Type keyword(s) to search

2016 Awards Season

• Start Topic

The Casting Society of America's 31st annual Artios Awards nominations:

Final ballots are being distributed today for the 31st Artios Awards, and voting closes January 8. Winners will be announced January 21 during dual ceremonies at the Beverly Hilton and New York’s Hard Rock Cafe. Steve Jobs and Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle will receive the Career Achievement Award; The Good Wife‘s Michelle and Robert King will be given the New York Apple Award; and casting director Bernard Telsey (Into The Woods) will get the Hoyt Bowers Award.

Potential Spoilers:

Sylvester Stallone, Creed (his momentum seems to be increasing)

Kurt Russell, The Hateful Eight

Jacob Tremblay, Room (I doubt that a 9-year-old will get a nom, no matter how good he might be)

Christian Bale, The Big Short

Interesting about Christian.  He may have transformed himself more than Steve Carell but I thought Steve had the much bigger, showier part, and honestly, I really liked his work in it.  Christian seems like he's on the screen so little.

The PGA nominations are tomorrow.  Should provide a look at where the Picture field stands, in terms of the lower-tier films.  If Fury Road gets on that list, I'll feel secure in its nomination chances.

The PGA nominees:

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Ex Machina
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Sicario
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

The movies that seemed to be getting the most mention of being "snubbed" are Carol, Room and The Hateful Eight. I'm personally disappointed by Creed's lack of nomination, although I admit I didn't see many of the movies nominated. I would say it's a boost for Bridge of Spies, Straight Outta Compton and Sicario, although I'm sill not sold on the latter getting nominated for BP.

Also of note, are the Ace Eddie Awards, for editing, and the Art Directors Guild awards.

Edited by Slade347

The PGA noms are important. It's usually this list minus two or three at most for BP, sometimes AMPAS will add one or two that they missed.

So Carol or Room could still make it, but I'm not sure they will this time. I think it's this list minus Ex Machina and Sicario, and I honestly think Straight Outta Compton might sneak in there with the Academy's list too, the way Selma did last year. The PGA + SAG combo is pretty strong.

I've been a longtime skeptic on Straight Outta Compton's chances for a nomination, but it's looking more and more possible.  Conversely, unless it's a big surprise it feels like Creed's momentum never really got going; granted, the Academy's relationship to sequels is fraught and generally not all that receptive.

Brooklyn finally gets some good news, after a precursor season that has been pretty dispiriting for them outside of Ronan.

So much of Carol's discussion seemed to focus on the two leads (especially Mara's category placement) that I wonder if it blotted out its chances in the rest of the categories it may have had a shot including Best Picture/Director? It's been such a hard year to get any type of read on the major categories, so who knows for sure?

My guess on the 5 films getting DGA nominations:

The Big Short
The Martian
The Revenant
Spotlight

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can somebody tell me why Star Wars would not be in contention?  What I mean is... why is it not considered Best Picture material?  

I saw The Big Short... to me that's an okay movie.  I guess it was deliberately shot in a very unprofessional , uncinematic way.  I guess it's supposed to be a joke that is lost on me.  Very 'bare bones' filmmaking.  Just a bunch of cuts with narration over it.  Some acting was great, most of it was average.  Meanwhile, Star Wars blew me away.  Just my opinion.  I thought it would be the Titanic/Avatar/LOTR3 of the year.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I think Star Wars is considered Best Picture material, but hasn't been eligible for many of the earlier awards because they refused to release screeners and missed the voting periods. However, while I thought Star Wars was a well made movie, the nomination would most likely be due to hype and to up the broadcast ratings. The Academy tends to turn its nose at the blockbuster/action genre, with Lord of the Rings being a rare exception, which is unfortunate since I think Jennifer Lawrence put in a better performance as Katniss Everdeen than any of her David O Russell films.

• Love 1

Good point...  These have been nominated for Best Picture by the Academy:

toy story 3
lotr 3
lotr 2
godfather 3
godfather 2

apollo 13  (just kidding)

The first Star Wars and Indiana Jones were nominated, but no sequels there.

The Academy tends to turn its nose at the blockbuster/action genre,

I don't know if I agree on Blockbuster/Action not being recognized by the Academy. If you look at the nominees, there's usually at least one in there per year.  Also, space movies always make it, not sure if you include that in Blockbuster/action.  Like Gravity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture

A few examples:

Rocky

Raging Bull (??)

Jaws

Apocalypse Now

Star Wars 1977  - sci fi

Raiders of lost ark
e.t. - sci fi

fugitive

apollo 13 - sci fi

titanic
crouching tiger
lotr 1-2-3
avatar and district 9 (in the same year)   - sci fi, sci fi
inception - sci fi

gravity - sci fi

Lots and lots of comedies seem to sneak in there too.  I'm surprised by a lot of those nominees.  Maybe those films seemed like prestige films at the time, but a lot of light comedies have made their way into the pack, like Tootsie, Four Weddings & a Funeral and Moonstruck.  

Yeah, again I disagree.  Big budget space movies often get nominated.  I was actually shocked when Interstellar wasn't last year, thought it was a sure thing.  Gravity, Avatar, District 9, Inception are all sci-fi nominees in the past few years.  Tree of Life also had sci fi elements.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

AMPAS doesn't really care for sequels or sci-fi, overall. Avatar was "original" at least, technologically innovative, and the highest grossing movie ever, at the time. The seventh movie in a sci-fi merchandising bonanza has a much bigger uphill battle to climb to be viewed as worthy of the biggest prize.

Interesting stat- every movie that became the highest grossing movie in history at the time has always landed a BP nomination: Gone With the Wind (of course), The Sound of Music, Jaws, Star Wars, E.T., Titanic, Avatar.

But none are sequels. So this stat is about to be broken. Another stat getting wiped out is the one that for the first time in history, the #1 grossing movie of all time will be a sequel and not an original film. That to me is very depressing, because it indicates that original cultural phenomenons will probably now be a thing of the past, while branding, nostalgia, pre-awareness and advertizing is the future.

But anyway, the WGA nominations came out today:

Original Screenplay:

Bridge of Spies

Sicario

Straight Outta Compton

Trainwreck

Spotlight

Adapted Screenplay:

The Big Short

Carol

The Martian

Steve Jobs

Trumbo

This is weird one, because there a LOT of movies every year that aren't eligible for the WGA. This year, Brooklyn and Room weren't eligible in adapted, while Inside Out, The Hateful Eight, and Ex Machina weren't up for original. I'd say there's a good chance for several of these nominees to swapped for some of those at the Oscars. Trainwreck and Trumbo probably won't make it for sure.

But, with Straight Outta Compton now having secured SAG + PGA + WGA, it looks pretty set to me for a Best Picture nomination. The last movie that missed with all three of those was Bridesmaids, and I actually think this one being a biopic and not a raunchy comedy has more of the gravitas to get it in, especially with the whole membership voting.

Oh, and to add to the discussion of the Academy disliking genre/blockbuster films, I don't think that's really true, if you look at their history. If a movie is well-reviewed and a big success, there's always a chance it could make it as a nominee at least. I do think they have a bias towards comic book superhero stuff specifically, which is how The Dark Knight famously got 8 nominations but was still snubbed in Best Picture. At the end of the day, AMPAS voters just can't take people who dress up in superhero costumes seriously, that's where their bias lies. But they do seem to like sci-fi.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 1

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can somebody tell me why Star Wars would not be in contention?  What I mean is... why is it not considered Best Picture material?  

I would say it has two main things going against it:

1) The perception (true or not) among some that it's too much of a retread of A New Hope/ relies too much on nostalgia for success, with not enough original elements to stand on it's own.

2) The fact that there are already two major sci-fi/action films in contention in Mad Max: Fury Road and The Martian, plus another possible contender in Ex Machina. There are probably a limited number of voters willing to vote for genre films like this to begin with, and this year might just feature too many options for Star Wars to get in. (Personally, I'd put The Force Awakens about on par, or perhaps slightly ahead of, The Martian, with Mad Max well out in front of both of them. I haven't seen Ex Machina yet.)

That being said, I wouldn't say a Best Picture nomination is completely out of the question. The Academy votes later than everyone else, so they'll have had the most time to have seen the movie and possibly get swept up in the hype. We'll see I guess.

• Love 1

Actually, they're voting right now. Voting started on the 28th and ends this Friday. So we'll see. The PGA is a pretty good indicator of where they're at, but there could be one or two surprises.

By the way, it just occured to me that Mad Max is also a sequel, so I guess that one is going to be the rare exception to the sequel rule this year. That is if AMPAS doesn't pull a Dark Knight with it and nominate it everywhere except Picture, which is possible, however locked that movie appears to be. You never know with these guys sometimes (and imo, Mad Max is actually the least Oscar-y movie in contention this year, so I've been skeptical about its chances for a while).

Edited by Ruby25

By the way, it just occured to me that Mad Max is also a sequel, so I guess that one is going to be the rare exception to the sequel rule this year. That is if AMPAS doesn't pull a Dark Knight with it and nominate it everywhere except Picture, which is possible, however locked that movie appears to be. You never know with these guys sometimes (and imo, Mad Max is actually the least Oscar-y movie in contention this year, so I've been skeptical about its chances for a while).

Yeah, this has been my concern for awhile. I try to take comfort in the fact that The Dark Knight would almost certainly have been nominated in an expanded Best Picture lineup, but...

The funny thing is, when the annual circus started I was totally prepared for it to be overlooked, since it's such an un-Oscary movie. But then it went and showed up everywhere and got my hopes up, so I'll be disappointed after all if it (or Miller, who's Director nomination I might want more than a Picture one) gets snubbed.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1

Yeah, it's not a flat 10. The voters actually only pick 5, and then they tabulate between 5 and 10, depending on how many movies got a certain percentage of #1 votes.

It's a weird system. in 2009 and 2010 they voted for a flat ten nominees, which meant voters actually did pick out ten movies each, but a lot of them complained that it was too many, so they revised it back, allowing them to just fill out five again. Which is so lame. I mean, if you don't see enough movies to be able to pick 10 nominees every year you probably shouldn't be a voter, right?

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 1

I prefer it the 'new' way.  I agree that voters should see everything or as much as possible but if you HAVE to pick 10 I think you're bound to pick a few that you don't love.  

I mean how many movies per year would you nominate for BP?  For me a perfect or near perfect movie is very rare, no more than 5 a year.

I think the way that they do it forces the best (of the voted movies) to rise to the top.  Or at least I hope it does.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Mad Max and George Miller miss their first notable nominations, albeit in the former case in a field of only five nominees. It still managed seven nominations, fourth overall.

Two nominations for Alicia Vikander again. I'll be really interested to see how this all plays out with the Academy.

Hey, Julie Walters got a supporting nomination. She's a scream in Brooklyn.

Mark Ruffalo gets into supporting, which, if I'm not mistaken, is the first major supporting nomination for one of the Spotlight gentlemen.

The best news of the day has to be for Carol, which bounces back from the PGA snub to co-lead the nomination count here, including mentions in Picture and Director.

The Mad Max Director snub worries me more than the Picture one, actually, especially since they actually did have a lone director nomination, for Ridley Scott.

Charlotte Rampling not getting in here isn't a great sign for her, is it? She could be another Marion Cotillard though, a passion pick who benefits from the Academy's preferential ballot.

Neither is Spotlight missing director. This could be another case of what we've seen a few times now, where being the early favourite ends up being the worst thing that could happen to it. And it's looking more and more like if anything is going to knock it off it'll be The Big Short, which I haven't seen but I admit I'm a little biased against, just because the trailer made it look like the dudebro-iest movie ever made.

Interesting that the split the difference on the two big "category fraud" controversies this year, bumping Alicia Vikander up to leading, but keeping Rooney Mara in supporting. I wonder if Vikander didn't have Ex Machina too if they would have just left her in supporting?

Also, having now watched Ex Machina I'll say that: 1) it's nice to see such a small movie get a (deserved) mention among the blockbuster-dominated special effects field, and 2) I wish the movie's recent run of support could have included Oscar Isaac, who I thought was at least as good if not even better than Vikander.

Actually, thinking about it, Isaac's current status reminds me of Michael Fassbender circa 2011 or so: started out as a critics/highbrow darling, slowly but surely gained more widespread recognition, and is now breaking into the mainstream via a big franchise role. He even appears to be right in the midst of his "Internet Boyfriend" stage. It feels like it's just a matter of time before he gets an Oscar nomination.

Edited by AshleyN

One thing I find notable about this Oscar season is the comparative lack of films with near-certain holds at multiple acting nominations.  Look at the main BP contenders:

Carol - Blanchett and Mara both seem likely, though the latter could fall victim to category confusion.

Spotlight - this initially looked like it was poised to be the one to beat in the acting categories with three noms, but now people are largely thinking of two at most, and maybe only one (or none, based on some awards bodies).

The Martian - only Damon.

Room - Larson for sure; Tremblay remains a longshot.

The Revenant - only DiCaprio (some have talked of a surprise Hardy nomination).

Mad Max: Fury Road - none.

The Big Short - one, if any.

Bridge of Spies - only Rylance.

Brooklyn - unless BAFTA is picking up on something nobody else did, only Ronan.

Straight Outta Compton - none.

Creed - one seems like the most that's likely.

Steve Jobs - two possible, though I think this movie is a candidate to get totally forgotten.

The Danish Girl - two possible.

I'm officially worried about Mad Max now, given what just happened with the Baftas. Now I just read in Business Insider that some Academy voters are blabbing about how much they hated the movie.

But I'm telling you, this doesn't surprise me at all, given what we know about the Academy and have for years. I was never confident that this movie would appeal to those voters, no matter how hard the critics tried to force it down their throats. I continue to hope it will show up in Best Picture and Director (I think Miller has a better chance than the film), but If it ends up getting The Dark Knight treatment I will not be surprised.

Also, it looks to me like Room is probably out now, whereas there may be enough British support to salvage Carol in Best Picture, at least for the nomination.

The Oscars have up to five more slots than do the BAFTAs, so it missing Picture there isn't by any means the whole tale by any means.  Miller, we'll get a better sense of where things stand when the DGA nominations come out on the 12th.

Golden Globe Winners:

Best picture, drama: The Revenant

Best picture, comedy or musical: The Martian

Actress, drama: Brie Larson, Room

Actor, drama: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant

Actress, musical or comedy: Jennifer Lawrence, Joy

Actor, musical or comedy: Matt Damon, The Martian

Supporting actress: Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Supporting actor: Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu, The Revenant

Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin, Steve Jobs

Animated film: Inside Out

Foreign language film: Son of Saul, Hungary

Original score: Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight

Original song: “Writing’s on the Wall,” Spectre

• Love 1

Post-HFPA thoughts:

- The effect of The Martian's wins are a bit hard for me to gauge, since everybody (including the director in his acceptance speech) thought its categorization was silly.  Nonetheless, I expect major nominations, which it was already on track for.

- The Revenant sure got boosted in a big way, which, seeing as it was just in wide release this weekend, is uncannily ideal timing.  Could help at the box office going forward.

- Related to the above, more and more I think this is going to be Leo's year.  Nobody else in the field is anywhere close to him, and his film keeps gathering steam.  And he gave a very good speech, capped with a dose of liberal political sentiment (for the record, he's a longtime environmentalist, so I don't think he's insincere, but you prepare speeches for maximum effect; nothing wrong with that).

- People have largely been viewing the Actress race as Larson v. Ronan, with Larson given the presumptive edge, and this certainly plays into that narrative (if any awards group could be thought of as especially Ronan-friendly, it would surely be the Foreign Press).  She gave a very nice speech, too, which will play well.  Lawrence's win will help keep her in the conversation, which she was slipping out of a bit.

- Steve Jobs got two major awards at a time when a lot of us were speculating it would fall out of the conversation entirely.  I never got the chance to see it since its bombing meant it never came here, so I can't offer much in the way of an opinion on it.  No idea how much this augurs for supporting actress, which feels fairly open now.

- Supporting Actor is still scattered as hell.  Stallone isn't up for any other notable precursors, so this was his only time onstage in the runup to the Oscars, and he gave a pretty good speech, though he forgot to thank Coogler (and then went onstage during the commercial break), which will surely generate a boomlet of thinkpieces.

- If one of the notable contenders was a loser here, I'd say it was The Big Short, which has been gaining steam of late.  A lot of people thought it would take Best Comedy and perhaps even Comedy Actor, which would have solidified its ascendancy.

Edited by SeanC

The voting for nominations ended on Friday so the effect these have on the Oscars should be limited. I don't think it will have any effect on the Best Picture race, although both winners tonight will be in that lineup for the Oscars. I do think people may be underestimating the chances of The Martian to take the top prize, even if it didn't get a Cast nod at the SAGs. Spotlight would seem to remain a pretty weak favorite. As for the acting awards, Leo seems damn near a sure thing at this point, Larson is probably a slight favorite over Ronan, but that could still go either way. If someone forced me to pick a Supporting Actor favorite it would be Rylance, but he's a weak favorite at best. I will say this. If Stallone can pull off the nomination he'll become the favorite for me. Supporting Actress is even more up in the air, so much to the point that I actually think Winslet has as good a chance of not being nominated as she does of winning. 

Yeah, this is the most up in the air awards season I can remember and those rules we all like to follow when predicting who will get nominated and who will win? I don't think half of them will apply this year.

I wasn't thinking of the nominations, which are locked in, but the narrative for those who do get nominated (there's a good number of nominations that can be reasonably assumed to happen at this point).

Amy Adams won the Musical/Comedy Globe for Big Eyes and missed out on the Oscar nomination (yes, the HPFA considered Big Eyes a comedy just last year, yet it's The Martian that was a bridge too far for people? Okay then). I think Jennifer Lawrence will make the cut with AMPAS though a snub wouldn't stun me either.

DGA Nominees:

ALEJANDRO G. IÑÁRRITU

The Revenant

TOM MCCARTHY

Spotlight

ADAM MCKAY

The Big Short

GEORGE MILLER

RIDLEY SCOTT

The Martian

MILLER!!! Yay!!

Spotlight really needed this after the BAFTA snub and Globes shutout. It still feels like the weakest frontrunner I can remember though. Even Boyhood and The Social Network won at the Globes.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being the final lineup, though I still think that Todd Haynes has a chance to replace one of them at the Oscars, which can sometimes go for a smaller, "artier" choice (a la Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild over Ben Affleck for Argo).

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1

Visual Effects Society Awards:

There’s little surprise that Star Wars: The Force Awakens leads the list of feature film nominations, but the fact that The Peanuts Movie is the top animated nominee was a bit unexpected. On the television landscape, HBO’s Game of Thrones looks to be poised for a big night of wins....

In addition to the long list of awards categories, the Lifetime Achievement Award will be also presented to award-winning director-producer Sir Ridley Scott.

Costume Designers Guild Awards,

Movie categories:

Excellence in Contemporary Film

Beasts of No Nation – Jenny Eagan

Joy – Michael Wilkinson

Kingsman: The Secret Service – Arianne Phillips

The Martian – Janty Yates

Youth – Carlo Poggioli

Excellence in Period Film

Brooklyn – Odile Dicks-Mireaux

Carol – Sandy Powell

Crimson Peak – Kate Hawley

The Danish Girl – Paco Delgado

Trumbo – Daniel Orlandi

Excellence in Fantasy Film

Cinderella – Sandy Powell

Ex Machina – Sammy Sheldon Differ

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 – Kurt and Bart

Mad Max: Fury Road – Jenny Beavan

Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Michael Kaplan

The winners of the seven competitive awards will be revealed at the black-tie gala on Tuesday, February 23rd at the Beverly Hilton Hotel

• Love 1

My best friend's son is nominated for one!

CHILDREN AND TEEN PROGRAMMING – BEST HAIR STYLING

GAME SHAKERS
Hair Stylists: Joe Matke, Roma Goddard

GAMERS GUIDE TO MASTERING JUNIOR HIGH
Hair Stylists: Jeanette (Jani) Kleinbard, Stephanie Lierman

GORTIMER GIBBON’S LIFE ON NORMAL STREET
Hair Stylist: Josie Peng

HENRY DANGER
Hair Stylists: Joe Matke, Roma Goddard
  • Love 7

Don't care if it likely won't win, Mad Max (and George Miller) getting nominated is great to hear!

Initial reactions.  Happy that Rachel McAdams got in for Spotlight.  Not surprised Mark Ruffalo did too, but I preferred Michael Keaton. I see Tom Hardy got in for The Revenant, so the Supporting Actor category should be interesting.

Notable omissions: no Best Picture nods for Straight Out of Compton or Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Bummed that neither Creed or Sicario gained any ground, outside of Sly's nomination and a few sound awards.

Song category seems to just consist of a bunch from films I never heard of, and then Fifty Shades of Grey and Spectre.  Only way I will ever get interested this year is if The Doof Warrior from Mad Max performances them all at the ceremony.

I'm guessing that at the moment, it is likely The Revenant vs. Spotlight for the big awards, but that could change.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

So not only do we get #Oscarssowhite: The Sequel, they also snub the lesbian romance that happens to be the best reviewed movie of the year in Best Picture and Director. I swear, sometimes it's hard not to wonder if they're trying to appear out of touch.

Super happy about the Mad Max love though, especially Miller.

The surprise Director nomination for Room probably seals Brie Larson's Best Actress win, doesn't it? I'm a little surprised Jacob Trembley didn't make it in, given the obvious love for the movie.

And Best Picture appears to be between The Big Short, The Revenant, and Spotlight, no? Are they really going to give Inarritu back to back Oscars?

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1

I was increasingly worried about Elba's chances both because it was a Netflix production and because he was the only part of his film seriously in contention, which is increasingly tough when going for top nominations (I think only Rampling managed it this year).

I was surprised that Steve Jobs couldn't get a screenplay nomination but got into Best Actor. The latter feels weirdly uncompetitive this year.

Spotlight looks like it has a clean shot at Original Screenplay now.

Woo, Mad Max! So shiny, so chrome!

On the whole, pretty solid nominations.

• Love 1

It might have taken to the morning of the Oscar nominations, but I think we finally might have favorites in all of the acting categories (Leo, Larson, Sly & Vikander), although Leo is probably the only heavy one.

With two actors getting nominated and editing nomination, Spotlight comes out of this morning looking in pretty good shape.

The biggest surprise snub is Ridley Scott. Otherwise, I don't think there's too many big surprises, Carol not getting in to Picture/Director will no doubt get some mention, but it had been trending that way.

Mad Max: Fury Road did about as well as expected right down to missing out on Actress/Screenplay. 

Still, the story of the morning is the showing by The Revenant.  I knew it would probably end up with 7-8 nominations, but 12? I didn't see that one coming at all.

Edited by Slade347

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't care for Fury Road at all.  Most overhyped movie ever in my view.  Star Wars: Force Awakens was infinitely more enjoyable.

Very happy for both Mark Ruffalo and Rachel McAdams.  I wasn't really expecting either.  I would love Ruffalo to win, but my gut is that it will probably be Stallone.

It might have taken to the morning of the Oscar nominations, but I think we finally might have favorites in all of the acting categories (Leo, Larson, Sly & Vikander),

Rooney Mara might be a favorite for supporting actress as well.  I can see them giving Carol a consolation prize.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't care for Fury Road at all.  Most overhyped movie ever in my view.

My husband, son and daughter, as well as a friend of mine, absolutely hated it.  They are flabbergasted at the attention it's receiving and agree only with the technical nominations.  I didn't want to see it because it's not my kind of movie.  I also have no interest in The Revenant.  Actually, most of the nominated movies are ones that don't really interest me, but I'm happy for a few (The Big Short, Steve Jobs, Spotlight, The Martian).  As much as I love Mark Ruffalo and enjoyed Christian Bale's role in TBS, I'm pulling hard for Stallone to win this year.

• Love 1

Rooney Mara might be a favorite for supporting actress as well. I can see them giving Carol a consolation prize.

She and Vikander are really leads, so they have screen time advantages over others in that category. There's also Winslet to consider, but there's clearly not much enthusiasm for her film beyond her and Fassbender (his first nomination, incidentally; he and Alicia both get in at the same time). I think there's more enthusiasm for Mara's film than Vikander's (it has more nominations, and more major ones), though Vikander is in two notable nominated films, so the impact of that is hard to measure.