Type keyword(s) to search

Luke Cage - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm liking what I've read so far as the casting and roles goes; it appears on casual glance that they may be really going back to the roots of the character in his Luke Cage: Hero for Hire series. There was some cheesiness and (of course) non-political correctness about those books by today's terms, but the core of who Luke really is comes from there, and I still feel they got more right than wrong.

It was really as Luke continued onwards, and in particular when they hooked him up with Iron Fist, that things started to go astray (for both characters). Much as I love their partnership, most writers never quite seemed to know what to do with them, and their personal storylines and characters have been all over the map in the decades since both were introduced.

I really hope they go back to the Marvel Premiere stories for Danny's Iron Fist series for the same reason. I've read that there is apparently a lack of focus on what/where to go with that series right now. I say they should stick to his more gritty 70s kung-fu origins; Danny as falsely confused killer on a mission of revenge/justice, and only layer the more mystical K'un-L'un stuff in gradually.

In any case, looking forward to both of those series as well as Daredevil. I'm even looking forward to Jessica Jones, although I never picked up the book after the first issue (Bendis. Ugh.)

I loved the trailer after the last episode of Daredevil S2.

"You know you don't have to-" ::Guys with guns shoot at Luke, who just sighs and shifts his body like a toddler's dad::

No Misty Knight or Claire or Jessica , but we have until September. :D

Well, it got me eager for the show when I wasn't before - I'm not 100% sold on Mike Colter, but now I'm convinced he can headline a show. But it's Rosario Dawson that put a smile on my face. Claire Temple is one of my Netflix Marvel faves.

• Love 3

Interesting. They are no longer insisting the entire Netflix division of the MCU/MCTVU happens in Hell's Kitchen. Unless MCU Hell's Kitchen is even more elastic than the comic book one and magically includes Harlem.

To be clear, of course Cage's classic digs were Harlem. It's only the MCU that shifted any of his activity to Hell's Kitchen (to accommodate his place in Jessica Jones--something the comics didn't sweat as much since Jones wasn't really tied to Hell's Kitchen either in the comics but they placed her there now to tie into Daredevil). 

Edited by Kromm

The trailer looks fan-tas-tic.

I don't think I'll ever be sold on Mike Colter though, I loved him on The Good Wife but...man, Luke Cage is supposed to ooze charisma. This guy is basically a walking, talking wall. I need someone that commands the room with not only his body but his personality. It's all a little too stoic for me.

• Love 1
On 8/11/2016 at 2:45 PM, JessePinkman said:

I don't think I'll ever be sold on Mike Colter though, I loved him on The Good Wife but...man, Luke Cage is supposed to ooze charisma. This guy is basically a walking, talking wall. I need someone that commands the room with not only his body but his personality. It's all a little too stoic for me.

I too loved Mike Colter on The Good Wife, but he was a disappointment on Jessica Jones. I am hoping maybe it was just a lack of chemistry with (the fantastic) Krysten Ritter that hindered his performance on that show. The trailer for Luke Cage looks pretty damn cool, and it would be nice to have a really good "superhero" show starring a black protagonist. Netflix has rarely let me down so I am definitely looking forward to this.

I felt silly for a few minutes last week when I took Friday off from work just to mainline this show, but it seems I might have made the right call.

Friday is a public holiday for me in Australia, but damn time differences mean that this only becomes available for us about 6pm. Weather forecast is terrible, so would have been great to stay in and binge-watch.

A question for current New Yorkers - does "Harlem" actually still exist? That is, is it really still an organic, predominantly African-American community, or is it like Little Italy, a few soul-food restaurants and gospel brunches primarily for tourists surrounded by more recent immigrant populations and waves of gentrification?