Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Spicy Showdown in Santa Fe

I continue to have a hard time wrapping my head around savory waffles. And I would not spend that much to see if I liked them.

Do they buy their let's-make-a-waffle stuff already made?

Love Postcards but seriously cringed when they did not leave a note. Anticipated production interception or not. Maybe had they left a note they would not have been fined? Their soup and cornbread looked delish.

Glad the Spice Girls are gone.

Didn't a truck set up in a grocery store lot last season? I thought it was a crazy idea but I think they were actually praised for it?

• Love 1

But food shopping makes you super-hungry. And you're already in shopping mode. One of the few times I buy fast food is after a big grocery shop.

The best place I think is a shopping plaza, but not a supermarket one (or at least one that's just a supermarket). There's a hot dog truck I know for example that parks outside a Best Buy and does killer business.  I imagine a lot of trucks hang out in places like that.

Seems to me the more stores, the better. So outside a mall might be ideal--except that most malls would forbid it (since it's competition for their food court),  The next best thing would be an outdoor plaza/strip mall (which I think would be less likely to object). You know, the ones where it's a couple of big box stores usually, but then a bunch of medium sized places too.  Some of those plazas have no food businesses, while others only have like one or two.  Who likely won't have the leverage to object too loudly.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Didn't a truck set up in a grocery store lot last season? I thought it was a crazy idea but I think they were actually praised for it?

I think it was a Costco or something like that. And they usually have a food truck outside, or a hot dog truck, all the time. So if they found one without a truck, they probably did well.

But at a normal grocery store where you can buy ready-made food for a lot less (as mentioned above) you'd die.

The one local food truck here (which is an old airstream trailer) makes killer Cuban sandwiches. They often park in a small shopping center that has Sears, Advance Auto, the DMV tag office... guy territory... and they do very well.

• Love 1

Finally... go home to your kids and stop crying. Tyler was right, their downfall was they didn't have a short enough spiel to sell their food. I will get disinterested and walk away if I have to hear someone explain something for several minutes.

I was afraid Postcards would blow that money lead. Especially with the fender thingy.

They could certainly leave out the part about how it is their own spice blend.  The potential customers don't know you, and your ability to blend spices has no reputation, good or bad.  No one is going to say, "well, I was trying to decide between your stuff and the stuff on the truck across the street, but since you blend your own spices, I will eat here."

I'm no Mom, but I can do it in 5 seconds flat.

"It's spicy Indian grilled Chicken in a tomato cream sauce! I promise it's good!"

I am a mom and I was able to say your phrase in under 4 seconds, 

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 3

I didn't know I wanted a grilled cheese waffle until I saw it. I love watching this show and finding new

food ideas. I didn't like Postcards hitting the car and not leaving a note. There were three people one

of them could have and should of left a note. I do wonder if that's really the way he is. Yes, he did

realize that they would be penalized. But he never mentioned the owner of the car once. Not one that

he felt bad, was sorry or anything. One word, one line would have been nice. I held out hope all the way

to the end that he or one of them would say something. But nope.  I hope there was a production team or

someone so the  owner didn't come out and find their bumper scratched.

I'm glad the Moms went home. They were driving me crazy from the first episode.

• Love 1

I don't think Tyler would have "fined" Postcards $250 if they hadn't decided to leave the scene.  As I understand it he took $250 from them to cover the deductible and $250 as a fine.  I think they drove off to find another spot assuming production would take care of things (which they did) but without leaving a note on their own.

The food trucks I mentioned in my post above (that had accidents in a previous season) did not have the extra fine because they did not abandon the scene.  They stayed and talked to the police, etc. They were charged the insurance deductible but not an additional amount like Postcards was.

• Love 1

They could certainly leave out the part about how it is their own spice blend.  The potential customers don't know you, and your ability to blend spices has no reputation, good or bad.  No one is going to say, "well, I was trying to decide between your stuff and the stuff on the truck across the street, but since you blend your own spices, I will eat here."

I am a mom and I was able to say your phrase in under 4 seconds,

I'm a 25 year old male and I can say that phrase in under 3 seconds!

• Love 1

Delurking:

*While Postcards causing that accident and fleeing the scene were bitch moves, since Tyler called them on it and fined them for it, I'm over it. However, if/when Postcards gets eliminated, I won't be too disappointed.

*So glad that Spice It Up was eliminated. Their cattiness about Postcards' win was bad enough, but their pretentiousness about Chicken Tikka Marsala was the long-overdue nail in the coffin. If it takes almost as long to explain a dish as it does to make it, then I don't want it anyway.

*I love waffles, but I don't love Waffle Love. Something about them just creeps me out.

• Love 1

First time to see this show, and this was the first ep. Yum! Not many food trucks in our area, but when I've tried a couple, there's often a wait for the food.  "Made to order" is a good thing, as long as it isn't too long a wait. I think that's one reason the waffles did so well. I LOVED the dumpling gals figuring out how to move the product. Hollering out the window at the passers by, dropping prices, whatever it takes. I thought the Spice girls were a little late to that party, and the $15 seemed outrageous.  I would think food trucks would need to maximize speed with affordability. (And yumminess, of course.)

I also thought the grocery store spot was a poor choice.  Hungry when I leave, yes. But with ice cream, milk and a package of chicken in the car, not sure I'd be willing to take the time to walk over, order, and wait for lunch. Carload of lumber, paint and light bulbs from Home Depot? No prob. Someplace with foot traffic and where people can mill around and/or not be rushed. Shenanigans or not, the "hit and run" was disappointing.

"Will it Waffle?" rabbit hole, indeed.   Think I'm trying the hash browns first...