Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: 5:26

I generally find the acting in this show passable, but nothing special, but Angie Harmon's face as she dialed the phone and ran for the elevator, thinking Angela was the target ... that was some good shit right there.

I'd only been half paying attention to this episode, but when I realized Maura was the target, looked at the clock to see about five minutes left and realized this was going to end on a cliffhanger I'd have to wait months to resolve ... I perked right up.  Anti-climactic in the sense we know Maura will be okay, but I'm interested to see how it's resolved.

Why doesn't poor Nina have a chair/stool?  It's bad enough she spends her life in that room, but she spends it standing.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Angie Harmon has been doing a great job as Rizzoli. I was not a fan of hers before R&I.  Some actors like to try and "mug" or make extreme faces and it looks ridiculous.  Angie can do every emotion and it's all very convincing.  She can be funny then turn on a dime and be shattered.  You could watch her slowly fall completely apart through out this episode.  She was shaking all over when she was hugging her mother.  Very good acting.

Knowing this show is about Jane and Maura, I knew one of them would be the cliff-hanger.  I thought they did a good job of building up the suspense in this one. I'm definitely hanging off that cliff for next season!

I think the standing thing that Nina is doing is the latest office ergonomics technique. They have proven that sitting at a desk all day is really bad for your health.  I've read that a lot of work places are making standing work stations to help fight this. They also do this on CSI Cyber. OR, R&I could just be doing this because they have the fancy big computer screens in that room.  Probably a bit of both. Just guessing.

• Love 2

I figured Maura would be the one kidnapped, but the Angela fake-out almost got me.  Really great buildup and cliffhanger, I'm glad it wasn't nicely wrapped up in the last 5 minutes like usual.  Poor Maura.  They're all at her house and still no one thinks of her.  

• Love 4

I know sitting all day is bad, and I get up and move around a lot because my back can't handle it.  But my feet couldn't handle standing all day, either.  Not even having the option of a stool is quite odd to me.

• Love 2

Good episode, but the one thing that bothered me was that Jane (and the others) didn't immediately think that her family (not to mention close friends) would be potential targets, too.  They should have all been under watch as well.  (I was a little worried when the time reached 5:26 and Vince was shown standing all by himself on the sidewalk.  I fully expected him to get shot.)

I did think for a minute that the bodyguard would turn out to be a substitute for the real one that Maura hired and would be the killer, but changed my mind when he cooked dinner (and made cookies!) for Jane.  He was just too sincere about it.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 6

I loved Jane's reaction to eating the cookie.  She can be so childish - Angie Harmon pouts very well - but it's nicely balanced so that seeing her pout, or light up in the midst of all this by biting into a freshly-baked cookie is endearing instead of annoying.

I want a chocolate chip cookie now.

I also loved Jane saying something like, "Very dangerous, don't let her in" when Angela was knocking at the door.

• Love 2

Does anyone else hate R&I's use of cliffhangers?  Jane is shot; Jane jumps off a bridge.  Maura is kidnapped.  Will they survive?  Of course, they will. 

Viewers deserve better than this.  If TPTB absolutely feel they have to keep a story line going - and I wish they didn't - let it at least be that the suspect is still on the run or that we get to find out where Maura's biological mother or step-sister have been or whatever happened to Jane's other brother.  But don't leave Jane or Maura in jeopardy, because we know that they'll both be fine. 

• Love 9

Does anyone else hate R&I's use of cliffhangers?  Jane is shot; Jane jumps off a bridge.  Maura is kidnapped.  Will they survive?  Of course, they will. 

Viewers deserve better than this.  If TPTB absolutely feel they have to keep a story line going - and I wish they didn't - let it at least be that the suspect is still on the run or that we get to find out where Maura's biological mother or step-sister have been or whatever happened to Jane's other brother.  But don't leave Jane or Maura in jeopardy, because we know that they'll both be fine. 

And what makes it even worse is when the set-up for the cliffhanger is so contrived.  Maura gets called to a homicide and doesn't think it's odd that there are NO police there?  What, is every officer in Boston involved in the Jane case, and Maura is going to load the body into her car and gather up some evidence while she's at it?

• Love 5

At the point they were counting down to 5:26, I knew something was going to happen to Maura. I just thought it was going to happen right then, because she was the only one they didn't show during that whole segment and we didn't see her for a while afterwards. So I was expecting the gang to realize she'd been kidnapped at 5:26, and was surprised when eventually they showed her sitting in her office together with Jane. ButI still knew that was just postponing the inevitable.

My DVR cut off the end, so I saw Jane calling Maura and Maura about to answer, and then she was attacked, and as she was struggling the recording cut off. Did the episode show anything beyond that - Maura seeing who was kidnapping her, for instance, or the show cutting back to the house and having everyone realize that something definitely happened to Maura?

And like someone above, I was also annoyed at how long it took for them to think of Maura, as they all stood there in her house.

Of course we all know Maura won't be killed, but I do really wonder who's behind this. Maybe the Gregory Harrison character, since Jane has never seen him? Like a poster commented in the last ep thread, that seemed like too small a part for GH.

What's interesting is that whoever is behind this is basically the mirror image of Maura - smart, careful, organized, wealthy - only this person hates Jane while Maura loves Jane. I wonder if there's anything there. I hope Maura isn't going to be spending her time in captivity just bound and gagged, because I think she would have some pretty psychologically interesting conversations with her kidnapper. She did the psych profile, after all, and realized the full seriousness of the situation much earlier than anyone else, so she has a bead on this guy. It would be good stuff for Sasha to play, and I'm always about giving Sasha something to play (which is why I'm actually kind of happy that it's Maura's turn this go-around rather than Jane for the billionth time).

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 4

Did I miss it, or, when Jane was wondering whether it was time to quit police work because of what it was doing to her loved ones, did she mention only Angela and Frankie, but not Maura?  I know that Jane's and Maura's relationship is the "subtext" that can be interpreted as the viewer chooses, but it's obvious to everyone that they have a close, at least sisterly, relationship.  (In fact, Jane also could have included Vince, who has been emotionally involved in Jane's personal and professional life going back to Hoyt's first attack on her.)  Anyway, it seemed to me that Maura was a bit taken aback by Jane's lack of awareness of how her (Jane) being in danger affects Maura.  There seemed to be a little emotional distance in that scene.  YMMV.  Oh well, everyone was stressed and exhausted!

• Love 1

I liked this episode, even though I figured Maura would be kidnapped pretty early (preview from last week showed someone being kidnapped). Favorite parts were Jane's reactions to her phone not ringing to call her to the first murder (shaking it and holding it up like trying to get a signal), which also set up for Maura getting calls to crime scenes without Jane on occasion. Also Jane's reaction to the cookie. And especially seeing the kitchenette in Angela's home (she has a fridge and it looked like an oven or really big microwave). And loved when Vince cut the car commercial product placement short (my car has a special feature to charge phones - yeah yeah tell me about it later).

Didn't like the guest chairs across from Maura's desk (I think Vince sat on one, but it didn't look comfy), Angela's giving Frankie a beer and then sending him back to work (but did like him trading it for a coffee), and why did it take Nina so long to look for the stuff around the margins of the video? And, if Nina was going to run the combinations of 526 and 26, why the hell did it take so long for cops to realize "26-526" is the code for kidnapping?!?!?! The fans (like me) might not know police codes, but please! Someone should have realized that code in about 2 seconds!!!

Most of the rest I didn't mind. The bodyguard seemed competent, the arsonist may have messed with the wiring to start the fire to fool the arson squad, Jane thinking of her mother first once she got the connection to the watch. Even Frankie having to take a break seemed like a real reaction.

• Love 4

That bodyguard? Was SUPER sexay! He can guard my body ANYTIME!!

Ahem, carry on.

Sure would LOVE to see more of him. He made me perk up and I had been sick all day.

My silly brain works in dumb ways. I have a funny feeling that Kiki and Ron (or is that Rob) are really working together? I only say that because neither looks to be the right companion for their show person. Kiki doesn't look like good fit for Korsack and Ron the same for mommy dear. The role Greg H. played in the previous show was way too small for an actor of his background. There has to be an angle in there somewhere. Guess we have to wait to see. Kiki came up with that silly story about her "date" with Ron and it sounded too stupid to be believable.

Edited by nitrofishblue

Pretty good episode. Angie Harmon did a great job with all the emotional beats Jane went through over the course of the episode.

So psychiatrist guy at the prison place, there has to be more to that, right? (I admit I'm using TV logic where people don't get that much screen time without being relevant, but it's not like that doesn't usually work with this show). But who in the audience is going to remember that guy months from now when the show returns?

• Love 2

Although my recording cut off early, as I noted above, they did show the kidnapper's face, albeit very quickly - I had to pause. Don't ask me who it is, though, because I'm terrible at identifying faces. If somebody else wants to go back and pause it, maybe s/he can tell us if it's anyone we've seen before.

I enjoyed the early bit where Jane was so befuddled about not getting a call that she put the phone up to her ear. Fun riff on the usual "Rizzoli"/'Isles" bit.

Since Maura can think of other jobs she would like to do, I wonder if that conversation was a little bit of foreshadowing that when Maura survives this kidnapping ordeal, she has a brief life crisis where she thinks of quitting her job. Or maybe the convo was only meant to show Jane's all-consuming love of what she does.

• Love 1

I've been picking apart shows like a Thanksgiving turkey lately, but for some reason I always give R&I a pass. I noticed at the beginning of the episode that it was written by a man. Many of their shows could have been written by a man, I just didn't pay attention before. It made me wonder how he would write the Jane and Maura dynamic. I was a bit grumpy about the fact that Jane and Maura were in very few scenes together. Then something new happened for me. I actually got a bit of interest in the plot. By the end of the episode, it was obvious why they didn't have that much time together. We were supposed to concentrate more on Jane and actually feel the fact that Maura was hanging out around the edges. Almost like, we're going to forget about you for awhile Maura. So, at the very end, everyone is at her apartment all happy they are still safe and they don't even notice that Maura isn't there.  They were set up for this and so were we. I thought it worked, even though I realized what they were doing.

I'm with most people about not caring for constant cliff-hangers.  Don't think I could have handled a Jane jumps off bridge, Jane shot through the stomach( missing all vital organs), Jane being pushed in front of a train.  No, let someone else be the cliff-hanger. 

What I thought was at least attention grabbing about this one, is that they have given us a pretty good villain so far. He/she is very smart and is deep in the background, or so we think. I bet we've seen him/her. The psych guy stands out only because he appears to be the big hire of the week.

They took a few episodes to build up the fact that this villain has taken over Jane's whole life as far as personal information goes. That includes her phone.  The villain must have "spoofed" (spoof) the BPD phone to make Maura not even question the call to a fictional dead body.  This was just more interesting to me than most of R&I's cliff=hangers.  Remember in Season 1 when Jane shot through...oops that could be a spoiler if someone hasn't seen the show from the beginning. Anyway, that one was very good.

I know sitting all day is bad, and I get up and move around a lot because my back can't handle it.  But my feet couldn't handle standing all day, either.  Not even having the option of a stool is quite odd to me.

Bastet

I realized after I posted that I didn't mention that the work stations probably have stools or there is somewhere else they do sit down and work.  I've had jobs where I did have to stand 99 percent of the shift and it's not too bad if you keep moving around.  I think that's what they are doing with Nina.  We just see her when she's doing the research work from that terminal.  I'm guessing she also has desk work.  Hell, I don't know. Haha  It's just something I noticed like you did.

• Love 1

Agreed 100%. SVU does this as well. We know they're not going to kill off Maura, any more than SVU is going to kill off Olivia Benson. 

In addition to being able to call Maura with an ID she wouldn't question, our villain also had access to a car siren, police radio and crime scene tape, which made Maura less suspicious than she would've otherwise have been of the fake crime scene. She saw the car siren and crime scene tape and heard chatter on the police radio.

So yes, this guy is smart. I'm curious to see what his gameplan with Maura will be - does he intend to ask for ransom of some kind, and if so, what, or does he intend to set up a "game" where they have to find her by a certain time or she'll die? Or something else? Paddy Doyle may well get involved, and if so, that might actually be something this guy is banking on for some nefarious plan of his own. That might be an additional reason he chose Maura over Jane's mother and brothers. This guy may even end up being a recurring villain, which is something the show hasn't had for a while.

That's why I don't mind this cliffhanger. Unlike Jane jumping off a bridge or shooting herself, there is somewhere to go here, because there are stakes besides the death of someone we know will not die. Maura will live, but she may not be the same person for a while.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 2

New speculaation on the kidnapper. While I like the idea of Gregory Harrison's character, I think Kiki has been around/mentioned for too long for her to be involved and I can't think of their motive. So I'm proposing Kent, since we haven't seen him in a couple episodes, and his background is Army doctor, so maybe he knew Casey and was mad that she broke his heart. Or he's just a psycho who (since he wants to date a detective (I'm going with Jane in this scenario)) thinks Jane will turn to him in her time of crisis (or could be upset that she disses him and wants revenge). Obviously, I haven't fully formed my theory yet.

Anyone have any other speculation?

ETA - Pallida, I guess great minds think alike.

Edited by craziness
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode.  I thought they did a great job of building up the suspense.  Last year I raged with the will Jane live/die after jumping off the bridge cliffhanger, but I'm not overly bothered by this cliffhanger.  We of course know that Maura will be safe, but it is more of a whodunit/how will they solve it cliffhanger and that is what I'm looking forward to seeing.  We can all speculate the next few months about who the kidnapper is.

The Kent speculation intrigues me.  Also, maybe the father of the crazy teenage killer---he took her son, so he'll take someone close to her.  Kent makes more sense to me as he would have access to all pertinent information and could have made the crime scene seem real to Maura.

Paddy Doyle may well get involved, and if so, that might actually be something this guy is banking on for some nefarious plan of his own.

Didn't Paddy Doyle die in an earlier season?

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

I think the standing thing that Nina is doing is the latest office ergonomics technique. They have proven that sitting at a desk all day is really bad for your health.  I've read that a lot of work places are making standing work stations to help fight this.

I have bad feet, so it would be the least ergonomic thing for me. Though I do try to stand when I go to someone else's desk to provide support.

The Arson Dept. said the cause was electrical wiring and now it turns out it was arson?   No one thought the Arson Squad was involved when they heard that?  Like, those are two very different causes.

I handwave that because I figure just because they showed the zippo, didn't mean that's how the arsonist started the fire. It was just "theater" for Jane (especially since s/he hired the girl to flick the flame).

I can't figure out Kent's purpose on the show, so I can't decide if I'm speculating his involvement.

The thought that Kent might have been the guy did occur to me - since they spun a few threads that haven't been mentioned and he's been noticeably absent. But then I also remembered Maura's profile - which said it could be a man, OR a woman. Which is more intriguing to me.

Jane and her bodyguard were fun, but did something that just drives me insane (and it's done on pretty much every suspense show). Someone's hunkering down in protection - but they leave the blinds/drapes OPEN. I've never been under attack - but I make darn sure all my drapes and blinds are closed at night.

• Love 1

The bodyguard was hot. Then he cooked and damn, Maura- way to get that little bit extra for your best friend. I would be very happy if he showed up again. He and Angela were funny too until she made him kiss her cheek. He was so obviously uncomfortable and reluctant. I know she can't take a hint but here I think she just didn't care and that angers me.

I loved that we got to see the guest house! I'd even pay rent to live there. I loved the little courtyard between them with all the greenery (and were those votive lights?) and the stained glass around the door. Though with all those gorgeous appliances, why is her food in Maura's kitchen? And why did she go to Maura's kitchen in her robe to make tea? Oh, yes, Angela.

I don't mind the ongoing progression to goofy Jane but it was over the top for me this ep. Really from the time she ran into the bodyguard because she was busy glaring at Korsak and on. Maybe it was the sulkiness. My four year old sulks and pouts like that. It's not endearing in a grown woman. She was frustrating me with her attitude with Korsak too. Everyone is upset and scared Jane. Maybe that kind of attitude is why some of the squad was not exactly gung ho about being ordered to drop everything to focus on only her case.

I agree with AlwaysWatching that Maura was on the outskirts to build the ending but it worked because it wasn't surprising. Of course when the crisis hit Maura was outside the circle. Still, I don't understand why it took them so long to realize that Jane wasn't the only possible target. They should have at least brought Angela in and kept an eye on Frankie. Thatwouldn't have saved Maura but it would have been more logical. Or if it had occurred to any of them toasting in Maura's house a little earlier that maybe they should keep an eye on her too. Everything about that scene was weird.

Of course Jane can't imagine being anything but a cop while Maura has a list of dream careers exploring her other interests. That was predictable even for this show. Jane insisted on the job when she was shot and when she was pregnant. Now after two days she's so freaked out that she was wondering if it's worth it? That hit me as OOC for her so it must have been about Maura. Though I can't see her quitting and running away to Maine, she could stop going to crime scenes and throw herself into running the lab. Since she actually runs multiple crime labs it would be logical for her to just work in the lab and cut back her involvement in the case itself beyond the autopsy. But it would be a big change for Jane and the show.

I loved the Maura/Frankie scene. Her checking on him was so sister-ly and sweet. And I liked that he really appreciated it. I also liked the scene with Maura and Nina. It was a different perspective than we usually see in the squad. It was boss!Maura reminding Nina to do the correct thing (and IMO the best thing) by keeping Korsak informed even though she knew she likely wouldn't. I also liked how subdued Maura was there, just keeping an eye on things.

The end was kind of weird but I think the day caught up with Maura. She saw the police car and crime scene tape, didn't see or hear the people, and just thought 'I don't have time for this shit today' and took off to get the job done. She didn't really go very far though before she stopped to call Jane back and started to turn around. At least it's not Jane in peril again even if the case is still All About Jane. Paddy might find her but I don't think he's involved at this point. Kent makes sense but I don't want it. So my vote is the shrink or Ron.

Two questions: What actually happened with the dead girl? Did they really imply that there was nothing at all to do in Frankie's apartment but read the newspaper and stare out the window?

• Love 1

It's got to be Paul Schulze--the prison psych-- who is behind it. You don't cast an actor of his rank for a one-off scene. And a mad psych pitted against Maura seems like great fun

I'd forgotten about  him. He had means and opportunity and a connection to the dead girl - but what about motive? Maybe he's also the shrink for the boy murderer with the fire obsession? If it's him, I've hoped they've laid at least some of the clues out this season.

It's got to be Paul Schulze--the prison psych-- who is behind it. You don't cast an actor of his rank for a one-off scene.

I'm not familiar with him.  I looked him up on IMDb and he has a number of single shot appearances in his list of credits, but those characters may have had a lot more than one scene.  If he generally has a higher profile, you may very well be onto something.

It's got to be Paul Schulze--the prison psych-- who is behind it. You don't cast an actor of his rank for a one-off scene. And a mad psych pitted against Maura seems like great fun

This was my thought with Gregory Harrison - too recognizable an actor for such a short scene.

Bastet-- if you watched "Nurse Jackie", you might remember him as Eddie the pharmacist, Jackie's lovesick and long suffering dupe. He also played the Priest ,in the early seasons of the Sopranos, who was Carmella's spiritual adviser ( and temptation)

No, I didn't watch those.  When I looked at his photo and credits, I recognized him from an episode of Cold Case (in which he had a fairly small role, but as the killer, so an important one), but that's it. 

Now that the season is over, I'm still waiting for the payoff on Susie Chang's death. I recall reading that her death was supposed to spark an outpouring of grief, etc... but beyond the scene in the bar, I don't recall anything - and no further discussion of her. Unless her death is connected in some weird way to the person who kidnapped Maura, I think it was a waste to lose the character.

• Love 2

Now that the season is over, I'm still waiting for the payoff on Susie Chang's death. I recall reading that her death was supposed to spark an outpouring of grief, etc... but beyond the scene in the bar, I don't recall anything - and no further discussion of her. Unless her death is connected in some weird way to the person who kidnapped Maura, I think it was a waste to lose the character.

I wouldn't mind a decision to not revisit the character of Susie on the show--she was great when alive, but I thought her death was poorly done, so I'd rather not see more of that. But I was really offended on Susie's behalf when, last week, Jane commented about the LA coroner in reference to Maura's dead body nerdiness: "There's two of them!" I mentally said to the TV, "Yeah, but there would be 3 of them if you hadn't killed off one." I realize Susie was like Maura in a very different way, but still, that was where my mind went.
  • Love 3

In addition to being able to call Maura with an ID she wouldn't question, our villain also had access to a car siren, police radio and crime scene tape, 

It was a light, not a siren, technically. I don't think it's difficult to get one of those lights. In small towns where first responders are volunteers, they often purchase lights like that for their own vehicles. I don't know if blue is harder to get than red, but probably only a little.

The radio and police tape are trickier, but again, there are people that make those things that police departments buy from, so they can probably be obtained with at most just a bit of social engineering.

The radio and police tape are trickier, but again, there are people that make those things that police departments buy from, so they can probably be obtained with at most just a bit of social engineering.

Prop houses for tv shows and movies have all of these items on hand.

The "real" kidnapper could have a hired goon do the actual snatch. That photo may not look like anyone (and was probably one of the stunt guys hanging around the set anyway).

My money is on the psychologist for the reasons mentioned above. Hey was a HITG for me, so I was pretty sure they didn't cast him for a one-scene appearance.

I thought it looked like long, femininely coiffed hair sticking out. If that's what you thought was a mustache, it must be Yosemite Sam, heh.

yosemite-sam-1526734.gif

Uh-oh.  Lee Thompson Young (Det. Barry Frost) once said that Angie's parents must have been Aphrodite and Yosemite Sam.  

• Love 1

I'm not seeing mustache, just shadow on the upper lip, and the hair on the assailant's shoulder is probably Maura's. I'm going with the Mickey Rourke theory, on a break from his comeback as an aging action hero. (Full disclosure: I haven't seen Mr. Rourke in anything since the mid-90s and he will always be Boogie Sheftell in my eyes, so I have no idea what type of character he's playing these days.)