Type keyword(s) to search

Who's Your Doctor / Favorite Companion

• Start Topic

Four liked Jelly Babies, although Troughton said he was the first one to have them (I think he had them in one story, but I don't remember which.  Three was a food and wine connisseur, as seen in Day of the Daleks.  Six had to fight off Mel's offers of carrot juice, Eleven loved fish fingers and custard, and Ten hated pears.  The last thing he wanted to do after being John Smith for three months is to wake up and find he'd eaten a pear.

I don't have a favorite companion as I think that all the companions had good moments and bad moments, even some really horrible moments.  Mainly I felt that a combination of writing and acting really did each of them in for me.  As for the Doctors, I've only seen the NuWho and, of those, my favorite is the Ninth doctor, followed by the Eleventh.  I loved Christopher Eccleston's abliity to switch emotions so quickly without overdoing it.  For some reason, while I like David Tennant, I felt his doctor went to the dark side way emotionally way too fast and stayed there way too long.  There were times that he was supposed to look angry/upset/whatever (when he kind of reared back, opened his eyes wide and raised his eyebrows) and yet I thought he looked crazy or smelled something really bad, not angry or anything else.

I keep promising myself that I'm going to go back and watch the original Dr. Who, but I haven't yet.

I know they aren't actually a Doctor/Companion duo but I would have loved to see Donna as companion to Twelve. I think the actors would play beautifully off of one another. I feel like Capaldi would do better with a more mature companion though that will never happen because then the kiddies won't watch. Oh well.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have seen all NuWho and almost 80% of classicWHO- missing some of the very first episodes.

Fav combo- 10/Donna (closely followed by 11/Craig)

Fav stand alone companion- Sarah Jane

fav stand alone doctor- this is tough.  10 is "my" doctor, but I have a wholly inappropriate crush on Matt Smith and I really liked Amy (best backstory for a companion ever).  Also love Tom Baker, but Peter Capaldi has the capacity to be the best doctor depending on this upcoming season.  Clara is probably one of my least fav companions.  I loved Osgood in Dalek Asylum but never really warmed to Clara.

Edited by penguinnj

I'm re-watching Nu-Who (thank you Netflix) ..... and I'd forgotten how wonderful Christopher Eccleston was in the role; he and Billie Piper are just wonderful together (and they had some really great story lines to work with) ..... I think my favorite scene is the absolute joy Eccleston radiates when he proclaims "Just once Rose, every body lives" from The Doctor Dances.

• Love 1

My favorite dynamic was Nine, Rose and Jack. Maybe a little dash of Mickey too. Eccleston is amazing at switching emotions on the fly, the scene in Dalek when he loses it is probably one the best in SciFi history. And his forlorn looks at Rose were heartbreaking, he played that suppressed lust amazingly. 

• Love 3

Eccleston was interviewed recently and he said he'd wished he'd played more for comedy, and that he was too dark. I disagree, I loved Nine and how he played him. I waffle a lot between Nine/Ten - I wish Eccleston had another series. I liked Ten with Donna a lot, and Nine with Rose.

• Love 1

Watching Classic Doctor Who, the Second Doctor's pairing with Jaime and Zoe was a lot of fun.  Jaime was the Doctor's first real buddy and was the muscle of the team.  The Doctor and Zoe had a fun intellectual rivalry and she was a force with devising the scientific solutions.

• Love 2

Eccleston was interviewed recently and he said he'd wished he'd played more for comedy, and that he was too dark. I disagree, I loved Nine and how he played him. I waffle a lot between Nine/Ten - I wish Eccleston had another series. I liked Ten with Donna a lot, and Nine with Rose.

What I like about Nine is that he had a great balance of humor and darkness and I thought Eccleston played the Doctor brilliantly.  Ten became a little to manic and angst for my taste.  I did enjoy Smith's Eleven a lot ........ I like Capaldi - I'm not fond of Twelve - I think that's because the scripts are letting him down (that and the elevation of Clara).  

• Love 2

I like Ten better largely because I like David Tennant, but for the most part I think Eccleston actually turned in a better performance as Nine. I do not like Matt Smith's portrayal at all, it's like watching David Morissey spend an episode thinking he's the Doctor while wrong about it. I haven't seen more of Capaldi than the brief flash of his eyes in "The Day of the Doctor," but the actor is more in line with my favorite portrayals in the original series so I suspect I'll quite enjoy him.

I've only seen NuWho. I started watching the new episodes as soon as they started but wandered off because I couldn't hack whiny Mickey and the combination of him and Rose and Rose's mother was just too much annoying all in one place. I did watch Torchwood and a few random DW episodes with Tennant but I didn't 'fall in love' until I happened to catch the last episodes with Matt Smith, and then had to go back and rewatch from the beginning with Nine.  

Favorite is Eleven with Amy/Rory - the story lines were good, the relationships between the three of them were familial and endearing, and the peripheral characters - River, Brian, Craig, Vastra, Jenny, Strax - added rather than detracting. Even the grating Clara was good back in her incarnation as Oswin, go figure. I loved Amy and was astonished that the addition of Rory made things even better, rather than falling into the incessant whininess I was expecting. Also loved Ten with Donna. Still can't hack whiny Mickey but grew fonder of Rose, preferred her with Nine rather then Ten. Martha was just exasperating - she has a chance to explore the whole universe but gives it up out of pique because Ten isn't going to luv her and settle down and marry her. Granted, if she'd stayed some terrible fate would likely have befallen her, but, still - twit.

I liked all the Doctors...well, am trying hard to like Twelve because I don't want to not like any of the Doctors but it's a bit of a struggle, a touch of humour in the stories might help - I know they're going for dark and angst-ridden but that doesn't mean there can't be bits of warmth and charm in there. The departure of the grating Clara might help. 

Edited by Wulfsige
  • Love 2