Type keyword(s) to search

S28: Lindsey Arnold

• Start Topic

Is Lindsay official? There was some hope Anna's ambiguous Tweet might mean something...

ETA: Not to say Lindsay might not be okay; she's had time to season somewhat since her last pro turn.

Edited by Serendi

Well, it's a good thing Lindsay's married, that should squash any producer influenced showmance ideas.

He's going to be a hard worker for her, and won't be afraid of the boot camp-esque nature of the next couple weeks. I do wonder how he'll deal w/ the circus atmosphere. He's either going to be bemused by or it's something that he's actively going to shrink away from. The latter option won't be great for Lindsay. But ultimately if he doesn't have a little natural ability I'm afraid some of Lindsay's struggles as a teacher that manifested themselves when she had Victor Ortiz (the Boxer) may return. Hopefully a few additional seasons on the troupe have sharpened her creativy and choreo-ability too.

Regardless, the judges are going to do everything they can to make sure he doesn't go home for a while....and that's definitely good news for this pairing.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

I remember an interview with Victor where he said he pretty much threw in the towel on DWTS because his perfectionism couldn't handle that he wasn't good at it. So that probably made it extra hard on Lindsay on top of what her own personal struggles as a teacher were (still are?).

Not to mention in same said interviews with Victor, you could tell he had the attention span of a caffeinated 2 year old.

So, I do think that Alek's probable ability to focus will help.

I think Alek's struggle will probably be what most of the "normal" folks who are cast on this show struggle with which is the performing aspect. He seems pretty introverted. I don't want him to do a Michael Sam where he just goes out there with a pasted on smile and fear in his eyes.

• Love 1

Is there a reason why Lindsey is back? That probably angers me more than some of the dumbest cast decisions they've ever made. She has the personality of a bowel movement. Was Brittany Cherry unavailable? Lindsey had her shot and blew it. 

I completely agree. She has always reminded me of the girl who is desperately tried to fit in. She seemed to hint to Victor a lot that she could be sexy and he kept referring to her as his kid sister almost. To me, it seems dancers should have some sex appeal and she has none.  She seemed to buckle under pressure with Victor and I've been just fine with her in the troupe the past few years.

Jenna Johnson seems to have more personality. I don't know Brittany Cherry, but she sold me more than Lindsay ever did.

Edited by ShaNaeNae

Lindsay is a great dancer. Her first season she was very young. She still felt like a SYTYCD contestant to me. I still like most of her and Victir's dances because she's a beautiful mover. I don't think she was able to reach him to bring out his performance skills as well as some might have but I think she was better than Allison her first season and Allison got a second chance.

• Love 1

Despite her young age, you can see her maturity as a person. She also has a more neutral or reserved personality...even going back to her SYTYCD season w/ Witney, the difference between the two was striking.

I think in a way, she's perfect for the American Hero . It'll be a little more low key than Allison or Witney...and she'll do her best to keep him from being overwhelmed by the ridiculousness that is DWTS. As said upthread, visually they are a good match too...they could make a striking couple. Particularly in the Standard dances like the Waltzes and Fox trots...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I really wish TPTB hadn't let Brittany Cherry go.  I really liked her, but I don't begrudge Lindsay getting another shot.  She's paid her dues and Victor was not an easy student.  Especially not for her first season out.  I would imagine she will do a lot better with several seasons of troupe under her belt. I think Jenna will get her shot eventually too, especially if Lindsay doesn't go over well this season, but Lindsay over Jenna any day.  Jenna might have more personality in some circles, but Jenna is a very aggressive and in your face dancer IMO. She's never met a camera she doesn't over perform towards.   Jenna isn't going to be paired with a celeb IMO until she loses a bit of her "look at me, look at me" behavior.  She reminds me a bit of Mark in the early days, not personality wise, but with her penchant to try and out dance everyone.  

Edited by spanana

I'm not really surprised Jenna didn't get a pro spot, because there wasn't really a good match for her celeb wise in terms of how they usually match a first time pro. I mean, I don't think throwing Gary Busey at her would've been fair.

Plus, from what I've seen of her choreography (and what she's allegedly choreographed for Val) I am pretty meh.

Lindsay's greatest issue (from going back to watch some of her dances with Victor) was that Victor stood there and she danced around him a lot of the time. Hopefully she can curb that this time around depending on how Alek moves.

If you believe the Kristyn Burtt backstage gossip, Lindsay was first in consideration to be Hayes partner.   It was between Lindsay and Emma and they wound up giving it to Emma.   Of course this was before they knew Peta was out.  Which it makes some sense that Jenna wouldn't have been in consideration for Hayes because physically they wouldn't have been a good match (he's scrawny) and Jenna's style of dance is highly sexualized, which not good for the 15 year old.  So I do think to some degree it just comes down to who matches better with the celebs on the roster, unless you are Derek, Val, Mark, Witney and etc. who I think the show would go out of their way to find a celeb for no matter what.

However, whether this guy can dance or not, I think this is basically Lindsay's last shot.  If she doesn't make enough of an impression this season she won't get a third try.  Same way I expect that if Keo doesn't cut it this season, he won't get another shot.

I also don't think the show ever had any intention of putting Gary Busey with either Lindsay or Jenna.  Not only wouldn't have been fair, I think the show knows that there are only a few pros that have a chance of handing him.   Karina already had a partner, so welcome back Anna.

I think Lindsay would have been better with Hayes and Emma with Alek. I like Emma, but she looks a lot older than Lindsay. Nice to see both women get another chance, though.

Edited by boyznkatz

Don't forget, Alek is only 22.  Legally an adult, but only a few years older than Hayes and Bindi. Maybe that's one reason   he got matched with one of the baby pros. He may have been a soldier, but we do have a tendency to send our children off to war. 

This is the first time I noticed the last name that is not Arnold.

She got married over the summer (I saw it, meant to post it, & forgot... My bad!). But unless I'm mistaken, going by Monday's show, she still seems to be going by "Lindsay Arnold" professionally.

• Love 1

Last night was the prime reason I didn't like Lindsey as a pro. I know a lot of these young'uns love their contemporary.  And while jazz doesn't have as many hard and steadfast rules as most dances, it doesn't mean it's contemporary either. It was "Alex, you stand here on this porch here, you'll do a turn or two, but here...lift me. I'm going to twirl around you 5 more times, then lift me. Lift me again. Hold on, let me change my position so you can lift me again". She's got a partner that seems to be able to move, but she's not utilizing that.

It can be interchangeable either way when you throw in Lyrical Jazz

There is probably supposed to have more stops or freeze positions but over all I think Lindsay's dance was very similar in type of dance to the sytycd Mandy Moore dance.

Edited by tarotx

Last night was the prime reason I didn't like Lindsey as a pro. I know a lot of these young'uns love their contemporary.  And while jazz doesn't have as many hard and steadfast rules as most dances, it doesn't mean it's contemporary either. It was "Alex, you stand here on this porch here, you'll do a turn or two, but here...lift me. I'm going to twirl around you 5 more times, then lift me. Lift me again. Hold on, let me change my position so you can lift me again". She's got a partner that seems to be able to move, but she's not utilizing that.

Its important to note that Lindsay recognizes she has an advantage with her partner (his muscular strength, with no offense or disrespect intended to the other male celebrities), and she should use this ability to enhance any of their routines (she would raise eyebrows if she didn't).   This may also send subtle hints to other competitors that she has the luxury of a larger repertoire of moves at her disposal.

While Alek and Lindsay have yet to perform a latin dance style, as of this point, they are an interesting, unassuming couple whose dancing is very organic and not contrived.  I look forward to their upcoming dances.

I don't like the contemporary stuff either or most of the "jazz". But Lindsay/Alek were assigned the dance. Sharna took full advantage of Noah's strength.  Allison uses her partner's lifting strength whenever she can.  It might be that Alek isn't very bendy and she had to use what he could do. I'm anxious to see him in a latin dance to see how he does. As I said in my review of Monday's show, he has an easy, relaxed way of moving, but that's not to say he's flexible.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Lindsay can bring out of Alek.

I don't like the contemporary stuff either or most of the "jazz". But Lindsay/Alek were assigned the dance.

Exactly, but they weren't assigned Contemporary. I agree, there's no rules to either Contemporary or Jazz on this show, and they can be interchangeable.  Knowing they will be assigned Contemporary at some point, I do wish they wouldn't have done a more Contemporary-styled Jazz. And even with Contemporary, he just didn't dance enough, and to me, that's on Lindsey.

Exactly, but they weren't assigned Contemporary. I agree, there's no rules to either Contemporary or Jazz on this show, and they can be interchangeable.  Knowing they will be assigned Contemporary at some point, I do wish they wouldn't have done a more Contemporary-styled Jazz. And even with Contemporary, he just didn't dance enough, and to me, that's on Lindsey.

Oops. I was unclear. I should have said: I don't like the contemporary stuff either or most of the "jazz". But Lindsay/Alek were assigned the jazz dance which Lindsay interpreted as more of a contemporary-ish "jazz".  

I do wish when jazz is assigned they would specify which style of jazz should be performed so it can be differentiated from contemporary.

• Love 1

Oops. I was unclear. I should have said: I don't like the contemporary stuff either or most of the "jazz". But Lindsay/Alek were assigned the jazz dance which Lindsay interpreted as more of a contemporary-ish "jazz".  

I do wish when jazz is assigned they would specify which style of jazz should be performed so it can be differentiated from contemporary.

Ah..gotcha.  I see what you're saying and I totally agree. Then again, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if they took those out altogether. She does have beautiful lines.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lindsay and Alek concentrated on the quickstep more than the jazz.  It was stupid for TPTB to assign two dances to the contestants so early in the season.  So I wouldn't blame Lindsay if she decided to concentrate on the quickstep technique since she knew that she could always just put lifts in the jazz routine to take up time.

• Love 1

As nice as Alek and Lindsay seem to be, their dances are boring to watch IMO. Compared to performers like Carlos and Tamar, I was bored watching them and Alek looked really stiff last night. I know he isn't used to the stage, and that's why I think TPTB should stop putting "real people" on the show.  They just aren't performers and shouldn't be expected to be.

I'm coming to say, my opinion of her previously is changing. I'm seeing a maturity about her coming out much more than when she was a pro the last time. Her choreography is great too. I always wonder how much of the choreography is designed by the pro or if they get help from other pros. And if they do, how much? I have no doubt they come up with a good part of it.

This interview with Lindsay is great! She is one of my favorite female pros. 

Also, I think what she says about the troupe is proof that both Keo and Alison needed several years in the troupe before ever coming out as a pro. 

• Love 1

Lindsay 5'6, Kareem 7'2 = 20" difference 

And we thought Anna/Kurt, Cheryl/Chad were extreme height differences - they weren't even 1 foot difference and now we've got a nearly 2 foot difference!

• Love 2