Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Celebrate Me Scones

I scared my poor, sick cat by laughing out loud when Danger Zone kicked in.  Footloose was anti-climactic after that.

I still don’t know how they bandy about an alternate identify of Bocephus without ever mentioning Hank Williams Jr. but clearly I am going to need to let that go.

The letter and the song dedication ... good lord, I love this show.  I wonder how many musicians they had to go through in the development of the script before they found someone willing to appear.

Mark as Shaft undercover investigating the ticket fraud ... almost as good.

I'm open to Mark/Emma, but it's moving a bit fast.  Although, since Mark has already signed divorce papers, more time must have transpired than we've seen.   

• Love 3

I was already amused by the "Caddysnacks" and all the great food puns, but when the toilet flushed and they panned to the Pooh Corner sign on the door, I laughed so hard I woke my husband who was sleeping upstairs. 

I've got the same complaint that I had last year:  these seasons are just too short.  Not only because I want to enjoy at least twice as much of all the magic that this show has, but also because short seasons make things like Mark's split, divorce and potential reconciliation with Emma feel way too abrupt.

Speaking of abrupt, my DVR cut off right when Mark stepped out on the porch and said "Emma".  What happened after that?

Perfect blend of funny and sweetness.  They really do balance this show out well, and that's saying a lot because I can't stand Maggie's Bocephus character.  I groaned right along with Emma when the trucker hat showed up, but because of the way it all played out, I just couldn't be mad.  Doesn't hurt that I also have love for Kenny Loggins.  It's possible that several of his songs are on my iPod right now.

• Love 5

I wonder how many musicians they had to go through in the development of the script before they found someone willing to appear.

Isn't there a Kenny Loggins history that made him an obvious choice? In the pilot when Emma is driving through town doesn't she start singing a Kenny Loggins song? I have a vague memory of that. If so, it probably played out the way it usually does for shows that fixate on a certain actor, singer or athlete. The celebrity hears about it, is flattered, and eventually appears on the show. Tears for Fears (or one of them anyway) appearing on Psych, for example.

The  romance feels a little rushed, and now I'm worried that ratings are bad so they wanted to give a semi-satisfying ending if it turned out to be the series finale. Hope I'm wrong. 

Good to know Kenny can still flex the golden pipes.

now I'm worried that ratings are bad so they wanted to give a semi-satisfying ending if it turned out to be the series finale. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah...I was too askeered to address that, but it definitely felt like a tidy bookend finish, tying together the first and last episodes and answering so many plot questions, if not all of them.

Mark and Emma?  Yes.

Will Maggie kick ass at nursing school and become the best body-rolling nurse Connecticut has ever seen?  Yes.

Does Emma have a job?  Yes.

Are Maggie and Emma the sweetest and most realistic lifelong girlfriendship ever portrayed on television?  Yes.

Will Maggie and her ex get back together?  No, but now she has the confidence to get back out into the dating world after her post-baby test drive with him.

Can Kenny Loggins make fun of himself and still be awesome?  Yes.

As I reflect on the episode, I also have big appreciation for everything Stephnie Weir did in her scene in the car - especially the gangsta hand signs as she said, "YOU JUST GOT WILLCALLED!", as well as the entire adorable scene with Zach and Pam (Pamela Segal from Say Anything OMG SQUEE!) discussing their most epic musical performance stories.

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 4

As I reflect on the episode, I also have big appreciation for everything Stephnie Weir did in her scene in the car

Heh. I missed the "You got Willcalled". Will have to go back and watch.  She jalso just recently played Hilary Clinton's anger translator on Key and Peele opposite Keegan as Obama's anger translator. I think she and Keegan have a history dating back to Mad TV.

• Love 1
The  romance feels a little rushed, and now I'm worried that ratings are bad so they wanted to give a semi-satisfying ending if it turned out to be the series finale. Hope I'm wrong.

I hope you're wrong too! I do agree the Mark/Emma plot feels rushed, and while I love Keegan-Michael Key and like them together in the abstract, I hesitate with getting fully on board with this direction if it means the loss of Birdbones. I love that character, and it's hard to see how any of the main three characters could continue having much of a real relationship with her if Mark and Emma get together. 

It shows my age that I thought Zach was pretty hot serving some heavily-eyelinered 80s rocker realness. 

• Love 4

Perfect blend of funny and sweetness.  They really do balance this show out well, and that's saying a lot because I can't stand Maggie's Bocephus character.  I groaned right along with Emma when the trucker hat showed up, but because of the way it all played out, I just couldn't be mad.  Doesn't hurt that I also have love for Kenny Loggins.  It's possible that several of his songs are on my iPod right now.

I also am not crazy about Bocephus and was dreading his reappearance since the previews last week. And not just because of Bocephus, but I wasn't really thrilled with this episode as a season finale - I thought Officer of the Year was much stronger in terms of plot, character development, and wardrobe choices - although props to Zach for really pulling off the goth-lite look.

That being said, I do love how kind this show is to its characters. I love that Rabbi Dan is back at the gym and doing well, and that Emma immediately swings from feeling guilty about hurting him to being a little bit hurt that he's already moved on. I also loved her speech to Mark about not being able to promise that they'll never hurt each other, and how realistic it was that Mark, who clearly is so into her jam, is still wary of starting things up again with her. And I loved Maggie's summary of Emma's little breakdown, which I don't remember word for word but was something along the lines of 'You quoted Maya Angelou and then pointed at your crotch.'

So, I would definitely not be satisfied if this turned out to be a series finale, but it had a lot of nice little moments that demonstrate what had made, and continues to make, this series such a delight to watch. If there's some kind of petition I can sign for season 3, just point me toward it!

• Love 5

I hate my DVR.  It cut off BEFORE Mark stepped onto the porch.  I had no idea it happened until now but it makes me feel better because I couldn't believe they'd live things THAT unresolved.  

Oh and Lennon clearly has some kind of history with the Loggins love, his music all over the Womp It Up Podcasts.  Which I'll be re-listening to while I re-binge-watch Playing House...like the entire series.  I can't get enough of Parham and St. Clair. 

• Love 1

I even kind of like their Mazda commercials, you guys. And I never like commercials. The fact that I am willing to not fast forward past a car commercial just to have another 60 seconds of these two women interacting says everything, and if this show doesn't get renewed you can bet that I will be doing stretches and bends while wearing a garbage bag around town to express my sorrow.

• Love 5

Not to look a guest star in the mouth, but what is the deal with the grammar of "Celebrate me home"? Is he saying it like a pirate would, actually meaning "celebrate my home"? Or is celebrate an action verb with some kind of transportation property, like "celebrate me (to my) home"?

I've always wondered that, too, and I think it's supposed to mean welcome me home as though it's a big event?  As I come home, make it a celebration?  Maybe?  I honestly don't know.

ETA:  I just looked at the lyrics, and it almost seems like a song he wrote about himself coming home for the holidays after being out touring and roaming a lot.  He's been lonely and is so looking forward to seeing friendly, familiar faces again, and he's asking for it to be made special because he's going to have to leave again.  The one line that really makes zero sense to me is "Give me a number".  Um...okay........nine?  Sixteen?  What are you even talking about Kenny Loggins?

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 4

I even kind of like their Mazda commercials, you guys. And I never like commercials. The fact that I am willing to not fast forward past a car commercial just to have another 60 seconds of these two women interacting says everything, and if this show doesn't get renewed you can bet that I will be doing stretches and bends while wearing a garbage bag around town to express my sorrow.

The Toyota people are probably pretty disappointed to hear you say that. ;)

• Love 8

I feel like they saved the best for last, because that episode felt like the funniest one since the premiere -- especially the puns! And I love Bocephus as long as "he" isn't overused -- once a season is just right. I wish this show had a bigger budget for the supporting cast -- only about 3 episodes apiece for Bruce, Zach, Gwen, and Birdbones? Boo! But most of all I do hope to see this show again next year!

Yes I edited this post 5 days later because I'm embarrassed I called Emma's mom "Maggie"!

Edited by Lingo
  • Love 1

Love this show. Mrs Dollar and I just finished binge watching both seasons. We both hated every second that Rabbi Dan was on the screen, however. As for the rushed ending and the possibility of changing the story line to bump up ratings, I would assume that all eps are finished well before they would have any opportunity to react to ratings.

This is the second time I've seen Kenny Loggins appear as himself to support a story based on one of his songs. He did the same thing in Raising Hope, although I can't remember which song was involved.

This is the second time I've seen Kenny Loggins appear as himself to support a story based on one of his songs. He did the same thing in Raising Hope, although I can't remember which song was involved.

It was Danny's Song and he appeared.on the series finale and it was a callback to the Raising Hope pilot when Virginia sings it.

• Love 1

Over all a very cute episode. Not a fan of Bosephus but I'll take it for my favorite throw away line of the series... when Zack is talking to the guitar lady and says that his perfect pitch is both a blessing and a curse because "doorbells. they are NEVER correct" 

• Love 3

WHAAAT? Why would we live in a world where that could even be a possibility? Has society as a whole completely lost it's sense of all that is right and good in the world? I can only hope that TPTB have watched even five minutes of one episode and realize the pure gold they have and renew quickly. And thank you to esco1822 for enhancing my life even more by informing me of the Parham/St. Clair podcast which I am currently downloading and plan to binge over the weekend!

Late to the party, just mainlined this show and Zach Woods in eyeliner can GET IT, yes sir.  I love female friendships being celebrated and this is one of the greats, fantastic.  (Season 3, more Birdbones please!  Specifically, more Birdbones and Emma/Maggie all being friends, because that's awesome.)

• Love 2

Wow, this season was just too too short. 

I just discovered this show over the past few weeks, thanks to the PTV recaps and my weakness for Keegan-Michael Key, and I've absolutely loved every moment of it. I thought season two was, if possible, even better and funnier than season one.

I also thought this was one of the funniest episodes of the show to date. I don't laugh out loud at TV very often, but when "Danger Zone" started up as the "roadies" started their slo-mo walk, fell to pieces, then laughed until I cried when "Bocephus" smacked both Emma and Zack (still in slow-motion) and they both looked at her with so much outrage. I love that aspect of Maggie -- there's something so kidlike and wonderful about her total commitment to stuff like Bocephus, and it's what makes her seem so real to me.

(I agree that Bocephus should not be utilized too often -- that wigged hat needs to stay locked away and ONLY used sparingly! But I thought every Bocephus moment was golden here.)

On 9/8/2015 at 8:02 PM, Bastet said:

I scared my poor, sick cat by laughing out loud when Danger Zone kicked in.  Footloose was anti-climactic after that.

I did too (scare my cats). It was just a genius moment. (And I hope your poor sick kitty recovered...)

On 9/8/2015 at 8:14 PM, Irritable said:

I was already amused by the "Caddysnacks" and all the great food puns, but when the toilet flushed and they panned to the Pooh Corner sign on the door, I laughed so hard I woke my husband who was sleeping upstairs. 

"Pooh Corner!" That was another laugh-out-loud moment for me as well. And again when Mark showed up in his undercover "Shaft" outfit -- the sideburns!

On 9/9/2015 at 8:51 AM, stanleyk said:

I hesitate with getting fully on board with this direction if it means the loss of Birdbones. I love that character, and it's hard to see how any of the main three characters could continue having much of a real relationship with her if Mark and Emma get together. 

It shows my age that I thought Zach was pretty hot serving some heavily-eyelinered 80s rocker realness. 

I liked Bird Bones too, but I can also see her realistically in the mix next season on an occasional basis. I don't think Mark & Emma (if it happens) has to mean that she's toast as a character. And I actually think and hope that this show could make Mark and Emma in a relationship just as funny and interesting as the two of them in the yearning phases. I have faith that they'd handle it well. (I've always hated the fallacy of the "Moonlighting Curse," as plenty of shows have involved couples in successful relationships. For instance, I loved the way Parks & Rec handled Leslie and Ben -- a great example of an adorable couple that were entertaining and funny even after they got together.)

Also, I'm totally with you on Zach and the guyliner! I thought at first they were going to dress him as a girl (as they had in the video as kids), so when he walked out as a kind of tall, brooding Gothy guy, I admit it, I was kind of, like, "Hellooooo, Zach." 

I also loved Zach's scenes with the roadie girl -- Zach has turned into one of my favorite characters on the show.

On 9/9/2015 at 11:25 PM, Lingo said:

I feel like they saved the best for last, because that episode felt like the funniest one since the premiere -- especially the puns! And I love Bocephus as long as "he" isn't overused -- once a season is just right. I wish this show had a bigger budget for the supporting cast -- only about 3 episodes apiece for Bruce, Zach, Gwen, and Birdbones? Boo! But most of all I do hope to see this show again next year!

I really missed Gwen, although her Pashminas of Craziness were definitely a high point earlier this season! Also, I just think Jane Kaczmarek is so gifted and funny, and like everyone else in this cast, she made Gwen into a much more lovable and complex person than your typical sitcom mom. 

On 11/24/2015 at 9:10 PM, TallulahBelle said:

Late to the party, just mainlined this show and Zach Woods in eyeliner can GET IT, yes sir.  I love female friendships being celebrated and this is one of the greats, fantastic.  (Season 3, more Birdbones please!  Specifically, more Birdbones and Emma/Maggie all being friends, because that's awesome.)

I've been tiresomely repeating "YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS SHOW" to my best female friends (most especially the college roomie who is still like family to me decades later), and it's so frustrating because I'm sure they have a certain image of what this show is (like, maybe too Mommy- or baby-centric or something), and the reality is that it's so much warmer, breezier and funnier than I ever expected. 

And now that we know there will be a season 3, BRING IT ON. Can't wait.

• Love 1

I had no idea this show existed until a few weeks ago. Maybe because all we watch on USA is Motive and that hasn't always aired on USA?  Anyway, I assume there was little to no promotion or marketing. I liked the gals in their previous show so I wanted to check this out.  My husband had to stay in all weekend 2 weeks ago for an allergic reaction so we binged S1 on On Demand. S2 on the other hand, was nowhere to be found on On Demand or on USA's website -- despite their suggestion to "Binge-watch every episode of the first two seasons!" 

We eventually found S2 on Hulu, only available until the following Monday -- so I signed up for a free month so we could catch S2. This is a funny show but watching both seasons in one weekend is a LOT.  Anyway, I don't understand how they expect to bring in new fans if they don't make all the episodes easily available online for free...

Edited by Jillybean