Type keyword(s) to search

The Weather Channel

roseha
  • Start Topic

I know, I get really annoyed at Weather Channel too when they turn up the hype machine -  named winter storms, Fat Guys in the Woods, Prospectors - but the Atlantic Hurricane season is picking up apparently and there are times I really appreciate their experts.  When short-lived Danny was a Hurricane, there was a really interesting short piece where they explained how the hurricane hunter planes use a form of radar to measure the strength and properties of a storm, and the way it used to be done via some kind of wave measurements back around 1900 or so.  I don't live - generally - in a hurricane prone area, which is to say I live in New York City and was very lucky to not be affected at all personally by Sandy, though I didn't leave my apartment for several days, I didn't even lose power or my cable (I was the only person in my family so lucky).  However, what I wish WC would acknowledge, or at least the Powers that Be at WC would acknowledge, is that in the age of climate change, why should you have to hype anything?

Edited by roseha

Yesterday I saw Jim doing a segment from DC. 

Instead of his usual enthusiastic self it seemed like he was kind of depressed that the storm was (at that time) underperforming relative to their forecast. He seemed especially disappointed that he technically couldn't claim he was reporting from a blizzard.

Yesterday I saw Jim doing a segment from DC.

Instead of his usual enthusiastic self it seemed like he was kind of depressed that the storm was (at that time) underperforming ts

He should have come back today. It's been snowing all day, getting worse this afternoon, and the snow isn't supposed to end until midnight - that's 34 hours of snow for me. Thomas Point Light showed sustained winds of 39 knots, gusts to 44 knots, at 4 am (near Annapolis) before it stopped reporting.

I'm so pissed at Verizon for dropping TWC. Accuweather is worthless. Fortunately our local NBC affiliate has pre-empted programming to bring us news on what's going on. If I'm able to get out of the neighborhood by Tuesday, I'll be lucky.

Cantore was probably disappointed that he didn't end up coming here to NYC where the real surprise came with way more snow than was predicted by most "models" except the NAM (never heard of them before).  After less than half an inch of snow all winter we suddenly were hit with at least 25 inches in Central Park and real blizzard conditions (I was out briefly to take photos a couple of times, and that wind was bad during the mid-afternoon).  I watched a lot of their coverage, though I switched for awhile to my local CBS station who also had continual weather coverage for Saturday afternoon.

I have to say that I've really taken a liking to Keith Carson.  That guy really brings the snark when he's on (though not in a nasty way).  He's pretty funny.  I guess I've noticed this the most during Weather Underground when he's on.  That show definitely loosens up the meteorologists, Alex Wilson also made a reference to "bad pickup lines" one day.

Why is TWC still naming snowstorms?  No one pays attention to the ridiculous names, and they just need to let it go.

Reminds me of "Mean Girls":  "Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen."

I'm sorry for anyone who has to depend on TWC for weather.  I loved this channel 15 years ago; the other night, when I was looking for storm news, all I got were prospectors. 

• Love 7

Naming snowstorms is RIDICULOUS. We had whoppers of storms when I was a kid, and The Weather Channel never named them then, in the '80s. It reeks of desperation and sensationalism.

I miss the days of TWC with John Hope, the late hurricane guy, and the meteorologists who just told the weather and didn't make things so grandiose.

• Love 1

What really bothers me: the glee when showing devastation--I know they're after the drama and weather is/was their educational choice--but people are dying and property/homes are being destroyed. I'm not talking just about this snow storm(s) but previous weather events also. I find it distasteful and ghoulish. I can only watch for a few minutes to try to get latest information.

• Love 7

What cracks me up and that they are acting like somehow this was it.  No more blizzards in 2016.  They do know winter is only about half done and that we have two months at the end of year that can deliver surprising and yet huge blizzards in the exact same region, don't they?  the hyperbole is ridiculous.  Yep.  Lots of snow.  Its January in the Northeast.  Its called weather.  Considering the dryness and the lack of winter until now, one thing I hate is that the Weather channel acts like it is all horrific.  Another name for snow?  Water.  In the mountains it can sit for weeks and months and trickle down and keep reservoirs filled for the rest of the year.  I hate when they act like water from the sky in any form is a complete waste.   I remember Mike Seidel going into details about drought conditions in my region, followed by an woeful 'oh noes' forecast that might bring us rain over the Labor day weekend. 

Another thing I hate is that this is what will fill the few hours they have left other than their Al Roker produced reality shit, I mean programming. Unless something actually occurring is bigger somehow.   I pretty much stopped using them as an actual source of weather since I was at a hotel near O'Hare watching things swirl in a clockwise motion, the sky turning purple and orange (I kid you not, orange) hail and the weather channel has some show highlighting last week's weather.  With a ticker at the bottom.  Listing the worst storms of the century.  Not a single thing that gave me an idea as to radar and tornado warnings.  Dumbasses. I won't even go into the stupidity of the storm naming. 

And I get that this affects the larger population area, but we have had plenty of blizzards that have swept the entire Rockies, plain states, south and then tracked north affecting a much larger number of people.   Calling the blizzard of 2016 almost begs 'don't listen to us, we dumb as fuck'; like the movie ads that brag how such and such a movie is the best comedy of the year as it plays the first week of January.

• Love 1

Did alpha male Jim Cantore oust Sam Champion from his berth on the morning weather show Sam was hired to do at The Weather Channel? Sam didn't last very long, did he?

I saw somewhere an online article to the effect that Weather Channel lost a ton of money due to Wake Up With Al (which they canceled), and I guess also from paying both Al Roker and Sam Champion, and I think what happened was that they were transitioned out of the channel though Champion pops up on rare occasions as far as I can tell, like the recent blizzard that snowed far more in NYC than expected.  I think both of them are back in NY and not doing much with the channel anymore.  That's as far as I know anyway.

It's a blizzard with thunder-snow. Where's Jim Cantore?

Where is thee OFFICIAL Atlanta Weather Channel ruler?  I mean I've heard from this atlanta-centric network that if there is severe weather anywhere else they will go to downtown atlanta and show you rain and how to COPE with that

I saw somewhere an online article to the effect that Weather Channel lost a ton of money due to Wake Up With Al (which they canceled), and I guess also from paying both Al Roker and Sam Champion, and I think what happened was that they were transitioned out of the channel

Poor Al, he did all that bullshitting on Twitter about how TWC saves peoples' lives when Directv dumped TWC a few months a couple of years ago.

Yes, sorry to learn of Dave Schwartz passing on.

If only Steph could tone it down a bit. Every day the frantic, over-the-top delivery of the conditions, and often, other non-weather-related, mindless "stuff". Maybe she needs a wardrobe intervention --- no more shopping at "Forever 21" !! 

• Love 1

Are they punking some of these newer, to me, guys?

That poor guy on Folly Beach not only bent down and splashed his hands in a puddle of water (twice) but picked up a handful of sticks/debris for a camera display. It was almost like a comedy skit. I have to admit I laughed more than once. Sorry.

They appear to have taken pity on Savannah-guy. But he was hangin' on for dear life. 

At least we have MrHurricaneAndrew to shepherd us through. 

Edited by NewDigs

Keith Carson is back to his old television station in Maine. I wish he would either shave or grow a beard.  His unshaven look is distracting to me. He looks unkempt. Some men can get away with, Keith can't.

I'm actually sorry that TWC let Keith Carson go - he posted that he missed Maine but I wish they'd tried to keep him.  I thought his irreverence was welcome on the station, and he did post online once an opinion that Weather Channel was naming too many winter storms, which I doubt too many more folks at the station would have done.  (No I don't like his 5 o'clock shadow either, but I don't like it on any man.)  Anyway I do follow him online to keep up, maybe Weather Channel will do a remote with him in the winter.

I was watching a lot of the Hurricane Matthew coverage last week and I have to say that Dave Malkoff was doing an excellent job covering the storm in the Bahamas, speaking to the prime minister and police chief and doing a very sad piece with survivors, including a man who rode out the storm in his attic and a woman with a niece and nephew whose home had been destroyed.  I didn't see any coverage of Haiti, I can only imagine how horrible things are for them.

• Love 1

Escape the Election

Clouds, rainbows, autumn splendor and smooth jazz evoke tranquility.

Central Time 3:00 - 11:00 PM Weather (39) Tuesday 11-8-16

I might just watch this--I do have election anxiety.

Edited by SeriousPurrs
  • Love 3

What in the world is going on with the Weather Channel?  Whenever I turn it on, it's one female after another, all as skinny as get out, pageant hair, etc.. the station moving from one area to another, the women changing with each regional change.  I won't get into the nonsense of having Jim Cantore et al standing out in a blizzard or hurricane, getting buffeted around while giving an on-the-site report.

• Love 2

As of yesterday the Weather Channel on my TV has my locality wrong. It scrolls forecast information for an area in upstate Wisconsin rather than the Madison area, where I live. It's still wrong this morning. Is this a WC problem or a problem with my cable provider - does anyone know?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, seasons said:

Also not a fan of the Zicam commercials with Alpha Male Jim Cantore. (Whoever made that name up several pages ago - brilliant.)

I think Cantore  is a drama queen who wants to be seen as an alpha male.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

As of yesterday the Weather Channel on my TV has my locality wrong. It scrolls forecast information for an area in upstate Wisconsin rather than the Madison area, where I live. It's still wrong this morning. Is this a WC problem or a problem with my cable provider - does anyone know?

They did the same thing to us (Illinois) a couple years ago. The town was close to our area and they switched to another much further north. I think it was WC's choice but don't know for sure.

Doesn't help you much--just letting you know, they've done it to others.

It's quite annoying. Another reason they force people to go elsewhere to try to find basic accurate info.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe it's a glitch.   There have been times when I've seen my Weather Channel coverage go to country-wide showing major cities all over, rather than the New York area I live in.

I wish there were better alternatives.  The Weather Nation Roku Channel is still bare bones last time I looked.  When I went to Newfoundland on vacation I enjoyed watching the Canadian Weather Network, a much toned down variation channel (though they are apparently owned by Weather Channel).  Weather Network has a Roku channel also but unfortunately it's the same 10 minute or so feed over and over, and often a day late.  I'd pay a small fee to get a full version of it.

Edited by roseha
(edited)

Update:  Two of the Weather Channel's "Storm Chasers", Kelley Williamson and Randy Yarnall, have died in a car crash apparently while chasing a tornado.

I don't know what to add to this except to say it's tragic, and I hope there will be no more assignments like this.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

So sad to here the news of Kelley & Randy.  A few months ago WC had a special on about them.  They were really nice guys who loved storm chasing.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

polYDK1.gifI don't get it !  August 14th, still summer, temps here in the 90s.... Alexandra Steele on at 9:00, looking like Christmas-Weather-girl-Barbie !!  She is very pretty, and has nice legs, BUT..... the loooong blond ?extensions?, dark green, long sleeve sweater, and thigh-hi red skirt just don't seem appropriate.  She's been there forever, and does a fine job (without all the early morning mayhem). The wardrobe on many of the female meteorologists, I find perplexing.... YMMV.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2017 at 7:44 AM, seasons said:

Stephanie should start with a damn hairbrush. Then there is Jen who looks lovely. 

Goofus and Gallant.

Over a year ago she cut, or chopped it off I think. Hasn't looked good since, in my opinion.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, seasons said:

Where is Stephanie during this hurricane? Did I miss her?

Cricket, I'll have to google some old pics of longer hair.

I don't think I have seen her. Thanks for the like, btw. I forgot I found this forum LOL .. busy with the other two. Been watching TWC nonstop between the eclipse coverage and now Harvey.

I have seen Jen C and Maria LaRosa. Like both of them very much actually. Oh, I see Stephanie is is in Houston now.

Here is a picture of here several years ago when her hair was much fuller looking and styled. I don't care for her more thinned out, choppy, straggled look. Maybe she is going for something "edgy"?

images (6).jpg

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

man I miss this channel the other networks keep interspersing politics and I would rather hear about the storm. FIOS dropped this a few years ago and put in accuweather, it sucks on big stories. 

Same here. CNN was doing okay until Trump did his Friday night news dump. I never watch Accuweather - they suck in general.

• Love 2