Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Miami

Actor Clark Gable joins the Air Force during World War II, Ponce de Leon quarrels with Diego Columbus, and Griselda Blanco takes over the cocaine trade in Miami.

Featuring Josh Hartnett as Clark Gable in "Private Clark Gable"; Johnny Knoxville as Ponce de Leon, Matt Besser as King Ferdinand, and David Koechner as Diego Columbus in "Juan Ponce de Leon"; Maya Rudolph as Griselda Blanco, Horatio Sanz as Alberto Bravo, and Joe Lo Truglio as DEA Agent Bob Palombo in "The Black Widow: The Godmother of Cocaine". 

Narrators: Greg Worswick, Jessica Meraz, Dan Harmon

Well, that happened. Maya Rudolph was brilliant, as was Josh Hartnett surprisingly. I'm pretty sure nothing else happened. Derek still seemed very drunk with most of the narrators, which I enjoy.

The entire "Black Widow" segment was brilliant.  I almost lost it during Maya's manic cocaine-snorting and the narrator's joke about the George Foreman grill.

The woman who narrated the Ponce de Leon segment didn't seem drunk at all.  A few funny lines here and there, but she didn't give the actors much to work with.

• Love 1

I'm so used to seeing Josh Hartnett play Ethan Chandler on Penny Dreadfull, and be sad and tortured, it was nice to see him do something fun.  Not the funniest segment they've ever done, but there really wasn't much to that story.  And I don't know what it had to do with Miami.     Also, could Josh be a little more handsome? Yikes. 

• Love 1

I liked the de Leon story, but it wasn't narrated well. Contrast her to Jenny Slate. The job is still to narrate entertainingly while drunk. Knoxville was quite good skipping around. There were so many characters, it should have been way better.

The first story was lacking any other characters than JH, and he didn't really get to do much. 

MR was great as the coke lady, and the narrator was probably the best of the night. 

I mean, I know it's got to be hard to do. Then drunk on top of it. But still.

I'm wondering if DW requested a higher budget for a sober guy so he could drink more. He was definitely into it at the end. 

• Love 1

The entire "Black Widow" segment was brilliant.  I almost lost it during Maya's manic cocaine-snorting and the narrator's joke about the George Foreman grill.

The last segment was great but my favorite part was definitely the end where they were riffing on what her being killed by something she invented would be like.

I'm wondering if DW requested a higher budget for a sober guy so he could drink more. He was definitely into it at the end. 

Bits about this episode can be found in this article:  9 things we learned about Drunk History at the ATX Festival.  Points 3 and 4 relate to this segment.  Derek says it's the drunkest he has ever been on the show.  It's pretty rare that he ends up on the floor over the narrator.

I was a bit disappointed in the Clark Gable segment. My dad was in the same unit in England, and their bombing escapades are legendary. For example, on one mission over Germany, 16 of the 17 American B-17 bombers were shot out of the sky and the crews killed. (Watch for the next Hanks/Spielberg WWII film if you are interested in this kind of thing.)

It was great to see Maya - I'm a big fan.

Edited by pasdetrois
The entire "Black Widow" segment was brilliant. I almost lost it during Maya's manic cocaine-snorting and the narrator's joke about the George Foreman grill.

I'm just catching up on this episode.  The other 2 segments were meh, but Maya Rudolph was awesome.  I particularly loved that she wore that same blue dress throughout her entire life.  Agree with IndianPaintbrush about the cocaine-snorting and will add her exaggerated jerking as she was gunned down.

• Love 2