Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Carlos PenaVega: Big Time Rumba

• Start Topic

CARLOS PENAVEGA Actor/singer Carlos PenaVega shot to fame and cult status after starring on the highly successful Nickelodeon musical comedy Big Time Rush, which also took to the road and toured with the ensemble cast around the globe. Having studied musical theater at the Boston Conservatory, Carlos recently released his first solo single in Spanish, Electrico, which charted in the Top 10 on the Latin iTunes songs charts. Carlos is married to actress Alex PenaVega, who will also compete in Season 21 of Dancing with the Stars. PRO DANCE PARTNER: WITNEY CARSON

Carlos-Pena-Vega.jpg

From Alexa's thread:

Carlos with split votes with Hayes & Nick.

I don't know that that's going to be true. He and Hayes might be gunning for the same votes from the teen/preteen block, but as far as boy band/90s nostalgia goes, I think Nick Carter has that one in the bag. Big Tim Rush has nothing on the Backstreet Boys.

I'm not sure Big Time Rush even has that big of t a following. I babysat for a girl that tolerated the show when Big Time Rush was a thing, but other than that ... eh. I don't know that that's enough to get him votes. I think the only reason James Maslow got as many votes as he did was because -1- he didn't suck as a dancer, and -2- he filled the "hot guy" quota for his season.

Being constantly reminded that Carlos is married to Alexa might actually hurt his voting turnout, especially if they wanted him to be the hot guy for this season.

My son watched Big Time Rush when he was around five years old. I think that was the demo that watched that show, since it was on Nickolodeon. I agree, Nick is going to get all the nostalgia votes and I don't think that Hayes kid is going to last long. Carlos looks like he can dance though, so he will probably be around awhile for that reason if nothing else.

Perhaps it's too early to say and I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I've been thinking as well: It's starting to look like he's getting a bit of the dreaded male ringer treatment. The judges seem to have marked him out as the one with the most dance and performance experience of the lot, he had a very good first dance and has a lot of showmanship. So now they expect magical stuff everytime and if it doesn't reach that ideal, they're underwhelmed. It happened to Charlie White as well. I'm sure he'll bounce back from that and he'll get better scores probably already next week, but yeah. He's not been blowing away the competition and perhaps they expect that or something, but his dances have been consistently good. I thought this week's scores were mostly okay, last week the 21 compared to the overscoring going on around him was rather low for what he showed.

I think the comparison between Carlos and Alexa the show is harping on is rather malicious here as well and hurts them both. For Alexa it's "She's not such a natural performer and doesn't have his showmanship/charisma". For Carlos it's starting to become "you're not improving as Alexa". And both is unfair. Alexa starts without the dance background that Carlos has so it's understandable she's not as secure in dancing and presentation. And Carlos isn't going to improve in such obvious ways like Alexa, because she starts from a lower level. If they would just let them have individual journeys all of that wouldn't be a problem since they're both doing fine. Different, but fine. But the producers gotta have the dramz! Sigh.

Edited by katha

Is it because he already sets off my "weird and controlling" bat senses, or is this as gross as I think it is?

https://twitter.com/ABC7George/status/654003251730247680

That's... pretty gross.

Carlos freaked me out last night when he was in his pre-dance package talking about how he was jealous of Whitney dancing with another man. His eyes flashed and there was a passing look of strong anger on his face when he made that comment, just before he laughed it off.

• Love 1

Carlos freaked me out last night when he was in his pre-dance package talking about how he was jealous of Whitney dancing with another man. His eyes flashed and there was a passing look of strong anger on his face when he made that comment, just before he laughed it off.

And there was his comment about "another good-looking dude with his hands all over my wife" ...

Have these people never watched the show??  "I'm not comfortable dancing like this with someone who isn't my husband"... "his hands all over my wife"...

This is what the show is like, people.  This is what you signed up for.

• Love 2

I think the dynamic within the dance partnerships with the PenaVegas must be challenging...so in that sense I don't envy Witney and Mark at all. And IMO you see the strain on both of them a bit this season. I actually feel worse for Witney tbh. Mark is rather open about his feelings, he'll bite back and say his piece if something bothers him and if that doesn't help he shrugs his shoulders and takes a step back and out of the situation. I'm not sure such a thing is possible with Carlos and Witney IMO has a bit of a problem establishing authority with younger males to begin with.

• Love 1

And there was his comment about "another good-looking dude with his hands all over my wife" ...

Have these people never watched the show??  "I'm not comfortable dancing like this with someone who isn't my husband"... "his hands all over my wife"...

This is what the show is like, people.  This is what you signed up for.

Sounded like a joke to me, nothing more.  I had more of a problem with him calling Golden Boy good-looking, lol.

• Love 1

I think the dynamic within the dance partnerships with the PenaVegas must be challenging...so in that sense I don't envy Witney and Mark at all. And IMO you see the strain on both of them a bit this season. I actually feel worse for Witney tbh. Mark is rather open about his feelings, he'll bite back and say his piece if something bothers him and if that doesn't help he shrugs his shoulders and takes a step back and out of the situation. I'm not sure such a thing is possible with Carlos and Witney IMO has a bit of a problem establishing authority with younger males to begin with.

Not only the dance partnerships, I think we're getting some peeks at the dynamic within the PenaVega's marriage.  First I saw the IG video of Carlos pulling his leg out from supporting Witney, dropping her on the floor and then laughing about it. We've seen him "jokingly?" comment on Mark and then Derek putting "their hands all over my wife".  We've seen a flash of anger/jealousy (?) over Witney dancing with another guy for the switch.  Alexa has a triumphant moment (perfect score) and he suggests it's time for her to get pregnant. There's a whole lot of passive/aggressiveness in this guy. He's giving me the creeps. 

I think Alexa's shakey self-confidence and sense of being a whole person separate from her husband is becoming more understandable.  I don't know if she was this way before she married Carlos, but even if she was, he's not helping.  Apparently Derek gave Alexa a pep talk with affirmations and "I AM's". Wonder how long that will last.

Witney IMO has a problem establishing authority with males regardless of age, unless they are inclined to respect her role as teacher-in-charge anyways.

• Love 2

Carlos is probably getting the stereotypical "macho Hispanic man" edit. I wouldn't put it past Rob Wade. The guy can dance and he finally got the scores he deserves. As for Witney, she has always been annoying except when she was paired with Alfonso. They were magic together.

I think Alexa's shakey self-confidence and sense of being a whole person separate from her husband is becoming more understandable. I don't know if she was this way before she married Carlos, but even if she was, he's not helping. Apparently Derek gave Alexa a pep talk with affirmations and "I AM's". Wonder how long that will last.

It's sadder in a sense when you remember that this is Alexa's second marriage.

They've been married less than a year, and I feel like she's too caught up in making this one work at all costs.

As for Carlos, I feel like he tries too hard at everything. Even if you watch the press line interviews, he's constantly mugging and interrupting other couples in the general vacinity.

I can't tell if it's desperation to recapture whatever momentum he had Week 1, or if he genuinely has no self awareness of how he comes across.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 1

Sounded like a joke to me, nothing more.

It seemed to me like one of those situations where someone says something they do mean but try to hide it behind "ha ha just kidding".  It's not just the one thing, but the pattern of things mentioned above.

I really don't think Carlos is getting any sort of macho edit, if anything he's getting a, "Isn't he so fun and funny?" edit, and Alexa is getting the brunt of it with, "Why can't she be more confident and focused?" The things that are tripping my (and other's) red flag senses are much more subtle and under the surface, and put out there through venues that are not the show's editing team. I can't even point to one that makes me go, that specifically is terrible, its a pattern and a sense of an undercurrent to things he's doing, combined with how Alexa seems to kowtow to him whenever they're together. It trips a, "this doesn't feel healthy," spidey sense. Like, yes, if he and Alexa are thinking of having a baby that's a totally normal relationship thing to talk about. To drop that as soon as she garners some triumph greater than his own? Feels emotionally manipulative and gross. I hope I'm wrong, for Alexa's sake. 

• Love 4

"spidey sense", great way to put it!

Like, yes, if he and Alexa are thinking of having a baby that's a totally normal relationship thing to talk about. To drop that as soon as she garners some triumph greater than his own? Feels emotionally manipulative and gross.

A reminder of "her place"...

• Love 2

I don't know much about this couple I admit, but I doubt they would really air their marital bliss (or lack of it) on DWTS. I'm pretty sure their schtick is scripted. At least dwts could get more original. Sigh!

No, it doesn't sound like kidding at all. She seemed to be teling that story as a funny example of how much she really wanted to be there, not as a joke about Carlos being competitive. Sounds like he was really surprised she'd even want to be on the show any more if he lost. I hope the fact that other people are daring to encourage her in the thought that she's a person on her own is sinking in.

I hate this guy. Hate him. First time I realized I hated him was when he told his partner Witney she was dumb. Then he was supposed to lift her and he said "can you not eat?" Then he got the switch-up with Lindsay and made fun of how dumb he thought SHE was. What a total asshole this guy is. I don't know who likes him or how he is getting by every week when he is so openly rude towards his partner(s). Alexa seems like a dim bulb (not sure if she actually is) which means they probably have a similar dynamic in their relationship. My guess is Carlos is not particularly smart, but he's smart enough to know it, so he lashes out at others to feel more secure in his (lack of) intelligence.

• Love 4