Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Kim Zolciak: Get Wiggy With the Real Housewife

• Start Topic

STFU, KIm. I actually felt sorry for you & your kids when I first heard about the stroke, but your petulance since being eliminated has worked my last nerve. Several seasons ago,  Misty May-Trainor suffered a serious injury to her Achilles tendon during rehearsal and she had to quit the competition, but she handled leaving with much more grace and class than you've done, so if anyone deserves to come back to compete again, it's her, not you, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 7

No, Melissa got 2 scores a 21 for a rehearsal and a 25 for not dancing the Mambo.  If we apply the draconian rule they slapped on Kim it would be no scores at all. Hell they could have not given that 25 to Melissa, just give it to the team instead, that would not have penalized the team, that would have put that Chuck Wicks guy in the semis, but poor Melissa needed the points to get to the semis so the producers made it happen for her.

I stand corrected, the 25 was from the team mambo. You're right.

I think team dances are different because they were working together for one score. At the time, Melissa would have carried that team, so it's likely if she had performed they all would have gotten a higher score (Chuck was personable but not a great dancer, Shawn was above average but not the best dancer, and it was still at a time where Mark out danced his partners). Why shouldn't she get the points that her team could earn? You don't not get a superbowl ring if your team wins just because you didn't play. It's also the nature of the game.

The difference between Melissa's jive and Kim's situation is Melissa showed up, on the DWTS stage, the day of the show, prepared to dance and then wasn't cleared to. They had very raw footage of what she was supposed to have done, so they used that. Kim had none of that and couldn't get back to LA to throw something together. If they let Kim and Tony Facetime their performance in, that's just opening up precedence for all sorts of other tele-dances. Don't have time to commit to DWTS? Do it anyway. It's not a problem, they'll literally let you phone it in. And that would degrade the show even further, IMO.

Again, sucks for Kim and sucks even more for Tony. But if I were her, I'd be focused on the fact that I had a stroke (even a mini one) and not on the fact I couldn't continue on a celebrity dance show.

• Love 4

I came up with a solution to make everyone happy. They should have a "Injured Dancers" season where they just let all the people who had to leave early due to an injury dance again. It could be three weeks long, and just eliminate 5 couples each week. That way everyone can get one more chance, assuming they are no longer injured. 

Is ABC hiring? Lol.

• Love 3
I came up with a solution to make everyone happy. They should have a "Injured Dancers" season where they just let all the people who had to leave early due to an injury dance again. It could be three weeks long, and just eliminate 5 couples each week. That way everyone can get one more chance, assuming they are no longer injured.

Is ABC hiring? Lol.

Except the stars that are eliminated get killed, Logan's Run-style.

• Love 3

STFU, KIm. I actually felt sorry for you & your kids when I first heard about the stroke, but your petulance since being eliminated has worked my last nerve. Several seasons ago,  Misty May-Trainor suffered a serious injury to her Achilles tendon during rehearsal and she had to quit the competition, but she handled leaving with much more grace and class than you've done, so if anyone deserves to come back to compete again, it's her, not you, as far as I'm concerned.

An Achilles Tendon injury is a season ending injury.  A mini-stroke can be dealt with effectively enough so that a person can go back to work within a few days. My aunt had a few TMI's but was able to go back to work within a week.  I think it's unfortunate to compare an injury to a condition. I am pretty certain that Ms Trainor would try to come back as quickly as possible. In fact, she did lobby to come back and the producers wouldn't have it.   http://www.thewrap.com/misty-may-treanor-wants-back-dancing-stars-41821/  

I think it's a gossip column in the New York Post? You can probably find it on the internet.

I found the article but couldn't see the comments.. Thank u though! Im still a doofus. :)

I am pretty certain that Ms Trainor would try to come back as quickly as possible. In fact, she did lobby to come back and the producers wouldn't have it.   http://www.thewrap.c...g-stars-41821/

Four years later isn't "as quickly as possible". Misty May took time to recover from her season ending injury before campaigning to come back at a point where TPTB were actively looking to bring back former contestants. Not the same as Kim, who took ... less than a week before wanting to come back to the season she was on? Even less, if you count her practicing her routine to the point where she felt like she could perform it on national TV.

And no, I wouldn't compare a snapped Achilles to Kim's TIA. A snapped Achilles is much less concerning, IMO. Yes, Misty May was out for the season and had surgery, but Kim is stroking for apparently no reason. Her concern should have been why it happened and what can she do to have it not happen again, not on being cleared to dance and campaigning to come back, despite how okay she felt in the aftermath.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

Gee it is wonderful that people feel it's their place to say why a contestant should or should not come back based on the little information we get from media reports. If Kim was cleared to dance then she was cleared to dance. It is too bad that personal opinions about the person renders it impossible for her to return. I prefer to leave my personal opinion of her out of it and look at what is fair. Obviously she has some support to come back, and she wasn't treated fairly. ABC does whatever the heck it wants, they have done it for years, they are not about to change now. Kim probably won't get to come back because like many bone head moves over the years it slowly erodes a once fun show into something unwatchable. Like I said previously, I only watch one or two couples and then I change the channel. Gone are the days when I cared enough to watch the whole thing through

Carrie Ann Inaba & Kym Johnson Don't Think It Would Be Fair For Kim To Come Back To DWTS

http://www.people.com/article/carrie-ann-inaba-kym-johnson-think-unfair-kim-zolciak-return-dwts

and the ABC shills state their side of it, ignoring everything they did in the past

• Love 1

I don't know Kim at all.  Seems to me that 1) Kim's lying, because there's no way the person whom I have been seeing dancing learned all of "the dance that Jenna just did" in one day and 2) she wants the publicity of doing DWTS, so her petition and fussing is just a way to keep her name out there and in "entertainment news" headlines.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 7

I don't know Kim at all.  Seems to me that 1) Kim's lying, because there's no way the person who I have been seeing dancing learned all of "the dance that Jenna just did" in one day and 2) she wants the publicity of doing DWTS, so her petition and fussing is just a way to keep her name out there and in "entertainment news" headlines.

Well I've heard more about her in the past month than I ever had before. So I guess mission accomplished for her? (Sucks for the rest of us though...)

• Love 1

Gee it is wonderful that people feel it's their place to say why a contestant should or should not come back based on the little information we get from media reports. If Kim was cleared to dance then she was cleared to dance. It is too bad that personal opinions about the person renders it impossible for her to return. I prefer to leave my personal opinion of her out of it and look at what is fair. Obviously she has some support to come back, and she wasn't treated fairly. ABC does whatever the heck it wants, they have done it for years, they are not about to change now. Kim probably won't get to come back because like many bone head moves over the years it slowly erodes a once fun show into something unwatchable. Like I said previously, I only watch one or two couples and then I change the channel. Gone are the days when I cared enough to watch the whole thing through

and the ABC shills state their side of it, ignoring everything they did in the past

I agree. The show used to be fun before all the manipulation. Even Golden Boy wasn't favored before the last few seasons. The last few seasons have been heavily manipulated IMO (ever since Melissa's all star "win"). I'm no fan of Kim, but I don't appreciate the way she and Tony were treated. If they had danced in Atlanta and got voted off, I would have been fine with that. 

• Love 1

For me it is the "in Atlanta" bit that makes this so achingly, obviously different from every single counterexample offered. No, Kim does not get to perform from Atlanta, Andy, Meryl, and Charlie cannot perform from tour, Nastia could not have performed from New York, and my heart absolutely breaks for Alek, but if he does not come back from Oregon by Monday he does not get to continue in the competition either. 

The DWTS Gossip twitter account posted a link to Shawn Johnson's old contract, from when she was on the show the first time. Obviously each contract is individually negotiated, as she was forbidden from even leaving the LA area, but I can't imagine clause 8 is any different, which gives producers the right to eliminate any participant, at ANY time, "for any reason or no reason." Producers have an out no matter what, even if it weren't any sort of extenuating circumstances, they can release you at any time. I'd be shocked if that right hasn't been there from the beginning, "when the show was good." Which is why cries of "unfair" from Kim are crazy to me. It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 6

Well the actual line is "Artist shall not leave the LA area without producer consent." I would guess that's something standard in there, and you have your manager negotiate your exceptions as needed, and the show takes them if they want you hard enough. It's in the producer's best interest for you to stay in LA. 

I just think allowing remote dances is a giant can of worms. I don't want to see dances filmed in an airport because your flight got canceled. You make it back to the show, or you don't do the show. 

• Love 7

When Tom eliminated them, he first cited The Rules. Then when Kim and Tony asked if they could make an exception, he said something like, "We checked with the lawyers, and they said no." I interpret that to mean TPTB did, in fact, think about making an exception and the lawyers said, cleared or not, no way are we taking on the liability of her dropping dead on live television. I can't say I blame them for that, even if it is unfair.

• Love 4

This is obviously purely my own personal opinion, but I truly believe that what we saw Monday night was nothing but Kabuki.  People love to through around the specter of various reality shows running afoul of various laws.  But that's simply not the case.  The most effective deterrent for TPTB on any show is the risk that the show will even appear to be fixed, or that there is overt favoritism towards/against a particular contestant.  

I think TPTB made a decision that they could not keep Kim around under the circumstances.  And I don't there were any lawyers involved in that decision (at least not in terms of providing legal advise about what laws might apply).  They might have been involved to confirm that Kim's contract did not require them to keep her around under the circumstances.

Obviously Tony wants to stick around because, I"m assuming, he'd get paid more.  And, other than his All Star Ringer season, he does tend to get stuck with the shittiest contestants.

Kim obviously wants to stick around to get paid more and to stay on camera, especially if she can do it without having to actually dance.

But let's keep perspective here.  Don't be misled by some people calling this a TIA or just a mini-stroke.  The only difference between a TIA and a traditional "stroke" is that with a TIA the clot breaks up before the brain is permanently damaged.  From the perspective of a first-time incident, until they find out what caused the clot, or rule out the worst possibilities, it's no joke

• Love 6

You make sense, but these are the same people who allowed Valerie Harper on the show. They didn't seem that concerned about Noah Galloway and Amy, who could have fallen and seriously hurt themselves, either. 

• Love 1

But let's keep perspective here.  Don't be misled by some people calling this a TIA or just a mini-stroke.  The only difference between a TIA and a traditional "stroke" is that with a TIA the clot breaks up before the brain is permanently damaged.  From the perspective of a first-time incident, until they find out what caused the clot, or rule out the worst possibilities, it's no joke

This is absolutely correct.  "The only difference between a TIA and a traditional "stroke" is that with a TIA the clot breaks up before the brain is permanently damaged."

In my view, there is a huge difference between any contestant falling and hurting themselves and someone having just had a stroke of undetermined cause where there's a real risk of it happening again until cause is figured out and treated which could take weeks. 

If you look at Shawn's contract*, sections 15, 16 and 17, there are clauses stating that (paraphrasing) the show will not be liable for injuries, the show can require exams by the company doctor and the show may have insurance on the cast members to cover the show. 

In a nutshell, 1) Injuries like falling and hurting oneself is the star's problem, not the show's problem, 2) not only would Kim have to be cleared by her own doctor, if she did arrive in LA, she'd also be subject to exam and clearance by the company doctor. 3) the insurance carrier might not have been willing to cover the show for the part of the policy covering Kim and possibly Tony if Kim returned, suffered another stroke and was unable to continue.

*I'd bet these are standard contract terms and wouldn't be negotiated by any of the stars or pros.

Edited by Uke

You make sense, but these are the same people who allowed Valerie Harper on the show. They didn't seem that concerned about Noah Galloway and Amy, who could have fallen and seriously hurt themselves, either.

As could Heather Mills--the former 2nd Mrs. Paul McCartney & another leg amputee--who did the show a few seasons ago.

• Love 1

I think TPTB made a decision that they could not keep Kim around under the circumstances.  And I don't there were any lawyers involved in that decision (at least not in terms of providing legal advise about what laws might apply).  They might have been involved to confirm that Kim's contract did not require them to keep her around under the circumstances.

To be clear, I wasn't saying the lawyers wanted to make sure they followed applicable laws regarding contracts and game show rules. I think the lawyers said, "She had a STROKE?!? She could DROP DEAD on LIVE TV?!?!? Nooooooo no no, nope, uh-uh, not gonna happen. We cannot take on that kind of liability. No exceptions for this!" 

Edited by majormama
  • Love 1

Last I checked, everyone can fall down and hurt themselves.

Yes, true. But in the cases of Amy, Noah, & Heather, I think what the OP & I were thinking of was injury from a fall caused by their leg prosthetics somehow not being attached properly & coming off mid-dance. Especially if it were a "dancing-specific" model they weren't used to using, instead of what they use for daily living.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Yes, true. But in the cases of Amy, Noah, & Heather, I think what the OP & I were thinking of was injury from a fall caused by their leg prosthetics somehow not being attached properly & coming off mid-dance. Especially if it were a "dancing-specific" model they weren't used to using, instead of what they use for daily living.

I guess I don't get the risk of someone falling over (especially if that someone is used to traveling down mountains at high speeds strapped to a board) has to do with the risk of someone's brain exploding* on live TV, in terms of legal liability. 

*yes I know that's hyperbole. 

• Love 2

The chances of Amy, Noah or Heather having a prosthetic "fall off" mid dance is extremely miniscule. No more likely than someone tearing an ACL or an Achilles' tendon rupturing. It has never happened to me in nearly 50 years.

I think what the producers were more influenced by what happen to Marie Osmond than what happened to Steve or Melissa. Marie dropping over in a dead faint had to be terrifying for Tom, Johnathon(?), the judges and TPtB. I am sure no one wants to risk that happening again, especially when it could be argued the show knowingly allowed it to happen.

An Achilles Tendon injury is a season ending injury. A mini stroke can be dealt with effectively enough so that a person can go back to work within a few days. My aunt had a few TMIs but was able to go back to work within a week. I think it's unfortunate to compare an injury to condition. I am pretty certain that Ms. Trainor would come back as quickly as possible. In fact, she did lobby to come back and the producers wouldn't have it.

I respectfully disagree, for the most part.  Re the last point, in that case TPTB were wrong because Ms. Treanor not only took the time to let herself heal, she didn't try to get her teammate Kerri Walsh to replace her, like Kim's retweeting the suggestion that her daughter take her place. While it's true that people can work after suffering mini-strokes, most of them aren't competing on a TV dance show that has its contestants rehearsing several hours a day. I wasn't comparing Kim's health to Ms. Treanor's, I was comparing their attitudes. Ms. Treanor may have lobbied to return to the show after her injury, but at least she wasn't desperate nor pathetic about it, unlike Kim.

Comparing attitudes is not being fair. It really doesn't matter if one is an athlete who has been trained and coached into dealing with injury, or a reality show person who hasn't had that on her radar.  This show is all about different attitudes, that's why people watch. Everyone seems to conveniently skip over Valerie Harper, who at the time of her brain cancer had no idea if the dancing would render her dead, but who enjoyed the experience for she and her partner.  Or Marie Osmond who collapsed unconscious, somehow that too wasn't enough to say good bye to her.  I found Marie Osmond to be highly disagreeable and smug about her place on the show, and yet those tv ratings that her doll fans brought in were just too good.  Time to overlook the mis-hap.  Now in the case of Kim it is more obvious that she's not a ratings grabber.  That's the only  reason she's being dumped. But fairness? be damned. 

Everyone seems to conveniently skip over Valerie Harper, who at the time of her brain cancer had no idea if the dancing would render her dead, but who enjoyed the experience for she and her partner.  Or Marie Osmond who collapsed unconscious, somehow that too wasn't enough to say good bye to her.  I found Marie Osmond to be highly disagreeable and smug about her place on the show, and yet those tv ratings that her doll fans brought in were just too good.  Time to overlook the mis-hap.  Now in the case of Kim it is more obvious that she's not a ratings grabber.

Your arguments don't really make a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure why you're dragging Marie Osmond or Valeria Harper into the situation. The situations aren't the same. I'm not exactly sure how the behind the scenes stuff work - the contracts and whatnot - but Valeria Harper started out the show with the producers knowing full well what her condition was. I'm assuming she got some kind of clearance from her doctors to do it and given that her condition was well known before the show started the show was covered and wouldn't be liable if anything happened to her. Plus, Valerie didn't miss any shows due to her illness, unlike Kim. 

As far as Marie Osmond is concerned - she fainted AFTER she had already performed. So, again,  there was no missed performance issue. Plus, I'm fairly sure her fainting was chalked up to something non-fatal like exhaustion or dehydration. That's nowhere near someone having a stroke.

• Love 5

The situations aren't different, it's the attitude towards Kim that's different. If we accept that Tony said the producers were fighting for Kim to return, but the lawyers said no then let's look at the situations:  Brain Cancer is something that the lawyers would have a difficult time okaying for the show in any environment. We know especially Valerie's circumstances and the odds she was given by her doctor did not bode well for survival. No lawyer would say okay. 

Marie Osmond might be given a bit more leeway by the doctors, but the lawyers would expect a full work up of her health, and if she was missing meals as she claims because of her involvement with NutriSystem, then I could see the lawyers getting up tight about that situation as well, possibly telling her to end her contract with NutriSystem if she wants to remain on the show.

If the show can get rid of contestants for any reason, then brain cancer and possible death and

starving yourself so you can be a spokesperson for a diet brand of pre-packaged foods is more than reason enough to give them the boot.  But they didn't get the boot.

It is reasonable to expect lawyer involvement in both scenarios but it appears there was none. 

Why then parse out Kim's predicament as lawyers saying "no" when it's obvious they are nitpicking to get her out?  Because the only thing they had to fall back on was her being in Atlanta, (which can be easily worked with since camera crews shoot rehearsals all the time out of town.)  By demanding that Kim come back for the show was risking her health, and yet they have given others options in the past for not appearing on camera.  Not fair.

Valeria Harper started out the show with the producers knowing full well what her condition was. I'm assuming she got some kind of clearance from her doctors to do it and given that her condition was well known before the show started the show was covered and wouldn't be liable if anything happened to her. Plus, Valerie didn't miss any shows due to her illness, unlike Kim.

Not to mention, Valerie Harper has lung cancer that has metastasized to her brain and that was responding to chemo and radiation. It's not a disease that is going to cause her brain to explode* or something else with acute onset, which is likely why DWTS and her doctors felt she was well enough to dance. As long as she was responding to treatment (she was) and felt well enough to practice (she did), dancing wouldn't have been (and wasn't) a problem. Not the same as suffering a "small stroke" out of nowhere for an otherwise healthy 37 year old.

* this is still hyperbole.

We know especially Valerie's circumstances and the odds she was given by her doctor did not bode well for survival. No lawyer would say okay.

But dancing was not going to cause the potential for her condition to worsen. Because they don't know why Kim stroked, they can't rule out dancing as the cause, which is most likely why the lawyers balked.

By demanding that Kim come back for the show was risking her health, and yet they have given others options in the past for not appearing on camera.  Not fair.

But that's not true. Everyone else in the same situation has appeared on the DWTS stage to perform, just maybe not for the live performance **. Allowing Kim to tele-dance opens a giant can of worms that I don't think anyone wanted to get into in terms of setting precedence for people being able to dance from anywhere for any reason.

** Except as previously mentioned, Melissa and her team mambo.

• Love 2

But dancing was not going to cause the potential for her condition to worsen. Because they don't know why Kim stroked, they can't rule out dancing as the cause, which is most likely why the lawyers balked.

We did not know if dancing was going to make her condition better or worse, moreover the lawyers don't know that, even Valerie said "not if but when" she will die of the disease.  There were no absolutes, so my guess is the lawyers made sure that ABC was absolved of any responsibility. 

Here as well, with Kim - not sure why the lawyers  have to balk, since the show will put all responsibility on the contestant.  If she doesn't make it back to the studio and we get a crummy rehearsal, so be it. Let her stand and be judged on that, a much more fair way of getting the boot.  If they did that, then the precident would more likely be set that you go to the show, you get in costume and do your best, that will get your scores, not a rehearsal piece.

Edited by Andie1

I'll say it: I think Wig was a gigantic PITA for production and Dancing With The Stars personnel, and this was a convenient way out.

Again, the "rules" would have been shredded or ignored if she was a popular contestant or dancing with Derek Hough.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 2

Let's imagine what would have happened if Kim was allowed back on the show. A) She could have another stroke and sue the show out the Wahoo or B) Kim milks the sympathy for all its worth (even more so than previous contestants if it's possible) and continually beats other stronger, better contestants simply because of her story. I would not want to see that and I wouldn't put it past Kim for having that as her main reason for wanting back on the show. It's all about her and publicity and money.

The chances of Amy, Noah or Heather having a prosthetic "fall off" mid dance is extremely miniscule. No more likely than someone tearing an ACL or an Achilles' tendon rupturing. It has never happened to me in nearly 50 years.

One of Giusy Versace's prosthetic legs flew off in the Italian edition of DWtS, so it can happen. And I mean "flew", not "fell". (No one was hurt and she ended up winning the season.)

I hope Kim recovers her health, but I'm relieved I no longer have to watch her lurch through her dances.

A mini stroke can be dealt with effectively enough so that a person can go back to work within a few days. My aunt had a few TIAs but was able to go back to work within a week.

It might not be the actual TIA which is holding her back - it could be that she's on blood thinners and her doctors have advised her not to travel via airplane due to an increased risk of DVT (clots in the legs) which can go to the lungs (or brain). Chris Bosch (Miami Heat basketball player) was diagnosed with blood clots to his lungs (presumed from this legs) from excessive travel and was sidelined for quite a while because he was on blood thinners for at least three months. 

• Love 2

Let's imagine what would have happened if Kim was allowed back on the show. A) She could have another stroke and sue the show out the Wahoo or B) Kim milks the sympathy for all its worth (even more so than previous contestants if it's possible) and continually beats other stronger, better contestants simply because of her story. I would not want to see that and I wouldn't put it past Kim for having that as her main reason for wanting back on the show. It's all about her and publicity and money.

I agree with this completely. She is whiny, self-centered and constantly putting her own interests over anyone else's. I don't know what happened to put her in the hospital--I'd believe a doctor's statement, nothing from Kim herself, unfortunately--but I'm convinced that if she had a mini-stroke and there was ANY threat to her health from flying, she'd milk the sympathy for all it was worth and just stay home. (Possibly suing the show if she had a chance to prove it was dancing-related. Luckily for them, the botox complicates it and will probably keep her from doing that.)

She seemed like a giant PITA (just like she is on the Real Housewives). I can't remember anyone who was so smug about her dancing from the beginning even while being so bad. ("It's a sexy dance. If I were dancing the salsa with my husband my performance would have been so good."-paraphrasing, but not much)  Doing well (relatively) for one week and seeming grumpy "Well, of course I wanted all 10's"--didn't seem to be joking there either. (As If). I didn't like the clip of her going to the taxi with the cameras, answering someone's question (producer? Tony?) so dismissively, with her back to the camera. She is really an awful person and it figures that she is the only person I can remember who left the show so negatively and gracelessly (wouldn't surprise me if she was whining in order to get them to pay her as if she'd stayed on the whole season--and I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that they did, just to protect themselves in court. She's a piece of work.)

• Love 3

I thought Kim'd be gone the first week of eliminations, so she lasted longer than I expected. Glad she is gone. Sheesh. Hope she recovers.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

This is Kim's MO. "I'm a VICTIM, can't you SEE. Feel sorry for MEEEE."

You and I know her too well. LMAO

I was envisioning her being brought out on a stretcher, with angels behind her, music blaring, Tony lifts her off the stretcher and twirls her around.... lays her back down.... it's their routine!

• Love 3

Kim will be on GMA Thursday morning SPEAKING OUT!!! I can't be sure, but it looked like she is live in the studio. In NYC. You know.... it takes a jet to get you there from ATL....

Which will only lead to questions as to "if you could fly to NYC, why couldn't you fly to LAX?" or something along those lines. Which will make her start that hand slapping/waving thing she does when she's trying to figure out what to say and divert at the same time.

• Love 1

This isn't (or apparently isn't) based on the GMA interview, but Kim says she has to have heart surgery to correct a previously-undetected hole in her heart, which apparently was discovered as a result of her recent TIA (she says the hole is possibly familial--she says an aunt had the same thing at the same age as Kim is now). The surgery is apparently already scheduled, but the linked article doesn't say when it's taking place.

http://m.eonline.com/news/704565/kim-zolciak-bermann-reveals-new-details-about-her-heart-condition-i-will-have-heart-surgery

This isn't (or apparently isn't) based on the GMA interview, but Kim says she has to have heart surgery to correct a previously-undetected hole in her heart, which apparently was discovered as a result of her recent TIA (she says the hole is possibly familial--she says an aunt had the same thing at the same age as Kim is now). The surgery is apparently already scheduled, but the linked article doesn't say when it's taking place.

http://m.eonline.com/news/704565/kim-zolciak-bermann-reveals-new-details-about-her-heart-condition-i-will-have-heart-surgery

Thus proving that TPTB were right.  A heart condition, even a slight one, is nothing to fool around with.

• Love 2

Thus proving that TPTB were right.  A heart condition, even a slight one, is nothing to fool around with.

No it doesn't prove anything.  If her doctor gave her the go ahead to dance, she should.  All this does was try to put a muzzle on that Williams woman.

Edited by Andie1

I dunno, if it were my ... um... much younger sister I'd be *really* annoyed at a doctor that minimized a hole in the heart that caused a TIA in a 37-year-old woman.

ETA: I wonder if the PTB knew about the hole and checked with other doctors.

Edited by Serendi
  • Love 1

I dunno, if it were my ... um... much younger sister I'd be *really* annoyed at a doctor that minimized a hole in the heart that caused a TIA in a 37-year-old woman.

ETA: I wonder if the PTB knew about the hole and checked with other doctors.

And that would be disgusting.  I sure as hell would not want my employer poking around and playing doctor when MY OWN doctor gave me clearance. She is obviously taking the risk. ABC doesn't take any risk, they have no soul they just want ratings.  It was better for ratings to kick her off than to have her stay on, they don't give a crap about her health.

Edited by Andie1

I assume it isn't something like an "innocent murmur" that so many people have. The good thing is that it doesn't sound like she could sue the show if she's talking about having a "hole in her heart". Not that I care so much about the finances of DWTS, but I haven't seen anything duplicitous or corrupt from them, and Kim is well known for being both. I would hate to see her combine the delusion that she was going to get 10s (and possibly win) together with a big financial payout for being "forbidden" to compete when she was ready.

I haven't seen all the seasons of RHoAtlanta, but I've seen enough to know Kim's a lying manipulative (rhymes with) witch and one of the most arrogant and entitled non-entities that I've ever seen on television.  Until a professional says otherwise publicly, I'm going to assume her health is fine and wish her a future of more of the same, far away from the television shows that I otherwise enjoy.

• Love 1

I know quite a bit about this issue because my wife had an unexplained stroke and was found to have a hole in her heart (officially a "patent foramen ovale", or PTO).

I believe the fact that Kim is having surgery for this suggests that her condition is worse than has been made public.  Here's why:

First of all, when we're in the uterus we all have this hole.  It connects the two sides of our heart and is the way that oxygen (that comes from the umbilical cord) gets circulated through a fetus' body.  Typically once the baby is born and starts breathing through its mouth/nose, and usually with its first cry, this whole closes on its own.

However, in about 30% of people, it doesn't.  Most of these people never realize this, unless or until they have some problem that causes a doctor to look at their heart more closely.  

Now, when they look at people with otherwise unexplained strokes, about 50% of those people end up having these holes still open.  But that means that 50% of those people don't have them.

Therefore, since the jury is still out on whether there's even a connection between these PTOs and strokes, most doctors would not recommend surgery for someone after just one unexplained stroke, especially if it was minor enough to be considered a TIA.  There are significant risks to open heart surgery.  And the less invasive laparoscopic procedure (that basically puts a cork in the hole) has not been FDA-approved (because of the cork comes loose, that can kill you).

All this leads me to believe that either this isn't Kim's first clotting issue, or it was more severe than they've said.

[btw, in reality-related news, Brett Michaels had this sort of surgery after he had several very serious issues]

• Love 1