Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor's Remorse - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The third episode took a major shift that was unfortunate . The concept of survivors remorse of a professional athlete and a woman wanting to get an operation on her lady parts is confusing. Then again the thought process that would allow a mother to ask her son to pay any medical costs not covered by insurance was a sign of becoming out of touch with reality.

• Love 1

How do you think it's changed? To me it's the same combination of family drama, humor, lessons on what it means to make it out of the hood/give back/avoid riff-raff, etc. All presented with the foulest of language. Which I don't mind, but it might bother some. I cannot imagine cursing that much around my mother and talking openly about my sex life, even as an adult.

Did they get new writers? I enjoyed the first season but hated the first two episodes of this season so much I deleted the season pass.

Last season I cared about the characters and made decisions I understood. This season (only two eps, for once I actually remembered to delete it), I wanted to slap so many people and thought that every decision was not only stupid it was out of character for the characters I had grown to like.

I'm so happy there's finally a forum--I love this show! 

The dialogue is filthy and some of the story lines are outrageous, but I live in an ulta-conservative socio-religio-politio area and I need this show.

The only thing I've really hated was the minister bamboozling the long-term, devoted, gay members of his congregation and choir to stand up and reach out for acceptance, so he could shame them.  My neighbors would have liked that episode.

Otherwise, I always really enjoy the small throwaway scenes, like "No such thing as a free lunch <chomp chomp>" and the uncle rockin' out the national anthem. 

It looks like Cam's going to become involved in a serious relationship, which sounds boring.  I can see why actors always say it's so much more fun to play a villain than a good guy.

• Love 1

It looks like Cam's going to become involved in a serious relationship, which sounds boring. I can see why actors always say it's so much more fun to play a villain than a good guy.

I know the show is about Cam, but I actually prefer the episodes that don’t focus so much on him. IMO Reggie is the most compelling character on the show (probably because RonReaco Lee along with Tichina Arnold are the strongest actors of the bunch).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I tried watching this show when it premiered, but I didn't get into it. I watched this S3 premiere after Power tonight, and I really loved it. Funny and touching. And next week looks great, too.

I enjoyed the episode. Some great performances from RonReaco Lee, Tichina Arnold, and Erica Ash (M-Chuck). 

But I wish we would have found out during the episode that the accident occurred because the uncle was reaching to the floor for his weed pipe and ran a red light. It would have possibly distilled some of M-Chuck's unnecessary anger toward the new girlfriend. Not to mention the girlfriend's unfounded guilt. And Cam wouldn't have torched the new car. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, topanga said:

I enjoyed the episode. Some great performances from RonReaco Lee, Tichina Arnold, and Erica Ash (M-Chuck). 

But I wish we would have found out during the episode that the accident occurred because the uncle was reaching to the floor for his weed pipe and ran a red light. It would have possibly distilled some of M-Chuck's unnecessary anger toward the new girlfriend. Not to mention the girlfriend's unfounded guilt. And Cam wouldn't have torched the new car. 

We did find out that he ran a red light and that weed was found in his car...

I really wasn't feeling any emotion from Tichina Arnold in this episode, to be honest. For some reason, I just felt like she was acting and it took me out of the scene (though I love her relationship with her boo). But Cam, M-Chuck and Reggie's performances were great. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, lovetowrite73 said:

We did find out that he ran a red light and that weed was found in his car... 

But the other characters didn't know it. They still thought he had the accident because the car stalled. Or maybe because the truck driver was drunk.

• Love 1

Last night's episode pissed me all the way off. The wife's insistence on Reggie rewriting the thank you note then groveling to get the old note back was a bit much. I get that they're social climbers but to lose your self-respect in the process...And then to have the woman send a note back and call Julius Julian was hilarious. Serves the wife right.

I'm glad that Cassie showed up at M-Chuck's therapy session. I hope it helps whatever M-Chuck is going through.

I wouldn't think the female circumcision would be allowed/condoned in the states. What happens when this child returns to school on Monday and has trouble urinating? If teachers are mandated reporters, won't the parents be charged with abuse? Even if its culturally accepted , it ain't USA accepted.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

I wouldn't think the female circumcision would be allowed/condoned in the states. What happens when this child returns to school on Monday and has trouble urinating? If teachers are mandated reporters, won't the parents be charged with abuse? Even if its culturally accepted , it ain't USA accepted.

Oh, hell yes.  Child Protective Services, abuse and assault charges, the whole nine yards.  Which doesn't help that little girl at all.

I had something of a problem with Mary Charles and the others withdrawing their personal involvement, but then doing zero to interfere in a pro-active sense.  Maybe they wouldn't want to be embroiled in another publicity whirlwind, but this would have been a GOOD place for their celebrity-adjacent status to draw some attention.

Edited by candall
  • Love 5

I thought they should have called Child Protective Services on the spot. The direct parallel they drew between female circumcision and male circumcision was superficial at best. Yes, families get together and have a luncheon while it takes place. Female circumcision, female genital mutilation is a more appropriate term, removes the vast majority of a woman's ability to climax. Male circumcision removes a flap of skin that doesn't make a whole lot of difference either way (unless they screw up the procedure).

• Love 3
On 8/1/2016 at 9:19 AM, lovetowrite73 said:

Last night's episode pissed me all the way off. The wife's insistence on Reggie rewriting the thank you note then groveling to get the old note back was a bit much. I get that they're social climbers but to lose your self-respect in the process...And then to have the woman send a note back and call Julius Julian was hilarious. Serves the wife right.

I'm glad that Cassie showed up at M-Chuck's therapy session. I hope it helps whatever M-Chuck is going through.

Catching up: I liked the episode because it showed Missy and M-Chuck being vulnerable. M-Chuck's was more heartfelt, of course. But Missy's vulnerability came from wanting to return (and bring the rest of the family) the world of the upper-class black person. Not that I'm endorsing being bougie. But there's something to be said for manners and displays of etiquette. 

I also liked the "Photoshoot" episode--it highlighted issues of colorism and internalized hatred that we still deal with daily. I thought Missy was 100% right. But I'm sorry that the light-skinned model lost the job and the exposure.

On 8/24/2016 at 9:01 AM, terrymct said:

I thought they should have called Child Protective Services on the spot. The direct parallel they drew between female circumcision and male circumcision was superficial at best. Yes, families get together and have a luncheon while it takes place. Female circumcision, female genital mutilation is a more appropriate term, removes the vast majority of a woman's ability to climax. Male circumcision removes a flap of skin that doesn't make a whole lot of difference either way (unless they screw up the procedure).

That's what I'd hoped. Just because the "bath" wasn't going to take place at their house didn't mean it wasn't going to happen at all. That poor little girl. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Not sure what I think about tonight's episode, in which Cam dips into Uncle J's stash, and the truth (?) comes out about M-Chucks father.... Is anyone else watching this show? I love it, but no one I know watches it...

Yes, I watch it, and it's a well-written, well-acted show. I'm a few episodes behind, though. I think the show needs more love, more publicity. I actually learned about it when it was advertised on another network. But I haven't seen any TV ads in a while. I'm hoping TPTB haven't stopped promoting the show. 

• Love 3

It's one of my favorite shows.  Too bad the seasons are so short--next week's the Season Finale already!  Considering that the comedy parts are funny and the controversial topics they hit are current and provocative, I'm always surprised there's not more traffic on this thread.

I was not happy about the talking fetus.  He did make that one (lip-service) statement about not wanting to chip away further at women's rights, but everything else was accusations and guilt-tripping.  You could hardly design anything more Pro-Life than a fantasy sequence with a talking fetus regretting he wasn't born.

They had the ex-girlfriend pop in later to say that it had been her decision to make, she had a good life and she'd made the right choice.  But if that was their small way of showing "balance," it was grossly insufficient.

Let's see the (much more realistic) fantasy sequence where Cam's basketball days are over with high school graduation, neither one of them goes to college, she stays home raising a baby and he gets an unskilled labor job because he has a family to support.  Eventually she's the worn out head of a single parent household and Cam has visitation on Wednesdays and every other weekend (if the boss doesn't schedule him to work.)  Any regrets or accusations or resentment in that picture?

And what about Mom and Reggie and M. Chuck--what paths did their lives go down when Cam's a wage-earner baby-daddy instead of a sports star?  The old neighborhood looks pretty tough, but they're good strong people, maybe their lives wouldn't ever have been touched by drugs or violence.  Only they sure as hell wouldn't be living in any giant mansion in Atlanta--and neither would Cam's kid, so you can knock off the "Gee, this looks like it would have been a terrific place to live" sadz, Fetus.

Edited by candall
  • Love 5

Well, this episode took an unexpected turn. I might be done with Survivor's Remorse now.

You could hardly design anything more Pro-Life than a fantasy sequence with a talking fetus regretting he wasn't born.

Yes, and it was apparently triggered by his learning that his sister was the product of a gang rape. Despite the horrific circumstances of her conception, her mother gave birth to and raised her anyway albeit with a lot of emotional abuse and what is likely projected anger. Meanwhile, he and his high school girlfriend do some youthful fooling around, she decides to purse her legal option not to proceed with the pregnancy, and they both go on to enjoy charmed and successful lives.

To my knowledge nothing good has come from men trying to qualify what is and isn't "real" rape and then deciding the woman shouldn't be allowed to terminate the pregnancy regardless. Meanwhile, women of a certain socioeconomic status are probably always going to have the option whether it's legal or not. I'm saddened that the showrunner(s) chose to go down this road.

• Love 6

I came to this show really late, and binge-watched the first 2 seasons in about a week. I remember early on in the first season, I think, maybe even the very first show, that Cam gave a speech and said "thanks Mom for not aborting me" ---- or something to that effect.  Abortion is a topic nuanced enough that I don't care to see it tackled by this show. The race, LGBT, interracial, FGM stuff is, to me, just fine because there are clearer rights & wrongs on those topics.  There are people I respect who think that abortion is wrong under all circumstances, period, fullstop, and therefore they are obligated to act against what they see as murder. I think they're horribly wrong, but if you accept their consistent premise (anti death penalty, antiwar, etc), then I can at least see their viewpoint. Sorry -- do not mean to get into a debate about abortion --- but yes the talking fetus thing was a massive turnoff for me. And I remember almost not watching past whatever previous show it was in which Cam mentioned abortion in his basketball-signing speech.

I doubt this was intended, but the friendship/mentorship between Mary Charles and Jimmy Flaherty has become my favorite thing about the show. And I pretty much love the show, Sure, some of the scenes have been way too explicit for my taste, but overall, I love it. I'm binge-watching Season 3 today, and I hope there's a Season 4 coming.

• Love 3

oh man, it was so awesome to rewatch the entire Season Three before the new show tonight. I love love love so much about this show. I can't believe so few people are watching it!! It has a great ensemble cast, laugh-out-loud funny moments, cry-with-identification scenes, friendship and sabotage and conflict and camaradarie.... I guess I'll see if anyone comes out to play before talking about Season Four, Episode One...

• Love 3

I still need to watch last season's finale. But I will gladly return once I watch the first ep of Season 4. 

I really love this show. But I agree that more people should be watching it.

• Love 1

Oh M-Chuck, I think that closure was absolutely perfect for you! And Pook made me ALMOST -- almost -- not miss Uncle Julius. RonReaco was amazing during his "what-if" scene, talking to Missy about his fears. A change of pace episode, but one I liked, for sure.

On 9/4/2017 at 3:31 PM, TeapotWakeen said:

Oh M-Chuck, I think that closure was absolutely perfect for you! And Pook made me ALMOST -- almost -- not miss Uncle Julius. RonReaco was amazing during his "what-if" scene, talking to Missy about his fears. A change of pace episode, but one I liked, for sure.

A great episode. Reggie has become my favorite character on the show, probably because RonReaco Lee kills it in every scene.  His conversation with Missy confused me a little. Is he worried that his life has too much familial drama for Missy to handle? Is he worried that he's going to turn into his father?

I find it interesting that both Reggie and Missy's mom worry that he isn't 'right' for her. The writers had better not break them up, or I will be thoroughly pissed. I love their marriage, and they clearly love each other. Don't create relationship drama just to make the season interesting.

Tonight's episode was just okay. Too much Cam and not enough Reggie and Missy. I know the show is about Cam, and I like his character, but his storyline isn't all that compelling. Could it be the acting.

I'm with Allison. I wanted to beat down the women who called her basic. I actually got upset at Cam when the women were saying--in front of Allison--that they wanted to take him home, and he just laughed it off. He's such a people pleaser. Never wants to be direct with anyone!

• Love 1

I thought the live-streamed radiocast was hysterical. Actually, I thought it was a near-perfect episode --- Missy and Reggie with some sweet, sweet loving... the livecast just had me rolling (esp. the hashtags!!)... yeah, the women going up on Cam and him not defending Allison was some BS, but it did show Cam for the clueless guy he usually is. I'm probably going to use this episode to try to get some of my friends hooked.

I watched the last four episodes of Season Four all in a row and as it got closer to Episode 10, the promos started emphasizing "Series Finale."

So, it looks like that's that.  Bummer--they had some interesting storylines going there.  And I don't think they were anticipating cancellation because there weren't any moves that "this could possibly be wrap-up or maybe this situation will go further."  Oh, except for Cam's father--he seemed to have closure with Cassie and fulfill the purpose with Cam that he was introduced to make.

I was looking forward to the conflict when Reg and Missy lost all their money and suddenly had a different economic status from Cam and the rest of the fams.  I can think of several serious problems that would cause, and some potential for Cassie and Mary Charles to toss out those funny acerbic observations and for Chen's lack of nuance.

Well, that's a shame. 

• Love 4