Type keyword(s) to search

Live Free Or Die - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Was interesting to see Thorn's "hut" with windows now. I don't think his root cellar will be effective at keeping the bears out. If he can reach in there easily, the bear can still smell it and destroy the wood.

Loved Tony and Amelia's rocket heater. Would love having heated seats though sitting on brick would get uncomfortable fast.

Cant remember the new guy's name, but I think his story with the mules will be more interesting than the guy he replaced on the show. That dude was boring.

The craft that Thorn built was cool though I wonder how he's going to get it back to his plot of land after going so far down river? Oh and get that AND any meat he will get (in the future). Might be a part of this he hadn't though of yet. He's good at that but he's also good at adapting.

Intrigued by the syrup making. Amelia and Tony have grown on me in just two episodes this season. Wasn't all that interested in them last season.

• Love 1

I just discovered this show, and I am absolutely hooked. I'm just really glad that a guy like Colbert or Thorn can find a place in the world where he can pursue his own destiny in his own way. I was inclined to snark, but I am oddly moved by Colbert, especially. I love Amelia and Tony. I love how calmly they go about things. And I love that Amelia wears her pretty yellow gingham dress to go tap trees or build rabbit runs.

I just discovered this show, and I am absolutely hooked. I'm just really glad that a guy like Colbert or Thorn can find a place in the world where he can pursue his own destiny in his own way. I was inclined to snark, but I am oddly moved by Colbert, especially. I love Amelia and Tony. I love how calmly they go about things. And I love that Amelia wears her pretty yellow gingham dress to go tap trees or build rabbit runs.

Hopefully you can find last season and watch that too. Was a good one. Was heartbreaking to watch Colbert's reaction to his cabin burning down. He was gone that day with the camera crew filming and came back to it being gone.

I saw that one, KarmaG! What a heartbreaker, and his reaction blew me away. That's why I can't snark, at least on him. I snarked pretty smartly on the guy in the perfectly pressed camo shorts and groomed hair and beard who was setting traps, to be sure. He apparently isn't on this season. Hee hee.

• Love 1

I saw that one, KarmaG! What a heartbreaker, and his reaction blew me away. That's why I can't snark, at least on him. I snarked pretty smartly on the guy in the perfectly pressed camo shorts and groomed hair and beard who was setting traps, to be sure. He apparently isn't on this season. Hee hee.

I am so glad he isn't on this season. He was soooooooo boring. Cant wait to watch this week's episode. Probably tonight (or tomorrow).

Finishing up watching it now. My thoughts...

I don't believe for a second that Tobias traveled 80 miles in the time we saw him. 20? Probably. 40? Doubtful. 80?! No fricken way.

Love seeing Colbert's way old pics and "meeting" his old coworkers/friends. You know they probably think he had it all and just went bonkers/nuts, had a mental breakdown and went to live in the swamp. At least that's the impression I have/what I would think if someone I knew did what he did. That said, he's still my favorite on the show. 

I totally expected Amelia and Tony to cry when they shot the turkey. It just seems like something they would do. I'm glad they now have another food source. I do find it funny though that Amelia talks about her dad being a homesteader like them and then we see the trailer he lives in, with electricity connections. Oh and can Amelia PLEASE find something else to wear on filming days? The dress is pretty but c'mon, we know you have other clothes and we know your scenes weren't all filmed on the same day.

Derik is odd and not totally grown on me. I like watching the mules and hope Scout's injury isn't too bad.

Ok I paused the tv to type this and looked up and about threw up. It's paused on Tobias getting to his camp, putting on his jacket. Problem is his shirt is raised slightly up because his arms are above his head and his pants are falling down revealing the top of his pubic hair. GROSS.

Edited by KarmaG
  • Love 1

I loved the visit from Colbert's friend. I especially loved how accepting and non-judgmental his friend was. They just kicked back and enjoyed the day. It made me smile, for real. Colbert is a very interesting character. He should write a book. I'd be interested to know about his childhood, the reasons why he chose go into business, why he left it all behind, and what his first few years of living in the wilderness were like.

Tony and Amelia make me smile too. I find them adorable and Tony made me laugh with his Mighty Hunter routine. I loved how matter of fact they are. They just get in there and get it done.

Derik makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. I feel like there are serious anger issues lurking. His eyes get a little crazy sometimes.

• Love 2

I'm watching this week's episode and just got to where Thorn is meeting Umbra at the river. When he bends down to help pull in the boat the camera is in the wrong place. I saw his testicles!! 

Also I have realized after much thought that I don't like Tobias and it's for the same reason I didn't like the guy who had his spot on the show last season, Gabriel. They weren't really living this life. It was a temporary thing for them, mostly while filming. We saw Tobias, at the start of his journey, leaving his his house. Sure, he lived in a yurt but it was a house just the same. This is just a camping expedition for him. Just like last season we watched Gabriel live for a short time in a friend's cabin off the grid and then hike back to the house he shared with his girlfriend in the Malibu/LA area.

• Love 1

Yeah, I thought the exact same. Tobias and Gabriel were playing cave man. Spotless, well fitting clothes, neatly trimmed hair and beard, smooth, clean hands. and really, walking through all that cactus in shorts and sandals? My idea of roughing it is no room service, but even I wouldn't do that. And really, he can't eat the apples he packed, because they're bait for his traps? There was a tiny morsel of apple on the stick. How many traps was he setting exactly?? Eat an apple, dude. 

Tony cracked me UP when he shot the rooster. He's such a Mighty Hunter now he can't just wring the unfortunate bird's neck! Love the ducklings!

Colbert's the real thing. He's amazing. Though I wonder where he scavenged the materials for his bridge. Where'd he get all that cable?

• Love 1

Yeah, I thought the exact same. Tobias and Gabriel were playing cave man. Spotless, well fitting clothes, neatly trimmed hair and beard, smooth, clean hands. and really, walking through all that cactus in shorts and sandals? My idea of roughing it is no room service, but even I wouldn't do that. And really, he can't eat the apples he packed, because they're bait for his traps? There was a tiny morsel of apple on the stick. How many traps was he setting exactly?? Eat an apple, dude. 

Tony cracked me UP when he shot the rooster. He's such a Mighty Hunter now he can't just wring the unfortunate bird's neck! Love the ducklings!

Colbert's the real thing. He's amazing. Though I wonder where he scavenged the materials for his bridge. Where'd he get all that cable?

They showed Colbert in season one bartering and bargaining and explaining where he'd gotten his stuff. He mentioned a pickup truck on this episode, he has one and it sits at the end of the access road to the swamp area. He uses its mostly just to go get/send mail (the pelts he collects through trapping season to pay the taxes on his land) and then find scrap material others are getting rid of. The cable looked new but I bet it was scrap at some site and they either let him have it for free or for a minimal price. Less scrap at a site means less they have to pay to have it hauled away.

Season one also showed Amelia and Tony bartering and bargaining a lot more than this season. I thought the shooting the rooster before coming up with the worm idea was such bad timing. The rooster was simply doing what roosters do. At least he didn't go to waste.

ETA: I also have to say I like that we aren't seeing Thorn's daughter this season, like we did last. She's school-age but young. Her classmates would only give her a hard time for the way her dad lives if they saw her on camera with him. Though he is my 2nd favorite, after Colbert.

Edited by KarmaG
  • Love 1

I hasten to say I don't think Colbert's cable was either provided by production or stolen. I only saw a few episodes of the first season so I didn't see a lot of those scenes showing the nuts and bolts of how they actually get supplies, conduct business (I've seen Colbert trap and skin animals, and allude to selling pelts, so I knew he did that, but not how), and handle things like paying property taxes and so on.

I did see Thorn's daughter on one episode, and I'm wildly curious to find out the backstory there. Was Thorn married? Did he and his wife/partner have similar goals at one time?

I did see Thorn's daughter on one episode, and I'm wildly curious to find out the backstory there. Was Thorn married? Did he and his wife/partner have similar goals at one time?

I don't know if they were married but yes he once had a partner and they shared similar goals but that was before he became a "wildling". He was once a school teacher iirc. He mentioned first season what his former profession was and I'm pretty sure he said a teacher. I'd guess art, that's just the way he comes across.  He said last season (and this) that he gets his daughter quite frequently. She's the real reason he built the "cabin" we see this year. To give her more shelter, literally.

Really enjoyable episode this week. Loved seeing Tony and Amelia with the bees, and Colbert's new home taking shape. I got a real bang out of seeing him drive into town! Wonder what the local folks think. I hope he's treated affectionately as a local character!

I was exhausted just watching Thorn take down trees and clear his little garden patch. Guess I'm not cut out for homesteading.....

Watching this week's episode and left wondering...How are Tony and Amelia going to pay for licensing/annual property tax and insurance (have to have liability insurance in NC) on the truck with no income? Guess those bees better get to work making even more honey to pay the bills.

ETA: I imagine Amelia is the one with the license but the thought of goofy Tony  trying to learn to drive the big ol truck makes me chuckle.

Edited by KarmaG

I have a feeling production has her wear it, in case they want to splice some days/events together. No one will notice what Tony is wearing!

Loved Colbert fishing in his dugout, and Tony and Amelia bartering for a "betty hook". she cracks my shit up.

Thorn has a GF!! Holy moly.

I have a feeling production has her wear it, in case they want to splice some days/events together. No one will notice what Tony is wearing!

Still getting caught up, am an episode and a half behind, but you made a very good point. This way there's no obvious break in continuity.

Watching the finale now and have to say for a supposed expert and regular muler, Derik sure has issues. He comes across as an amateur. He couldn't bring them back from his friend's stable, he couldn't ride into town to get water, he couldn't get one to pull a log without freaking. 

Thorn and Delia were adorable together. He is really very handsome under the tattoos and birds nest hair, and she is very pretty. They can live together in his little hobbit house in the woods, enjoying life on their own terms. I'm really glad there are places for these folks to live the lives they want/need to live. 

It was great to see Colbert's cabin coming together and I really get a bang out of the satisfaction he gets from it. 

Everyone works hard, but there's no rush, no clock, everything gets done when its done. Since my life seems to be owned by the clock (9 to 5, and a prisoner to public transportation, so I have to be acutely aware of the time all the time!), I really appreciate that. I could never live in the woods, and have never in my life had the slightest desire to go off the grid, but its great to see it. Everyone is calm and takes his/her time. Even though they're felling trees or hauling water or boiling down syrup for hours, its oddly restful to me!  

• Love 2

I totally understand. I work retail, overnight, and the clock is my friend/enemy/boss. I have dreamed of living small, if not off the grid. Did off the grid not by choice as a kid and don't think I'd like to repeat that. 

I loved that Tony mentioned that when he bought the land 9 yrs ago (before getting with Amelia) that he didn't see or know that it'd turn into what it is today.

• Love 1

I just love them. I saw a little video of him answering a viewer question (on the FB page for the show). The viewer wanted to know what his education was and what profession he'd had before. He graduated from college with a degree in Environmental Studies, worked as a barista before going off the grid, and says he'd like to be a writer. I wish he would write a book about his and Amelia's homesteading adventures. I would read it, I eat stuff like that up. I wouldn't DO it, but I love to see how other people operate and make the choices they do.

I suppose its too much to hope for, for Colbert to write a book? He's really interesting to me, going off to the swamp to live on his own, leaving the rat race behind.

• Love 1

The show is back for its late summer season. We see Thorn has moved to Georgia. Wonder how hard that was now that he wont get to see Briar very often. Colbert is Colbert :). We also have a new guy. That's really as far as I've gotten into the first episode of the new season. Hope to finish it later.

• Love 1

I knew I'd find you here, @KarmaG! Thorn and his gf are really cute. Really nice to see him with some companionship, and she is adorable. Jury's still out on the new guy. Colbert continues to crack my shit up. He's one of a kind, isn't he? Tony and Amelia staying badass. I am so glad this show is back. I noticed another one that seems similar--The Boonies. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

• Love 1

This is actually the only show I really still watch besides things like GoT and TWD. I tried The Boonies when it first came out but it was just another overly produced show much to my dismay. 

• Love 2

Agreed. And the people weren't likable. Just kinda creepy/scary. When the treehouse dweller grabbed his gun and went to investigate "trespassers" I was kind of alarmed. Do they own the whole forest, then? 

I will stick with quirky but lovable Colbert, adorable Thorn and Delia, and Macgyver-ing homesteaders Tony and Amelia!

• Love 2
On August 12, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

On August 12, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Agreed. And the people weren't likable. Just kinda creepy/scary. When the treehouse dweller grabbed his gun and went to investigate "trespassers" I was kind of alarmed. Do they own the whole forest, then? 

I will stick with quirky but lovable Colbert, adorable Thorn and Delia, and Macgyver-ing homesteaders Tony and Amelia!

Exactly. And the hostility the dude had over someone else potentially moving in, and then scavenging from someone else's plot was just wrong. And came across as scripted. Especially when he acted like he didn't know people had been there, but then he did, but then he didn't. Like he forgot his lines. Sorry but when whoever was building that big structure, you'd hear it throughout the area and supposedly it was only 1/4 mile from dude's treehouse. No way he didn't know when it was built if he'd been there the entire time. Almost reminded me of that show with the three families that were going to live wild but they all had issues. Sad, all these shows meld together they are so unoriginal and fake.

I, too, will stick with our cast. I find it funny though they are still trying to find a 4th. Each season we've gotten a new 4th, they just don't stick. Keep our 3 and give up on the 4th if the current guy doesn't work out.

• Love 1

Just found/joined this forum. I knew I was not the only person who watched and liked this show! Nothing to add for now. But nice to know there are others that watch it too. We apparently feel the same way about the folks the show follows.  I live in GA and have this weird desire to go south and find Colbert or go north to find  Thorne, Amelia and Tony ...LOL! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MoPeaches said:

Just found/joined this forum. I knew I was not the only person who watched and liked this show! Nothing to add for now. But nice to know there are others that watch it too. We apparently feel the same way about the folks the show follows.  I live in GA and have this weird desire to go south and find Colbert or go north to find  Thorne, Amelia and Tony ...LOL! 

Welcome to the forum, Mo.

• Love 1

I rolled my eyes at Tony and Amelia driving several hours round-trip and spending an entire day reducing sea water to try and get 10 pounds of salt. Last time I checked you can buy 10 pounds of salt for $5 or $6 in most stores and it costs even less per pound if you buy larger sizes. Sea salt does not have any magical qualities for curing meat. Ordinary salt will do just fine. Morton's even makes a curing salt that has bit of nitrate added to it. The whole scene with the sea salt gathering seemed overly-produced. And, frankly, it wasn't very earth friendly. Doing all that driving when they could walk to the nearest store. And any hunter (or small farmer raising pork for curing) knows you have your salt and other supplies ready before you ever harvest an animal.

• Love 3

I agree, it was so clearly scripted. And the voice overs! "if Tony and Amelia can't make it back in time, their meat will spoil! If Tony and Amelia can't get their dehydrator built in time, the meat will spoil! If the dehydrator doesn't get hot enough, the meat will spoil!" I don't for one minute buy that Tony and Amelia weren't well prepared to salt/dry their venison ahead of time. Ditto Thorn and his smoker. "oh noes! we're out of jars! I will have to build a smoker from scratch, even though I've never done it before, plus I'm under the gun because did you know that if I don't act fast, the meat will spoil??" Sheesh, show. Give us a break. No need to try to amp up the drama. The thing I love about the show is how calm everyone is! They set out to do a task, no deadline, no clock.

Even Colbert setting the traps for the coyotes seemed like a producer driven story line. But I love it when he dons his jaunty red coat and sets off!

I don't like the new guy. I don't believe he lives in that hole in the ground. He looks way too well groomed, for one thing.

• Love 1

I'm finally watching the going to the ocean episode and like the rest of you, I have to call bs. In the time it took Tony and Amelia to drive to the coast the meat would have spoiled. They live approximately 7hours from the coast. The gas it took to drive to the coast in that old truck cost way more than a bag of salt from Walmart. I really hope production doesn't continue down this road of over involvement. It will drive me away.

@Pepper Mostly I'm not digging the new guy either. As I said above they just need to leave us with our lovable current 3 and stop trying to find a 4th or even a 5th as in a prior season. The 4th never works out.

Edited by KarmaG
  • Love 2

Oh and anyone else notice that the baking sheet Tony and Amelia were scooping the salt onto was brand new? Not a scratch on that teflon coating. And as earth and health conscious as Amelia is I don't think she uses teflon coated pans, at least not regularly.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, KarmaG said:

I

@Pepper Mostly I'm not digging the new guy either. As I said above they just need to leave us with our lovable current 3 and stop trying to find a 4th or even a 5th as in a prior season. The 4th never works out.

Hahahaha! The fourth guy is like Spinal Tap's drummer! "Spontaneous human combustion happens to hundreds of people every year" LOL

• Love 1

I confess I'm a little peeved by the blatant producer manipulation this season. It felt more organic before. Now its "Oh teh noes! Tony and Amelia's truck won't start! Looks like they will have to find some (brand new, un-rusted wire), and some (fresh, unused) lumber, and a old treadmill they just happen to have lying around, and build a windmill!" Sheesh. Colbert is the only one whose story still feels real. I'd be a lot more interested in finding out about Delia, what's her story, what does she do all day, how did she come to be living in her bus, how did she get by before Thorne came into her life, than watching Thorne set traps. Yawn. Matt bores me to tears. Straight from Central Casting and if he lives in the wilderness I'll eat my hat.

That said I'm still watching. I love Tony and Amelia, Colbert and Thorne!

• Love 1

I agree. Am trying to get another episode watched (home sick from work), the one where Tony and Amelia finally butcher the doe. The narrator just said Tony and Amelia took a 3 day trip to the beach for the salt. WTF. It's a 7 hour drive each way = 14 hours. And say an entire day to boil that damn water so that's day 2. Where's day 3? On that episode they made it seem like it all happened in one day. And again, where did they get the money for the gas to drive 14 hours? Production is completely ruining a great show. I'll give it through the episodes of this season that are on my dvr but if the over involvement continues I'll going to have to tap out.

• Love 1

Still watching the same episode and paused when Colbert was looking at the tax bill. I knew he had acres but didn't know it was almost 44 acres. That explains the distance he travels sometimes. I'd wondered if he was on public land or someone else's land before but now I know, it's mostly his that we see.

ETA: Looked like his tax bill was 106 and some change.

Edited by KarmaG
On September 15, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Matt bores me to tears. Straight from Central Casting and if he lives in the wilderness I'll eat my hat.

Someone above said he was from another outdoorsy show. He's just not my thing. So much so, that much like the last seasons with the ones I didn't like, I am now fast forwarding through his scenes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KarmaG said:

On that episode they made it seem like it all happened in one day. And again, where did they get the money for the gas to drive 14 hours? Production is completely ruining a great show. I'll give it through the episodes of this season that are on my dvr but if the over involvement continues I'll going to have to tap out.

I agree the editors are reaching trying to create drama. The whole salt trip was pointless to me, surely the time and effort could have been better spent if they truly are trying to be self sufficient. But then the whole deer meat story line was backwards. Who goes hunting before knowing what they plan to do with the meat? Who drives for hours to get to the shore to dry salt without checking a 3-5 day weather forecast? I guess the answer is, the people who do that are the ones who put an old 5 gallon bucket with snowshovels stuck in the sides for windmill vanes on top of a tower of brand new treated 4x4's. 

Oh, as for the gas for the trip. Don't forget they converted an old diesel truck to run off used cooking oil. So, if they collected enough used oil (IIRC they said they could get it free) fuel costs may have been nil.

• Love 1

The continuous hunting sequences are boring in the extreme. I liked the show better when we saw more "real life" scenes. I know hunting is part of it but it seems like we've spent a lot of time watching people walking, whispering, waiting, and eventually killing something. Colbert's scenes are my favorites because I can still see how he lives in the wilderness. Tony and Amelia used to have fun scenes of their homesteading life. Bees. Boiling down sycamore syrup. Chickens. Rabbits. Now its a staged scene at a store where the shopkeeper agrees to buy all their produce. I dunno. It feels so much more forced this season.

• Love 2

I agree the editors are reaching trying to create drama. The whole salt trip was pointless to me, surely the time and effort could have been better spent if they truly are trying to be self sufficient. But then the whole deer meat story line was backwards. Who goes hunting before knowing what they plan to do with the meat? Who drives for hours to get to the shore to dry salt without checking a 3-5 day weather forecast?

We are down to hooting and laughing at the show.  I still can't get over  going to the coast for salt after the get the deer.  How much did the gas cost - it was sooo stupid.  I did enjoy watching the rough smoker building but it was questionable.  I liked Thorn but now I'm beginning to wonder with his choice of loin cloth with a young daughter around at times.  They have to blur some sections because  he is not careful. 

It seems so forced this year with their story lines.  Thinking of the farmers Market with them standing there.  Ummmm.... nobody saw the camera or did the shoppers have to sign a release form so they could be filmed?  I do like the work with the bees and making honey but it seemed like the information about dumpster bread turned the one guy off.

Funniest scene was Thorne fliping his boat.  The hunting skills are lacking for a guy living in the wild.  But all in all Thorne is the most realistic.  Colbert comes in second. 

• Love 1
On 9/22/2016 at 11:07 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

The continuous hunting sequences are boring in the extreme. I liked the show better when we saw more "real life" scenes. I know hunting is part of it but it seems like we've spent a lot of time watching people walking, whispering, waiting, and eventually killing something. Colbert's scenes are my favorites because I can still see how he lives in the wilderness. Tony and Amelia used to have fun scenes of their homesteading life. Bees. Boiling down sycamore syrup. Chickens. Rabbits. Now its a staged scene at a store where the shopkeeper agrees to buy all their produce. I dunno. It feels so much more forced this season.

And I don't know if you noticed, but they're now all even repeating the same lines. Tony and Thorn and Colbert basically all said the exact same thing about hunting. I believe it was Tony and Thorn who even used the same wording. I want to get back to the boring day to day stuff. Boring to them because it's their day but not boring to me because it's not mine and not the way I do things.

On 9/22/2016 at 3:34 PM, Curious5 said:

I liked Thorn but now I'm beginning to wonder with his choice of loin cloth with a young daughter around at times.  They have to blur some sections because  he is not careful. 

We've gotten eye full in previous seasons that's for sure. I don't have an issue with his daughter being around him though. Nakedness doesn't have to be a sexual thing. She's learning about nature and dad has different parts than mom etc. And for her it's just normal/natural.

Edited by KarmaG
  • Love 1