Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: How Does A Girl Like You Get To Be A Girl Like You

In the wake of her breakup with Emmett, Bay decides to refocus her energy on school and signs up for a Spanish class, only to discover that the new harassment policy has put her in the spotlight. Daphne learns that her D in Chemistry will affect her scholarship. John finds himself under serious financial strain as Kathryn makes plans to produce her musical herself. Meanwhile, Daphne and Mingo have a major difference of opinion that leaves Daphne with doubts about their compatibility.

It appears that Bay will now move on from Emmett. I guess her period of mourning is over.

We'll see if Daphne does anything to try to keep her scholarship.

Last week was the Bay episode. This is probably the Toby episode.

I realize that a lot of people hate Daphne - but she has her own demons ro contend with. She MUST become a doctor because that is why Bay took the fall for her. If she fails to become a doctor, then she will consider herself to be one of the biggest losers. She probably HAS to keep her scholarship.

If Bay is ever in trouble again with the law, Daphne's guilt will be overwhelming.

Note to John.....this is why you tell your wife when you find out you lost all your money.  So she doesn't keep spending like a crazy person.

I normally don't hate Daphne, but I thought she was kind of awful to Toby.  He has valid points about not being ready to be a father (regardless of the Down's syndrome). And she was making it all about herself not feeling accepted.  Very supportive of your brother there.

• Love 13

Note to John.....this is why you tell your wife when you find out you lost all your money. So she doesn't keep spending like a crazy person.

I normally don't hate Daphne, but I thought she was kind of awful to Toby. He has valid points about not being ready to be a father (regardless of the Down's syndrome). And she was making it all about herself not feeling accepted. Very supportive of your brother there.

(bolding mine) I agree 100%. If Toby had asked her opinion that would've been different. But this isn't about her, she's not the one who's pregnant or may be a father in x weeks. As a Sib (sibling of someone with a disability), I LOVE this show, and I'm sure that there is a Sib in the writers room. Whatever Lily decides, I liked the fact that the writers addressed her experience as a Sib and how that would effect her decision (either way). REALLY good writing there.
  • Love 9

My brother and wife had to make a similar decision but they already had kids. My father, who had multiple siblings with developmental issues, was the most supportive of termination. He and his developmental normal siblings still take care of one of the others. This is a life long decision that can effect not only the parents but every one in the family and future family members. It is not a decision to be taken likely.

Beyond that, I dislike when people, in real life, comment on what people should or should not do about unexpected pregnancies. Even when asked for their opinion, giving it can cause many issues.

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 15

Apparently I've never recognized that the Kennish's were THAT rich. That there's a presumption they'd just have 50 grand floating around? Fascinating. What does John do now? Just the car wash?  That can't possibly keep them in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed, can it? Residuals from his baseball career? Residuals from her book?

Apparently I've never recognized that the Kennish's were THAT rich. That there's a presumption they'd just have 50 grand floating around? Fascinating. What does John do now? Just the car wash?  That can't possibly keep them in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed, can it? Residuals from his baseball career? Residuals from her book?

Doesn't he coach the baseball team at whatever school they all go to? Or did he lose that job? My memories of this show are all jumbled.

• Love 1

My brother and wife had to make a similar decision but they already had kids. My father, who had multiple siblings with developmental issues, was the most supportive of termination. He and his developmental normal siblings still take care of one of the others. This is a life long decision that can effect not only the parents but every one in the family and future family members. It is not a decision to be taken likely.

Beyond that, I dislike when people, in real life, comment on what people should or should not do about unexpected pregnancies. Even when asked for their opinion, giving it can cause many issues.

Amen, to your entire post.
  • Love 1

I know that Daphne means well, but her constant self importance, especially with Toby, really got on my nerves tonight. Toby was right. This is not Daphne`s choice, and trying to make it for him is not being caring, its just being meddlesome in the worst way possible. 

I do actually like Daphne`s new boy. He seems nice, in a doofy kind of way. It wont last long, but its nice that there is someone who is not drowning in drama on this show.

Thought all of Bay`s story was pretty well done. A lot more than her break up induced psychotic break last week. 

• Love 6

I don't think Daphne was trying to tell Toby what to do, I think she just wanted to give him a different perspective on the Downs.  But it came across wrong because Toby is still reeling from the news and decision and Daphne didn't lead with how she loves him no matter what (or something like that)...  Plus when she came over she didn't know they have made that decision, and didn't know how to rephrase or let go or change her approach after that.  So just a bunch of miscommunication and mishearing.  

I can't believe John hasn't told Katherine about the money issues.  I mean, I can - it's John, but I can't because he's come so far in so many ways.  Grr...

I'm liking Bay having a story outside of a love relationship (although they may be going that way with Travis).  I wish they'd do the same with Daphne.  Mingo is another in a long line bad matched boyfriends.

It seems like this season may be a little slow judging by these first two episodes, which is fine I guess.  

I know Daphne's heart is in the right place and she made some good points, but she's really over-stepping her bounds with Toby. He and Lily have a very tough decision to make and it should be their decision to make alone. Daphne shouldn't be trying to influence him in any way and it's unfair for her to guilt him into doing what she thinks is right, especially if he and Lily are not capable of handling it. 

Kathryn just writing a check for 50K without even thinking twice cracked me up. Must be good to be rich, although I guess she and John no longer are. But seriously how'd they go from having millions presumedly to John not being able to afford to fix his car? I get his most of his assets might be tied up but doesn't he have multiple car washes? Unless business is bad, he'd still have a decent amount of money coming in.

Man, can't Bay ever just be happy? She finally seems to be making a positive step forward in her life by attending a college class and of course she has to deal with everyone knowing her personal business and talking about her. It was nice seeing Bay and Mary Beth joking and smiling in class while looking through fake Tinder before it all inevitably came crashing down for her, like usual. Wonder if Bay is ever going to find out that Mary Beth basically thinks she got herself raped.

Poor precious Travis. His confession to Bay was heartbreaking and unfortunately very realistic. Kids like Travis truly are more vulnerable to sexual abuse. And it's such a taboo subject for people to talk about, especially for young men, so I appreciate the show raising that issue. Sexual assault is way too common and I don't think people realize that it's very likely that someone they're close to may have dealt with it personally, so to see Bay and Travis supporting each other was great.

And I know Bay doesn't need a man to swoop in and save her but I find Travis's protective side kind of sweet. But I also liked that she stood up for herself and told him to back off. I don't think I'd mind if they got together at this point because I like them both and as long as Bay doesn't get back with Emmett, I'm happy, although I imagine Bay and Travis would cause some drama with Mary Beth and I don't want that. But keeping Bay and Travis as good friends with no romantic feelings between them would be refreshing since shows rarely give a straight guy and girl screen time together if it's not leading somewhere romantic.    

• Love 7

John seems to be sort of the SAB equivalent of George Brett*, star third baseman who played his entire career for the Royals and was a prolific doubles hitters. Brett also lives in Mission Hills, Kansas, and judging by his house he's also done pretty well money wise. Playing salary + endorsement deals + smart investments would fund their lifestyle.

Back in early season 1 they said that John owned a whole chain of successful car washes in the KC area, but that seems to have mostly fallen away and they've focused on just one car wash.

*A picture of Brett in uniform signing autographs helped inspired the Lorde song, Royals. I've always wondered if in the SAB world a picture of John ever inspired a hit pop song.

Doesn't he coach the baseball team at whatever school they all go to? Or did he lose that job? My memories of this show are all jumbled.

He was still the head coach at the end of the previous batch of episodes and they haven't said anything about him losing that job. He might also still be a state senator as well.

College baseball managers don't make huge salaries like football and basketball coaches, but at most schools his kids would probably be in line for discounted or free tuition because of his position on the coaching staff.

Edited by Perfect Xero

I have just about had it with this show. 

They have mangled the Lily pregnancy story beyond any possible satisfactory conclusion. Which may be the point, but it's frustrating to watch. I really, really want some show, some time, to approach abortion as something that women consider because they're not ready to be a parent yet, and not throwing every other possible complication in. I guess that's not this show. It's incredibly disappointing that they've taken what is already a difficult storyline that, honestly, a lot of teens deal with (unexpected pregnancy), and coated it with a discussion of disability rights, which basically makes Lily a monster if she has an abortion now. I just don't see how this can end well now in any way unless she has a miscarriage, which would be the most lazy way out possible for the writers. Ugh.

And Bay, good lord. Girl will never catch a break, never ever.  And now they're setting her up as some kind of de facto rape counselor for everyone else in their universe? Although I really, really feel for Travis. That was the most realistic and heartbreaking part of this show.

Daphne and her Aston Kutcher boyfriend are getting old, although I did like that he's finally trying to learn Lou Gehrig's disease. I have to admit that I totally forgot bowtie guy even existed until this episode. Wasn't sure about his whole posturing/jealousy thing, though. Does everyone have to have a flame for Daphne?

I agree that John's actions are out of character now. I would have believed it of season 1 John, but he and Katherine have had so much growth as a couple I find it hard to believe he'd keep this from her. And seriously, Katherine. At some monetary level you're supposed to consult with your spouse when you spend money, and I would bet that even at their level of income, 50k is above that mark.

Bah. I hope things pick up as the season goes along.

• Love 4

It gets my hackles up to see other people getting their moment on the soapbox on such a personal decision.  If termination is the decision,  Lily probably has to face even more interference at an abortion clinic in the Bible belt.  She may be better off returning to the UK. 

Poor precious Travis. His confession to Bay was heartbreaking and unfortunately very realistic. Kids like Travis truly are more vulnerable to sexual abuse. And it's such a taboo subject for people to talk about, especially for young men, so I appreciate the show raising that issue. Sexual assault is way too common and I don't think people realize that it's very likely that someone they're close to may have dealt with it personally, so to see Bay and Travis supporting each other was great.

It really is taboo in our culture, unless prison rape is being dramatized/exploited/joked about.  I was surprised to see it raised here, and thought Bay's low-key response was very good.

• Love 3

I thought this was a really nicely done episode--maybe the best in a long time--for some of the same reasons Sarah discusses in her recap with the themes from different storylines echoing and enhancing each other. I'm never a fan of Daphne inserting her opinion into others' lives unwarranted, but here I thought it did work and wasn't her trying to be selfish, but more trying to make her brother understand a different viewpoint. (I thought it was really nice also to see them refer to themselves as brother and sister and use "mom and dad" with complete ease. I don't believe it's always been that way with them and in previous seasons Toby and Daphne have felt a bit more estranged.)

I also thought Travis's revelation was nicely handled in that...it really does explain a lot about him -- his reaction last year to what happened and to Mary Beth's stance on it as well as his rocky relationship with his parents (who granted also seem like assholes in general). It could have felt really contrived and tacked on but it actually fit in pretty well with what we already knew about Travis. I thought Ryan Lane played it well and I liked Bey's response too. I don't think they're going to go down a romantic route for those two, but I really like them as very good friends.

And I'm really glad they're not dragging on the Emmett stuff with Bay. Just...really glad. It's nice to see her happy and excited about that art program in Mexico. I was glad to see Mary Beth back too. I think her response initially to the Bay should have been more careful felt pretty contrived because they needed someone in the episode to bring up the idea of victim-blaming. It doesn't really fit with MB's persona as established that she'd believe that I think, but no doubt, that's the point. People react in ways you don't expect, etc. I hope it actually doesn't come up as an issue between her and Bay.

Poor John is raring up for heart attack #2, eh? I guess he'll be driving an electric car next week. I also did not guess the Kennishes were so well off that they could give $150K a year to charity/schools without sweating it.

• Love 2

If this episode were a person, I’d watch to punch it in the face.

Oy. Daphne’s perennial “my life is no harder than a hearing person’s” spiel always just feels so disingenuous. Especially since the show constantly shows how difficult being deaf is in a world where pretty much everyone is hearing. But no, missing a sense is no big deal. Okay. And sure, Daph, life with a baby with Down’s is no different than life with a baby who doesn’t have it. Uh huh. Although exceptions do exist, sometimes “different” DOES equal “worse”, princess.

$10 says Lily and Toby don't abort.

I was completely with Toby. As a side note, his Hitler Youth haircut is annoying.

• Love 7

I could be making this up, but I feel like Daphne has always maintained that her life is more difficult than it would have been if she was hearing.  I swear that she complained about the struggles she faced in her chemistry class last season...I mean, even Mingo made a comment about that during their little argument (to which Daphne replied she was just "venting" or however she put it).  And I know that she was just trying to offer Toby a different perspective, but I felt supremely irritated that she was interfering in a decision that had nothing to do with her.  Lily has first-hand experience in dealing with a family member with a genetic disorder, so she is the expert here, not you Daphne!  

Every person that Mingo is introduced to seems to find him off-putting, don't they?  Can't say I'm a fan, either.  I hope we're not going the "Mingo is secretly an awesome guy and great boyfriend" route.  

I'm enjoying the Bay/Travis friendship, but I hope that things remain platonic.  Travis has dated Bay's sister as well as her good friend, and Travis/Bay both just got out of serious relationships.  Bad idea!

• Love 6

I laughed aloud when John knocked everything off his desk in frustration in the last scene of the episode - Kathryn had only left the room about....3 seconds, max? before he did that? But I guess she sprinted upstairs and put on headphones in those couple of seconds, as she didn't turn around all "WTF?!" right outside his door as papers came flying into the foyer.

• Love 6

I really thought the Travis and Bay stuff was well done. The revelation fits into his backstory that we already know, and actually does explain a lot. The whole conversation that had was really simple and heartbreaking. I love their friendship and I pray it never turns romantic. 

• Love 8

I'm beyond frustrated with Daphne.  No, raising a child with Down's Syndrome is not just a mere little "adjustment."  She must have used that word a million times this episode.  It is a lifetime commitment, and depending on the severity, super expensive for a young teacher and a guy who doesn't even have a full time job or college education.  Health insurance only goes so far, and not far enough for all the extra care that is required.  Oh, yeah, and it's hard to care for a child with or without Down's...who is going to stay home with a Down's baby all day since day care and baby-sitters with the necessary skills aren't so easy to come by.  Anyway, it's not Daphne's decision, she isn't the one who will need to be responsible for caring for this child all day every day for the rest of its life, and it's none of her business if the parents don't want or can't make that little teeny tiny "adjustment."

As for her scholarship, perhaps less Mingo and dorm games, and more studying would have helped her do better than a D.  Did she suck in all her other classes that one D brought her down below the GPA she needed to keep her scholarship?  Maybe she ought to consider how she's going to bring up her GPA overall instead of worrying about other people's problems, and Mingo.

I'm glad Bay went back to the Spanish class. 

John needs to get over himself and tell everyone to stop spending his money like drunken sailors on shore leave.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8

One the one hand, I really get where Daphne is coming from. Growing up with something different, watching someone come to the conclusion that different = abort, she may truly wonder if Toby / society sees HER as having less worth. I didn't love the way Regina answered her, either, which may be where it all stems from.

As a special needs parent, I'm VERY honest with my son that YES, his/our life is harder in some ways. Why would I lie about that?  There's more to figure out, and it's harder, and sometime's it sucks - for him, for me, for the rest of the family.  But that doesn't mean it's not worth it - HE'S not worth it. We're all willing and wanting to work harder because it means we get HIM. Regina almost made it there with her "you make our lives richer" but clearly Daphne is not confident about it.

But that doesn't give her the right/place to try to sway Toby. If she had just said "this is how that makes me feel", that would be giving him information to process as he will, but as it was, she was really trying to push him away from his decision.

Meantime, with Toby and Lily's discussion, I was waiting for there to be a big misunderstanding about abortion vs. adoption, because neither of them spoke the word. I sort of wish that had been in the conversation as an option. She's far enough along (probably end of first trimester?  Given she's been dealing with it for "weeks" and already had testing done and results back) that getting an abortion will be both harder to get and a more involved procedure, so it seems almost odd that adoption isn't brought up as an option at all, even if it was just in passing. 

laughed aloud when John knocked everything off his desk in frustration in the last scene of the episode - Kathryn had only left the room about....3 seconds, max? before he did that? But I guess she sprinted upstairs and put on headphones in those couple of seconds, as she didn't turn around all "WTF?!" right outside his door as papers came flying into the foyer.

I thought the EXACT SAME THING! It was so close in timing that I expected her to walk back down the stairs, say "Honey?" and have them hug it out and him say "There's something I have to tell you" before the fade to black, but no. She didn't notice.

• Love 2
I'm beyond frustrated with Daphne.  No, raising a child with Down's Syndrome is not just a mere little "adjustment."  She must have used that word a million times this episode.  It is a lifetime commitment, and depending on the severity, super expensive for a young teacher and a guy who doesn't even have a full time job or college education.  Health insurance only goes so far, and not far enough for all the extra care that is required.

My father's sister (so I guess my Aunt but she died before I was born) had Down's. More than once she beat the heck out of my teeny little grandmother. I worked at a group home with folks with developmental disabilities. More than once I was hit. It can be MUCH harder to raise a Down's Syndrome Child than it is to raise a deaf child. And you're right, the responsibility goes on until either the child or the parent dies. 

As for her scholarship, perhaps less Mingo and dorm games, and more studying would have helped her do better than a D.  Did she suck in all her other classes that one D brought her down below the GPA she needed to keep her scholarship?

She must have because I don't think a D if everything else had been A's would bring her GPA to a dangerous level. Usually academic based scholarships are based on overall GPA not individual grades. 

John Kennish made millions of dollars playing baseball. $150,000 is almost nothing.

How long has it been since John has played? He had/has the car wash(es) as investments but they live pretty high on the hog. Many athletes go through their millions while playing if they aren't smart about putting money away. 

• Love 2

jammaker Toby said "we are leaning towards not having it", rather than "not keeping it", not having it reads "abortion" in my book.

Oh no, I totally get that when he was telling Daphne. I meant when Lily and Toby are talking about what to do, and neither of them say abortion, just beat around it with like "I think we know what we have to do" and "it makes the most sense". Given that they don't know each other THAT well and come from totally different backgrounds, I was sort of waiting for one to say abortion while the other said adoption. Because it would be another totally valid option to consider and possible given Lily's background that she would find it a better option.

But the show already did touch on adoption with Angelo, so obviously they won't go near that again.

I can't see this show, of all shows, going the abortion route though, not with a special needs baby especially. Which means they will parent it, no matter how much they don't want it and aren't ready for it.

My bet: it will turn out that the IRS is ready to ruin John, except that it turns out that if they give a substantial amount of their money to charity, the IRS will call it even (I know, but this is tv world, go with me here). So they are going "Oh no, what do we do, what charity can possibly take so much of our money?" and can't decide whether it's art or deafness or Angelo's heart disorder research, but then they find out about Toby and Lily's problem and OMG they can set up a foundation for Down Syndrome babies and then Toby and Lily can use it to take care of the baby because somehow that's still charity even if their son is the primary beneficiary, so they have it and then have the funding for a full-time personal assistant from birth to forever, and everyone is happy YAY.

ETA: And then Toby writes a book about it that is a bestseller so he becomes independently wealthy as well and Bay paints about it and sells her painting to a millionaire and Emmett wishes he had stuck with Bay but it is TOO LATE SORRY.

Edited by stopeslite
  • Love 4

And you're right, the responsibility goes on until either the child or the parent dies.

The responsibility goes on as long as that person is alive. The care just gets transferred to siblings or in my case now nieces and nephews as my father and aunts and uncle now have their own medical issues to deal with. My cousins and I have to help, which is fine. But these things need to be considered.

Raising a child who is deaf, while I am sure has its difficulties, is not the same as raising one with developmental issues. There is generally long term care and supervision that is needed for DS people that is not required for most Deaf people.

• Love 3

Not only that, but Daphne has magical lip-reading skills and is extremely intelligent, and has had a very supportive parent and a very, very good school situation. Contrast that to even Travis, and you can see how Travis may find deafness a lot more disabling as an adult than Daphne does. And most kids with any disability don't have a great self-contained school and community that fits their needs, nor a college program created just for them when they need it.

• Love 5

I think that even if Toby and Lily were in a very solid relationship and there were no financial issues i.e. Toby had a good job, it is still not Daphne's or anyone's place to substitute their judgment or interject their opinion unless asked.  No one but Lily is going to go through pregnancy, labor, delivery and postpartum and the stress and risks inherent to all of it.  There can be complications in any pregnancy and mothers still actually do die as a result.  I'm with Toby, Daphne does need to dial it back.  (Though as someone else mentioned, Toby has a haircut that makes it hard for me to take him too seriously.) 

• Love 3

I am still of the opinion that the John and Kathryn money woes is such a major contrivance both from the character perspective and from a financial reality perspective. Unless the Kennish's have been blowing through money they should have plenty to spend, given years of multi-million dollar contracts, endorsements and a relatively low cost of living in the KC metro area.   John's character seems to be based on George Brett (whose net worth BTW is around 15 million dollars), I still contend that they should have enough liquid investments to pay off taxes/penalties to the IRS or hire a good tax attorney to either get the charges downgraded or have the penalties spread over a number of years.  

Concerning Daphne's scholarship, as a university professor I can contend that most prestigious university scholarships have a GPA requirement (must maintain a 3.0 or 3.3 to keep the scholarship) and a requirement that the student receive no single grade below a C or a C-.  Her D in chemistry (even if she aced her other classes) would definitely put her scholarship in jeopardy at most institutions.  However, I have also noted that Daphne behaves unlike any first year pre-med scholarship student that I have ever encountered.  It must be nice that she has so much free time on her hands to hang with Mingo and butt into the personal lives of those closest to her.  Many of my students can barely keep the head above water with volunteer activities, part time work, and challenging classes.  

• Love 5

And Bay, good lord. Girl will never catch a break, never ever.  And now they're setting her up as some kind of de facto rape counselor for everyone else in their universe? 

Bay smiled when she said yes, she'd talk to the girl on Marybeth's floor so perhaps realizing she isn't alone in her experience and talking with others is helping her work through it. It's horrible that Travis can relate but it did seem like a weight was lifted of Bay's shoulders after he told her.

Why isn't anyone suggesting to Daphne that there is another option besides just asking John and Kathryn for the money: GET A JOB. Especially with the money stress right now, even if I knew it was all going to be fine, I'd certainly feel better if my child were willing to take on some of the load even if their contribution to the tuition was a minuscule amount. It'd still show a recognition that money doesn't grow on trees and an appreciation for what they are giving her. Toby should have suggested Daphne adopt the baby if she felt so strongly about it.

The decision on what to do regarding the pregnancy should be between Lily and Toby, no one else. If they want other people's input they can have it but like everyone else is saying Daphne really needs to shut up. What is this, the millionth time Daphne has "known best" what someone else should do?

• Love 2

I am still of the opinion that the John and Kathryn money woes is such a major contrivance both from the character perspective and from a financial reality perspective. Unless the Kennish's have been blowing through money they should have plenty to spend, given years of multi-million dollar contracts, endorsements and a relatively low cost of living in the KC metro area.   John's character seems to be based on George Brett (whose net worth BTW is around 15 million dollars), I still contend that they should have enough liquid investments to pay off taxes/penalties to the IRS or hire a good tax attorney to either get the charges downgraded or have the penalties spread over a number of years. 

Indeed. Also, while John is probably based on Brett, he's 10 years or so younger, and would have actually made a lot more money in his career because of the way salaries exploded in sports in the 90s and early 2000s. Just based on his age and the type of player they've indicated he is, I'd guess he probably made $70-$80 Million over his career in salary alone (Craig Biggio, who is a year or two younger than John made over $80 Million in salary over his career). Brett made $23 Million by comparison.

John and his family live well, but they don't act particularly frivolously with their money. In order for John to be tapped out, it would have to be more than tax problems, his accountant would have had to have been stealing large amounts of money from them for years.

• Love 2

Remember when Daphne used to be so pro-reproductive rights she went against her conservative senator boss? I guess the writers forgot.

I find it kind of refreshing seeing John dealing with money problems since he usually solves any problem that comes his way by throwing money at it. Now he might have to look for other solutions. Any time Daphne has had a problem, John has always swooped in to help with money. I am surprised she is as concerned about losing her scholarship as she is.

It seems if John needed to pay an unexpected tax bill, he could leverage his fame to raise some quick money such as appearing in a local commercial, making speeches or consulting with a company.

• Love 2

his accountant would have had to have been stealing large amounts of money from them for years.

That's where my mind went during all of the John scenes. Especially with John writing a check and handing it to the accountant - I'm probably reading way too much into it and seeing what I want to, but it seemed like the camera lingered a little on that shot.

• Love 4

Daphne arguing that being deaf didn't make her life harder was ridiculous. Of course it's harder. That doesn't mean it isn't still an awesome life that is worth living and the trouble that comes with it. I don't know why she was so stuck on that small point. 

• Love 9

It gets my hackles up to see other people getting their moment on the soapbox on such a personal decision. If termination is the decision, Lily probably has to face even more interference at an abortion clinic in the Bible belt. She may be better off returning to the UK.

I was just hearing that there is only ONE abortion clinic in Missouri. It is in St. Louis, and there is a 72-hour waiting period. So anyone who needs an abortion in MO has to be able to have the time and money to drive to St. Louis and stay there three days.

... and be able to get in under the deadline. When you consider that it's usually close to 8 weeks out before someone might even even realize they might be pregnant, and then if, like Lily, having some testing done and some agonizing time waiting to talk to other people, a woman could easily be 15 or so weeks along before calling the clinic for an appointment, and then has to hope there's an appointment spot still open before the 20 week deadline. 

Edited by stopeslite
  • Love 1

Here is some information on a first trimester test for Down's Syndrome.  I wonder why Lily would ask for testing at her age. There must be more to her back story that I haven't paid attention to.

http://www.babycenter.ca/a1487/screening-for-down-syndrome#section5

First trimester screening always involves both an ultrasound and bloodwork done at the same time. Integrated prenatal screening (IPS) adds a futher set of blood work done between 5-17 weeks.

First trimester screening has a higher false positive rate but you get the results faster. IPS has a lower false positive rate but takes longer to get the result.

So there is an out in the story line, should they choose to use it.

That's where my mind went during all of the John scenes. Especially with John writing a check and handing it to the accountant - I'm probably reading way too much into it and seeing what I want to, but it seemed like the camera lingered a little on that shot.

I had that thought as well, presumably it's a check made out to the IRS, so I don't know how much this guy could do with it, but John is taking an awful lot on the word of this one accountant that he just started working with. You'd think he'd get a third accountant in to verify.

Also, is the previous accountant dead or something? You'd think that John would at least try to contact him just to chew him out for screwing him over.

John seems to be sort of the SAB equivalent of George Brett*, star third baseman who played his entire career for the Royals and was a prolific doubles hitters. Brett also lives in Mission Hills, Kansas, and judging by his house he's also done pretty well money wise. Playing salary + endorsement deals + smart investments would fund their lifestyle.

Back in early season 1 they said that John owned a whole chain of successful car washes in the KC area, but that seems to have mostly fallen away and they've focused on just one car wash.

*A picture of Brett in uniform signing autographs helped inspired the Lorde song, Royals. I've always wondered if in the SAB world a picture of John ever inspired a hit pop song.

He was still the head coach at the end of the previous batch of episodes and they haven't said anything about him losing that job. He might also still be a state senator as well.

College baseball managers don't make huge salaries like football and basketball coaches, but at most schools his kids would probably be in line for discounted or free tuition because of his position on the coaching staff.

I've definitely always seen John as George Brett. Kansas City loves its former athletes who stayed in the area. There's absolutely no reason he should be completely out of money. I absolutely believe that the Kennishes were millionaires between his status as a former Royal and the car wash business. I thought they were setting it up that the accountant was embezzling money. And I doubt John was a full-time employee of the university. In most cases, the university will only give tuition discounts to full-time employees. But since UMKC doesn't even have a baseball team in real life, I don't really know. 

Also, Kansas City is a big area. UMKC is not the only college Bay has to choose from - she could make a fresh start somewhere else easily, and they still could have her involved in everyone else's storylines. 

Most definitely. I can think of at least 3 other colleges in Kansas City, plus about 6 community colleges. 

Concerning Daphne's scholarship, as a university professor I can contend that most prestigious university scholarships have a GPA requirement (must maintain a 3.0 or 3.3 to keep the scholarship) and a requirement that the student receive no single grade below a C or a C-.  Her D in chemistry (even if she aced her other classes) would definitely put her scholarship in jeopardy at most institutions.  However, I have also noted that Daphne behaves unlike any first year pre-med scholarship student that I have ever encountered.  It must be nice that she has so much free time on her hands to hang with Mingo and butt into the personal lives of those closest to her.  Many of my students can barely keep the head above water with volunteer activities, part time work, and challenging classes.  

I went to another school in the University of Missouri system and my academic scholarships typically went by academic year. Since the chemistry class was in her first semester, they shouldn't have reevaluated her scholarship until the end of the school year. 

I was just hearing that there is only ONE abortion clinic in Missouri. It is in St. Louis, and there is a 72-hour waiting period. So anyone who needs an abortion in MO has to be able to have the time and money to drive to St. Louis and stay there three days.

That is absolutely true. However, there is a clinic in Overland Park, KS, which is a suburb of Kansas City. It has a 24-hour waiting period, but it's also about 20 minutes from Mission Hills. It also only does the procedure one day a week. However, Kansas has a very strict 20-week limit, so if you are even a day over 20 weeks, the closest state that will perform the procedure is New Mexico. I had a friend who went in thinking she was only about 8 weeks along, but was actually 23 weeks pregnant. Pro tip: Don't use store-brand pregnancy tests because she had either 2 or 3 false positives over a couple of months. 

• Love 1

I've definitely always seen John as George Brett. Kansas City loves its former athletes who stayed in the area. There's absolutely no reason he should be completely out of money. I absolutely believe that the Kennishes were millionaires between his status as a former Royal and the car wash business. I thought they were setting it up that the accountant was embezzling money. And I doubt John was a full-time employee of the university. In most cases, the university will only give tuition discounts to full-time employees. But since UMKC doesn't even have a baseball team in real life, I don't really know.

Manager of the school's baseball team would almost certainly be a full time, salaried position in the real world. During the season he would be running the team, during the off-season he'd be busy with scouting and recruiting.

In John's case, I guess they could say he was only an interim manager for the remainder of the season and they decided not to continue on afterwards, but they haven't bothered to actually indicate that on the show that I recall.

Edited by Perfect Xero

Even if John were salaried as the team coach, Daphne is not legally his daughter, and tuition waivers would apply only to family. And, FWIW, tuition waivers aren't a benefit at state schools here, anyway (although they are at some private colleges). Financial aid should be based on Regina's income, not John/Katherine's.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, though-I imagine Daphne COULD get assistance from whatever Missouri calls their vocational rehabilitation program, and is possibly eligible for SSDI as well. She may be playing the "Deaf isn't disabled" thing, but the federal government considers it a permanent disability, and they have an incentive in getting adults with permanent disabilities the education they need to be self-supporting.

• Love 1