Type keyword(s) to search

2016 Awards Season

• Start Topic

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Sly Stallone win for Creed. He was great and I know he may be a long shot for even a nomination, but I'd be thrilled to see it happen, and frankly, he deserves it. He was awesome.

I actually don't think Stallone is a stretch for Creed. He was fantastic and deserves at least a nomination. Supporting is not really clear right now. I could see Stallone, Ruffalo, and Hardy at least getting nominated.

I think it could definitely get into the conversation for other nominations.  It looks like it's going to make a decent chunk of money, and the critical reception is rapturous.  Screenplay would be the other obvious place to start, though it would be competing in Adapted, which is almost always a tough row to hoe.

At a glance, other notables in Adapted this year would be Carol, Room, Brooklyn, The Revenant, The Martian, The Danish Girl (critical reception lukewarm, but the Academy generally likes Hooper more than the critics do), and Steve Jobs (strong critical reception, but its weak box office performance seems to have derailed its momentum for the moment).

Purely from a strategy perspective, while the Academy has correctly been noted as a heavily white voting membership, it does have a sizeable number of non-white voters, and more white voters who will want to see non-white nominees (particularly after last year, I expect), so Creed could do well if it makes a strong appeal to that group (along with the demographic that like boxing movies; if you look at the record over the years, boxing is far and away the Academy's favourite sport).  There aren't any other notable POC-lead movies likely to appeal to the Academy (some people were talking about Straight Outta Compton being a contender earlier this year, but I can't for the life of me see that happening).

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

I want Mark Ruffalo for Best Supporting Actor for Spotlight.  He's actually the lead in that film, and he's terrific.  If they can talk about Rachel McAdams, they can't leave off Ruffalo.

I generally love Mark Ruffalo, and I suspect that if only one of the Spotlight actors gets nominated it will be him, but I think I actually preferred Michael Keaton's performance. It was more subdued, but really effective IMO.

The whole cast was terrific though, including Stanley Tucci and Liev Schreiber who really stood out in slightly smaller roles than Keaton and Ruffalo. I have to think it's the heavy favourite to take the SAG ensemble award, right?

• Love 2

You're so right about that- and I've been thinking about this lately, and frankly, with so many expecting The Martian to get a ton of nominations and even contend for the WIN in Best Picture, I really see no reason why Creed couldn't get at least a nomination in that case. Especially with a lot of love for the film. I think the studio needs to get behind an awards campaign for it and fast, because WB seemed to think this was not an Oscar movie at all, but with rave reviews, good box office, and a genuinely promising director, there's no reason it couldn't contend for a BP nomination now. The association with a franchise would seem to hinder it slightly, but again, I don't think that has to be the case since the movie turned out so well and if anything, maybe redeems the franchise to what it was with the first film- which of course got 10 Oscar nominations and won Best Picture. It feels a bit poetic in a way, to bring the whole thing full circle.

In Best Actress, I think it's between Brie Larson and Saoirse Ronan. Having seen both movies now, my instinct tells me that Larson has the more harrowing role, but I really thought that the kid kind of overshadowed her in Room, and if anything, she may actually be more of a supporting performance (although she was great, of course). But Brooklyn is Ronan's movie from start to finish- I'm not sure there's a single scene she's not in, and boy is she wonderful and loveable in it. I know she's extremely young, but the movie is such a sweet, nostalgic, emotional look back at a time that older viewers in the Academy would love to idealize and remember, that I really think she has a great shot, especially if Brooklyn comes in strong with a lot of nominations, which I think it will. And the fact that it's doing well at the box office, has Fox Searchlight strongly behind it and will certainly make more money than Room.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 1

I'm starting to feel that Star Wars probably is being underestimated.  The latest Entertainment Weekly has a article comparing it to Titanic, and how that film ruled over the '97 Oscars basically because it was such a huge part of the culture.  We'll see.  If The Martian is actually a contender to win, I think  Star Wars certainly can't be left out of the conversation. 

• Love 2

Annie Awards nominations.

Also,

Two Disney-Pixar films and an adult stop motion animated comedy and drama were some of the top features nominated at the 43rd Annie Awards. And even though Pixar has The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out in the running, it’s the latter title about the emotions in an adolescent girl’s head that’s charging the way with 14 nominations. Overlooked in the best feature category was Universal/Illumination Entertainment’s Minions, the second highest grossing animated title of the year at $335.8M behind Inside Out‘s $356.4M. Nontheless, Minions counts the third most noms at eight after The Good Dinosaur‘s nine.
This year’s best animated feature nominations include: Anomalisa (Paramount Pictures), Inside Out (Pixar Animation Studios), Shaun the Sheep The Movie (Aardman Animations), The Good Dinosaur (Pixar Animation Studios), and The Peanuts Movie (Blue Sky Studios, Twentieth Century Fox Animation).

There’s an inaugural best animated feature indie category and the noms in that slot include Boy And the World (Filme de Papel), Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet (Ventanarosa), The Boy and The Beast (Studio Chizu), and When Marnie Was There (Studio Ghibli).

Tomorrow the National Board of Review fires the starter gun for the awards season gauntlet, followed by the New York Film Critics Circle the following day.

And they chose Mad Max as Best Picture! Which is awesome, but how do you give Fury Road picture and not give George Miller director? I know those two awards don't always go hand in hand, but in this case I find it pretty hard to separate the two. If anything, I would have expected their picture/director choices to be reversed.

Also:

Best Film:  Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Director:  Ridley Scott – The Martian

Best Actor:  Matt Damon – The Martian

Best Actress: Brie Larson – Room

Best Supporting Actor:  Sylvester Stallone – Creed

Best Supporting Actress:  Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight

Best Original Screenplay:  Quentin Tarantino – The Hateful Eight

Best Adapted Screenplay:  Drew Goddard – The Martian

Best Animated Feature:  Inside Out

Breakthrough Performance:  Abraham Attah – Beasts of No Nation & Jacob Tremblay – Room

Best Directorial Debut:  Jonas Carpignano – Mediterranea

Best Foreign Language Film:  Son of Saul

Best Documentary:  Amy

William K. Everson Film History Award:  Cecilia De Mille Presley

Best Ensemble: The Big Short

Spotlight Award: Sicario for Outstanding Collaborative Vision

NBR Freedom of Expression Award:  Beasts of No Nation & Mustang

The rest of their top ten, as well as the foreign/independent/documentary winners are here.

Edited by AshleyN

I will be ridiculously happy if Mad Max ends up in all the year end awards talk and gets a Nom for Picture, Director, and still hoping Charlize get's an actress nom, as MM:FR and Sicario are my favorite movies of the year, at least that I've seen.

It's so funny listening to the praise for Mad Max because my husband and kids hated it.  Absolutely hated it and thought that if it deserved any praise at all, it was for Charlize Theron, but wouldn't go quite so far as nominating her for any awards. 

I'm happy for Stallone, The Martian and  Inside Out. I wish Spotlight had won something.

I'm starting to feel that Star Wars probably is being underestimated.  The latest Entertainment Weekly has a article comparing it to Titanic, and how that film ruled over the '97 Oscars basically because it was such a huge part of the culture.  We'll see.  If The Martian is actually a contender to win, I think  Star Wars certainly can't be left out of the conversation. 

Ehh, they nominated the first one but ignored The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.  Granted, that's the same situation as Creed vis a vis the Rocky series, but the latter is a much more Academy-friendly genre, and there are other blockbusters this year with more in the way of prestige.

I was shocked by Mad Max winning.  I'm glad that it may get into the conversation, at least.  A directing nomination for George Miller is one of the things I'd most like to see.

Looks like the Stallone train is definitely leaving the station.  That's my favourite supporting male performance to date; I just hope that this isn't one of those situations where a single aspect of the movie becomes the early focal point of all awards attention, because there are other parts of Creed (including the film overall) that I hope get nominations.

Edited by SeanC

It's so funny listening to the praise for Mad Max because my husband and kids hated it.  Absolutely hated it and thought that if it deserved any praise at all, it was for Charlize Theron, but wouldn't go quite so far as nominating her for any awards. 

I'm happy for Stallone, The Martian and  Inside Out. I wish Spotlight had won something.

Spotlight was the big winner at the Gotham awards last night, winning Best Picture, Screenplay, Director, and a special award for the ensemble cast. Hopefully a good sign! 

• Love 1

Spotlight was the big winner at the Gotham awards last night, winning Best Picture, Screenplay, Director, and a special award for the ensemble cast. Hopefully a good sign!

Glad to hear it!

Looks like the Stallone train is definitely leaving the station.  That's my favourite supporting male performance to date; I just hope that this isn't one of those situations where a single aspect of the movie becomes the early focal point of all awards attention, because there are other parts of Creed (including the film overall) that I hope get nominations.

Agreed!

My kids just got home and I told them about Mad Max and they both groaned and rolled their eyes  :)  When I asked if there was anything award worthy about it, they both said "It's a beautifully shot film, so probably some technical awards." 

Edited by Shannon L.

Really thrilled for Mad Max there. Still my favourite movie of the year, really.

Macbeth is going to come out soon, maybe Michael Fassbender is still going to get that Oscar nom. And maybe Marion Cotillard too. 

I've heard from a few people who've seen it that it was rather disappointing, confirming a couple of worries I had after the seeing the trailer, but I think it was more due to the directing than the actual acting (although the performances were obviously influenced by said directing). But yeah, could still happen!

So, the New York Film Critics REALLY loved Carol. It won Picture, Director, Screenplay, and Cinematography. But not actress, which is kind of interesting. I wonder if they were split on which of Blanchett and Mara they liked better?

Best Picture: Carol
Best Actor: Michael Keaton, Spotlight
Best Actress: Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Best Director: Todd Haynes, Carol
Best Screenplay: Carol
Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Best Supporting Actress: Kristen Stewart, Clouds of Sils Maria
Best Animated Film: Inside Out
Best Cinematography: Edward Lachman, Carol
Best First Film: Son of Saul
Best Foreign Film: Timbuktu
Best Nonfiction Film: In Jackson Heights
Special Award: Posthumous award honoring the legacy of William Becker and Janus Films
Special Award: Ennio Morricone, composer

I confess, while I quite liked Bridge of Spies, I don't quite get all the love for Rylance's work in that.  He's good, don't get me wrong, but there's really not that much to the part.

I'm not going to lie, Kristen Stewart's win surprised me. All the buzz online is usually Oscar focused and Clouds of Sils Maria seemed to be forgotten by the people doing the predictions. However, Hollywood loves a comeback story. . .

Every year, the NBR, NYFCC, the LA critics and other groups pick one or two winners who won't factor in the larger race. Clouds of Sils Maria played the 2014 film festivals, was shown in French theaters last year and Kristen won the Cesar. Yet in America, it got thrown out in April, quickly coming and going well. KStew is an interesting case, where critics seem to rave about her outside of the Twilight franchise, praising her naturalistic style, while the general public might be slightly more skeptical, seeing her performances more as slouchy minimalism, not so much acting at all, and the same thing as she always does. I don't know if her acting style will "age" well, so if she's going to get an Academy Award nomination, it's probably going to happen within the next 4-5 years. Last year, if Still Alice had been handled by Weinstein, maybe, Kristen could have gotten a coattail Supporting Actress nod.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

Entertainment Weekly's preliminary Best Supporting Actor choices:

Sure Things:

Michael Keaton, Spotlight

Tom Hardy, The Revenant

Serious Threats:

Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight (my choice over Keaton in this film)

Benicio Del Toro, Sicario

Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation

Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies (I would love this)

Potential Spoilers:

Sylvester Stallone, Creed (his momentum seems to be increasing)

Kurt Russell, The Hateful Eight

Jacob Tremblay, Room (I doubt that a 9-year-old will get a nom, no matter how good he might be)

Christian Bale, The Big Short

• Love 1

Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation

My main reservation about his chances is that Netflix has yet to show it can really compete at the Oscars.  The Square got a documentary nomination, but that's a sideshow with its own specialized rules, etc.  Now, the Emmys have gone all-in with internet releases, so maybe the Oscars will follow suit.

I think Jacob Tremblay has a decent shot at a nomination despite his age.  Quvenzhané Wallis was nominated for best actress at that age and became the youngest best actress nominee.

It's much tougher for boys to get a nomination than girls.  There's only been one in the last 25 years (Haley Joel Osment for The Sixth Sense), whereas Quvenzhané Wallis, Hailee Steinfeld, Saoirse Ronan, Abigail Breslin, Keisha Castle-Hughes, and Anna Paquin were all nominees in the same period.  The male acting awards, in general, skew older than the female ones (e.g., a young male equivalent to Jennifer Lawrence would struggle to get nominated, let alone win, no matter how good they were).

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 2

It's much tougher for boys to get a nomination than girls.  There's only been one in the last 25 years (Haley Joel Osment for The Sixth Sense), whereas Quvenzhané Wallis, Hailee Steinfeld, Saoirse Ronan, Abigail Breslin, Keisha Castle-Hughes, and Anna Paquin were all nominees in the same period.  The male acting awards, in general, skew older than the female ones (e.g., a young male equivalent to Jennifer Lawrence would struggle to get nominated, let alone win, no matter how good they were).

It's the trade off in that industry because women are seen as having a best before date stamped on them.

Eddie Redmayne?

Eddie Redmayne won Best Actor at 33, while Jennifer Lawrence was 22 at the time of her win. Only two actors younger than that have been nominated for Best Actor, ever, the youngest before the Academy had invented the Best Supporting Actor category. Wikipedia has a whole page of oldest and youngest Oscar nominees/winners. Here are the youngest ten Best Actor nods (age at the time of nomination*):

1.  9 years, 20 days | Jackie Cooper | Skippy  1930/31

2. 19 years, 142 days | Mickey Rooney | Babes in Arms  1939  

3. 23 years, 137 days | Mickey Rooney | The Human Comedy  1943 

4. 24 years, 3 days | John Travolta | Saturday Night Fever  1977 

5. 25 years, 10 days | James Dean | East of Eden  1955 

6. 26 years, 10 days | James Dean | Giant  1956 

7. 26 years, 72 days | Ryan Gosling | Half Nelson  2006 

8. 26 years, 279 days | Orson Welles | Citizen Kane  1941 

9. 26 years, 302 days | Heath Ledger | Brokeback Mountain  2005 

10.  27 years, 112 days | Jesse Eisenberg | The Social Network  2010 

*except for James Dean, technically, since his nominations were posthumous, as he died at 24

Meanwhile, the ten youngest Best Actress winners range from 21 to 26, at the time of the win. The youngest Best Actress nominee ever was nine, and the tenth youngest, 22.

The supporting categories are more generous to younger stars, but even in the "lesser" category, younger actors still have a harder time than their female counterparts: the ten youngest Best Supporting Actor nominees were from age 8-22, some for performances that many consider leading but were downgraded to avoid the likelihood of a Best Actor snub (Timothy Hutton, Haley Joel Osment). The ten youngest Best Supporting Actress nominees? All from 10 to 14.

AMPAS is primarily made up of older men who probably "relate" more to older actors who've "paid their dues", while the young, handsome guy might have to wait his turn, until middle age or beyond. Another thing is that Hollywood now seems more eager than ever to make up-and-coming male stars play teenagers or college students until 30, often in a franchise, which doesn't lend itself to winning Oscars.

This year, Best Actress will probably go to someone in her twenties, but the past ten years have seen several winners over 40: Helen Mirren, Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Julianne Moore. The year Cate won for Blue Jasmine, the other nominees were Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep, Judi Dench and Amy Adams being the youngest at 39.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

It's the trade off in that industry because women are seen as having a best before date stamped on them.

That and lead roles for women tend to skew younger, so that skews the pool Oscar draws on.

On the whole, I much prefer the female acting categories in this regard.  Older women can still get nominated and win (when the films get made to begin with), but when you get an exciting young talent it's actually conceivable that they'll be recognized, whereas with male talent that isn't true.  If the lead in Life of Pi had been a woman the same age as Suraj Sharma, that actress would have been at least a strong contender for a nomination, but Sharma was never part of the serious discussion in the Best Actor category.

Edited by SeanC

That and lead roles for women tend to skew younger, so that skews the pool Oscar draws on.

Not to mention even when the roles are older, they still get cast with younger women. See also every Jennifer Lawrence Oscarbait role ever (except Winter's Bone, the one she actually should have won for).

• Love 1

Having seen Spotlight, I think there are three probable acting nominees there (the three famous actors on the team), though I'm not sure there are any probable winners.  However, I'd be quite surprised if it doesn't win Original Screenplay (which is where they're submitting); not just because it has a great screenplay, but it's the sort of movie that will be tagged as "writerly", so the screenplay will be one of the first places Oscar voters think to vote for it.

Eddie Redmayne is a good actor and he certainly was 10 years ago too, but at 23 no one was giving him Oscars.

I feel like Eddie seems to feel like a 23-year old rather than a guy in his 30's. Good on him. (The same is true of David Franco to a greater extent)

I think Stallone has a good chance of being this year's "aging male star who suddenly did great work this year and reminded people why they liked him" nomination, like Keaton last year and Deniro back in 2012-2013. It was honestly a really good role.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Boston Online Film Critics Awards:

Picture:  Mad Max: Fury Road

Director:  George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road)

Actor:  Michael B. Jordan (Creed)

Actress:  Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn)

Supporting Actor:  Sylvester Stallone (Creed)

Supporting Actress:  Kristen Stewart (Clouds of Sils Maria)

Screenplay:  Spotlight

Foreign Language Film:  Son of Saul

Documentary:  Amy

Animated Film:  Inside Out

Cinematography:  Mad Max: Fury Road

Editing:  Mad Max: Fury Road

Original Score:  Mad Max: Fury Road

Ensemble:  Spotlight

Interesting to see that Joy has been rated PG-13. Granted, it's not impossible for PG-13 films to get nominations, but Joy seems like the kind of a film that needs the edge of an R-rating to make it a contender (unlike a film like Brooklyn which has the "period piece" pedigree.) I'm also wondering if it came out too late to make the critic's lists, or if it's just unremarkable enough to break DOR's award bait charm.

I haven't a clue about how the pg13 rating will affect the awards but it will probably make way more money over Christmas then it would with an R. I'm way more likely to take my mom to see this female led pg13 film then a lot of the other movies. In fact it will probably be between that and Brooklyn if we go out Christmas to the movies if I'm only thinking of themes and content. And I'm not much of a DOR fan,but he gets pretty great casts.

Speaking of Boston, the Boston Society of Film Critics:

Picture:  Spotlight (runner-up:  Mad Max: Fury Road)

Director:  Todd Haynes (Carol) (runner-up:  Thomas McCarthy, Spotlight)

Actor:  Paul Dano (Love & Mercy) & Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant)

Actress:  Charlotte Rampling (45 Years) (runner-up:  Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn)

Supporting Actor:  Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies) (runner-up:  Sylvester Stallone, Creed)

Supporting Actress:  Kristen Stewart (Clouds of Sils Maria) (runner-up:  Alicia Vikander, no film specified)

Cinematography:  Carol (runner-up:  The Revenant)

Editing:  Mad Max: Fury Road (runner-up:  Spotlight)

Original Score:  Love & Mercy (runner-up:  Creed)

Ensemble Cast:  Spotlight (runner-up:  The Big Short)

Animated Film:  Anomalisa & Inside Out

Foreign Film:  The Look of Silence (runner-up:  White God)

Documentary:  Amy (runner-up:  The Look of Silence)

Los Angeles Film Critics Association:

Picture:  Spotlight (runner-up:  Max Max: Fury Road)

Director:  George Miller (Max Max: Fury Road) (runner-up:  Todd Haynes, Carol)

Actor:  Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs) (runner-up:  Geza Rohrig, Son of Saul)

Actress:  Charlotte Rampling (45 Years) (runner-up:  Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn)

Supporting Actor:  Michael Shannon (99 Homes) (runner-up:  Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies)

Supporting Actress:  Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina) (runner-up:  Kristen Stewart, Clouds of Sils Maria)

Screenplay:  Spotlight (runner-up:  Anomalisa)

Cinematography:  Mad Max: Fury Road (runner-up:  Carol)

Editing:  The Big Short (runner-up:  Mad Max: Fury Road)

Foreign Film:  Son of Saul (runner-up:  The Tribe)

Animated Film:  Anomalisa (runner-up:  Inside Out)

Documentary:  Amy (runner-up:  The Look of Silence)

Score:  Anomalisa & Carol

Production Design:  Mad Max: Fury Road (runner-up:  Carol)

Both critics groups had exactly the same results in Actress.  Also, they gave a "Next Generation" prize to Ryan Coogler for Creed.

Is it me or do the acting categories seem more up in the air this year than any time in recent memory? The only one with a real frontrunner at this point is Best Actor, and that seems to be more down to a lack of strong competition than anything. It seemed like Brie Larson had a chance to pull away in Actress, but Saiorse Ronan seems to have pulled even (at least) at this point. Meanwhile, the supporting categories seem like a complete pick-em.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to remind myself that critics awards =/= industry awards in order to avoid getting my hopes up too much for George Miller and Fury Road.