Type keyword(s) to search

The Twilight Zone - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I also just want to say that "The Dummy" still creeps me out. I've always found it odd just how long people keep being scared of things that as an adult, should be far less scary (talking about tv and movies). But, that damn episode still gives me the creeps. Talking Tina still does too.

• Love 2

One thing I didn't like about the marathon (though I always enjoy watching the show and enjoyed myself when I did watch is) is their editing.  God, Syfy sucks!  Their cuts and forced commercial breaks really did the episodes a disservice.  They were cutting out dialogue from important speeches the characters gave that really undercut those moments.  They had unnatural commercial breaks that killed the episodes momentum.  They did the show and viewers a disservice with that.

I agree, the editing was bad. One in particular was the transition scene in "The Howling Man". Go to the IMDB.com Twilight Zone forum and you'll see plenty of complaining about that cut.

I own the DVD set and watch episodes from time to time but it's that shared experience with others the past few days that kept me tuned in to the marathon. One thing that SyFy did that was great was broadcast great prints of the episodes. Previous years the quality of the prints weren't that great.

• Love 1

One in particular was the transition scene in "The Howling Man". Go to the IMDB.com Twilight Zone forum and you'll see plenty of complaining about that cut.

Oh yes, that cut was particularly horrible.   I yelled at my tv.    BTW, I believe the HOwling Man is still loose.  Someone needs to catch him and let's lock him up for good this time.

You don't have to pay money with some of those options and you can just stream it to your tv screen through various options. I mean most people cut the cord and use these services because of money concerns anyways. Not judging anybody. Just saying that this aint the only avenue to get your twilight zone fix anymore. So, for me, they can cut what they want. I have options now. I refused to pay 100 plus dollars for the box sets back in the day but we are far past a couple of options now.

Some of us don't have the ability to stream to our TV.  Not everyone has the ability to buy up-to-date technology.  Would that we could. 

And I agree with Cobb Salad above mentioning liking to watch something at the same time you know others around the country are watching it too.  It just feels "better" when you know there is a large group sharing the same experience at the same time even if you can't see them in person.  It feels like a gathering of the tribe somehow.

I don't know the titles but I did get the one liked a lot here was the Burgess Meredith one with the books and glasses.  One of the most sad endings of any TV show or even a movie.  And Meredith was brilliant in it.  He was a much under appreciated actor and I'm glad one of his finest performances has stood the test of time so well.

I like the Shatner on the plane one because the frustration of trying to prove your sanity and not being believed is scarier to me than some chainsaw horror flick.  Add in the danger to the plane and you almost feel like yelling at the others on the plane to pay attention.  It's almost visceral as you watch it.  I would love to see an updated version of this one where the silly looking "gremlin" looks more like some realistic problem happening to the wing of the plane.

And what was the name of the creepy one where the kid (Ron Howard?  Billy Mumy?) could strangle people or turn them into a jack-in-the box?  The theme of unbridled power in the hands of those who don't have the wisdom to use it is universal but rarely pointed out so well.

I remember the hour long Hitler one too.  Was that from some short-lived hour long season after the original run ended or what?  Anyway it creeped me out when I was a kid.  And the advice Hitler was giving the neo-nazi on how to bring the crowd along with you is still so true, alas.  It was like a class in Demagoguery 101 and is as true today as it was back during Hitler's rise to power.

Liked the not too important episode with a pioneer Cliff Robertson walking over the rise into the 20th century.  Don't know why I did.  Just could somehow identify with a sudden shift of time I guess.

The Twilight Zone has stood the test of time because it was one of the few intelligently written series that didn't shy away from making a point about the message.  In this era where there usually is no message or moral or ethical dimensions in most entertainments it is amazing that this series stood up for those things.  Or not.  Sci-fi is usually about such things if you think about it.  It is our version of ethical and social parables for a secular age.  And The Twilight Zone did it with great writing, great acting and, dare I say, not talking down to the viewer.  I doubt many shows from our current time will last as long as The Twilight Zone has.

Edited by green
  • Love 4

Some of us don't have the ability to stream to our TV. Not everyone has the ability to buy up-to-date technology. Would that we could.

And I agree with Cobb Salad above mentioning liking to watch something at the same time you know others around the country are watching it too. It just feels "better" when you know there is a large group sharing the same experience at the same time even if you can't see them in person. It feels like a gathering of the tribe somehow.

I don't know the titles but I did get the one liked a lot here was the Burgess Meredith one with the books and glasses. One of the most sad endings of any TV show or even a movie. And Meredith was brilliant in it. He was a much under appreciated actor and I'm glad one of his finest performances has stood the test of time so well.

I like the Shatner on the plane one because the frustration of trying to prove your sanity and not being believed is scarier to me than some chainsaw horror flick. Add in the danger to the plane and you almost feel like yelling at the others on the plane to pay attention. It's almost visceral as you watch it. I would love to see an updated version of this one where the silly looking "gremlin" looks more like some realistic problem happening to the wing of the plane.

And what was the name of the creepy one where the kid (Ron Howard? Billy Mumy?) could strangle people or turn them into a jack-in-the box? The theme of unbridled power in the hands of those who don't have the wisdom to use it is universal but rarely pointed out so well.

I remember the hour long Hitler one too. Was that from some short-lived hour long season after the original run ended or what? Anyway it creeped me out when I was a kid. And the advice Hitler was giving the neo-nazi on how to bring the crowd along with you is still so true, alas. It was like a class in Demagoguery 101 and is as true today as it was back during Hitler's rise to power.

Liked the not too important episode with a pioneer Cliff Robertson walking over the rise into the 20th century. Don't know why I did. Just could somehow identify with a sudden shift of time I guess.

The Twilight Zone has stood the test of time because it was one of the few intelligently written series that didn't shy away from making a point about the message. In this era where there usually is no message or moral or ethical dimensions in most entertainments it is amazing that this series stood up for those things. Or not. Sci-fi is usually about such things if you think about it. It is our version of ethical and social parables for a secular age. And The Twilight Zone did it with great writing, great acting and, dare I say, not talking down to the viewer. I doubt many shows from our current time will last as long as The Twilight Zone has.

I get what you guys are saying, I just don't have that hang up. I can stream the episodes with the marathon. Whatever, I need to do. That's the freedom we all have now. I personally kept the marathon running all weekend on my DVR but didn't watch anyone episode all the way through. It was nice to have it on but I don't need to watch it outside of some choice moments.

^  Again that is NOT the freedom all of us have.  Not everyone is middle class.  Glad you are.  I don't begrudge you the ability to afford newer technology.  But please don't assume everyone has spare money to keep upgrading their equipment (TVs, computers, etc).  Because I for one don't.  And it kind of kills me that I can't but rent and food and keeping my old car running somehow and on the road come first. 

Also I don't think it is some kind of hang-up to want to watch something with other human beings at the same time.  Sort of a virtual tribal gathering united by a time and extending through space like I said.  If it isn't your thing, fine.  But it isn't some kind of hang-up for me.  It is something I choose to do because I enjoy that feeling.

^ Again that is NOT the freedom all of us have. Not everyone is middle class. Glad you are. I don't begrudge you the ability to afford newer technology. But please don't assume everyone has spare money to keep upgrading their equipment (TVs, computers, etc). Because I for one don't. And it kind of kills me that I can't but rent and food and keeping my old car running somehow and on the road come first.

Also I don't think it is some kind of hang-up to want to watch something with other human beings at the same time. Sort of a virtual tribal gathering united by a time and extending through space like I said. If it isn't your thing, fine. But it isn't some kind of hang-up for me. It is something I choose to do because I enjoy that feeling.

I didn't even know this response was here.

As I've already said, I'm not knocking anyone. I understand what you guys are saying. I'm talking about me. Myself and what I do. I get the interest in watching along with the marathon and everything. I used to get hyped for it every year. But the edits are a issue for me. Just glad to have options. Lastly, cable (what the marathon airs on) is the expensive thing these days. My cable bill was nearly 200 dollars at one point. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu combined with a internet hook up is still like half that. That's the point I was trying to make. People are using things like hulu to save money. Not because they are rich.

Back on topic, I feel like I'm a bigger fan than ever this past year. I bought one of the twilight zone companion books, I've listen to three Twilight zone podcasts and read the write ups on AV Club this past year. Probably another reason why the marathon wasn't as important to me this year. I've been really into it year round.

I didn't follow the marathon the antenna network did when it started showing in more homes a few months ago but I wonder if they had the same type of edits. In sure that network has less ads. I wish they would just let the episodes overrun like they did at times in the past. At least for the fans sake.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, I think those squabbling parents were awful to their kids but did they truly deserve the fate of thinking their kids had somehow drowned in the pool even though they could never find the bodies?

Edited by Blergh

' The Trade Ins' may have had a rather flimsy story but I have  praise Mr. Schildkraut for being able to so skillfully convey the many emotions re being an old man tormented by pain to understanding that even a few years with pain was better than a century in a 'perfect' body so long as he was with the wife he adored. Also  Miss Platt as his elderly wife did a good job being able to wordlessly express wanting to end her husband's pain even if it meant she'd stay old to suddenly being terrified when her 'new' husband declared his passions for her that there'd be no way she could begin to return the gestures much less have any place left in his life. I'd like to think this couple could have given Walter Jamieson and the Queen of the Nile a few lessons re how to appreciate what they had rather than continually craving said youth.

• Love 1
Blergh, on 01 Mar 2016 - 4:23 PM, said:

' The Trade Ins' may have had a rather flimsy story but I have  praise Mr. Schildkraut for being able to so skillfully convey the many emotions re being an old man tormented by pain to understanding that even a few years with pain was better than a century in a 'perfect' body so long as he was with the wife he adored. Also  Miss Platt as his elderly wife did a good job being able to wordlessly express wanting to end her husband's pain even if it meant she'd stay old to suddenly being terrified when her 'new' husband declared his passions for her that there'd be no way she could begin to return the gestures much less have any place left in his life. I'd like to think this couple could have given Walter Jamieson and the Queen of the Nile a few lessons re how to appreciate what they had rather than continually craving said youth.

To say nothing of the old movie star who was so horrified to see how much her once-handsome leading man had aged after retiring from movie-making that she fled forever into an old movie clip shot by her when she was in her prime because she couldn't bear the thought that SHE had also aged that much.

If you've missed any or someone don't have cable a site daily motion has them in order so you can watch online. Fashionably Ill also is linking them and having a chat /online marathon party. 

The show Stranger Things and the movie Doctor Strange had me thinking about other dimensions and the TZ episode "Little Girl Lost". It's a great episode but I still find it hilarious that the first thing the dad does when his child disappears is call a physicist friend that lives close enough that he can come to the house in the middle of the night! Also the mom looks a lot like Rosanna Arquette.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Has anyone been doing the twitter voting this year? I see syfy is having two episodes go head to head and the viewers vote on which one airs. Nightmare at 20,000 feet beat out living doll for example. I see walking distant vs time enough at last is next.

15 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Has anyone been doing the twitter voting this year? I see syfy is having two episodes go head to head and the viewers vote on which one airs. Nightmare at 20,000 feet beat out living doll for example. I see walking distant vs time enough at last is next.

I did it.  Everything I wanted lost.  For instance, I like Twenty-Two much better than The Masks, but because they always show The Masks, it's much better known, and so that got chosen.  Same with Time Enough At Last over Walking Distance.

• Love 3

I watched a good chunk of the marathon with a friend who's a fellow TZ junkie, and I got the pleasure of watching her see - for the first time - two of my favorite episodes ("A World of His Own", where Keenan Wynn plays the successful playwright whose creations come to live as he dictates them into his tape recorder, and "Number Twelve Looks Just Like You").  She, like me and many of you, found Joe Mantell's performance well worth watching "Nervous Man..." and we were, throughout the marathon, moved by appearances by several fine actors no longer with us (Klugman, Wynn, Richard Long, Larry Blyden, etc.)

I did not get to see "Changing of the Guard", another favorite, mainly for Donald Pleasance's beautiful, self-effacing performance.

• Love 1

Been trying to find an episode for a little while. I haven’t seen it but it’s been described to me as: a little bald man is hectically running around constantly trying to find parts for some super complicated contraption/machine in a basement which he is tasked with keeping running. It is some sort of mystery machine but it’s implied that it must never stop running (or the world will end?) and another man observes the bald man rushing around, trying to find parts. After attempting to help the bald man the observer is eventually left standing with parts and suddenly realizes that he is now the one whose task it is to keep the thing running. That’s basically all I know about it. Does this ring a bell with anyone’s memory? Also, I’m unsure if this is an actual twilight zone episode or an episode of a similar series. Help please, I’m dying to see this after having imagined it for a while. Thanks!

Martin Landau died a few weeks ago and he appeared in one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes "The Jeopardy Room" (S5E29) directed by Richard Donner. I think it's one of the few TZ episodes that isn't sci-fi or have anything to do with the supernatural. It's just a very good suspenseful Cold War story with a great ending.

• Love 3

Ooh, yeah, I like that one. I remember being glued to the TV when I first saw it. 

A couple of my favorite TZ episodes are "Twenty-Two" and "The Hitchhiker". Just good, creepy stories that never fail to send a bit of a chill down my spine. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

A couple of my favorite TZ episodes are "Twenty-Two" and "The Hitchhiker". Just good, creepy stories that never fail to send a bit of a chill down my spine. 

One of the scariest TZ moments is in the "The Hitchhiker" where the Hitchhiker suddenly comes into the frame in an extreme close up. Scared the crap out of me when I first saw it.

"Twenty-Two" was one of the episodes shot on videotape. I remember it blew my mind first seeing one of them, "The Lateness of the Hour" which also Inger Stevens who also starred in "The Hitchhiker") because except for it being black and white, it looked like they just shot it recently like a current show(I saw it in the early 90s).

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

One of the scariest TZ moments is in the "The Hitchhiker" where the Hitchhiker suddenly comes into the frame in an extreme close up. Scared the crap out of me when I first saw it.

"Twenty-Two" wa because it was one of the episodes shot on videotape and those always look weird to me. I remember it blew my mind first seeing one of them, "The Lateness of the Hour" which also Inger Stevens who also starred in "The Hitchhiker") because it looked like they just shot it recently like a current show(I saw it in the early 90s).

YES. That made me jump, too! Still a little unnerving. I like how they picked a guy who, in any other circumstance, would look so unassuming and non-threatening. Somehow that makes him randomly lurking and popping up here that much creepier. 

And yeah, it's weird to see episodes like "Twenty-Two" and "Lateness of the Hour" filmed as they are. I kinda like it, though-it kinda adds to the strange nature of the show, in a way. Like in "Twenty-Two"-it enhances the surreal, dreamlike atmosphere of the episode. 

"Long-Distance Call" was filmed that way, too, right? Speaking of creepy episodes...

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Long-Distance Call" was filmed that way, too, right? Speaking of creepy episodes...

Yeah, the mother's clingiiness to her adult son was creepy. There was another episode like it which really messed up, "Young Man's Fancy".

The fourth season when they switched from half hour to an hour long episodes they realized was a mistake and they switched back the next season. The only episode that did work was "On Thursday We Leave For Home" and Rod Serling also thought so too. It's one of my favorite episodes. Most of the other season 4 episodes could have easily just been told in the original 30 minutes and felt like a lot of padding. You just want them to get on with the plot. "On Thursday" didn't feel padded because you needed the extra time to understand the colonists plight stranded on a desert asteroid and how important Captain Benteen(James Whitmore) was to their survival. He wasn't just a strong leader who told them how to ration or keep watch on the radio listening for a ship.  He gave them hope, telling them memories about the Earth. Also once the rescue ship arrives you need to show him gradually being indignant that his control over the colonists slip away and his role being diminished. That the power he once had, which was needed on the barren asteroid will be unnecessary once they return to Earth. Benteen is a hero with a tragic flaw. The typical TZ story is more of a fable and by the end you either feel sorry for the protagonist or think they got their just comeuppance or punishment.  In a classical tragedy you feel both("pity" and "awe" as Aristotle put it) and "On Thursday We Leave For Home" is a tragedy.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
On 7/4/2014 at 2:33 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Question about The Howling Man: David Ellington is supposed to be American, but is it me, or does his accent sound European?

I have no idea. Wikipedia says the actor is from Detroit.

"Eye of the Beholder" is justifiably one of the most famous if not the most famous episodes. I was lucky to first see it as a kid so the twist was a complete surprise to me. If I older when I saw it I would have seen the ending right away. Cool trivia:

(Director)Heyes had planned to have Maxine Stuart, who spoke all of the lines of the main character Janet Tyler when her head is entirely covered by bandages, dub the single line spoken by Tyler when she is revealed, portrayed by the actress Donna Douglas. However, Douglas had been listening to Stuart's voice as she recorded her part, and was able to imitate her so successfully that she was allowed to speak the line on camera herself.

Donna Douglas played Ellie May on The Beverly Hillbillies and she sounds completely different to how the woman speaks through most of the episode(deeper with a scratchier voice). Watching it again on Netflix Douglas had the other voice down perfectly and it seems natural. If it had been dubbed it would have shown.

Edited by VCRTracking
On 3/8/2016 at 0:42 PM, legaleagle53 said:

To say nothing of the old movie star who was so horrified to see how much her once-handsome leading man had aged after retiring from movie-making that she fled forever into an old movie clip shot by her when she was in her prime because she couldn't bear the thought that SHE had also aged that much.

She was like take me back to the good old days of the Thirties! When most people were out of work, standing in bread lines?

It's 100 degrees these past few days here in San Francisco, which is unusual(the fog usually comes in once it hits 80 and cools everything off). Whenever it's a really hot day anywhere people think of the season 3 TZ episode "Midnight Sun" where the Earth is moving closer and closer to the sun. People post on YouTube of the scene towards the end of the episode where artist Norma(Lois Nettleton) is surrounded by her paintings, and they're melting from the extreme heat and mercury bursts out of the top of the thermometer, the sun is moving closer and she can't take it anymore and she screams and collapses.

On a shallow note Lois Nettleton is gorgeous in the closeups in that scene. Maybe it's just all the sweat but she was looked stunning.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

She was like take me back to the good old days of the Thirties! When most people were out of work, standing in bread lines?

No, more like "when I was young and beautiful and was having the time of my life in a career that I loved."  In other words, it was all about her and trying to hold on to her lost youth at all costs.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

No, more like "when I was young and beautiful and was having the time of my life in a career that I loved."  In other words, it was all about her and trying to hold on to her lost youth at all costs.

Yeah, I know. I was just being snarky. I've been listening to "Twilight Pwn" podcast review of the episode made fun of that and also her ranting about "current" movies having "actors with undershirts" and "jukeboxes"!

Edited by VCRTracking
On 9/3/2017 at 0:41 AM, VCRTracking said:

Whenever it's a really hot day anywhere people think of the season 3 TZ episode "Midnight Sun" where the Earth is moving closer and closer to the sun. People post on YouTube of the scene towards the end of the episode where artist Norma(Lois Nettleton) is surrounded by her paintings, and they're melting from the extreme heat and mercury bursts out of the top of the thermometer, the sun is moving closer and she can't take it anymore and she screams and collapses.

They did such a great job with the intensity of that scene. It's realistic enough to the point where I'm sweating just watching it!

Hope the weather cools back down as soon as possible for you guys! 100 degree days suck anytime, but still experiencing that kind of weather by the time September rolls around...well, that just ain't right. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Hope the weather cools back down as soon as possible for you guys! 100 degree days suck anytime, but still experiencing that kind of weather by the time September rolls around...well, that just ain't right. 

Thanks. It's lowering already. It's just that it rarely gets this hot in San Francisco of fog. We get usually our summer weather in October and rarely over 90 F.

"The Little People" is a third season episode I like just for the fact that it's another TZ episode like "Arrow in the Sky" where an astronaut is a total scumbag!

Edited by VCRTracking
On 7/4/2014 at 8:34 PM, merylinkid said:

Just saw Nightmare at 20,000 Feet on the SciFi Channel marathon.   All I could think is how different everything would have been if Bob had just taken a train home.  I mean what doctor sends a guy who has a nervous breakdown while flying home on a plane?   Sure he was "cured."   Sure it was the era of "get back on the horse." but come on, it was also the era where train travel was still the norm.   Take the train, no little green man.  

Eh, who knows? The little green man could have sabotaged something on the train too...

I've never really understood the ending of "The Trouble With Templeton"...does the script Booth finds at the end mean that the ghosts of his past were just playing with him, trying to get him to stop living in the past? Or was it more about his romanticizing Laura, and not having realized just how she truly was until time had passed?

9 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I recently caught "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street" for the first time and thought how true it is...it takes so little for people to stop trusting one another and let chaos break loose because of really no reason.

It's scary how relevant that episode still is to this very day. You could play it now and it would still resonate. 

• Love 2
On 9/11/2017 at 11:46 AM, SnarkySheep said:

I've never really understood the ending of "The Trouble With Templeton"...does the script Booth finds at the end mean that the ghosts of his past were just playing with him, trying to get him to stop living in the past? Or was it more about his romanticizing Laura, and not having realized just how she truly was until time had passed?

I think it was the former.  Booth needed to realize that he was wasting his life trying to live in the past and that it was time to let go and move on.  The Night Gallery episode "They're Tearing Down Bill Riley's Bar" had a similar theme and made the same point about learning to let go and move on so that one can learn to live in and enjoy the present.

• Love 1
On 8/13/2014 at 11:10 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

"What You Need" is on right now. I'm fond of this one - probably because the man playing the mysterious peddler is just so good.

There's a vulnerability to him that I found so endearing. I just thought he was adorable.

Also, the woman he gave the stain remover to was the creepy morgue attendent in "22" "Room for one more honey!"\

The bangs made her look less creepy though.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Fairlily26 said:

There's a vulnerability to him that I found so endearing. I just thought he was adorable.

Also, the woman he gave the stain remover to was the creepy morgue attendent in "22" "Room for one more honey!"\

The bangs made her look less creepy though.  

Yeah, you can really sympathize with his frustration, and at the end, his fear, as he puts up with that guy who's hounding him. I like the episode, too.

Thanks to my mom's love of the Monkees and their TV show, I've also seen that woman in a couple episodes of that show :D. She played villainous/scheming type characters there, too. 

"Twenty-Two" creeps me out so much. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, you can really sympathize with his frustration, and at the end, his fear, as he puts up with that guy who's hounding him. I like the episode, too.

Thanks to my mom's love of the Monkees and their TV show, I've also seen that woman in a couple episodes of that show :D. She played villainous/scheming type characters there, too. 

"Twenty-Two" creeps me out so much. 

I had the pleasure of seeing that episode, late at night during a New Year's marathon when I was about 12, ugh I did NOT sleep well that night...those eyebrows....*shudder*

And the way they filmed it, I forgot what the format was called, but it made it even more creepy.

I forgot what season it originally aired. but I love "A world of his own" .

I'm a writer myself and if I could create people, like my favorite game The Sims I would lol.

• Love 2

I’m not sure if this is the right spot to post this:

http://tvline.com/2017/11/02/the-twilight-zone-revival-cbs-all-access/

I guess CBS is happy with Star Trek Discovery’s ratings (it's been renewed) that they’re reviving the Twilight Zone.   The 80s version was meh, the 2002 version was ok but I’m not paying to see this.  Rod Serling would need to be involved for me to even consider and I know that won’t happen.

I've had the marathon on most of the afternoon (just as background), but noticed that they are airing 'The Invaders' right now.  That's always been one of my favorites, mainly because of the ending.  I think I also like it because it was one of my mom's favorites as well.  Agnes Morehead was so good in this one, especially having to act with no dialogue.  So many of the twist endings can be so obvious (although I don't know if they were obvious back when the episodes were first shown.  We viewers of today are used to the twists in shows, I guess), but I don't think I figured it out when I first saw it years ago.  

• Love 3