Type keyword(s) to search

Production Arts: Costumes, Soundtracks, Props, etc

• Start Topic

A place to discuss costumes, makeup, and the tangled weaves they've been putting on Belle's head!

I really need to know how/why the same people who created Emma's lovely ball gown last week put Belle in the Enchanted Forest wearing leather hot pants.

• Love 1

I'd like to know why they seem to semi-regularly dress Belle in such tiny, tiny clothes.  There was one outfit in 3A where the skirt was so very short they had to film her from the back.  Why?

I have no problem with them dressing her sexily, if that's what they feel the character needs.  But why can't they dress her sexily, tastefully, and age-appropriately?  Some of those outfits make her look even younger than Rumple than she already is, and dressing the actress in what looks like a tweener's idea of sexy and sophisticated just makes her look younger.

Personally, it's starting to be a little squicky.

Yeah, hot pants in Fairytale land, a place where women normally wear long voluminous skirts and corsets, made no sense at all. If they had just put her in Snow's riding pants she would have looked great, well except for the rat's nest on her head.

But the naughty Catholic school girl look with fuck-me heels she's occasionally sporting in Storybrooke is somhow worse because that really makes her look like Rumple's daughter.

(edited)

I'm pretty sure Emilie de Ravin has no input in her character's costume, though. That's all on the costume designers.

I agree that I hate Belle's Storybrooke wardrobe--the hot pants aside, she's generally dressed better and more age-appropriate in the Enchanted Forest--but my headcanon is that the showrunners want her clothes to represent how odd/eccentric Belle is. Thinking back to the Disney Belle, she's "so peculiar," "a funny girl," "rather odd," etc etc etc. She's supposed to be someone who's just a little bit off the beaten path, right? And I do think that Once wants us to see her as someone who's a little bit different as well (everyone else on the show is shoot first, ask questions later, and she's like let's go to the library!). So my headcanon is that Belle's Storybrooke clothing is supposed to represent this--that she's just a little bit odd/out of step with everyone around her.

Edited by stealinghome

That does make sense, though it'd really miss the point of Belle's actual characterization in the original movie. The "oddness" everyone pointed out was simply how she was a young woman more interested in reading than doing what girls usually did in small French towns in the 18th century. Likewise, her dad was eccentric because he made inventions that were arguably ahead of the times. Regardless, I can see the Once people going for that particular route and as long as they continue to delve into her character more deeply/often, I can totally get on board.

First let me say that I must be odd too, because Belle's Storybrooke clothes are some of my favorites.  It did kinda bug me that originally they put Belle in such short skirts and heels all the time, even when she was sneaking onto a pirate ship, but I've assumed her FM heels are a product of making her sexy and also to give her more height since she's 5'2". Fine, I can live with that, and her Enchanted Forest cloak is still my favorite piece of clothing on this show ever.  That said, the hot pants in the Enchanted Forest in the snow just was a huge WTF moment for me. 

Oh, but Snow's maternity clothes, I thought those have been really beautiful on her.

Yes, I will say that they've given Snow/Ginny G. some great maternity outfits! Very pretty, very flattering. I think she lucks out in general with clothing--while they still had the occasional misfire in S2, once we got past the worst of Mary Margaret's style in S1, she's pretty consistently had some of the best outfits on the show. Everything in the fairybacks and just about everything in the present is cool and *interesting.*

OK, I'm going to try and see how the spoiler tag works in a post but here are some costumes for the season finale apparently. I think the links would be OK on their own but could give away who the people are in the URL so just in case! Also if you want to discuss, remember to use the spoiler tag thingy. It's the circle with the slash symbol if you reply with options or something like that.

I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned Hook's (lack of) wardrobe here. I love his look (reminds me of Spike), but he's basically been wearing the same thing this whole time! I read somewhere that's a conscious choice for his character with some sort of symbolism behind it, and he will finally get a change at some point. Anybody know anything more about that? 

The outfit suits him so well though.  If it does get changed I think it will be missed, although less plunging necklines would be nice, the leather just about stops it looking too 1970s.  I would have liked to have seen him in normal clothes for a brief bit though, bitterly complaining about them and how they're not piratey enough.

• Love 1

It's going to be odd, once it happens, seeing him in anything else.

Spike pretty much wore the same/similar clothes for most of BtVS but, as a vampire, he'd be less concerned with B.O. or whatever.

I think Hook continuing to dress like a pirate in Storybrooke is similar to Ichabod still wearing his old clothes on Sleepy Hollow. It's part of who he is and what he's comfortable with. But you also have to consider that Mary Margaret and the other people living in Storybrooke had their memories taken away so they thought wearing non-fairy tale clothes was normal. There was no adjustment period for them. Hook, on the other hand, came to Storybrooke with his pirate memories in tact, so there's no reason for him to wear something else. And, like Spike, his long coat is part of his swagger. But really I think it's mostly that he doesn't have a non-Fairy Tale Land identity. He was Hook there and he came to Storybrooke has Hook, so in his mind, why would he wear non-pirate clothes just because he went on a trip to somewhere else?

• Love 1
(edited)

EB: That makes sense.

Trust me, I don't have a problem with Hook's look. The coat was certainly a big part of Spike's identity - that was made crystal clear in s7. I'm sure it's the same here.

Edited by Dianthus

I generally see Hook's lack of wardrobe change as laziness, be it on the part of the character or the show. I wish they would change it up some though. I agree that he is pretty but the pirate costume (it may have started out as clothes but now it seems costume-y to me), gelled hair, guyliner, and tortured look are really just wearing on my nerves. I think it would be interesting if Hook tried to mesh the two styles. What would his coat look like with dark jeans? Or his shirt under a black leather jacket? I was willing to go with it for a while but now that Robin, Roland and all the Merry Men have even changed, dude. Adjust.

Regina has my favorite wardrobe. She has worn so many pieces this year that I covet. I even loved her Neverland outfit all the way to the end.

I really can't with Snow's maternity wardrobe. It is just so dated. Mary Margaret was 'classic' but she was never like this. Snow is a young princess. With all the cute and elegant maternity clothes out there, I really think they could have done better. I feel the same way about Belle's wardrobe. I think that she is supposed to be dressing younger and less practically than the more street savvy characters. I can go with that, I just wish her wardrobe was a little less Forever 21.

I liked Emma's wardrobe a lot in earlier seasons but I haven't been feeling it this season. She's worn a few things that I really thought were ugly (the plaid!).

What is the deal with the hair this season? The guys' hair has always been hit or miss for me but Ginnifer's adorable pixie cut has been looking off too.

Pregnancy can really mess with your hair. Ginny's is naturally curly so I suspect it is even wilder now and takes a load of product to get it even close to Mary Margaret's style. There is a lovely of link to Charming's hair in his thread. I rather like it longish on top. 

They could put Hook in a black leather motorcycle jacket and jeans. I'll help with the focus group.

• Love 1

Belle's wedding outfit was a bit bizarre. It was like something out of Miss Marple above the waist with white tights and extremely high heels, because of course that's just what you'd wear for traipsing through a forest.  Possibly she had the enchanted forest hotpants on underneath the coat.

I usually ignore the costumes on this show, but I had to blink, and not in a good way, at Belle's wedding dress. After everything else the episodes gave us - Regina's marvelously over the top dresses and hats, that ballgown they put Emma in, the other dresses in the ball - saddling Belle with some weird cross of a 1950s hat with a short skirt and leggings was just....what on earth are you going for, show? Further symbolism that this marriage is doomed because this was the only white dress the bride could find in Storybrooke?

It so threw me out of the scene that I didn't even notice that almost no one attended the wedding. I'm guessing to avoid Regina making a (in this case, fully justified) comment on Belle's dress.

Yeah, Belle's wedding outfit sucked (it maybe could've been redeemed but for the hat), but I'm calling out Regina's leather pants in the first Enchanted Forest scene. Those were AWFUL, they looked like rubber instead of leather, and were terribly unflattering to Lana.

Emma was beautiful in that red ball gown but if one looked carefully at the gowns of the rest of the attendees, one would have thought that they borrowed Reign's costume designer. Those costumes were all over the centuries.

Kudos to whoever was doing Emma's hair for "Snow Drifts" and "There's No Place Like Home". The difference between her Fairy Tale Princess tresses and the straighter do for no-nonsense Bail Bondsperson in Storybrooke was amazing in changing how "soft" Emma would look in the two settings. Well done!

Agreed! Emma's hair looked lovely in her final Enchanted Forest "prisoner"outfit. Despite it being rags, I really loved that outfit. The blue cloak was a wonderful color on her.

I usually ignore the costumes on this show, but I had to blink, and not in a good way, at Belle's wedding dress. After everything else the episodes gave us - Regina's marvelously over the top dresses and hats, that ballgown they put Emma in, the other dresses in the ball - saddling Belle with some weird cross of a 1950s hat with a short skirt and leggings was just....what on earth are you going for, show? Further symbolism that this marriage is doomed because this was the only white dress the bride could find in Storybrooke?

Wrong decade.  Belle looked to me as though she'd somehow found a portal to Chicago circa 1927.

Wrong decade.  Belle looked to me as though she'd somehow found a portal to Chicago circa 1927.Wrong decade.  Belle looked to me as though she'd somehow found a portal to Chicago circa 1927.

Which would have been just fine if Belle had been able to walk unsupported in her own shoes. 

I may be the only one who liked Belle's wedding dress, but that may be because I'm a sucker for the roaring 20s. Now, I still think it makes no sense for her as a character, but in theory I quite like it.

I may be the only one who liked Belle's wedding dress, but that may be because I'm a sucker for the roaring 20s. Now, I still think it makes no sense for her as a character, but in theory I quite like it.

I liked the coat, and the hat--but I've a definite fondness for hats, but it is a little odd that they had to wear cold weather gear to their wedding.  The lack of super-fancy ball gown dress didn't phase me;  they had the wedding maybe 18 hours after he proposed?

Also, (and yes, I realize I might be obsessing on this) I do not care if they have to make the actress stand on a box when her character kisses Rumple.  Could they please, please, please for the love of puppies, kittens, and unicorns everywhere please give the actress shoes to wear that she can actually walk in? 

• Love 1

I liked the coat and hat, but it needed a longer skirt, probably something with a trumpet line -- slim through the hips and then flaring at the knees. Then a Mary Jane or T-strap shoe, which might provide enough security to stop the wobbling in heels.

Could they please, please, please for the love of puppies, kittens, and unicorns everywhere please give the actress shoes to wear that she can actually walk in?

I can't tell if it's a character thing that she can't walk in heels because I'd hope that a vertically challenged actress would be used to having to wear heels and would have learned to walk in them so that she doesn't look like a newborn giraffe. And now I'm picturing that episode of The X-Files where they were making a TV series based on their work, and Agent Scully was teaching the actress playing her how to run in heels. They were in the background of the scene, running back and forth.

At any rate, either she needs more practice or perhaps some ballet classes to strengthen those muscles. Ballet makes you really good at walking in heels and keeping your balance. If it's a character thing, then maybe Belle needs to rethink her choice of footwear.

I can't tell if it's a character thing that she can't walk in heels because I'd hope that a vertically challenged actress would be used to having to wear heels and would have learned to walk in them so that she doesn't look like a newborn giraffe.

And now I'm picturing that episode of The X-Files where they were making a TV series based on their work, and Agent Scully was teaching the actress playing her how to run in heels. They were in the background of the scene, running back and forth.

They've consistently made some pretty odd choices for Belle, fashion-wise.  (Leather booty shorts?  Really?  And in Storeyville they consistently dress her just this side of high price call girl playing naughty school teacher.)  I can't say if the too-tall heels are on purpose, but you're right about needing to strengthen her ankles and learn to walk in them.  The scenes she's walking she's either tottering around, or clutching someone/something.

As for the X-Files,  I don't remember that episode, but I will admit I started to try and delete the X-Files from my brain once it completely choked itself on its own mythology.  That must've been  hilarious, and now I wish I remembered it.

This was posted on TWoP, but I thought it was too awesome not to share. If you want your own Snow White costume, there's a pattern from McCall's. This is my favorite of her Enchanted Forest outfits.

This is my favourite Snow White outfit and I'm glad there's a pattern for it but I have to say the sketch version with the floral overcoat is gorgeous.

I had a costuming related observation from the last minute reveal in the finale. I probably shouldn't overthink what was shown. Hook's reveal had little to do with what Once's Hook ended up wearing. However, what they choose for Else seemed really specific. It was a princess line dress with a kind of off the the shoulder neckline with a straight cowl. We've seen two other women wear a dress with this basic design the first time we see them: Princess Abigail and Queen Ava. Both women were shown to us one way and then had a significantly different way later. 

At any rate, either she needs more practice or perhaps some ballet classes to strengthen those muscles. Ballet makes you really good at walking in heels and keeping your balance. If it's a character thing, then maybe Belle needs to rethink her choice of footwear.

She's done ballet since she was young, so it might be a character thing.  LOL.

She's done ballet since she was young, so it might be a character thing.  LOL.

Then that's one more reason Belle may be too stupid to live, if she persists in wearing shoes that make her teeter like a toddler clomping around in her mother's heels. She just looks so painfully awkward that I'm worried she's going to break an ankle at any moment. I don't think she's that bad in the Enchanted Forest clothes. Not that those outfits don't have their own issues (hotpants in the snow!!!!), but she seems capable of walking across a room without looking like she'll fall down if she's not clinging to something large and heavy, unlike Storybrooke Belle.

I had a costuming related observation from the last minute reveal in the finale. I probably shouldn't overthink what was shown. Hook's reveal had little to do with what Once's Hook ended up wearing. However, what they choose for Else seemed really specific. It was a princess line dress with a kind of off the the shoulder neckline with a straight cowl. 

It was Elsa's iconic outfit from the movie.

Okay, please tell me if I'm way off base here, but Hook's boots bug the hell out of me! If you see him sometimes in full-length profile, it looks as though either his feet are enormous for his height, or he's wearing clown shoes. Am I crazy, or has anyone else soon it also?

And my big quibble with Belle's wedding attire was the length of the skirt. Second would be the shoes, but it would have been much improved overall if the skirt had been longer.

I'll join in the coveting of Regina's fabulous wardrobe, even though I'm more comfortable in something like Emma's.

(edited)

Okay, please tell me if I'm way off base here, but Hook's boots bug the hell out of me! If you see him sometimes in full-length profile, it looks as though either his feet are enormous for his height, or he's wearing clown shoes. Am I crazy, or has anyone else soon it also?

It's not just you! Ugh, those things bug me. It's like this fancy leather jacket and sleek leather pants and then the clumsy "pirate" boots. Plus, the toes curl up so they look like elf shoes. And they don't seem like they have much give, which is probably why I think Colin looks like an awkward drunk penguin or something when he has to run for a scene. I was so excited when I saw him in the Han Solo outfit in the season finale with regular boots on.

Anyway, I've obviously over thought the boots by alot but seriously! He's a good looking guy in a damn fine looking costume except for those dumb boots.

Edited by sharky

Yes, Hook's boots annoy me too! They come to a big, clunky tip on the end, and curl up, I would presume just to make walking easier. Same reason I can't wear heels with pointed toes, because my feet are already big, and they just make my feet look even bigger, plus they squish my toes. Maybe next season he'll get some new boots.

At the beginning of 3B, there was a lot of talk about why Emma was wearing plaid all the time, and I just noticed that when 12 year old Emma is at the orphanage, she is wearing a plaid shirt. I'm not sure if she was unconsciously connecting to her past feelings of not having a home, or if she just likes plaid, but it was nice continuity.

Hook is rather overdue for a wardrobe makeover, considering how much he's distanced himself from his past self, to the point he punched his past self out. You'd think he'd want to make a change. I'm just afraid that the producers are so enamored of the black leather and guyliner that they won't let the character change organically.

If Hook were real and there weren't producers who can't let go of things they love enough to let things be logical in charge, I'd say that it would make sense for Hook to go a similar route as Robin -- a mix of modern clothes and items that suggest the Enchanted Forest self -- or to find modern clothes with elements that reflect things from the Enchanted Forest. Like maybe a loose modern shirt (worn largely unbuttoned, because this is Hook) and a vest/waistcoat with black jeans and boots (without pointed toes), and his own black leather coat when the weather's cool.

• Love 1