Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Primetimer

These Are The Ads That Try Mets-Fans' Souls

Amen, Kaplan.

I'm also mortified to realize I forgot to include that repellent Mazda tone poem to the mid-life crisis convertible. "Driver's license (took two tries!)" -- HATE. Fortunately it's been replaced in the ro but oh my God I hated that ad so much. "Remember when you didn't have that albatross called a family? There's a car for that!" Fuck off.

UGH! "DoNATE your kar today." Such hatred. This one also plays on the Fan all the time and it grates so. (Aside: I love how the Fan jingle has expanded over time to include mention of FM and online to the point where now it's a full fledged verse.)

• Like 3

What, they don't show the Koeppel Auto Group ad with the spokesmodel announcing the new "K Addo Group"? Honestly, don't you think someone on the shoot would have said, "uh, it's pronounced awto, not addo." And her voice is ugly too. (She, however, is certainly not.)

Christie Brinkley is always a welcome sight, I don't care how unoriginal the commercial is. And they do get bonus points for using the best (non-Anthony Michael Hall) Rusty, Ethan "Mr Papagiorgio" Embry.

• Like 2

I haven't seen as many this year, but the New York Smokers Quitline commercials are just disturbing (which obviously is the point). But when I'm trying to enjoy the game and I have to see a lady with no fingers or a guy with a hole in his neck, I just wanna get out of there.

• Like 1

We are a college football family, which means that my annual 12 weeks of actually watching commercials instead of skipping them begins next Thursday. That 12 weeks (plus bowl season after a couple of weeks off) is as much unfast-forwardable commercial time as I can handle. I appreciate the rundown of what to expect/avoid if possible.

I don't think I could make it through a full professional baseball schedule's worth of live advertisement.

AAAAAHHHH! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the Kars for Kids (what's worse -- the jingle or the spelling?) picture. It sends Beadboy2 running from the room every time we see it.

Heh. The KFK jingle first hit my ears as a relentless radio ad on WFAN what must be more than ten years ago.  I"ve outgrown WFAN for streaming music and satellite radio, but Kars for Kids still continues to haunt me.  I think this commercial is in the regular rotation for one of the kids shows we watch regularly, because I see it frequently and am not a Mets fan.

On the bright side, I did get to use it to explain to my children why I laughed so loudly at a joke in Inside Out.  (A phenomenal movie, by the way. make sure you see it when it crosses your path this winter, even if you don't have kids.)  Once I explained that 1 877 Kars for Kids is their equivalent to Tripledent Gum, and that baby is never leaving, they understood why I loved that joke. Maybe they didn't understand entirely why it was brilliant, but at least they stopped thinking I was a complete lunatic.

ETA: And let's be honest, if there is a little Lewis Black in our heads, Kars for Kids surely makes him really angry. He probably wants to smack that kid on the guitar right in the back of the head.

Edited by JTMacc99

OMG, there's a TV ad for Kars 4 Kids?  I thought the radio ad was bad enough (and it is!).  

I'm so lucky they don't run those ads during O's games here and I only have to suffer through them while listening to the Tony Kornheiser radio show...and only when I can't get to the volume button quickly enough.  God those ads are the worst.

I do have to disagree on the Rashida Jones Verizon ads.  Both of the women who are not Rashida make me stabby in the extreme.

Hey, what about the Draft Kings ad they played up until the All-Star break? (" . . . a shipload of money.") Oh god, shut up. I can't even with that frat-boy shit.

One benefit of having moved to Sox country (Mystic, CT) is that we need only suffer anything "Kars for Kids"-related when listening to Howie Rose in the car (yes, WOR's crazed red-state signal actually makes it up here). But I'm sad that we're missing DeGrom's dealership spot! I would literally watch him do anything.

I feel much the same as you do about the national spots, although I'm kinda with your husband in growing weary of the rails-riding-chicken. Also, is it me, or does the chicken farmer say, "HE just keeps sending pictures"? Not a cock, Doc. (And speaking of cocks, yes, those fucking smug mid-life crisis Mazda spots are the worst. HATE the "poetry" and double hate the delivery.)

Love Combover Manning ("Whaaaaat?") and although I'm not really down with esurance's "sorta you isn't you" concept, I'm always tickled by the Buster Posey spot ("Who's ready to have a baby?"). But the best, best insurance ad this baseball season was Geico's Scapegoat. It's only been on a handful of times, but it's dear to my heart.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the first Rashida Jones FIOS ad was so mean. Me: "Rashida wouldn't do that!" Also harboring resentment about FIOS cutting off north of New Haven County.

Our local spots up here include Bishop's Orchards (surprisingly un-tacky); The Vein Clinic (yup, it's what it sounds like), and car dealership ads featuring the usual rather greasy suspects. We also suffer through endless Bob's Discount Furniture and W.B. Mason spots, but so does everybody, I guess? W.B. Mason's ads are lame this season, but not as horrible as the "kid detectives join up with creepy mustache guy" of last season. I miss the sassy lady from a couple years ago.

In other news, the Town Fair Tire singers are the nasal-est. Also, "Nobody beats Town Fair Tire. NO-BODY!" is a lie. The tire purchaser in my family can testify that Mavis Discount Tire beats the hose jobbers at Town Fair.

Count me in as a person who turns down the radio when Kars 4 Kids comes on. Horrible tune and when the adult male songs in that fake country-bumpkin manner....ugh. Plus the charity is shady (1 out of 4 stars on Charity Navigator.)<br /><br />It can't be a secret to the charity that this jingle is loathed (I have never met anyone who doesn't groan at its mention) so it's curious why they stick with it.

it's promoting a fan vote for the best new "Citi Call-Ups" program concession stand; the one that wins gets to stay at Citi as a permanent concession. Great -- except voting for this closed two months ago. They already announced the results during a broadcast.

WHAT?!?!!?!? I watch sooooooo many games and didn't know that! Come on!

I love the fedora twins ad (and the fitted sheet one). Love the free-range chicken.

I love the fedora twins ad (and the fitted sheet one). Love the free-range chicken.

I love the fitted-sheet one too.(Mainly because I *still* can't fold a fitted sheet to save my life. And I turn 49 next month.)

The Kars 4 Kids ad is not not just annoying but more seriously misleading.  The Ira Kaplan article does not really get into the problems.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/188797/kars-4-kids-rakes-in-the-buckz

How many people who see this ad know that this is the charity provided:

"According to tax forms, Oorah is “a Jewish outreach organization for the purpose of imparting Jewish education, values, and traditions, as well as guidance and support, to Jewish children who lack access to these fundamentals.” The charity does little fundraising outside of the grants it receives from Kars 4 Kids each year. Its website describes the many programs it offers children, which range from summer camps, to helping students find appropriate Jewish day schools, to providing tuition assistance for students transitioning from free public school to yeshiva. Oorah also offers scholarships to those desiring to spend a gap year abroad in Israel."

Nothing that nefarious if the group ever mentioned what charity was being actually provided with the donations.  My least favorite Mets ad by far.

Edited by ratgirlagogo