Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Run Away

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I think she didn't say where because to say where would let everyone know it was rehab and not therapy.  

No, MTV hired T.R as a personal trainer for Leah before she went to rehab was my understanding.  He wasn't at the rehab center.

• Love 1

I used to work at a daycare, and I can think of two kids that went by different last names, because their fathers were no longer in their lives, and another whose name got switched back and forth over the 2 years I worked there (she started as Smith, then went to Jones, then back to Smith again before she was 3). I understand the parents wanting to have the same name as their kids, especially if their father isn't around, but why have them go by a name when they never get around to legally changing it? If it was important enough to me to have them sign their preschool art projects with a name, I would make legally changing it a priority.

My children's legal names are allienc's last name - their father's last name.  One child goes by allienc's last name and drops the hyphen and dad's last name.  The other goes by the full hyphenated name.  I don't see the need to legally change their names as they are children of both myself and their father and share both of our names but I also don't see the need to bicker with them about signing their names with their full legal names.  I don't see the big deal?  As far as I know none of their teachers have either.  If it matters, both last names are uncommon so no matter whether they use my last name, his last name or their full legal hyphenated last name, everyone knows who they are.

Edited by allienc

HIPAA doesn't apply to patients and their relatives, only to the provider, insurance companies, etc. If she doesn't want to talk about it on camera, it's because she's embarrassed or worries that Leah would be embarrassed, or for fear of what someone (Corey, Leah's "fans") would do if they found out it was rehab. But there's no legal requirement on her to keep her mouth shut - it's just a choice. A choice I understand, but if she's not willing to say, she shouldn't be at all surprised that Corey wouldn't just go ahead and sign off on it. 

I know, but it's not necessarily HIPAA. Many rehabs have a confidentiality about them. Or maybe the producers were telling Dawn to keep the name quiet. Hell, maybe they knew she never even made it so why bother?

Kail played Lacrosse in high school:

http://216.168.54.41/kailyn-lowry

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/kailyn-lowry/articles/88559/title/kailyn-lowry

I googled it because I remembered her wearing lacrosse team shirts in her 16&P and early TM episodes.

I come from an area where Lacrosse isn't all that popular (south Louisiana). Is Lacrosse an expensive sport to play? From the brief time I've lived in the northeastern U.S., it seemed like a very white, middle to upper class sport.

Don't get me wrong, I think Suzi is a POS parent. I say this as a child of an addict. But I do wonder if Kail's situation her whole childhood as far as material stuff was as dire as she makes it out to be (before Suzi ended up living in a hotel). I mean, we all remember Kail going for (and getting) special housing for homeless single moms when she really wasn't "homeless." She just balked at the idea that her mom's boyfriend told her she had to clean her room, so she had to leave (and try to steal the TV). Or perhaps she gifted money for Lacrosse gear & stuff from the Riveras and/or others for lacrosse?

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 5
I know, but it's not necessarily HIPAA. Many rehabs have a confidentiality about them. Or maybe the producers were telling Dawn to keep the name quiet. Hell, maybe they knew she never even made it so why bother?

Good point - sort of flowing from the 12-step notion that you don't blow somebody else's anonymity (in part because doing so risks people refusing to get help). She may have over-interpreted this regarding not being willing to tell Corey (if Leah was willing to tell, which she seemingly was not - so not Dawn's decision to make, but rather she is left awkwardly trying to follow Leah's decision not to say where it is she's going except in the most roundabout and euphemistic of ways). Not telling him while the cameras are running is probably even more the right call.

In addition to the moral (as opposed to legal, i.e., HIPAA) obligation, there may also be something of a contractual thing with the rehab place - they agree to take only those who will abide by their confidentiality rules and not tell people who don't need to know who is there. But it's not as though rehab places turn away celebrities who publicly announce that they're checking into x, y, or z rehab center. They will tell everybody not to disclose who else was there, and maybe will kick you out if you violate this rule, but I don't see how they could punish Leah for Dawn's violating her confidentiality, rather than someone else's. Still, she should have been advised at some point that it is not right for her, as opposed to Leah, ,to be making disclosures about where she went.

Edited by akr

Lacrosse is an expensive sport. I recall Kailyn wearing Uggs and Coach purses on her 16&P. I wonder if Kailyn's mother provided those. I knew children of a!coholics who were so spoiled with material things as apologies for the shit the parents put the kids through. I wonder if Kailyn's mother did same. Could be why she felt so entitled to take her TV.

• Love 1

The thing about Leah going to this "intense residential therapy" (or whatever Leah is calling rehab), is that it makes it sound like if you're a mom who is overwhelmed by parenting and life in general (and heck, sometimes I am), there's a place where you can go for a few weeks to rest, escape the pressures of parenting/life, etc. that a Teen Mom or any working class mom going through a divorce can magically afford. Not so. If you are overwhelmed, good luck getting your medical insurance (if you have it), to pay for several weeks in a residential program to help you get therapy for anything besides a drug addiction and SERIOUS mental issues like a schizophrenic break or something. Even if you self harm or threaten to, you aren't going to be spending weeks in Cirque Lodge at an affordable rate (or covered by insurance); you'd probably just end up on a 5150-type hold for 72 hours. Unless you're independently wealthy, it can be really difficult for people to be able to pay for (or get their insurance to pay for) several weeks of inpatient treatment after psychotic breaks, suicide attempts, eating disorders and addiction issues, let alone "stress and anxiety."

MTV and Leah are really doing a disservice to teen viewers by making it look like any working or middle class mom who gets anxious or sad can be able to and afford to go away for in-patient help for anxiety/depression. I wish that was the case as it would probably do wonders for many....but it's not. You end up maybe doing outpatient visits, therapy sessions, etc....but you don't get to just go away for a few weeks to "fix" your anxiety and depression. Even if it's really serious, that isn't going to happen for most people from Leah's socioeconomic class and even the middle class. MTV & Leah are making it look like there are resources available to moms when there really aren't - it kind of sends the message of "don't worry if you get knocked up at 16 and its overwhelming! You can just go to "therapy" for a few weeks like Leah!"

Just tell us it's drug rehab that will also address underlying causes such as depression and anxiety, as well as the info that MTV is footing the bill.

Sorry for the rant. I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense. Most adults with anxiety and depression don't have access to such a thing as Leah's alleged fancy in-patient treatment for extended period of times if at all. I don't like that MTV makes it seem like this would be an option for most people from Leah's socioeconomic background.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 8

Leah allegedly went to (and completed) rehab at Cirque Lodge in Utah. http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/06/03/leah-messer-calvert-rehab-depression-stress-teen-mom-2/

Info from the Cirque Lodge website:

"Cirque Lodge is not an in network addiction treatment program. We do not accept any 3rd party billing. Some insurance companies do reimburse for out of network treatment. This reimbursement is left entirely up to the resident. We are happy to provide the documentation on policies regarding insurance." They also don't take medicaid/Medicare - http://www.cirquelodge.com/Admission/FAQ.php

There's more info on the facility at the link below, including its price ($30k-$45k/month):

http://www.thefix.com/content/cirque-lodge

• Love 3

Kail played Lacrosse in high school:

http://216.168.54.41/kailyn-lowry

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/kailyn-lowry/articles/88559/title/kailyn-lowry

I googled it because I remembered her wearing lacrosse team shirts in her 16&P and early TM episodes.

I come from an area where Lacrosse isn't all that popular (south Louisiana). Is Lacrosse an expensive sport to play? From the brief time I've lived in the northeastern U.S., it seemed like a very white, middle to upper class sport.

Don't get me wrong, I think Suzi is a POS parent. I say this as a child of an addict. But I do wonder if Kail's situation her whole childhood as far as material stuff was as dire as she makes it out to be (before Suzi ended up living in a hotel). I mean, we all remember Kail going for (and getting) special housing for homeless single moms when she really wasn't "homeless." She just balked at the idea that her mom's boyfriend told her she had to clean her room, so she had to leave (and try to steal the TV). Or perhaps she gifted money for Lacrosse gear & stuff from the Riveras and/or others for lacrosse?

I fully believe Kail made her life story sound so dire and pitiful to get sympathy from people. I never believed Kail had this skid row kinda life where she was couch-surfing just to have a place to stay. Kail just couldn't bother to follow the rules being set forth by the people she was mooching off of. As you pointed out, she didn't even go about the proper way to acquire housing. She had to lie in order to get housing that was available for someone in need, not someone who couldn't follow rules.  Suzy was an alcoholic, that is without question, but Kail is shady as fuck and she will twist a story if it removes all the blame off of her and puts it squarely on someone else. She had no problem inviting Suzy back to her home and into her life, and then allowing Suzy to babysit Lincoln.

I now wonder if Suzy was Kail's babysitter so she could go and be sneaky without having Javi's mom or sister knowing of her going out without the baby? Suzy was what Jo's brother used to be.

Leah allegedly went to (and completed) rehab at Cirque Lodge in Utah.

Rehab is NOT for depression!!

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 7

I don't think that MTV would have begrudged Dawn telling Corey off camera where the "treatment facility" was.  They have skipped over the deer-cam incident, the pills, the lack of wheelchair, the tardiness to school and the general lack of supervision. They have enabled this whole bullsh*t "I'm not addicted, I'm just tired" storyline so I don't see why they wouldn't allow Dawn to say it off camera or just agree to not show the conversation on air. 

I thought it was painfully funny how Dawn thought she was hot stuff with the "I'd rather not disclose that, Corey" line.  She clearly rehearsed that one!  If Corey had shown up to Leah's place and said that he was planning on taking the girls away for the weekend but he wouldn't tell Leah where, she would have booked a court date the minute the conversation finished.  The double standards with Leah and Dawn annoy me more than they should.  

Edited by ChocolateAddict
  • Love 8

When Javi asked "What's the most important thing about soccer?" I expected him to say "Have Fun!" but no, of course he didn't. Crappiest soccer coach ever.

I totally agree, although I though he was going to say "Teamwork!" These are four-year-olds, FFS.

• Love 1

Rehab is NOT for depression!!

THANK YOU!! I have been scared to say anything because I know people will say "well, my cousins brothers uncle went to rehab for depression/anxiety"... But for the most part you DO NOT go to residential treatment for depression/anxiety. It is often a coexisting condition with many mental illness and addiction issue, so most rehab facilities can treat them, but there is generally another condition. I'm sure it happens sometimes, there are always exceptions to the rule (although I don't believe for a second that Leah is an exception), but it's not that common to go to residential treatment primarily for anxiety/depression.

As far as the last name issue with Isaac, I used to work for a pediatrician, and I remember there were a few cases where children went by different names than their legal, most often it was children who went through the foster system and were adopted but hadn't had their names legally changed, and all they had to do was tell us what the child prefers to be called, and we gladly used that as far as the child knew, but we had to use the legal name on the chart and for tests/insurance etc. I remember once there was a mom who argued with me that I had to use the name she was telling me for the chart, that the child would be re-abused if she saw her legal name (btw the child was 2-3 years)... I feel like Kail would try to pull something like that, calling it abusive to make Isaac think he has a different last name. As far as that mom, I just had to tell her I would do everything in my power to ensure the child does not see the name on the chart, but I had to use the legal name and that was not negotiable... She then went to my manager, who told her the same thing, and then left the practice because we were allowing her child to be "revictimized" I have to believe there was something weird going on in that case, but that's beyond the point.

• Love 3

My best friend was adopted by her stepfather and her parents gave her the opportunity to change her name, all together, at the time of her adoption. She did. It was really weird to be in 5th grade and seeing her try to hide her old name from her new one. I really felt bad for her. Your name is like your face, it's your identity. There really isn't exactly any do-overs there.

• Love 1

THANK YOU!! I have been scared to say anything because I know people will say "well, my cousins brothers uncle went to rehab for depression/anxiety"... But for the most part you DO NOT go to residential treatment for depression/anxiety. It is often a coexisting condition with many mental illness and addiction issue, so most rehab facilities can treat them, but there is generally another condition. I'm sure it happens sometimes, there are always exceptions to the rule (although I don't believe for a second that Leah is an exception), but it's not that common to go to residential treatment primarily for anxiety/depression.

Yep, very true. Leah has a lot more going on than depression, anxiety, migraines, allergies, raggedy hair, busted nails, and the inability to keep her legs closed.

Leah definitely needs proper treatment for all her ailments. She continues to rant that she only went to get help with her anxiety and depression.

As far as the last name issue with Isaac, I used to work for a pediatrician, and I remember there were a few cases where children went by different names than their legal, most often it was children who went through the foster system and were adopted but hadn't had their names legally changed, and all they had to do was tell us what the child prefers to be called, and we gladly used that as far as the child knew, but we had to use the legal name on the chart and for tests/insurance etc. I remember once there was a mom who argued with me that I had to use the name she was telling me for the chart, that the child would be re-abused if she saw her legal name (btw the child was 2-3 years)... I feel like Kail would try to pull something like that, calling it abusive to make Isaac think he has a different last name. As far as that mom, I just had to tell her I would do everything in my power to ensure the child does not see the name on the chart, but I had to use the legal name and that was not negotiable... She then went to my manager, who told her the same thing, and then left the practice because we were allowing her child to be "revictimized" I have to believe there was something weird going on in that case, but that's beyond the point.

I really don't think there is anything that crazy to the whole "Lowry" last name that Isaac had written on his paper. I don't think Karl is forcing Isaac to use "Lowry" as his last name and it is not a case of Isaac legally going by a different last name than his father. It was a bit strange to see Karl's last name on a piece of art paper done by Isaac. I wouldn't put it past Karl to tell Isaac to do that while making that art paper at home. Now, if he did it at school, I would wonder how he did it without help since that was done when he was around 3-4 years of age and he is now just learning his alphabet.

I fully believe Kail made her life story sound so dire and pitiful to get sympathy from people. I never believed Kail had this skid row kinda life where she was couch-surfing just to have a place to stay. Kail just couldn't bother to follow the rules being set forth by the people she was mooching off of. As you pointed out, she didn't even go about the proper way to acquire housing.

Pride before Pity is like, totally a great book title for someone who's never used pity tactics to line her nest.

• Love 2

I'm always so aghast at Dawn's physical appearance that I miss most of what she is attempting to say.

While helping a nephew play Dead Rising 3, the notorious Darlene Fleischermacher boss had me wondering aloud "Did Mama Dawn take off with Ali's wheelchair?" I think it was even about the same color.

• Love 1