Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E15: Top 6 Perform + Elimination

• Start Topic

However, I do hope the top two are Jaja and Gaby.

I can't imagine any other outcome.  I find myself on Team Jaja now, which is disconcerting because she was such a heavy favorite coming into the season, I didn't want to join up.  (Yes, I'm perverse.)  Gaby has stood out to me far more in the group numbers, where she has grabbed my attention among her peers, and her solos are ok, but I find her stiff in her partner dancing, which are the most memorable to me.  (Except for that piece with Robert, which is by far my favorite of anyone's this season.)  Jaja hasn't seemed as versatile in the group numbers and I don't love her own style, although I can see she is very good.  But she has thrown herself into the duets with gusto and has toned down the faces to the point where I feel like she is living the characters rather than putting them on.  I think she has risen to a high level of dancing and I can imagine her getting better exponentially.  I feel like she has grown into her star quality, whereas I feel like Gaby hasn't gotten there, yet.

However, Gaby looks a lot more tired, which reminds me, I feel like something has been off for Megz in the past few weeks.  She also has looked tired, and strained.  I have no inside scoop, but it almost looks to me as though Megz has been dancing through some kind of injury.  If Megz had continued on her trajectory from the early weeks, I can easily imagine her being one of my top 2 for the season.

I'll probably change my mind next week.

• Love 1

I have nothing to add. Jim was my favourite. I dare say he was the best dancer, or at least the most trained. He has a genuine personality and wears his heart in his sleeve. Honestly, Jim Time! His affection for his mentor had me in tears.

tl;dr Jim is gone and so am I. I don't care who wins.

Edited by catalogrrr
  • Love 4

catalogrrr, me too.  Jim was perhaps not the best fit for the prize offered this year, and I am fine with his not winning.  What I am upset about is that I am cheated out of what - 3, 4, more? - dances I could have enjoyed if he had not been eliminated.  Jim has been my one of my all-time favorites and I am sad I don't get to see more of him and his talent on this show.  Really, THREE hip-hop dances?  Sigh.  I console myself that he has gotten tons of exposure and can hopefully pursue his dreams from here.  Obviously he has gained a lot of fans/admirers, if nothing else.

• Love 3

catalogrrr, me too.  Jim was perhaps not the best fit for the prize offered this year, and I am fine with his not winning.  What I am upset about is that I am cheated out of what - 3, 4, more? - dances I could have enjoyed if he had not been eliminated.  Jim has been my one of my all-time favorites and I am sad I don't get to see more of him and his talent on this show.  Really, THREE hip-hop dances?  Sigh.  I console myself that he has gotten tons of exposure and can hopefully pursue his dreams from here.  Obviously he has gained a lot of fans/admirers, if nothing else.

Agreed on all counts. I think the only other occasion I've been quite this bummed about an elimination was Tucker in S10. I was really hoping for a kick-ass ballet piece from him and one of the ballet all-stars. Although there have been some hints that there will be something cool for him in the finale-finale? Here's hoping it's something legit awesome.

I'm catching up on this season via hulu, so it's all been there done that, but I just want to say how much I love Megz and what she brought to the show, especially in this episode's dance with Hailee. Ever since Season 1, I have been bitching about the gender conformity on the show. Why do the couples have to be male/female? Why do all the girls have to be so femmy, and why do the guys have to disguise their sexuality? Why are heterosexual love relationships the only ones worth dancing about? What about brothers, sisters, friends, *gasp* same-sex couples? 

Well, I have to say that the show has come a long way in that department. It was a gradual thing. There was Travis's rise through the ranks. There was Sasha. There was trailblazing choreography along the way. But Megz is the first true gender nonconformist. And the Megz /Hailee dance was a great moment--a moment when a dance between two women was nothing to comment on specifically. It was just a dance between two dancers. I love that. Even though Megz didn't win, I feel like she made a big mark.

• Love 2