Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: eps1.9_zer0-day.avi

• Start Topic

I'm surprised not one person has mentioned that White Rose is talking with the E corp CEO in the final scene. Obviously no longer cross dressing but its BD Wong nonetheless. BTW I feel like Wong threw in the cross dressing thing to support transgender community because it really wasn't a great disguise if he was trying to fool Elliot.

Whiterose is a transwoman. Sam Esmail created the character—not BD Wong: http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/bd-wong-mr-robot-whiterose-playing-transgender.html

I thought, I don’t want to be that flashy actor doing this evil trans part. I don’t want to be the evil trans person. I also didn’t want to take a job away from a trans actor. And I said, “I want there to be an opportunity for a trans actor to play this part.”

I was then told Sam did meet some trans actors but didn’t pick them, and then he asked me to do it. I don’t know why he was asking me to do it, and I was putting up a little bit of resistance.

I'm surprised not one person has mentioned that White Rose is talking with the E corp CEO in the final scene. Obviously no longer cross dressing but its BD Wong nonetheless. BTW I feel like Wong threw in the cross dressing thing to support transgender community because it really wasn't a great disguise if he was trying to fool Elliot.

Let's be serious Elliot can't be everyone! The show is called Mr Robot they need to stick to the idea his counter personality is only Mr Robot.

Love the show everytime I finish watching its like the way I felt after I read Catcher in the Rye.

Elliot is Krista's boyfriend

and Krista

• Love 1

I watched through to the end of the season, but I won't be returning for Season 2. What a mess. None of it makes any sense and I do not care about any of these characters, except maybe the therapist. I don't need a season finale to tie everything up with a neat bow, but I do need some of the MANY loose ends tied up. It's a bit like leaving a trail of breadcrumbs, expecting everybody to get so caught up in following the trail that they forget they don't care where the trail leads. 

My biggest problem is with the whole "is it real or is it in his head" thing. Someone earlier said this show seems to do nothing but recycle tropes from other shows and movies. This episode was doing The Hangover. I could make a list, but I just don't care enough to bother. 

• Love 1

What loose ends? I think some of the commenters are making this show more complicated than it is; from what we've seen, everyone is real except Mr. Robot as an alter-ego/Tyler Durden of Elliot. The show acknowledged the obviousness of the trope (which wasn't invented by Fight Club) with the Pixies song last episode. But beyond that, it's a show about hacking, about corporatization, about our rapidly changing, interconected, and volatile world. I finished the season last night, and have been reflecting on it today; I think the unreliable narrator does an important service to the story, since the fsociety solution is not black or white; if Elliot were a straight-up protagonist this would just be the movie "Hackers" or "Antitrust". His inner conflict mirrors the outer world: we hate some parts of it, definitely dont trust others, but also benefit from it in ways that are hard to disentagle from the "bullshit". Part of me would love such a hack because I find our world distressing, and part of me would hate it because, well, I have a mortgage and stocks.

As I understand it, as massive as the hack is it shouldn't be any more disastrous than say 2008; the hack targeted one very large company- with a market cap a little bigger than the size of Apple- but that shouldn't destabilize the world economy. The various lenders and CCs will still function; shutting down CCs was a precaution not unlike the halting of the stock market and air travel after 9/11. Emergency legislation will be passed to ensure continuity, security will be massively beefed up, new spending will occur and debt will be created, money will flow again, people will go back to work. The government will probably even bail out EvilCorp to keep it afloat, while they sort out the mess. I kind of hope they do, as it would match the cynicism of our modern world to show that what really happens after "Fight Club" is... nothing changes in the end. I have a pet belief that Capitalism is nothing more than a fancy dress for old-school aristocracy, as we saw when White Rose met with Phillip Price (who was played as deliciously evil; I hope we get more of him in season 2 ). Even revolution itself gets co-opted for profit by the global elite, and all the turmoil is just theatrics while the rich get richer.

Then again, as some speculated here, perhaps the reason Tyrell did the hack with Elliot is so that the former would have the 256-bit key literally in his pocket as immense leverage- leverage that a stone cold sociopath like the EvilCorp CEO might actually admire.

That's assuming Tyrell isn't already dead, if that's who they think did it; he would be their number one suspect, especially since there's record he intentionally shut down the honeypot, he was under investigation for murder, and had just gotten fired. There's no reason for literally anyone but maybe Gideon to even suspect Elliot, and if the CEO knew about WhiteRose's background that conversation would have gone quite differently; WR seems to be using the hacker world to gain advantage over US competitors, hence the unanswered question when he last saw Elliot about why. I think Tyrell has to be the prime candidate for EvilCorp to target, given his motive, access, and skills. Elliot wasn't being followed by EvilCorp, but by Tyrell's men; at worst he'd be seen as a very smart patsy hired by Willick and nothing more.

As an aside, it would be show killing if Tyrell were an alter-ego of Elliot... but my Scrabble-ish puzzle mind noticed this while typing this comment: TyrElliott. I googled, and Tyr is the Norse god of war, and hey, guess who's Swedish... :)

I don't think Tyrell is dead, and that's who I think will be at the door of Elliot's apartment. I think he's going to be a big part of season 2, although I hope the actor dials back the scenery chewing a bit.

All in all, I enjoyed this season; I'm not hyper-excited for next year like say GoT or Breaking Bad in their primes, but will definitely watch it.

• Love 7

From the IMDb boards:

In the last episode of season 1, where Elliot is talking to Joanna Wellick, she says something to him in Danish with a sinister smile, to which he replies "Excuse me? I don't understand what you're saying." It's the only part through the whole season that isn't subtitled. The words are: "Hvis du har gjort ham noget, så slår jeg dig ihjel." which translates to "If you have done something to him, I will beat you to death."

• Love 2

From the IMDb boards:In the last episode of season 1, where Elliot is talking to Joanna Wellick, she says something to him in Danish with a sinister smile, to which he replies "Excuse me? I don't understand what you're saying." It's the only part through the whole season that isn't subtitled. The words are: "Hvis du har gjort ham noget, så slår jeg dig ihjel." which translates to "If you have done something to him, I will beat you to death."

It's interesting, because she told Tyrell practically the opposite--that he's no longer someone she wants to be married to and that if he wants to go on being a part of her family he'll "fix this." How do you fix murder? The whole thing is a bit surreal.

• Love 2

I just bingewatched the season over the past few weeks, and finished this final episode of season one last night. 

And... I'm very disappointed overall. I think the show has far more good ideas than resolutions. The characters feel clumsily structured and too often irrelevant to the main story to me. I get what Esmail is going for, but I was so exhilarated by the pilot episode and what he was trying to show us through Elliot's eyes -- and so let down by this finale. It just felt very pieced-together and awkward to me. 

Most of the storylines from this first season didn't feel seamless or legitimately connected to me so after this episode, I just felt like I'd watched a series of short stories that happened to intersect. There was an almost haphazard feel to the ways in which characters and stories seemed to enter and exit and I found that especially true in this season finale.

I just didn't believe Angela would really go to work for E Corp, I didn't buy her attitude when buying the shoes (nor that she would actually immediately go do that), nor did I buy that she would come back for the press conference. Also, evidently she is working in the PR department at E Corp now -- why? She had a legitimate tech job at AllSafe. I'm not knocking PR in real life (I'm a publicist myself), but this would be a huge waste of her skills and knowledge.

I don't mind an unreliable narrator. But I was left after this episode feeling only pity for Eliot -- along with a fervent desire for him to check himself in somewhere and get some help. I just find the character exhausting and repetitive no matter how brilliantly Rami Malek portrays him (and I do think it's a star-making role for the guy, who is amazing). The number of times in this episode that I cringed simply because of Eliot's constant screaming at his visions just made me wonder when someone was going to call Krista back in to help get his mental ducks back in a row.

I didn't get why they had the scene with Krista and the original dog owner in the beginning, and then nothing came of it.

This is a great example of several scenes that I just felt contributed nothing to our understanding of either the characters or plot. We already knew Douche was a douche. We already knew Krista was vulnerable. I guess it did show that Krista was still willing to support Elliot, even after he admitted to hacking her, but she didn't do anything any good therapist wouldn't have done, with or without personal motive. I like Gloria Reuben (and Krista) but it was a total waste of a scene for me.

But... honestly so was the entire weird storyline about Tyrell and his creepy wife in the end, and his being utterly gone in this episode just seemed to really amp up the bizarre aspects of that entire story for me. Same with Angela's flirtation with the dark side and her suddenly being the most fascinating person ever to both Colby and Price. Or the contrasting scenes with Gideon evidently just meant to rather obviously underscore what a good man he is...

It just didn't work for me. None of it was bad, but it felt slapdash and very heavy-handed to me.

Considering Elliot remembers his father pushing him out a window and it wasn't him would suggest that his memories of his mother maybe wrong too.

I was confused by his mother's suddenly benign demeanor in this as well. The entire season, we've seen her be deliberately and repeatedly cruel to the young Eliot, and while I get that the differences may simply be due to the whole "Elliot as unreliable narrator" thing -- again, if we can't trust anything he shows us, what's the point of investing in his story?

Elliot is the ultimate unreliable narrator. We can't take anything he says or sees at face value. Which means we can't take anything this show says or sees at face value.

This is exactly how I feel, to the extent that in this episode I basically kind of shrugged helplessly and wondered which story I was supposed to care about. I love Rami Malek as Elliot, but how can I care about the guy when between the unreliable narrator POV and the huge spaces of lost time and now lost characters, I just don't know how much longer I can stick with it. 

I took it to mean that, as on the Titanic, the very rich will have a much better chance of surviving this catastrophe (though some won't make it) than the rest of us of poor sods in steerage.

I thought that was a nice bit of symmetry, if (as often with this show) rather too on the nose.

Stephanie Corneliussen (Joanna) was doing a fantastic young Angelina Jolie, the pouffy lips, the sliding eyes.  It was really striking.  

I have a hard time looking at her. Yes, she's beautiful, but she looks so plastic and fake, as if she had surgery to look Jolie-like -- the huge lips are obviously fake, and I feel like she was cast for her looks versus her acting abilities. I did like her moment on the steps with Elliot here and thought it was one of her better efforts.

I was like why is the power still on?  If there's no more electronic money (debt), there's no way anyone is paying for all of that power.  No one's salaries can be paid either because those are mostly paid by lines of credit.  And on and on and on.  Nobody carries cash anymore.  No way people are showing up for work.  You can't strip out the core of how things function -- money/debt -- and expect nothing else to be affected when literally everything would be affected.  

This bothers me.  I love the surreal, trippy feel of the show, but the way it blurs what's real and what's an Elliot-fueled delusion is kind of making me cranky.  

I had the same issues with the way people were acting as well. Far, far too many people were shown showing up at work and even looking relatively calm, both up on high in tech/corporate and down at the retail level. The streets should have been emptier, the stores should have been closed, the chaos would have been different from what we saw here.

I think things would fall apart quickly, not in slow motion.  Regular, normal life for most people would be over and I don't think they will take it well.  Things that are paid for as they're consumed are gone because they can't be paid for.  People will panic when they realize they can't buy food because their credit/debit cards don't work.  Then they will steal food.  There won't be enough cops to stop them.  It won't take long before the grocery store shelves will be empty.  Things would cascade out of control from there.  

This. I think the divide between celebration and terror/panic would have been much more even, instead of the whole "yay! the world's ending!" thing. I get the relief from debt would be huge, but small business owners, living and working on a primarily cash basis, would be gutted.

I watched through to the end of the season, but I won't be returning for Season 2. What a mess. None of it makes any sense and I do not care about any of these characters, except maybe the therapist. I don't need a season finale to tie everything up with a neat bow, but I do need some of the MANY loose ends tied up. It's a bit like leaving a trail of breadcrumbs, expecting everybody to get so caught up in following the trail that they forget they don't care where the trail leads. 

I'll try the first few eps of Season 2, but season 1 was a big disappointment to me. Ironically, I didn't think the finale was anywhere nearly as resonant or thought-provoking as the pilot.

But beyond that, it's a show about hacking, about corporatization, about our rapidly changing, interconected, and volatile world. I finished the season last night, and have been reflecting on it today; I think the unreliable narrator does an important service to the story, since the fsociety solution is not black or white; if Elliot were a straight-up protagonist this would just be the movie "Hackers" or "Antitrust". His inner conflict mirrors the outer world: we hate some parts of it, definitely dont trust others, but also benefit from it in ways that are hard to disentagle from the "bullshit". Part of me would love such a hack because I find our world distressing, and part of me would hate it because, well, I have a mortgage and stocks.

I appreciate that you've offered a believable way to look at how all the threads may tie together, but for me, it just doesn't work. The character threads and storylines were very clumsily integrated for me, and some I felt were too obvious for inclusion at all. I didn't need either Colby or Price to know about the worst excesses of capitalism, and I didn't need Gideon to know they weren't all bad, either. All the time spent on Angela, Darlene and Trenton was welcome, but I just didn't think they were well integrated into the tapestry of the story as a whole.

It's interesting, because she told Tyrell practically the opposite--that he's no longer someone she wants to be married to and that if he wants to go on being a part of her family he'll "fix this." How do you fix murder? The whole thing is a bit surreal.

I know! I don't understand that character, that storyline, its purpose, or its relevance. I thought the actor who played Tyrell was terrific in an often ridiculously difficult role, but I still don't quite think his character worked here. 

I like the show and a lot about it. At its best, it's smart and insightful and the actors are mostly terrific. I just didn't feel like this was a good finale and was very frustrated by the lack of cohesion and resolution.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 5

Coming very late to the party. Just finished with season 1.

This is some trippy show. I ended up watching the pilot and one episode on a night flight and got quite intrigued.

I liked it although it took me a while to get through it. It's hard to invest in people when half the time, you don't know if they are real, murderers, completely high or all of those things at the same time. Especially if you don't know why. I'm glad the dog seems to be ok although I'm not even a dog person. I was yelling at the therapist to throw something in the cheater's face.

Wonderful acting, weird enough plot to keep you intrigued and I was completely thrown by the sister reveal but at the same time I went Aha! that makes so much sense! While not a lot seemed to.

I'm still worried about what happened when Tyrell put the latex gloves on in Elliott's apartment. I was wondering for a while if Tyrell is another alternate personalty but it seems that would have been a bit too much. Also, why would Elliott imagine someone like this to hang around with? His dad I get even if he doesn't recognize him, American Psycho lite? God that movie put me off Christian Bale for years!

I think EvilCorp took care of Tyrell, maybe he will end up a scapegoat? He was on the fsociety movie clip, although the script sounded like it came from MrRobot dad. Or Elliott killed him. Or an alter ego we haven't met yet. And Joanna and Elliott, I was hoping for him to run but at least he did notice how she was trying to manipulate him. So, for once he knew who he was dealing with.

Overall, very creepy, terribly unsettling if your narrator is terribly unreliable, threatening people, hacking evil corporations and overall doesn't seem have a handle on life and reality at all, so it took me a while to get through the whole thing. So, I guess, off to slowly watching season 2 to find out who was at the door!

It feels like I should rewatch soon to see if and how the pieces fit together but right now, I like that the show pulled one over on me most of the time and I don't really want to nitpick and possibly find out that not everything worked as it should. But then, it's not really clear what should and should not be.

Btw., I'm glad Christian Slater is on a quality show again. I don't think he has a lot of range but I can never not be fascinated by him. And that's quite an achievement with Malek on the screen.

On 2/8/2016 at 7:03 AM, paramitch said:

I didn't get why they had the scene with Krista and the original dog owner in the beginning, and then nothing came of it.

My thoughts during that scene were: it shifts perspective on Elliott again. What Mr Cheating Douchebag sees is a potentially dangerous person and he wants to go after him. Out of mostly egotistical motives, but still, he had a point. Elliott was digging through people's lives like it's nothing. We saw it as funny and righteous, but it showed us what it feels like to a person when that happens. And the police is almost entirely helpless. So, not pointless at all for me.

Edited by supposebly
On 9/3/2015 at 10:32 AM, calliope1975 said:

I do think Joanna has met Elliot before, though, and she seems to know he has some mental lapses.

I got that sense too, that she knew Elliot from before. 

So who took the video of Elliott falling / jumping off the railing in Coney Island? The one he found in the sunglasses USB in Tyrell's car?

Hate Angela. She is so frustratingly passive, she is like a zombie. People yell at her and disrespect her to her face and she says / does nothing. The only time she actually told someone off it was a shoe salesman. I don't know if it's the actress or the writing or both. Now that she knows how psycho her boss is, why does she want to work for him? Is she really trying to take down Evil Corp from within? She seems way too powerless.

If White Rose wanted the hack to happen why did his group back out in the earlier episode? I'm interested to see what his agenda really is.

Loved the scene of an empty Times Square, and I wondered how they filmed it. Times Square has people in it at every hour of day and night, doesn't it?

I liked this show enough to definitely binge-watch season 2.