Type keyword(s) to search

Re-watch: Stargate The Movie, CotG and Season 1 - We Found the Ring in the Sand

@DittyDotDot  I'm going to have to speed up and try to catch you :)

1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

I also found Politics unnecessarily tedious, but I remember this sort of clip show was common back in the day, so whatcha gonna do?

Ugh.  The annual clip show during the Showtime era.  I think this was a budgetary thing. 

I actually had some appreciation for the later clip shows after they moved to Sci-Fi because they were more of a stepping stone into what eventually became meta episodes.  (Which Supernatural does best but Stargate didi first).  Stargate is the first show I remember where showrunners became aware of the online fandom, and their generally held theories, interests, questions, and weirdness, and then crafted episodes around them. I think that will be fun to see the evolution of on the rewatch.  That and the CGI. 

And, it seems they just didn't have enough story to fill the finale so they filmed all those scenes of the serpent guard marching to and fro while the team members skulked around hiding. Pretty impressive set piece, though. But, oh my, how will they get out of this pickle? ...on to S2 to find out! ;)

My main memory of early finales is an unfortunate and repetitive tendency for them to separate Daniel fro the rest of SG-1 and then have him go missing for long periods of time.  I think I used to rant a lot about it.  And Jack keeps using this tone through season 1 with Daniel and I keep hearing the unspoken "Space Monkey".  But I think that was an early S2 thing.

It's weird to me that this is the one S1 episode I remembered most before re-watching. I had a distinct picture of Jack and his son walking hand and hand and a distinct picture of the crystals trying to mimic Carter.

The scene that stuck in my memory was Daniel telling Sam Jack's past in the locker room.  But I realized after watching that I had merged two episodes in my mind. 

Spoiler

That thing that pinned Jack to a wall was nowhere in this one.

On reflection, it made no sense that the crystal started to talk to them after they shot them with a staff weapon considering they were keeping silent before then because of prior Jaffa/Goa'uld encounters. 

Adding to the 'well that's convenient'.  Good thing that Blue Crystal Jack shared that they don't have physical death.  Otherwise, Teal'c, Sam, and Daniel murdered a sentient being in the Gate room.

Edited by ParadoxLost
46 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

@DittyDotDot  I'm going to have to speed up and try to catch you :)

Ah, don't worry. I was working very hard to avoid my life the last few days. It can't last, though. ;)

47 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Ugh.  The annual clip show during the Showtime era.  I think this was a budgetary thing. 

I actually had some appreciation for the later clip shows after they moved to Sci-Fi because they were more of a stepping stone into what eventually became meta episodes.  (Which Supernatural does best but Stargate didi first).  Stargate is the first show I remember where showrunners became aware of the online fandom, and their generally held theories, interests, questions, and weirdness, and then crafted episodes around them. I think that will be fun to see the evolution of on the rewatch.  That and the CGI. 

Oh, yeah, it was an annual thing, wasn't it? I was more talking generally about TV, though. It seemed like most shows did it at least once a year to save a little money or because they blew their wad on a really big episode. And shows like this, that were tied to the government in some way, tended to send in a politician who was threatening to shut them down. Or questioning whether what they were doing was worthy...yada, yada, yada.

I hadn't really thought about this show being one of the first to do meta--you're right, of course--that's a very interesting thing to think about now. It is interesting looking back at this show now due to all the ways TV watching has changed over the years and how long they managed to ride that changing wave.

56 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

My main memory of early finales is an unfortunate and repetitive tendency for them to separate Daniel fro the rest of SG-1 and then have him go missing for long periods of time.  I think I used to rant a lot about it.  And Jack keeps using this tone through season 1 with Daniel and I keep hearing the unspoken "Space Monkey".  But I think that was an early S2 thing.

Heh! Actually they split them up Carter/Jackson and Teal'c/O'Neill for most of this one. But, 

Spoiler

the S2 premiere has Daniel getting shot and left behind as dead, only to emerge from a sarcophagus later and be just fine. 

Thor’s Hammer

It’s kind of funny that Daniel always stands in briefings to present whatever his new theory is like a professor but mostly because he has no chalkboard. So it comes off a bit like he’s making a pitch on Shark Tank or something. 

This has to the best reaction to them coming through the gate, ever.  The laughing. The pointing.  The pointing and laughing.

So talking to Thor is like talking to those robo telemarketers.

I’m going to have to watch Sam and Daniel interactions more closely.  They just had an entire silent conversation which was basically

Sam: She’s having a conversation with the weather (eye roll)

Daniel: Well don’t say anything.  The weather is convincing her to help us save Jack and Teal’c

This is that episode where they give Daniel hope that he can save Sha’re and then take it away isn’t it?

They got James Earl Jones to do voice work and killed him off in under a minute.  That can’t be right.  Uh, oh.  Glowy eyes.

So I understand why Jack made Daniel be the one to blast the chamber.  For team unity he needs to be the one to make the decision so he doesn’t resent Teal’c and the Carter/Jack for doing it.

I quibble with it being deemed necessary.  They could have had a civil engineer check it out first to see if they could create a secondary entrance without taking the whole chamber down and then rebuild it so the Goa’uld removing device was intact.

Also there were a lot of platitudes at the end trying to justify taking away this world’s protection so Teal’c isn’t subjected to life in prison.  Well the Jaffa/Gua’old don’t know we destroyed the device so they won’t come (Jack).  A lot of carcasses in the cave to make that one not have the ring of truth.  Which the show knows so Sam tells them to seal the cave.

BTW @DittyDotDot I have reached the Torment of Tantalus and Hathor disk.  I may be able to have a dialogue soon.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

Torment of Tantalus

That first scene where Jack and Daniel watch someone go through the Gate in the 40’s is pretty great.

Interesting.  So Daniel has gone off to see Catherine.  Jack is searching records.  They have seemingly circled the wagons to this is movie business. 

But they have taken it to a level of Daniel leaving base with no explanation and Jack lying not volunteering anything to Hammond about Daniel’s probable whereabouts when he is concerned that he’s missing.  Very reminiscent of Jack and Daniel agreeing about not mentioning where the nuke was when it exploded because of a distrust of what the military hierarchy would do with the information.  In this case, fear of them doing nothing.

The reaming of Daniel Jackson was interesting from the aspect of what it means to have a civilian on SG-1.  Hammond starts with having apoplexy and then calms as more military people join the conversation. 

Jack and Daniel have a pretty fun dynamic.  Jack is clearly making use of the fact that Daniel is a civilian to do the things he’s taken an oath not to do or recommend even though he really wants to.  Daniel and Jack are totally sympatico on this one. Overall, Jack, Daniel, and Catherine have a really fun chemistry as they play on their shared movie history which I’m a sucker for.

This one did really set up the shows mythology that there were greater races out there and the Goa’uld were just scavengers or bullies on the playground.

Nice character development for Daniel to show much he wants to gain knowledge of the universe and how hard it is for him to let that go but that ultimately he can for the team.

Kudos to the show for showing the restraint to not make an overt MacGyver reference while making a mini MacGyver episode with the lack of the DHD.

Edited by ParadoxLost
there were really a lot of reallys. Really .
  • Love 1

Bloodlines

Never been a fan of the Teal’c has a family episodes.  Bra’tac was the only redeeming quality of any of those as far as I was concerned.  Not liking it much better this time around.  Oh, the melodrama.

Didn’t realize that Alison from Eureka was Teal’c’s (those apostrophes are just wrong) wife.  But all I can hear is Elisa from Gargoyles.  I loved Gargoyles as a kid.  I’ve never made that connection before. 

Chekov’s thermos of Goa’uld larvae.  Conveniently there to may make sure Teal’c doesn’t need to pay the ultimate price for his sacrifice.

• Love 1

Fire and Water

Ever click onto the episode intro screen of the DVD and think I should probably remember the giant blue amphibian dude with dangly things on his face?  Well I did.  And I don’t.

Where’s Daniel?  Oh, I remember this one now.  It’s the first time they think Daniel is dead and is not really dead.  And so the “Oh my God they killed Kenny. You bastards” of the Stargate TV saga begins.

Daniel’s funeral is so weird on so many levels.

I always thought they didn’t spread around the deaths/presumed deaths as some kind of an acknowledgement that Daniel was a fan favorite or something. 

As I watch his funeral (did they ever televise another one?) I can’t help but think that his lack of family and the previous death from the movie (he probably didn’t go around digging up old acquaintances to explain it wasn’t really true) probably just made it easier to kill and resurrect Daniel.  Less having to go back and explain they were mistaken about his death a half dozen times or more.

So in movies, they usually give the flag to the widow or Mother.  So I’m watching and as they give it to Jack I’m thinking that it’s the right choice since he’s the leader of the team.  Then Jack turns and ceremoniously gives it to Teal’c and I lose it (laughing).  I guess it’s because he’s a civilian and Sam and Jack have more military stuff to do.

Also, they got Teal'c a dark blue suit so he didn't stick out in the scene of everyone in dress blues.

And nice job, worm hole.  Recognizing that we are grieving a fallen man here and gently floating the flower arrangement into the Stargate.

I remember just eating up this episode the first time around.  Swapping stories about Daniel at the wake and while cleaning out his apartment.  Jack beating the shit out of his car.  All the general angst over Daniel's death and fretting over whether they abandoned him.

On a shallow note, the show should have had the team wet more often.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

The fanon on the Deaths of Doctor Jackson can be hilarious.  I think my favorite is a rule about how Daniel Jackson cannot be declared dead until after an autopsy is performed.  Sometimes, anyways.

And as far as I can remember, this is the only funeral for Dr. Jackson.  That's ok, though, as I'm pretty sure Tom Sawyer only ever got one, and he at least got to attend it.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I quibble with it being deemed necessary.  They could have had a civil engineer check it out first to see if they could create a secondary entrance without taking the whole chamber down and then rebuild it so the Goa’uld removing device was intact.

I quibble with it being necessary too now that Unas was dead, what was the urgency exactly? Couldn't take five minutes and study the damn thing to see if there was another possibility? And, personally, my issue is more that they could use a little backpacker training and try to leave no trace...so to speak. I agree with your assessment of why it needed to be Daniel who did the deed, though. 

17 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I always thought they didn’t spread around the deaths/presumed deaths as some kind of an acknowledgement that Daniel was a fan favorite or something. 

I figured they did it because they didn't always know what to do with the archaeologist on the team when the shit hit the fan. I mean, they needed him to give them information, but he wasn't a soldier and usually either stood by and watched the fighting or was killed in the fighting as a way to give him something not to do. Okay, that's not entirely true, but why I figure Daniel got separated from the group a lot of the time when the action started to kick up. At least,

Spoiler

early on before Daniel became Mr. Kickass anyway.

I can't wait till you get to the Hathor stuff... ;)

On 10/9/2016 at 2:15 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Never been a fan of the Teal’c has a family episodes.  Bra’tac was the only redeeming quality of any of those as far as I was concerned.  Not liking it much better this time around.  Oh, the melodrama.

I forgot this morning, I had some unkind words to say about Teal'c and family. Good God, could he be any more of a boar?! He abandons them, but then shows up out of the blue and expects them to still be right where he left them? You'd think he'd be grateful they had survived what he'd done, but no, oh no, he instead berates his wife for trying to pick them up out of the muck he left them in. And then just leaves them there again! Out of sight, out of mind, I guess? Ugh!

And, as I recall,

Spoiler

it just gets worse in S2.

So not looking forward to that.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:56 PM, DittyDotDot said:

I forgot this morning, I had some unkind words to say about Teal'c and family. Good God, could he be any more of a boar?! He abandons them, but then shows up out of the blue and expects them to still be right where he left them? You'd think he'd be grateful they had survived what he'd done, but no, oh no, he instead berates his wife for trying to pick them up out of the muck he left them in. And then just leaves them there again! Out of sight, out of mind, I guess? Ugh!

I think that Teal'c, and to a lesser degree Carter, really suffered in the earlier seasons from the 'getting to know' the characters phase.  There seems to be a lot more character centric episodes than I remember later on where someone is the focus or the theme focuses on a character.

Daniel and Jack have a huge leg up because they have the movie backstory and sympathetic motivations from the pilot/ep1 (Sha're and Skaara and Kawalsky's death) and if you look at the episodes that thematically belonged to them they either had sympathetic backstory or overcame some emotional barrier in most of them (Cold Lazarus, Torment of Tantalus, and Thor's Hammer).  Heck they weren't halfway through the first season ad were already ready to spend an entire episode mourning Daniel.

What does Carter have?  The Mongolian episode, which could have been good for her character if the episode weren't so stupid.  She didn't have the character history or pre-show fanbase like RDA/Jack to carry stupid (Brief Candle) without killing any momentum the character might have had.  Then she gets a personal history episode where the episode would have literally been no different if Jonas hadn't been her ex-fiancée.

Teal'c gets an abandoned family.  I think a lot of this is because how else do you make an entire episode about his backstory.  I can't really think of one either.  The only other choice is something they did later

Spoiler

getting an offbase apartment/life

but its too early for that although

Spoiler

The Vagina Monologues had come out by then:)

But then it starts suffering from plotitis.  He waits until his son's birthday because...  He doesn't take them back to Earth because.... And that just makes Teal'c unsympathetic.

This brings me to The Nox

So if Teal'c is so concerned about freeing his people that he abandoned his family then why is he content to bebop around to random goofball planets that Carter's machine spits out and only brings up these planets with advanced technology when the program is threatened by the government?

So the Stargate disappears and Apophis is on the planet.  And I'm starting to notice a trend of everyone looking at Daniel like he's a bloodthirsty crazy person.  Twice in this episode (plan to ambush Apophis-the gung ho and not to kill Shackle - it was the disappointed tone) and once in Bloodlines (Carter took his gun away for larvicide).

Ambushing Apophis is a total failure and Jack is dead and Carter is dead and this is Daniel death # 3.  Hold on a minute....  I just went to imdb to see what percentage of episodes Daniel has been dead in so far and all these episodes are out of order.  Argh.  Death #2.

There is something very weird about how SG-1 wakes the dead/unconscious.  Daniel taps Sam's lips and then pets her healed wound.  Then Carter, following Daniel's lead, pets Jack's healed wound.  The petting.  Its weird.

And poor Teal'c, for a minute there, he must have thought he'd encountered the first advanced race to see the good in him and not reject him because of junior.  But alas, they are indiscriminate in their rescuing from death and danger and took one of the bad guys to heal too.

Enter the Nox, who I can only describe as Miracle Max and Valerie from the Princess Bride crossed with the Fae if the forest were pink.

And then we spend half the episode learning that the very young do not listen and pick up on the fact that since the Nox healed the dead a half dozen times, learned English after listening a while, and have the power of invisibility that maybe they are capable of taking care of themselves without your help. So far SG-1 has gone to two planets with advanced technology and left them a little less safe than when the got there.  Nox gate getting buried.

Oh, and Jack.  Be thankful that the Nox stopped you from killing Apophis.  Do you know what would have happened to this show if you managed to kill a Goa'uld with a bow and arrow halfway through season 1.  Very bad things. 

Spoiler

Ori

type things.

I can't wait till you get to the Hathor stuff... ;)

Hathor is next.  The pressure.  What if I think its emmy worthy and have nothing to snark on;)

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Teal'c gets an abandoned family.  I think a lot of this is because how else do you make an entire episode about his backstory.  I can't really think of one either.

I think it could've been an interesting storyline but for the out-of-sight-out-of-mind. I get it, Teal'c is from a different culture and I do try to remember the show is a product of it's time. TV just wasn't interested in dealing with long-term consequences like this. Everything had to basically be reset by the end of the episode. It just really jumped out at me this go around.

Hathor

Damn, Hathor has the best manicure on an alien from an ancient civilization who has been resting in a sarcophagus for a few thousand years that I’ve ever seen.  And such a bad wig.

Ah, mystery solved.  I’d forgotten whether they reminded viewers of the resurrection capability of the sarcophagus before getting all kill happy with Daniel (this being relative since he’s died three times already) because they had the technology to bring him back.  And he’s not officially deceased since researchers can find him.  Good to know.

Was the sarcophagus always that big because Paul Bunyan could fit in that thing?  Well, that is a surprise.  Hathor isn’t napping.  She walked up to Cheyenne Mountain.  At some point someone is going to explain that to me right?  That could be its own episode.  Ancient Goa’uld dropped in modern day North America and figures out trains, planes, and automobiles and border crossings.

Wait a minute, Hathor walks in, says she is an Egyptian Goddess and Daniel, Jack and Hammond are fine and dandy uncuffing her.  And then the pink breath mind control starts.  Carter needs to kick their asses for underestimating women while not under the influence of the Goddess of Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll.

This is not goofy in a fun way so far.  They are using a crap ton of words to explain the mother of all larvae thing.  And Daniel mooning is starting to grate on my nerves.

“the code of life from the juices of the species”  Well, I can’t unhear that now can I?  Except I didn’t remember the exact explanation of why they needed Daniel to father the Goa’uld larve so maybe in another twenty years I’ll forget.

Just great.  Daniel the catatonic rape victim.

Crap, for a second there I thought we had a reprieve and there was no actual juices of the species exchange, but no that’s the method to make Jack a Jaffa.

And now the five women on base are going to seduce their way out of lock up. 

I’m having a serious case of second hand embarrassment with the show right now.

And Hathor rises from the water perfectly dry. 

And they forgot that a couple episodes that larvae could be too young to implant.  And Jack rises from the water wet because they remembered the lesson from Fire and Water (more wet SG-1 team members); but then they forgot the lesson by having Janet dig around in Jack’s gut bare handed for larvae.  I think even Teal’c threw up in his mouth when Janet’s yellow mucus/bile covered hand made that gloop sound coming out of Jack’s gut.

Hathor escapes, so I guess we aren’t done with her yet.

So this is twice this season where a man is drugged into sex and it’s just shrugged off.

I remember this one being goofier than it turned out to be. It was mostly just bad.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I’m having a serious case of second hand embarrassment with the show right now.

Heh, I knew you would a at least a few words to say about this one. It's really, really goofy and just wrong on so many levels! My laugh out loud moment was when Carter told the women that taking out the men should be easy because they were all "loopy," but then they end up getting captured and then get loose again only to basically be captured again. It's all just too much.

As to the sarcophagus, I didn't have a clear memory of the thing, but I too thought it was unnecessarily large--as though it was made for a giant or something--and how it opens and closes seems really slow and awkward. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
Just now, DittyDotDot said:

Heh, I knew you would a at least a few words to say about this one. It's really, really goofy and just wrong on so many levels! My laugh out loud moment was when Carter told the women that taking out the men should be easy because they were all "loopy", but then they end up getting captured and then get loose again. It's all just too much.

It had the feel of some of the badly written powerful women episodes.  You kind of know they have good intentions but the are just so bad at it.  While they were captured Sam and Janet were literally talking about how hard it was to fit in with all the guys and that leads to Janet having the genius idea to seduce their way out of the cell.  I get the idea, but really don't talk about it to get the point across.  It just makes them look like idiots because not the time to talk about how few women there are on base while roaming the halls with guns.

And then their seduction is basically take of jackets and stand in a come hither manner with hands on hips.  But Janet was making out with her guy.  Sam just clocker hers.  Actually Janet is the one, probably the only one, that shined in this episode.

Oh, I laughed a couple times are the gratuitous RDA without shirt scenes.

At the moment I'm staring at the menu screen of Cor-Ai and Daniel is starting through some kind of cell/window in a forlorn way and he kind of looks like he's twelve and an orphan.  I have no idea what its about but I guess I better watch it.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

And then their seduction is basically take of jackets and stand in a come hither manner with hands on hips.  But Janet was making out with her guy.  Sam just clocker hers.  Actually Janet is the one, probably the only one, that shined in this episode.

That's very true. 

6 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

At the moment I'm staring at the menu screen of Cor-Ai and Daniel is starting through some kind of cell/window in a forlorn way and he kind of looks like he's twelve and an orphan.  I have no idea what its about but I guess I better watch it.

It's the episode where Teal'c is recognized as a Jaffa and the local population puts him on trial. It's one of those I feel like they're nattering at the local population more than I'd like. It does have some funny O'Neill stuff though.

Cor-Ai

You know what is more distracting than no one noticing that everyone is speaking English on these planets?  When Daniel says “Hmm, that’s weird their language has a root of both Greek and Latin” and then doesn’t mention how weird it is that they are speaking modern English.

Making Jack a co-counsel was a good idea.  Just for the sheer amusement of watching him explain jurisprudence and the peanut gallery gasping in shock at his crazy notions.

Its distracting how much Tealc’s accuser looks like Jimmy Fallon only with the crazy eyes and less acting ability if that’s possible.

Objectively I realize that these episodes where Teal’c confronts his past are necessary given that he was in service to Apophis.  But I have yet to see one I’ve liked.  Stoic plus guilty Teal’c grates on me.

• Love 1

Singularity

Oooh, SG-7 got name checked.  They are totally dead.  Did anyone ever do mortality statistics on SG teams? Yep.  Confirmed.  Dead.  All of them.

Considering history, it’s kind of odd that the show up on the planet and a few months later a thousand die and neither Daniel of Janet he raise the idea that maybe they introduced a disease that these inhabitants had no resistance to.  I know that won’t be the cause; and it’s a can of worms that would kind of be a problem for show longevity.  Still it’s kind of an obvious hypothesis to not consider.

Janet, you are kind of slow, but still my hero.  She brought it up.

So Jack knows so much about astronomy that he shocks Daniel in the beginning of the episode but later in the episode he can’t string two coherent words together to explain a black hole to Teal’c.  It’s like they forgot for one scene that they decided one of Jack’s character traits is supposed to be that science makes his brain hurt.  I like it better when they hint that Jack is just playing dumb for some reason.

I think this is the first episode where the team has group leisure time at the end of the episode.  Those were always a nice treat.  And one for all and all for one in a nuclear explosion scenario.

• Love 1

So I'm resuming rewatch after four months during which @DittyDotDot got through 9 seasons.  I'm such a slacker.

Enigma

I can't decide whether I watched this one before I abandoned my rewatch and never posted or just remember it.  Maybe its why I stopped.  Hmmm.  Its one of the Earthlings are too stupid to be in our presence episodes.

I'm not a volcanologist. Damn it, Sam was that a deliberate Star Trek reference?

The ever so helpful  Don't....Help us.  Are they afraid and want help or want to suffocate to death before being consumed by lava? I do not care because of the condescending "primitive".

Narim reminds me of Mork from Ork.  Its the outfit.  Its like they took the suspender Earth outfit and his alien out fit and merged them together and painted it silver.  And apparently because they need to appear alien, they require significantly advanced technology that keeps their clothes permanently clean despite volcanic eruption.

The Tolan are mocking my avatar.  Not cool. 

I remember when I was younger thinking that Narim and Sam would be something that they would keep coming back to through the series and was surprised that they only brought him back a couple of times.

Daniel just broke up their kiss and I had a sense of deja vu.  Was that something that happened a lot?  Daniel barreling into intimate moments.

The Nox are another race I expected to have a bigger role as SG-1 got older and they never were very significant.  I can't remember if we ever saw them again.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

The Nox are another race I expected to have a bigger role as SG-1 got older and they never were very significant.  I can't remember if we ever saw them again.

There was like one episode on the Nox planet and then I swear one occasionally showed up to play judge for some absurd trials. (Like if the Scara had a bigger claim on his body than the Gould using it)  I'd missed the original episode until the series was nearly over so I was always confused by the hippie dippy tree lady.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

There was like one episode on the Nox planet and then I swear one occasionally showed up to play judge for some absurd trials. (Like if the Scara had a bigger claim on his body than the Gould using it)  I'd missed the original episode until the series was nearly over so I was always confused by the hippie dippy tree lady.  

Yes! And, the Nox were mentioned quite a bit here and there, but I don't think we saw them again after Scara's trial. I too was surprised they didn't play a bigger role in the show especially after we got to know the Asgard more. 

• Love 1

Yes! And, the Nox were mentioned quite a bit here and there, but I don't think we saw them again after Scara's trial. I too was surprised they didn't play a bigger role in the show especially after we got to know the Asgard more. 

I'm trying to remember which season it was where that they joked that the fourth race from Tantalus were probably just walking, talking koala bears.

I've always felt there was a grander story planned for the four races and then they decided to streamline it to the Ancients and the Asgard.

I think that the Nox probably became a problem because they couldn't reconcile how to work them into a fight against the Goa'ild given their peace loving nature and couldn't justify them staying out of it long term if they were consistently interacting with SG-1.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm trying to remember which season it was where that they joked that the fourth race from Tantalus were probably just walking, talking koala bears.

Heh, I totally didn't have a clue what you were talking about until about an hour ago...BWAHAHAHAH!!

BTW,

Spoiler

it's S10, the 200th episode.

Wow. After all these years and quite a few re-watches, I only now realized that Apophis and gang couldn't have dialed the Stargate to leave after they kidnapped that soldier in Children of the Gods. There was no dialing device and the one they had made was not turned on at the time.

Head.....meet desk

• Love 1

Apophis (or maybe it was Teal'c) had some kind of hand-held orb - it opened the gate without a whoosh, and I think gets cut from the syndicated version.  Old Cassandra in the season 2 episode 1969 activates the gate (sans whoosh again, as I recall) with a bracelet.  I can't remember if portable DHDs are canon, but they were certainly common in fanfic.

Thank you @kassygreene. I did not realize that one either.

One would think they would be more common though. I guess they were abandoned for dramatic purposes. It's just visually more dramatic with the big ole dialing mushroom with the enormous keys and the big red button. In my head canon, the ancients built this big in order for the things to last.

Since the recent 20th anniversary and being stuck at home with illness I've been doing a SG-1 binge re-watch.

CoTG does a pretty good job of setting up the series, handwaving all of the things from the movie it needed to handwave, RDA making the character his own from day dot while Michael Shanks is doing his best James Spader impression to bridge the gap, while setting up the mythology of the series.  And jeez, I'm sure they thought they were trying their best to introduce Sam as a strong character but the reproductive organs and play with dolls lines are even more cringeworthy on rewatch than they were the first time - it wasn't a complete fail though, the line about have you ever pulled a g-force or whatever from Kawalski trying to pysch her out and Sam just deadpans "yes" was a pretty great exchange.  Amanda Tapping makes the most of some terrible material.  Christopher Judge isn't given much to do, but sells switching sides pretty effectively.

The nudity is a tone shift from everything that came after, and while it never offended me and it certainly underscored the brutality of the goa'uld in the way they see humans, it wasn't necessary.  I was more creeped out by the actual implantation, the practical effect of the snake was so much more effective than the CGI they used later, and the long, lingering shots of it slithering over Sha're were so gross and frightening.  

Like any new show the first season is bumpy - from great episodes like The Enemy Within, Thor's Hammer, Torment of Tantalus, Cor-ai, Singularity, and There But For the Grace of God, there are real clunkers like Emancipation, Brief Candle, and Hathor.  But on the whole I think the season was pretty strong and there were more good episodes than bad and there was some great character work. 

From episode 5 we get right into Sam's awful love interests - I guess they hadn't really figured Sam out yet because there's no way later Carter would have ever given Jonas the time of day, even taking into account her terrible taste in men.  Then we get Narim who isn't as bad but isn't good either, the actor's choice of weird affect makes Narim seem like a bit of a creeper, although the cat and "we have that custom too" are quite sweet.

And so begins the grand SG-1 tradition of dropped plot threads:

• The alien Daniel helps in Fire and Water, never mentioned again
  • The wonder drug from Emancipation, which no one ever thinks to bring up when they need to prove the benefits of the Stagate program
  • No fallout from Sarah seeing an alien in the form of her dead son, and no follow up on the Jack/Sarah relationship
  • Not dropped but just idiotic - why didn't Teal'c take his family back with him?  Would have saved a lot of trouble later.
Edited by LadyAmalthea
  • Love 2

So I'm going to try resuming my rewatch and see how long it lasts this time.

I read back through my posts to figure out where I stopped and now realize that I make very little sense, even to myself.  Sorry about that. But I'm unlikely to change.

Watching Tin Man now.  And I think this is at least my third time watching it so the fact that its a generally a pretty good episode is probably what is killing my momentum.  But wait...

Carter just asked how they got into those clothes. I think I'll ruminate for a while about how they got into those clothes.  Hey, when does Daniel get his haircut?

OK, Jack cutting his arm open like in Terminator just bounced me out of my superficial musings.  There is something really gross about milky white ooze.

Harlan really reminds me of the character Dom DeLuise plays later in the series  But he did a really great job of portraying what its like to live forever and have everyone else not being able to handle it or die and be left completely alone.

Teal'c is really overdoing grumpy, growly, angry face it his attempt to foreshadow that he and the larvae have merged.

Daniel's reaction to being strong enough to remove a metal plate was funny.  Did you see that?.  While Jack was like, I'm going to try the super hero jump and then do subtle hair flip and move on to the next feat of strength,

This end of this one from when the original SG-1 is woken up has to be one of the better endings of a show in the series.  A nice balance of humor and pathos.  In a season still finding its feet with a lot of clunky dialogue and acting, I have to say RDA's best acting partner to date is RDA.

Oh, and a closing note for anyone interested.  The robots are generated with no clothes on.  So presumably Harlan dressed them.

And now Solitudes

Better known as the Jack and Sam get bounced to Antartica and Sam is once again forced to deliver MacGyver references so awful that its among the few things I recall 20 years later.

Wow.  I just witnessed the most bizarre hospital scene in the history of television.  Its when Daniel wakes up and is told Jack and Sam didn’t come through the Gate.  Daniel has this bizarre mix of groggy and most emotive eyebrows in the history of eyebrows going on.  And now I’m focusing on eyebrows.

This wasn’t a bad episode.  But it did get a little repetitive and drawn out.  Daniel thinking hard and brooding.  There was an actual brooding montage.  Sam trying to dial out.  Jack bleeding out.  Some nice moments overall but it dragged a little through sheer repetitiveness.

• Love 1