Type keyword(s) to search

Production Arts: Costumes, Soundtracks, Props, etc

• Start Topic

And, really, I really doubt Disney would let them put any of them, but especially Anna and Elsa in modern clothes.

At all?   It makes complete sense for them to be in their iconic costumes for the first episode or two, but half the season?  That's a long time for people to be running around in the same clothes.  Especially if everyone else is changing costumes every episode or two.

(Also, add me to the list of people who are done with Hook's full-blown outfit.  I do not care if they make him modern or just switch out his shirt and vests, but it's time for some regular clothes changes, there.)

Was Belle wearing white tights last night?  I think it was in this forum or maybe TwoP that we discussed Belle's clothes, that the choices have to be some kind of reflection of her Belle-ness, her Lacey identity, and heavens knows what else in a mash-up. 

Anna did look a little too overtly Nordic/Heidi.  But cute.

There was a costume featurette: 

And they explain all about the European silk with Austrian crystals,  and Swarovski crystals and stuff that they used to make it. I know Georgina has explained it's a 6 piece outfit and all that too.

At all?   It makes complete sense for them to be in their iconic costumes for the first episode or two, but half the season?  That's a long time for people to be running around in the same clothes.  Especially if everyone else is changing costumes every episode or two.

(Also, add me to the list of people who are done with Hook's full-blown outfit.  I do not care if they make him modern or just switch out his shirt and vests, but it's time for some regular clothes changes, there.)

I'm pretty sure we are not going to see Elsa in modern clothes because

in the BTS photos from episode 7 Elsa is still wearing her blue dress. But Hook is going to start wearing modern clothes in episode 3 or 4

• Love 1

A little late, but I really loved how they incorporated the Sorcerer's Apprentice theme in 4x01 with the hat scene. Fantasia was one of my favorite movies growing up, and I think it's awesome they used a piece of classical music like that in the show. Contrarily, the Beauty and the Beast theme inclusion felt so forced. They didn't even try to be subtle with the allusion, and that paired with Rumpbelle's lack of chemistry in general ruined the scene for me.

Okay, I do realize that this is an odd complaint right after the episode where they had Emma in a fluffy baby pink dress, but does the character have to wear: 

a) dark jeans

b) white t-shirt/sweater

c) leather jacket

Yes, Emma's taste seems to run to fairly simple and practical (except for the hideous plaid/mesh stuff that happened briefly last season), but is she also afraid of color?  Seriously, could her t-shirt/sweater not occasionally be blue or green or purple or yellow or brown or red or . . .

She was wearing a blue t-shirt in the sheriff's station at the end of the last episode, but I agree the whites/pastels wash JMo out. She looks much better in bolder colors. I'd also like it if they went with some more fitted shirts too. There's something sort of sloppy in those loose t-shirts/tanks she sometimes wears.

• Love 1

She was wearing a blue t-shirt in the sheriff's station at the end of the last episode, but I agree the whites/pastels wash JMo out.

I completely forgot about that--and she did have on something dark in the premiere.

Maybe I'm having Neverland flashbacks?  :)

Edited by Mari

Okay, I do realize that this is an odd complaint right after the episode where they had Emma in a fluffy baby pink dress, but does the character have to wear: 

a) dark jeans

b) white t-shirt/sweater

c) leather jacket

Yes, Emma's taste seems to run to fairly simple and practical (except for the hideous plaid/mesh stuff that happened briefly last season), but is she also afraid of color?  Seriously, could her t-shirt/sweater not occasionally be blue or green or purple or yellow or brown or red or . . .

She was wearing a blue t-shirt in the sheriff's station at the end of the last episode, but I agree the whites/pastels wash JMo out. She looks much better in bolder colors. I'd also like it if they went with some more fitted shirts too. There's something sort of sloppy in those loose t-shirts/tanks she sometimes wears.

There is one thing to make JMo look good and sympathetic on screen - and the other to have a wardrobe fitting the character. Practical, somewhat plain and sloppy fits the character IMO, orphan, runaway, streetkid as teenager, bondsperson as adult, not the person sitting around in some comfy office and not afraid to do some dirty work.

Bolder colors can get more attention - and some people prefer not to draw more attention but pretty much to vanish in the crowd.

Edited by katusch
  • Love 4

Bolder colors can get more attention - and some people prefer not to draw more attention but pretty much to vanish in the crowd.

I think if Emma wanted to vanish into the crowd, she would lose the false eyelashes, red leather jacket, and long blonde hair that is never worn any way but down and styled to flow when she runs.

My only objection to her wardrobe is how overly basic it is. Why not a bit of color in her tops? Or even her pants. How about olive green or navy? Dark brown? The colors don't have to be bright to liven things up.

Edited by l star

I think if Emma wanted to vanish into the crowd, she would lose the false eyelashes, red leather jacket, and long blonde hair that is never worn any way but down and styled to flow when she runs.

Those actually might serve a different purpose.  The other way she'd track people down is my getting information.  Playing up her attractiveness would open doors;  people are more likely to react positively to people that are attractive.   Long blond hair and red jackets are not particularly flashy or unusual, so while they wouldn't necessarily melt away into the crowd, they would not really stand out, either.  In a cost/benefit analysis, that little bit of oomph effort is probably completely worth it.

... And the hair extensions. Not everybody has to have princess hair!

JMo isn't using hair extensions in the show. That's her actual hair.

ETA: She has used them for fashion/publicity events (especially when she does the more elaborate braid updos she seems to favor) but not in show from what I've noted.

Edited by FabulousTater

I'm actually surprised how many wigs they use on the show, both male and female. A lot of them look like natural hair, while others not so much. I always thought Snow's bird nest totally changed her look and feel. Her and MM seemed like completely different people at times. In the Pilot, I had a do a double take to make the connection!

I hate fitted tops and hate that girl style tops usually are. I shop for my shirts in the men's section whenever possible. I can't blame Emma for not wanting them either. 

Her jackets change color. Other than that I don't notice anything she wears. I imagine she has about as much interest in fashion as I do.

Edited by Aliasscape
  • Love 3

Oooh, thanks for the tip, scenicbyway! I loved that top and might order it as well. I wish they had it in a different color though. I'm terrible with light colors and usually wind up ruining them with coffee or pasta sauce.

I get what they try to do with the characters' wardrobes. Regina gets power suits. Emma is tough street girl with jeans, tops and her jackets. Belle is more romantic, they put her in a lot of ruffly blouses and skirts. But some of the styles that they dress the women in on the show...you'd think wardrobe hates them. Snow, for example. Yes, she has baby weight. Do you have to make her look so frumpy? And Regina's PANTS in the last episode, good Lord. Those were TERRIFYING.

• Love 1

Oooh, thanks for the tip, scenicbyway! I loved that top and might order it as well. I wish they had it in a different color though. I'm terrible with light colors and usually wind up ruining them with coffee or pasta sauce.

I get what they try to do with the characters' wardrobes. Regina gets power suits. Emma is tough street girl with jeans, tops and her jackets. Belle is more romantic, they put her in a lot of ruffly blouses and skirts. But some of the styles that they dress the women in on the show...you'd think wardrobe hates them. Snow, for example. Yes, she has baby weight. Do you have to make her look so frumpy? And Regina's PANTS in the last episode, good Lord. Those were TERRIFYING.

Regina's pants were so bad, they were distracting.  My husband even noticed and made a remark.  Poor Snow really is getting the worst of the wardrobe lately.  Mary Margaret always had a conservative wardrobe, but what they are putting her in now is just so frumpy.  Cute clothes are still made for people who aren't currently wearing a size two.  I'd say Ginny is probably about a 10 in the episodes now, acting with women who are 0's or 2's, it's ridiculous that they keep putting her in tents essentially.  Maybe by putting the baby down, they'll start to show her in some better clothes.  I just think if Emma or Regina were pregnant (and they are the same age as Snow) they wouldn't be wearing those clothes.

• Love 1

I think maybe Snow's frumpy clothes is on purpose. There are definitely nicer cuts and styles for women who aren't a size 2 out there, but I think making Snow frumpy and look like a softer version of a serious, intense german nanny from the 1800s is meant to reflect her headspace. It's not like it's been one bad outfit, they've been dressing her frumpy since mid season 3, so I'm assuming it's on purpose. I would think that with David saying to Snow that was finally finding herself again that they might start putting her in some less frumpy styled clothing.

• Love 1

I would be more inclined to think it was deliberate if there hadn't been so many awful costume choices this year. Regina's pants in the last ep were awful but the worst part IMO was that they were paired with that ruffle-front, cardigan style jacket. Who puts those two together? Certainly not my queen of the badass dresses. Then there was that tee-vest-ankle pants combo a couple of eps ago, Hook's awful patterned shirt, everything Snow wears, and David's ridiculous FB wig just off the top of my head. The costumes have been heading downhill for awhile IMO (see Emma's plaid and Belle's winter hot pants from last season) but they've gone off the rails this year. At least they are still hitting it out of the park with the Snow Queen's dresses and some great mimicking of the movie's costumes for the Frozen characters.

• Love 1

*didn't notice a thing about how complimenting or fashionable any of the clothes were* What I noticed was the bottom of the Dairy Queen's white dress was dirty and I wondered if she wouldn't have tried hard to you know, keep a blanket of snow beneath her to keep her white dress from turning mud colored.

• Love 1

Jennifer Morrison has said that she has some input in Emma's wardrobe, even providing items from her own wardrobe for teen Emma. Is it possible that Ginny isn't very comfortable with the way she looks and wardrobe is going along with what she suggests? I will say that at least her clothes look really comfortable, so maybe some of it is just that they are easy and comfortable clothing to wear? If she's got the baby on set and is playing with him/feeding him between takes, maybe it just works for her?

It still doesn't explain Regina's pants or her really casual unRegina- like vest/t-shirt combo from a couple weeks ago. 

At least Colin had the good sense to keep the waistcoat buttoned and the leather jacket on. The shirt is barely visible, thus minimizing the audience trauma at that atrocity.

I didn't even notice it. You could barely see it. I still kinda wanna see it onscreen though, just to compare it to how it looks when it's photographed.

Also, i have zero fashion sense, so I doubt I would have been bothered by his shirt. The only thing I know is that you typically don't match brown with black according to many. That's as good as it gets. I'm also one of those people who love "ugly christmas sweaters." I think they're fun.

Regina's pants however... I liked the color, but it looked like they didn't fit right/weren't tailored right in the front???

Regina's pants however... I liked the color, but it looked like they didn't fit right/weren't tailored right in the front???

Yup,  They were badly fitted, unflattering, and on top of that, dated.

Like I said in the episode thread, I'm choosing to think of it as the wardrobe department (or the Once universe) expressing its displeasure with Regina, since pretty much absolutely no one else is allowed to do so.

(And if you enjoy your ugly Christmas sweaters, you go right ahead.  You're the one wearing them, after all. ;) )

• Love 2

Well, now I know what happened to the remnants of my work wardrobe circa 1991-1992 after I donated them to charity. It's nice to see that those slacks not only found a new home but also became TV stars.

• Love 3

Well, now I know what happened to the remnants of my work wardrobe circa 1991-1992 after I donated them to charity. It's nice to see that those slacks not only found a new home but also became TV stars.

It makes sense.  Storybrooke takes stuff that no one would notice is missing.  So the clothes that has been sitting in thrift stores for more than 2 years end up in the closets of Storybrooke.  Emma occasionally gets good clothing, since they used her old stash pre-Storybrooke.  Regina left Storybrooke for some shopping sprees during the 28 years, and she cast the original Curse, so got the good stuff (though this second Curse gave her those pants).

though this second Curse gave her those pants

And now we have proof that Snow White really is evil. Or maybe isn't quite as sweet as she seems and is even better than Regina at getting revenge. At least she's not getting caught, and she's a lot more subtle.

• Love 3

So what did everyone think of Belle's new outfits? She looked like a giant snowflake in the one, but I liked it. She looks nice in white.

Wasn't really a fan of her first updo in the beginning flashback, especially paired with that lipstick shade.

So what did everyone think of Belle's new outfits? She looked like a giant snowflake in the one, but I liked it. She looks nice in white.

Wasn't really a fan of her first updo in the beginning flashback, especially paired with that lipstick shade.

The first updo and makeup seemed very aging--I'm not sure who, but someone pointed out that it aged Belle up enough that she seemed to old to be her mother's daughter.

The snowflake outfit actually wasn't horrible, although as someone who lives in a cold part of the States?  She'd be wearing full tights, not over the knee tights.  (Which--where she lives must be really diverse dressers, because she goes from full length, high necked gowns to miniskirts in the same set of flashbacks.)

• Love 1

I just really hate the way they dress Belle.  Her Arendelle outfit with those knee high socks reminded me of private school. 

I find it problematic, how they infantilize Belle while sexualising her. Reminds me of school girl fetish a few people have. It's something one can see as well in animes, and it makes me feel as uncomfortable there often enough. I am far from squeamish concerning fetishes, but it depends on context, and a prime time Sunday fairy tale show is not the place I find such fetish any appropriate, for a character seen as role model for young women and by young women and girls. (wow, this show seems to bring out seemingly conservative sides of mine).

• Love 5

I'm trying to figure out why the costume department dressed Emma in too-short sweaters two episodes in a row. I'm not a fan of either of them, but that's beside the point. I'm just wondering if there was a reason behind them.

Also, Hook has a new earring! Some people think it's a flower or cross, but I think it's just a gem with four prongs.