Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Murphy

I guess the girl was bound to come back to the group, but talk about a lame resolution to the badass separatist ladies plot.

Is the girl's family evil? I never expect nice people in these shows anymore, specially if they look nice.

Murphy looks so fugly.

Is Citizen Z gonna freeze to death? No way he can fix all that. And he had it so good there, too.

• Love 2

There was a lot of WTF in the Season 2 premiere, but the biggest one is that Murphy's girlfriend is very pregnant -- but they only left the compound a couple of weeks ago, how could she be so far along in her pregnancy ?  To the point that the baby can point directions to find Papa Murphy in utero.

Other questions are:

• How did Cassandra survive that nuclear explosion ?  Why isn't she radioactive and glowing in the dark ?
  • What happened to the other 4 nukes inbound to Citizen Z ?  Because there were 5 inbound at the end of last season.  And even though that nuke was taken out by a missile, why did it explode in a nuclear way melting all the ice, trashing Northern Lights base and thawing the zombies in the crashed plane ?
  • How is Mack still alive ?  And why is his limp where he was shot in the leg intermittent ? Sometimes its there, sometimes not.
  • Addie's story about how that 13 year old boy saw the nukes and returned to set fire to the compound and released the zombie bear makes no sense
  • How the heck did Mack and Addie get to outside of Cheyenne, Wyoming from southern Utah so quickly on that ATV ?  It's even further away than Fort Collins  ?
  • How come nukes went off all over the world in places like South Africa, and other parts of the continental North America ?
  • How did the father of that family know where the radiation hot zones were in Colorado ?  They haven't ventured far from that cabin in probably 3 years.
  • How did Roberta find Doc, Mack, 10K, and Addie to quickly ?  And how come Doc's shoulder wound seems to be ok all of sudden ?
  • How did Murphy get zombie strippers to make out ?  I know, I know, mind control, but that's some pretty specific command and control.

Citizen really needed a pair of gloves when he was outside shooting zombies.  Was that the same plane that crashed in the Season 1 premiere trying to leave Northern Lights ?  Because it should have been much further away from the door to the base.

That was definitely a shot at the latest Indiana Jones film when the evil doctor climbed into that fridge, but he didn't survive -- of course, he could come back as a zombie.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I am just so glad 10 K survived the season finale. I don't care how improbable it was.

I do wish Addie had stayed gone. I find her tedious, Mac is only slightly better though, their relationship drama holds no interest for me whatsoever.

Should we start calling Cassandra a Zoman or a Humbie ? Human Zombie ? Zombie Human?

Citizen Z should have spent some of that time out in the middle of nowhere practising how to shoot a gun instead of facebook stalking Addie.

• Love 2

There was a lot of WTF in the Season 2 premiere, but the biggest one is that Murphy's girlfriend is very pregnant -- but they only left the compound a couple of weeks ago, how could she be so far along in her pregnancy ?  To the point that the baby can point directions to find Papa Murphy in utero.

Other questions are:

• How did Cassandra survive that nuclear explosion ?  Why isn't she radioactive and glowing in the dark ?
  • What happened to the other 4 nukes inbound to Citizen Z ?  Because there were 5 inbound at the end of last season.  And even though that nuke was taken out by a missile, why did it explode in a nuclear way melting all the ice, trashing Northern Lights base and thawing the zombies in the crashed plane ?
  • How is Mack still alive ?  And why is his limp where he was shot in the leg intermittent ? Sometimes its there, sometimes not.
  • Addie's story about how that 13 year old boy saw the nukes and returned to set fire to the compound and released the zombie bear makes no sense
  • How the heck did Mack and Addie get to outside of Cheyenne, Wyoming from southern Utah so quickly on that ATV ?  It's even further away than Fort Collins  ?
  • How come nukes went off all over the world in places like South Africa, and other parts of the continental North America ?
  • How did the father of that family know where the radiation hot zones were in Colorado ?  They haven't ventured far from that cabin in probably 3 years.
  • How did Roberta find Doc, Mack, 10K, and Addie to quickly ?  And how come Doc's shoulder wound seems to be ok all of sudden ?
  • How did Murphy get zombie strippers to make out ?  I know, I know, mind control, but that's some pretty specific command and control.

Citizen really needed a pair of gloves when he was outside shooting zombies.  Was that the same plane that crashed in the Season 1 premiere trying to leave Northern Lights ?  Because it should have been much further away from the door to the base.

That was definitely a shot at the latest Indiana Jones film when the evil doctor climbed into that fridge, but he didn't survive -- of course, he could come back as a zombie.

Murphy's gf being very pregnant is the least nonsensical one of the things you mention, imo. Because she has a human/zombie thing inside of her, so we don't know the rules of that. The pregnancy progresses rapidly so we know it's not a normal one.

The others you mention were worse, to me. And I kept wondering how come no one is suffering from radiation poisoning when they were close enough to the blasts to be blown away. Isn't that a thing?

I was actually pretty disappointed with the episode. I thought they were trying too hard to be OTT and it didn't work because the plot was a mess. And I don't like the plot about everyone going after Murphy being the plot of the season.

• Love 4

Murphy's gf being very pregnant is the least nonsensical one of the things you mention, imo. Because she has a human/zombie thing inside of her, so we don't know the rules of that. The pregnancy progresses rapidly so we know it's not a normal one.

The others you mention were worse, to me. And I kept wondering how come no one is suffering from radiation poisoning when they were close enough to the blasts to be blown away. Isn't that a thing?

I was actually pretty disappointed with the episode. I thought they were trying too hard to be OTT and it didn't work because the plot was a mess. And I don't like the plot about everyone going after Murphy being the plot of the season.

Shouldn't Citizen Z being suffering from radiation poisoning too -- because the energy from that explosion was enough to melt a lot of snow fast, and destroy parts of the base. Normally a missile strike would just breakup the incoming missile, so I'm not sure why the explosion was so large and partially radioactive.

And weren't Doc, Roberta and 10K inhaling air laden with radioactive ash fallout.  Maybe the radiation fixed Doc's gunshot wound in his shoulder.

While I understand the deadman's switch causing a nuke to be launched at the Fort Collins lab for safekeeping so that nothing gets out, why would it trigger over 20 nuclear missile launches worldwide.  Took a look at Citizen Z's displays and here's a list of the cities that were targeted:

List of nuke destinations from S1 finale:

• Fort Collins
  • Seattle
  • Las Vegas
  • Los Angeles
  • Detroit
  • New York
  • Southern Florida
  • Somewhere in Vermont

When it cuts to Citizen Z's console in the Season 2 premiere, add in all the international destinations (not sure I got them all):

• San Francisco
  • Atlanta
  • Bogota, Columbia
  • Recife, Brazil
  • Brasilia, Brazil
  • Moscow
  • Melbourne
  • Brisbane
  • Hong Kong
  • Jerusalem
  • London
  • Stockholm
  • Paris
  • Madrid

I hope the lab in California isn't in LA or San Francisco -- because it's probably toast.

I'm genuinely surprised that all these missile launch facilities still had power after 3 years -- and were still tied into the satellite networks -- and still had fuel for the missiles.  And the even weirder thing is that numerous launches came from the direction of Antarctica -- are all the US Navy ballistic missile subs hanging out around the Southern Ocean ?

And for some reason, the compound members in Utah stood on a hill and saw numerous nuclear explosions in the direction of Fort Collins, but there was only one missile impact there according to Citizen Z's screens.

I'm still boggled that Murphy had a generator to power his strip club.  Wouldn't the locals of Cheyenne, and we saw several of them, be using that for legitimate purposes other than powering pole dancing lighting and sound systems ?  And why didn't anyone in Cheyenne, with the exception of the two guys that came looking for Murphy (one in the bar and one in the clothing store) not approach this rag tag group ?

How did the zombies know to head in the direction of Citizen Z before they even saw him or he started shooting ?

After 3 years with no power, why were there so many people around the world listening to radios to pickup Citizen Z's transmission ?  Because the folks in Cheyenne were johnny-on-the-spot as bounty hunters for Murphy.

That code that Addie kept hearing on the radio was:  5 5-3-7 7-9-8 8-3-4 5-1-3 7 

The Doomsday prepper father pointed out based on what he had heard (from who exactly ? Who would be providing updates like that over the radio ?) that everything west of a longitude line going through approx. Telluride, CO was a no-go zone -- but wouldn't have Mack and Addie had to drive through that part of Colorado to get to Cheyenne, Wyoming from southern Utah ?  He further pointed out that there was more fallout in an area west of Pueblo and an area centered on I-70 near the Kansas border.  Funny that he didn't mention the gaping radioactive crater near Fort Collins -- I guess his sources missed out on that one.

Roberta follows up by pointing out that the tunnel where she crashed was about 50-60 miles east of Fort Collins -- which should be rife with radiation since its downwind from the nuclear blast that destroyed the lab.  

I'm still curious how the Spanish speaking guy on the radio knew that Murphy was in Cheyenne, unless the Spanish speaking guy lived in Cheyenne and had seen him.  Maybe. I guess.

I had to laugh at Addie's lines of dialogue after they group discovers that Cassandra is alive.

Addie: "I'm sorry. What is she wearing ? Is that mildly impractical for the apocalypse ?

Murphy: "You try dressing a classy lady in Cheyenne, Wyoming."

Why was there still booze in that bar after 3 years ?  Should have been the first thing to go after the Zombie Apocalypse -- since there are still people living in Cheyenne.

Who else is willing to pay good money for Murphy ?  And how would that guy in the bar even know about these other people ?

Towards the end of the zombie fight in the bar

Roberta: "We gotta get out of here."

Doc: "I know, I can't stand this music."

Not sure why 10K pumped that Z so full of foam from that fire extinguisher that he exploded -- just filling him up seemed to be enough to disable him.  He popped like a balloon, and 10K cringed before it happened so he knew the Z was going to pop.

So, Murphy is driving away fast in a mini-van (did he steal it from that woman we saw driving what looks like the same Toyota mini-van earlier ?) and the group decides to leave the ATV and trailer and chase him on foot.  Unless they commandeer a vehicle, how do they expect to catch him ?

If pregnant compound lady is following Murphy with directional help from her unborn child, wouldn't she have to drive through the radioactive no-go zone in western Colorado ?  And if it has been 3 years since the Zombie Apocalypse began, why is there a freshly cut hay field behind her in that scene -- that has been neatly raked into windrows ?  

I really enjoy the characters in this show, but the plot is an absolute mess.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I loved it, I'm not ashamed to say it. It's just such an Asylum show...it's fun to sit back and enjoy the zombie apocalypse a little bit. If I want realism, I watch The Walking Dead. I like that this show is corny and incoherent and dumb, because sometimes that's just what I need, especially as a start for my weekend. :-)

***That's not to say that I disagree with anyone else; it is a DUMB show..........I just love it***

Same here.  :)

The actors make it work, IMO.  "Is your name Murphy?"  "...Nope."  lol

I'm just along for the ride.

• Love 1

I kept wondering how come no one is suffering from radiation poisoning when they were close enough to the blasts to be blown away. Isn't that a thing?

But Warren, 10K & Doc tied clothing around their heads for that one scene. (Seriously, I have little problem suspending disbelief for this "popcorn show.")

I love the closed captioning. Lots of "splorches."

I guess [Addy] was bound to come back to the group, but talk about a lame resolution to the badass separatist ladies plot.

So lame: "Yep, men're pigs. [Shrug.]"

I don't like the plot about everyone going after Murphy being the plot of the season.

^This. Warren let that guy get away just so he could be the Big Bad. But this show pleasantly surprised me with season 1, so I'm willing to cut it some slack. This episode was way more fun than Fear the Walking Dead.

• Love 3

While I love this show, Cassandra's situation is the one that strikes me as the most cruel. She was trafficked for sex and food (human flesh) when the Z apocalypse began and now she's nearly in the same boat. Murphy's dressing her like a hooker and I don't know what she might eat as an HZ (human-zombie). Plus, she doesn't seem entirely autonomous; she's certainly not acting like the Cassandra I've seen in previous episodes. She's pretty much Murphy's slave now. Considering how hard she was fighting a similar position in season 1, it's cruel to have her there again, especially without enough control of her own thinking (I assume, since there's only been 1 episode) to make the decision if she wants out or not.

I know, I'm overthinking a silly-fun show, but it bummed me out.

• Love 9

After last season finale, this episode was bound to be a bit disappointing. It's like "oh, yes, there were some nuclear explosions all around the world, but we're fine, it's fine, look, zombies!". I didn't like the scenes with Murphy and the zombies, they were too ridiculous. Things like Amish zombies or stoned zombies work because you can feel is something that it could happen in a ZA, but Murphy was acting like a lunatic for no apparent reason. I mean, was he insane at the end of the last season? Because I don't remember that.

Otoh, there were lots of things I liked: seeing the gang together, their fights against the zombies, the new guy, even  the pregnant woman. Can't wait to see that baby! There were some funny lines too. I'm glad this crazy show is back.

I just really enjoy this show. I am concerned for Citizen Z and the dog and hope that they are in it for the long run. This was fun and showed a new plot line for season 2-everyone wants Murphy. I find the make-up job on him interesting and wonder how they'll be able to be consistent with it. Cassandra is the only character that I'm not fully behind at this point.

• Love 2

I think the idea was that the kid figured it out before that and came back to attack the compound for revenge. The nuke show provided an opportunity because all the ladies left the camp to watch the show. (I don't think nukes really make a light show like that, as opposed to a handful of very brief, bright flashes but whatever-- they weren't sure they were nukes, so they weren't apparently seeing the mushroom clouds, just the flashes.).

There was a lot of tedious undoing of the finale in this one. That's a problem with cliffhangers. Hopefully, now that the band is back together the episodes will be more interesting.

I was going to ask how 10K could throw a pool ball hard enough to actually embed in someone's skull, but then he exploded someone with just the pressure inside an ordinary fire extinguisher, so it's clear; 10K is magical.

OMG! I wasn't putting it together that Cassandra was the girl who was imprisoned at first and is now Murphy's "pet" half zombie! I know the Zombie Apocalypse is a cruel world but jeez.

Maybe the actress complained about not getting enough lines? And so the writer's said, "You think you don't get enough lines now, try this."

More realistically, it's not a very interesting place to go. Characters who can't speak usually get boring pretty fast.

ETA: Oops. Upon review, I guess she can still speak, a little. Still not sure it's a good direction for a character.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

There was a lot of tedious undoing of the finale in this one. That's a problem with cliffhangers. Hopefully, now that the band is back together the episodes will be more interesting.

I think maybe they tried to design the show so that the finale could be The End of the show if it didn't get picked up, but have some wiggle room to move forward if they were fortunate enough to get a second season ordered.  It's really frustrating when a show doesn't get picked up and you wasted a season with no resolution.  So...the end could have been implied final destruction.  They get a second chance now, which means we have to accept they are surviving nuclear radiation.  That's a bit of a stretch even in a zombie show, but, what the hell.  Why not, I guess.

• Love 5

I think maybe they tried to design the show so that the finale could be The End of the show if it didn't get picked up, but have some wiggle room to move forward if they were fortunate enough to get a second season ordered.  It's really frustrating when a show doesn't get picked up and you wasted a season with no resolution.  So...the end could have been implied final destruction.  They get a second chance now, which means we have to accept they are surviving nuclear radiation.  That's a bit of a stretch even in a zombie show, but, what the hell.  Why not, I guess.

Even more, the finale seemed to be set up so they could write out absolutely anybody who didn't want to come back (except Murphy whose skin-shedding would have been a cover for changing actors). As it turned out, everyone came back. So there was a lot of undoing to be done.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 3

Even more, the finale seemed to be set up so they write out absolutely anybody who didn't want to come back (except Murphy whose skin-shedding would have been a cover for changing actors). As it turned out, everyone came back. So there was a lot of undoing to be done.

I don't mind having to undone things, but wanting to do it all in an episode just didn't work for me. I don't expect complete perfection and flawless logic from Z nation, but that episode was a mess. Everyone scattered finding each other in forced ways (even for this show), Murphy just wasting time playing with his zombies because the show just likes to be OTT, a repeat of last year's plot (get Murphy to California!) but with a more annoying bounty hunters twist, destroying what I thought was one of the neatest things of S1 (the badass women with their awesome colony)...

I don't know, it felt just thrown together in a really crappy way. Nothing makes me interested to see what will happen next, and this comes from someone who actually looked forward to Helix every week. I liked the show a lot in Netflix, but after this I'm kind of not interested anymore in watching live. Maybe I'll check it out later when it gets to Netflix again.

• Love 1

I actually love that they all manage to find each other no matter what.  It makes it far less tedious.  They've let us know this is just how the show is going to work, so it's sort of amusing.  It reminds me of The A-Team or something like that. I feel like THIS is more like a comic book show, and TWD/FTWD are the ponderous, heavy melodramas.  I mean, I love TWD, but I don't need more of that.

• Love 5

Don't you go blind from looking at a nuke blast?  They missed an opportunity to steal from "Night of the Triffids."  Although, that would have made Roberta, 10K and Doc blind, so that wouldn't be good.

And if you're close enough to a nuke blast that the blast wave is almost outrunning your car, shouldn't the EMP have already passed you and killed your car?

Oh, why do I ask these questions?

I think the idea was that the kid figured it out before that and came back to attack the compound for revenge. The nuke show provided an opportunity because all the ladies left the camp to watch the show. (I don't think nukes really make a light show like that, as opposed to a handful of very brief, bright flashes but whatever-- they weren't sure they were nukes, so they weren't apparently seeing the mushroom clouds, just the flashes.).

I thought that kid had a very Forrest Gump quality about him, so it's kind of silly that he pulled this all off.  But Forrest did fight in the army, so maybe even Forrest Gump goes bad in the Zombie Apocalypse.

ETA:  10K, what have I told you about talking during the show?  Just shoot Z's and look pretty, m'kay?  Thx.

Edited by MrHufflepuff
  • Love 2

I liked it. I mean, I wasn't expecting realism, so I'm totally cool with no radiation poisoning (that would ruin 10K's beautiful face, so....), the gang getting back together, Murphy and stripper zombies. 

I was also waiting for the family to be all "no you can't leave, we are going to chain you up in the basement and eat you slowly" so it's nice to see there are nice people.  It gets a bit tiresome on the Walking Dead that everyone they encounter sucks. 

I swear, though, the dog better make it.  

If the dog dies, we riot?

• Love 2

I was also waiting for the family to be all "no you can't leave, we are going to chain you up in the basement and eat you slowly" so it's nice to see there are nice people. It gets a bit tiresome on the Walking Dead that everyone they encounter sucks.

A game I like to play is "Spot the Differences Between Z Nation and The Walking Dead": Zombie baby. A cure. They killed their "Rick"—twice!

This episode was the family who was neither evil (immediately, anyway) nor zombie chow (aka redshirts). Also, Addy's hairstyle changed from a cult updo to something more casual.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2
I was also waiting for the family to be all "no you can't leave, we are going to chain you up in the basement and eat you slowly" so it's nice to see there are nice people.  It gets a bit tiresome on the Walking Dead that everyone they encounter sucks.

I don't know, the girl didn't really want Warren to leave and it was like her eyes were screaming "don't go!" I'm kind of waiting for Warren to go back later in the season and find something bad.

"Why was there still booze in that bar after 3 years ?"

Liquor stores and breweries would have been hit before a bar. Too much booze in other words. As for generators I would be more interested as to where they got the gas since the fuel after a year would have turned bad and not worked. Unless they were using biodiesel.

As for radios you can buy hand cranked ones. Yep they make radios that you crank the handle to make the juice to make the radio run in emergencies and third world countries. 

This show is seriously the best.  I love that they embrace the 'wtf'.  

Oh, Doc is dying of a bullet wound?  Wtf, who cares, he's all better now.

Oh, there are a gazillion nuclear missiles headed to Citizen Z?  wtf, who cares, he just needs to hang tight for a few minutes.

Oh, Cassandra shows up after a nuclear explosion?  wtf, who cares, she's cassandra that's why.

Oh, we didn't like the storylines opened with the cliffhangers in the finale?  wtf, we'll just drop them all in the first half hour of the premier and who cares who notices.

This show don't even care and that's why it's the shizzle.  

• Love 6

I don't mind having to undone things, but wanting to do it all in an episode just didn't work for me. I don't expect complete perfection and flawless logic from Z nation, but that episode was a mess. Everyone scattered finding each other in forced ways (even for this show), Murphy just wasting time playing with his zombies because the show just likes to be OTT, a repeat of last year's plot (get Murphy to California!) but with a more annoying bounty hunters twist, destroying what I thought was one of the neatest things of S1 (the badass women with their awesome colony)...

Wait you think the women who were sending their own children off to die were awesome ?

Them finding each other so easily was fairly contrived but this isn't the first time they've found each other in nonsensical ways so it's not exactly unprecedented.

I'm not sure how I feel about a repeat of that plot line of people fighting over Murphy. It was interesting the first time and it was sort of amusing the second time but a third time of the same plot line may be dull.

• Love 3

Loved this episode, love having the show back, which is this great mix of ridiculous and emotional, stunningly thoughtful and then completely crazy.

It's as if the writers realized pretty quickly that they couldn't really work around the problem of a nuclear meltdown, so they basically just shoved the uncomfortable/impossible aspects of the fallout into a handful of dialogue (telling Murphy he killed millions of people, the weird Colorado map), and went along with the plot. On one hand, frustrating. (And really, they all should be dead.) On the other hand, kind of refreshing: no long, dragged-out resolution or radiation sequences. Just -- bam, the band is back together & still trying to get Murphy to CA. The reunion scene between Mac & Addie captured this dynamic perfectly: he shows up while she's killing the last compound zombie, she briefly summarizes what happened to the women, and he says, "you coming with me?" No apologies, no reunions, no rehashing the past: just straight to the point. 

So the Cassandra-as-zombie-plaything made me extremely uncomfortable, too, knowing the character's past. But I think at least the actress remembered her backstory, if not the writers, and it came out when she looked in the mirror and the zombie tried to feel her up. She had a reaction as if the human part of her was tying the current action back to her past.

I was fearful that we'd lose a cast member immediately (Roberta would fit the profile), and feel strangely grateful that the entire gang made it through the episode.

OttoDbusdriver, Murphy addressed the booze in the strip club problem by saying the zombies were successful at keeping people out of the bar for the past several years. I guess it's like the zombies we saw at the nuclear plant last season who also continued to hang around their worksite.

Edited by sportsgirl
  • Love 3

I agree...the Sisters of Mercy werre not awesome. Murdering people in cold blood and sending your own children to die does not make you awesome. It makes you asnbad as the people you claim are so bad.

I liked the nods to sci-fi movies (the evil doc in the fridge for Indiana Jones IV and taking cover in a tunnel to avoid blast wave from Independence Day). That evil doc totally survived. You don't expect that to pass on the evil villian with a disfigured face trope do you?

They actually explained all the supplies Murphey found. He said that he found a stash in the basement that was overlooked because the place was so full of zombies it warded off all the looters. At least it's some kind of explanation unlike the most egrious plot point....how Cassandra not only got out of the base and avoided the blast but also followed Murphy--who was booking it in a van--all the way to Wyoming. As for the nukes Citizen Z saw, only one was inbound to him. He's basically at the top of the world and the shortest route between continents for many destinations would go over his location. But speaking of being in the attic if there were holes in roof and it was snowing inside he would have been frozen pretty quick. It's also pretty implausible it would have been damaged that badly. It's amlast resort facility, loaded with advanced tech, decades of provisions and a cache of weapons. The facility would have been hardened against explosions, if not partially or completely underground.

Mack was weird in this episode. So he was just hanging around the compound, which we basically knew, but doing what? Watching? Planning? Just hoping Addy would walk out one day? And he just rolls up, mumbles a few words and they're off. And he doesn't say much the rest of the time. I'm not looking forward to broody Mack. Of course I'm not liking what the did with Cassandra either. I know Murphy's a jerk but he was starting to like the gang and I don't buy her treat her like that. Plus as has been mentioned its just a shitty thing to do to the character and actress.

• Love 1

Wait you think the women who were sending their own children off to die were awesome ?

Clearly not that part. But yes to the rest, as far as I remember. :) I liked the idea of women fending for themselves and doing what they had to do to survive. The show had to make them evil in some way cause of course *eyeroll* , but I liked the idea and thought they were kick ass (ignoring the bad parts). They had tight security, the compound was lovely and even grew good food IIRC.

It irked me that they were wiped out just like that, in such a lame way and with 30 seconds of exposition.

Plus, lmao sure, sure, that dumb kid made it back and destroyed everything.

Edited by natyxg

Clearly not that part. But yes to the rest, as far as I remember. :) I liked the idea of women fending for themselves and doing what they had to do to survive. The show had to make them evil in some way cause of course *eyeroll* , but I liked the idea and thought they were kick ass (ignoring the bad parts). They had tight security, the compound was lovely and even grew good food IIRC.

It irked me that they were wiped out just like that, in such a lame way and with 30 seconds of exposition.

Plus, lmao sure, sure, that dumb kid made it back and destroyed everything.

Well they had a functioning mini community but that's not really much of a measure of things as the community Roberta came from seemed pretty happy and civilised before the boat of the dead. As well as the no weapons compound before the whole religious zealots problem.

That female community sent their male children off to die instead of just stabbing them in the brain to at least give them mercy instead of cursing them to be zombies for their potential crimes as men. They also served shotgun vigilant style justice via Zombie bear and random zombification via chain gang without even confirming guilt of the parties. They were needlessly vindictive and their pleasant society was rotten to the core. I'm still not clear why that woman was all hot for Murphy when he was scarred and rotten instead of going for someone young and pretty like 10 k or Mac but I guess that's could be chalked up as a matter of tastes.

• Love 3

That female community sent their male children off to die instead of just stabbing them in the brain to at least give them mercy instead of cursing them to be zombies for their potential crimes as men. They also served shotgun vigilant style justice via Zombie bear and random zombification via chain gang without even confirming guilt of the parties. They were needlessly vindictive and their pleasant society was rotten to the core. I'm still not clear why that woman was all hot for Murphy when he was scarred and rotten instead of going for someone young and pretty like 10 k or Mac but I guess that's could be chalked up as a matter of tastes.

The thing about it though, was that given that they're a few years into the zombie apocalypse it's not gonna be mostly nice men that have made it, so I got why they were so vicious and strict with their rules. Inside the compound it was more than just a little pleasant, it was very nice looking, and though it had a cult-y vibe, I don't remember that it was implied that the women were mistreated there.

But anyway, I don't remember all the details anymore. The point is that I liked the idea and while I didn't like that the show had to make them evil they were still bad ass in their own way and deserved more of a send off than 30 seconds of exposition, and lame exposition at that. Cause if memory serves me right that kid that supposedly came back and destroyed it wasn't just 13, he was duuumb.

• Love 2

They actually explained all the supplies Murphey found. He said that he found a stash in the basement that was overlooked because the place was so full of zombies it warded off all the looters. At least it's some kind of explanation unlike the most egrious plot point....how Cassandra not only got out of the base and avoided the blast but also followed Murphy—who was booking it in a van—all the way to Wyoming.

I'm not looking forward to broody Mack. Of course I'm not liking what the did with Cassandra either. I know Murphy's a jerk but he was starting to like the gang and I don't buy her treat her like that. Plus as has been mentioned its just a shitty thing to do to the character and actress.

Both of Murphy's offspring seem to have the ability to track him + an overwhelming desire to be with him—hence Cassandra throwing herself into Murphy's arms. The latter is the only thing that helped me be slightly okay with her situation. She's sentient, and knows she's not quite a zombie—but at least she's happy when he's around. (Her other friends, not so much.)

Murphy thinks he saved Cassandra, which is more than the others did for her. But his meat puppets show he's gone off the deep end. As Doc said, Murphy needs the cure. Cassandra, too—if she makes it that long.

• Love 3

. I'm glad this crazy show is back.

when I was young, I used to watch the Avengers where people died ridiculous deaths, I think that is why I watched it, where there were many violent shows on the air, the violence was "clean" on the avengers. I don't try and make sense of things here, like how citizen Z finds people through fast food  ordering cameras. 

But... As to radiation poisoning, I think you can survive it under certain conditions, I think back to all those people who survived Hiroshima and lived to 90.

I don't know enough about gas/oil deteriorating, but if it was that much of a problem, they would not be driving anywhere ever.

as to the missiles still being active, aren't they set to be on autopilot with computers with all kinds of back ups? I can see where they all deploy.I find a lab being a nuclear target far more unbelievable. There are other ways of controlling this kind of contamination.

Murphey being Crazy That is the most believable, Last season, he saw that lab guy left to live as a who knows what lump. He was about to be part of the mad scientist craziness. All the people he trusted led him to that place in time. Yeah, I can see him being crazy, That makes the most sense out of everything.

• Love 2

I don't know enough about gas/oil deteriorating, but if it was that much of a problem, they would not be driving anywhere ever.

Its a problem in the real world. Hence why smart post apoc fiction tends to have them being able to have a refinery system or use some other fuel such as liquor or on steam. In fact a lot of early gasoline cars such as the Model T were made to run on alcohol. Had to be 150 or higher proof.  

Missles can be set on a computer to trigger automatically if the sensor system detects certain things say a nuclear launch. Called a Dead's man switch. Soviet Union had such a system in place that they only turned on when it looked like the US may launch a decapitation strike. 

Radiation poisoning from nukes. Depends upon how many nukes, their yield and how far you are away. Most fallout is gone in an hour or two and most nukes that would be used the radiation would be in the cities that were hit. Its only when you have the real nasty nukes with cobalt casing that fallout really becomes a global concern since cobalt cased nukes are a doomsday weapon. 

references to TWD..

. "I heard it from a cop that had a group in a prison in Georgia ".... there's a few others..

saw this and another form has anybody noticed this reference and who said it and where it can be found

As far as radiation poisoning/gunshots.

It's like the old westerns John Wayne gets shot

next day he's riding shooting like nothing happened what's the problem

I'm not clear where Murphy's head is any more. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love watching him. But before, he had priorities I could understand.

Originally it was himself, followed distantly by people he liked.

Then, it was himself, still followed by people he liked, but with zombies gaining ground on them, because of the psychic empathy he was developing for the latter.

If, by this time, it was him, then zombies, then people he liked in last, I could still understand that progression.

Or, if they overlapped enough that he felt conflicted.

But he doesn't particularly act like he gives a shit about the zombies any more. Oh, sure, he defended them verbally against the bounty hunter who killed them,but that was just for something to say to an enemy. Obviously, he was going to kill that guy anyway. Afterwards, he thought zombies eating each others' faces off was funny, and he deliberately made another one lose an arm, thereby dramatically decreasing her odds of surviving in a violent world.

I can understand a bit of sadistic anger in dealing with people who want to capture him and turn him into a laboratory animal, but towards the zombies it really doesn't fit what we've seen of his personality. That part of the show felt like a completely different writer had barged in and taken over.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

So, am I the only one who adores Roberta?

Nope!  She rocks.

So I just grade this show on how much fun I'm having vs how much I roll my eyes. Baby in the womb giving directions makes me roll my eyes, but I was having more fun than eye-rolling, so whatever.  I also hand-waved away the nukes and Doc's bullet wound because it's this show.

Fun stuff - "Is your name Murphy" "Nope"; 10K shooting a zombie attacking Addie's boyfriend, we peek through the hole and see Doc waving.  Hee.  The way they all found each other is fun too.  I enjoy the overall silly vibe and I love Roberta being so bad-ass. 

I'm hoping that the whole season won't revolve around Murphy like we did last season.  Maybe they'll get to CA soon and find there's nothing there or something.  I like all the characters but Murphy is best in small doses for me; I don't want everything to revolve around him. 

But he doesn't particularly act like he gives a shit about the zombies any more.

I noticed this as well.  I think this is intentional on the show's part because of how uncomfortable everyone was during the stripper show; even Murphy didn't seem like he was having a good time, it was just something to do.  So they might be going somewhere with his attitude change.  Cassandra might be in that mix; him choosing clothes for her was uncomfortable, but she was with him by choice it seemed to me; she followed him because she wanted to.  I agree with editorgrrl's take, she's sentient and making choices.  So I wonder if she will have some influence on his behavior.

I forgot there were any zombies around Citizen Z, so thanks to all who mentioned a downed plane.  I couldn't figure out where they came from. 

If the dog dies, we riot?

I'd be on board for that!

Edited by raven
  • Love 3

The thing about it though, was that given that they're a few years into the zombie apocalypse it's not gonna be mostly nice men that have made it, so I got why they were so vicious and strict with their rules. Inside the compound it was more than just a little pleasant, it was very nice looking, and though it had a cult-y vibe, I don't remember that it was implied that the women were mistreated there.

But anyway, I don't remember all the details anymore. The point is that I liked the idea and while I didn't like that the show had to make them evil they were still bad ass in their own way and deserved more of a send off than 30 seconds of exposition, and lame exposition at that. Cause if memory serves me right that kid that supposedly came back and destroyed it wasn't just 13, he was duuumb.

Well, burning down a functioning, usable compound out of revenge was, in fact, dumb!  But I have two sons, and I'd take out Kelly McGillis before I'd let them be thrown out to die.

The thing about it though, was that given that they're a few years into the zombie apocalypse it's not gonna be mostly nice men that have made it, so I got why they were so vicious and strict with their rules.

But the way to make more nice men is not to kick out your male children and leave them to the Z's. That would only lead to 1. dead kids or 2. young boys picked up by these teams of bad men who would then make them bad in turn through either abuse or giving them no other example to follow. If any of those kids made it to adulthood, I could seem one of them coming back with their own gang to wreak vengeance. It just happened a lot sooner than expected with this one kid catching on that he'd been thrown out to die because of a Y chromosome. The system seems self-defeating, in the end.

Edited by Zanne
  • Love 3

The system seems self-defeating, in the end.

Yeah they shouldn't have been surprised that one of their exiles came back for a little payback.  I liked the general idea of the all-female compount, but the exiling of the 13 yr old boys didn't seem like the best thought out plan. 

Well, burning down a functioning, usable compound out of revenge was, in fact, dumb!  But I have two sons, and I'd take out Kelly McGillis before I'd let them be thrown out to die.

jeje.

I just meant he seemed dumb so him figuring it all out, going back, sneaking in, and setting the place on fire seems like such a stretch. They should have just said the zombie bear broke free and ate them, which I kept expecting would happen. Talk about a dumb idea that one, keeping that thing in there.

But the way to make more nice men is not to kick out your male children and leave them to the Z's. That would only lead to 1. dead kids or 2. young boys picked up by these teams of bad men who would then make them bad in turn through either abuse or giving them no other example to follow. If any of those kids made it to adulthood, I could seem one of them coming back with their own gang to wreak vengeance. It just happened a lot sooner than expected with this one kid catching on that he'd been thrown out to die because of a Y chromosome. The system seems self-defeating, in the end.

This is true, yes. I think they were portraying them sort of like amazons, who IIRC supposedly abandoned male children or sent them back to their fathers (or killed them). Only here they waited till puberty, which I guess could be seen as giving them a chance (cause they were a bit bigger) or as a complete cruelty (cause they were still too young).

• Love 1