Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Murphy

I just meant he seemed dumb so him figuring it all out, going back, sneaking in, and setting the place on fire seems like such a stretch. They should have just said the zombie bear broke free and ate them, which I kept expecting would happen. Talk about a dumb idea that one, keeping that thing in there.

So, basically, they were all dumb.  lol  "Stupid is as stupid does."

• Love 1

I'm still not clear why that woman was all hot for Murphy when he was scarred and rotten instead of going for someone young and pretty like 10 k or Mac but I guess that's could be chalked up as a matter of tastes.

I believe she called him the one with the sexy eyes.  After all, bloodshot eyes peering out from rotting flesh are so sexy.  Add in that he looked like he hadn't bathed since birth.  It's hard for a woman to hold herself back.  

This is true, yes. I think they were portraying them sort of like amazons, who IIRC supposedly abandoned male children or sent them back to their fathers (or killed them). Only here they waited till puberty, which I guess could be seen as giving them a chance (cause they were a bit bigger) or as a complete cruelty (cause they were still too young).

The head woman had mentioned her sister wives.  I saw the banishing of the young men similar to some religious cults that banish boys at puberty, although that is typically so they will not compete with the older men for the women/girls.  

• Love 1

1.  I can't remember why Cassandra is hombie.  Was she in the light plane crash with Murphy and about to die so he chomped her to save her? 

2.  Does anyone else think the extreme color palette is distracting?  It's washed out almost to black & white, then sometimes we get a blood red car or they'll switch to saturated blue/green/yellow filters like the scenes at the end.  There's enough going on, for me, without loading the dice.

• Love 1

1.  I can't remember why Cassandra is hombie.  Was she in the light plane crash with Murphy and about to die so he chomped her to save her?

I vaguely remember she got injured in the leg somehow and the sister wives were supposed to help with antibiotics but they were too busy recruiting new members to do a good job or something... So as she lay dying of some sort of infection Murphy chomped her face on the off chance that it'd prevent her from becoming a zombie after she died or to make a hombie... (It's unclear what his motivation was at that time since it happened off screen)

Why isn't the next episode out. I'm impatient for wacky hijinks.

• Love 1

What color is Murphy supposed to be? He looked very graphite gray in the beginning of the episode, but more periwinkle blue later on.

Does anyone else think the extreme color palette is distracting? It's washed out almost to black & white, then sometimes we get a blood red car or they'll switch to saturated blue/green/yellow filters like the scenes at the end. There's enough going on, for me, without loading the dice.

I was so distracted by Murphy's makeup, I totally missed the desaturation and filters. Thanks for the heads-up.

(It's unclear what his motivation was at that time since it happened off screen)

I thought it was just because he really isn't totally heartless.

ETA:  I wasn't paying attention when I posted this.  My comments were about White Light, so I'll put them on that thread.

Edited by peach
  • Love 3

I was so distracted by Murphy's makeup, I totally missed the desaturation and filters. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hee, sorry.

I was just watching Domino from 2005.   IMDb posters had a screaming fit about Tony Scott's new "acid flashback" choppy edit and color filter overload techniques.  I wanted to tell them it's all going strong and edgy-standard, ten years down the road.

The head woman had mentioned her sister wives.  I saw the banishing of the young men similar to some religious cults that banish boys at puberty, although that is typically so they will not compete with the older men for the women/girls.  

It's pretty common for the polygamist compounds to kick out most boys when they become teenagers so the women would already be used to that happening. And the older women would also be aware that the boys who stay turn into the adult men who have multiple wives that they can abuse without consequence. They would see their sweet innocent sons turn into evil men over and over again. As terrible as it would be to send away your own children, it made total sense to me that these particular women are okay with sending away the boys before they become abusers. And, as far as I remember, the only adult men we see the women attack were the men who had young girls chained up. They were not innocent victims. The women didn't attack any of the men in the main group as long as they didn't try to come into the compound or stay near the compound.

• Love 2

So, am I the only one who adores Roberta?

Nope!  She has a beautiful face and I love those curves.

It's pretty common for the polygamist compounds to kick out most boys when they become teenagers so the women would already be used to that happening.

I didn't know this.  I think lion prides do the same thing.

On a related note, did the Sisters of Mercy ever say how they replenished their ranks without men?  I know they take in some women but you would think they would want children to indoctrinate rather than relying solely on finding women.  Not all women are going to adopt their ways.  

A twisted part of me thinks they would've moved on to capturing and raping men to spawn the next generation of man haters.

On 9/12/2015 at 2:32 PM, Zanne said:

While I love this show, Cassandra's situation is the one that strikes me as the most cruel. She was trafficked for sex and food (human flesh) when the Z apocalypse began and now she's nearly in the same boat. Murphy's dressing her like a hooker and I don't know what she might eat as an HZ (human-zombie). Plus, she doesn't seem entirely autonomous; she's certainly not acting like the Cassandra I've seen in previous episodes. She's pretty much Murphy's slave now. Considering how hard she was fighting a similar position in season 1, it's cruel to have her there again, especially without enough control of her own thinking (I assume, since there's only been 1 episode) to make the decision if she wants out or not.

This--along with Murphy training the female zombies to do lesbian sex shows and pole dancing--really turned me off to the show, and I will probably quit watching if they continue to show Cassandra as an adoring HZ slave to Murphy. In the season 1 finale I kind of liked her turning into a HZ warrior, but in that scene she seemed both self-aware and acting out of free will (though maybe somewhat influenced by Murphy). Now she is reduced to an almost mindless sex toy (even if he doesn't actually have sex with her). I know not all female characters can be strong and independent, but this development is too much, especially in light of the character's history and the real-life misogyny going on in our country courtesy of the ruling party. It feels like this show was written by horny teenage or frat house guys.

I've also had enough of Murphy in general and really wish they would find another plotline. 

As others have said, there are so many things that don't make sense in this episode, not least of which is how can they or anyone in the area be alive, but one thing that stuck out for me was Citizen Z broadcasting the importance of getting Murphy to the CDC in California. Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but I thought the whole reason they took Murphy to Fort Collins was that Citizen Z told them the California lab was no longer an option. Maybe this was fake information that came from the evil doctor?