Type keyword(s) to search

Live Free Or Die - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Finally have time to watch the finale and have to say I really wish production would step back. I hope next season isn't worse than this as far as them overstepping goes.

Colbert has safety harnesses (we've watched him use them and he's adamant about safety), why didn't he use them in the scenes of putting on the rafters? Oh, gotta be production push so he can involve the neighbors. Annoying.

Tony and Amelia getting the pigs. They knew they didn't have room for them and never mentioned pigs before this season. Why now and why the large number they got? Oh, gotta be production push so we can see them start to contemplate buying more land. With what money? We aren't suppose to know they are talking to cameras and making money from the show. I mean they had to sell all their wares at the farmer's market to afford the pigs, how could they afford land by selling jars of dried mushrooms?!?! :P

Last year Tony and Amelia wanted to make babies (probably another production push) this year it's pigs.  Looks like next year will be a hunt for a larger plot of land. Unless a plot next door is available but going by the arial views it doesn't look like it.

ETA: Oh so we'll see them attempting to co-op and I can tell you now it wont work. Tony and Amelia have their own way of doing things although I am sure production would love to show us it not working with the co-op.

Edited by KarmaG
  • Love 2

I can't help being aware of the high production values and what that really means. The hunter tiptoeing through the woods, whispering.... with at least one camera man, maybe two, clomping along side, and the occasional drone shot from above! As a tree is felled, a camera is attached at the top of the tree to watch it fall from that perspective. *That* took time to set up. But enjoyable never-the-less.

On 11/2/2016 at 6:15 PM, dleighg said:

so just found this show. Why are so many of the guys running around barefoot? Is that really the way our ancestors did?

The guy in the bus is seriously cute. As is his girlfriend.

Shoes cost a lot of money which is something our Wilders don't have a lot of and yes, our ancestors really went shoeless. At one time shoes were for the rich. And for many, hunting is best done barefoot.

16 hours ago, KarmaG said:

Shoes cost a lot of money which is something our Wilders don't have a lot of and yes, our ancestors really went shoeless. At one time shoes were for the rich. And for many, hunting is best done barefoot.

Hmmm, I started looking into primitive footwear after watching all the trouble N&A folks had going barefoot, and still have a couple links bookmarked. True, footwear was a big investment for early peoples, and they were a lot more likely to be barefoot to protect their investment. Doesn't mean most of them didn't have shoes. In fact, from what I read, footwear is some of the earliest coverings prehistoric man came up with, as evidenced by cave paintings in Spain. IIRC, the earliest examples of shoes are bark sandals found preserved under a layer of volcanic ash in Oregon from an eruption 7500 years ago  http://pages.uoregon.edu/connolly/FRsandals.htm  No telling when native americans started wearing mocassins, but they were pretty universal in North American, but predate the arrival of Europeans. All kinds of different styles depending on the local needs of the wearers.  http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/moccasin/mocmap.html Problem there is that it takes some fluke of nature (like that volcano in Oregon) for any to have survived since most were leather. 

As far as the show, I can totally see native americans living in Georgia swamps being barefoot most of the time. Remember, lots of time and energy went into making those leather shoes, and leather isn't going to last long being repeatedly soaked and dried. Here's an early, mid 1700's, drawing   https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:De_batz_tchaktas.jpg#mw-jump-to-license of some Choctaw (I sort of focused since I'm part Choctaw) showing barefoot and minimal clothing.

Part of what I find interesting is that it doesn't really matter where primitive man was, they kept hitting on similar solutions to their needs. Cotton grew pretty much around the globe in warm climates, so it was "discovered" and used around the world. Bark was used in the Pacific NW and Southeastern US as well as Uganda in Africa.