Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Alek Skarlatos: American Hero

• Start Topic

I don't think Alek is so bad considering he is young and has zero dancing and even zero performing experience.  I don't tune into this show to see people of professional quality, in fact I enjoy the newbies who improve a little every week and end up amazing - for amateurs, that is, not amazing for professionals, which would be a totally higher bar, IMO.  Plus he is a lot better than a lot of other stars who have endured well past this stage in the competition, IMO.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

Oops. TMZ is reporting that Emma accidentally hit him in the face and broke his nose. This guy can't catch a break, can he? I seem to remember Sharna doing something similar to Noah Galloway!

At this point I just hope he makes it through the rest of his time on DWTS unharmed/unhurt and no more sadness for him or those close to him. sheesh!

• Love 8

Oh nooooooo, that poor kid is falling under the "DWTS curse!"  I can't find any news as to whether he'll be performing tonight.  At this point I think they need to get a psychic to sage him or something because he's got a serious case of bad juju.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

At this point I think he needs to put the cursed monkey statue back in whatever tomb he found it in. 

I can't see him not performing because of a broken nose. They'll give him some painkillers and maybe tape it, and he'll be fine for tonight. Not the happiest he's ever been, but fine. 

• Love 2

There are a few more contestants that should leave before Alek

Ugh, with all this slobbering over him he'll be a finalist.  He can't dance  he's trying but that Paso was overscored and underdanced, hilariously put hand here walk over there, Uggh.  It's Victor Ortiz . 

• Love 1

Alek and Lindsay are such fun this season, as are he and Emma. Kind of like Bindi and whomever she's with, these and other "up" folks make it so entertaining for me!

Edited by just prin
  • Love 5

Alek and Emma did a lovely job tonight. It wasn't perfect but he showed a lot more emotion in the dance. That may have had something to do with his new partner, but he's showing gradual improvement every week. I hope he does make it to the semis at least. He's worth watching!

• Love 6

Ugh, with all this slobbering over him he'll be a finalist. He can't dance  he's trying but that Paso was overscored and underdanced, hilariously put hand here walk over there, Uggh. It's Victor Ortiz.

I totally disagree. That Paso wasn't perfect, but Alek did a much better job with his Paso than Gary Busey did with his, plus given that his school in Oregon was victimized by a shooting that week, it's a wonder he could dance at all, let alone do as well as he did. As for the dance being "overscored," if that were true, then he would've gotten 9s, not 8s. Alek's not a "perfect" dancer, but as his Rumba with Emma proved, he's getting better every week while other contestants like Paula, to name one, just keep getting worse. If Alek keeps improving, I predict that he'll not only make the Finals, he could actually win.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6

What a trooper this kid is, and here's hoping he gets into the finals.  You can't make this stuff up.  This is why I continue to watch this show.  All the BS I could do without.

By far he's the most "normal" of any other "star" this show has seen.  I'm amazed he's hanging on.  The show overwhelms people who've been in the public eye for decades.

• Love 7

I find Alek really appealing. He seems like a down-to-earth nice guy who just happens to be a hero and has dance talent nobody expected from him. He reminds me a bit of JR Martinez, another celeb that I didn't expect to care about but who became my favorite of the season.

I think he and Lindsay are a really good partnership, and I liked his dance with Emma a lot. I thought the possible romance was cute until Erin Andrews acted like a fourth-grader while talking to them after their dance.

I just hope his underscoring by the judges this week won't cause his elimination; if he gets sent home and Paula sticks around, there's no justice in the world, or maybe just the ballroom.

• Love 5

I was concerned about his scores too, especially when the judges were high scoring the dancers after him.  But with two nights of scores added together, I hope he isn't so close to the bottom over-all.  And I do hope he is getting the votes he needs to stay in.

• Love 4

I was concerned about his scores too, especially when the judges were high scoring the dancers after him.  But with two nights of scores added together, I hope he isn't so close to the bottom over-all.  And I do hope he is getting the votes he needs to stay in.

With the last two Mondays combined,, Alek is second from the bottom.  Paula is at the bottom but I don't know by how much.  I'm afraid that she has a lot of fans.  I hope she is the next one to go.  Tamar is third from the bottom and she shouldn't be the one to go either.  It better be Paula.

• Love 1

I was concerned about his scores too, especially when the judges were high scoring the dancers after him. But with two nights of scores added together, I hope he isn't so close to the bottom over-all. And I do hope he is getting the votes he needs to stay in.

He's 2nd from the bottom. 9 points ahead of Paula, and 3 behind Tamar with the 2 week total.

I'm not worried about the votes, I think he has them and I think TPTB want him to outlast at least Paula, Andy and one or both of the PenaVegas and possibly Tamar.

ETA: I can't decide in general if Lindsay's lack of popularity as a pro will hurt Alek in votes or not when it comes down to crunch time.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 1

He's 2nd from the bottom. 9 points ahead of Paula, and 3 behind Tamar with the 2 week total.

I'm not worried about the votes, I think he has them and I think TPTB want him to outlast at least Paula, Andy and one or both of the PenaVegas and possibly Tamar.

ETA: I can't decide in general if Lindsay's lack of popularity as a pro will hurt Alek in votes or not when it comes down to crunch time.

Hopefully Tamar will go and Alek will stay.

And why do you think Lindsay has a "lack of popularity as a pro"?  I do not recall reading any negative press about her and really have seen nothing but praise for the work she has done with Alek.  But perhaps I have missed something.

• Love 2

Nothing bad about Lindsay at all, I just mean tenure wise. There is a certain group of fans out there who vote for a particular pro at all costs regardless of their partner and she doesn't have as large of a fan base on her own.

Edited by CED9

I think [Alek] and Lindsay are a really good partnership, and I liked his dance with Emma a lot. I thought the possible romance was cute until Erin Andrews acted like a fourth-grader while talking to them after their dance.

ITA, re the last point. Erin Andrews' post-dance interview with Alek & Emma was so bad that I cringed on their behalf. However, I think that Alek & Emma's chemistry during their Rumba was so hot that not even Erin could ruin it.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

Much as I would've loved to give Nick & Sharna and Andy & Allison a vote or two this week, all of my votes went to Alek and Lindsay. I thought he did work on his facial expressions this week, and while they were still not perfect, he is trying so hard. Also, he keeps nailing Lindsay's choreography IMO, and she is choreographing routines with a lot of content. Alek is actually having to dance. And for someone who has never ever danced before, he continues to impress me from week to week. And I think this is now two weeks in a row where he has been underscored. I really want Alek to stick around a while longer. So while I'm sure the 9 Facebook votes I'm allowed to cast (from Canada, yo) don't matter much, I hope they help somewhat.

I thought Alek's pre-dance Elvis package was adorable and funny .

• Love 4

I think he had an especially difficult task this week.  Take someone who not only has no dance experience but no acting or performing experience and ask him to portray The King!  He may not have nailed it, but I think he did quite well, considering.

• Love 5

I think he had an especially difficult task this week.  Take someone who not only has no dance experience but no acting or performing experience and ask him to portray The King!  He may not have nailed it, but I think he did quite well, considering.

If only the judges saw it that way :(

Alek and Lindsay were on Access Hollywood Live! 

http://www.accesshollywood.com/videos/dwts-alek-skarlatos-lindsay-arnold-take-on-elvis/

Pretty good and funny interview. They are both so adorable and charming. (And Alek is hot. OK. That's enough of that.) They were not happy this the scores from this week. (I don't blame them.) And they also talk about their dance for next week, and about the "Emma situation".

• Love 2

I know a lot of people are unhappy that Alek is still in this, and that better dancers are leaving before him, and they blame the grammas, the conservatives, the whole hero thing.  But the reason I like him - and I am not a gramma or a conservative - is not because he is a hero, but because he is "just a regular guy".

Here is someone who  is not a singer, actor, entertainer in any way, learning not only to dance but to perform.  I can only imagine myself trying to embody the spirit of - well, whoever the female equivalent of Elvis is - as well as learn the dance.  I can relate to him.

In a show that is full of  actors, singers, sports figures, skaters, gymnasts, people who are used to performing, people who are used to media attention, people who are used to putting in the kind of hours and work that are required for this show, Alek is just a regular person.  He is not one of the best dancers, but he is doing remarkably well under the circumstances.  I enjoy watching his journey, and for me he adds a bit more interest to the show because he is not just another entertainer.  No doubt he will be out soon, but I am glad he has gotten as far as he has.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 13

I guess cause I have never, ever thought of DWTS as a "who is the best dancer" show, I'm fine with lesser dancers staying around.  If I wanted to watch the best dancers being rewarded, I'd watch competitive ballroom dancing.

Good luck to Alek as he continues on.   I hope he has enjoyed the experience.  And spends his stipend wisely!

• Love 7

Still hearting Alek. He epitomizes what the show should be about:  seeing someone who's not super famous nor a great dancer ( at least, not in ballroom) challenging themselves and improving every week, or at least trying to.  As if Alek hadn't endured enough already before doing the show, as in becoming famous for stopping another Paris-based terrorist attack, between the school shooting, his almost getting a broken nose and one of his best friends almost getting killed, it's a wonder he's lasted this long. No wonder Alek wanted to let off steam on the Disney cruise last week. With all the stress he's dealt with for the past few months, he needed all the down time he could get. On top of that, last Friday's Paris attacks will probably affect him, too. Hopefully, Alek can use his emotions this to give his best performance yet, because if ever there's been a time for Alek to do it, it's now.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I think Alek and his two friends are destined to effect some positive change well beyond this dance show. They have a platform and I believe that Alek and co. will use it wisely for the greater good.

Too airy fairy? Maybe, but they seem like really great guys and want to sincerely help mankind.

• Love 5

I thought of Alek this weekend.  The Paris attacks reminded me of how many lives he and his friends saved during their train ride.  I have no doubt that he probably wished he could have helped just like he wished he might have had a chance to stop the college shootings.

• Love 3

For being submerged in an environment he is totally unfamiliar with, and the stress that  comes along with being on DWTS, I think he has handled himself quite well.  He's been a good sport about going along with things like having his chest waxed and going out on the street dressed as Elvis.  He did have a bad day with the judge's scores of the Elvis dance, but I can understand that.  He thought he had nailed the performance - but, not being an actor, he did not understand the difference between *imitating* Elvis, which is just surface, and *embodying* Elvis, which is much deeper and is what the judges were looking for.  When Artem showed him the difference, he understood and admitted he had been wrong.

Since, as we all know, this show is not really about being the best dancer but about viewers liking one dancer more than another, and voting for them for their own reasons, I am not surprised he is still in it - and frankly, since I like him a lot better than I like Carlos, I wouldn't be unhappy if he made the finals.

• Love 3

Looks like Alek not only stepped it up in the Semi-Finals, he did his best dances yet. His Waltz with Lindsey was beautiful and his AT Trio with Lindsey & Emma was hot. The Cha-Cha Dance-Off against Carlos wasn't Alek's best, but his other two dances were still better than Carlos'.  Alek rose to the occasion at just the right time.

In other news, Alek, Spencer and Anthony are featured in People Magazine's annual "Sexiest Man Alive" issue, which hits newsstands Friday.

• Love 2

Alek was great in the Finals. While his Do-Over dance should have been the Paso Doble instead of the Rumba, I thought Alek did a great job with the latter. IMO, Alek & Lindsay's Freestyle was the best. It was clever without being pretentious, original without being confusing and powerful without being manipulative-unlike, say, Bindi & Derek's Freestyle, where the picture of Bindi's late dad just happened to show up at the end.

Given who he is, how much he's done before DWTS and how far he'll go in the future, as far as I'm concerned, Alek's a winner whether he's got the trophy or not.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

Lifts are a major part of contemporary dance, as well as Argentine tango.  This was just a freestyle, not particularly contemporary, but lifts do count as dance.  And a large part of the male role in dance is to "present" his female partner, which is what the lifts are about.

I thought it suited him

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1

I applaud Alek for his heroism,as well as his guts to dance on DWTS, however he is in no way one of the true best 3 dancers of this seasons show, popularity should only take a person so far on this show, because it is still a dance contest, isn't it?  He should have been sent packing weeks ago,the rules of this show desperately need an overhaul, because it isn't fair to a star that is not as popular as another but a far better dancer to be sent packing before these dancing HACKS!

He wasn't one of the best dancers, but people liked him, and in the end, people vote for who they like.  That has always been the case with this show.  It is framed as a dance contest, but people vote for contestants for all different reasons, and many of those reasons have nothing to do with dance ability.  It's just a show for fun; it's not really that important who wins, except to those who get emotionally invested in their  favorite celebrity or pro.

I doubt that Alek will win, but I was glad to see him get as far as he has.

• Love 9