this because I have it and now have to take medication to prevent it...because it can become a really serious issue. For me it came from mixing two meds (Abilify and Domperidone, specifically) that when mixed together triggered that reaction and even though I don't take either med anymore the condition still stuck around. It also took me over a year to figure out what it was because it honestly seemed so ridiculous. So maaaaaybe that's Rocky's problem. I haven't watched the reunion yet so I dunno what her explanation is....but it could be an actual medical issue.

Read more here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculogyric_crisis

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 2
fliptopbox, on 24 Nov 2015 - 8:12 PM, said:

The ceiling eyes thing could actually be a legit condition. It's called "oculogyric crisis" and it is basically the constant urge to look up. It's a type of dystonic reaction to different meds, such as antiemetics, antipsychotics, prokinetics, antidepressants, antiepileptics, and antimalarials . I know this because I have it and now have to take medication to prevent it...because it can become a really serious issue. For me it came from mixing two meds (Abilify and Domperidone, specifically) that when mixed together triggered that reaction and even though I don't take either med anymore the condition still stuck around. It also took me over a year to figure out what it was because it honestly seemed so ridiculous. So maaaaaybe that's Rocky's problem. I haven't watched the reunion yet so I dunno what her explanation is....but it could be an actual medical issue.

Read more here

Wowza, fliptopbox - who knew?  Thank you for teaching me about something new.  I am so sorry to hear you still suffer from this condition.  But I can commiserate, because I was once prescribed Lyrica and have had tinnitus ever since taking it years ago - and that is NOT a known side effect of the drug! 

• Love 1

Wowza, fliptopbox - who knew? Thank you for teaching me about something new. I am so sorry to hear you still suffer from this condition. But I can commiserate, because I was once prescribed Lyrica and have had tinnitus ever since taking it years ago - and that is NOT a known side effect of the drug!

Maybe that's why I have tinnitus.

• Love 1

Read more here

She said that she looks up when she thinks, but who knows, maybe it is something like this and she gave a less personal explanation.

Idk, I actually do it too (look up when I think) but it's more a split second thing not like I'm counting ceiling tiles. I've even been accused of rolling my eyes when I do it. I've taken very basic psychology but isn't that a sign of lying when you have to think that hard to answer?

• Love 1