Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Tamar Braxton: Dancing All The Way Home

• Start Topic

This show is horrible.  Interesting she's not getting the Mel B edit.  Mel B got high scores and led most of the season, as did Nastia last year.  No this edit is dirty. Making her say something that they know they will use against her, but pretending it was part of everyone saying it was just brutal.  And she's getting low scores.  How on earth can you compare that lovely Foxtrot to the stomping around Nick did for the AT?  And they got the same score.   She'll be gone soon and so will I.  I am not going to sit around and wait for some immature kid with mediocre dance skills who is not in the good books with animal activists fart another rainbow to a win.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 3

Well it's fine for a man (Alek) to shoot off his mouth and his butt gets kissed, but God forbid a woman (Tamar) say anything, or they get the death knell edit. She's probably gone next week. This show sucks and good for Tamar for calling them out.

• Love 5

Re: Press line; She wasn't annoyed, she was sick. She probably skipped it because she had no voice and couldn't speak to answer any questions. She came to film for the Real the day after but was too sick so they sent her home. She missed 3 episodes...and even if she was in a huff about DWTS, there is no way she would miss the Real, a show she is the EP on and she genuinely enjoys doing.

Maybe.  But it looks like Tamar also skipped the press line last night too.  I'm not saying I blame her, but you can't really say she skipped it last night for being sick.

Who really gives a crap if Tamar is in a press line?  She danced well. That's all anyone should care about. The rest of the stuff a vast majority of the audience doesn't see or care.   

• Love 1

I wonder if she's getting votes because viewers are turned off by the negative edit? I gave her a bunch of my votes last night, partly because of the edit and partly because she's been one of my favorite dancers since the beginning.

• Love 1

I wonder if she's getting votes because viewers are turned off by the negative edit? I gave her a bunch of my votes last night, partly because of the edit and partly because she's been one of my favorite dancers since the beginning.

Probably some, because that's what I did. :)  I usually don't vote and haven't voted at all this season, but I was upset at the scores for both Tamar and Alexa, so I voted for both of them, just because. 

• Love 1

I watched the routine and I'm so sorry. All 3 of them did NOT see any missed out of sync parts. If it were that obvious the people in the booth would have seen it, and replayed it.

Specifically, I don't think Carrie Anne saw it. Bruno cosigned Julianne and was almost able to describe where in the routine it happened, but something about the way Carrie Anne piggybacked on it just seemed fake and petty to me. That weird ass non complement about how you are the best dancer in the competition, but it's about improvement....like she didn't just say Tamar improved in hold.

Grr.

• Love 3

There weren't any missed parts...the judges saw that package and decided to pull some critiques out of their a**

Funny thing is, although I don't think tamar will win, didn't even think so at the beginning bc of the general dwts audience not be her core aduience....I do think this edit will actual backfire and anger her fans into voting.

I still see her staying pass andy and the penavegas bc of that...I saw a lot gen dwts he 'dislike' this manufactured attitude, but I also saw a lot of fans angered at the manipulation and her treatment this whole season

• Love 1

Technically and more entertaining than some chubby annoying manic kid absolutely.

If she is, then great. But I wouldn't count on it. This show is really not very kind to black women.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

I think Tamar seems like a strong, intelligent woman, and a proficient dancer.

But she doesn't exude charisma that makes me compelled to vote for her.

That said, she is totally getting the shit-edit of the season, and Val is a terrible, terrible, ,TERRIBLE partner for her.

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 1

I wonder what Tamar would have been like if she were partnered with someone like Mark or Derek, pros who work on technique AND performance.  Derek is known for drilling the celebrity dancer so that the routine becomes ingrained in their muscle memory allowing the celebrity dancer to concentrate on the performance value during the live show.

Val is a strong, strong technical teacher and his celebrity pros usually end up with very good technique if somewhat lacking in performance value (which is odd because Val himself his quite charismatic when he dances).

• Love 2

I don't understand the comments. I think Tamar hit all the right nuances in People are Strange, and had some excellent facial expression and movement.  Despite the inarticulate judges,  it was by far my favorite dance of the evening.  

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

I think Tamar seems like a strong, intelligent woman, and a proficient dancer.

But she doesn't exude charisma that makes me compelled to vote for her.

That said, she is totally getting the shit-edit of the season, and Val is a terrible, terrible, ,TERRIBLE partner for her.

I wonder what Tamar would have been like if she were partnered with someone like Mark or Derek, pros who work on technique AND performance.  Derek is known for drilling the celebrity dancer so that the routine becomes ingrained in their muscle memory allowing the celebrity dancer to concentrate on the performance value during the live show.

Val is a strong, strong technical teacher and his celebrity pros usually end up with very good technique if somewhat lacking in performance value (which is odd because Val himself his quite charismatic when he dances).

I think Val is the best overall teacher for Tamar. She has a lot of things on her plate and Val uses the time that she has wisely. The week that she had rumba, she was also promoting her CD. Even with the travel, Tamar did well.  I don't hold Val completely accountable for his partner's performance value - you can't really teach that.   Danica was a good dancer, but even as an actress, she didn't have performance value in the Latin dances. Janel had performance value, but she didn't have good techinique no matter how Val pushed. The partnership with Elizabeth Berkley should have worked, but she was in her own head. 

As someone who plays the piano, muscle memory/memorization and performance are not separate. You really learn the them together - musicality.

Edited by Avidviewer
  • Love 1

When a show dictates what is good and what isn't there's really not much anyone can do to change that. Len who was trained in International syllabus as I was and was one whom I mostly agreed with, seemed to at least hold up a standard that wasn't dependant on ratings. Now that he's gone it feels like the judging is pandering to an outcome.  Len wouldn't do that, at least in the earlier years.  To say Val is or isn't the best teacher is nonsense. He's a great teacher, and even if we only see technique being drilled, it seems to me he also pulls out performance wherever possible.

My beef is all of the teachers seem to be pandering to a narrative and it's more blatant this year than others.  Being resigned to an outcome instead of really guiding a contestant on a journey is a sad turn of events and it makes watching this show pretty unbearable.  

Ratings will only turn around if the show actually respects Ballroom and Latin dancing.  They have watered it down and even brought in people with little qualifications in ballroom or latin to teach, so it's no wonder it's losing viewership.  It would have been nice to at least respect the demographic that enjoys this show for what it was not for the mishmash it's turned into. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 5

Carrie Ann Inaba is one stupid judge.  When she critiqued Tamar on the show she said "for sure she was out of sync"  and yet in her blog she said nothing about it, she talked about Tamar's arms instead. Pathetic. They just make shit up.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Derek us a fantastic choreographer and very creative but the one thing I don't think is his stron suit is getting the greatest expressivity out if his partners.

I actually think that is one of Val's strong suits ironically

I saw this article about sexism in partner dancing, and I thought of Tamar and how she might have viewed the whole approach to ballroom dance, and how really we just accept the way it is.  When you get people on this show from all areas of life and expect them to just be in lock step with the inherent sexism of ballroom, it can be difficult. and yet beyond her questioning she has produced some really great dances

http://rebeccabrightly.com/men-understand-sexism-partner-dancing/

Tamar was fantastic in the paso with Val. She really does need to be final 3. I was happy that Val called out the editing of her packages.

And I wondered if she got the pimp spot to make up for the judges' treatment of her last week.

Whatever. I thought she was also on fire in the danceoff.

And when I tried to vote for her by phone, I got a busy signal for about five minutes. Seemed like a good sign that she's racking up viewer votes.

• Love 2

Tamar was fantastic in the paso with Val. She really does need to be final 3. I was happy that Val called out the editing of her packages.

And I wondered if she got the pimp spot to make up for the judges' treatment of her last week.

Whatever. I thought she was also on fire in the danceoff.

And when I tried to vote for her by phone, I got a busy signal for about five minutes. Seemed like a good sign that she's racking up viewer votes.

This 100%. 

Tamar was absolutely, without question, the dance of the night for me and truly deserving of the pimp spot. I don't think any of the judges are consistent in their critiques of technique so I won't even bother with what constitutes perfect technique (especially comparing Nick's Contemporyish dance vs. Tamar's Paso). What made the dance so exciting for me is the dramatic tension between Tamar and Val. It was consistent throughout the dance and kept me on edge the entire time.

I appreciated the damage control that the producers allowed for Tamar and Val to do in the package...if for no other reason than it really showed how this non-showmance partnership is strong and supportive. It's so much more meaningful than the junk packages the producers were trying to sell early on.

As for the danceoff...I'm dumbfounded. While I can understand that Derek's superfans would throw their support to Mark (whose concept for their ATish partner dance I really liked, btw, even though it fell a bit short in the execution), I don't know how CAI could give the danceoff to Mark/Alexa with all the obviously missed steps from Alexa (unless, of course, it was a prearranged decision knowing that the Audience Vote would break a tie /eyeroll).

• Love 2

Well wouldn't the dance off's be the pimp spot?  I mean if we're talking about when audiences tune in, they are the last dances people see, and they make the most impression.  I'm guessing that Tamar and Val if they had the last of the main dances they would've danced around 9:40 which is past the half hour- who went before them?  Bindi?  Actually the team that  went at 9:30  has the most desirable spot, at the half hour for casual viewers just tuning in. So in reality the penultimate team  had the pimp spot when it comes to advertisers and audience measurement. 

Regardless, I think if Tamar and Val make it through from week 9 to week 10 then they have to be proud. They did it with no help from the judges or producers, unlike some of the others.

Edited by Andie1

The poll is useless. It accepts multiple votes - someone could sit there for hours just clicking one name over and over again and completely skew the results.

Not totally, it predicted the bottom 2. And I couldn't vote more than once, more votes have come in for others since the show. 

For the Tamar fans, this is where her schedule gets tricky.  Tamar has concerts Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week.  Friday is in Los Angeles, so that's not a big deal, but she's in Florida on Saturday and Sunday.  Plus they have these duet dances this week and she and Nick are supposed to go to Vegas for their inspiration.  So basically she and Nick have to be done with their duet dance by Friday and she will miss camera blocking on Sunday completely.  Unless she cancels a tour date, which isn't likely.  On top of whatever dance she is doing for her solo number.

For the Tamar fans, this is where her schedule gets tricky.  Tamar has concerts Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week.  Friday is in Los Angeles, so that's not a big deal, but she's in Florida on Saturday and Sunday.  Plus they have these duet dances this week and she and Nick are supposed to go to Vegas for their inspiration.  So basically she and Nick have to be done with their duet dance by Friday and she will miss camera blocking on Sunday completely.  Unless she cancels a tour date, which isn't likely.  On top of whatever dance she is doing for her solo number.

What is the concept for this week? What is a duet dance? Thanks!

Yes, but she missed 4 days when she didn't have to dance ballroom and only had one dance to compete.   She also didn't have to miss camera blocking day.  Presumably Tamar will have to take a red eye to LA on Sunday night.

I'm not sure if there is any theme to the solo dances this week, nor do I know what dance Tamar has.  However all the couples are doing a duo dance.  It is similar to S18 I believe where two couples get paired up and have to perform together.  Tamar is paired with Nick and all I know is at some point in the dance it is required that the two celebs dance with each other.

Also each duo has a theme.  Tamar/Val and Sharna/Nick have to go to Vegas to watch a show and then their dance has to be inspired by the show.  I'm presuming they won't be ballroom dances.  Bindi is paired with Alexa and they have to go to NY.  Alek is paired with Carlos and they have to go on a cruise?

"Celebrities, please name your icons:""

"Myself, what oh okay my sister Toni then."

Fish, you're just, too, too!!

Why did she say that her sister was her icon and then not use one of Toni's song for her dance?  

Why did she say that her sister was her icon and then not use one of Toni's song for her dance?  

If Toni doesn't own the rights to her music then it may not have been cleared in time. Also... can't really think of Toni song that would be good for a Paso, even though the song they did use was an odd choice as well. However... doing a Paso to "Unbreak My Heart" or "You're Making Me Hot" would have been flat out weird.

• Love 2

That's true. I guess they could have used a dance remix though but this way she got to honour two people in one dance: she and Gaga are friends thanks to Tamar's husband discovering Gaga.

Edited by anonymiss

Is Nick really "super famous"? I mean, among those who are not BSB fans?

No, but he is probably a lot more famous than Bindi, Alek, Carlos or Alexa. Most of the audience of dwts are middle aged women, and a lot of them were in their teens or 20s when the BSB were popular. It's sort of like how Alfonso was so popular on his season. I'm pretty sure he will win unless TPTB manipulate the outcome, which IMO would be hard to do.

• Love 1

Hmm...they have three men and three women. I wonder why they didn't just do Bindi with Carlos and Alek with Alexa?

It almost feels like they chose based on pros. Derek and Mark are best friends, Lindsay and Witney are best friends and Val and Sharna aren't best friends, but seem pretty tight.

Hmm...they have three men and three women. I wonder why they didn't just do Bindi with Carlos and Alek with Alexa?

Why? because they couldn't have something straight forward - wonder how it's going to be scored?  At least we know Tamar won't get any favours.  It should be opposite sex partners, otherwise we're getting another lopsided score.  For instance, let's say Tamar and Nick have the Salsa, and Sharna and Val decide to give them a trick sequence, or a lift,  that could go well or could be dangerous. Two dancers new to partnering without a pro always look rough because on this show they put a lot of trust in the pro to pull them through. When they have to rely on each other it's a whole new skill set.  Same sex partners won't have to do partner work, at least I've never seen it on this show.  The most they have to contend with is dancing in sync, or not, depending on what the pro gives them.  It sucks, because regardless if it works or not Nick is going nowhere while Tamar is on the chopping block.    

Edited by Andie1

Well Tamar is the best dancer IMO and if she goes, my interest in this season will go way down. It would really stink if she went before Alek. Funny how everyone harps on her attitude, but not his. I think there is a good chance that is happening though since they brought in his two hero friends last week to get people to vote for him. They aren't even being subtle who they want in the finals, are they?

• Love 2

This is cool. I didn't know that Tamar sang the background vocals in Gaga's "Born this Way" and she explains why she used that song in honor of both of them.

Wow the more I learn about this woman, the more I like her!  You go girl!! Such a shame we don't get to see this on the show, but that's this damn show's mo.

Edited by Andie1

It's a shame we don't see more of this Tamar on the DWTS show. She seems much more relaxed on that talk show, more open. 

It's amazing to see her show and how she talks about DWTS and then see the edit DWTS gives her.   I think since it's her show she's more comfortable with everything and in less of a competitor mode.

It's amazing to see her show and how she talks about DWTS and then see the edit DWTS gives her.   I think since it's her show she's more comfortable with everything and in less of a competitor mode.

I don't think that she's less of a competitor when she's off dwts, she's just not being edited to be a bitch like she is on dwts. I absolutely think she  said exactly why she chose Toni and Gaga on dwts on Icon night and the show chose not to air it. So it sounded odd, that she mentions Toni and in a split second her picture is down and she's singing Gaga..Of course it's weird, but from what we've seen from Tamar, it's certainly not Tamar's personality to not give credit to her sister in any meaningful way. And yet, dwts doesn't care or they don't want people to know just how interesting and diversified Tamar 's talent is or how much she cares for her sibling.. And that's why I think the REAL made sure people understood she's not some half baked flake who wouldn't dance to a sibling's song, but in fact singing vocals on Born This Way was the break that played a huge role in launching a  music career due in large part to Toni's mentoring and help.  That's super cool and a great reason to honor both her sister and Gaga.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

And of course the show made it look like she was dedicating the song to herself because she was her own icon. Blah.

Yep, If they want to maintain any credibility as a "reality show" because there's no hope to just enjoy dancing on this show, they fuck with it so much,  they should at least be honest and let people make up their minds about Tamar, not let their skewing of the facts make people's minds up for them. The sin of omission is as bad as a lie.

Edited by Andie1