Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Pretty Cheeks

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I'm not saying that argument holds no merit, but I think he irritated Kate from the word "go", and she might be holding on to the fact that HE was a bit condescending to HER when they first met. I mean, "hi, nice to meet you...by the way. I prefer TWO pillows" isn't exactly the best first impression. She should be more open minded to getting to know the guy instead of holding on to her initial reaction to him, but it seems to be her thing.

Hmmm, I think she wasn't going to like him regardless.

• Love 3

I think Kate knows exactly what she's dealing with in Rocky.  It's obvious Rocky is used to being the center of attention and being told how wonderful she is.  It's Kate's unlucky job to train Rocky in the ways of a Stew.  It looked like before the first charter that Kate did give Amy and Rocky each the list of things that needed to be done.  It would appear that Rocky didn't complete her tasks and that's why Kate decided to train her step by step before the next charter.  Kate's just doing her job, recognizing also that if Rocky screws up in front of a guest it could mean they all are docked on their tip.  Just like Eddie is to blame if the deckhands don't do their work, Kate is to blame about the Stews.

Leon is just a piece of work.  It looks like beautiful food, but there's absolutely an arrogance there, I didn't mind him telling them to fish since they already seemed to have planned to do that, I did mind in the last episode where he cooked them "Mexican Spaghetti" for their Mexican theme party.  If the guests want Mexican, it's your job to serve them Mexican.

• Love 9
I'm not saying that argument holds no merit, but I think he irritated Kate from the word "go", and she might be holding on to the fact that HE was a bit condescending to HER when they first met. I mean, "hi, nice to meet you...by the way. I prefer TWO pillows" isn't exactly the best first impression. She should be more open minded to getting to know the guy instead of holding on to her initial reaction to him, but it seems to be her thing.

I agree.  This bothered me, too, when he did it.  Treating her like she's there to serve him as well as the guests was a big misstep, and had I been her in that moment, I would have probably not have handled it with much grace. 

I haven't seen anything about Kate so far that shows me she dislikes Leon for any reason other than his smug personality bugs her.  She doesn't feel that he treats her as an equal, so she has the same attitude back.  She's got a lot more visible disdain for Rocky, and last season she had it for Amy - she likes some people and doesn't like others, for various reasons, but based on her behavior in the past I've got no reason to expect her to have a problem with Cynthia Bailey and Co., unless they act like assholes or get on her nerves in some way.  I'm not saying her reasons for disliking the people have necessarily been reasonable, but I'm loathe at this point to label her racist without something more than her not liking the way Leon does things.  I'm almost positive that every one of us has encountered someone at work whose personalities we just don't mesh with, and some of us might even be snarky about them.  I sincerely hope racial tensions don't become a part of this show, it would ruin what is otherwise a fairly light program.  She's not the sweetest person, I completely agree, but because I think being racist is one of the most awful things any human being can be, I try to be careful about stamping people with that label until I really feel sure about it.  Maybe next week she will prove me wrong, but as of right now, I think she's just an uptight snoot.

I looked it up, and Leon could have just boiled the conch in saltwater for 10 minutes to get it out of the shell.  They've got wifi service, he could have just googled that shit and looked like way less of an ass.

• Love 17

I looked it up, and Leon could have just boiled the conch in saltwater for 10 minutes to get it out of the shell.  They've got wifi service, he could have just googled that shit and looked like way less of an ass.

Well, why go through all that trouble when you can just pull some frozen consch out of the freezer and then lie about it? Douche. 

• Love 4
Does anyone know exactly what kind of diving championship Rocky won? I thought being an award-winning athlete involved lots of dedication and hard work, of which I have seen exactly zero evidence from her. And it's an individual sport, so it's not as if she could have just swanned for the crowd and let teammates do all the work of winning.

She was probably the best diver on her high-school team. Maybe she won districts.

But I can't help it, I like watching her. Maybe because of her hair.

All I want in life is for the girls from Princesses Long Island or Gallery Girls to show up as charter guests.

• Love 5

kate is a good judge of people......spot on about chef leon and rocky. i wouldnt be surprised if chef leon "embellished" his resume to get on a luxury yacht.  and yes, she was right about amy last season.  amy is a hard worker but amy loves drama and likes to be in the middle of drama....she can't differentiate the two last season and now both seemed to have done so.  both amy and kate know what to expect from each other so they get along.....but amy seems to be trying to get in the drama of other people to feel involved.

don.  oh don.  either that accident did more damage to your brain or there is some roid rage going on in your body.  only one way to tell......let's see them balls.  are they tiny from the roid use?

but we seriously need more font lessons from kate this season.

i await for the day the charter guests ask for a nude fashion show so we can see some naked eddie ;)

• Love 4

All I want in life is for the girls from Princesses Long Island or Gallery Girls to show up as charter guests.

Oh, man... talk about two of Bravo's shiniest one-hit wonder gems! This summer, I actually went to the winery where that little troll, Ashley, decided to run off from her friends like a petulant baby and it was all I could do but laugh thinking about it while I was there.  LOL

• Love 3

I'll hold off on labeling Kate a racist until I see how she interacts with a person of color who isn't abrasive and dismissive from the moment they meet. Leon's own demeanor and attitude offer plenty of explanation for how someone could form a dislike of him without needing to attribute it to his skin color.

That said, I'd be glad of the opportunity to try his cooking, as the guests have raved about everything he's prepared so far.

• Love 12

She was probably the best diver on her high-school team. Maybe she won districts.

Don't tease me like that! LI Princesses! Please!

• Love 1

I loved Eddie the first season, but not as much last season or this. I've come to the conclusion that what I loved was "Dave and Eddie" and that's why Eddie by himself isn't working for me. I think he knows his stuff and he's good with the guests. It's just that he can only manage people who don't need much managing.

I want to love Kate, because her THs are golden, but she lies easily and not gracefully. There was the basil "mojito" last season and denying the penis towel to the captain. Then more basil this episode when lying to the guests about Leon's secret sauce. Still, one personality flaw doesn't indicate others, so, without some evidence, I'm not looking for ulterior motives in her dislike of Leon. With his abrupt and dismissive manner, he's provided plenty of motivation himself.

When the clients asked Leon how he prepared the ceviche, they didn't mean how did he manage to get the conch out of the shell. He answered a question they didn't ask, and his entire answer was a lie. Did he not agree to cook the conch if they brought some back? He could have said no beforehand if he didn't want to work with something unfamiliar.

Yes, this. I couldn't understand why he was answering a question they hadn't asked, unless he was so caught up in his own lie he misinterpreted what the guest said. He could have said he didn't want to work with something unfamiliar, but instead he lied to the guests and said he knew all about handling fresh conch. This included the somewhat creepy notion that you had to "treat it like a woman." Plus, he irked me last week when he ended his response to the captain's radio message with "over and out." I'm looking forward to Leon out.

• Love 5

That would be incredible! Especially Chantal from GG and Ashley from Princesses.

• Love 2

My jaw dropped when Don started smarting back to Captain Lee that he had the engineer's orders to follow and that Lee just didn't understand. HOW has this puffed-up moron managed to work on other boats before, or in any job where he has to take orders from a boss? Him asking Kate and Amy for advice made it sound as if he's never been called on the carpet by the captain of a boat he worked on before, which I find frankly impossible to believe given his belligerent attitude.

My first question would be then, "Why in the world did the Captain and/or the Bosun hire this Don person in the first place?"  Perhaps...like someone else pointed out on this forum, the producers of this reality show purposely hired employees like Don and Rocky so that drama would play out for this season.  Clearly, Don was arrogant and egoistic and Rocky is just plain immature and underqualified.   I'd say the rest of the crew such as Amy, Connie and Leon seem to be working out okay.  Though, Kate has a tendency to pick on people just because she feels like it.  She did the same to the last chef, Ben Robinson.  Kate is a troublemaker and Eddie has a God complex and is truly a sarcastic individual. Now, there wouldn't be a show if there weren't any drama, but I still say the leadership starts and ends with the Captain.       

Edited by Mars7

I think Kate knew Don from before the show, so maybe she recommended him based on his prior engineering experience? Though I can't imagine anyone thinking he'd be a positive addition to a crew unless he had a completely different personality pre-juicing.

• Love 2

I think Don and Rocky have the same problem; they think they're too good for the jobs they're doing.  That may be true, but that's where they are, so they need to do the job.  Don didn't want to do it so he left; I think Rocky should do the same if she feels the job isn't for her.  

• Love 8

I'm so glad Don is gone. What a toolbag. Every time he had a talking head, I felt rage. Even when he's not making sleazy comments about Rocky's butt cheeks (which really put me over the edge), there's just something about him I cannot take. 

• Love 4

Kate not knowing the QEII baffled me. Really? She is queen of her own little world but doesn't seem to know much outside it. Still, I really enjoy watching her.

Don quitting was too fun and probably the best move he could have made. I assume he Netflix'd last season and saw the other guy that got on Captain Lee's shit list and how that played out. So he quit before he got assigned a bunch of crap jobs with Capt. Lee standing over him. Not sorry to see him go. I love how laid back Capt. Lee is, even when he's totally pissed off inside.

Rocky Raquel: Why does a lovely girl want a harsh nickname like "Rocky"? And just pick a name! You're either Rocky or Raquel, decide which one you prefer and tell people, especially when they ask. She's such a mess. If she simply focused and learned what Kate's trying to teach her, maybe she'd get swim breaks more often. Maybe she has ADD? I have no interest in her crew-mance with Emile. He's a fool to get involved with her.

Chef Leon gets rave reviews and still Kate can't team up with him for the good of the cruises. I understood her not wanting to sleep side by side, and sometimes people just make a bad first impression that you can't erase, but I don't get the disdain she maintains (no, don't think it's racially motivated) and inability to get past her annoyance with him in order to keep things running smoothly and get those big tip$$$.

Ah well, it all makes the show more interesting I suppose. They've got to be something of a motley crew in order to entertain. 

• Love 3

I agree about Don except I was hoping he was the one that falls in between the boats in the preview. 

Oh crap, I forgot about that from the previews. Now I'm worried this means someone I like will get the Ricardo-Montalban-in-The-Naked-Gun treatment. I suppose there's no hope that's Don on his exit from the yacht at the next port of call? Being flattened while attempting to swing down the dock ropes like Tarzan would be a fitting end for him.

• Love 4

Kate not knowing the QEII baffled me. Really? She is queen of her own little world but doesn't seem to know much outside it. Still, I really enjoy watching her.

Ha, yah! I forgot about that....that was so weird. How on earth would she not know that...? My boat experience consists of one cruise as a teenager, a handful of small fishing boats, a ferry or two, and a duck paddle boat in a pond as a child, but I always thought the QEII was kind of famous... Yet Ms. Boat Queen is confused? Okay.

• Love 3

I knew the QEII was the pinnacle of luxury cruise ships when I was a kid back in the early 80s. I get that there's probably a world of difference between serving large numbers of passengers of whatever class and the more personalized service on yacht charters, but it's not as if a chef from the flagship of the Cunard line is serving shit-on-a-shingle to thousands of Navy seamen and Marines.

• Love 7

I love Capt. Lee saying "someone screwed the pooch" and the unintended (yeah, right) pun about ironing out the laundry problem. I think he used the pooch phrase last season as well. I love when people used outdated slang words and phrases because they're fun. I just adore him and love watching his subtle amusement at the ridiculousness of it all. I can hear him asking himself, "What the heck did I get myself into here?" although by this season I'd say he's enjoying the fame and extra cash. He seems a bit more relaxed now as well, like he knows that it's just a TV show and he might as well have fun with it.

Speaking of the laundry disaster -- and it looked like a total disaster, not just a mixup -- are we going to see Rocky get taken to task for that in the next episode I hope? Kate can't really blame Rocky for Don's idiocy, but she sure can tell her to get the laundry sorted out shipshape and on time next time. Maybe she's one of those people who think that if she does a bad job she won't be given that job again. Um, I don't see Kate operating that way.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

I finally figured out who Rocky reminds me of..

Fernando Valenzuela!

What the hell are you looking at up on the ceiling.

LOL!  I am always thinking the same thing....what in the world is she doing?!  Its so distracting...I spend my time thinking about why she does that and end up missing some of what the heck she is saying...   Any therapists out here who knows why she does that???

• Love 1

One of the housewives' reunion show (I think?!) someone kept spouting that if you look away when you talking to someone you are telling a lie.  So maybe that it's.  (wink)

ETA:  On further thought, I think it was a Shahs of Sunset reunion.  Not housewives.

Edited by TexasGal

Every season needs people who are going to be a problem.  That's what creates the drama.  We need people to like: Eddie, Amy, Ben, Emile and Connie.  Then we need villains, Don, Leon, and Rocky who are either smug, stupid or obnoxious or all three. That provides lots of room for confrontations and disagreements which equals drama.

I think the show producers do the hiring because if Capt Lee were to hire, he would get a bunch of professionals who did their job and did it well. and that would be boring.  

Don was a jerk...a real tool.  When he told Capt Lee he needs to report to his real boss the First Engineer,  I pretty much decided what he said was scripted because even HE couldn't be that stupid.  He's gone..good.  Let's see if they bring back a deckhand from earlier or get a new one like they did with Logan.

Kate is a jekyl and hyde.  Mostly good at what she does, but looks to be lousy at the people part of her job.  She has little personality for a stewardess who job it is to engage the guests.  She can be downright vicious and condescending and NEVER finds anything to be her fault.  She was mean and evil to Amy last year...a real bitch.  Amy has Kate beat hands down when it comes to serving the guests.  So I will take Amy's  "Hooter" type service (as Kate calls it) over Kate's "stoic" dead pan looks anytime.  By the way, never been in Hooters, but if servers there smile and joke a lot like Amy, I'm game to go.

Eddie -what's to say? Ed's a doll love his work ethic and funny as hell.  Two thumbs up!

Emile - Seems like a good guy. Love his work ethic and that he wasn't afraid to stand up to that jerk Don. Kudos.  I don't think he is as cute as he thinks he is.  I'm with Connie on this one.  But I would like to see him stick around a bit more.

Rocky - OMG, where do I begin?  She is basically this season's "Samantha" from season one, with a good helping of weirdness.  I'm sure a therapist could tell us why Rocky is always staring at the ceiling and weaving her head back and forth.  At the risk of being silly, I'll guess that maybe she  hit her head on one of those high diving boards she was jumping off of.  Even I know that the higher you go on the boat, more profound the effect of the waves and I've never set foot on a yacht.  So you cannot equate standing still on a high dive platform, to swaying back and forth in the ocean at very high heights next to a revolving radar.

Amy - love her, took too much crap from Kate last year. Hope she gets to be head stewardess at some point hopefully with Kate and Kat under her. :-)

Leon - apparently a good chef at some things and a complete asshole at others.  Who doesn't know to have a plan B for food if the guests com back empty handed from fishing.  Who serves spaghetti as a Mexican dish?  And if the guests give you a specific time frame for their meal why do you think you don't have to follow it?  But I would love to eat his food.

Connie - love her attitude.  a bit easy if you take your clothes off for anyone who says "Wanna go fishing?"

Capt Lee - yes!

• Love 2

The Mexican spaghetti was a hit with the guests so I saw nothing wrong with it. They were surprised and pleased. Fajitas would have been expected but unexciting. He took a chance and it worked.

I liked that Leon admitted to the disdainful Kate that he started cooking "professionally" at McDonald's. Nothing to be ashamed of, and look where he got himself.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5

Fideo is a pretty delicious Mexican dish. Some Americans think Mexican and they think of burritos, fajitas, or tacos so I like that Leon threw something at them that they weren't expecting. And they were quite happy with the meal.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 2

The Mexican spaghetti was a hit with the guests so I saw nothing wrong with it. They were surprised and pleased. Fajitas would have been expected but unexciting. He took a chance and it worked.

I liked that Leon admitted to the disdainful Kate that he started cooking "professionally" at McDonald's. Nothing to be ashamed of, and look where he got himself.

I agree.  I mean where did Kate start her career?  Obviously she doesn't have much education if she calls the QE2 a "cruise ship."

• Love 1

I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler but it looks to me like Eddie is the one that falls into the water in the previews. Hard to tell though. Maybe it was Emile instead. But as usual the editing monkeys made it look worse than it probably was. Presumably whoever fell in can swim, so I imagine they were ok.

Basically, I think when Rocky does her bug flying act, it's just that.  When shes actually not giving herself torticollis from always whipping it in the same direction, she's being herself.  People shift their eyes when they are thinking, not necessarily lying.  In order to put on her act, she has to think about her schtick. So she looks away to think and wave her head like the flag on the ship.

I just wish she'd keep her tongue in her head when she laughs.  That's something I'm used to seeing on babies, not adults.  As a deaf lipreader, it drives me insane.

• Love 4

I can understand the Kate hate, but if you really really cannot stand a thing she says or does, how can you even watch this show? She is on most of the show. I think she's reality gold. Her talking heads are spit on. I agree she's a bitch, but she's good at what she does and I enjoy her.

I enjoy just about everyone. I'm glad Don's leaving. And I wouldn't mind if Leon left. Although he seems to be a better chef than Ben was.

Rocky? Quit looking up! Argh! Stop. That.

When they were fishing I said "this is why I watch! Scenery porn!"

Edited to add:spot on

Not spit on

Lol

• Love 5
I think he irritated Kate from the word "go", and she might be holding on to the fact that HE was a bit condescending to HER when they first met. I mean, "hi, nice to meet you...by the way. I prefer TWO pillows" isn't exactly the best first impression.

What the heck was that about?! A normal person would have asked, "Where do you find the pillows?" not instruct the other person to fetch them one. I'm not a fan of Leon either. He's got that standard Chef Superiority Complex and diva attitude. (Can you tell I've dated chefs?)

I liked Eddie's TH, "Kate's vicious. She's great, she's a good friend, but she's vicious when* ..." My goal in life is for people to describe me that way. A good, vicious friend.

*can someone help me out with the end of that sentence?

• Love 3

I agree. I mean where did Kate start her career? Obviously she doesn't have much education if she calls the QE2 a "cruise ship."

It was actually Leon who referred to it as that and nowadays many people do because it was used for cruises as well as for ocean voyages which was the main distinction between cruise ships and ocean liners. I mean it was a luxury ship before it was retired and her disdain for working on cruise ships is ridiculous but Leon described it that way and he apparently worked on it so it's not a lack of education.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

The funny thing is that in the preview season episode they showed a clip of Don humping a wall, which hasn't appeared in an episode yet (although Emile did make reference to it after he pretended he was humping Eddie). Unless maybe it will appear in the Secrets Revealed/Bonus Clips episode. I think some things have been aired out of order. The wall humping probably happened earlier on and will be shown in the bonus clips but Emile talked about it in one of the episodes.

Last night I saw on Eddie's Twitter that the scene where Connie talks about her dad to Capt. Lee and Eddie (Eddie is drinking a beer while supposedly on charter) actually happened after the first charter was over, not during like they made it seem. So it seems some things have appeared out of order. But I remembered that clip we haven't seen yet and wondered if maybe it means he'll return, but probably more likely it will be shown in the bonus clips episode.

... a clip of Don humping a wall,... pretended he was humping Eddie. ...

So Don thinks that type of behavior is acceptable in the workplace, what a jack ass.

...(Eddie is drinking a beer while supposedly on charter)...

Excellent observation, just an example of how things are not what viewers are told they are.

That Don kid talked like he was hopped up on speedballs. I wonder if the cameras made him extra-nervous or something. I admire him for coming back well from a terrible accident, and I realize he maybe felt he was mislead about what his actual job on the boat and/versus on camera would be, but he should have had the maturity and good sense to suck it up and deal. He clearly has a problem with authority and chain of command that doesn't bode well for his future in the industry. His ideas might have been smart yet he didn't know how to present them to the right person rather than pushing for his own way even when given a direct order. He had no right to put down Emille, who was simply following orders. Maybe he's a really great engineer who got the fame bug and let it confuse him. 

• Love 1

It was actually Leon who referred to it as that and nowadays many people do because it was used for cruises as well as for ocean voyages which was the main distinction between cruise ships and ocean liners. I mean it was a luxury ship before it was retired and her disdain for working on cruise ships is ridiculous but Leon described it that way and he apparently worked on it so it's not a lack of education.

QE2, not called a cruise ship, an ocean liner.  If Kate knew better, she should have corrected him.  

QE2, not called a cruise ship, an ocean liner.  If Kate knew better, she should have corrected him.

Well now the QE 2 is sitting in Dubai waiting for someone to turn it into a luxury hotel but my point was that many people called it a cruise ship because it stopped doing transatlantic journeys and did cruises.. Also, if Kate corrected Leon on the matter on a ship he worked on people would call her a pedantic asshole.

• Love 2

So Don thinks that type of behavior is acceptable in the workplace, what a jack ass.

Excellent observation, just an example of how things are not what viewers are told they are.

Who can blame him though? I mean who here doesn't want to hump Eddie? ;)

It was actually noticed by a fan who tweeted him this:

241831y.png

Edited by BogoGog24

I can understand the Kate hate, but if you really really cannot stand a thing she says or does, how can you even watch this show? She is on most of the show. I think she's reality gold. Her talking heads are spit on. I agree she's a bitch, but she's good at what she does and I enjoy her.

Totally agree. I get a kick out of her- she's smart and funny, and her sense of humor is as dry as the Sahara.

Intimating that she's a bigot because she doesn't like Leon is a real stretch. How about he's just a humorless asshole? Apart from his food, he brings nothing to the show. I want Ben back!

• Love 14

Love Kate (although I realize I'm probably in the minority here).  She is the show because she's the proverbial Greek chorus.  DO NOT like Leon even a little bit and I wish he'd quit mispronouncing food names.  Connie getting drunk and putting her false teeth/dentures/plate into other people's drinks when she gets drunk made me physical ill when I heard it.  I also want Ben back!  He is the other dry witted person in the bunch.  Love me some Eddie too!

• Love 4