Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Nick Carter: As Long As You Love Him

• Start Topic

Week 10. Got shaken up by the package, and ahead of the music a bit. Sharna stopped him for 2 seconds ahead of what was already planned choreo to stop him anyways to get him to relax. Every judge taking off 2 points was utter BS. 

Eh, that was a bigger mistake than ahead of the music a bit - it was ahead of the music and ahead of Sharna, which caused their feet to look almost tangled together and the entire movement was jerky back and forth for a huge, obvious, pass in front of the judges. It was unfortunate, I would have been more irritated if they gave him 9s, same as a completely clean dance from Bindi. As I see it, the judges have three paddles to choose from at this stage in the game.

9: did what you were supposed to do, danced it clean. (Everyone in the semifinals starts with a 9 as a baseline.) 

10: (+1) this is my chance to deploy OVER THE TOP AAAAAAAAH antics to express the hyperbole of how much I loved it. 

8: (-1) ah, sorry, pretty major issues I can't ignore. (They won't go lower than this unless there's someone they really don't want to be there)

So IMO Nick deserved that -1 off the baseline, leaves him with 8s. 

• Love 1

Ah gotcha. I see other people do that too and it never occurs to me, because as odd as the judging often is, I don't get the feeling they conspire together to work out a total score - it seems like the judges each pick their own. I could be wrong, I suppose.

I don't think CED9 meant that the problems with the tango were that he was ahead, but that Sharna had already choreographed a pause in the middle of the routine and that after things got messy she had him stop earlier than intended to regroup.

What impressed me most about the problems with that dance was how he handled it. They stopped, reset, and continued on. You could tell Nick knows the rules of performing - roll with it, get it together, sell it, and move on. (Charlie White was the same way.) I would rather watch a hundred mess ups with someone like Charlie or Nick then watch someone struggle with the regroup and make it cringey.

I feel like Sharna and Nick's partnership is among the more real that we've seen in a long time. I think pros and celebs get comfortable and supportive, but for some reason theirs seems above normal. I like that.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 5

I also agree that Nick has had memorable dances and is worthy of winning.  I really liked his Viennese waltz, jazz, samba, and contempory.  This Monday was the only week that I remember where he really messed up.  Some dances might not have been great but they weren't terrible.  However, dance is subjective.  One of the posts said that Nick has not had any memorable dances and listed Bindi's memorable ones.  I remember not liking some of Bindi's chosen favorites like her Grace Kelly tribute dance or her Halloween one.  There might have been more but I remember those two as being listed and they were not good.

I think Nick is a beautiful dancer. I went back and watched a few of his previous dances, and I still love the Downton Abbey waltz and the contemporary from the baby-announcement week. I didn't love the Halloween tango; to me, there was just something off about it. 

But his behavior toward Tamar is what pushed him over the top for me. He just made every effort to be there for her, apparently without regard to what it would mean for his own scores, and that's real sportsmanship. And it makes me think he'll probably be a pretty good dad too. And again, this is coming from someone who expected to dislike Nick at the beginning of the season.

• Love 4

Nick totally gapped out on the Tango and it happens. He's still very much in this.  Brooke Burke totally fucked up her jive,  Jennifer Grey blew her Paso,  they still won.

Edited by Andie1

Soooo I per-ordered Nick's new album today (not sure what to expect). But tbh, I'm more excited about AJ's new solo project especially after hearing the live acoustic version of his new single...that man can sing (it helps to have a great voice). I read that it was Sharna who asked AJ to compete in DWTS and he might do it next fall. After the last couple of weeks, not sure if I can handle another season #toomuchdrama

Edited by Brownie
  • Love 1

Soooo I per-ordered Nick's new album today (not sure what to expect). But tbh, I'm more excited about AJ's new solo project especially after hearing the live acoustic version of his new single...that man can sing (it helps to have a great voice). I read that it was Sharna who asked AJ to compete in DWTS and he might do it next fall. After the last couple of weeks, not sure if I can handle another season #toomuchdrama

AJ would be so sassy. He'd give the most quotable package, and he's a great dancer. I'm so hft. (Super excited for their solo stuff too!)

100% agreed with most people: Nick's had a few slip ups, but who hasn't? Seriously irks that Julianne straight up told Bindi she didn't see anything wrong with her dance(s) one night, but Nick gets shredded. I disagree with someone in the other thread who said he hasn't had any "wow" moments. I know that's subjecive, but that contemporary and his waltz were incredible. His waltz might be my favorite of the season. It's definitely the one I think of first. 

However, didn't he say a couple episodes ago that he didn't want to be on the show anymore? Or am I misremembering things? 

• Love 1

I thought someone quoted him as saying he wasn't sure he wanted to make it to the end because he was tired, something like that. When I read the comment I remember thinking maybe it had been misinterpreted. After working so hard for so long, I would think he might feel like he wanted to rest because of tiredness, but I think he is one who would definitely want to win, not go home.

My sense from watching the show for years is that a lot of them have moments of wanting to leave, especially during the first few weeks when they experience how hard it is and how many hours they have to rehearse. By week 8 most of them want to win no matter what.

Of course, I'll never forget Bill Engvall's statement when he was eliminated the first night of finals, "Now I know there IS a god because I couldn't have danced one more dance."

From Trios Night Thread:

I did not know that BSB is still active.  I'm sure the fanbase may be fierce and loyal, but safe to say probably lower in numbers than when they were the young phenoms of the 90's, they'd be in One Direction territory and I doubt that's the case. Are there enough numbers to surpass a Derek Hough surge when he's arguably one of the "stars" of this show and he has the judges in his corner with a particular bias from his "ballroom expert" sister?  I don't know and I don't think the fans of Nick and Sharna should test it. I think they should go hard on the vote because anything can happen.

His waltz might be my favorite of the season.

Yeah,  it's my favorite it was a Viennese(fast) Waltz actually which must have been so difficult for Sharna to choreograph since the music is not in VW tempo but is so well known to Downton audiences that it just had to be in there.  I loved the opening sequences, that's how you use a troupe, not as dancers interfering with the contestant dancing, but as bit players in a movie.  I thought it was really grand how Nick was able to embody the persona of a Mathew Crawley to Sharna's Lady Mary and it was evident right through his posture.  His best dance. 

For the "new unlearned dance"  he has either Rumba or the (slow) Waltz and I think since his contemporary had a kind of rumba feel and the VWaltz was so good these are good choices for him.   If he has to re-dance something, I hope it's the Argentine Tango.  Take away all the goop from Halloween and a better focus he should improve on this.

Sharna needs to bring the creativity she did with Downton for these last dances. If she can do it, then he's got a good chance.

Edited by Andie1

From Trios Night Thread:

I did not know that BSB is still active. I'm sure the fanbase may be fierce and loyal, but safe to say probably lower in numbers than when they were the young phenoms of the 90's, they'd be in One Direction territory and I doubt that's the case. Are there enough numbers to surpass a Derek Hough surge when he's arguably one of the "stars" of this show and he has the judges in his corner with a particular bias from his "ballroom expert" sister? I don't know and I don't think the fans of Nick and Sharna should test it. I think they should go hard on the vote because anything can happen.

They are definitely not in One Direction territory but their last tour (in 2014) made the list of top 50 worldwide tours coming in ahead of Keith Urban, Phish, Demi Lovato, Enrique Iglesias with Pitbull, Blake Shelton, John Legend, Lady Antebellum and a bunch of others. They are doing all right. I do think a large chunk of their fan base is in Europe and I have no idea if those folks are putting in the effort to vote for him though.

If he has to re-dance something, I hope it's the Argentine Tango

In the past when there's been Switch Up, the finale redo has been what the celebs Switch Up style was. I wouldn't hate that, because I LOVE Sharna's Paso Doble's.

Yeah,  it's my favorite it was a Viennese(fast) Waltz actually which must have been so difficult for Sharna to choreograph since the music is not in VW tempo but is so well known to Downton audiences that it just had to be in there.  I loved the opening sequences, that's how you use a troupe, not as dancers interfering with the contestant dancing, but as bit players in a movie.  I thought it was really grand how Nick was able to embody the persona of a Mathew Crawley to Sharna's Lady Mary and it was evident right through his posture.  His best dance. 

For the "new unlearned dance"  he has either Rumba or the (slow) Waltz and I think since his contemporary had a kind of rumba feel and the VWaltz was so good these are good choices for him.   If he has to re-dance something, I hope it's the Argentine Tango.  Take away all the goop from Halloween and a better focus he should improve on this.

Sharna needs to bring the creativity she did with Downton for these last dances. If she can do it, then he's got a good chance.

I also loved the Viennese Waltz. I rewatched that one several times. I wish it had been later in the season so the dance would have been longer, though. It was like getting a small taste of an amazing treat and not being able to finish it. 

• Love 2

In the past when there's been Switch Up, the finale redo has been what the celebs Switch Up style was. I wouldn't hate that, because I LOVE Sharna's Paso Doble's.

Not every time. The season Alfonso won, they had switch up but their redo dances were straight rehashes - sets, costumes, choreography - of a dance they'd done before. I hope they learned not to do that again because it made the most boring first half of a finale ever. The only one I remember was Bethany redoing her week 1 dance, and that was only because the set malfunctioned and she almost tripped over it, and a stagehand had to run out and push it out of the way. Which was unfortunate but the only memorable thing that happened at all that round. I couldn't tell you what anyone else even danced.

I saw an interview with Lindsey and Alek and they said they were doing the rumba (switch up), but they were the only ones doing switch up dances. I haven't heard what Nick & Sharna have though.

Edited by kitcloudkicker

I also loved the Viennese Waltz. I rewatched that one several times. I wish it had been later in the season so the dance would have been longer, though. It was like getting a small taste of an amazing treat and not being able to finish it.

Wow, you got me thinking. What if their unlearned dance is a slow Waltz?  What if they did a return to Downton kind of theme, but change the characters or the costumes. I could see a WW1 idea,  he in a uniform, she in the Florence Nightengale nurse's gown. (So they're Sybil and Branson now, heh)  Amongst all the craziness of the war wounded in a make shift hospital, their eyes meet and they take the moment to Waltz.   Anybody ever hear the sorrowful violin music that was part of Ken Burn's Civil War? That's a gorgeous slow waltz in correct tempo.  That could be a beautiful tribute... make it more American than British, make it more Civil war themed in costume as well.   

Edited by Andie1

It's Waltz or Rumba. I think he would do well at both. I do think I would prefer Rumba over Waltz in a finale, though. It has the opportunity to standout more, IMO.

That's why I'm hoping his redo is Jive or any of the faster dances really.

A correct Rumba doesn't necessarily make the male stand out, but if it goes more lyrical contemporary, yeah I can see that, although he does get into character so well for Waltz.  

As far as the redo is concerned, I never saw the Jive the first time,  I just watched it, he slipped but that was a great recovery,  I thought it was actually part of the choreo.  So to compete against the others it's probably a good bet to Jive.  It seems to be in the wheelhouse of a good dance for him.  

Edited by Andie1

Yeah, he was supposed to grab the camera and spin it over to them.

And then we found out in their post show interviews that the music was cued in the wrong place (first 4 counts missing) so they started their dance 12 counts into the choreo. Couldn't tell, though.

• Love 1

AJ would be so sassy. He'd give the most quotable package, and he's a great dancer. I'm so hft. (Super excited for their solo stuff too!)

THIS. . . I would so enjoy watching AJ compete. I think he's a good solo dancer but watching him with a partner would be interesting. Plus he's full of s$$t most of the time and you never know what's going to come out of his mouth (most of us old school BSB fans are used to AJ's tall tales lol)

• Love 2

Clearly S19 left zero impression on me. I don't remember that at all. LOL.

Hmm. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind seeing them Jive again.

I don't blame you, it was so boring. It was when they had all the dances up on Youtube too, and I just remember thinking, "If I wanted to watch these again...I'd just look them up and watch them again." If they're doing it that way again for some reason, I'll know which part of the show to skip. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1

Tommy Chong and his partnership with Peta was a nice surprise as was Sadie and Mark to a lesser extent, otherwise it was definitely a season of Alfonso getting a new start on his career.

They are definitely not in One Direction territory but their last tour (in 2014) made the list of top 50 worldwide tours coming in ahead of Keith Urban, Phish, Demi Lovato, Enrique Iglesias with Pitbull, Blake Shelton, John Legend, Lady Antebellum and a bunch of others. They are doing all right. I do think a large chunk of their fan base is in Europe and I have no idea if those folks are putting in the effort to vote for him though.

Early in their career, Europe was their biggest market. But after they debuted their American album in 1997, the US became their main market. Majority of their concerts were/are in North America.  However, their international fans seemed more passionate though.

A breakdown of their last world tour (shows):

North America: 82

Europe: 46

Asia: 30

South America: 10

Australia/New Zealand: 5

Middle East: 3

They had the most success globally in the 90s/early 2000s followed by Westlife (popular everywhere except the USA). N'Sync was big in America, but wasn't as popular internationally.  Not sure if BSB still holds the 1st week international sale record, but their Black&Blue album sold 5 million copies. Shortly afterwards, they went into hiatus and their fanbase took a dive.  N'Sync holds the American 1st week sale record at 2+ million copies. 

Their popularity is not what it was, far from their $300+ millions grossed tour in 2001 (though they never did finish that tour because of 911 attack) but they are doing pretty decent for a bunch of guys in their 30s/40s.  Their fans are not teenagers anymore so I don't think they are really into these types of stuff (voting)...majority of them are moms and are busy.

• Love 1

THIS. . . I would so enjoy watching AJ compete. I think he's a good solo dancer but watching him with a partner would be interesting. Plus he's full of s$$t most of the time and you never know what's going to come out of his mouth (most of us old school BSB fans are used to AJ's tall tales lol)

I might "face-palm" a lot and end up hurting myself.  If he competes, the forum needs to enable emojis to protect me from physical pain.

So they have old British X-Factor shows where I am, and they did a retrospective of Simon's favorite contestants, and One Direction was part of it.  I was interested to learn that this band started to get young girls following them from the first show and by the finals there were thousands following them. So Simon thought they were a lock for the finals.  But I was even more shocked to learn that after all that, they didn't make the finals.  They came in third and were sent packing. They've gone on to be the biggest selling act from that show in the show's history and as of November 2015 according to Forbes they are the 4th ranked highest paid celebrities in the world. 

Also, Floyd Mayweather, who was eliminated early in Season 5 (His partner was Karina Smirnoff) is the highest paid celebrity in the world.

http://www.forbes.com/celebrities/list/#tab:overall

Edited by Andie1

They had the most success globally in the 90s/early 2000s followed by Westlife (popular everywhere except the USA). N'Sync was big in America, but wasn't as popular internationally.  Not sure if BSB still holds the 1st week international sale record, but their Black&Blue album sold 5 million copies. Shortly afterwards, they went into hiatus and their fanbase took a dive.  N'Sync holds the American 1st week sale record at 2+ million copies. 

I am showing my crazy, competitive fangirl side here, but I still count BSB as truly having the American 1st week sales record. When Millennium initially broke that record, fans didn't have any sort of record-breaking in mind. It was just huge excitement for the new album and eagerness to buy it immediately. After that happened, the 'N Sync fans were determined to beat the BSB record and there was definite planning to do so....

Back to my adult self now.

• Love 2

So they have old British X-Factor shows where I am, and they did a retrospective of Simon's favorite contestants, and One Direction was part of it.  I was interested to learn that this band started to get young girls following them from the first show and by the finals there were thousands following them. So Simon thought they were a lock for the finals.  But I was even more shocked to learn that after all that, they didn't make the finals.  They came in third and were sent packing. They've gone on to be the biggest selling act from that show in the show's history and as of November 2015 according to Forbes they are the 4th ranked highest paid celebrities in the world. 

Also, Floyd Mayweather, who was eliminated early in Season 5 (His partner was Karina Smirnoff) is the highest paid celebrity in the world.

http://www.forbes.com/celebrities/list/#tab:overall

As long as God continues to create little girls, there will always be boybands/groups.  Yes I quoted the guy who stole millions from BSB, N'Sync, and countless others...he may be a crook but he is right.

That Mayweather-Pacquiao fight was so over-hyped...can't believe they made that much money.

I am showing my crazy, competitive fangirl side here, but I still count BSB as truly having the American 1st week sales record. When Millennium initially broke that record, fans didn't have any sort of record-breaking in mind. It was just huge excitement for the new album and eagerness to buy it immediately. After that happened, the 'N Sync fans were determined to beat the BSB record and there was definite planning to do so....

Back to my adult self now.

I wonder what the N'Sync fans did with the extra cds.  I remember reading about one fan who bought 200 copies :o  And if it makes you happy, the more important stat imo is the overall sales record and Millennium outsold No Strings Attached even in the US (according to the Nielsen SoundScan data).

Is this good or bad? Don't remember Nick's scores.

Also Nick will sing on Tuesday http://www.justjaredjr.com/2015/11/20/get-the-scoop-on-the-dancing-with-the-stars-season-21-two-night-finale/

Good for Nick, I think, as his slip last week put him in the bottom, and combining puts him ahead of Alek and only just behind Carlos. In judges scores at least, and I think "jeopardy" last week should help with votes. Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1

Are we getting, Kevin, AJ, Howie, and Brian involved? Because if Sharna does, I don't even care if Nick wins. It'll be my favorite dance of the season. Heck, it might be my favorite freestyle of the series. (Though Drew's "Save A Horse" will always be up there.) 

... or they could go an all-inclusive boyband theme and get some N'Sync-ers, maybe some NKOTB, maybe some 98* (and they all have DWTS alum, soo...!). Sharna's got a goldmine of boyband possibilities. I mean, without milking the theme for all it's nostalgia-worth ... it would just be reminiscent of their jazz which might be a little disappointing.

Someone said her original song didn't clear? Who do TPTB clear it with? The record label? After all of the stuff with Lou Perlman went down, who owns the rights for BSB's songs? Because if they just needed the Boys to clear a BSB song's use that might explain why we'd get two BSB songs for Nick this season.

• Love 1

I don't believe the record label has a say nor does the artist. I'm pretty sure its the songwriters who own the rights to songs. If multiple people own the rights (like say there are 3-4 writers on a song) sometimes clearance issue can be messy and that could have been the case with what didnt clear.  Now in the case of Larger Than Life I wanna say that's a Max Martin song and he's pretty good with clearing songs for TV.

I said during Alfonso's season after he busted out The Carlton that he would have the mirrorball easily in the bag if he did the Apache Dance from the Fresh Prince for his Freestyle..he did. I said at the beginning of this season if Nick did a freestyle to a BSB and included the guys I could see him pulling off the win.

I'm pretty sure its the songwriters who own the rights to songs. If multiple people own the rights (like say there are 3-4 writers on a song) sometimes clearance issue can be messy and that could have been the case with what didnt clear.  Now in the case of Larger Than Life I wanna say that's a Max Martin song and he's pretty good with clearing songs for TV.

According to Wikipedia, Larger than Life was written by Max Martin, Kristian Lundin, and Brian Littrell. (The musical video apparently cost $2.1 million dollars to make, making it one of the most expensive music videos ever.)

Also, some quick Google-fu search returned a quick and dirty primer on music clearance (but IANAL) - if I understand correctly, you need more than 1 license. You need a sync license from the publisher to include the composition and a master-use license from the record label to use a specific recording. So they'd need permission from the copyright holder (Martin/Ludin/Litrell) to even use the song, but also permission from Jive records (I assume Jive still holds the rights to the pre-"In A World Like This" stuff?) to use the original Backstreet Boys version of the song.

My guess is that's why they use the in-house band for a lot of stuff, because then they'd only need the sync license, because they're creating their own version of the song. It would also give them flexibility to cut and time things to DWTS lengths and play with tempo and meter if they needed.

Since I only know the BSB  for a couple of hits, just for shitz and giggles I looked up the lyrics to Larger than Life, and it's really a love letter to the fans, I know it's not news to them, but it was to me .   That's pretty nice, and a very good choice for the Freestyle. Good Luck Nick. Despite the odds, maybe a nice guy will finish first.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

So I'm reading that his re-do is the Jive, and he and Sharna had Julianne to help so that's cool, she's a good jiver.   His Freestyle is definitely BSB as some mentioned if the guys joining in at some point that could be all kinds of good. 

Hopefully he got a bump from perceived bottom or he's going home Monday.

Tuesday the second night dances are  throw aways because the votes are already in for the first night, but if the show wanted to have a certain outcome they have the opportunity to work the scores.

He'll most likely do the Contemporary from week 8 as their favorite dance, but the fusion is a mystery.

Edited by Andie1

Since I only know the BSB  for a couple of hits, just for shitz and giggles I looked up the lyrics to Larger than Life, and it's really a love letter to the fans, I know it's not news to them, but it was to me .   That's pretty nice, and a very good choice for the Freestyle. Good Luck Nick. Despite the odds, maybe a nice guy will finish first.

Translation: Fans go vote! lol

• Love 1

Nick said on Facebook was one of his most memorable moments was dancing Viennese Waltz, and if that's the one they do again on Tuesday night, that's cool with me.  It was a gorgeous dance, I preferred it to the Contemporary, but either dance would be representative of his season.

or they could go an all-inclusive boyband theme and get some N'Sync-ers, maybe some NKOTB, maybe some 98* (and they all have DWTS alum, soo...!).

That would be epic - Nick did write a movie which he and several BSB'ers as well as some other boy band folks are starring in (Dead West - a western-themed horror parody style movie, think Sharknado with zombies and boy banders dressed as cowboys). I believe Joey Fatone is in it among others.