Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: The Cuts Begin

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

If there is a cut tonight, I'm guessing it's Colby.

According to Twitter,  AAIA director /choreographer Stephanie Di Biase-Wheat will be on tonight.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 2

Oh cool, I liked her last year.

I like KaShara so I hope it's not her. I'm betting on either Colby because Kelli already was talking how she could cut her last week.

Or Shelbi because she just looks so darn lost. Which is sad because I like her.

• Love 1

I think it'll either be Emily Madeline or Colby..

They're all looking like they are in trouble at the 20 minute mark here. :/

Even though I know not everyone likes her, I must say Melissa R. has grown on me quite a bit.  I like that the girls get some feedback that isn't so harsh but is still realistic.

Also interesting to see a Jay segment seems to be coming up.  Haven't seen that in years.

Edited by Aegolius
  • Love 5

Meh. I don't like Melissa R. I would rather see one of the vets that's already there mentor.

That would be a great chance to get to see the older girls that are already there more.There are a few that we only get glimpses of and I am curious about them. It would also be a good chance to catch up with vets who were featured in their seasons but haven't had much airtime after their rookie season.

Plus, it seemed last season like she gave extra attention to the girls she personally liked. I would have liked to have seen her be more neutral.

I'm not trying to be catty but I think Colby is at least 35. Lots of women shave a few years off their age when they think they are getting "old". And especially if they think they can get away with it. There are lots of women who are actually n their late 30's but can get away with saying they are several years younger.

Poor Colby is NOT one of these women. She is at least 35. Maybe she has been taking a few years off her age for so long that she truly believes she is only 31.

• Love 3

Sure I'd prefer to see vets be mentors, and they would no doubt be better with style/dance, but they are busy and working their tails off. ;)

Melissa is actually a good remedy to come in and help out those that are having problems with the transition.  Yes, I agree, she played favorites last year, but she seemed much more reasonable in the early part of this episode and season, which is why I said she was growing on me.

Edited by Aegolius
  • Love 4

Ah, That poor shy girl, Emily. She really suffered from lack of confidence. I could see her neck was splotchy while talking to k&j. looks like hives. I used to do that when I met my now husband, I was so nervous! She sounded the most confident after she had been cut.

Edited by mardo4
  • Love 6

Colby I saw coming, Emily I didn't but it's not surprising given what we saw tonight. I was so sad for her though because she looked so upset.

Two cuts on the first cut night was definitely NOT what I was expecting.

Good show though I even liked Jay which is unusual.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 4

is it me or did they rush through a ton of things in one episode? Uniforms, guest choreographer, boot camp Jay, AND cuts!? I think I need to do some cardio just to keep up with this episode. I'm not certain I enjoy the new pace of things.

• Love 4

I agree about Colby being at least 35 - she came off as a very nice person again tonight though and I was actually hoping they'd let her do the dances for them and maybe give her another shot. Perhaps a makeover could have helped her some - maybe they could of de-botoxed her or something.

This was a night to make all of us w/ a little meat on our bones feel better about ourselves ;) - two girls cut for being too thin, 5 pounds takes away 5 years (I think that makes me a pre-teen ;)), and what did she say - a 5'9" girl should weigh 136? That's like a size 4 or 6. Not that a 4 or a 6 is big, but it's certainly not model thin.

Speaking of Botox, that lady who came in to teach the combo had a lot. She even looked botoxed up in those shots of her on the Mavericks dance team. Her combo was good though and its good they bring outside people in to do that.

Im already looking forward to the makeovers next week.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 1

Is Kelli trying to convince herself or the viewers about Melissa being a mentor because she keeps reminding everyone about Melissa winning Dancing With the Stars. Kelli was being a little tacky asking a girl if her breasts were real. I hate to tell Jay, but the way the girls were doing the push ups and sit ups would not pass Army standards. No mention of the assistant group leaders. Elizabeth looks like four year vet Jessica.

Oddly enough, Kelli never mentions that Melissa was on the Bachorlette. Perhaps, it doesn't fit DCC high standards. <sarcasm>. The weight issue of being too skinny & too "fat" crack me up. Has anyone ever told Kelli she is setting a bad example of being fat and wearing dresses that are way too young for her. I really don't need to see Kelli's fat legs in her high slit dress as she is walking to leave for the night. Yes, please turn out the lights, Kelli.

• Love 4

This is a tougher Kelli than I've seen since I've started watching in Season 6. She is not letting them talk her into another night, she is pulling no punches in her goodbye, last night evaluations. I had noticed she was more warm and nurturing in the past few seasons. She is tough as nails this season. Kitty may pale in comparison next week.

I do feel badly that Colby was expecting to show the practiced routines and instead only had Stephanie's new routine to do. However, she was clearly not a match for this squad.

I'm liking Taylor more than I thought I would.

• Love 4

Kelli seemed to feel bad about cutting Emily  but not Colby. I wonder if either will audition again next year. Will be interesting to see if the ones who get cut (not naming anyone) will audition again next year and possibly make it  back to TC.

When Shelbi mentioned quitting her job, Kelli seemed surprised. She didn't get no possible job offer like Courtney did last year. Do the girls HAVE to hold down a job or be a student? Is it a set rule? 

I looked at Shelbi's Twitter.  I think she's either married or has a long term boyfriend. I don't think she's hurting for money since she mentioned moving into a new house. I think they tend to play up the girl's sob stories.

• Love 1

I actually really liked that episode. Lots went on!  Good lord those ladies were a hot mess on the practice field.  I can't remember ever seeing the TCCs being so ill-prepared for the kick line.  Perhaps someone else can think of a season?  It was a nice segue into a long unseen Jay segment.  I thought we saw too much of Jay in early years, but I didn't want to NEVER see him since the girls' stamina IS important.  CMT seems unable to find the Jay sweet spot! This amount was pretty perfect.  It was nice to see Holly win since it does look like she has a little baby fat on her as opposed to being her actually being out of shape.  

I also found it nice to hear Kelli saying that there was such a thing as too thin for DCC.  For the most part I think the DCC squad has lovely toned (yet soft) figures.  I think the bigger problem for girls is when they don't have long legs.  Not because of kicks (though that can be a problem) but more because those white shorts and the white boots just make some one who is short and curvy look stocky. On the too skinny front - yes, both of those women just didn't look good in the uniform.  I didn't mind Kelli asking about whether Courtney's boobs were real or bought since we've seen her ask that before many times (i.e. Loren last year (bought!))  I was amused by all the girls expressing horror at the rolling and rolling and rolling :D

That looked like one hard dance they learned last night but ultimately I think the cuts were good ones.  Colby because she looked all of her thirty-whatever years next to those 18 year olds and Emily because she clearly did not have the personality for the squad.

• Love 3

Emily seemed like a nice girl, especially based on her post-cut interview where she seemed pretty positive, but she was just way too shy to be a pro cheerleader. It wasn't just her timid dancing either. You could see in her body language how she lacks confidence and tries to make herself as small and unnoticeable as possible. In one shot she was standing or walking and she had her shoulders hunched forward like a shy middle school girl. Kelli's comment about her whispery voice was another good point. The volume and tone of her voice changed to a much softer/meeker tone whenever she was around Kelli. I wish K/J had offered Emily a tissue. How can you sit there and watch someone crying and wiping her face and not offer her a tissue?

There was a lot going on in this episode, but I am glad. I'd much rather have rehearsals, uniform fittings, Jay, a new routine, and cuts all in one episode than one of those weeks where they repeat the same stuff over and over yet still don't have enough for 40 minutes of actual content. And I'd much rather have all those activities than those fake ass scenes where the girls are getting coffee and talking about how stressed they are.

I was surprised that we didn't see Kelli putting more people on her shit list during uniform fittings. And even more surprising that the only two people we saw her really saying didn't look good in the uniform were too thin. Usually we hear her say that some of the girls are too short or their hips don't look right so it seemed really odd that the only criticism we heard this year were about two girls who she deemed too thin. When she said that their uniform is about 3 yards of fabric, I thought well, most of that fabric is in the sleeves. Without the sleeves, the uniform is about a yard and a half of fabric.

I did not love the early seasons when we had way too much Jay but I am totally fine with a short segment of him with the rookies. Hee and I loved that Kat did 95 pushups in two minutes - that's her gymnastics background. I always laugh whenever people talk about their hardcore workouts because my my sister was a gymnast and just her warmups alone would kill most adults. 100 pushups (real pushups, not girl pushups on their knees), 200 situps, and 100 v ups were standard at the beginning of every practice. Then they would do things like hang from a bar and have to pull their legs up to tap the bar with their toes. For warmups, not for their actual workout. With that kind of background, it's no surprise to me that Kat was kicking ass at pushups.

Anyway, I agree that a lot of the sit ups and pushups we saw were cheater versions. It's not a real pushup if you only bend your elbows like two degrees before you straighten back up. I remember when Jay used to have the other girls put a fist on the ground and the girls doing the pushups had to touch the fist with their chest in order for it to count.

I totally laughed when Judy said that they hire outside choreographers so that their routines don't get stale. Seriously? How can she say that with a straight face when 40 out of 50 of their dances look exactly the same?

Not surprised that Colby was cut. It was obvious from the beginning that Kelli didn't like her so I'm kind of surprised she lasted all of two weeks in training camp. Although I agree that she wasn't right for the team, I liked that she came to Kelli's office prepared and offered to dance for them. It showed she had some awareness and that she made the effort to come up with something to try to convince Kelli to let her stay (as opposed to just slinking off with her tail between her legs).

• Love 5

Apparently nobody ever told Taylor that the way to gain flexibility is to STRETCH. Weight training is all very well for increasing flexibility in, say, normal human beings, but for doing superstar splits and kicks, you have to stretch. And stretch. And stretch. 

Edited by JanetLand

I was thinking that she looked like she had been weight training.  To me she looked a little bulkier than the other girls, not as willowy as the dancers looked.  I know that weight training doesn't necessarily make you bulky but she did look that way.  YMMV!

And yes - I have never danced and even I know that if you want to improve your flexibility, you stretch for hours, days and weeks on end :)

• Love 1

My hope is that they are speeding some of these episodes on to make room for a few at the end where they maybe feature more of Meet the Team, catching up with retired cheerleaders, and heck, even the swimsuit shoot (though not sure how they’ll do that since it had three girls who ended up getting cut?). 

From the preview for next week, I am sad that Holly is going to get called out for weight.  A lot of people here have been saying she still has baby fat (and I think someone even mentioned they were worried she’d have weight issues from just looking at her IG back around auditions) and I sort of agree, except she still looked great at the uniform fittings! She must be the new Brooke Sorenson…amazing dancer and performer who they just adore but struggle to accept the figure.  I also hope Megan C doesn’t end up having problems.  She is thin now for sure but looking at her IG from a year or two ago, she wasn’t always and I think her genetics will work against her down the road.  I just love her though and she’s clearly their favorite so fingers crossed she really stays on track. 

Poor little Emily Hatch.  Like others said, her body language alone screams TIMID.  I really think she just needs to perform a lot this year and build up her confidence.  I’d love to see her come back because I think she was one of the prettiest girls there and seems genuinely sweet.  But who knows, she also looks like a naturally teeny person and may never get her figure to where they’d like. 

I have really nothing else to add on Colby that hasn’t been said.   She definitely grew on me as time went on and I can see why she truly seems to have a million friends (you can see on social media that the other girls just love her) but I think her time just passed to be a DCC.  Good for her for keeping her composure and working really hard though. 

Loved the segment with Jay and his wife!! I liked that they had it more lowkey, like in a gym instead of out on a field.  It sounds like they got rid of power squad though? that was always such a HUGE deal.  I assumed that they still did it, just didn’t show it on TV. Guess not!  Props to Holly and Courtney for killing it.  Sub 7 minute mile was not bad at all!

Also was glad we got to see group leaders announced. Too bad they didn’t do seconds too but at least they did it at all!  Really, REALLY hope they show some of the SG auditions!!

Love Stephanie from Ice Angels.  She always seems to have good choreography and just seems like a cool, fun person.  I liked that they showed her previewing it to Judy and Kelly and getting their feedback on how to tweak.  I always wondered if their visiting instructors just came the night of like sup, here’s what we’re doing and K&J are going ewwww what is this?  LOL  I should have known they have to OK anything coming in!

I can see why they really like Taylor.  Even with terrible kicks her performance is always on point.  She catches my eye everytime she dances because she just looks like she’s loving it and has so much energy.  I feel her on the flexibility.  I danced for years growing up and even with stretching it was hard for me.  I have shorter legs and shorter hamstrings…they just tend to want to bunch up LOL  But I also never tried out for a world class cheerleading squad where that was required.  She’s been working with Michelle Keys like ALL year, didn’t Michelle ever say like, hey girl, you’ve GOT to get your flexibility ASAP. ??

Madeline has got to be one of the next cuts.  I like her and think she’s a cute dancer but she does not have the DCC style or look and I just don’t see her getting it.  BUT makeovers are next week so maybe we will see a miracle with her hair and make up!   Curious to see why Kelli makes Clare lay on the floor at the salon LOL 

There are still several girls who I have NO idea who they are.

• Love 5

Lots of women shave a few years off their age when they think they are getting "old". And especially if they think they can get away with it.

My uncle always thought it was stupid to lie that you're younger...he used to lie that he was 10 years older so people would tell him he looks good.

• Love 9

I think the decision had been made that Colby was getting cut this week even if she came in and nailed everything; that's why Kelli and Judy didn't care that she didn't have a opportunity to show them her improvement. Ultimately, the problem with Colby wasn't her dancing, it was the fact that she looks old (especially next to the other girls) and that's not something they can change. Her window of opportunity to be a DCC has passed, and if she comes back next year I don't think Kelli will take her into training camp again.

I don't get why Emily was selected for training camp to begin with, especially over vets. She's sickly looking and with that timid personality there's no way she did well in the panel interviews. I also don't think her face is anything special, even though Kelli and Judi raved about how pretty she was.

Madeline needs to be the next cut. Like Neal McCoy said, she doesn't have the DCC look and she's not ever going to. She's also not applying the corrections they keep giving her over and over and over; Every time they dance, Madeline is told that she's popping too much. She nods and says ok, but she never actually changes anything about her dancing. They can't risk giving a spot to someone who can't/won't do their style of dance AND doesn't have the look. No way.

Did anyone else notice when it showed Kelli's notes, it showed the TCCs ranked in order of performance at tryouts? It also listed their scores. I paused it to try to read the full list but it was too blurry. I think KaShara was number 27. Auto Amy was right around there, too.

Edited by blairwaldorf
  • Love 5

Emily reminded me of former TCC Cathleen from season 4 who got cut for dancing timid also.

When Kelll & Judy were watching the girls dance I noticed a picture behind them that was blurred out. I wonder what it was. Anybody else see  it?

Edited by MrsEVH

Hello! Newbie here, glad I found this forum. I agree with everyone's opinions about Emily. Sweet girl, but I'm surprised she made it over some of the vets. I was just glad Danielle made it after all. She's really become one of my favorites over the last few seasons.

I would have liked it if Kelli had let Colby know if she would've made it into camp without the fan vote. She did it with Vivian, I'd like to have seen that this time. It seemed like Kelli wasn't happy about the fan vote. I don't blame her though, this is rude but, Colby has a "Joker-ish" look about her. That and the whole British accent coming in and out was annoying.

I wonder if Madeline wouldn't benefit from a makeover? Her hair is way too dark and her eyebrows need help. She just has such a baby face too.

• Love 1

Hello! Newbie here, glad I found this forum. I agree with everyone's opinions about Emily. Sweet girl, but I'm surprised she made it over some of the vets. I was just glad Danielle made it after all. She's really become one of my favorites over the last few seasons.

I would have liked it if Kelli had let Colby know if she would've made it into camp without the fan vote. She did it with Vivian, I'd like to have seen that this time. It seemed like Kelli wasn't happy about the fan vote. I don't blame her though, this is rude but, Colby has a "Joker-ish" look about her. That and the whole British accent coming in and out was annoying.

I wonder if Madeline wouldn't benefit from a makeover? Her hair is way too dark and her eyebrows need help. She just has such a baby face too.

Hi and welcome!!

She did tell Colby that she wouldn't have made it to camp without the fan vote.  One of the very first nights of camp they brought her in to let her know. 

• Love 1

Hi and welcome!!

She did tell Colby that she wouldn't have made it to camp without the fan vote.  One of the very first nights of camp they brought her in to let her know. 

Kelli told all 3 winners, Vivian, Loren, and Colby that they did/did not make  it to TC with the FV.

Will be interesting to see next year (I know I'm ahead of myself) whether the FV winner will make it her own. If they get another one like Colby, maybe that could be the end of it.

I'm guessing the FV was originally to help a somewhat good dancer who might not have made it with the judges vote get into TC. It seems like now it's just a popularity contest to see who has the most fans on the internet. I has to make all the other TCCS mad because they got there on their own.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 2

Oh okay! I must have missed that, I think last night was the first full episode I've been able to watch. It's been crazy with back to school stuff. Thanks!

• Love 1

Kelli seems to like Taylor. She actually looked great in my opinion during the dance combinations, nice personality. But we know her kicks are going to be her problem.

She did look great during the dance combo - she appears to know how to pick up and perform new choreo well and quickly. She can join Megan from SD on my list of "TCC rookies who are pro level dancers". Unfortunately, so far it's just those 2 - haha.

I think Taylor's face is gorgeous, her teeth are a little fake looking, but she definitely has the DCC look from the neck up. I guess if she's never really stretched before there's a remote chance she can improve her flexibilify enough to make it, but how could she have never stretched before? That sounds unbelievable to me. She's a good dancer though so I'm rooting for her.

• Love 3

I am so glad that Colby is gone.  She looks old, her accent is fake, she is not a good dancer, etc. which explains why she only got the fan vote and otherwise would not have made training camp.  Poor Emily is too timid and that's her personality so I doubt more classes and a year would let her make it.

The vets who were cut I wasn't surprised.  Ashley P and Breelan struggled so much in training camp, didn't do well on the field this time and Jasmine did not do well in her solo or on the field.

I am not a fan of Taylor.  I believe her dancing is good but her kicks are horrible and she needs a makeover.  There is something off in her looks.  When she talked about weight training i believe she meant she used weight training to get her body in shape and of course that does nothing for flexibility.

Poor Madeline is child like cute in a goth way but she doesn't have the DCC glam look and her over popping is distracting.  it's so easy to see others on the bubble that I doubt will make it.

Stephanie, the guest choreographer is a great dancer but like Colby over botoxed and odd looking.

Does anyone know the true story on why Sydney "retired" and then ended up with the Mavericks.  I thought she had finally grown up to real life and then you hear she's dancing for them.  I suspect that Kelli told her it was time for new blood.

• Love 2

I think Taylor was one of the last cuts. They probably kept her around to see if she could improve her kicks. Seems like every year they have a girl with some issue (kicks, memory) who they keep around until the end..

• Love 2

I am not really a Taylor fan, but I did think she was great in the dance that Stephanie choreographed for them and one of the few who actually looked good doing it. On that style of dance, she really shines. I don't care for her looks; in a way she reminds me of Morgan. I think she's very rough looking and her teeth are distracting. 

I'm liking Courtney a lot more as the season progresses, too. I think she's cute and she seems to have a good attitude. She's not the best dancer there, but she doesn't stand out in a negative way like some of the others do. 

I felt like they really sped through uniform fittings. I would have liked to see more. It seems like in the past they've had almost a whole episode dedicated to fittings and in this one we really only saw 3-4 girls. I hate to say it, but aside from being so skinny, I think the moles all over Emily's stomach would have been a deal breaker on their own. Very distracting and the first thing I noticed when she put the uniform on. 

• Love 4

Courtney looked very pretty in the uniform. I'm still not a fan cause she seems full of herself to me, but I got to admit that she looked good and appeared more DCC-ish looks wise in this episode.

If they get on Holly about her weight next week, I wonder what she's going to do cause she already proved how fit she was by winning the Jay challenge :/. I think there are a couple others who have more serious weight issues than Holly though - for instance, Amy T., her bottom half is very thick. KaShara too. They may look fine in the uniform though cause of the shoulder pads on the top.

• Love 1

Holly would be an easy fix, though, since she's so fit.  A little layer of fat likely means that she's eating "wrong," I'm sure a little adjustment to her diet would be all she needs.

• Love 2

What did Kelli mean when she said some girls had had "career ending hamstring injuries in previous years?' 

I wondered about that too. Whose ENTIRE CAREER was affected by a hamstring injury? If anything, she may be exaggerating. 

I think Taylor was one of the last cuts. They probably kept her around to see if she could improve her kicks. Seems like every year they have a girl with some issue (kicks, memory) who they keep around until the end..

You're right.

Definitely the last week of Training Camp. She was one of the last four cut.

I'm liking Courtney a lot more as the season progresses, too. I think she's cute and she seems to have a good attitude. She's not the best dancer there, but she doesn't stand out in a negative way like some of the others do. 

She wins the Personality Award. And she's actually a cute dancer. She just has bad skin.

Holly would be an easy fix, though, since she's so fit.  A little layer of fat likely means that she's eating "wrong," I'm sure a little adjustment to her diet would be all she needs.

I always wondered whether or not she was going to be called in for weight.

She may be one of the ones pulled in for the "My Fit Food" challenge. After all, she did make the team AND Show Group. 

• Love 2

Not surprised that Colby was cut. It was obvious from the beginning that Kelli didn't like her so I'm kind of surprised she lasted all of two weeks in training camp. Although I agree that she wasn't right for the team, I liked that she came to Kelli's office prepared and offered to dance for them. It showed she had some awareness and that she made the effort to come up with something to try to convince Kelli to let her stay (as opposed to just slinking off with her tail between her legs).

I agree. I didn't care for Colby at all until she handled Kelli's feedback gracefully last episode and how she offered to dance the routines this episode... Then I liked her more as a person. Still I never thought her look was fresh enough for DCC.
  • Love 5

I thought Melissa and Jay additions were great tonight. 

Amazing that those girls can pick up choreography so quickly. 

One of the thngs that really caught my eye---Door Lady's wig!  Maybe I just didn't notice before...

Cheryl (the "door lady") went through chemo recently.

• Love 2