Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Miss America Pageant - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/21/2019 at 3:07 PM, Ladyrain said:

I can't believe how much I disliked the show this year.   So much talking!!!!   I actually fell asleep; had to rewind to watch the whole thing.  It felt like I was watching a corporate board meeting or an hours long HR interview session.    No glamor.  No fun.  Lousy format.  Too few talent contestants.   No evening gown competition.   Only three judges, who commented in real time like it was The Voice or something.  ---   There was nothing at all to make this show watchable, at least for me.   I hope they do some serious tweaking next year.

I know they're trying to be feminist but I think this is actually less feminist than a traditional pageant, because they're judging "intelligence" or whatever with a 90 second talent routine and a speech about their platform.  I'm all for removing the swimsuit competition if they want but it's not a pageant if it's not about anything you do on stage.  It's just a be pretty and bullshit competition.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, meatball77 said:

I know they're trying to be feminist but I think this is actually less feminist than a traditional pageant, because they're judging "intelligence" or whatever with a 90 second talent routine and a speech about their platform.  I'm all for removing the swimsuit competition if they want but it's not a pageant if it's not about anything you do on stage.  It's just a be pretty and bullshit competition.

It reminds me of how the magazines I get and used to love have totally changed to basically feature a large number of women every single month.  One magazine did it, and then the others had to do the same.  I am all for rewarding women, but I don't need a magazine to have those features every month.  I want the fun features.  

• Love 2