Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Paula Deen: Controversial Butter Fanatic

• Start Topic

PAULA DEEN One of the best-known personalities in the world of cooking, Paula Deen is the author of 14 cookbooks that have sold more than 8 million copies. In addition to her many television successes, Paula launched Paula Deen Live! in 2014, a nationwide tour of 90 minute shows featuring Paula making her favorite seasonal dishes. On her digital lifestyle network, the Paula Deen Network, Paula provides viewers with cooking tips, new recipes and step-by-step instruction on how to cook her signature Southern dishes in an unscripted format. PRO DANCE PARTNER: LOUIS VAN AMSTEL

In June 2013, Deen was the target of a lawsuit alleging racial and sexual discrimination. The case was heard in August 2013, with the judge dismissing the suit with prejudice, meaning it cannot be re-filed. In the time between the filing of the suit and the suit being dismissed, Deen had cookery programs, publishing deals and endorsement contracts cancelled by Food Network, Smithfield Foods, Walmart, Target, QVC, Caesars Entertainment, Home Depot, diabetes drug company Novo Nordisk, J.C. Penney, Sears, Kmart and her then-publisher Ballantine Books.

PB_Paula-Deen-bio_s3x4.jpg.rend.snibiopo

So I included the information about the lawsuits against her because I'm sure they'll come up during the show. I do want to preemptively add: Anything that's brought up on the SHOW/media about the show is fair game to talk about. If you are just posting to say you find this contestant distasteful that's fine but don't do it multiple times or start fights with others re: their opinions. 

I find Paula distasteful for another reason. She was pushing all her high fat, high sugar, high cholesterol dishes all the while she was being treated for type 2 diabetes.  She didn't fess up (I think it was like for 2 YEARS) until she got an endorsement deal for a diabetes drug. But then she was STILL promoting her idea that diabetics could eat that stuff "in moderation". This woman...I just...want her to go away!

• Love 9

I am thrilled to see Paula on the show, but hate that she is paired with Louis.  I had no idea that they were going to drag him up again.

I hope Paula's fans rally and keep her around for quite a while!  

At least they didn't pair her with Keo, that's about the only positive thing I have to say about her.

Don't think she would have had any issue with that.  One of her most valued and trusted employees who travels with her is a black gentleman.

Wow!! Paula's lost a lot of weight during her two-year hiatus. She seems to have a great attitude about being on the show, getting to know the other dancetestants and her partner.

Paula was diagnosed with Diabetes shortly before the crap hit the fan regarding the racism charges (she had also been hired as a spokesperson for the drug company which makes her medication--an endorsement deal she subsequently lost when the racism charges did hit the fan). So the weight loss was at least partially medically-related, as opposed to vanity-related.

I was just watching TMZ Live and they brought up an interesting thought. Will Paula do Southern Belle, Gone With The Wind, plantation  type theme dances that could remind the audience of the racial issues that Paula is trying to move past.  Then I thought, would LVA be aware of the possible connotations and would Paula be able to school him about it?

I was just watching TMZ Live and they brought up an interesting thought. Will Paula do Southern Belle, Gone With The Wind, plantation  type theme dances that could remind the audience of the racial issues that Paula is trying to move past.  Then I thought, would LVA be aware of the possible connotations and would Paula be able to school him about it?

I'm actually shocked she requested Louis. 

• Love 1

There will be no back and forth on whether Paula Deen is a racist on this board. None. Posts will be deleted with no warning and continuing arguments will earn the participants a time out. 

ETA: Just to clarify, you can say what you think about Paula and her personality/comments as well as talk about anything related to the show. Using I statements:" I think Paula is terrible and made racist comments which I find horrible" is fine. "Paula is a racist jerk" is not. Make sense? LMK if you have any questions.

Edited by radishcake
clearing up language issues
  • Love 2

Louis Tweeted a pic of himself, Paula, & her husband, Michael Groover, during rehearsal in NYC yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LouisVanAmstel/status/641384868895703040

And Paula posted an introduction to Louis for the readers of her website. Honestly, for some reason, I'm not too fond of the shirt Louis is wearing in the 1st & 3rd pics. There's just something about it (shrugs).

http://www.pauladeen.com/blog/meet-louis-dwts/

Edited by BW Manilowe

Well, she's quite a disgusting person.  I actually used to like her (prior to the racism) but there was nothing likable IMO with her personality, comments about shitting herself, belching in her partner's face during practice, etc. 

Just. No. 

• Love 7

She met her partner and grabbed him, pushed his face into her breast, and made a comment about "put your head on Mommy's bosom". 

Maybe that could have waited until they knew each other better? 

The comment about her underwear was just not OK.  Did any of us need the mental image of Paula Deen shitting herself? 

• Love 1

Paula was diagnosed with Diabetes shortly before the crap hit the fan regarding the racism charges (she had also been hired as a spokesperson for the drug company which makes her medication--an endorsement deal she subsequently lost when the racism charges did hit the fan). So the weight loss was at least partially medically-related, as opposed to vanity-related.

It looks like she's had work done on her face and neck, probably to pick up what losing weight will do to your now-loose skin. She looked like she was having fun, and it takes guts to go on a show like this when you've not been dancing on a regular basis, added to all the negative PR in her past. She had a hard life starting out, I hope she's happy and has fun some at this point.

• Love 1

Well, she's quite a disgusting person.  I actually used to like her (prior to the racism) but there was nothing likable IMO with her personality, comments about shitting herself, belching in her partner's face during practice, etc. 

Just. No. 

Exactly Jen. I used to like her too. And like answerphone said, she is trying desperately hard for attention and/or to make people forget the racism.

As awful as a performance as that was, I'm quite certain her huge fanbase is going to keep her in there way longer than she deserves. And I can almost guarantee she will make it to the theme week of "The Most Difficult Thing You've Gone Through In Your Life", so she can get yet another chance to cry and blubber about how bad what she went through was, and she's a good person, etc. She still acts in interviews like it was this big tragedy, but she's still making money, lives in a mansion, and has millions of dollars to cry on.

eta: Tristan was mentioned upthread and I just have to say he's the dancer I miss the most and wish would come back. Loved that accent and not bad to look at either.

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 4

Disappointed that she opted to go the lewd & crude route. Sometimes she has a cute personality  Happy to see Louis back. I hope she sticks around for a few weeks, at least. As this season's seniors, I don't expect her, Gary, or Chaka to last  very long. None are as adorable as Patti last season or Tommy Chong in S-19. 

• Love 2

I think Paula was a trooper.  What was up with the producers giving a 68 year old lady a Quickstep for her first dance?  Usually they kind of take it easy in the older folks.

I'm sure that black guy in the audience who the producers deliberately caught seeming to clap for her agrees. (not)

• Love 2

Paula's not telling the truth about her hometown.  She's not from Savannah.  Her hometown is Albany GA.  She graduated high school, worked at an Albany bank as an adult.   Both her boys were born in Albany and her ex husband is still living in Albany. No biggie, just an observation.  With that said, really makes you wonder how scripted all this is. 

Yes Paula was born in Albany, but Savannah is where she attained her success.   She never said Savannah was her birthplace, but it has been her hometown for a while now.

One definition of hometown:  the town where one was born or grew up, or the town of one's present fixed residence.

Edited by radishcake
  • Love 1

She has quite the southern accent to have spent the first 3rd of her life in the northeast. ***eye roll***

Albany, Georgia. Not New York.

Oops. Was beat to it.

Edited by CED9

Ahhhhhhhhhh ha.  Huge difference.  LOL!

ETA- This does not mean I give her any pass.  Not a compelling woman.  Fingers crossed for next out. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Looks like I have to watch Paula's dance next week instead of just fast forwarding. Why didn't they do a double elimination this week and save everyone the switch up trouble of Gary and Paula?

I finally figured out who Paula looked like when she was doing the Madonna number. Mrs Garrett from "facts of life".

Ahhh! That's it. I couldn't figure out who she was reminding me of. Yes, Mrs. Garrett!