Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Tamar Braxton: Dancing All The Way Home

• Start Topic

Reaction to the switch-up performance...

Putting Louis and Tamar first automatically means that she'll be getting 1-2 points lower than she normally would. That's pretty much true for anyone who goes first. The fact judges gave her and Paula the same score is just... mind blowing considering how difficult that choreograph seemed (and Paula barely moved in that Jive)...

Louis, I acutally really like Louis and was excited for their pairing. Saw a clip of him on The Real and it seemed like they got along well. 

I think the fact that he would give choreography that he would also give Karina is kinda like... bro I know you're excited to have a partner with dance ability but it's not like Tamar is Meryl or someone who has a background that would lend itself to really complicated choreography. That Samba just looked hard and to begin with Samba rolls is like... if you don't kill those then you're fighting and uphill battle. It's a shame that the choreography wasn't tailored to challenge her but also match her ability. 

My only hope is that Tamar uses this as motivation to come back killing it next week with Val. This should light a fire under her butt since people who have been middle of the road are now getting perfect scores. I'm excited to see what her and Val do next week. 

• Love 5

Yes it wasn't good. I wasn't surprised. I feel that with Val he would have taken into consideration steps she can actually do not just for technique sake but for cleanness of execution. Louis choreographed exactly what I expected him to do - hard technique. Her legs were too straight and she wasn't feeling her movements at all. It was the worst samba by a real female contender I have seen on the show. I generally love sambas and so Iook forward to it especially when done by real contenders. This was disappointing.

• Love 4

Nobody else has done this type of Samba on this show, except Monique Coleman. or Mya, both dancers by the way....So  Nobody.  So to blast Tamar is pretty unfair, considering no one on this show could even attempt this. 

She's going home so the haters are happy, but I'm out for this season. The rest of the cast is just too uninteresting.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

Not blasting Tamar at all. Switch-up always exposes the pro not the amateur. It reflects their teaching skills more than anything. Mya had a wonderful samba which was more difficult than what Tamar did. It wasn't the difficulty, it was just the technique. Those same steps will look simple in the hands of another more capable 'amateur'. So it's not the steps, it's the way they were executed. Louis taught technique without much considering how she looked doing those steps. Not her fault at all.

• Love 1

Putting Louis and Tamar first automatically means that she'll be getting 1-2 points lower than she normally would. That's pretty much true for anyone who goes first. The fact judges gave her and Paula the same score is just... mind blowing considering how difficult that choreograph seemed (and Paula barely moved in that Jive)...

The judges didn't give Paula and Tamar the same score; Paula scored lower (two points this week and ten points last week for a combined lower score of 12 points).  Also, the judges have said on numerous occasions that each contestant is rated against themselves so a 7 for Tamar is not the same as a 7 for Paula (I don't much like that thinking as the final total is not weighted so that Tamar's 7 counts higher in the standings boards).

The issue I have with Tamar is that from the neck down she is pretty fantastic (except last night when I thought she was a hot mess; off balanced, timid, uncertain, not having any fun, and clearly did not trust her partner) – from the neck up, she’s pretty awful.  She doesn’t look like she’s having fun, she doesn’t seem to connect to her partner, and she seemes disconnected from the dance movement/feeling.

I wish the Tamar that we sometimes see in the pre-dance package (fun, joking) would show up in her routines.

• Love 1

I still don't understand how anyone would compare Mya a dancer and choreographer to Tamar, a non dancer.  Not fair, this whole season has been a unsightly mess and it's over for me. I should have listened to my better instincts and not bothered this season, but Tamar's week one Quickstep was incredible, her Rumba best of the season, her Charleston amazing.  But nobody gives a damn about non-dancers really rising to the occassion, they just want people that make them feel good.  I don't play that nonsense.  I watch for talent.  The rest of this season is a bunch of talentless wannabees . It's too painful to watch. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

The judges didn't give Paula and Tamar the same score; Paula scored lower (two points this week and ten points last week for a combined lower score of 12 points).  Also, the judges have said on numerous occasions that each contestant is rated against themselves so a 7 for Tamar is not the same as a 7 for Paula (I don't much like that thinking as the final total is not weighted so that Tamar's 7 counts higher in the standings boards).

The issue I have with Tamar is that from the neck down she is pretty fantastic (except last night when I thought she was a hot mess; off balanced, timid, uncertain, not having any fun, and clearly did not trust her partner) – from the neck up, she’s pretty awful.  She doesn’t look like she’s having fun, she doesn’t seem to connect to her partner, and she seemes disconnected from the dance movement/feeling.

I wish the Tamar that we sometimes see in the pre-dance package (fun, joking) would show up in her routines.

For this week, JH and CAI gave Tamar and Paula the same score.  I know that they are graded based on their capability but I still feel that Tamar was underscored and Paula was overscored by those two.  I agree with Maks and Bruno on this one.  It didn't help that Tamar went first which also means that she will automatically get scored lower by the judges.

I agree with everything else you said and I blame that on Louis.  I think that he got too excited that he didn't have to choreograph for Paula so he got too ambitious.  Tamar did a lot of things well but she was also off balanced and didn't look comfortable.  You're also supposed to have fun when you do a samba.  Tamar didn't look like that and if a celeb doesn't look like they're having fun, then I'm not going to enjoy the dance either.

I did like Tamar in the quickstep and rumba.  With those dances, I noticed her expressionless face but it didn't bother me as much.  I'm hoping that Paula's fans don't keep her in the competition because she should be the next one to go.

• Love 4

I really think the majority of the fault lies with Louis here.  I do think Tamar was a tad underscored and she shouldn't be getting the same scores as Paula, but you also can't ignore a messy and not so great dance just because it was technically harder than what a lot of other celebs were doing.  The celebs live and die by their pros and that is no different here.  Because if we are playing that game then it's also blatantly unfair that Andy is suffering from having a pro that doesn't know ballroom well enough to teach it properly.  That's not his fault anymore than Tamar having to dance the routines she's dealt.

What I will agree with people on is I don't think the show has any use for Tamar.  They don't need Val to win again so soon since he already has his win and if the show was invested in her they would have her dance later in the show and give her better edits.  Or heck, since the show pretty much ignores switch up votes anyway they would have given her to Derek for the week as opposed to Louis.

But in terms of the samba, I think Louis just really overshot Tamar's capabilities and we've seen Louis do this in the past with other celebs.  I get what he was trying to do as it was what Val was also trying to do with Bindi, but he needed to dial back some.  Especially since Tamar already has some issues on the performance end with her facial expressions.

Tamar was pissed last night though so I think Val has his work cut out for him getting her back on track. 

• Love 4

In my opinion, Louis was given the script. Val was given the "she's a handful," wink wink at the camera script.  Let's not kid ourselves here.  This was orchestrated to get rid of Tamar once and for all. Watch while the black woman gets booted while the dithering racist cook stays on. It's demeaning and a big reason why I will permanently switch my viewing away from ABC.   

• Love 1

Thanks realdancemom, I was specifically referring to the 7's that Tamar and Paula received from CAI and Julianne. I know that they are rated on their personal journey but objectively speaking to give a dance like Tamar's and Paula's the same score doesn't make sense.

Louis bless his heart was overzealous and Tamar's performance suffered.

What Tamar does need to work on is her game face. First of all she looked pissed before the dance even started. Who knows if she actually was but if you look at the shot that was either before a commercial break of before their pre-package she did not look happy. I don't know if something happened or she had a bad dress rehearsal but she needs a poker face. At the end of the day you have to know what you signed up for. Even the best of the best had off weeks, Meryl, Zendaya, Sabrina etc. Take the criticism in good spirits, be pissed when the cameras aren't around, and play the game like we all know you have to. Like we've all said, it's a dance contest as well as popularity. You have a popular pro, you have your own fan base, now use this platform to grow upon that. I love Tamar, and I love Val so ultimately I want to see them in the finals.

It is a double elimination next week and I think we all know Paula is on her way out, who ever is with her is up in the air. To me it's either Tamar, Carlos, or Hayes. 

• Love 2

It is a double elimination next week and I think we all know Paula is on her way out, who ever is with her is up in the air. To me it's either Tamar, Carlos, or Hayes.

There's only a single elimination on Monday.

One elim means Paula goes and t remains. Alas in my book. Wonder how Val's reads? Oh for a peek!

I am with you on, Paula and Tamar gone.  Ah well, Paula next week works for me.   I think Val's book reads, I want to stay in an win but this is going to be an arduous journey. 

Bruno (I think) told Paula that the jive was to be done on your toes.  She said, "I didn't know that."  hmmmmm  Apparently Mark never mentioned it.  Maybe he sensed that was just not going to happen with her and let it go.  The amount of energy that takes is extreme.  The pros are always out of breath after a good snappy jive.  

Aleck was dazzled by Emma's beauty.  He could not believe he could handle her all over, all the time!  Just adorable. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

As a response to some of the Tamar conspiracy theories, has anybody considered that Tamar is in on the whole not getting to the end and winning thing?  I like Tamar, but hear me out.  This woman is busy and has a full schedule.  While she's done really well on DWTS up until this point, she already has some time constraint in terms of rehearsal.  For instance, for story week Val said he didn't start teaching her the dance until the Friday before the show.  This was largely because it was the week Tamar's album dropped so she had press and events to attend/do.  This week I know Tamar has a concert in NYC on Saturday night and I have no idea what else.  Starting at the beginning of November she will be heading out on tour with Mary J. Blige and she has concert dates all throughout the month, including on Sunday nights so she will have to miss Sunday camera blocking.  I assume it will have to work for her kind of the way it did for Meryl or Nastia.

I think Tamar came to this show to learn to dance, but I also think she came to get some free promo for her album.  She did that.  DWTS is far down her list of priorities IMO.  Which doesn't mean she isn't putting in the work, but I really don't think she cares that much about getting to the end and winning.  Even on social media Tamar rarely even really mentions DWTS except for on Monday nights, so she's not really playing the DWTS promo game either.

Also is it really a surprise that the producers may be putting their firepower into the celebs that will be more available to them as the season progresses?  I guess it's no different than Andy, but I don't think the producers are invsted him him either.  Get off the celebs that have time constraints on their schedules and hopefully keep the ones that will have time to fully invest in all the little DWTS games.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

As a response to some of the Tamar conspiracy theories, has anybody considered that Tamar is in on the whole not getting to the end and winning thing?  I like Tamar, but hear me out.  This woman is busy and has a full schedule.  While she's done really well on DWTS up until this point, she already has some time constraint in terms of rehearsal.  For instance, for story week Val said he didn't start teaching her the dance until the Friday before the show.  This was largely because it was the week Tamar's album dropped so she had press and events to attend/do.  This week I know Tamar has a concert in NYC on Saturday night and I have no idea what else.  Starting at the beginning of November she will be heading out on tour with Mary J. Blige and she has concert dates all throughout the month, including on Sunday nights so she will have to miss Sunday camera blocking.  I assume it will have to work for her kind of the way it did for Meryl or Nastia.

I think Tamar came to this show to learn to dance, but I also think she came to get some free promo for her album.  She did that.  DWTS is far down her list of priorities IMO.  Which isn't mean she isn't putting in the work, but I really don't think she cares that much about getting to the end and winning.  Even on social media Tamar rarely even really mentions DWTS except for on Monday nights, so she's not really playing the DWTS promo game either.

Also is it really a surprise that the producers may be putting their firepower into the celebs that will be more available to the them as the season progresses?  I guess it's no different than Andy, but I don't think the producers are invsted him him either.  Get off the celebs that have time constraints on their schedules and hopefully keep the ones that will have time to fully invest in all the little DWTS games.

I think you make very valid points. I don't think Tamar is playing the DWTS game, nor does she really care to. She doesn't post about it on Twitter or IG 95% of the time unless it's the day of the competition. She's had her partners on The Real however I think that's mutually advantageous. Plus I remember watching distinctly an interview with Access Hollywood of Val and Tamar was not there. The host made a point of making it clear that Tamar was supposed to be there and Val basically said he had no idea where she was but she's a busy woman so he understands. I think if Tamar for example was doing this 3 years ago when BFV was still her main platform of getting her name out there then she would be ALL ABOUT this show, but that's not the case anymore. She has BFV, Tamar and Vince, The Real, her album, and her son. 

Found it! 

However, as with most cases of this nature, we can't really ignore how the show has treated female contestants of color: Monique Coleman, Mya, Mel B, Brandy, were to all at varying extents treated very dismissively by the show despite talent. I leave out Wendy and Nene because they were't that great of dancers to begin with. I'm sure there may be other contestants I can't remember off hand however I have counter question. I think the biggest frustration for Tamar in terms of viewers that are airing grievances is that she is simply being added to the list of black female contestants that are getting a very targetted narrative on this show (unapproachable, lacks warmth or connection, too much attitude). The only time she's come off as slightly vulnerable is when she spoke about her husband almost dying. That's a bit extreme and I'm sure for her routines to come out as good as they have been she has to listen to Val at some point, why not show these times? 

It's highly debatable whether or not she makes it to the finals. Really at the end of the day it's up to her if she does because the producers won't help her out any. 

• Love 2

I think Tamar came to this show to learn to dance, but I also think she came to get some free promo for her album.  She did that.  DWTS is far down her list of priorities IMO.  Which isn't mean she isn't putting in the work, but I really don't think she cares that much about getting to the end and winning.  Even on social media Tamar rarely even really mentions DWTS except for on Monday nights, so she's not really playing the DWTS promo game either.

Also is it really a surprise that the producers may be putting their firepower into the celebs that will be more available to the them as the season progresses?  I guess it's no different than Andy, but I don't think the producers are invsted him him either.  Get off the celebs that have time constraints on their schedules and hopefully keep the ones that will have time to fully invest in all the little DWTS games.

It's a given that all the celebs go into this for self-promotion and a bit of a cheque, and not all of them try to win. But I think all of them go into this expecting to be treated and evaluated fairly. 

The race argument, in DWTS terms anyway, is always a difficult one.  The points made are valid, but at the same time people like Mya and Mel B. not only made it to the finals but were runner ups.  So was Zendaya, and yes, being bi-racial she is generally considered black.  Or at least she self identifies as such.  There are a lot of instances in this this show's history of the best dancer not always winning and I think that has been true across the board.  I also have been watching this show from the beginning and I really don't remember Mel B. being portrayed badly.  I remember her being super busy at the end of the season and having a super lackluster freestyle.  I do agree Mya was portrayed as cold.  Amber and Zendaya weren't portrayed badly.  Now if anyone wants to talk about why the show doesn't make more effort to bring on POC pros, get back to me.  Apparently these days if you aren't born in Utah, the show isn't interested...but that's a discussion for another thread.

So I can certainly understand if Tamar is getting upset at her edit and she has a right to be upset and she has a right to expect fair treatment, but I also contend she isn't really playing the DWTS game either.  They seem to do a weekly segment on The Real where they talk about whatever is coming up with the show, but that's about it.  Tamar skipped the press line on Monday night.  She didn't show up to the Access Hollywood interview.  The only interviews that Tamar/Val have done together since the start of the season are on the press line.  Tamar does interviews, mostly about her music, and Val does seperate interviews.  I think Tamar/Louis got along just fine, but Tamar did not once mention DWTS or the switch-up on social media all week leading up to the show.  I think she was the only celeb that didn't, yet she's online a lot posting about her album.  Louis posted about Tamar but she didn't acknowledge it.  I'm not sure she's ever acknowledged any other celeb on the show on social media, whereas the others are tweeting back and forth and posting group pics and etc.  So Tamar isn't really helping the general opinion of herself that she's just not that into it.  Which is fine, but then don't be surprised if you aren't picking up votes either.

So I guess I question if maybe the show is partly writing Tamar off and playing games with her because they realize she won't play their games.  I think if you don't do what TPTB want you to, for better or worse, they wash their hands of you.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

I for one am glad Tamar isn't playing the horseshit game.  It's ABC at it's worst trying desperately to make these awful kids happen and I don't give a damn about them.  The demographic they're trying desperately to appeal to has left in droves it's never been so bad so they don't give a damn either. Kids definitely don't relate to the hyper farting rainbows Bindi. But white Grandmas do, just as they relate to the racist Paula.  That's what this show has become.   Nothing meaningful about dance anywhere to be found.      

I'm not that familiar with her outside dwts, so she might be blowing off the show. Who knows. That's odd that she is skipping interviews, which would basically give her free promotion for her album. She might just be done with the show because of the way she is being treated, which would be my guess. It's pretty telling how people like Meryl and Rumer who were pimped on the show still act like it was the greatest thing they ever did, while people who weren't treated so great like Mya have never mentioned that show again.

• Love 1

spanana, I definitely agree with you. Well first off, I didn't include Zendaya because she was very much favored on the show and barring that one off week she had (I think it was a Quickstep) everyone pretty much agreed then and now she's fantastic. I definitely consider her black and don't feed into bi-racial semantics. However I think Monique, Mya, Brandy, and Tamar are clear examples of DWTS black woman narrative. Talent got them to the finals (wait and see for Tamar) but they didn't win for a reason. 

Andie1, I definitely feel your frustration and am frustrated as well. At the same time, why join the show if you're not going to "do what it takes," so to speak. I think it's fair to say from watching Tamar these past 3-4 years that she is willing to do what it takes to get what she wants. She is the break out star from the Braxton family for a reason. It's hard to find success being underneath a sibling's shadow and she did it, so she clearly has drive. 

She's a great dancer but hardly anyone gets something simply through merit. You volunteer in high school to make a lackluster transcript look better. Politicians shake hands and kiss babies so they look like more than politicians. There's game play to just about everything. Nobody saying she has to birth a unicorn underneath a pot of gold but it only takes about 90 seconds to post a pic on IG and Twitter. I want to see her win. Endearing herself to a market she has yet to tap into is how she'll do it. Toni has her success because she was a cross-over artist and a hold hold name. If Tamar wants the same, she'll have to work even harder because everyone already knows one Braxton. 

• Love 2

I think my question then becomes why do the show in the first place if you aren't going to play the game?  This show has been on for over a decade at this point so there is no mystery in the industry as to what it entails.  I think I'd get it if Tamar stopped playing the game after seeing how she was treated, but she hasn't been playing the game since the beginning.  It's not like she suddenly stopped posting about the show.  She never was.  I'd also be curious as to what is in these people's contracts about the extra stuff they are required to do.  For instance the last few seasons there was a big push in terms of having celebs/pros post a lot on social media, to the point of overkill.  Are they contractually obligated to do all that stuff now?

Also no, I don't think Tamar is going home this week.  It's only a single elimination.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

From Tamar's Instagram 

https://instagram.com/p/80-iEagseg/

Tamar's tweet: "Stop blaming everyone for your behavior."Smh..Classic case of when they want to put you in a box that you don't belong in #Unbelievable

She then screen captured the tweet and wrote this caption on IG: If I wasn't a reality television producer I would feel like this would be true just because someone said this to me. That fact is that is that "I am not an angry black woman"God has blessed me beyond measure! I have nothing to complain about!! And I will NOT bow down to the racist, sarcastic, foolish things that come out of ones MOUTH just because it's EASY to depict me as the LOUD mouth black girl with an attitude!! I am successful, a MOTHER, a daughter, a wife and the only BLACK person on 4 networks at the same time!!! How rude and ANGRY could I be!! I will NOT let you or anyone else make me out to be that because I have an opinion. I know how to be a professional and FYI.. My soul is NOT for sale!!✌

Maybe she's been reading her DWTS feedback or... had a not so successful conversation with Val... who knows... 

• Love 2

I like Tamar. I think she's working hard, putting in the effort, and gets along with Val. I do think she needs to work on making it look like she's having fun.

I don't think TPTB are against anyone as much as they prop up people. That is, I don't think they are maliciously against Tamar but are focusing on the ones trending. Bindi must have a huge online following (artificial?) to get 7 million views on the official video of her dance. Hayes and Alek seem to be big in the social media side of fandom. I'd guess people are crazy over Nick, too. Tptb want ratings and buzz. They don't care who wins as long as they get ratings out of it.

If her fans want better edits and dance placements, they need to become more vocal to offset the others. Tamar needs to promote it more herself. Her show doesn't even ask people to vote for her. They'll discuss it, but then no one says how to vote or when to vote. If her fans don't like the packages, they need to start complaining to official channels. Show up at the official twitter and ask for Tamar stuff. Nastia's fans complained so loudly after that package last season that the afterbuzz lady is still talking about it. Make your presence known.

She needs to play the game better, like others said. I can't blame tptb for favoring ones who help promote the show and fan involvement, even if she is turning out to be the best dancer.

I was a little put off when she missed that interview. Did she ever give a reason? That's an opportunity missed and then doubly missed when it was just dropped.

• Love 1

The REAL is owned by FOX, not ABC.   That's probably the biggest reason why she doesn't talk about voting on her show and keeps it to a minimum.  DWTS is a shill for their own. They are  never as kind to contestants from other networks. In fact, I doubt if any winner wasn't contractually obligated solely to ABC. Tamar could bend over backwards for the network and it wouldn't make a difference. Playing the game wouldn't help her in the least.  When ABC shits where they eat, then you can see why Tamar isn't the chosen one.  Her record label, Epic is part of Sony BMG,  that's in direct competition to ABC's Universal 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

Well that explains a few things. I didn't realize she was on a competing network. Are there any ABC shills this season? No bachelors or Disney kids or Extra hosts this time. I miss the Disney kids actually. They were nice and could dance. The are SO much better than social media twits.

Spanana said:

"I think Tamar/Louis got along just fine, but Tamar did not once mention DWTS or the switch-up on social media all week leading up to the show.  I think she was the only celeb that didn't, yet she's online a lot posting about her album.  Louis posted about Tamar but she didn't acknowledge it.  I'm not sure she's ever acknowledged any other celeb on the show on social media, whereas the others are tweeting back and forth and posting group pics and etc.  So Tamar isn't really helping the general opinion of herself that she's just not that into it.  Which is fine, but then don't be surprised if you aren't picking up votes either."

It could be Tamar isn't even on social media but has someone on her team/music team handling the tweets and Facebook posts for her.  Somehow I don't envision Tamar clicking away on her phone posting her thoughts to social media. My guess is someone is told to pump the album and, oh yeah, post something on Mondays about the little dance show.

Boyznkatz said:

That's odd that she is skipping interviews, which would basically give her free promotion for her album.

It was in Shawn's contract, and I'd assume it's still in the stars' contracts, a requirement to participate in publicity activities such as morning shows, news shows, interviews, etc.  Presumably the requirement is in the contract to require the star to help promote DWTS. Maybe Tamar wanted to use these interviews to promote her music and producers said no so Tamar decided not to participate.

Not showing up for a tv sitdown interview on Access Hollywood, skipping the press lines and whatever else she's skipped...that's tells me there's something else going on between Tamar and the producers.

Andie1 said:

The REAL is owned by FOX, not ABC.

Regardless, she still signed a contract with ABC and her lawyers would have had to make sure signing with ABC didn't violate her existing contracts with Fox and any other networks that she's contracted to.

Edited by Uke

Bruno (I think) told Paula that the jive was to be done on your toes.  She said, "I didn't know that."  hmmmmm  Apparently Mark never mentioned it.  Maybe he sensed that was just not going to happen with her and let it go.

That stood out to me too....very glaringly. Of all the forums and posts I've read about Switch Up Night, you are the first one I have seen mention this. I figured, like you, Mark wouldn't even go there. Why bother trying? Paula would fall over if he tried to teach her that technique of the Jive. Mark went for cutesy and story telling with some flashing thrown in. That's all Paula could handle and Mark knew that.

......It is a double elimination next week and I think we all know Paula is on her way out, who ever is with her is up in the air. To me it's either Tamar, Carlos, or Hayes.

I honestly don't think Carlos is going anywhere, yet. His Quickstep with Lindsey has given him at least two more weeks in this competition....if not more.
  • Love 1

Well that explains a few things. I didn't realize she was on a competing network. Are there any ABC shills this season? No bachelors or Disney kids or Extra hosts this time. I miss the Disney kids actually. They were nice and could dance. The are SO much better than social media twits.

Spy Kids is DISNEY.   Watch for Alexa to suddenly emerge.   Carlos show is with Viacom which is affliated with Paramount DreamWorks- you guessed it Disney. 

Even Paula, Food Network is Scripps, but they own a lot of ABC affiliate stations.  

Honestly as someone that has been watching since day 1, I don't think it has anything to do with the 'blackwoman' narrative. I think when it comes to the videao packages, they basically just look for some sort of coherency or consistency in the interaction between couples and then look for evidence that supports that, so the story line they want to portray makes sense. If someone is cantankerous or always arguing with their partners, they will reflect that. If always smiling or talking about animals and it's consistent they reflect that. I don't think they make up what isn't there. One might prefer they only show them when they are not frustrated or what not but remember they are in the rehearsals everyday with the couples.

If it's a case of portraying 'black woman as such' then what of Vivica Fox? or even Tamar's own sister, Toni? Truly I feel it comes down to personality and what the producers know will bring them the 'vibe' they want (as someone pointed out above). As already mentioned, Mel B, Zendaya and Amber were embraced meaning that for me it's mostly personality not race. Sabrina cheetah girl, Nastya, Joanna Krupa, Nicole Scherzinger (if I remember correctly did not get flattering video packages neither was she warm and fuzzy) all did not get the viewer/producer love. Some won despite it, others lost because of it. For me it's not race. If Tamar maintains focus on the dancing and improves she will get a second chance. Right now she has stalled and others have passed her.

Edited to add: another perfect example of' personality' as opposed to race is Christina Milan. Would you say she was loud, opinionated, assertive? No she was soft-spoken, beautiful, a great dancer and paired with Mark too!. Yet she didn't click.

Edited by skyways
  • Love 3

Even Paula, Food Network is Scripps, but they own a lot of ABC affiliate stations.  

Food Network cut ties with Paula during her lawsuit a couple of years ago. Would I put it past them to pick her up again after they feel she's done enough "penance" and become lucrative for them again? Of course not, but they don't currently have a relationship as far as I know.

• Love 1

"However, as with most cases of this nature, we can't really ignore how the show has treated female contestants of color: Monique Coleman, Mya, Mel B, Brandy, were to all at varying extents treated very dismissively by the show despite talent. I leave out Wendy and Nene because they were't that great of dancers to begin with. I'm sure there may be other contestants I can't remember off hand however I have counter question. I think the biggest frustration for Tamar in terms of viewers that are airing grievances is that she is simply being added to the list of black female contestants that are getting a very targetted narrative on this show (unapproachable, lacks warmth or connection, too much attitude). The only time she's come off as slightly vulnerable is when she spoke about her husband almost dying. That's a bit extreme and I'm sure for her routines to come out as good as they have been she has to listen to Val at some point, why not show these times?"

You bring up good points....issues that always must be looked at and addressed. This old white lady is always on the lookout for people who may be receiving different treatment for a plethora of reasons. I don't know that I completely agree with everything you put forth but it is a very important discussion. Someone has already talked about Mel B. (loved her and she seemed to be a strong and well liked contestant), Laila Ali....well, you try to put Laila in a corner and she will set things straight. I do admire her grace and the way she carries herself. I think she may be a lot like her dad. I am enjoying reading this thread. Many good and important points being made.

Sus.

• Love 3

Spanana said:

"I think Tamar/Louis got along just fine, but Tamar did not once mention DWTS or the switch-up on social media all week leading up to the show.  I think she was the only celeb that didn't, yet she's online a lot posting about her album.  Louis posted about Tamar but she didn't acknowledge it.  I'm not sure she's ever acknowledged any other celeb on the show on social media, whereas the others are tweeting back and forth and posting group pics and etc.  So Tamar isn't really helping the general opinion of herself that she's just not that into it.  Which is fine, but then don't be surprised if you aren't picking up votes either."

It could be Tamar isn't even on social media but has someone on her team/music team handling the tweets and Facebook posts for her.  Somehow I don't envision Tamar clicking away on her phone posting her thoughts to social media. My guess is someone is told to pump the album and, oh yeah, post something on Mondays about the little dance show.

Boyznkatz said:

That's odd that she is skipping interviews, which would basically give her free promotion for her album.

It was in Shawn's contract, and I'd assume it's still in the stars' contracts, a requirement to participate in publicity activities such as morning shows, news shows, interviews, etc.  Presumably the requirement is in the contract to require the star to help promote DWTS. Maybe Tamar wanted to use these interviews to promote her music and producers said no so Tamar decided not to participate.

Not showing up for a tv sitdown interview on Access Hollywood, skipping the press lines and whatever else she's skipped...that's tells me there's something else going on between Tamar and the producers.

Andie1 said:

The REAL is owned by FOX, not ABC.

Regardless, she still signed a contract with ABC and her lawyers would have had to make sure signing with ABC didn't violate her existing contracts with Fox and any other networks that she's contracted to.

Apparently Tamar is sick as she missed work for The Real as well.

Food Network cut ties with Paula during her lawsuit a couple of years ago. Would I put it past them to pick her up again after they feel she's done enough "penance" and become lucrative for them again? Of course not, but they don't currently have a relationship as far as I know.

Imma going to take a stab at it and say YES she's going to be on television again.  DWTS is what those with a career on life support go to get a fanbase back.   If she can keep her mouth in check, and not go Tom Delay or Andy Dick she has a chance to revive her career and who knows, she may already got something going with ABC itself.

Apparently Tamar is sick as she missed work for The Real as well.

She was sick last night as she was tweeting along during the Democratic debate and she mentioned that she didn't feel well.

This seems to be a pattern with this show. Celebs get praised to high heaven, only to be knocked down, only to have a " redemption arc" and get built back up. The same will probably happen to Tamar but will be too little too late.

• Love 1

Someone has already talked about Mel B. (loved her and she seemed to be a strong and well liked contestant), Laila Ali....well, you try to put Laila in a corner and she will set things straight.

Yeah Mel B was a dancer and actually a dance teacher in the UK so she had a lot of talent.  But, that season Helio brought Pensky and all those Indy and Nascar fans to the show.  That was a huge gain for ABC.  Remember ABC carried the Indy 500 and any cross promotion for the show was important.   Laila Ali was very naturally talented, I voted for her early on, but she was bested by an Olympian, who dabbled in some ABC shows.   It is always more about what can the star do for ABC that makes them a frontrunner, instead of dancing.

Since the overwhelming demographic for this show is white women over 50,  it is what appeals to them that will win the day.  If they want to make a soap opera out of a couple dancing, they will do it.  If they want to create a villian, ABC is more than willing to do just the right edits to make it happen.  Val and Maks are natural brooding villians  because they are exotic and speak Russian. They will automatically be more palatable if they are paired with an All American female, not an exotic woman of color.  Two blacks or two Russians paired together... never will win.  That is just how this demographic rolls.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Speaking as a white woman over 50, I would love to see an "exotic" person compete. Maks is handsome but obnoxious, but to me, Val would probably have a great partnership with almost anyone.

I wish they would give Keo a contender. As much as i love Chaka Khan as a singer and all-around icon of awesome, she didn't look great on the dance floor.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I vote for the dancer, and the dancer's talent, and to a certain extent, their pro partner. Race, ethnicity and age don't factor in, and personality is much more of a factor when it's good/entertaining than when it's bad.

Edited to get myself back on topic: I love to watch Tamar dance. I agree that there's some disconnect with her facial expressions, which is unfortunate. But I could watch that rumba over and over. Before the season, the only thing I knew about her was that she was Toni's sister, but she's been one of the pleasant surprises of the season for me.

Edited by Artymouse
  • Love 2

I think Tamar's personality doesn't filter down well into 2 minute clips. There's a humor/levity in all her complaining that you catch if you're familiar, but people who don't know her will think ALL she does is complain.

There's no way her performances could be as good if she were really giving Val all the grief the editors want you to think. She's a good dancer, but she's no ringer.

As far as her performance with Louis....it wasn't great. At all. But Samba is hard as hell. Like HARD. Like even Zumba samba is hard.

• Love 5

Spy Kids is DISNEY.   Watch for Alexa to suddenly emerge.   Carlos show is with Viacom which is affliated with Paramount DreamWorks- you guessed it Disney. 

But both of their gigs are long over.  I think that only counts if the people in question are still employed by Disney/ABC.  The Spy Kids franchise last produced a movie in 2011 and Alexa was barely in it as she was already all grown up by then.  Carlos show ended in 2013.  Carlos next gig after DWTS is the live version of Grease which is airing on Fox, not ABC.  

Also I have no doubt that Tamar, like many other celebs, have teams to run her social media.  But her team will post whatever she tells them to post.  So she could easily have her team post some other things about DWTS, like have them post some pics of herself with some people on set.  I'm not sure she's ever posted a BTS pic.  But obviously it's up to whatever Tamar wants to do.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

I was with you until this. How can you blame a Disney affiliation when Zendaya was a Disney kid but lost to Kellie Pickler, who's arguably a FOX associate since she was on American Idol?

Follow Kelly's career, she was dropped by the record label attached to Idol a year before she went on DWTS, she has subsequently appeared on ABC shows such as Nashville, appeared on CMT which is an ABC show, etc. You get the picture.

Edited by radishcake

The thing with this show is that you HAVE to play the game to some extent to win...it has never just been about dancing. Is that fair or right? No, obviously not but that's reality TV.

I find Tamar to be like the anti-Bethany Mota. I found Bethany engaging in her dances but her packages, interviews and non-dance interactions were a giant snooze fest. Everything other than the dance seemed to bore her or something which was off-putting. Tamar seems fun, lively and engaged in her packages and interviews (when she does them) but that blank face during the dances is a real buzzkill. I couldn't tell you if I thought her samba was good or not because I stopped watching halfway through after being bored by her lack of engagement. Same deal with the tango. I enjoyed her Quickstep and Charleston quite a lot and think she is a fabulous dancer. I WANT to like her. I love Val most of the time (his season with Janel was an exception where I actively wanted them voted off). He is my favorite male pro on the show.

Tamar's personality is also far more appealing to me than someone like Bindi who is just too much but I find myself enjoying Bindi's dances in spite of that because she seems like she is really engaged and having fun. Then she starts spewing stars, rainbows and unicorns in her post dance interview and my eyes roll all the way out of my head. But at the end of the night, I remember Bindi's dances, not Tamar's even though Tamar's are almost always more advanced and better danced. 

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 1

DWTS is a shill for their own. They are  never as kind to contestants from other networks.

Amber Riley won while she was a regular cast member on a FOX show. She wasn't in every episode of Glee that season, but she did film some while she was on DWTS.

• Love 2