Type keyword(s) to search

Upcoming Panelists

According to the @Midnight web site, Jesse Joyce is the last minute replacement. Though I will agree we are SERIOUSLY OVERDUE for a Funches appearance. (I checked his web site, and he has a gig in Sacramento Thurs. night, so there's no way he would have been able to fly out.)

Lots of good guests coming up (Paul F. Tompkins! Nick Offerman! FUNCHES!!!), though I could definitely do without seeing the Sklars on this show so frequently.

11/10/14 Deon Cole, Eliza Coupe, Donald Faison
11/11/14 Rob Riggle, Randy & Jason Sklar
11/12/14 Bob Odenkirk, Mike Hanford, Mike Mitchell
11/13/14 Tom Lennon, Kerri Kenney-Silver, Ben Garant
11/17/14 Moshe Kasher, Natasha Leggero, Jerry Minor
11/18/14 Keegan-Michael Key, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel
11/19/14 Pete Holmes, Ron Funches, Steve Rannazzisi
11/20/14 Paul F. Tompkins, Nick Offerman, Aimee Mann

11/24/14-11/27/14 Reruns
12/1/14 Dave Hill
12/2/14 Tom Rhodes, Greg Proops
12/3/14 Chris D'Elia, Brent Morin

I wonder if we'll get another State reunion on the 11/13 episode.  And I am unreasonably excited for the shows the week of 11/17, especially for the 11/18 episode - because while I love me some Funches and Tompkins, for me, an episode of Key, Scheer and Hubel is like Christmas coming early.

For 11/13, I'm more hoping for a Reno 911 theme. They've already done The State. See if Carlos Alazraqui and Wendi McClendon-Covey and Niecy Nash have time to come sit in the audience.

• Love 1

Lots of good guests coming up (Paul F. Tompkins! Nick Offerman! FUNCHES!!!), though I could definitely do without seeing the Sklars on this show so frequently.

Agreed.  No likey Sklars. I just don't find them all that charming... or funny.

On the other hand?  I'll take all the Funches and Tompkins they're willing to give us. Also Nikki Glaser.

• Love 1

A few updates to the upcoming-guest list. Unfortunately, no more Paul F. Tompkins -- maybe he had a conflict and had to drop out. Hopefully he'll be rescheduled soon.

Mo 11/17: Moshe Kasher, Natasha Leggero, Jerry Minor
Tu 11/18: Keegan-Michael Key, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel
We 11/19: Pete Holmes, Ron Funches, Steve Rannazzisi
Th 11/20: Nick Offerman, Aimee Mann, Dana Gould

11/24-27: Reruns

Mo 12/1: Dave Hill, Morgan Murphy

Tu 12/2: Tom Rhodes, Greg Proops, W. Kamau Bell
We 12/3: TBA
Th 12/4: Chris D'Elia, Brent Morin

A few updates to the upcoming-guest list. Unfortunately, no more Paul F. Tompkins -- maybe he had a conflict and had to drop out. Hopefully he'll be rescheduled soon.

Mo 11/17: Moshe Kasher, Natasha Leggero, Jerry Minor

Tu 11/18: Keegan-Michael Key, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel

We 11/19: Pete Holmes, Ron Funches, Steve Rannazzisi

Th 11/20: Nick Offerman, Aimee Mann, Dana Gould

11/24-27: Reruns

Mo 12/1: Dave Hill, Morgan Murphy

Tu 12/2: Tom Rhodes, Greg Proops, W. Kamau Bell

We 12/3: TBA

Th 12/4: Chris D'Elia, Brent Morin

Meh.  Dana Gould hardly seems like a fair trade for Tompkins.  I can't say I know the guy's work well, but his comedy seems very vanilla (go play the cc video clips for him): http://www.cc.com/comedians/dana-gould

I was shocked to see the 12/4 Chris D'Elia, Brent Morin double bill. I'd thought the sitcom they were both on was canceled, but a little research shows it somehow got a renewal.  Odd that.

What I don't get is putting Ron Funches on the 11/9 show when he would have been the natural third to be on the 12/4 show.  Because you know... he's ON that sitcom.

• Love 1

A bunch of TBAs, but here are some of the upcoming guests. I'm glad to see Paul F. has been rescheduled.

11/24/14 Tom Lennon, Kerri Kenney-Silver, Ben Garant (R 11/13/14)
11/25/14 Jim Gaffigan, Michael Ian Black, Kyle Kinane (R 11/4/14)
11/26/14 Pete Holmes, Ron Funches, Steve Rannazzisi (R 11/19/14)
11/27/14 Pre-empted
12/1/14 Dave Hill, Morgan Murphy
12/2/14 Tom Rhodes, Greg Proops, W. Kamau Bell
12/3/14 Jon Daly, Arden Myrin, Matt Besser
12/4/14 Chris D'Elia, Brent Morin
12/8/14 Paul F. Tompkins, Brandon Johnson
12/9/14 Jim Jefferies, Rhys Darby
12/10/14 Judah Friedlander
12/11/14 Doug Benson
12/15/14 TBA
12/16/14 Kevin Pereira, Wil Wheaton
12/17/14 Alice Wetterlund, Mike Lawrence

12/15/14 TBA

12/16/14 Kevin Pereira, Wil Wheaton

12/17/14 Alice Wetterlund, Mike Lawrence

That's the last week of the Colbert Report, with the last Report on December 18. They haven't announced guests for the 18th, which could go two different ways. Either they expect a monster lead-in for that night and want to put on a special show or Colbert will be going for an  hour and preempting @midnigh entirely.

Monty may have been correct, as the 18th doesn't appear at all on the upcoming-guest listings.

12/8/14 Paul F. Tompkins, Alex Borstein, Brandon Johnson
12/9/14 Jim Jefferies, Rhys Darby, Al Madrigal
12/10/14 Judah Friedlander, Brooks Whelan, Mamrie Hart
12/11/14 Doug Benson, Megan Neuringer, Kurt Braunohler
12/15/14 Jessimae Peluso, Donnell Rawlings, TBA

12/16/14 Kevin Pereira, Wil Wheaton, TBA
12/17/14 Alice Wetterlund, Mike Lawrence, Matt Braunger

(break)

1/5/15 Ron Funches, Nikki Glaser, Jon Daly
1/6/15 Paul F. Tompkins, Grace Helbig, TBA
1/7/15 Andy Daly, TBA, TBA
1/8/15 Whitney Cummings, TBA, TBA
1/12/15 Marc Maron, Jen Kirkman, John Hodgman
1/13/15 Doug Benson, Hari Kondabolu, TBA
1/14/15 Patton Oswalt, TBA, TBA
1/20/15 Nick Thune, Ben Kronberg, TBA
1/21/15 Rory Scovel, Emily Heller, TBA

A few updates for next week. There will be an episode of @M following the final "Colbert"; Comedy Central will be airing a daylong "Colbert Report" marathon on Thursday.

12/15/14 Spike Feresten, Jessimae Peluso, Donnell Rawlings
12/16/14 Brooke Van Poppelen, Kevin Pereira, Wil Wheaton
12/17/14 Alice Wetterlund, Mike Lawrence, Matt Braunger
12/18/14 Margaret Cho,  Drew Carey, Blaine Capatch

Ron Funches and Nikki Glaser on the same show (Jan 5) is a recipe for a great episode.  Paul F. Tompkins and Grace Helbig together on Jan 6 isn't too bad either.  And I'll definitely tune in on Dec 16 for Wil Wheaton.  I find his interactions with Hardwick amusing.  Patton Oswalt on Jan 14 is another on my much watch list.

Margaret Cho and Drew Carey on Dec 18 is a great double booking.  Two old-er timers who probably work pretty well off each other (and while I haven't really been pining for Carey on this show, Cho's been on my wish list, if not at the top).

Whitney Cummings on Jan 8 can either suck or be good, depending on who's on with her.  She can suck all the fun out of a room, or be fairly funny, depending on who she's interacting with.  It'd be CRAZY and maybe fun if those two other TBA spots were fellow female comedians, rather than guys.  Not that I've ever even seen them appear on the same show/in the same room, but it would be interesting to see Sarah Silverman on the same time as Cummings, for example.  The two might not play well together, but even then that might be interesting to see.

Marc Maron and Jen Kirkman (Jan 12) are both people I like to see individually, but not sure I want them on the same episode. Actually strike that. The problem is Maron. I think he's funny, I guess, but I'm tired of the shtick he's been doing with Hardwick over the past 6 months or so (the whole faux-hostility shtick). The joke is played out.  If adding Kirkman can distract Maron into doing something else, maybe it won't be so annoying.

Edited by Kromm
but I'm tired of the shtick he's been doing with Hardwick over the past 6 months or so (the whole faux-hostility shtick).

Maron's been doing the hostility shtick with Hardwick and other for years to the point that I am not sure how faux it is! But listen to them when they have been on each other's podcasts and it's the same thing. 

A few changes/updates to the post-holiday bookings...

1/5/15 Ron Funches, Nikki Glaser, Jon Daly
1/6/15 Paul F. Tompkins, Tom Lennon, TBA
1/7/15 Andy Daly, Brett Gelman, TBA
1/8/15 Whitney Cummings, Neal Brennan, TBA
1/12/15 Marc Maron, Jen Kirkman, John Hodgman
1/13/15 Doug Benson, Hari Kondabolu, Grace Helbig
1/14/15 Patton Oswalt, TBA, TBA
1/20/15 Nick Thune, Ben Kronberg, TBA
1/21/15 Rory Scovel, Emily Heller, TBA

1/27/15 Jim Norton, TBA, TBA
2/2/15 Nick Kroll, TBA, TBA

Marc Maron and Jen Kirkman (Jan 12) are both people I like to see individually, but not sure I want them on the same episode. Actually strike that. The problem is Maron. I think he's funny, I guess, but I'm tired of the shtick he's been doing with Hardwick over the past 6 months or so (the whole faux-hostility shtick). The joke is played out.  If adding Kirkman can distract Maron into doing something else, maybe it won't be so annoying.

I would've loved if the third person they got for that episode was Kumail Nanjiani, just because he and Marc Maron are legitimately hostile to each other, and every time it's hilarious.  Usually I hate when people can't get along, because it makes me feel awkward, but for whatever reason, those two hating each other cracks me up every time.  Actually, a Marc Maron/Kumail Nanjiani/Michael Ian Black trio, while awkward, would probably be a dream episode of mine.

Jen Kirkman and Marc Maron have known each other for awhile I think (they both come out of the Boston comedy scene, though clearly, Marc is much older) so I think they'll play off each other well.

Part of me really wishes that Doug Benson would get slightly less high to do the show.  I really love him (Doug Loves Movies is probably my favorite podcast), but he's substantially less high there, and that's when you can tell how quick witted he really is.  

I would've loved if the third person they got for that episode was Kumail Nanjiani, just because he and Marc Maron are legitimately hostile to each other, and every time it's hilarious.  Usually I hate when people can't get along, because it makes me feel awkward, but for whatever reason, those two hating each other cracks me up every time.  Actually, a Marc Maron/Kumail Nanjiani/Michael Ian Black trio, while awkward, would probably be a dream episode of mine.

Jen Kirkman and Marc Maron have known each other for awhile I think (they both come out of the Boston comedy scene, though clearly, Marc is much older) so I think they'll play off each other well.

Part of me really wishes that Doug Benson would get slightly less high to do the show.  I really love him (Doug Loves Movies is probably my favorite podcast), but he's substantially less high there, and that's when you can tell how quick witted he really is.  

I think I recall Maron and Black interacting on The Meltdown show.  Actually I liked Maron a lot better in his backstage bits there, because while it was no doubt still somewhat crafted and not really totally spontaneous, it nevertheless seemed a bit more real to me than the shtick he does on every talk show, vlog, and/or on @midnight.  

Actually I've been wondering when they'll bring Black back on @midnight.  As I've said elsewhere (in the Wish list topic--but these topics all kind of mix in this forum), I'd love to see him and Tom Cavanaugh together, on @midnight, for a semi-Ed reunion/live setup for their very hilarious Mike and Tom Eat Snacks (something I bet most people don't even know they've been doing on and off for years--and on The Nerdist network, to boot).  Drag in Daryl Chill Miller too, from wherever he is these days (apparently still working, since he was just on NCIS: New Orleans).

Edited by Kromm

I think I recall Maron and Black interacting on The Meltdown show.  Actually I liked Maron a lot better in his backstage bits there, because while it was no doubt still somewhat crafted and not really totally spontaneous, it nevertheless seemed a bit more real to me than the shtick he does on every talk show, vlog, and/or on @midnight.  

Actually I've been wondering when they'll bring Black back on @midnight.  As I've said elsewhere (in the Wish list topic--but these topics all kind of mix in this forum), I'd love to see him and Tom Cavanaugh together, on @midnight, for a semi-Ed reunion/live setup for their very hilarious Mike and Tom Eat Snacks (something I bet most people don't even know they've been doing on and off for years--and on The Nerdist network, to boot).  Drag in Daryl Chill Miller too, from wherever he is these days (apparently still working, since he was just on NCIS: New Orleans).

I think MIB is still based out of NYC, which is probably why he's only been on twice: once for the NYC week, and once for The State reunion.  Which is a shame, because he's a very dryly funny guy, which I think works really well for the show.  There have been a few clunkers for episodes over the past two weeks, and I think that's because it's because we've had a few comedians who don't really have a whole lot of subtly or cleverness to their humor.

I think MIB is still based out of NYC, which is probably why he's only been on twice: once for the NYC week, and once for The State reunion.  Which is a shame, because he's a very dryly funny guy, which I think works really well for the show.  There have been a few clunkers for episodes over the past two weeks, and I think that's because it's because we've had a few comedians who don't really have a whole lot of subtly or cleverness to their humor.

Then it's bizarre they've been able to make the MATES podcast so much lately--ten episodes in the last thee months actually after like... a year before that of them having done none of them (unless they're doing a clever job of PRETENDING to be on the same coast and doing it over a wire).  I mean while The Flash is in production, there's no way Cavangh isn't on the West Coast--unless he's flying home to New York a ton. He's got a wife and kids, so I guess that kind of arrangement IS possible (keeping them put so the kids don't have to change schools and the wife maybe a job--I seem to recall she's a photographer or something like that, and Tom being a Super Frequent Flyer).

But I think it's possible that MIB has maybe had something in production on the West Coast the past few months and we just haven't seen it yet.  They allude to something Comedy Centralish on the MATES cast that's he's been working on.  Which admittedly could be on either coast, since CC works from both, but I'm just trying to place him and Tom on the same coast.

EDIT - yeah, I just listened to the latest MATES episode (from a week ago) and Cavanagh actually says the words "I live in New York City" and rants about Mayor DiBlassio for several minutes, so that matches up to him and Black both being there now.  I have to suppose The Flash episodes maybe were shot over the summer then, if Cavanagh has been home all fall to do these podcasts (and if MIB has had any LA work it hasn't been much).

Edited by Kromm

1/6/15 Paul F. Tompkins, Tom Lennon, TBA

"TBA" is now Paget Brewster, which is VERY EXCITING for fans of the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast, where she and Paul F. Tompkins make the "Beyond Belief" segments one of my favorite things in the world.

(Also many of the other dates have added guests, but Paget is the one I'm excited about)

Here is the latest list:

1/5/15 Ron Funches, Nikki Glaser, Jon Daly
1/6/15 Paul F. Tompkins, Tom Lennon, Paget Brewster
1/7/15 Andy Daly, Brett Gelman, Paul Scheer
1/8/15 Scott Aukerman, Steve Agee, Sarah Silverman
1/12/15 Marc Maron, Jen Kirkman, John Hodgman
1/13/15 Doug Benson, Hari Kondabolu, Grace Helbig
1/14/15 Ari Shaffir, Judah Friedlander
1/15/15 Whitney Cummings, Neal Brennan
1/19/15 Patton Oswalt, Kyle Kinane
1/20/15 Nick Thune, Ben Kronberg
1/21/15 Rory Scovel, Emily Heller, Rene Gube
1/26/15 Ken Marino, John Gemberling, Tymberlee Hill
1/27/15 Jim Norton, John Roy
2/2/15 Nick Kroll, Jon Daly, Seth Morris
2/11/15 Lauren Cohan, Robert Kirkman, Josh McDermitt

Bumping this up to remind everybody that for starting tomorrow, for 2 weeks, @Midnight will begin at 11:29 and 59 seconds instead of the usual 11:59. A Funches episode will be the perfect way to kick off the new year.

• Love 2

A few more changes/additions...

We 1/14: Ari Shaffir, Nick Swardson, Rob Riggle
Th 1/15: Whitney Cummings, Neal Brennan, Jeff Ross

Mo 1/19: Patton Oswalt, Kyle Kinane, Pete Holmes
Tu 1/20: Nick Thune, Ben Kronberg, Ali Wong
We 1/21: Rory Scovel, Emily Heller, Rene Gube
Th 1/22: TBA

Mo 1/26: Ken Marino, John Gemberling, Tymberlee Hill
Tu 1/27: Jim Norton, John Roy, Kurt Braunohler
We 1/28: Moshe Kasher
Th 1/29: Jason Sklar, Randy Sklar, Matt Walsh

Mo 2/2: Nick Kroll, Jon Daly, Seth Morris
Tu 2/3: TBA
We 2/4: Matt Braunger, Sara Schaefer

I don't really mind the Sklars. But because they take up two contestant slots, they tend to dominate their episodes. I'd be fine with a single-Sklar episode, but I guess they just don't do that.

Tu 1/27: Jim Norton, John Roy, Kurt Braunohler
We 1/28: Moshe Kasher, Michelle Wolf, Nikki Glaser

Mo 2/2: Nick Kroll, Jon Daly, Seth Morris
Tu 2/3: Jesse Joyce, Sarah Tiana, Roy Wood Jr.
We 2/4: Matt Braunger, Sara Schaefer, Maz Jobrani
Th 2/5: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi (is this going to be an all-Kiwis episode?)

Mo 2/9: Greg Proops
Tu 2/10: Judah Friedlander, Barry Rothbart
We 2/11: Lauren Cohan, Robert Kirkman, Josh McDermitt

See? How can I get mad at a show that gives me this lineup?

Because we ALSO get this (pretty much once per month):

But... we already covered this up thread.

You know what?  If we need "paired" brother comedians?  Try the Lucas Brothers instead a few times.

Next week's guests include Greg Proops, Mary Lynn Rajskub, and Emo Philips (Monday, February 9); Judah Friedlander, Barry Rothbart, and Annie Lederman (Tuesday, February 10); and Lauren Cohan, Robert Kirkman, and Josh McDermitt (Wednesday, February 11). "@midnight" is dark on Thursday, February 12.

(It's also dark Feb. 16-19.)

New shows will resume on the 23rd with Paul F. Tompkins and what appear to be two puppets: @StarThe Squirrel and @TalkingHotDog. Also scheduled for that week are Tom Lennon on 2/24 and Michael Ian Black, Jen Kirkman, and Kumail Nanjiani on 2/25.

Those puppets with Paul F. Tompkins are presumably there to promote their show "No, YOU Shut up!" It's a roundtable political talk show, with...PFT and puppets. It's on Fusion, which is a channel I do not have, so I'm surprised they're doing a promotional push for it.

In-character panels are interesting, but PFT is one of the people I want to be in character!

New shows will resume on the 23rd with Paul F. Tompkins and what appear to be two puppets: @StarThe Squirrel and @TalkingHotDog. Also scheduled for that week are Tom Lennon on 2/24 and Michael Ian Black, Jen Kirkman, and Kumail Nanjiani on 2/25.

The PFT show sounds interesting, if done right.

The show on the 25th, with Black, Kirkman and Nanjiani sounds like a must watch to me.  All three of them are comedy badasses.  I actually wish Black was on more often, but he lives on the wrong coast.  Kirkman is probably there TOO often (like the Sklars), but honestly, if it wasn't for her and Nikki Glaser, we'd be stuck without a female panelist half the time.  Thankfully they're both actually funny.

Honestly, I think rather than it being some one-off special event, the show should probably shoot in New York at least one week every few months, just to better exploit the comedians there who don't book L.A. gigs.  It's cheaper to fly Chris there by himself than to fly the comedians the other way.

Edited by Kromm

Here is the latest schedule, including repeat guests this week:

Mo 2/16: Nick Kroll, Seth Morris, Jon Daly (R 2/2/15)
Tu 2/17: Rob Riggle, Nick Swardson, Ari Shaffir (R 1/14/15)
We 2/18: Jonah Ray, Ben Kronberg, Ali Wong (R 1/20/15)
Th 2/19: Chris Parnell, Judy Greer, Aisha Tyler (R 1/22/15)

Mo 2/23: Paul F. Tompkins, Star Schlessinger, Hot Dog
Tu 2/24: Tom Lennon, Yvette Nicole Brown, Lindsay Sloane
We 2/25: Michael Ian Black, Kumail Nanjiani
Th 2/26: TJ Miller

Mo 3/2: Doug Benson, Jen Kirkman, Baratunde Thurston
Tu 3/3: Paul Scheer, Nick Frost, Kevin Smith
We 3/4: Whitney Cummings, Neal Brennan, Bryan Callen
Th 3/5: Trevor Moore

A few of next week's slots are still TBA, but I'm particularly excited about 3/11/15's all-British show (with Eric Idle!!!).

Mo 3/2: Doug Benson, Jen Kirkman, Baratunde Thurston
Tu 3/3: Kevin Smith
We 3/4: Neal Brennan, Bryan Callen
Th 3/5: Trevor Moore, Nick Thune, Heather Anne Campbell

Mo 3/9: Rhys Darby, Mamrie Hart
Tu 3/10: Mark Normand, Seth Herzog, Nikki Glaser
We 3/11: Eric Idle, Brian Cox, Robin Ince
Th 3/12: TBA

Mo 3/16: TBA
Tu 3/17: Paul Scheer, April Richardson, Sean Patton
We 3/18: Ron Funches, Rick Glassman
Th 3/19: Rob Huebel, Malin Akerman, Erinn Hayes

• Love 1

Just saw that tonight's guests along with Kevin Smith are Jessica Chobot and Matt Mira.

So I guess when they can't get actual comedians as guests, they are just grabbing Nerdist Industries employees out of the hallways now to fill out the show.

Plus, I can not stand Jessica Chobot -- they couldn't find anyone else to sub in ?