Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CletusMusashi

What Ad Experience Do You Prefer?

I think I'm old fashioned. I prefer the experience of shows just selling some ad time, using that time for ads, and then going back to the show. I will ignore those ads, because I will use commercial time to cook food or go to the bathroom or drunkenly swing a sword around the living room. They will get their money, and then my show will come back on afterwards, so everyone's happy.

Truth be told, if it's a series that was written with commercial breaks in mind, having the show broken up a little can actually enhance cliffhangers more than just streaming the whole thing on Netflix would. "Game of Thrones" isn't written with commercial breaks in mind, but "The Walking Dead" is.

So if it's not screwing up the flow of the story, and it gives me a built-in signal to go ahead and grab another beer without missing anything, them hey, great.

But what I do not want to do is answer questions about whether I want a few long breaks or a few more short ones, or which stupid commercial I "want" to see (do they really think I'm going to sit there and watch it?) or, better, yet, take an entire god damned survey for ten minutes, just for the privelidge of not having five minutes of commercials running in the background while I do things that, let's face it, people who skip through commercials usually end up pausing the show to do anyway.

Asking people which ad experience they prefer sounds, on the surface, like a really nice gesture. But I don't want to make that decision. My decision during the commercial break is whether I want instant brown rice or Ramen noodles with my can of tuna.. Now they want me to make their decisions too?

• Like 3

I think I'm old fashioned. I prefer the experience of shows just selling some ad time, using that time for ads, and then going back to the show. I will ignore those ads, because I will use commercial time to cook food or go to the bathroom or drunkenly swing a sword around the living room. They will get their money, and then my show will come back on afterwards, so everyone's happy.

I just noticed that Hulu is offering a commercial-free experience if I pay a few dollars more each month. But I'm with you -- I'm okay with having the commercial breaks.  I can take the dogs out, dry my hair, read an article, etc. during those minutes. I may change my mind, though, since Hulu often decides to freeze during commercials. 

I never choose an ad when Hulu asks what I prefer. I may not mind the ad breaks at the moment, but I don't want us to form some sort of partnership about it. Just play the stupid commercials and get on with it!

• Like 2

Isn't that why people buy DVRs, to skip the commercials altogether?

Time-shifting, mostly. I usually don't bother fast forwarding - I'd have to actually watch them to do that. I just hit mute and surf the web, looking up every 30 seconds or so; if I overshoot I can go backwards.

• Like 2

Back before DVRs, I used to posit, in all seriousness, that one reason commercials were necessary is that no one could watch the mind-numbing drivel that constituted network broadcast television programming without those interruptive moments of stimulation every five to ten minutes. Do a thought experiment. Try to imagine yourself sitting through some of that crap that passed for programming uninterrupted. We'd have become a nation of suicides.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 2

I'm a cord-cutter with a Mohu Leaf antenna (plus Hulu, Netflix Amazon Prime, and Overplay DNS), so I don't have a DVR. Among all of those options, I have my 'must-see' programs covered. I haven't signed up for the commercial-free Hulu yet (being a cheapskate, and I don't mind the short breaks), but I will say that the repetitive nature of their ads does get on my nerves. 

• Like 3