Type keyword(s) to search

Show & Yell: That Choke Isn't Funny Anymore

• Start Topic

Didn't realize that there were only ten episodes this season. What a bummer, especially with next week not sounding that great (Kevin Nealon and Mel B weren't favourites the first time around). On the other hand, the podcast is generally more entertaining the more trainwrecks there are on the show.

Jeff Dye was a contestant on I can do this. I think Cheryl and Jeff actually did their first comp together. Also how is the Carlton not a dance? That's literally what it is. I love you Tara but I didn't understand that complaint. It's a dance.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1

I would call it more of a character affectation than a dance like the Twist or the Charleston, but okay.

It's something that transcends the show though. Like, if your average person is told to do the Carlton, you do that dance. It's a specific dance moves. That's all I'm saying. But, hey, the 90s were my formative years. As soon as I start seeing those arms swaying from side to side, it seems clear to me what you are doing. Sort of like when you do the robot, most people go right to the arm hanging thing. Easy to point out.

I have mad sympathy for Jenna Elfman's total inability to answer that Raspberry Beret question. I've never heard of that song! Until the answer flashed up on the screen, I had no earthly idea that there was a song, popular or otherwise, with the title "Raspberry Beret." I'm assuming Jenna didn't either, because otherwise it would have been impossible not say the answer out loud and not recognize it. I'd call a moment of stupidity being a situation where the person knows the answer, but is unable to either get to it or lead anther person to it effectively (i.e., poorly interpreting or giving clues), such as Michelle Trachtenberg's REFUSAL TO GUESS "Atlanta" because she was in the mindset of "I don't know anything about the show, therefore I can't know words." That said, Jenna did have some truly stupid moments as things went on.

Overall, I found this episode really lackluster. The pacing was weird, the games weren't fun, and there wasn't really anyone to root for. I DO think there was alcohol (Seth Green was drinking something clear with limes in it (maybe water, maybe a G&T?), but someone else (Jonas?) had what looked like a beer in hand at one point), but no one really seemed to be having fun. The whole episode just kind of fizzled for me.

• Love 1

I was really rooting for the male contestant because he seemed like a better player. Not sure if he would have had any better luck at the bonus round though because some of those names were pretty obscure. I thought it was strange that Jane mentioned having two celebs in the bonus round as though it were a new thing, and it made me wonder if this was actually the first, or one of the first episodes they filmed for this season but then held back because it was comparatively weak. Both "civilians" were saddled with useless celebs - Jeff Dye and Cheryl Burke. I don't even know what Burke was doing there.

Thanks Tara for posting that screen shot of Michelle Trachtenburg. As the show progressed I began to wonder if she was kind of a bitch because when the other team won there was a shot of her sitting on the couch looking pissed off. Talk about taking it too seriously. And she couldn't get "Atlanta?" WTF? It's the capital of Georgia, how does anyone get through school and not know that? Of course the clue giver wasn't doing a great job of making that point either.

I love "Off the top of my head" and neither team did very well in it.

I was really rooting for the male contestant because he seemed like a better player. Not sure if he would have had any better luck at the bonus round though because some of those names were pretty obscure. I thought it was strange that Jane mentioned having two celebs in the bonus round as though it were a new thing, and it made me wonder if this was actually the first, or one of the first episodes they filmed for this season but then held back because it was comparatively weak. Both "civilians" were saddled with useless celebs - Jeff Dye and Cheryl Burke. I don't even know what Burke was doing there.

Thanks Tara for posting that screen shot of Michelle Trachtenburg. As the show progressed I began to wonder if she was kind of a bitch because when the other team won there was a shot of her sitting on the couch looking pissed off. Talk about taking it too seriously. And she couldn't get "Atlanta?" WTF? It's the capital of Georgia, how does anyone get through school and not know that? Of course the clue giver wasn't doing a great job of making that point either.

I love "Off the top of my head" and neither team did very well in it.

Jane has been doing the celebrity ...and another celebrity thing for every episode this season. It wasn't new. As of taping, nobody knew about the twist so it is a new reveal to everyone involved.

She's been stressing it as a "new thing" in every episode, though. My assumption is that (a) all episodes were taped before any of them were aired (this is pretty standard, especially for a short-run setup like this), and (b) they wanted to be free to air them in any order.

• Love 1

I just listened to the podcast and enjoyed it as usual.

Re how Cheryl was dressed: It seems to me that the producers ask that the celebrities and contestants dress up, or at least that the women do. I'm guessing that the producers like having women run around in high heels because it makes the physical play funnier. Or maybe the producers just want people to look like they're at a party. If I were going to be on the show, I would want to wear my Skechers -- something comfortable and easy to move in. I don't know. I just believe that the women are told to dress up. Cheryl took it too far.

I'd forgotten about Jeff Dye not knowing that the Bard means Shakespeare. 

I never heard of the show I Can Do That, either. I just looked it up. Marlon Wayans is the host. Cheryl Burke, Joe Jonas, and Jeff Dye were contestants on it, along with Nicole Scherzinger, Ciara, and Alan Ritchson, whom I've never heard of. 

Peeayebee, that's my impression too. The contestants always look quite heavily styled, including the civilians, so I suspect the show has a stylist doing the civilians up to the nines to get them camera ready, and the celebs are encouraged to dress as they would for a talk-show. Because really, that's what it is. They're making an appearance to promote themselves and their personal brand, and looking "sloppy" or "unattractive" (by Hollywood standards) might damage that brand. They probably have agents, stylists, etc pushing them to look as "attractive" as possible to advance themselves in the public eye, and to prioritize that over playing well, because, well, that's not what's going to get them cast in the next blockbuster. Unfortunately.

Michelle Trachtenberg's REFUSAL TO GUESS "Atlanta" because she was in the mindset of "I don't know anything about the show, therefore I can't know words."

Was that Trachtenberg? I thought it was Jenna, with the clue for Zombie. Michelle answered Peach when the contestant said "Georgia".

It was Michelle. Jeff said, "Georgia...," drawing it out like Atlanta would follow Georgia, and added, "It's where the Falcons play," and Michelle said, "Peach?" So I understand that Michelle had heard "Georgia..." and figured "peach" follows Georgia. But then she just wasn't listening to him and kept saying she didn't watch the show, even though Jeff wasn't giving any clues having to do with The Walking Dead. But he was giving TERRIBLE clues. "Ciara's from there. T.I.'s from there."

It was Michelle. Jeff said, "Georgia...," drawing it out like Atlanta would follow Georgia, and added, "It's where the Falcons play," and Michelle said, "Peach?" So I understand that Michelle had heard "Georgia..." and figured "peach" follows Georgia. But then she just wasn't listening to him and kept saying she didn't watch the show, even though Jeff wasn't giving any clues having to do with The Walking Dead. But he was giving TERRIBLE clues. "Ciara's from there. T.I.'s from there."

Saying where certain stars are from are useless unless you know enough about them. I've been listening to TI his whole career and I barely remember where he's from off hand.And it's where the falcons play is not a bad clue actually. If you are saying a sports team plays there and they are in Georgia, it's obviously a city in that state. That's all you need to take from that. Atlanta would be anyone's logical first guess. Part of what I think the issue was is that they got too caught up in where the keyword was coming from instead of just trying to figure it out on it's own terms.

Right. It was kind like at first he thought they were playing Password. "Georgia." "Atlanta."

Saying where certain stars are from are useless unless you know enough about them. I've been listening to TI his whole career and I barely remember where he's from off hand.

I don't even know who T.I. is. If not for Hollywood Game Night, I wouldn't know Ciara either.

Almost all the clues that team gave in Off The Top Of My Head were awful, full of unnecessary info obscuring the point. Why does "bite" need a digression about Adam and Eve and apples? Why does "crossbow" need any mention of Hunger Games (do they even use crossbows in that? All the iconic images are Katniss with a bow and arrow)? To get "hospital", why start with getting a broken leg and then being taken by ambulance to the hospital? Just say "the ambulance takes you to the...".

And it's where the falcons play is not a bad clue actually. If you are saying a sports team plays there and they are in Georgia, it's obviously a city in that state.

Though in the previous game Michelle had said she didn't know anything about the football.

I was hoping for the male contestant, but his team really let him down in Off the Top of my Head. I don't think Michelle will get a reinvite, since she didn't seem to enjoy it at all. (Seth on the other hand is a good player and should get reinvites each season easily).

For Off the Top of my Head, just because the words follow that theme, doesn't mean the clues have to. Really other than saying "City in Georgia" there's no real reason she shouldn't have gotten it. Crossbow should have been doable (Katniss does use a crossbow in the Hunger Games). I would have added something to indicate the cross part, either stretching my arms out or saying "jesus died on this." Otherwise maybe "a weapon like that..." after the bow and arrows guess. 

Not sure I like that balloon game, seemed like the producers are trying to figure it out a bit more too. The balloon inflated a lot early on then it was like they were afraid to put more air in it to stretch the game out. 

All in all, the games were OK, if there were stronger teams... But there weren't strong teams, so that hurt things. Thank goodness there weren't any All Team games (like the reverse titles one). The Dance off was hard enough. 

• Love 1

Though in the previous game Michelle had said she didn't know anything about the football.

You don't need to know football to use that clue is my point. A sports team plays in Georgia. Where would they play? Atlanta. There's no other big city in Georgia to even confuse you. That's my point. It doesn't matter whether or not you know about or watch sports, the Walking Dead, etc. Take a moment to think logically. Getting caught up in where the clue is coming from wont help you. I'm not saying it was the best clue but it's not a bad one either.

I don't even know who T.I. is. If not for Hollywood Game Night, I wouldn't know Ciara either.

T.I. is a very famous rapper. In the news wise, he was busted trying to buy what seemed like a armies worth a guns after someone in his crew basically turned snitch on him. He went to jail during the height of his career. He is also a working actor. He was just in Ant Man this summer as one of Paul Rudd's friends, he had a part in Get Hard with Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart, starred in Takers with Idris Elba, Paul Walker, etc. and a bunch of other movies. He's out there. He's not just a rapper that you would only know if yo listen to rap. He's had some huge no. 1 sequels and been in some big movies (and he has a reality show in VH1).

Ciara is the news a lot lately because she's a dating a very popular football player who also does not want to sex before marriage and has become real close with her son from different man (a rapper names Future). It has ended up in the news a lot.

It's always something I have to remember.  A lot of people just aren't in the know. These news stories are out there, big movies happen and songs are played all over the place. People talk about them. But, a lot of people just go blissfully along int heir lives without knowing any of it.

Edited by Racj82

Regardless of whether Atlanta was a gettable clue (probably should have been but I think Michelle was already caught up on The Walking Dead part and was too focused on that) the bigger issue I had with it was that The Walking Dead and Sesame Street are not comparable culturally. One is a show that's been around for 40 years, that most people have seen and I'm willing to bet at least one person in that room had guest starred on the other is a fairly new show watched by a much smaller audience who is into sci-fi/horror/gore. 

It was not a great episode. The balloon game was fairly silly. I've loved the block game before but "words that rhyme with duck" is a very stupid category. The NFL teams was great so if the categories are interesting then its a perfectly good party game. Most of the players were not very strong. I'm going to give Michelle a pass for her grumpy face. That's just her face. It's what got her hired to play a petulant teen on Buffy and Gossip Girl. At least she seems to care about winning. 

• Love 1

Regardless of whether Atlanta was a gettable clue (probably should have been but I think Michelle was already caught up on The Walking Dead part and was too focused on that) the bigger issue I had with it was that The Walking Dead and Sesame Street are not comparable culturally. One is a show that's been around for 40 years, that most people have seen and I'm willing to bet at least one person in that room had guest starred on the other is a fairly new show watched by a much smaller audience who is into sci-fi/horror/gore.

It was not a great episode. The balloon game was fairly silly. I've loved the block game before but "words that rhyme with duck" is a very stupid category. The NFL teams was great so if the categories are interesting then its a perfectly good party game. Most of the players were not very strong. I'm going to give Michelle a pass for her grumpy face. That's just her face. It's what got her hired to play a petulant teen on Buffy and Gossip Girl. At least she seems to care about winning.

I feel like I've been beating a dead horse but where the clues came from really does not matter. It's just a springboard for the clues. Yes, you can use the shows ti help (like say the cookie monster question) but there dozens if ways to make someone guess cookies. You don't have to use the show to help you. In most cases it's probably easier to go with a basic hint. It's like when they had that game where you had to act out clues. One was from Batman and one was from Harry Potter. There was a debate here about the fairness of how long the two properties had been around. But, even then, I think there is too much focus on where the hints are coming from. The Potter stuff was mostly basic wizard stuff. You didn't need to see any Potter movies to get them. On the flip side, a lot of the batman stuff was hard to act out anyway. I think, for me, there is a lot of debate about what's fair on the show (or what's too hard), but I rarely ever agree with the complaints. It's all about how you look at it. Most if the here isn't difficult to me. It's just comes down to what you know and how you go at the game. If you enter the game with the walking dead and become fixated on the show and not the actual clues, it will mess you up. Walking Dead isn't even a small show. It is one of the top three written programs on network and cable. It gets 16 million a week before dvr and streaming. It's very much mainstream. I only take issue with things that are obscure for the average person. Edited by Racj82

T.I. is a very famous rapper. In the news wise, he was busted trying to buy what seemed like a armies worth a guns after someone in his crew basically turned snitch on him. He went to jail during the height of his career. He is also a working actor. He was just in Ant Man this summer as one of Paul Rudd's friends, he had a part in Get Hard with Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart, starred in Takers with Idris Elba, Paul Walker, etc. and a bunch of other movies. He's out there. He's not just a rapper that you would only know if yo listen to rap. He's had some huge no. 1 sequels and been in some big movies (and he has a reality show in VH1).

Ciara is the news a lot lately because she's a dating a very popular football player who also does not want to sex before marriage and has become real close with her son from different man (a rapper names Future). It has ended up in the news a lot.

For a long time I was up on pop culture, but I guess I need to remember that phrase "for a long time" because more and more frequently I find myself out of the loop with regards to popular culture. I don't follow rap. I haven't seen Ant Man, Takers (never heard of it), or Get Hard. I don't watch reality shows.

If I were going to be on this show, I would read every issue of People magazine for several months. That's a pretty good way to get an overview on what's going on in pop culture.

It's always something I have to remember.  A lot of people just aren't in the know. These news stories are out there, big movies happen and songs are played all over the place. People talk about them. But, a lot of people just go blissfully along int heir lives without knowing any of it.

Likewise, I was very surprised when you had posted that you never heard of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. It's tricky saying what 'common knowledge' is.

• Love 5

For a long time I was up on pop culture, but I guess I need to remember that phrase "for a long time" because more and more frequently I find myself out of the loop with regards to popular culture. I don't follow rap. I haven't seen Ant Man, Takers (never heard of it), or Get Hard. I don't watch reality shows.

If I were going to be on this show, I would read every issue of People magazine for several months. That's a pretty good way to get an overview on what's going on in pop culture.

Likewise, I was very surprised when you had posted that you never heard of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. It's tricky saying what 'common knowledge' is.

Excuse me for stereotyping but anything Beatles related is not common knowledge among your average black person. Not saying that no black people listen to the Beatles but, I can safely say I don't know one black person that what know what in the world Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is. The Beatles just don't come up in conversations. At least with T.I. he's current;y on the radio, on tv and in movies. So, there are different things to pull from. The Beatles are one of the most known bands of all time but I still know no one that has ever listened to their music.

For me it's not that the Carlton dance isn't a dance, it's just that it's SUCH a niche reference. I know that show was really popular, but is that a dance people do at parties and stuff? If you didn't watch the show it's not out in the world like the Hustle is. Or even the Snoopy dance, which is also a character thing but I think (?) much more widely known and referenced.

And I totally get Jenna not getting Raspberry Beret initially (sure, she thought it was a strawberry), but she's about my age so there's NO way she's never HEARD OF that song (I'm assuming the commenter who hasn't is younger), so when she SAID IT OUT LOUD, even by accident, you'd think she'd have gotten it.

I'm also dying to know how the celebs get booked on the show and how much they're told. There does seem to be a viewer/agent/publicist/stylist divide happening!

• Love 1

For me it's not that the Carlton dance isn't a dance, it's just that it's SUCH a niche reference. I know that show was really popular, but is that a dance people do at parties and stuff? If you didn't watch the show it's not out in the world like the Hustle is. Or even the Snoopy dance, which is also a character thing but I think (?) much more widely known and referenced.

Do people do it?  Randall Cobb started doing it two weeks ago as soon as "It's Not Unusual" started playing during "Wrong Song."  So do people do it at parties?  I wouldn't be surprised if people do if that specific song came on.  They're so intertwined.  And maybe it's movement that needs the musical cue. It also happens to be a surprisingly difficult movement to make.

But more niche than the Snoopy Dance?  I didn't even realize people did the Snoopy dance.  What about the Dougie?  Or the Charleston?  Unless you happen to watch a show or film that takes place in the 20s, there aren't many ways to get exposed to that.  it's not on the dancing shows or done at parties.  (And the Carlton was done on DWTS last season.)

Excuse me for stereotyping but anything Beatles related is not common knowledge among your average black person. Not saying that no black people listen to the Beatles but, I can safely say I don't know one black person that what know what in the world Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is. The Beatles just don't come up in conversations. At least with T.I. he's current;y on the radio, on tv and in movies. So, there are different things to pull from. The Beatles are one of the most known bands of all time but I still know no one that has ever listened to their music.

This is why I had said that it's tricky to label something 'common knowledge.' I admitted there are gaps in my pop culture knowledge, as I'm sure there are gaps in yours. Over on the Jeopardy forum, posters constantly groan at what contestants don't know, but often someone will post that s/he didn't know it either.

I think HGN is trying to put a mix of famous people and things into the show that different generations and groups know. I wish they'd use some historical figures as well. I can't remember if they have already, but basic ones like George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Queen Elizabeth II, Edison, the Wright Brothers, etc.

• Love 2

This is why I had said that it's tricky to label something 'common knowledge.' I admitted there are gaps in my pop culture knowledge, as I'm sure there are gaps in yours. Over on the Jeopardy forum, posters constantly groan at what contestants don't know, but often someone will post that s/he didn't know it either.

I think HGN is trying to put a mix of famous people and things into the show that different generations and groups know. I wish they'd use some historical figures as well. I can't remember if they have already, but basic ones like George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Queen Elizabeth II, Edison, the Wright Brothers, etc.

Throwing in some historical character would be great for a few of the games they have. There are several that are recognizable through what they have done, a certain look etc. Maybe next season.

Almost all the clues that team gave in Off The Top Of My Head were awful, full of unnecessary info obscuring the point. Why does "bite" need a digression about Adam and Eve and apples? Why does "crossbow" need any mention of Hunger Games (do they even use crossbows in that? All the iconic images are Katniss with a bow and arrow)? To get "hospital", why start with getting a broken leg and then being taken by ambulance to the hospital? Just say "the ambulance takes you to the...".

Since Michelle Trachtenberg was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer for three years, I would have said it's one of Buffy's weapons, and if she said "stake," I'd reply - no it uses an arrow.  I don't know if I'd call it ironic that she couldn't get crossbow, but I chuckled a little at it. 

You don't need to know football to use that clue is my point. A sports team plays in Georgia. Where would they play? Atlanta. There's no other big city in Georgia to even confuse you. That's my point. It doesn't matter whether or not you know about or watch sports, the Walking Dead, etc. Take a moment to think logically. Getting caught up in where the clue is coming from wont help you. I'm not saying it was the best clue but it's not a bad one either.

If that were me, I'd think you were looking for the name of the stadium and stammer a lot. Maybe that's just me, but it sounds like a question with a very specific answer rather than a general one like the city in which they play.

Throwing in some historical character would be great for a few of the games they have. There are several that are recognizable through what they have done, a certain look etc. Maybe next season.

Back to the Atlanta clue, one could always mention that General Sherman marched there or that it burned in Gone With the Wind (it was a visually memorable scene) and in real life, for that matter.

In fairness, The Walking Dead is the most watched show in cable TV history and is one of the most watch shows on TV across the board, so it's not exactly niche. I don't watch it myself, but I think it's fair to say it's a Big Deal even if its cultural impact isn't nearly as far-reaching and significant as Sesame Street's.

But the more important fact when it comes to the game is that the clues don't rely on any knowledge of the show. They're just words that are related to the show, but the words are related to plenty of other things, too. 

This is why I had said that it's tricky to label something 'common knowledge.' I admitted there are gaps in my pop culture knowledge, as I'm sure there are gaps in yours.

Yeah, nobody knows everything. And not knowing about a particular celebrity does not mean that a person is generally not "in the know". A person can be very tuned in when it comes to pop culture but certain names/stories/etc. just don't particularly catch their attention or sink into their memory. 

• Love 1