Type keyword(s) to search

Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'd watch a show about Nurse Kathy too. She was awesome. I liked to that he admitted he made mistakes and their problems were realistic.  They both had jobs that you couldn't just drop things. Hunting down murders, chasing leads, interviewing witnesses, and etc. suspects could leave town, memories fade. But her job was also about timing making sure those premie babies got fed, treating patients you can't always drop those either. I loved her catching Kenda reading the medical report and yelling at him. It was awesome and yes she was right. That is illegal and I love that she didn't care he was her husband. She wasn't going to allow it. It was nice to see their kids and old pictures.  I liked that he loved that she was tough. 

• Love 8

I caught last Wednesday's episode - the one featuring Kenda's wife and kids - on DVR and just watched it last night. I really enjoyed it. I agree, I'd watch Nurse Kathy again in a heartbeat! I also appreciated their honesty about their struggles as a working couple and with Joe's priorities. I really like that cool little smile that Joe flashed in the final seconds of the episode, as he talked about marriage being worth it. 

BTW, there's more to know about the Kendas, in Joe's book - I Will Find You - that came out in 2017. I'm nearly fanatic about not paying full price for Kindle books, but I bought this one at full price shortly after it was released. No buyer's remorse at all. I've read it at least twice. There's a lot about his personal life, including Kathy and the kids. There are also more stories from his career than we've seen on TV - and I must warn you, the book discloses some details on a few cases which were just too grisly to be included in the TV episodes that covered those cases. The book was not just a rehash of the TV show, and I think Joe's ghost writer did a great job of capturing Joe's voice and style.

Edited by Jeeves
Corrected the year Kenda's book was published.
  • Love 6
On 2/16/2019 at 6:25 PM, andromeda331 said:

I'm very amazed at that poor woman who managed to crawl back up after being thrown off. That's incredible. I absolutely hate the verdict for the man who attacked her. Bullshit he had mental problems. He was a serial killer in the making.

I don't know how she did it either, unless it was shock and pure adrenaline that enabled her.  I agree that she got a raw deal with the verdict.

• Love 5

I DVR'd about 40 of these shows during a few marathons, and have been catching up a few at a time.  I have noticed that the producers never try to recreate the 70s or 80s with cars, etc., but...

They can't even be bothered to stage the cases in the late 80s/early 90s where they belong; all the cars, clothes, hair, etc. in the reenactments are current.

...I realize that keeping a fleet of old cars, would be far too expensive, but I was watching one episode from the 70s and at the end of the episode, they showed actual photos of Joe Kenda on the job.  Younger Joe had permed hair and was wearing one of the very colorful sports jackets that we all wore in those days, with a very wide, colorful tie.  Yet in the episode, CM as Joe was dressed in the same black suit that he wore in every time period.  Might have been more interesting if TPTB at least dressed Kenda in the style of the era.

• Love 8
(edited)

I just caught the episode with Kenda's family.  

I loved how whenever Joe talked about Kathy, he complimented her and admitted he was wrong when she called him out.  Also, I loved the smile he got when he talked about it - like he knew he had the right woman for him.

They definitely seem like a strong couple, and they seem to have raised really nice kids.  I always thought maybe he would be a hard father to have, but both kids seem to really love their parents.

Edited by sskrill
  • Love 7
(edited)

Joe just announced that Season Nine will be the last for Homicide Hunter.  He said that he is running out of cases, and the ones that will remain untold after season 9 are too boring or too gruesome for tv.  He wants to go out on top, and not try to milk the show until we are bored with him.

Not to worry though.  Joe says that while DiscoveryID will end production of Homicide Hunter, the channel is NOT finished with him, and he will be used in a different show.

There may be a silver lining to this news.  Sounds like we get to keep Lt. Kenda and lose Carl Marino!

Edited by UncleChuck
Added another thought...
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, UncleChuck said:

Joe just announced that Season Nine will be the last for Homicide Hunter.  He said that he is running out of cases, and the ones that will remain untold after season 9 are too boring or too gruesome for tv.  He wants to go out on top, and not try to milk the show until we are bored with him.

Not to worry though.  Joe says that while DiscoveryID will end production of Homicide Hunter, the channel is NOT finished with him, and he will be used in a different show.

That's bad about Homicide Hunter but good that he's not going anywhere. My dad and I love watching that show. He's just so funny, love his comments and the way he tells the story. Knowing Colorado Springs so well we really love hearing different streets and places. 

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, sskrill said:

I just caught the episode with Kenda's family.  

I loved how whenever Joe talked about Kathy, he complimented her and admitted he was wrong when she called him out.  Also, I loved the smile he got when he talked about it - like he knew he had the right woman for him.

They definitely seem like a strong couple, and they seem to have raised really nice kids.  I always thought maybe he would be a hard father to have, but both kids seem to really love their parents.

I loved that too. It was a great episode. They really seem like a great strong couple. It was really great seeing how cool Kathy was and still is.  

• Love 5

"Married to the Job" became one of my favorite episodes. It was great seeing all the Kendas providing commentary. 

Kathy even had a bit part in another episode where she was playing a character. In the episode "Gut Instinct", she played a customer in the golf shop. Her screen partner was none other than Mrs. Carl Marino, who played the cashier in the golf shop.

I honestly thought they would go another two or three seasons, but I agree with Joe's comments about taking the show out on top. Knowing that he has another development deal with ID makes me feel better. I think he is also writing another book.

• Love 7

Say it ain't so, Joe:

Hi, this is Joe Kenda from Homicide Hunter on Investigation Discovery. It has been my honor to entertain you for all of these years. But recently I came to a decision that Season 9 would be the final season of Homicide Hunter.

I made that decision because, to me, the integrity of the program is paramount. I have had a lot of cases. But those cases that remain are insufficient in number to sustain another season of the show — because many of the cases that remain are either too simple or simply too disgusting to be on television.

The result of that is, I want to go out at the top of my game. And Season 9 will be the top of my game. I didn’t want to be the athlete that stayed on the field for one season too long, or the singer who remained on the stage after they lost their voice. You’re entitled to the best entertainment I can offer you. That will be Season 9, and then we will say goodbye.

But it’s not really goodbye, because Investigation Discovery has informed me they have other plans for me. So I’ll see you again in something else…just not this.

• Love 9

If you look closely in "Married to the Job", you'll see in several shots that actress Courtney Vanderpoole (Kathy Kenda) is pregnant. She gave birth a few months ago, and the real Kathy and Joe were among her visitors!! ☺💖

42044774_10214932174992750_8592186701051330560_n.jpg

• Love 10
16 hours ago, catlover79 said:

If you look closely in "Married to the Job", you'll see in several shots that actress Courtney Vanderpoole (Kathy Kenda) is pregnant. She gave birth a few months ago, and the real Kathy and Joe were among her visitors!! ☺💖

42044774_10214932174992750_8592186701051330560_n.jpg

That's really nice.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

That's also Joe's 73rd birthday. 🎂

Really? Wow. That man has done some hard living. I know 73 isn't young, but he looks much older than that. My father just turned 80 and looks better.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:43 PM, Camille said:

Really? Wow. That man has done some hard living. I know 73 isn't young, but he looks much older than that. My father just turned 80 and looks better.

He used to be a very heavy smoker, but has since quit.

• Love 10
On 8/9/2019 at 5:43 PM, Camille said:

20 hour work days --- not uncommon for law enforcement --- will do that to you. So will the chronic insomnia from which he suffered. 

• Love 10

Another good episode but I was surprised how long it took them to consider it was a serial killer. Once they ruled out that no one seemed to have a problem with Cynthia, you'd think they would have considered serial rapist as a next step and then serial killer. They kept saying they hadn't seen anything like it before. Why did it take so long to check outside Colorado? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Since this is the final season, I wonder if Carl Marino will finally say "my, my, my" in an interrogation reenactment scene.

In Marino's usual wooden style of course. Speaking of wood, my coffee table can emote better. 🙄

• LOL 5
On 9/2/2019 at 6:58 PM, Dittohead said:

Well, I happen to like Carl Marino.  But mostly I like looking at him.  😉

Same lol. 

This last episode about the staged suicide, I think this is the first time I recognized a re-enactment actor from other roles. The mother is familiar to me but she’s not on IMDb nor could I see her in the credits but I KNOW I’ve seen that actress before. 

• Love 5

I was curious about this one, seemed as though the coroner screwed up. Didn’t he check for powder burns on the victim’s hand or for tattooing at the wound  site?

Also, the position of the hand and gun was very odd. Granted, this was a reconstruction and not a crime scene photo.

Edited by Gobi
  • Love 3

I don't know any of the real details of the Cynthia case, but I thought it odd that two of the characters mentioned were Dave Winfield and Steve Carlton, which are the names of two Hall of Fame baseball players.  Maybe the writers needed pseudonyms to protect someone's privacy and are baseball fans, but maybe those were their real names.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Gobi said:

I was curious about this one, seemed as though the coroner screwed up. Didn’t he check for powder burns on the victim’s hand or for tattooing at the wound  site?

Also, the position of the hand and gun was very odd. Granted, this was a reconstruction and not a crime scene photo.

That's what I was wondering. Why didn't he check for powder burns? How did he manage who shoot himself in the back of the head? And how did he end up in that position? He somehow manages to shoot himself in the head while laying down on his stomach in bed, the hand manages to land beside him with the gun still in his hand? I wondered why they didn't exhume the body to check for poison although its possible it would be long gone after six months. Its really weird that you have the cops think the head wound is odd and unlikely, and the coroner later say he thought a few things were odd. But they all decided to go with suicide? Why? If you think a couple parts are odd. Then take a little more time and investigate. Did they even interview the neighbor? When they interview him later they showed him pictures that were different from what he saw.

• Love 6

The thing that caught me when watching that episode was how the daughter, when talking to Kenda, was telling him about how her dad's food had tasted funny that night, and she'd felt drowsy all of a sudden when watching that movie later. 

And yet when Kenda and his partner go to the wife's house, she's offering them coffee...and they take it. I was sitting here like, "Um...you sure you want to drink that?" 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

So you're taking a statement from a witness who's changed her story from suicide to murder...with the two of you standing in the middle of an open lobby.  I know the production values on this show are minimal, but c'mon, guys.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:34 PM, andromeda331 said:

Why didn't he check for powder burns? How did he manage who shoot himself in the back of the head?

From what it sounded like, Joe just took the word of the detective on the scene that it was suicide, and moved on.  Hey, Joe, haven't you seen all the TV shows where all the investigating officers think it's suicide and the hero cop says, no, it's murder?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Am I the only one who thinks Joe is pretty much phoning in this final season?

I don't know, but I've said during previous seasons that it would be likely that Joe eventually would run out of interesting cases, and that seems to have happened.  I assume he picked his most interesting cases first.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I don't know, but I've said during previous seasons that it would be likely that Joe eventually would run out of interesting cases, and that seems to have happened.  I assume he picked his most interesting cases first.

He has said that the remaining cases are either too routine to be interesting, or too foul even for cable. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

He has said that the remaining cases are either too routine to be interesting, or too foul even for cable. 

That's...really disturbing to think about, considering I've seen some pretty horrific stories on that channel as it is. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Colleenna said:

19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That's...really disturbing to think about, considering I've seen some pretty horrific stories on that channel as it is. 

I read Kenda's autobiography that was published a couple of years ago. He made that comment in the book. And I can't remember the details right now, but he included in the book a really grisly detail about one of his cases that had been on the show already - but the grisly detail was not mentioned in the show. Because it was considered too gruesome for TV - and I remember agreeing that oh Lord it sure was! 

The book also was very frank about the mental and psychological toll his career took on him. I'm spoiler tagging this next bit, if you haven't read his book and think you might want to.

Spoiler

His retirement was an on-the-spot decision he made one day when he was questioning a man who admitted to sexually molesting his five year old grandson. Then the suspect said the kid was asking for it. Kenda says he literally saw red and the next thing he remembered, his colleagues were pulling him off the guy, who he was trying to strangle (and making good progress). He walked back to his office and typed up a one line retirement letter, IIRC effective that day. He writes that it took him years to get back to anything like normal, and he also writes about some vivid and horrific dreams he would have as a result of his job.  Edited later to add: he wrote that he started getting better bouncing back in a matter of months after retirement, but that dealing with the deep dark stuff took a lot longer. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I read Kenda's autobiography that was published a couple of years ago. He made that comment in the book. And I can't remember the details right now, but he included in the book a really grisly detail about one of his cases that had been on the show already - but the grisly detail was not mentioned in the show. Because it was considered too gruesome for TV - and I remember agreeing that oh Lord it sure was! 

The book also was very frank about the mental and psychological toll his career took on him. I'm spoiler tagging this next bit, if you haven't read his book and think you might want to.

Reveal spoiler

His retirement was an on-the-spot decision he made one day when he was questioning a man who admitted to sexually molesting his five year old grandson. Then the suspect said the kid was asking for it. Kenda says he literally saw red and the next thing he remembered, his colleagues were pulling him off the guy, who he was trying to strangle (and making good progress). He walked back to his office and typed up a one line retirement letter, IIRC effective that day. He writes that it took him years to get back to anything like normal, and he also writes about some vivid and horrific dreams he would have as a result of his job. 

I read his book when it first came out. I highly recommend it to any Kenda fan.

• Love 12

The book definitely goes into grisly detail about certain cases, and those mentioned would be hard to even partly sanitize for TV. The eyeball story did make it to the show. I'm not surprised that even the most seasoned policemen lost their lunches at that crime scene.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

The book definitely goes into grisly detail about certain cases, and those mentioned would be hard to even partly sanitize for TV. The eyeball story did make it to the show. I'm not surprised that even the most seasoned policemen lost their lunches at that crime scene.

Oh, god, I remember that story, yeah :/. 

I think about that when I hear about killers like Jeffrey Dahmer and the like, too. I don't care how seasoned you are, you investigate a scene that gruesome, it'd be very, very hard to not be like, "Okay, I quit" afterward. This line of work definitely requires an incredibly strong stomach, that's for sure. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, god, I remember that story, yeah :/. 

I think about that when I hear about killers like Jeffrey Dahmer and the like, too. I don't care how seasoned you are, you investigate a scene that gruesome, it'd be very, very hard to not be like, "Okay, I quit" afterward. This line of work definitely requires an incredibly strong stomach, that's for sure. 

Exactly. I could never do it. I have the utmost respect for those who can.

• Love 4

Wow, last nights was episode was crazy. That daycare woman was evil. She not only shook a poor baby so hard the poor child was blind, deaf, couldn't feed herself and had other problems. And it was at least the second time she did that to a baby. They said she had other complaints but didn't say what they were. But then she and her husband come up with a plan while she's in jail that they will hire someone to kill the baby and the baby's mother but make it look like a suicide including forcing the mother to write a suicide note saying she caused her baby's injuries and thought that would make her go free.  Sure, the cops certainly wouldn't question that. Especially when the baby's doctor put her injury at fifteen minutes before she called 911. They tried to hirer her fellow roommate/inmate who went straight to the cops and helped them record her and suggest her "cousin" aka the under cover cop who got what he need from her husband. They both got convicted. And yet, they tried to hire someone else to kill the cop and the judge or DA.  That person also went to straight to the police. They never did say but I'm assuming both inmates got out early from their help. It would almost be hilarious if not for that poor baby. Starting with her suddenly changing her story from finding the baby on the floor in another room having vomiting, to suddenly standing up and drinking for her bottle after they noticed the carpet was dry. I did love Kenda's remark at that one "At nine months?" and his partner after they left the house saying she was full of shit. 

The second one another asshole. Given it was a retirement community and the guy had been sitting there oddly watching all unfold I thought maybe he'd end up having mental or other issues. Nope, just a plain old asshole who shot the woman who turned him down so many times and wasn't afraid to stand up to him. He did it, he was happy he did it and happy to admit to it. 

• Love 2

That case with the baby was horrifying and heartbreaking. What a psycho.

11 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

But then she and her husband come up with a plan while she's in jail that they will hire someone to kill the baby and the baby's mother but make it look like a suicide including forcing the mother to write a suicide note saying she caused her baby's injuries and thought that would make her go free.  Sure, the cops certainly wouldn't question that.

Her plan was also dumb for the fact that child abusers and killers are despised in prison. Everyone knows that, and prisoners especially know that. No way in hell is any prisoner with even half a brain going to want to get caught up in a fucked up scheme to murder a baby as a result, so yeah, damn right they're going to blab. 

The second one another asshole. Given it was a retirement community and the guy had been sitting there oddly watching all unfold I thought maybe he'd end up having mental or other issues. Nope, just a plain old asshole who shot the woman who turned him down so many times and wasn't afraid to stand up to him. He did it, he was happy he did it and happy to admit to it. 

On the one hand, I'm not surprised that he didn't care that he killed that woman, 'cause, asshole and all, but on the other hand, it was still a bit startling to see just how matter-of-fact he was about what he'd done. It's truly scary how many stories of that sort are out there, with people being killed for simply daring to turn down someone's advances. Society really needs to teach people how to properly deal with being rejected. 

My heart broke for the poor little girl who had to hear all of that. For that alone, the creep deserves a punch in the face. He'd be a perfect match for the woman in the first story. 

• Love 7
On 11/14/2019 at 2:57 AM, andromeda331 said:

Wow, last nights was episode was crazy. That daycare woman was evil. She not only shook a poor baby so hard the poor child was blind, deaf, couldn't feed herself and had other problems. And it was at least the second time she did that to a baby. They said she had other complaints but didn't say what they were. But then she and her husband come up with a plan while she's in jail that they will hire someone to kill the baby and the baby's mother but make it look like a suicide including forcing the mother to write a suicide note saying she caused her baby's injuries and thought that would make her go free.  Sure, the cops certainly wouldn't question that. Especially when the baby's doctor put her injury at fifteen minutes before she called 911. They tried to hirer her fellow roommate/inmate who went straight to the cops and helped them record her and suggest her "cousin" aka the under cover cop who got what he need from her husband. They both got convicted. And yet, they tried to hire someone else to kill the cop and the judge or DA.  That person also went to straight to the police. They never did say but I'm assuming both inmates got out early from their help. It would almost be hilarious if not for that poor baby. Starting with her suddenly changing her story from finding the baby on the floor in another room having vomiting, to suddenly standing up and drinking for her bottle after they noticed the carpet was dry. I did love Kenda's remark at that one "At nine months?" and his partner after they left the house saying she was full of shit. 

If anyone wonders why Joe (and law enforcement personnel in general) suffers from PTSD and insomnia, steer them to this episode. 😢😠

• Love 5
On 11/14/2019 at 1:16 AM, Annber03 said:

That case with the baby was horrifying and heartbreaking. What a psycho.

Her plan was also dumb for the fact that child abusers and killers are despised in prison. Everyone knows that, and prisoners especially know that. No way in hell is any prisoner with even half a brain going to want to get caught up in a fucked up scheme to murder a baby as a result, so yeah, damn right they're going to blab. 

Yeah. No one wants to be a child abuser or killer in prison. Definitely not someone who killed a baby. No one is going to agree to that. The mother sure but not a baby. Also any criminal behind bars with half a brain is going to hear that and know that's their ticket to their own early release.  Their dumb enough to try it again. Of course he's going straight to the cops. That most definitely will guarantee him getting out of prison early. I can almost imagine that other prisoner's excitement when they tried to recruit him to kill the cop and judge or lawyer. That's like the golden ticket. Not to mention it never would have fooled anyone. Dumb and cold blooded. Anyone who could hurt a child like that. I hope she got some of that prison justice. I wonder what the other complaints against her were about. They mentioned another baby in her care ending up with similar injuries. But there were five or six more complaints. 

On the one hand, I'm not surprised that he didn't care that he killed that woman, 'cause, asshole and all, but on the other hand, it was still a bit startling to see just how matter-of-fact he was about what he'd done. It's truly scary how many stories of that sort are out there, with people being killed for simply daring to turn down someone's advances. Society really needs to teach people how to properly deal with being rejected. 

My heart broke for the poor little girl who had to hear all of that. For that alone, the creep deserves a punch in the face. He'd be a perfect match for the woman in the first story. 

That was startling. He admitted it, he held his hands up to be arrested and was ready to go jail.  Its true one message that does need to get out is people can turn down advances. A woman can say no to you and you have to accept that. But I'm not sure that was his problem because he knew exactly what he was doing when he shot her. She dared to turn him down? Reject him? She dared to stand up to him? Why he's going to kill her. He'll be happy about it, tell the cops and go to jail. It doesn't matter because he still killed her. They mention he was divorced four times and had three grown children and none of them came to visit. He's exactly that miserable bitter man who's grown kids never visits but he blames them. Sure they could be horrible kids but its not hard to imagine he was asshole in his marriages and to his kids that they won't visit. 

I'm sure they noticed which is why the put the two cases in the same episode but he does seem like a perfect fit for the daycare woman. He'd be a perfect husband for her or brother. 

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

If anyone wonders why Joe (and law enforcement personnel in general) suffers from PTSD and insomnia, steer them to this episode. 😢😠

This is definitely one that would explain why. There's others that I've thought the same thing. Some where they find the body so grizzly like the poor woman stabbed to death by her friend or boyfriend who then tried to flush her down the toilet. The one where they find the entire family murdered husband, father, and all three kids and it turned out the mother shot them. The poor pregnant woman and her two really young sons found murdered. I've wondered so many times not just on Homicide Hunter but other crime shows how cops deal with seeing horrible things and/or catching horrible men and women who commit the crimes. The answer really seems to be they can't, they don't.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

This is definitely one that would explain why. There's others that I've thought the same thing. Some where they find the body so grizzly like the poor woman stabbed to death by her friend or boyfriend who then tried to flush her down the toilet. The one where they find the entire family murdered husband, father, and all three kids and it turned out the mother shot them. The poor pregnant woman and her two really young sons found murdered. I've wondered so many times not just on Homicide Hunter but other crime shows how cops deal with seeing horrible things and/or catching horrible men and women who commit the crimes. The answer really seems to be they can't, they don't.  

Not to mention the poor man who had his eyeballs gouged out and was found with one of them in his mouth. 

I'm watching the marathon, and the Barbara Lewis poisoning case.    Why are they giving the poisoner a fake name?   Scott Wade Matheson, called Cameron in the show.   To end up with a sentence of six years was a travesty of justice (it was reduced on appeal). 

The attitude in Colorado Springs, that rich kids don't deserve jail, is a big reason that I never moved back there.     If your parents live in a multi million dollar home, then you're not going to jail for long, if at all.          

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, Camille said:

My dad was a police officer, all his life in patrol and when he retired he looked much older that his actual age which was 55. Now in his 70s and with an active lifestyle le looks much younger and definitely happier.

Watching my father everyday (or not seeing for several weeks), made me realize that I was not made to be a police officer... you are always the first one to see the ugliest side of everybody and everything.

Edited by El maestro
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, El maestro said:

Watching my father everyday (or not seeing for several weeks), made me realize that I was not made to be a police officer... you are always the first one to see the ugliest side of everybody and everything.

I think about that whenever there's a story involving children. No way in hell could I even begin to deal with that kind of horror. I truly don't know how the officers who work such awful cases handle it (and the fact that some can't is not at all surprising to me). 

• Love 6