Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Nick Carter: As Long As You Love Him

• Start Topic

NICK CARTER The singer, songwriter and actor sparked his career at the tender age of 12 as the youngest member of the iconic boy band Backstreet Boys, which has sold over 130 million records worldwide and earned five Grammy nominations. Carter was named one of People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People in the World," has released two solo albums, and starred with his fiancé in the VH1 reality series, I Heart Nick Carter. PRO DANCE PARTNER: SHARNA BURGESS

Also a Backstreet Boy!

nick.jpg

A REAL Backstreet Boy on the show! FINALLY! The preteen in me is also screaming and rejoicing. As a BSB fangirl, I am so beyond happy and I've wanted this for soooo long (seriously I've already creepily choreographed intricate dances to "The Call" and "Everybody (Backsteet's Back)" in my head).

I wanted Kevin or AJ but Nick will do (I don't recall being impressed by the BSB as dancers but his nae nae didn't exactly make me want to vomit like some of the others).

I hope he does well and gets a great partner (so pretty much anyone but Allison please). Can't wait to see the boys supporting him in the audience and I'm sure he'll get to dance to one of their hits. *Squee*

Edited by CurbUrEnthusiasm
  • Love 5

(I don't recall being impressed by the BSB as dancers but his nae nae didn't exactly make me want to vomit like some of the others).

Haha, he's already a better dancer than his brother was.

Please, please ... don't make his partner Allison!

Whether it's intentional or not, they've done a pretty bad job hiding that Sharna is his partner.

Yuck! This is the second contestant that I was interested in who has been ruined because of their partner.  

Yuck! This is the second contestant that I was interested in who has been ruined because of their partner.

Different strokes. She and Emma are the only tolerable pros as far as I'm concerned. They actually know how to check their egos at the door and not whine and beg for a stupid plastic trophy and give their celebs a good experience regardless of their talent.

• Love 1

I'm okay with Sharna as a pro. I do think I would like to see her challenge her pro a bit more, though - I thought she was given a gimmie with Charlie White but I was largely underwhelmed by their dances. They all seemed to blend after awhile. I'm just not sure if that was his fault or hers. I did think she did a great job with Andy Dick, though, so she's capable.

I think she should do decently well with Nick, though.

Edited by McManda

I thought she was given a gimmie with Charlie White

LOL, no. They felt comfortable crapping on her and Charlie to build up Maks (notice how I didn't say Meryl). Sharna actually challenged Charlie, M/M not so much.

Again, your prerogative. And this is off topic. LOL.

So, Nick to me was always the worst dancer in BSB, but time seems to have been good to him. Unpopular opinion, I always preferred Howie out of all of them. But I always preferred Lance in NSYNC, so I seem to go against the grain.

Unpopular opinion, I always preferred Howie out of all of them.

Move over, Howie was and still is my favorite. 

Nick is a major head case, so I think Sharna will do wonders for him but will have her work cut out for her.

• Love 1

I think Nick has this in the bag unless he has a bad attitude. He and Bindi (because of her dad) have the nostalgia factor going, and he is probably a better dancer than her. Boy banders from the 90s almost always do well on DWTS. 

• Love 1

I think Nick has this in the bag unless he has a bad attitude. He and Bindi (because of her dad) have the nostalgia factor going, and he is probably a better dancer than her. Boy banders from the 90s almost always do well on DWTS. 

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. He's absolutely right for the demo, he should be good dance-wise, there's no one else super outstanding in the rest of the cast. Carlos might be perhaps better as a dancer, but he'll lose some votes due to boyband vote splitting and he's more known to a younger demo that's not as interested in the show. Unless Nick's personality somehow proves problematic for the audience (not even unlikable, just not what they're looking for) or his dancing is much weaker than expected. Interested what Sharna does with him. I think she did good with Andy Dick and Noah. I'm in the camp that thinks she mishandled Charlie a bit, she gave him stuff that was a bit samey at times and was too much for him so he couldn't properly execute it. Of course TPTB also threw him under the bus, but IMO they only started doing that once it became clear he wasn't generating the votes and excitement they wanted. I don't know if that pairing not being as great as it could have been was more on Charlie or Sharna, but IMO something was lacking. Will be fascinating to see how she handles another highly capable partner.

Edited by katha

Kevin was my guy in BSB. Lance was my guy in NSYNC. What can I say? I like the ones who rarely (if ever) sing or dance.

Nick was my second favorite BSB. I think he has a good start with fans. The worst thing about him is just that he used to date Paris Hilton. But we were all stupid in 2004.

• Love 4

Kevin was my guy in BSB. Lance was my guy in NSYNC. What can I say? I like the ones who rarely (if ever) sing or dance.

Nick was my second favorite BSB. I think he has a good start with fans. The worst thing about him is just that he used to date Paris Hilton. But we were all stupid in 2004.

Paris Hilton is flaky but she has a good heart. She does a lot for animals. I'm not really a fan of Nick, but I think the stars are aligned for him to win, as long as he and Sharna play their cards right.

O/T Kevin could dance. He's married to a former dancer(Rockettes/Cher) and they both taught social Ballroom before BSB took off. Kevin and Lance were considered the bass element of their group so they didn't get a lot of leads. Lance has a really deep singing voice. Kevin has a smooth voice but doesn't have the most power. The Backstreet Boys did a lot of choreography but I wouldn't call Nick close to a ringer but maybe in this season where there is few contestants who do choreography or has a dance background.

Here's a video that shows how Nick moves recently

Nick is a major head case, so I think Sharna will do wonders for him but will have her work cut out for her.

I don't know. Nick has seemed to mellow out since he got sober. Seems much happier.

• Love 1

Kevin was my guy in BSB.

Move over - me too. Saw the man close up years ago and he's just amazingly handsome and nice to boot. I always thought AJ would be awesome on DTWS but apparently he has bum knees these days (heard that on the BSB documentary)

My hope is that Nick doesn't try so hard that he gets that smell of desperation that Aaron got after a while. Plus the costumes are going to crack me up. And they'll have to keep the censor button handy during the rehearsals cos Nick can have quite the potty mouth. 

Wow, that was cheesy dancing. (I say that with love.) I wouldn't call it in the same realm of ballroom dancing, though, so Nick's going to have his work cut out for him there.

From what I remember about Aaron, he wasn't the smoothest dancer. I seem to remember his upper body being super stiff, which made him look awkward in the latin dances. He was a little too Riverdance where his legs did all the moving and that was it. Nick seems more relaxed (but whether or not that sticks with him during DWTS) and less awkward of a dancer. He's got the advantage in that he's used to putting something akin to choreography to music, so he should have some kind of rhythm.

For anyone else that has seen the BSB documentary ... was it Nick that was always a little behind in learning the choreography? (I know for their "A World Like This" tour they didn't have a lot of time to put the show together.) That could potentially be an issue.

But mostly I'm hoping DWTS pulls the in-show promo and has BSB perform at some point.

• Love 1

For anyone else that has seen the BSB documentary ... was it Nick that was always a little behind in learning the choreography? (I know for their "A World Like This" tour they didn't have a lot of time to put the show together.) That could potentially be an issue.

I think it was always pretty much a tie between Nick & Brian as far as struggling with choreography.

But mostly I'm hoping DWTS pulls the in-show promo and has BSB perform at some point.

Me too. I'm such a fan of the Boys - this is the most excited I've been for DWTS in like, 4 seasons. It helps that Sharna's one of my favorite pros too.

• Love 1

Perhaps having just one (or two depending on the week) dances and having the choreography drilled over and over for a minute and a half dance will be easier for him than a tour show's worth of choreography to full songs. Who knows?

My hope is that Nick doesn't try so hard that he gets that smell of desperation that Aaron got after a while. Plus the costumes are going to crack me up. And they'll have to keep the censor button handy during the rehearsals cos Nick can have quite the potty mouth.

They probably already had the censors raring to go since Sharna cusses like a sailor too. She mentioned on her Periscope that the livestreams last season helped her curb that though.

Edited by CED9

They probably already had the censors raring to go since Sharna cusses like a sailor too. She mentioned on her Periscope that the livestreams last season helped her curb that though.

Somehow that does not surprise me.  It does fit the crass image she portrays.

It is too bad that Nick is with her.

In what way?

Mainly Allison reeks of desperation, to me, to win. Peta and Witney have always seemed desperate to me in other ways. Trying too hard, or something.

With Allison and Whitney, they've come across that way to me since I saw them on SYTYCD. With Peta it's more insecurity.

I just feel like Sharna and Emma are more secure with themselves and that's why they aren't thrown a ringer every season, they don't seem to NEED to win to feel validated.

Again, different strokes!

Geez, I think they were a little hard on Nick C. Even with the slip, he was better than Alek or Hayes, whom the judges seem to love. He is a natural dancer, even with the mistakes. I sure hope they don't nitpick this guy off the show, like they did with Charlie White!

Edited by boyznkatz

Does Nick seem a little bit insecure? It's hard to imagine someone so successful, good looking, etc. having that problem but people who do sometimes let their need for acceptance/approval limit them. Getting in their "heads" is a sign of it. Not always of course. If it happens to be the case with him, I hope the show will help him overcome it.

I hate to admit it, especially on this thread, but I am completely unfamiliar with the BSB and only knew Nick's name from the Paris Hilton association. I know, embarrassing. But he seems so sweet and humble and I find him extremely appealing. It was interesting that he dedicated his dance last night to a high school teacher rather than a family member. Is there a family back story that I could read about somewhere?

Thanks.

Look up stories about his book
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nick+Carter+book+family&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS541US541&oq=Nick+carter+book&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j69i57j0l3.6777j0j9&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Nick has a lovely family but as a BSB fan I try to stay out of that drama. It's worse than Lance family drama ;)

You also have to remember that Nick has been an official Backstreet Boy since April 1993. He was 13 though he was actually 12 if you count when Nick, Aj, Howie and the 2 other blokes first got together ;)

• Love 1
Is there a family back story that I could read about somewhere?

They actually had a reality show at some point, House of Carters. Very dysfunctional family, and one of the sisters died after getting sober (or something similar). It just seems like the kids all raised each other and Nick was the responsible one. I could see why he isn't super confident. 

• Love 1

Does Nick seem a little bit insecure? It's hard to imagine someone so successful, good looking, etc. having that problem but people who do sometimes let their need for acceptance/approval limit them.

He's also had drug and alcohol problems which contributed to weight gains a few times.  And as others have stated, his relationship with his parents was not a good time. Aside from the book, you can try to find the documentary "Show Em What You Made Of" that should be on Netflix about the group.  I think the teacher mentioned yesterday was the same one featured in the movie. 

• Love 1

Plus there's the rumors of him being one of Lou Pearlman's "favorites." I can see where a dysfunctional family would make him a good target, and both events contributing to his lack of self-esteem.

Both he and Aaron have always had a brittle quality, to me.

• Love 1

Nick seems much less neurotic and much more open to receiving (and taking to heart) criticisms so he can improve than Aaron ever was. He also seems to be much more comfortable on stage, but I guess that comes with 20 years of being in the spotlight on stage.

Aaron was almost cringey to watch, especially in the end. I don't really see the same happening to Nick (but anything's still possible, I suppose). So far, Nick's much more enjoyable.

Sort of off topic, but the BSB documentary was really interesting. I'd recommend it to anyone that ever liked them. I didn't realize how awful Lou Pearlman was, or how much it really affected all of them.

I think he's still not as good as most predicted. I think we are in a pretty ringer-less season and because of his BSB background, he got branded the pre-season winner, when if he was in last season, he would be branded a semi-finalist at best with his dancing.

I still think he will place 3rd or 2nd though. Bindi's got better dancing and a more fun personality.

I think Nick's facial expressions should get some attention. I'm pretty sure he stuck his tongue out during his cha cha. During his jive he was selling the dance at first, then after the slip it looked like he was still thinking about the slip. Or it could have been part of selling the dance. Out of the foxtrots done so far, I think his was a little more darker. Could have been the music and the mood it created. Everyone else smiled in their foxtrot, didn't see one on Nick. Looked like Sharna had a small one when they did the side by side arm thing at the bottom of the steps. It looked like Nick made a "woosh" face when they did the arm circle thing after moving away from the steps (look at his mouth area, might be a little hard since its a wide angle shot). 

I think he had like a "battle face" during his foxtrot. Still loved it. Although I think using popular song helped (I think it was big, heard it all the time. Wasn't a fan of the rap verses). It's possible that his childhood, being the eldest and big brother played a role in his "battle face" and being protective of Sharna. Also, I'm pretty sure that the nods weren't part of the choreography. He gave Sharna a clear nod before she limbo waddled between his legs at the end of the jive.

Sorry if my thoughts aren't pieced together clearly.

Almost forgot, I think making 15 year old homesick (did he say he was homesick in his package? I forgot) Hayes tear a little can be considered doing a good job selling the emotion of the dance.

Edited by NoPlan

Thanks for the interesting information about Nick. I'll definitely look for the documentary. From all the pre-show excitement about him and not knowing any specifics at all, I couldn't have been more surprised. I think I was expecting him to dance like Alfonso and be sort of full of himself. Not the case at all.

Unpopular opinion, I always preferred Howie out of all of them.

Brian was my guy. That little hair whip he did in the "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" video pretty much ignited my gay puberty at 11 years old. I still find elfin-looking guys adorable as a result.

I'm just glad Nick seems like he's relatively stable now. His brother is a mess, and his sister is no longer with us, and those kinds of demons are not easy to live with.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Nick's new song "I Will Wait" is now out. Has anyone else checked it out? It's actually a really lovely and gorgeous song, and his voice sounds great in it!

And to keep this DWTS related, his waltz this week had me swooning the same way I did at the last Backstreet Boys concert I went to...which was last May. And I'm not ashamed of any of that!

• Love 2

So Nick is dancing to Everybody (Backstreet's Back) on Monday night ... but I'm wondering what style of dance he chose to go along with it.

There's been rumors that AJ's been around the studio, but no one knows if that's for support or ... to be in the routine? (Personally I'd like to see that saved for a freestyle ... if Aly can have the rest of her fellow gymnasts join her, Nick can have BSB!)

I will say I'm a little disappointed all the homages to BSB seem to be coming from "Everybody" - I would have expected at least a nod to I Want It That Way. ;)

• Love 1

Oh I'm ridiculously excited about "Everybody"!  I know for me "I Want It That Way" is probably the more sentimental choice considering the theme (and I think Quit Playing Games With My Heart was the bigger hit) but Everybody I consider more iconic in regard to BSB history if that makes any sense. If Nick really kills this dance and Sharna nails the choreography..I'm hoping she incorporates somehow the right amount of paying homage to BSB while not getting too cheesy..I think this could be a huge breakout moment for Nick.

First post...like several others, I was sucked into watching DWTS for the first time b/c of Nick lol. I usually avoid these type of shows b/c I think they are rigged.  So far the more I watched, the more it appeared that way but admittedly there were some fun & interesting dances.

So Nick will be doing the John Travolta's Saturday Night Fever routine to the Bee Gees' 1976 song You Should Be Dancing on Monday. Could be fun.

Interesting that Olivia Newton-John will be the guest judge this week.  Her daughter, Chloe Lattanzi, was filming with Nick in his movie "Dead 7" few months ago.

2B6BF62100000578-0-image-m-5_14398705169

Nick and Sharna performed the Everybody (Backstreet's Back) routine on the Ellen Show yesterday (clearer version than the one on DWTS).

Edited by Brownie
  • Love 4

From Sharna's blog http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/10/20/dwts-sharna-burgess-saturday-night-fever-blog-dancing-with-the-stars/

Next week is Halloween week, and Halloween is also Nick’s favorite holiday celebration…EVER! I can’t say much yet about our plans, but we are super excited about this one!!! There is also a team dance with pros and stars together next week which we’re looking forward to. I can’t say much about that either just yet, but know it’s going to be so epic, I can’t wait!!!

Too bad Nick already used the "Everybody" song. Not a really fan of that song tbh but I love costume themed music videos. Mimicking it for Halloween week would have been awesome.

And speaking of music, Nick just revealed a collaboration with Avril Lavigne

While at iHeartRadio HQ, Nick tells us about the new song exclusively:

"I talked to Avril about doing a collab together, and we became friends -- we were on tour together with the Backstreet Boys. She was into the idea, and she really liked it. She liked the song that I had written, and she put her vocals on the song, and it was really cool."

Nick also told us what the song is all about. He added:

"It's a really fun play on a couple. It's like a crazy stalker guy, but then i'm calling her a crazy stalker girl. And we're saying, 'You need to get over me,' and then she's like,'No, you need to get over me.' We're giving our own stories of the situation that had gone down in the song."

Read more: http://www.my1025.com/articles/trending-104650/omg-nick-carter-announces-collaboration-with-14050468/#ixzz3p9vnt671

Loved Avril so kinda excited about this.  I'm glad that it is a rock song.  My favorite BSB album is "Never Gone" (rock album) and Nick sounded great in it.  He is not even my favorite vocalist from the group (far from it).

• Love 1

Sharna Burgess’ ‘DWTS’ Blog: Nick Soared After Last-Minute Routine Changes

This week was a particularly challenging week with Nick having to have a day off to fly to NY for a performance with the Backstreet Boys, and having two dances – one of which he was the team leader – and he took that very seriously.

Nick put a lot of pressure on himself this week to be great, and he was. I really see how much he wants this; how much he wants to make the Backstreet Boys proud; how much he wants to make himself proud, and how much he wants to take this all the way to the end. As his coach and his pro partner, that really excites me, and me so proud of him.

Our Argentine Tango may not have been received well by the judges tonight, however he really did step up to the plate in such a difficult week. We had to change a lot of our choreography on Sunday because the bed of roses on our stage was so big, and I only had an hour to change that on him; so everything considered, Nick performed beautifully. He was so strong, he was calm, he didn’t forget one step, and took care of me every step of the way especially in that lift which was not easy. Even though our scores weren’t what Nick wanted, and he did get critiqued for the Argentine Tango, he came back ready to give his all for our team dance, and to be the team leader that he knew he should be. He rallied everybody together, he brought everybody in and really helped deliver the performance of the night.
Going into next week, Icons week, we have an awesome song, highlighting a wonderful icon that I can’t wait to tell the story about. We have contemporary for our style of dance, which I think is going to suit him beautifully. I’m going to drill him on his lines and his posture, and put to work all of the notes that Carrie Ann gave us because I know he wants to make her proud and I know that Nick is waiting for that moment when he turns around and she says, “You did it!”

Thanks again to all the fans for their amazing support, we are so grateful! #TeamSharnick

Xoxo,

Sharna

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/10/27/dwts-sharna-burgess-halloween-week-nick-carter-blog-dancing-with-the-stars/

• Love 1

Congrats to Nick and his wife.

Nick Carter, Wife Lauren Kitt Expecting First Child Together

Will it be a Backstreet Boy...or Girl? Nick Carter is expecting his first child with his wife, Lauren Kitt, a source confirms exclusively to Us Weekly. The fitness pro, whom Carter married in April 2014, is about four months pregnant.

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/nick-carters-wife-lauren-kitt-is-pregnant-20152710#ixzz3pov9rxDL