Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Alek Skarlatos: American Hero

• Start Topic

ITA. Given what Alek's been through, especially last week, it's a wonder he can still dance at all. The paso wasn't his best dance, but he did the best he could under the circumstances,  the judges scored him appropriately and gave him good advice about channeling his emotions into future routines. If Alek keeps improving, I can easily see him making at least the Semi-Finals.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I think Alek contained his emotions.  If he put his full anger/frustration towards that dance, Lindsay would have flew across that room.  You can tell when he was talking to the judges and Erin, his mind was elsewhere.  He did a good job considering everything that has happened.  

• Love 2

His facial expression fit for the Paso Doble IMO.

Admittedly, I don't know much (aka anything) about dancing, but I thought the paso doble was supposed to be kind of a stoic and serious dance. So I too thought the facial expression fit. I could not be happier that Lindsay is his partner. It looks like she was there for him this week, and helped him though it. They are an amazing partnership. (So not looking forward to the switch up next week...) And I thought they delivered a great dance. As spanana said, there was a lot of content in it, and he continues to impress. Especially the whole "walking across the floor on his knees" thing. My jaw dropped. 

I'm worried that the judges underwhelming response might hurt him. Hopefully not, because I really want to see Alek headed for the finals. 

• Love 4

Adork....agree completely. No one has really mentioned this but am I the only one who thinks that Alek is drop dead handsome. I hope he doesn't go out with any of those dancing girls as has been suggested, well last week re Alek's tango. This guy needs to get to some kind of normalcy. Think.....Afghanistan, the trip to Paris and then this shooting. He will need some PTSD counseling and I'm sure he'll be fine. He's just so cute.

Sus.

• Love 1

A bit OT--at one point, Alek was trying to reach "Ashley" and the caption said the call went straight to her voicemail. Did we ever find out if Ashley was OK?

In the GMA clip up thread he says everyone that he personally knows turned out to be okay. 

• Love 1

Adork....agree completely. No one has really mentioned this but am I the only one who thinks that Alek is drop dead handsome. I hope he doesn't go out with any of those dancing girls as has been suggested, well last week re Alek's tango. This guy needs to get to some kind of normalcy. Think.....Afghanistan, the trip to Paris and then this shooting. He will need some PTSD counseling and I'm sure he'll be fine. He's just so cute.

Sus.

Yes he is drop dead gorgeous!  That was the first comment I made in this thread.  Not only is he outwardly handsome, but he is a good guy on the inside too.

• Love 2

From the episode thread:

Did Alek really say this in his intro package?

"My most memorable year is 2015. It's by far the best year I've had."  Then he talks about being deployed in Afghanistan and being on DWTS and "all the crazy things that have happened in between" and how going back to college got thrown out of the window because he's famous now and "and all the accolades and awards I've received and the year's not even over yet so it's by far the best year of my life."

Really Alek?  You were in a war and then you were in a terrorist attack. These are not good things.  And not things to be celebrated. Yes, we can applaud your heroism, and we do, but a true hero quietly walks away.  A true hero doesn't celebrate a tragedy as being one of the best things to ever happen to him.

Let's not forget what the underlying reason was for the actions that Alek and his friends took.  A band of vicious mass murderers attempted to kill a trainload (or more) of people.

I completely agree.  He seems like a very nice young man, but the above encapsulates what I think is what is at the crux of my issues with him.  Yes, he did a very heroic, brave and honourable thing to help take down that gunman.  But now he is "famous" for being in the right place at the wrong time.  I'm sad to hear that because he is "famous" he said he had to drop out of school.  What?  Why?  So he can fly around the world and meet Obama and collect all these awards and accolades?

I agree with you that a true hero doesn't try and take advantage of his actions to cash in.  "Thank you, but I just did what anyone else would have done" is what a true hero would say.  So DWTS comes calling, and now it seems to me that he thinks he is "famous" so can just ride out the "fame".  At least they had his two friends in his video package.  But I kind of resent the fact that out of the three, he seems to have gotten chosen for DWTS and becoming "famous" because he is the best looking of them.  Every report I have read of the attack says that Alek said "Spencer, GO!!!!" and Spencer Stone was the one that tackled the gunman.  

Did they even ask Spencer Stone if he wanted to be on the show?  Because he seems to have been the one who most risked his life.  He got shot in the process.  But no DWTS for him because his friend happens to be better looking.

• Love 1

Did they even ask Spencer Stone if he wanted to be on the show?  Because he seems to have been the one who most risked his life.  He got shot in the process.  But no DWTS for him because his friend happens to be better looking.

I don't think it's a big conspiracy. CNN reported that Spencer Stone got stabbed and suffered injuries to his head and neck and almost had his thumb sliced off and underwent reattachment surgery. He spent time in a French hospital and then was transferred to Ramstein for further treatment. I don't think he was in the best shape to be part of a dance show a month later.

They picked Alek because he was current, he was part of the military, and he was able. His looks might have been an added bonus, but I don't think it was the main reason.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 4

I think he is the whole package... good looking, modest, heroic and a good dancer to boot. I don't get the fame seeking vibe from him at all. They asked and he accepted. I hope this experience helps with his personal growth and recovery. I'm sure when this is over( hopefully not before the finals) he will go on to get his degree in law enforcement and will make an outstanding police officer some day. I would definitely trust him in a dangerous situation. What a stud!

• Love 5

I saw a bit on CNN about the three boys right after Alek had been asked. Spencer was still injured and was going through physical therapy at the time. Anthony didn't really say much about Alek being asked over him, but did quip that he (Anthony) was the better dancer and that of course he supports Alek. Anthony is a civilian and didn't have the military background that Alek has, so I'm assuming that's why Alek got the nod. Alek did say that Noah Galloway called him up specifically to convince him to join the show, pushing the military angle.

• Love 5

Did they even ask Spencer Stone if he wanted to be on the show?  Because he seems to have been the one who most risked his life.  He got shot in the process.  But no DWTS for him because his friend happens to be better looking.

Just to add to what others have said, but not only did Spencer's injuries make it impossible even if DWTS had him in mind but Spencer was a guest on Jimmy Kimmel by himself and got a new car and Jimmy brought put his favorite basketball player to meet him so he's definitely gotten perks as well. In fact I would bet anything that was more meaningful for him than DWTS.

• Love 3

I really like Alek. He's got a surprising amount of natural talent and is a really likeable guy who's working hard.

I don't imagine he's going home anytime soon, and I hope he lasts to the point when they get to redo a dance. I hope he gets to redo this one, because I think he'd have been awesome had he not been dealing with tragedy this week.

• Love 4

I think when he talked about 2015 being his best year, he volunteered to serve his country and was justifiably proud to have done so when he was deployed to Afghanistan.  He wasn't just in the right place at the right time on that train, he was the right person in the right place at the right time with the ability and courage to make a difference in saving a lot of lives.  He's received accolades and awards he probably never dreamed of ever receiving and is being given opportunities he never imagined.  Just what he's earned so far on DWTS will probably pay for all his college expenses, which I expect he will return to.  He seems to have strong attachments to his home and family/friends in Oregon.  Taking advantage of some opportunities while they are now being offered doesn't make him any less heroic in my book.

• Love 14

Again totally agreeing. Based on what I've seen of him so far, Alek is a brave, modest, hardworking and compassionate young man. I don't believe for a second that he, Spencer and Anthony did what they did on the train just to get attention, nor do I begrudge them for taking any positive opportunities that come their way. They may be getting more attention, but that doesn't make them fame whores. I would much rather see someone of Alek's caliber on this show, who's actually accomplished something with their lives and IMO deserves to be famous, than, say Kim Kardashian or Bristol Palin.

• Love 11

Again totally agreeing. Based on what I've seen of him so far, Alek is a brave, modest, hardworking and compassionate young man. I don't believe for a second that he, Spencer and Anthony did what they did on the train just to get attention, nor do I begrudge them for taking any positive opportunities that come their way. They may be getting more attention, but that doesn't make them fame whores. I would much rather see someone of Alek's caliber on this show, who's actually accomplished something with their lives and IMO deserves to be famous, than, say Kim Kardashian or Bristol Palin.

Agreed.  Alek strikes me as an exemplary young man whom I would feel proud to have as a son or as a son-in-law (if I had ever had any children) or to whom I could point as a role model.  I think that in large measure is part of his appeal, alongside the fact that, as I have said before, he is the closest this show has ever come to casting a regular viewer, which means that a good part of the viewership can readily identify with him as well.  He may not win this competition, but I can see him going far into it, possibly even making the finals just on that alone (although it certainly doesn't hurt that he does have some natural dance ability).  I can also see that this will help open doors for him both with regard to his schooling and whatever career goals he may have (what boss wouldn't love to have someone with his work ethic for an employee?) -- and that's not a bad thing at all, in my opinion. 

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6

I don't think it's a big conspiracy. CNN reported that Spencer Stone got stabbed and suffered injuries to his head and neck and almost had his thumb sliced off and underwent reattachment surgery. He spent time in a French hospital and then was transferred to Ramstein for further treatment. I don't think he was in the best shape to be part of a dance show a month later.

They picked Alek because he was current, he was part of the military, and he was able. His looks might have been an added bonus, but I don't think it was the main reason.

Yes, that's probably the reason. And also maybe the other guys had better things to do (jobs, school, etc.)

But let's get facts right.  Spencer did not have "reattachment surgery."  His thumb was not detached. He had nerves and tendons severed but no bone damage and he was not at risk of losing the thumb. The risk was to losing feeling and mobility in the thumb.  He had surgery to repair the damaged tendon and nerve.

I think the story of the "reattachment" was spread because that's what Spencer said in the early days after the incident and early reports ran with this. Later reports cleared up exactly what happened and showed that he already had bandages off two weeks after the injury.

sources: http://www.people.com/article/airman-spencer-stone-recovering-after-paris-train-attack

But let's get facts right.  Spencer did not have "reattachment surgery."

My mistake, I just regurgitated what I read from CNN, most likely from an early article. Honestly, other than the initial coverage I didn't/don't follow the reports all that much.

More tragedy for Alek:   Its being reported by ABC news on twitter that Spencer Stone was stabbed last night in an incident in Sacramento.   

At this point, who knows if Alek will have the heart to finish this out.  

• Love 1

More tragedy for Alek:   Its being reported by ABC news on twitter that Spencer Stone was stabbed last night in an incident in Sacramento.   

This is really sad.  I hope Spencer is not seriously hurt and will recover soon.

• Love 1

I can't imagine the heartbreak Alek must be going through right now.  I only hope and pray that he can stay strong no matter what he decides to do with regard to the show.

While I would definitely miss him, I would also completely understand if he just felt it was too much for him right now and decided to withdraw, as I'm sure many of his true fans would also understand.  I would, however, also hope that the producers would leave the door open for him to come back someday for a "second chances" season if he did choose to withdraw now.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6

Just came here to post this as well. Here's the article that People has about it: http://www.people.com/article/spencer-stone-french-train-attack-hero-stabbed-california

The hits just keep coming for Alek. How gut wrenching and sad :( Thoughts and prayers go out to Spencer and his family, and hoping he recovers soon. 

ETA:

I can't imagine the heartbreak Alek must be going through right now.  I only hope and pray that he can stay strong no matter what he decides to do with regard to the show.

While I would definitely miss him, I would also completely understand if he just felt it was too much for him right now and decided to withdraw, as i'm sure many of his true fans would also understand.  I would, however, also hope that the producers would leave the door open for him to come back someday for a "second chances" season if he did choose to withdraw now.

Absolutely to all of this. I would be really sad if he left the show, but it would be completely understandable. This would be hard for anyone, but most of the celebrities on this show are entertainers of some sort, and are used to performing. It’s likely easier for them to have a “the show must go on” mentality. But Alek is literally just a normal guy. And to be living the tragedy he went through last week, and now this in the spotlight must make these awful situations even MORE awful for him. Yes he is brave, and yes he is a trooper, but the end of the day, this show is so insignificant. And I think no one would fault Alek for stepping away from it all…

Edited by AdorkableSars
  • Love 7

I just read about this on CNN and it's just unbelievable that this guy would have to suffer so much. As for Alek.....I hope, sincerely, that he continue with DWTS. For me, personally, he's my favorite in the competition. He didn't look so glad to be there this past Monday night and it's completely understandable. I imagine he will have a conversation with Spencer that might go something like this....."Alek, stay with it. There's nothing you can do for me but you can represent and win DWTS. I'll see you when you get finished over there and we'll talk then." I'm sure he's speaking with Spence several times a day. If he does choose to leave, it's completely understandable. I just hope he doesn't. He's been a real delight on that sagging show.

Sus.

• Love 4

Alek has been my favorite in the competition so far, and while I'd understand if being on a dancing show suddenly felt to him like an inappropriate thing to be doing, I'd hope he might stick with it out of an obligation to Lindsay if not to the show. She has a reasonable shot at getting to the finals if he keeps working as hard as he's been, and there would be a cost for her in payment, visibility, and opportunity if he bowed out (not that she wouldn't be supportive, but this is her livelihood). He seems like the kind of guy who might keep going and trying his best for that reason if nothing else. The burden will be on the show then not to do anything exploitive. Not sure they have that in 'em, but hope so.

• Love 1

"Alek has been my favorite in the competition so far, and while I'd understand if being on a dancing show suddenly felt to him like an inappropriate thing to be doing, I'd hope he might stick with it out of an obligation to Lindsay if not to the show. She has a reasonable shot at getting to the finals if he keeps working as hard as he's been, and there would be a cost for her in payment, visibility, and opportunity if he bowed out (not that she wouldn't be supportive, but this is her livelihood). He seems like the kind of guy who might keep going and trying his best for that reason if nothing else. The burden will be on the show then not to do anything exploitive. Not sure they have that in 'em, but hope so."

I agree. I think it comes down to Lindsey as this is her second chance as a DWTS pro and the first take was not cool. Alek and she have been described as a power couple and I see it as well. I've had a bad headache today and have other things to do but I just have to go with my feeling that Lindsey and Alek have a real connection. Thinking about it, I don't think he would let her down.

Sus.

Oh, he seriously needs to make that trip to Paris after this gig is over.

Edited by sueponine
  • Love 1

Poor, poor Alek. After the last couple of weeks he's had, if he wanted to quit, I wouldn't blame him. He, Spencer & their families are in my prayers. However, if Alek does choose to stay, I think that he would use his pain as motivation to fight even harder than ever to win, which would make me & possibly the nation, root for him even more. Either way, Alek has my support.

Oh, he seriously needs to take that trip to Paris after this gig is over.

Yep, and take cutie Emma with him!!

Last I heard, Emma's with Sasha Farber, who competed with Nicole "Snooki" Paluzzi (sp?) several seasons ago.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

Alek is still in, and it's also his birthday today. (Happy Birthday Alek) Emma seems like a good one to have around during a tough week. 

Happy Birthday to Alek! And for sure...she's been posting some gorgeous scenery pictures of Oregon on Instagram, and posted a really cute picture this morning of a cake that they surprised Alek with at rehearsals this morning. She seems like a really sweet, caring, positive person. Probably helping him a lot. (Although Lindsay seems as sweet as Emma. And she also posted a really sweet birthday message to Alek on Instagram today.)

• Love 1

Really dumb question but I need help. I live in Kentucky, EST. Can anybody tell me what network/channel Srictkly Come Dancing appears on. I have never seen that show and I would like to watch it I think. I just don't know where to find it and I've tried. Thanks. Oh, and I'm an Alek fan to the last.

Sus.

I don't think Alek is the type of person to quit the show over the recent events - I think his character is to stick it out no matter what.  His public comments have been supportive of Spencer but despite the strain on himself I think he would be more inclined to want to show determination in the face of adversity, just like he did on that French train.  He's a brave kid; I would be surprised if he backed out.

• Love 2

Last I heard, Emma's with Sasha Farber, who competed with Nicole "Snooki" Paluzzi (sp?) several seasons ago.

She and Sasha used to date but split up about a year ago. Unless they've recently rekindled something and are keeping it quiet.

I'm glad that Alek has Emma with him for the switch-up. She seems like such an encouraging, positive person to be around.

• Love 1

Ugh, not another douchebaggy showmance.

I'm not a big showmance fan either, but since it's Alek & Emma, two likable people whom I like, if it happens and if done right, I think they could be great together.

• Love 2

A showmance is IMO when two people purposely play up any hint of romance so its all done to get people talking (Kim and Robert ended up being the real deal last season) but I dont see Alek or Emma doing anything like that. If something is brewing I can't see either of them flashing it in front of the cameras.

• Love 4

Of course it's for votes. People aren't stupid, just blind sometimes. I mean the guy is a shit dancer, he's a forklift and that's about it.  They have to do something to get him into the finals. I hate suffering through more bullshit, I wish the show was about dancing. 

Edited by Andie1

I think that Alek's dancing abilities place him in the upper middle of the pack.  Part of that is because I don't think that the majority of the stars this season are particularly good dancers.  He was forklifty in the contemporary but has shown promise in the other dances. The judges have pointed out that he's able to do some of the difficult steps that are in the dances.  

He isn't on the same level as Tamar, but I think he is doing well for someone with no prior dance experience. I'm not saying Tamar has any prior dance experience, just that she is probably the best technical dancer on the show.  Alek isn't a Bristol or using nostalgia to to propel him forward. He's a good guy and better dancer than the majority of people on this season's show.

I honestly don't need a showmance this season and would prefer they stick to Alek and Lindsay's partnership. Good for Alek and Emma if they do have something going, keep it off screen.  Neither Emma or Alek seem like they are the type to play up a showmance, guess we'll see tonight.

• Love 3

IMO, I think Tamar, Nick, Alexa and Carlos all have had some type of dance experience, whether they have admitted it or not. I agree Alek has done a pretty good job for someone with no experience. I don't really find him entertaining, but different strokes for different folks. If he is dating Emma, then good for them. They both seem like nice people.

I'm sorry but the show sets the bar really low when someone like Alek has "promise" They said the same thing about the Shark Tank guy but enough was enough. The guy is so mechanical he's laughable. 

Edited by Andie1

Having natural dance ability is important and it's up to the contestant and pro to build upon it. There have been many stars who people thought would be great on the show and they had no rhythm or couldn't remember the dance. He's not a Maya or Corbin, but he's not stomping up the dance floor. He had one dance where he did lifts. Good dancers are always a delight to watch, but I don't want to watch a bunch of ringers who have had decades of experience.  

IMO Alek hasn't overstayed his welcome. Lindsay choreographs for the dance assigned and he performs it well.  He is heads above those who've been eliminated.  Kim, Gary Busey, Victor, and Chaka Khan were pretty awful. There are a few more contestants that should leave before Alek is even thought of to go. Again IMO. 

I agree that dance should take priority in the competition. Revamp the scoring so that there are points for artistry, technical proficiency, and whether they did the actual dance assigned. TPTB want to draw people in with old favorites or current celebs so personality and audience connection will always be part of it. 

• Love 6