Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: The Barefoot Baroness

A quirky holiday party is hosted by Caroline Fleming, entrenching her in the London social scene. Meanwhile, Annabelle helps Julie build her confidence, and Caroline Stanbury faces difficulties while running her business. Also: Juliet and Marissa decide the fate of their friendship.

I didn't realize that this show was back -- I'll have to watch the first episode soon.

WTF is Marissa's problem?  Annabelle calling her a middle class reacher was funny.

I thought Juliet's husband Gregor was British?  No?

• Love 3

Yeeesh Marissa is smug. Juliet is exhausting, but Marissa is just so...smug! I wanted to throw her stupid fresh mint tea in her face during that teatime chat they had.

(No offense to fresh mint tea!)

I thought Juliet's husband Gregor was British?  No?

I think he's French Canadian?

• Applause 1
  • Love 6

Juliet - you were upset that you weren't invited to the singalong?  You didn't attend your birthday party.  So why should Marissa invite you again?

I'm kinda liking Caroline F.  I find people who just don't care and do their own thing rather fun...add royalty to that and I'm interested.  And wow, Juliet forced herself to taste the goose. 

It was a fun episode for me.

• Love 11

I thought that the dinner party was cute - but "entrenched her in the London social scene"?  If I were capable of raising one eyebrow, I would do it here.

And Juliet - you may not know how to "behave around a baroness" - but have you ever been a guest in someone's home?  The bad manners of these women who think they are so above us are what get on my nerves the most about Bravo shows.  :(

• Love 6

What a total B!t(h Marissa is! Juliette can spend her birthday wherever she wants to.  I used to go along with plans because I didn't want to upset the apple cart. At some point I realized that sometimes there are situations where somebody wont get their way and be upset, it does not have to always be me. When she excluded  Juliette she excluded her kids too, and their dad has been gone so much. Those kinds of things have a way of coming back to you.  also don't think I could sit across from someone who I had been good friends with and be so cold while they apologized to me.  

• Love 10

I wouldn't eat duck or venison either...my husband the cute engineer from here in Michigan hunts and there is no venison or well what I consider to be "weird food" (since It is my kitchen and I am the only cook etc) allowed in my kitchen....yuck.

I cannot deal with Caroline...I liked her first season....I like Marissa but I find Juliet to be a social climber.

• Love 2

Did Caroline the Baroness boil romaine lettuce for her dachshunds?

Don't understand the appeal of Annabelle. Not as a muse, not as a friend. Her eyes are so far apart. And she looked so put upon.

Is a size 6 or 8 in England much smaller than a 6 or 8 in the U.S.?

C the B looks older in her modeling photos than she does now.

Caroline speaking about herself: "In Denmark they say Caroline Fleming just has a sense for the finest things in life." Really?

Everybody's hair is so greenish yellow.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 5

What a total B!t(h Marissa is! Juliette can spend her birthday wherever she wants to.  I used to go along with plans because I didn't want to upset the apple cart. At some point I realized that sometimes there are situations where somebody wont get their way and be upset, it does not have to always be me. When she excluded  Juliette she excluded her kids too, and their dad has been gone so much. Those kinds of things have a way of coming back to you.  also don't think I could sit across from someone who I had been good friends with and be so cold while they apologized to me.

Yes I felt the chills through my tv. Yikes. Then throw in that comment about being just friends and not BFF's anymore. Even though Juliet kind of set herself up for that, it came off as mean.

• Love 9

It was this episode that reminded me of why I watched this show. I watch because I hate everyone. I hate Juliet because she's an ill-mannered 10 year old. I hate Marissa because she's a smug smuggerton who is as much a social climber as Juliet, but just a little bit more subtle. Caroline is condescending and a gleeful shit stirrer. Annabelle is a superior never was who cannot help but trumpet her tenuous relationships to people of actual note with talent.

I like Julie so far, but she has a terrible fashion sense and her hair color is tragic. I also love CarFlem. She seems a lot more grounded than the other women.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 8

Juliet carries on her tradition of unfortunate clothing choices with that hideous glittery sweater. Marissa called it merry. Dig!

WTF with Caroline's business? One minute she boasts about her outstanding success, the next she's worried about losing $200K overnight.

Oh, this explains a lot . . .  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2962380/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Andrew-s-ex-hits-slopes-firm-hits-buffers.html

Another on-line luxury marketing ploy bites the dust.  They apparently were running on fumes.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2

Don't understand the appeal of Annabelle. Not as a muse, not as a friend. Her eyes are so far apart. And she looked so put upon.

Is a size 6 or 8 in England must smaller than a 6 or 8 in the U.S.?

A size 6 or 8 in England is equivalent to a U.S. size 2 or 4.

And for an all-too-fleeting moment, I got excited that my size 6 American ass was around the same size as the Baronesses'.

I too will never understand the appeal of Annabelle.

She's not all that hot or interesting-looking, she seems dreadfully morose, boring and judgemental, and she's not even got a sense of humor worth noting. Maybe she has a certain charm that the cameras somehow don't show((because supposedly she was once quite the party fixture/toast of the town in her younger fashion muse days with McQueen; maybe she's just a super fun drunk?!)), but I've yet to see one hint of what makes her so fascinating to everyone else in those London social circles.

• Love 12

Marissa might be smug but the fact that she managed to not laugh in Juliet' s face when she felt the need to storm off from their fresh mint tea without waiting for the check but insisting twice that she would be paying makes her a more polite person than me.

• Love 10

I too will never understand the appeal of Annabelle.

She's not all that hot or interesting-looking, she seems dreadfully morose, boring and judgemental, and she's not even got a sense of humor worth noting. Maybe she has a certain charm that the cameras somehow don't show((because supposedly she was once quite the party fixture/toast of the town in her younger fashion muse days with McQueen; maybe she's just a super fun drunk?!)), but I've yet to see one hint of what makes her so fascinating to everyone else in those London social circles.

You know, one of the biggest probs with this show (for me) is there's nobody here to like.  There really isn't.  They're all beasts -- maybe to varying degrees, but still beasts nevertheless.  And Annabelle is the worst of the bunch.  There is nothing appealing about this woman.  WTF did McQueen see in her that we're not?  All I see is dour, sour, snippy & nasty.  Could this blech personality of hers possibly be seen as interesting & charming in Britain & it's not translating here?  Nah, not buying it.  She's charmless & nasty as fuck.

Look, I'm in total agreement with comments above about Marissa's excruciatingly annoying smugness.  So I should have enjoyed Annabelle's snippy put-down of Marissa, by saying she's merely middle class & a wannabe.  But I didn't.  Actually, I hated it.  Er, did anyone catch that sour puss on Annabelle when she said middle-class, with a just-smelled-poop sneer.  Felt to me like she insulted everyone everywhere who dares to be middle class.  Ugh, it was awful.  She really seems like an absolutely horrible woman to me.

Watching Danish Caroline chomping down on that bird bone was making me wanna vomit.  And did someone say she was serving Cheetos at her party?  Ugh, I haven't eaten those since I was 5.  The food at that party did not look good.

I've never seen Gregor before.  What the what?  He seems like a nice-looking nice guy.  Er, so WTF is he doing with a total fucking PITA like Juliet?  Yeah, I heard Juliet say she likes Danish Caroline cuz she's kinda ridiculous -- like Juliet herself.  OK, so she knows she's ridiculous, but that doesn't make it any better or change the fact that she's such a PITA.  I did kinda like duck-face Caroline noticing Juliet was only being nice to the other Caroline just cuz she's titled.  No shit, Duck-face.

Anyone notice the dartboard, with Duck-face's mug on it, in her office?  And that there were zillions of darts all over it?  Alrighty then.  And what about how freakin' cold & heartless she was when asking who should be fired?  Ugh, she's also such a horrible woman.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 6
You know, one of the biggest probs with this show (for me) is there's nobody here to like.  There really isn't.  They're all beasts -- maybe to varying degrees, but still beasts nevertheless.

This is precisely why I love this show. They are all terrible, so much to snark on. Anabelle is a sullen mess, Marissa has become way to big for her britches, Juliet is exhausting. Caroline has decided to embrace her inner bitch, it's hilarious that her business has bit the dust. I haven't decided about the 2 new ones. I did think it was weird that new Caroline would choose to live in London when her family and her children's father live in another country. It must make visitation complicated. Julie seems like a nervous wreck. 

• Love 6

All if these women are repugnant, but it's that what they want conflict for television. There are too many blondes to keep up with. The newly married into royalty that was excited about wearing an Alexander McQueen dress. Once the stylist finished with her hair I was like really that's the best you can do?! Girlfriends hair was tragic!

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 7

First of all, this is my favorite Ho'wives show. I think the mix of foreign setting, and tension between not only cultures but also classes makes for a good show. 

Julie is the nicest. She seems super down to earth and non-Bravo-y. Almost where I'm like "What are you doing on the show?!" But running Mapperton isn't cheap, so...

I probably like Caroline the best. Would hate to work for her or interact with her in any way IRL but as a character on my teevee, she makes for a fun villain.

As others have said, Annabelle is just sour. I don't see the appeal but I will say I think that personality plays better in England than here. 

Juliet is a drag. High maintenance, uncultured, doesn't know how to read the room. Annoying but also harmless.

Caroline F. Kind of charmed by her. Haven't seen enough. 

Aaaannnddd...Marissa. She is my least favorite. Ugh. The smug just like reaches through the screen. She's got this permanent kind of mean-girl smile. But since her thing is that she's so "nice" no one can call her on any mean girl behavior. 

Looking forward to a good season!! 

• Love 7

God Juliet is a pain in the ass, but Marissa lost me. Juliet did not handle the Thanksgiving well, but it was not a birthday party for Juliet.....that was an afterthought by Marissa. Marissa does feel that Juliet is indebted to her and while Juliet is an ass, Marissa came off as a much bigger jerk. Also, any time I can see Juliet's cute little girl is a bonus & she should have been at that sing along.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

These women are pretty much insufferable, but I will continue to watch for the scenes of London and their houses. And many of the outfits (Juliet's merry sweater excepted). I can get sort of riled up about other housewives shows and choose sides, but this show just washes over me till the next scene of something pretty and English. London at Christmas is the best. So glad they filmed then.

Edited by Valentine
  • Love 6

Caroline seems completely detached from her business. She runs in, snaps out "what's going on," barely listens to her harassed staff's replies, then moves on without interacting in any way. Guess we know how that worked out.

Juliet is very needy and I think she's distressed at how she's coming off on the show. She seemed genuinely unhappy at dinner with her husband and with Marissa. Her plan to appear as the wacky-but-lovable American girl isn't working, and perhaps there's marriage or money troubles as well.

I thought Caroline F. appeared frantic and slightly unhinged. Is she trying to become a lifestyle celebrity? Because she has a title, wealth and a family in Denmark - why is she on this show?

I cannot stand Marissa. She defines "smug." Not to mention "mean."

The only time we've seen Annabelle show any interest was when she was at Mapperton. She summoned a little pep in her step for the titled viscount.

The Royal Albert Hall sing-along looked gorgeous.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 10

Juliet is very needy and I think she's distressed at how she's coming off on the show. She seemed genuinely unhappy at dinner with her husband and with Marissa. Her plan to appear as the wacky-but-lovable American girl isn't working, and perhaps there's marriage or money troubles as well.

I actually thought she seemed better around her husband - calmer, less frantic and crazy, more thoughtful about the words coming out her mouth. She did seem unhappy about the whole Marissa drama/her "social life" in general, but her hubby seemed to ground her a bit. And she seemed sad that he's not around much, but I don't think she didn't seem sad at him, if that makes sense. They seem like an odd match, but she appears (to me) to be far more sufferable when he's around, so that's a good thing!

I agree she looked miserable when she was with Marissa though. Who wouldn't with her smirking at you, judging your every move, and then haughtily confirming you two are only "Fs" not "BFFs." 

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 6

WTF with Caroline's business? One minute she boasts about her outstanding success, the next she's worried about losing $200K overnight.

Oh, this explains a lot . . .  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2962380/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Andrew-s-ex-hits-slopes-firm-hits-buffers.html

Another on-line luxury marketing ploy bites the dust.  They apparently were running on fumes.

The margins for this business would be so slim. Caroline would have to hope that she's curated perfectly, hopefully get the items at wholesale, have a warehouse full of items, and negotiated reduced shipping costs. If any of those factors is the least bit off, you'd go from barely being in the black to absolutely in the red. There is nothing about Caroline, her office, or her business that looks like she's that cognizant of all of the factors that could sink her business. Plus she spent foolishly on her glam office. Her office should look like half a telemarketers and half of a Costco. Caroline is just so spoiled and lazy.

• Love 8

The margins for this business would be so slim. Caroline would have to hope that she's curated perfectly, hopefully get the items at wholesale, have a warehouse full of items, and negotiated reduced shipping costs. If any of those factors is the least bit off, you'd go from barely being in the black to absolutely in the red. There is nothing about Caroline, her office, or her business that looks like she's that cognizant of all of the factors that could sink her business. Plus she spent foolishly on her glam office. Her office should look like half a telemarketers and half of a Costco. Caroline is just so spoiled and lazy.

Yes, and before I read that the business had crashed and burned, I was raising my eyebrows at the lavish offices . Um,  most internet businesses operate out of warehouses somewhere similarly dank, which is the point of internet and mail order businesses, you don't need an expensive brick and mortar office. Her overhead must have been outrageous. Then one of her assistants reported that several customers specifically asked for next day delivery and they didn't make the deadline, yet Caroline seemed unconcerned.  

Someone mentioned clothing sizes upthread: 

I was in London last week and did some shopping near Oxford Circus and I can attest to the miniscule sizes of the clothing. My daughter is 4'11' and weight\s about 100 pounds. She normally wears petite clothing. So we hit the petite departments at Topshop, H&M, Miss Selfridge, etc and I have to say,the clothes were tiny, practically doll sized. My tiny daughter was way too big to fit into them. Which was weird because the people shopping in the stores looked normal sized. I wonder who was buying those tiny clothes. Just one of my headscratching observations while in London. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 3

Okay I admittedly didnt watch last season but Marissa' s thanksgiving meal which cut to a large table of at least friends contrasted to to the tight shot of Juliet's dinner at Caroline' s with just Juliet, Caroline and her sister in law, cracked me up. Yes, Juliet it's such a special day you need to have it in a house but not so special you need to have your husband or children with you! Just three other women but it's in a brightly lit kitchen and not a cozy lit room with food, drink and people.

• Love 10

All if these women are repugnant, but it's that what they want conflict for television. There are too many blondes to keep up with. The newly married into royalty that was excited about wearing an Alexander McQueen dress. Once the stylist finished with her hair I was like really that's the best you can do?! Girlfriends hair was tragic!

Yeah, I said in another thread Juliet always looks like an unmade bed, but Julie usually looks even worse than Juliet.  Idk, I kinda sympathize with Julie cuz they did show how she's busy chasing after all those kids.  Still, oh my goodness, she looked like such a mess after she put on that poorly-fitting, saggy McQueen thing -- which (even with the bright red color) she looked so frumpish in.  And why-oh-why does her hair always look so draggy & yech?  Poor thing just looks awful.  She's not an unattractive gal.  Maybe it's chasing after those kids that's making her look so darn worn out.

Something was really off about Juliet's Thanksgiving - as if she had a "real" Thanksgiving with her family off-camera and the one we saw was completely fake and scripted.

So much about this ep felt weird to me.  That was one thing.  What about the Thanksgiving party Marissa still threw for Juliet -- the one Juliet wasn't even there for?  I mean, was that totally weird & loony or what?  Er, why in the fuckety fuck would Marissa do such a thing?  Hmmm, could it be because Marissa is passive aggressive & mean as fucking hell?  Sure, Juliet absolutely did do a shitty thing to Marissa by bailing out on her.  But did Marissa have to do something even shitter in retaliation, by publicly embarrassing Juliet to all of their friends?  Ugh, Marissa, just ugh.

OK then, so Marissa is yet another one on here who is an absolutely horrible woman.

This is precisely why I love this show. They are all terrible, so much to snark on. Anabelle is a sullen mess, Marissa has become way to big for her britches, Juliet is exhausting. Caroline has decided to embrace her inner bitch, it's hilarious that her business has bit the dust. I haven't decided about the 2 new ones. I did think it was weird that new Caroline would choose to live in London when her family and her children's father live in another country. It must make visitation complicated. Julie seems like a nervous wreck. 

I'm not sure why I keep watching cuz I think ALL of these women are awful -- for various reasons.  I really wanted to see more of Danish Caroline's home.  Why all the extreme close-ups?  I couldn't get a feel of her place at all.  Is it tiny or is it large & impressive?  I couldn't tell.  I was so turned off & nauseated by the Cheetos & her bird-bone-chomping, that one is gonna have to work hard to win me back.  Right now, I'm not digging her.  Btw, her weird laugh didn't bother me as much as it seemed to bother Duckface Caroline.  Actually, it didn't bother me at all.  Or was that just Duckface being her usual mean, horrible self & picking on anyone/everyone near her?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

She's making it sound like it's new in her talking heads, but it's not new - they've been married since 2004. So I didn't get why she was acting like the whole married-to-an-aristocrat was all so brand new and exciting. I mean, it'd of course still be exciting on a "Wow I never imagined being here!" level, but it's not like all these lifestyle changes are news to her in 2015. I generally like Julie and I like that she seems relatively down to earth, but I wish she'd cool it on the constant "I'm so normal for a LADY...Have you heard yet that I'm just a midwestern girl who's a LADY now?!" in her talking heads. Yeah, we've heard. 

• Love 3

I don't like Danish Caroline either. Something seems very off about her. At her party it seemed like she thought she could get away with bad behavior because she is "royalty". Juliet is rude about food served, but Danish Car is much ruder to serve food really late and then tell everyone they have to leave even though they aren't done eating.

I like to watch the other Caroline. She's awful and I'd never want to meet her IRL, but she can't help herself from needling others. I don't think it comes from a place of viciousness like many other Howives. She seems like the kind of idiot who if you say "don't touch X" will touch X every single time you turn your back. No self control with her.

Regarding team Marissa or Juliet, I'm totally team Marissa. I can tolerate Marissa, but Juliet is insufferable. She's one of those girls who is shitty to everyone else and then complains to their mom "nobody likes me, everyone is so mean". Well, stop being a shit, Juliet.

• Love 9

Marissa and Juliet are equally social climbers.

I liked that Julie mentioned how much easier it is for Marissa to integrate into London society because she's married to an Englishman. Juliet doesn't have that benefit. Not that I'm defending Juliet, whose behavior would be considered annoying and obnoxious to most Americans (I'd think). Marissa's smug attitude wouldn't fly well in the States either (I'd think).

Also, I found it interesting that Julie mentioned she hardly gets invited to events, so maybe that's why she made the remark about Juliet feeling like an outsider.

At any rate, I'm thinking Juliet's not long for England. I don't think she'll stay there long-term.

In the other thread, I mentioned that Julie grew up in a town not too far from me. I loved how she mentioned growing up in Sugar Grove, IL, instead of saying what most exurbanites and suburbanites, which is "I'm from Chicago." Even if those people live an hour or two away. It's a pet peeve of mine. I lived in Chicago for a decade and always told people where I was really from. So Julie gets major points from me for being honest. If I recall correctly, last season, Juliet said she was from Chicago. However, I believe she's actually from Chicago's north suburbs, which isn't the same thing.

But I digress . . . ;-)

I like Caroline Fleming too. I hardly laugh at this show, but I love how Caroline F seems to give zero fucks what others think. And she's a baroness! She behaves very non-aristocratic and for whatever reason, I find that endearing.

I loved how she kicked everyone out as they were still eating dinner because it was a Monday night and she needed to get to bed. She threw major shade at Caroline Stanbury in that moment. "We can't all wake up at 9:30 in the morning." Hee!

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 5

What about the Thanksgiving party Marissa still threw for Juliet -- the one Juliet wasn't even there for? I mean, was that totally weird & loony or what? Er, why in the fuckety fuck would Marissa do such a thing? Hmmm, could it be because Marissa is passive aggressive & mean as fucking hell?

That was Marissa' s annual Thanksgiving party that she has apparently thrown for several years it was one of Juliets objection in addition to not being in a home was that Marissa had so many of her friends coming because in Juliets mind it wasn't just Thanksgiving it was her birthday.

• Love 6

I'm so lost.  Juliet is a total PITA, but I didn't think she had asked Marissa to throw her a party.  To me it seemed like Marissa was hosting a Thanksgiving party like she always does, Juliet was feeling lonely so Marissa included her and maybe tried to make it seem like they were co-hosting (this was probably also for the show, not just to be nice), but it was Marissa's way or the highway on everything, so I don't know that Juliet was considered a co-host.  Juliet wasn't happy and mentioned it was her birthday as a way to try and make it seem like she had more claim on the day being special to her to try to get her way on setting and in response Marissa shoe-horned in some birthday crap like a turkey cake not made out of turkey.  Juliet then decided to do something else because she was not into Marissa's fake Martha Stewart party tyrant bullshit.  I don't think Juliet is a saint, but I also don't think she was going around asking multiple people to throw her a birthday party.  

Speaking of fake Martha Stewarts, I can't decide if I like Caroline Fleming or if I think she's trying to damn hard to be quirky.  For some reason she just didn't seem genuine to me. 

I can't stand Annabelle, but I did like her calling Marissa a striver, even though I didn't enjoy the down her nose way she did it.  Also, I can't remember, is she an aristocrat or just a socialite?  Because Julie calling Annabelle the Idiot's Guide to be an Aristocrat confused me because I didn't think she was titled or anything.

• Love 5

That was Marissa' s annual Thanksgiving party that she has apparently thrown for several years it was one of Juliets objection in addition to not being in a home was that Marissa had so many of her friends coming because in Juliets mind it wasn't just Thanksgiving it was her birthday.

OK, this was kinda confusing to me.  So Marissa was gonna have a Thanksgiving party anyway -- whether for Juliet or not?  Marissa made it sound like she was going really out of her way to make a party for Juliet.  So that wasn't the case at all?  Color me confused.  In any case, it was shitty & thoughtless of Juliet to blow Marissa off the way she did.  BUT Juliet has a point about Marissa -- that she's extremely bossy & she will take over your life, if you don't tell her to back off.  I mean, sheesh, I would hate that in a friend.  Marissa is on overload & she doesn't know when to back off.  Still think Juliet acted worse here.  Much worse.  But Marissa sure as fuck ain't no bargain.

Btw, I was puzzled at the end of this ep & at the way they sorta ended their friendship.  Something about this convo felt off & weird.  The stuff Marissa babbled on about supporting Juliet 100% came out of nowhere.  I didn't hear Juliet accusing of her of that.  Again, color me confused on this too.

I'm not sure yet if Danish Caroline is this show's Sonja Morgan -- well, at least in terms of ditziness.  Wait, did I hear Duckface mention Danish Caroline has a young bf?  Ooh, bring on the 18 year old British rentboys!

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

To me, Julie looks like one of those women who doesn't get enough healthy fats in her diet and overexercises.  She has a gaunt, haggard look to her.  I have no idea how old she might be.

Omg, yes!! After they took out the roller from her hair it didn't look any different. Jut lifeless, flat and thin. Her face is so gaunt and haggard like she is missing key nutrients and so painfully thin.

All the girls on this show seem way thinner than the real housewives here yet I see them eating all the time.

• Love 3

Team Marissa all the way.  Marissa throws the same Thanksgiving party every year for her friends.  She makes the food at home and then brings it to the private dining room at their restaurant because the space is big enough.  Didn't she say she had 30 people coming?  Juliet was at first put out because it was her birthday, Marissa had planned to have a cake with a little turkey on top to celebrate as a surprise.  Juliet insisted that Marissa have the party at her home AFTER Marissa had invited her friends.  Juliet then wanted Marissa to disinvite people so that the party could be thrown at Marissa's house and she refused.  She also let Juliet know she was planning to celebrate her birthday as well, but that wasn't good enough.  Juliet cried to Caroline (who doesn't even celebrate Thanksgiving) that she wanted it to be at her home and Caroline obliged because she liked Marissa and Juliet arguing about a holiday she doesn't care about.

Juliet just doesn't get it.  I get that she's now unemployed and her husband has left his well paying job to do a start up company and is gone a lot, but get a grip.  I do wonder if she was hanging around Caroline at first hoping for a job or a connection to a job.  Juliet seems to really be trying to social climb, but I can't imagine they'll actually stay in the UK or Europe if his company doesn't go anywhere.  It's pretty clear on the show that she's miserable.  I wonder if she realizes that she's playing the role of the stereotypical "loud" American?  Both Julie and Marissa have more demure personalities that would fit in in Britain.

I thought the sing along looked like a lot of fun.  The run up to Christmas in London is so much fun, I went for a week in December last year and didn't want to go home I felt so Christmassy.

Anabelle's comment about Marissa's social climbing is just dumb.  Why does Annabelle consider herself better than everyone else?  She has no title, perhaps she doesn't have to work, but birth doesn't mean you have class.  If middle class is defined by Kate Middleton's parents who are millionaires, I'd be ok with that.

Julie seems incredibly down to earth.  Yes, she has a title, but it looks like their existence has been quite normal.  She doesn't have a household staff, her husband has worked outside the estate for years, taking it on now because his parents are aging.  Truthfully, inheritance taxes can completely tear apart an estate so it's no wonder that they live relatively frugally.  Many of the country houses I've been in in the winter have very little heat turned on to save on heating bills.

I don't know what to think about Danish Caroline.  I liked that she cooked the dinner, although did we see her really do that or just take it out of the oven?  Why did she have shelves over her dining room table?  I do give props to Juliet for eating the goose, especially when everyone pointed out really loudly that she probably wouldn't.  It felt like she was the joke at dinner and that was sad.  Danish Caroline, didn't seem to care though.  I'm assuming that the party ran late, if she didn't get the goose in until after 4pm, how late was it when they finally sat down to dinner?  I think filming can go well past midnight sometimes so I don't blame her if it was 10pm and asking them to wrap it up.

• Love 14

"Yes!" to your entire post, scenicbyway!!!!

I like Julie. I wish someone would help her dress, though. That red dress did not flatter her. She is very thin and it showed her ribs.

Marissa's hair is not good in her THs -- very flat. I have fine hair like that and I just want to say "do something for volume, girl!" ;)

Didn't really know what to make of the Juliet and Marissa "are we friends" conversation. It was very uncomfortable and awkward.

The new Caroline??? Truly wacky or just for show??

• Love 1

Team Marissa all the way.  Marissa throws the same Thanksgiving party every year for her friends.  She makes the food at home and then brings it to the private dining room at their restaurant because the space is big enough.  Didn't she say she had 30 people coming?  Juliet was at first put out because it was her birthday, Marissa had planned to have a cake with a little turkey on top to celebrate as a surprise.  Juliet insisted that Marissa have the party at her home AFTER Marissa had invited her friends.  Juliet then wanted Marissa to disinvite people so that the party could be thrown at Marissa's house and she refused.  She also let Juliet know she was planning to celebrate her birthday as well, but that wasn't good enough.  Juliet cried to Caroline (who doesn't even celebrate Thanksgiving) that she wanted it to be at her home and Caroline obliged because she liked Marissa and Juliet arguing about a holiday she doesn't care about.

I can agree with all of this, but Marissa lost me when she kept going on about Juliet asking her to throw her a birthday party.  What we were shown didn't seem like Juliet asked her to throw a birthday party, Marissa just took it upon herself like the martyr she is.  It was, however, super rude and presumptuous of Juliet to ask her to change venues and uninvite people.  Maybe that's what Marissa was talking about.

• Love 1

Juliet seems to really be trying to social climb, but I can't imagine they'll actually stay in the UK or Europe if his company doesn't go anywhere.  It's pretty clear on the show that she's miserable. 

Julie seems incredibly down to earth.  Yes, she has a title, but it looks like their existence has been quite normal.  She doesn't have a household staff, her husband has worked outside the estate for years, taking it on now because his parents are aging.  Truthfully, inheritance taxes can completely tear apart an estate so it's no wonder that they live relatively frugally.  Many of the country houses I've been in in the winter have very little heat turned on to save on heating bills.

I do give props to Juliet for eating the goose, especially when everyone pointed out really loudly that she probably wouldn't.  It felt like she was the joke at dinner and that was sad.  Danish Caroline, didn't seem to care though.

I'm glad you mentioned that Juliet's making it obvious that she's miserable in London. Not that I can't understand why on some level. I don't think her and her family will be long-time London residents. I suspect they'll end up back in States sooner rather than later, but I'll eat my hat if they stick around.

I, too, thought Juliet was the joke at CF's dinner and that was somewhat uncomfortable to watch, even though she's pretty annoying.

I believe that Julie is the most down-to-earth of all the ladies on this show.

• Love 1

For some reason, Marissa has never bothered me.  Last season I loved how fresh and well put together she always looked, and I am enjoying that about her again this season.  Although, I will say that her outfit at the Christmas singalong was odd.  Pants with a giant bow at the front don't look good on anyone.  She doesn't even come across as smug to me, but maybe that's because I would probably get the same look on my face if I had to deal with Juliet.  Marissa is an American, Thanksgiving is important to her, too.  She has a yearly dinner that is beautifully done in her lovely restaurant because it accommodates a large group.  Juliet whined that it's also her birthday, so Marissa decided to do something special for her as an aside, to acknowledge Juliet's day.  Juliet asks a non-American to please have a Thanksgiving dinner in her home, even though Caroline said she doesn't know what Thanksgiving even is.  Marissa finds out, and gets mad.  I don't blame her one bit, and when she said Juliet "shopped around" for the best Thanksgiving, I think she was spot on.  Juliet is an entitled whiny baby, and I couldn't stand her last year, but this year she is already insufferable.

I don't understand why anyone would want to work hard to become a part of London's society.  Considering how snobby they are, and how they never stop commenting on the obnoxious, ill-mannered, try-hard Americans, what is the benefit to striving to be part of their group?  Caroline and Annabelle very clearly will never consider Americans to be as good as they are, or even just plain good enough, even if they are sometimes amused by them.  It doesn't make sense to me why it's anyone's goal to claw their way in to a group of people who will always make fun of you and consider you less than.  Surely locals who are not aristocrats are just as much, if not more fun to hang out with.

The new Caroline (I can't remember their last names, so for me she is Caroline 2) is very entertaining to me, so far.  Her honking laugh makes me giggle every time.  The food she served looked absolutely delicious and like a meal I would love to try, and I wouldn't have minded the 10 minute warning during dessert to get the hell out.  I almost wish more hosts would do that.  The bowl full of Cheetos to make the Americans feel more at home was kind of funny, but was it also meant to be a little insulting?  I honestly couldn't tell.

I adored seeing the women gathered at the party in all their gorgeous red finery.  What a breathtaking sight!  I didn't think I'd like the dress Caroline 1 chose when it was on the hanger, but on her it was stunning.  Julie has kind of a sporty build that didn't completely suit the designer gown she wore, but I thought it was lovely, and kind of Annabelle to loan it.  Her hair WAS dreadful, but even as bad as it looked, it's still a big improvement over her hair last year.  She can't help being cursed with such thin locks, but the harsh bleaching can't help, and it looks so extreme with her pale skin and light eyes.  A softer shade of blonde would probably do wonders for her.

I always got the feeling Caroline 1's business was just a vanity project for her.  It's like women I know who are married to surgeons and lawyers, and they open up a cute little boutique so they can say they are business owners, but really it's an excuse to buy pretty things, socialize and become known and a visible part of the community while barely breaking even.  They don't do it to make money, if they turn profit that's great, but not really the ultimate goal.  Obviously, no one wants their business to fail, but these women, and Caroline 1, aren't relying on their stores to sustain their families, so it's a whole different ball of wax than it is for the rest of us.  I feel terrible for the employees who worked their asses off for her last Christmas only to end up unemployed.  Losing that income probably affected them greatly.

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 8

Ugh I think Marissa is a horrible human being. Juliet isn't that bad, I have been around worse people, mean nasty witches like Marissa.

And it's one thing for Marissa to shun Juliet, but her children too? Screw you, you awful witch.

Marissa is nothing but a fair weather friend, I like you as long as you serve me. What an awful human being.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I think Juliet is horrible, and I wouldn't want to spend a minute in her miserable company.  I was very disappointed when I saw she would be back this year. So far,  I haven't seen Marissa do anything that qualifies in my eyes as being a mean, nasty witch.  These women are all stuck up on some level, but Marissa at least likes to do things for people, and Juliet likes to have things done for her.  I much prefer people who work hard to create situations for other people to enjoy, no matter what their motivations for doing so may be.  And I think it was incredibly upfront and honest of her to tell Juliet that their friendship just wasn't doing it for her anymore.  Friendships are supposed to be a two-way street, and if one person feels the relationship has become imbalanced in a way that makes it not worth maintaining, then to just say so straight out is probably the most fair way to address it.  Juliet definitely seems exhausting and needy, and after a while I think it's normal to start to wonder if pandering to her needs is really worth the time, effort and patience it takes.  Time is valuable, and shouldn't be spent with people who drain us, especially if our only tie to those people is a tenuous friendship. 

If Juliet has nowhere else to take her children to enjoy a Christmas event besides the box Marissa booked at Albert Hall, then she really needs to cast a wider net for friends.  It's not Marissa's job to entertain Juliet's children. 

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 15

Not inviting Juliet and get children to the sing along was nasty and tasteless IMO.

I was brought up that you don't invite all but one person, as my mother once told me, it's only one party and it wouldn't kill you to invite her.

And if Marissa thinks Juliet is draining then she better take her iron because I don't think she's that bad. Marissa's little smirk at the end, and her rudely on her phone when Juliet wax talking to her, what a nasty person. Time is precious and I wouldn't want to spend it being mean.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

I can't stand Annabelle, but I did like her calling Marissa a striver, even though I didn't enjoy the down her nose way she did it. Also, I can't remember, is she an aristocrat or just a socialite? Because Julie calling Annabelle the Idiot's Guide to be an Aristocrat confused me because I didn't think she was titled or anything.

Last season, I vaguely remember Annabelle mentioning that her grandmother is a marchioness or some such title.

Of course, I might be imagining that.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2