Type keyword(s) to search

Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/26/2017 at 9:17 PM, meowmommy said:

They can't even be bothered to stage the cases in the late 80s/early 90s where they belong; all the cars, clothes, hair, etc. in the reenactments are current.

This make perfect sense to me, and I don't find it at all necessary to reproduce an era just for the sake of a visual to break up the "talking heads." I've actually noticed that lots of subpar crime shows are "bothered" to deal with that stuff (usually half-assedly at that--I can totally tell a " '90s does '70s" outfit as opposed to a '70s real deal!) seemingly to disguise the fact that the show is garbage with almost nothing remotely educational or even informative about the investigation process. I appreciate this show's matter-of-fact style and its assumption that we're more interested in the crime investigation's details than whether that lady's handbag was manufactured in 2012. Now, if Faux Kenda pulls out a cell phone in a 1977 case, I might point and laugh (and you know what? I actually think someone may have had an anachronistic iPhone in a reenactment scene!). I also appreciate that the reenactments aren't over the top or attempting to be titillating/scandalous like all those many much crappier shows out there. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

I just watched tonight's show (S7 Ep 3) and I have to say this season is more interesting than others (so far).  There are elements of actual mystery writing than simply a klunky, linear progression towards the solution.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Anyone see the first episode of the season? So you think your son didn't steal the teacher's car with his friends so of course the next logical step then is to help him kill those friends. Stellar parenting.

Not only that, but everyone (including the police!) were treating car theft as a minor crime.  All they had to do was: plead guilty, allocute, and sound repentant and all that happens is probation with the crime expunged if "they were good boys". 

• Love 3

Tonight's (9/13/17) episode.   another "different" episode.   The mystery is quickly established--and then we follow "Jeffy" on his journey home.  A Deux es machina for the climax--with an idiot DA writing the de`nouement.

But this is real life, so....

I can't remember the episode, but he is talking about how he was walking through a high crime apartment complex and running into people he has arrested throughout the years. "Hi" How are you?" "Out of prison, I see". The last one made me LOL. 

• Love 8
On 10/15/2017 at 11:21 PM, auntjess said:

The poisoned teacher was different from the norm. Glad she survived, but can't imagine what she went through.

The mercy shown to that student was unbelievable--that teacher truly suffered and could have died. That kid should have spent at least 5 years in state prison for that crime.

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:01 PM, Stratego said:

The mercy shown to that student was unbelievable--that teacher truly suffered and could have died. That kid should have spent at least 5 years in state prison for that crime.

Must be some money behind this somewhere (not the teacher's mercy). They are still showing mercy as the program did not refer to him by his real name. What was the point of that? He was tried as an adult. Weren't you, Scott Wade Matheson?

Watching the Kenda marathon with my soon to be 82 yr-old Mom. She's chuckling at his dry delivery and likes the "Well, well, well" line. She has Dish, but had no idea the ID channel existed. We may have a new convert!

• Love 5

Does anyone know if there is an episode of this show that features the murder of Kelsey Grammar's sister, Karen?  It happened in the 1970's and according to Joe's profile, he was working at the Colorado Springs, CO Police Department during the time this happened.  It was unusual too, since the killer went on a spree and killed 2 other people unrelated to each other.  Here's a link about the killer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Glenn

I should would like to see it, if there is one.  (Oh, did you know that Kelsey Grammar's father was also murdered?)  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I have been watching Joe's marathon, and then started watching his first season which I had missed, it is WONDERFUL. I don't know  what it is about him, (he's a slow burn and handsome guy)  but I LOVE HIM, he's my kind of cop, the kind of man I would want to be working on my case let me tell ya.  The acting is so bad, as it is in most of these true crime shows, but the real detective makes it worth your time, my my my! ?

• Love 7
On 8/30/2017 at 7:48 PM, Stratego said:

This is Season 7, when does CM learn how to act?  Jack Webb (back in the decade) showed more emotion--"Just the facts ma'am".

Jack Webb never said that. It comes from Stan Freberg's St George and the Dragonet.

On 2/16/2018 at 9:03 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

Been hooked on this show since the Holiday marathon. Love his deadpan gallows humor. Reminds me of Lenny Briscoe.

Me too!!  I upgraded my Dish package to get ID channel (plus a few others) as I could watch him and all those other crime shows all day long.  I love the flashbacks to when Kenda was younger.  He is one smart cookie for sure!

• Love 7

I haven’t watched the new episodes yet but got hooked on this show and the ID channel while I was on maternity leave.  I would basically watch ID all day long when before I didn’t even know the channel existed.

Love Kenda’s dry delivery and sense of humor.  Also love his compassionate side when females and children are the victims.

• Love 10

I always feel for him when he acknowledges his inability to sleep due to nightmares. I like that he's not so burned out that he doesn't care anymore, but I'm sorry he experiences pain.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 10
On 3/15/2018 at 8:53 PM, DkNNy79 said:

I haven’t watched the new episodes yet but got hooked on this show and the ID channel while I was on maternity leave.  I would basically watch ID all day long when before I didn’t even know the channel existed.

Love Kenda’s dry delivery and sense of humor.  Also love his compassionate side when females and children are the victims.

Yea, I just watched a re run I hadn't seen and I loved when he mentioned that a criminal was on his 'lie bike'. I was trying to imagine what one of those looked like XD.

• Love 6

In the show, Kenda said Jimmy was thrown out of the window. So, the police must have a reason to believe that. It'd be pretty believable if Jimmy committed suicide, as well. 

I found some quotes from Kenda on this case. Paraphrasing, he said after the New York police told him that Jimmy had been murdered, they asked him what they wanted them to do with the case, and Kenda stated, put it in the 'had it coming' file, and Jimmy's murder was never investigated. 

Even criminals won't give anyone a pass for murdering kids. I truly believe one of Jimmy's peers, found out, and murdered Jimmy for what he did. I even believe there's small chance a professional was hired to make sure Jimmy didn't walk free for what he did. 

• Love 4
On 1/31/2017 at 8:44 PM, chenoa333 said:

All I  can say, is that Joe Kenda is the gift that keeps on giving. With all due respect to Mrs. Kenda...I just love this man!

Word. I reuse the phrase 'lie bike' frequently. It's too good. XD

• Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, chenoa333 said:

What does "lie bike" mean in Kendaology?

It's from the episode "We Kill the Ones We Love" and the quote is, "And now Earl is pedaling as fast as he can on his lie bike." Can't remember if he used it any other times, but there you are....

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Schnickelfritz said:

It's from the episode "We Kill the Ones We Love" and the quote is, "And now Earl is pedaling as fast as he can on his lie bike." Can't remember if he used it any other times, but there you are....

Thanks for translating that one schnickelfritz! 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Thanks for translating that one schnickelfritz! 

You're more than welcome! (She said, drinking from her Guilty people love to talk. Who am I to stop them? coffee mug). I love a good Kenda Quote!

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Schnickelfritz said:

You're more than welcome! (She said, drinking from her Guilty people love to talk. Who am I to stop them? coffee mug). I love a good Kenda Quote!

No f'n way?! Where can i get one of those coffee mugs? I know I.D. channel sells a lot of Kenda related things but I LOVE that Kenda quote!

(edited)
20 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

No f'n way?! Where can i get one of those coffee mugs? I know I.D. channel sells a lot of Kenda related things but I LOVE that Kenda quote!

My BFF (and fellow Kenda addict) found it on Amazon. I got her a "Well, aren't you  just a Fun-filled lollipop, triple-dipped in psycho?" t-shirt. (actually used as sleepwear).

Edited by Schnickelfritz
spelling error
  • Love 3

The episode with the woman who kidnapped a baby and tried to pass it off as her own in order to hang on to her husband was a TV movie in the early '90's. What a small world.

I loved Kenda cracking a smile as he declares that's the only time he's gotten a truly happy ending to a case.

• Love 5
(edited)

My mom and I watched an episode that dealt with one of Kenda's earlier cases and spotted that the cars belonged in the 90's and not the 70's and the same goes for one of the case files (it was clearly from 1994, and not 1977 lol). Whoops. :p We both laughed our butts off at those mistakes.

I love this! A nice article about him: https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/homicide-hunter-joe-kenda-interview-murder-death-killer-investigation-discovery/

Source:  men's journal

This bit is so true.

“There’s Nothing More Dangerous on This Planet Than a Human Being” 

A lot of things happened on the job. Some were hysterically funny. Some were horribly sad. Some were absolutely horrific. You see it all.

Animals kill for a need. They kill to survive. Humans kill for pleasure. They’re capable of anything, so don’t ever believe somebody won’t do something, because they will, and then they’ll plan to do it again because they liked it. 

So every morning I’d have a meeting with my detectives, to give them their marching orders, and as they were leaving, I’d say, “Remember boys and girls, the humans are out. Be careful.”

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 8