Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

Rhodes Scholar Reporting the News Show Discussion

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I wonder if Rachel took the night off because they figured no one would be watching because of the Opening Ceremonies.

It could be, but considering the amount of hours she put in at the conventions for the previous 2 weeks, I'm not surprised she took a night off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Even without the Trump factor, they probably would have.  The Republicans just have too many seats to defend.  Then next time, that will be the Dems problem.

I wonder if Rachel took the night off because they figured no one would be watching because of the Opening Ceremonies.

Well, if so, that is again the Eastern-centric view of the world, because in the two western time zones, Rachel's show was on before the opening ceremony.  And I would have watched Rachel anyway!

1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It could be, but considering the amount of hours she put in at the conventions for the previous 2 weeks, I'm not surprised she took a night off.

And yes, I am sure this was more the reason.  I think it is much less work to do a couple of hours of convention hosting than spending eight hours preparing for a one-hour show that is scripted, but the Brian factor has to make the convention much more stressful.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Rachel deserves a break. I think time spent with BriWi and the odious Wallace should be measured like dog years. (And I used to like him! I loved his Regis impressions on Letterman.)

The "breaking news" banner misuse is getting embarrassing.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Most of the time, I think Steve's immersion in horse-race coverage is tedious, but I did enjoy his coverage last night of the most recent polling. Of course, that might be because so much of the map was blue....

Also, he looks like he's dropped a few pounds.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, I find all the speculation meaningless, even stupid.  This is what they're doing to fill time.  And I fear it will make Democrats complacent and not turn out to vote.  Speculating on states that might turn blue (at this point in time) is ridiculous.  I know it's what Kornacki does.  Maybe that's why I still find him unwatchable.   I was ready to throw something at the TV if I heard him say "landslide" one more time.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that all the speculation is like spinning wheels.  That is why bringing Kornacki to substitute for Rachel is a poor choice -- he projects and speculates, while others like Joy editorialize and contextualize. 

Now the speculation is not just "who will win?", but "how big will the landslide be?".  They think that to keep us watching and the advertisers paying, they need to create a sense of a contest to make it *news*.   It is already news, big news, if HRC is elected president. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, agreed that speculation isn't generally useful. I was just in the mood for some optimism last night.

I hope we get some focus on HRC and the historic nature of her nomination but it seems like Trump just sucks everyone's attention away. Instead of pointing out his lies, maybe someone could rebut some of the more egregious untruths spouted about HRC by his supporters.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I did like Steve's segment on Silber vs Weld.  It was even interesting to hear about his Massachusetts connection.  This is the kind of segment Rachel would have done, and Steve did a good job with it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

"Rachel will be back in this seat on Monday."  Yes, we expected that, but it is good to know! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

YES, finally, the "Manafort Files," let the digging begin on this Good Fellas looking thug.

Connect the dots, connect the dots...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Ahhhhh, yes, thank you for coming back!

Rachel at the :33-minute mark, about Trump's claim that he will win New York state -- really wonderful.  "No, it's not that I'm saying you probably won't win New York.  You. Will. Not. Win. New. York."  And then showed the huge difference in the polls, which I am afraid to quote because I might get it wrong, but humongous.

ETA:  The final minute, featuring the Irish rowers -- wonderful!  "It's real, it might look superimposed, but it's real." (the view)

Edited by jjj · Reason: Podium Pants (if you don't get it, you'll just have to watch the final minute!)
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

No one has mentioned that Ivanka is reported to be in the Ukraine (or Russia?) visited Putin's girlfriend!!!???

Lawrence mentioned that Ivanka is in the Ukraine (after showing the Trump boys with something they killed).  I didn't hear him say she was visiting Putin's girlfriend, but he did show a picture of her with another female. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Rachel saying Trump is toast made me laugh. Something about the way she said it.

For fun, read Chris Cilizza's annotated transcript of the Manafort interview with Jake Tapper (published yesterday in the Washington Post). Good stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I saw a snippet of an interview Manafort did with Nora O'Donnell & her question caught him by surprise & he was absolutely babbling .... huminahuminahumina.  LOL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I saw a snippet of an interview Manafort did with Nora O'Donnell & her question caught him by surprise & he was absolutely babbling .... huminahuminahumina.  LOL.

Was this today?  I don't know Nora O'Donnell - was she on MSNBC? 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, jjj said:

Was this today?  I don't know Nora O'Donnell - was she on MSNBC? 

Nora is on the CBS morning show (love her -- smart & beautiful) with Charlie & Gayle.  I saw the interview snippet late last week & I can't remember which show.  Sorry ...

Share this post


Link to post

That clip of young Trump was a real find.   I loved the interview with Trudeau when she had him on.   Goodness young Barron is going to look like him when he grows up.    

I totally forgot how Trudeau used to portray HW Bush as invisible.

Here is the info on Ivanka's vaycay.   And the boys were off hunting about 10 days ago--the days whenthere was going to be an intervention but then it didn't happen because the boys were gone on a hunting trip.

http://gawker.com/ivanka-trump-hanging-out-in-croatia-with-vladimir-putin-1785290129

I find it interesting that Trump is supposedly taking Chris Christie to his intelligence briefing.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, car54 said:

I find it interesting that Trump is supposedly taking Chris Christie to his intelligence briefing.

 

I find it terrifying...

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

But see, Christie does have a brain, he's not a moron in a sense of, he can fucking read. I have no doubt that he actually earned his degrees, he has brain cells, he's just a nasty prick and on the wrong side as far as I'm concerned.  So Trump needs him there because Trump's brain is fried, and I have serious doubts that he earned any of his degrees. I believe they were bought by his daddy quite frankly. He needs a brain there with the ability to explain the damn information to him at that briefing. He needs someone with enough intelligence to school him on what follow up questions need to be asked. They are allowed to ask questions, and that fool isn't going to know where to start, but I'm pretty confident that Christie would at least know where to start.

Edited by represent
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, represent said:

But see, Christie does have a brain, he's not a moron in a sense of, he can fucking read. I have no doubt that he actually earned his degrees, he has brain cells, he's just a nasty prick and on the wrong side as far as I'm concerned.  So Trump needs him there because Trump's brain is fried, and I have serious doubts that he earned any of his degrees. I believe they were bought by his daddy quite frankly. He needs a brain there with the ability to explain the damn information to him at that briefing. He needs someone with enough intelligence to school him on what follow up questions need to be asked. They are allowed to ask questions, and that fool isn't going to know where to start, but I'm pretty confident that Christie would at least know where to start.

Completely agree.  I did not hear Rachel say this -- will listen on the rerun.  But I'd be terrified to give Trump a briefing of sensitive materials, because either he will go out of the room not able to differentiate between confidential material and campaign fodder, plus his public position has been "I know more than the generals know."  Will he contradict the briefers?  Christie, I am sure, was thrilled to be asked to join the briefing, and will indeed ask better questions. 

Plus, who is the woman who is moderating the Bush-Dukakis debate that Rachel showed?   

Share this post


Link to post

I wrote this over on the MSNBC thread earlier today:

Quote

Rachel did do quite a hilarious segment on the dead doctor's letter about Trump's "astonishingly excellent" health, back when the letter was released late last year.  I remember her tapping the desk with a pencil in that sarcastic "REALLY???" punctuation she creates with the clicks. 

Very glad she has re-introduced the letter from Trump's "physician", complete with pen clicking on the desk.  And that Rachel (of course it is Rachel) is taking the right-wing media to task about the forged "documents" about HRC's health.  Glad she also addressed the need to rebut these made-up symptoms.  I don't think I have heard an interview with Robby Mook, and he actually seems like a manager, unlike the other campaign's top staff. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

There goes the 8-11 time slots actually doing their job and putting it right out that we're a heartbeat away from having a white supremacist and all his friends take hold of the oval office.  Thanks for connecting the dots out loud while your spineless, colleagues try to report on said campaign as if it's business as usual.  

Edited by represent
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/15/2016 at 9:18 PM, represent said:

YES, finally, the "Manafort Files," let the digging begin on this Good Fellas looking thug.

Connect the dots, connect the dots...

Manafort looks like Paulie from The Sopranos.  I shudder to think of any other similarities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder how much Trump's "Dream Team" is costing him.  LOL.

(I really wish Oprah would step up to the plate!!!)

ETA:  I'm informed by @represent that Oprah's already "with her".  Yay!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

38 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Manafort looks like Paulie from The Sopranos.  I shudder to think of any other similarities.

See, LOL, I've been saying this from the start. He is truly straight out of central casting. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Rachel did do quite a hilarious segment on the dead doctor's letter about Trump's "astonishingly excellent" health, back when the letter was released late last year.  I remember her tapping the desk with a pencil in that sarcastic "REALLY???" punctuation she creates with the clicks. 

I was LOL last night when she read that letter again.  And the guy's email and web site don't exist any more? 

It sounds like Trump wrote the letter and got the doctor to sign it. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

It sounds like Trump wrote the letter and got the doctor to sign it. 

When we know that Trump has posed as his own publicist more than once in the past, I don't doubt Trump wrote it himself. (Or "wrote" it. wevs) I do doubt the "doctor" signed it -- it's not like we'd know his real signature.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Fabulous segment about F.A.C.G., and the determination of Trump's doctor to keep using the affiliation to which he is no longer entitled, according to the organization that actually determines its membership, the Fellows of the American College of Gastroenterology.

Rachel was so filled with glee -- an answer both from the F.A.C.G. *and* from the actual Trump doctor.  Said Rachel:  "But this is the election of 2016, and honestly, I've never loved you more."

Yeah, someone who would write a letter like that would continue to claim an affiliation that he stopped paying for twenty years ago.  "Astonishingly excellent."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I swear if anyone had the chops to hack into Trump's college records, I have no doubt we could prove his degrees/certificates were bought as well. Oh man..that doctor looks sleazy.

Oh, Rachel is so cool. You can hear the camera folks and producers in the background laughing and having so much fun.

Edited by represent
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I love that the "doctor" said, "that certification is just a paid for title, it means nothing, but I'm still using it".

Show should be good tonight, Manafort just resigned. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I don't want to know what ads I'd start seeing if I clicked on that link.

Tonight's show should be fun. Then again, I'm getting tired of so much coverage of Trump. Has Clinton done nothing worth noting this week? How about some more coverage of the Louisiana devastation?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Grommet said:

I don't want to know what ads I'd start seeing if I clicked on that link.

I had to click for the rest of you, happy to help -- and it was surprisingly free of popups!  It was hours ago, and no detrimental aftereffects on my computer! The article actually noted other MSNBC hosts by name as rising in ratings -- Lawrence O'Donnell and Chris Hayes. 

4 hours ago, attica said:

I'm glad the headline summarizes the info, @jjj, so I don't have to give them my click. Heh.

And whoo hoo for TRMS!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I felt like hearing that Bannon watches her show every night kind of creeped Rachel out tonight.  "Maddow leaves a mark"  indeed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On 19 August 2016 at 9:55 PM, jjj said:

I had to click for the rest of you, happy to help -- and it was surprisingly free of popups!  It was hours ago, and no detrimental aftereffects on my computer! The article actually noted other MSNBC hosts by name as rising in ratings -- Lawrence O'Donnell and Chris Hayes. 

I hope AM Joy and TRMS were also listed. In any case, I am glad these are the msnbc shows that more poeole are tuning into. They are the few truth tellers on the network and entire mass media as far as I am concerned.

 

I would hate it if a show like Chris' Matthews or Morning Joe rises in ratings.

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, car54 said:

I felt like hearing that Bannon watches her show every night kind of creeped Rachel out tonight.  "Maddow leaves a mark"  indeed.

Yeah, I'm afraid for her, that stopped me in my tracks when I heard it.  WTF? Kind of chilling IMO.

But the guy said he goes after those who are fact-based, so if you think of it that way the pickings are slim and Rachel Maddow would no doubt be at the top of that list. 

He was like yeah Rachel...he watches your show...say what? LOL

Well did you hear her say many weeks ago that David Duke calls her up every time she covers him? Then she looked into the camera and told him not to call, and told her political guest to tell him not to call.

Edited by represent
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I don't think Andrea Mitchell likes Hillary .... just sayin'.

No she doesn't and neither does her loser husband who helped crash the fucking economy, Alan Greenspan.  I heard that old frog on the radio over the weekend while driving around doing my errands, talking shit about dems... and their policies.

Edited by represent
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

I hope AM Joy and TRMS were also listed. In any case, I am glad these are the msnbc shows that more poeole are tuning into. They are the few truth tellers on the network and entire mass media as far as I am concerned.

Oh, yes, the article actually was about TRMS, and her name is even in the URL. 

Thanks for the report on Alan Greenspan (below) -- very useful to know, and I would not have heard him talking anti-Dem on the radio. 

1 hour ago, represent said:

No she doesn't and neither does her loser husband who helped crash the fucking economy, Alan Greenspan.  I heard that old frog on the radio over the weekend while driving around doing my errands, talking shit about dems... and their policies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I knew it!

I knew I had Jeff Weaver pegged right, it comes out of his pores, LOL.  You don't have proof, but the person just oozes "it" out whenever you're in their presence. I love it LOL!  He is most definitely a bull, attack dog is right.  He always looked like he was ready to explode.

I thought the barbershop with Mike Pence came off cute because of the barber. She didn't show the entire clip, which isn't exactly fair. At the end when the barber finds out that Pence is running for VP with Trump, he more focuses on Pence, he asks to shake Pence's hand again and then says well this is history and chuckles. It would have been charming overall if Pence wasn't on the wrong team and I didn't know he signed some law giving businesses the right to refuse service to LGBTQ citizens in Indiana... oh well.

Edited by represent
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I knew it!

I knew Trump wasn't going to be on Maddow...she teased something, something big. Then she teased how Trump does all these other interviews...but try as I might, I could not see Trump subjecting himself to a Maddow interview. No way!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

I knew it!

I knew Trump wasn't going to be on Maddow...she teased something, something big. Then she teased how Trump does all these other interviews...but try as I might, I could not see Trump subjecting himself to a Maddow interview. No way!

That was way more tease time than it merited.  That said, I look forward to the interview.

The barber segment was charming, and thank you for letting us know there is more footage to view!

34 minutes ago, represent said:

I thought the barbershop with Mike Pence came off cute because of the barber. She didn't show the entire clip, which isn't exactly fair. At the end when the barber finds out that Pence is running for VP with Trump, he more focuses on Pence, he asks to shake Pence's hand again and then says well this is history and chuckles. It would have been charming overall if Pence wasn't on the wrong team and I didn't know he signed some law giving businesses the right to refuse service to LGBTQ citizens in Indiana... oh well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size