Type keyword(s) to search

Past Plots Discussion: Whatever Happened To...

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I understand your point of view..I feel that the person who got screwed over in soap terms was Roman...He was kidnapped by Stefano and put in a dungeon for seven years..While Marlena, his family and children lived and bonded with an impostor, living his life.....He lost time with them that he would never get back....For example: he was not there for Bo, when Hope died or Kimberly, when her son Andrew was kidnapped..John experienced all of those things..Once he came back to Marlena and the kids..He resented John for "stealing" his life.  I wished the show had explored that more, instead of putting Kristen in the middle of the Roman/Marlena/John triangle....I resented her presence...Once Roman established a relationship with the twins, he wanted another child with Marlena..She reluctantly agreed, even though she was checked out of the marriage, due to her growing attachment to John after Isabella's death and Roman's growing belligerent and overbearing attitude about His kids close bond with John, especially Carrie....He was anti Austin, while John who knew Carrie better than Roman, was pro Austin...

I think Roman was in denial about the depth of feelings between John and Marlena..He expected everything to go back as it was, before his disappearance..I think that John and Marlena were going to have an affair and Isabella's pregnancy with Brady, put a stop to that for a while....The scene in Mexico where Isabella told Roman about her pregnancy showed the relief that they both felt about the pregnancy...In their minds, that would keep John and Marlena away from one another...For a while, John and Marlena did try and forget each other with their partners and  they were happy..Until, Isabella got cancer and died.. Once the affair happened and then Marlena got pregnant with Belle..Roman believed that she was his daughter and loved her with all of his heart...Months later at her christening, his worst nightmare came true and Marlena confessed her infidelity in front of the whole town..How humiliating for Roman! Then he found out that his baby girl Sami witnessed John and Marlena having sex and that caused her to have an eating disorder to cope with that...Months later, he found out that Belle is not his daughter, but, his wife's lover John....Kristen was in town and she witnessed all of this drama that went down between all three..If she chose to get involved with John after all that, then that was on her..For me, and this if just my opinion, Roman lost everything and was screwed over by Jarlena and not Kristen...Roman turning dark to hurt them would have been more sympathetic and rooted in history...

The events at Maison Blanche was when Roman realized that Marlena would never love him the same way that she loved John..Her attempts at seducing Stefano, their mortal enemy,  who wreaked havoc in their lives, to save John's life,left no doubt that it was over between them...His life with his doc was an illusion...Their bond was forever broken and nothing would be, as it once was..I really felt bad for Roman....Sometimes in life, you can't go home again..Kristen deserved everything that she got...You cannot force somebody to love you....However, I do think her slow descent into evil was well done, it started with just a letter and Eileen rocked it....

Oh I totally agree with you there.  Roman has definitely been the one perpetually shafted in this scenario.  I always thought it would of been interesting to have Roman team with Kristen when she saved him.  I remember when Roman was pronounced dead and everyone was two seconds from mourning him except for Kristen.  She knew Roman was her only shot to keep John and Marlena apart and she wouldn't take no for an answer and actually did a really great thing by finding him after his pronounced death, transporting him back to the states and getting him medical attention. 

I think deep down Roman has always known he can't compete with John but every so often when Marlena has been separated from John it hasn't stopped Roman from trying to rekindle things with her.  As much as Roman dislikes Kristen for "using" him I thought the more interesting story would of been for him to either team up with Kristen or at least have the knowledge of what she was doing and sort of resign himself to turn a blind eye, because he may not have agreed with what she was doing, but she did save his life and was inadvertently helping him get back Marlena.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Oh I totally agree with you there.  Roman has definitely been the one perpetually shafted in this scenario.  I always thought it would of been interesting to have Roman team with Kristen when she saved him.  I remember when Roman was pronounced dead and everyone was two seconds from mourning him except for Kristen.  She knew Roman was her only shot to keep John and Marlena apart and she wouldn't take no for an answer and actually did a really great thing by finding him after his pronounced death, transporting him back to the states and getting him medical attention. 

I think deep down Roman has always known he can't compete with John but every so often when Marlena has been separated from John it hasn't stopped Roman from trying to rekindle things with her.  As much as Roman dislikes Kristen for "using" him I thought the more interesting story would of been for him to either team up with Kristen or at least have the knowledge of what she was doing and sort of resign himself to turn a blind eye, because he may not have agreed with what she was doing, but she did save his life and was inadvertently helping him get back Marlena.

I think Kristen and Roman joining forces together would have been interesting....Roman was truly shafted and he should have been able to express that...They could easily have said that he suffered from PTSD and that caused him to act out of character to redeem him....Roman was always a hothead and I can see him doing underhanded stuff...Imagine if he joined forces with Stefano as a willing pawn to destroy John.....

• Love 3

For me, the most interesting thing about the scenario of John/Marlena/Roman was that I as a big original Marlena and Roman fan, who was initially resistant to DH as Roman, actually resented WN's return as Roman.  I grew to love DH in the role and thought, and still think that he had both the best chemistry with Marlena and the Brady family.  DH IMO was truly an example of a successful recast.  I always thought he should have been revealed to be the real Roman once WN left for the second time, but hey, what the hell do I know.

I also thought it was interesting, but never really delved into (possibly because WN left) that Carrie in many ways seemed to prefer John, but much like Marlena, felt obligated to resume her relationship with Roman.  I have long suspected that this is part of the reason for Marlena's super close relationship with Carrie as they were kindred spirits in this matter.  I think this is also why Carrie was often shown to consider Belle her sister as well, even though they have no genetic link and were not raised as sisters in the traditional fashion.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

For me, the most interesting thing about the scenario of John/Marlena/Roman was that I as a big original Marlena and Roman fan, who was initially resistant to DH as Roman, actually resented WN's return as Roman.  I grew to love DH in the role and thought, and still think that he had both the best chemistry with Marlena and the Brady family.  DH IMO was truly an example of a successful recast.  I always thought he should have been revealed to be the real Roman once WN left for the second time, but hey, what the hell do I know.

I also thought it was interesting, but never really delved into (possibly because WN left) that Carrie in many ways seemed to prefer John, but much like Marlena, felt obligated to resume her relationship with Roman.  I have long suspected that this is part of the reason for Marlena's super close relationship with Carrie as they were kindred spirits in this matter.  I think this is also why Carrie was often shown to consider Belle her sister as well, even though they have no genetic link and were not raised as sisters in the traditional fashion.

I love your post...I think that is why Carrie was the first person to forgive Marlena for her affair with Roman...She understood her dilemma..I remember Christie Clark saying that John was Carrie's dad, period...Drake was  my first Roman and I loved him...I had to watch Wayne Northrup's Roman on youtube, to get to know his version...I think the show brought back Wayne to the show after Deidre, in their attempt to bring the ratings up, by capitalizing on the popularity of the original Roman/Marlena romance.. At the time, the show was struggling in the ratings race and they were at the bottom of the heap, nearing cancellation...The show and the audience had moved on from the original Roman/Marlena to Drake's version of Roman with Deidre...It is why John ended up the winner for Marlena's heart...I think that the show would have been much better with Drake staying as Roman....I think that retcon opened up Pandora's box for the show, because everything on the show, now became fair game to be retcon, at the writers' whim...Once the audience loses confidence in you, then, you are done...

• Love 5

I was fine with Wayne Northrop's return. Because I was never into RoJohn/Marlena (I know, minority!) and loved John/Isabella. (Her death was still so sad yet heartfelt and beautifully done! And I remember their wedding when she went into labor with Brady...)

Still, with that said, since Northrop ended up leaving again (then returned AGAIN as a new character - awful, but we won't discuss that!), yeah, John should have been "real" Roman, after all, with Northrop as a fake with his old face/look. But then his son's name would have been Brady Brady, so...

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I've actually always appreciated that all the children were raised as siblings, genetics or not.  I've always loved Carrie's relationship with John.  Even though she calls Roman dad, she has always regarded John as the man who raised her primarily.  Now if they only remember that Carrie was a part of the Dimera family too.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I've actually always appreciated that all the children were raised as siblings, genetics or not.  I've always loved Carrie's relationship with John.  Even though she calls Roman dad, she has always regarded John as the man who raised her primarily.  Now if they only remember that Carrie was a part of the Dimera family too.

I hope that they do remember that Carrie was once kidnapped by Stefano to lure Rojohn to his island...Plus, Carrie was super close to Tony who adored her...

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I hope that they do remember that Carrie was once kidnapped by Stefano to lure Rojohn to his island...Plus, Carrie was super close to Tony who adored her...

Was that the same kidnapping where he took Benji as well to punish Steve and Kayla?  I remember both Carrie and Benji being kidnapped together.  This particular time John was with Diana.  Needless to say whenever Stefano was mad at Tony/Anna/Roman/Marlena/John he would always use the threat of taking Carrie from them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

Was that the same kidnapping where he took Benji as well to punish Steve and Kayla?  I remember both Carrie and Benji being kidnapped together.  This particular time John was with Diana.  Needless to say whenever Stefano was mad at Tony/Anna/Roman/Marlena/John he would always use the threat of taking Carrie from them.

Yes, he corrupted Drew, Shane's shady twin brother into kidnapping Carrie, I guess it was as barter for his son Benji, Steve and Kayla had custody of him.. Either Drew or Stefano killed Benji's mother..I remember Carrie being fearless and standing up to Stefano....I always felt that Carrie should have been a detective, following in her dad's Rojohn's footsteps....The anvils were dropping at that time, that is what Carrie was going to be....Carrie as an attorney  never worked for me.. Her determination to expose Sami years later,  as a duplicitous schemer, reminded me of Roman's determination to expose Stefano for the criminal that he was and not the businessman, he purported to be.. The unintended consequence of that, was provoking Stefano's wrath on the Brady clan....

Speaking of Drew, I remember reading that the show was flirting with the idea of making Shane a bit shady, even a grey character...The anvils were dropping that Shane knew all along that Stefano had Roman and that John Black was Roman with an altered face, but, said nothing....However, the writers' strike happened and the scabs created Drew instead.....I am happy about that, because Shane's honesty was always an endearing trait of his, that balanced Kim's penchant, for lying, to cover up her messiness...lol  I always fanwanked that Sami's penchant for trouble came from her Aunt Kimberly...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Still, with that said, since Northrop ended up leaving again (then returned AGAIN as a new character - awful, but we won't discuss that!), yeah, John should have been "real" Roman, after all, with Northrop as a fake with his old face/look. But then his son's name would have been Brady Brady, so...

Well, aside from the fact that Brady could have been referred to by a middle or nickname like Sonny is, with people giving the duh look when they find out his first name; Brady having the ridiculous moniker of Brady Brady would be befitting the character's dimness.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

Well, aside from the fact that Brady could have been referred to by a middle or nickname like Sonny is, with people giving the duh look when they find out his first name; Brady having the ridiculous moniker of Brady Brady would be befitting the character's dimness.

True! Brady is the town idiot...It's a shame what they have done to Brady and all of the legacy children that Sheri Anderson created..I do believe that she had a plan for them all.....

• Love 2
5 hours ago, minirth said:

I just saw a piece of Will and Sonny's wedding -- when Caroline addressed the church.  WOW.  Peggy McKay KILLED IT.  She was amazing.  

Yes she did! I loved that period. The Sonny/Will romance is what brought me back to the show after a 7 year break.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2016 at 4:07 PM, Apprentice79 said:

True! Brady is the town idiot...It's a shame what they have done to Brady and all of the legacy children that Sheri Anderson created..I do believe that she had a plan for them all.....

I have to keep reminding myself of who their parents were/are after seeing these kids. Brady is the son of John and Isabella. Neither of which were ever as dumb. When it comes to Abby, daughter of Jack and Jennifer, I dont even know where to start. Not to mention Joey who was born to Steve and Kayla. Was there an alien abduction of brains and personalities with the new generation?

• Love 8
1 minute ago, mj2000 said:

I have to keep reminding myself of who their parents were/are after seeing these kids. Brady is the son of John and Isabella. Neither of which were ever as dumb. When it comes to Abby, daughter of Jack and Jennifer, I dont even know where to start. Not to mention Joey who was born to Steve and Kayla. Was there an alien abduction of brains and personalities with the new generation?

I love your post a thousand times...None of the legacy children will ever be as dynamic or engaging as their parents... What a shame!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I love your post a thousand times...None of the legacy children will ever be as dynamic or engaging as their parents... What a shame!

It really is! I keep thinking about what could have been or should have been with these kids. It's really sad and extremely disappointing to say the least!

• Love 1

I hope they turn Claire back into a sweetheart again. Before this Orpheus plot, I liked her.

Brady I've all but given up hope on. He's okay some of the time but he's been too consistently a Neanderthal. At least Shawn isn't totally ruined, right?

If we're listing ruined kid characters, it's only Ciara, Joey, Belle and Abigail...and Chase. It sucks, but it's not all of them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

I hope they turn Claire back into a sweetheart again. Before this Orpheus plot, I liked her.

Brady I've all but given up hope on. He's okay some of the time but he's been too consistently a Neanderthal. At least Shawn isn't totally ruined, right?

If we're listing ruined kid characters, it's only Ciara, Joey, Belle and Abigail...and Chase. It sucks, but it's not all of them.

I would add Theresa to that list..I know that she is beloved on this board..However, she tried to kill John twice.. Her characterization has never made any sense...Sami for all her faults, never plotted somebody's death like Theresa did...As a diehard Kim and Shane fan, it pains me to see that their only daughter is  so horrible...The only way to redeem her is, if we were to find out that Theresa was an alter of Jeannie's....Jeannie was traumatized due to an event in LA, that is connected to Kayla...Jeannie created an alternate personality, Theresa...it would explain her apathy towards the Brady family and her parents....

The other legacy children like Andrew Donovan, Sonny's brothers, Julie's son and grandson,Sarah Horton, Sandy Horton, and Noelle Curtis have been forgotten by the show..The ones that we have seen over the years like Eric, Will, Nick, Jeremy, Stefanie, Carrie and Max were tainted by horrific writing.....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

Yipes, I forgot she tried to inject him! :( Yeah, that sucked.

Look I'm glad they turned her arc around a year ago, and yes, I wish they'd explained her crazy better. But Jen saved her. She made you enjoy the character in spite of it all.

Jennifer Horton is ruined. So awful for so long and adulation instead of comeuppance.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Jennifer Horton is ruined. So awful for so long and adulation instead of comeuppance.

That is true..I cannot stand her and I was a diehard Jack/Jennifer fan.....I cannot stand her daughter and JJ is getting on my nerves, with his hypocrisy, when it comes to Chad..I wish somebody would sit him down and tell him about his grandfathers and their horrific past....

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Yipes, I forgot she tried to inject him! :( Yeah, that sucked.

I can't blame her for wanting to kill John, I've wanted to do that for years....no, decades.....

Everyone has their flaws!

• Love 1

Hope should just tell Aiden that she's worrying about her cousin's son and he needs to suck it.

Wow, they acknowledged that it was thought that Philip was Parker's son.  Is that the first time since JPL became Philip?

Chloe wants to avoid Deimos by moving in with Nicole?  Really?  And does she KNOW Deimos at all, thinking he's going to back off?

It was horrible of Deimos to try to compare his situation to Nicole's.

"Deimos just wanted a person to control."  Yeah, Chloe, that's about it.

That's rape, Aiden. Aren't Aiden and Hope still legally married?

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Wow, they acknowledged that it was thought that Philip was Parker's son.  Is that the first time since JPL became Philip?

They've alluded to it but never stated it directly.  Maybe because the idea of anyone, ever, believing any character JPL plays could reproduce human offspring is just too out there......

Still is!

• Love 2

Wow, they acknowledged that it was thought that Philip was Parker's son. 

So Philip was Parker's son, eh? Wow indeed ;)

Wouldn't put it past them, but that's the craziest SORAS yet!

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

Wait, what?  Theresa tried to inject John?  To kill him?  I don't recall this at all.  I def recall her attacking him with a fireplace poker for no good reason.  She's lucky to not be in jail for attempted murder.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, bannana said:

Wait, what?  Theresa tried to inject John?  To kill him?  I don't recall this at all.  I def recall her attacking him with a fireplace poker for no good reason.  She's lucky to not be in jail for attempted murder.

Yes, John was in a coma because of her and she went to the hospital to silence him, by injecting his IV, but, a nurse came in, before she could give him the lethal dosage...I have never liked her, due to my eternal love for her parents..Her so-called redemption was a joke and the writers threw Kim and Shane under the bus, to prop her trashy ass...Kim would never belittle Theresa's dreams of being a designer....Kim for all her flaws, always put others first,  to her detriment....It is how she lost her first daughter, Carly....Kim is a survivor of incest and sexual abuse. She worked tirelessly, with abused children, she knows what it is like to be hurting, ashamed, scared and alone...She would die, before willfully, hurting a child, especially, her kids..So, Theresa could fuck off and die, as far as I am concerned.....I am not a big fan of Sami, but, I will take her over Theresa, everyday of the week , and twice on Sundays...Theresa is beloved on this board, but, she is reviled on others. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2016 at 10:35 AM, Apprentice79 said:

That is true..I cannot stand her and I was a diehard Jack/Jennifer fan.....I cannot stand her daughter and JJ is getting on my nerves, with his hypocrisy, when it comes to Chad..I wish somebody would sit him down and tell him about his grandfathers and their horrific past....

Jack was a rapist. Harper was a psychotic murderer. Duke was a rapist, child abuser, and spousal abuser. Jennifer is a pill addict.  Failure was a psychotic adulteress. Oh yes JJ, your family is clearly the Salem version of the Vontrapp family. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, mj2000 said:

Jack was a rapist. Harper was a psychotic murderer. Duke was a rapist, child abuser, and spousal abuser. Jennifer is a pill addict.  Failure was a psychotic adulteress. Oh yes JJ, your family is clearly the Salem version of the Vontrapp family. 

Every family has their ups and downs....

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, boes said:

Every family has their ups and downs....

That's surly the truth. Its just when a character like JJ tries to come off like his family is above another when his has a less than perfect history, it really irritates me. Chad in all of his insanity really loved Failure. He really loves the baby. Hopefully JJ can grow up and ease up a bit.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, mj2000 said:

That's surly the truth. Its just when a character like JJ tries to come off like his family is above another when his has a less than perfect history, it really irritates me. Chad in all of his insanity really loved Failure. He really loves the baby. Hopefully JJ can grow up and ease up a bit.

Oh, I completely agree.  It's a quote from Katherine Hepburn in the Lion in Winter.  I agree they really are awful, and I want JJ to be better than that.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mj2000 said:

You forgot to mention that Steve was a hired thug....He tried to kill Shane, for Victor.. He scared the shit out of Kayla, to get her to leave Cleveland,  he took pleasure in doing that to Bo's sister..This was before he fell in love with her, of course....Emma who had kidnapped Andrew, was afraid that Kayla was going to found out that her nephew was there, so she hired Steve, to get Kayla out of town...Steve was part of the crew sent by Victor to kill Melissa and Peter.. Steve's redemption was also as great as Jack's...Sheri Anderson knew how to give her characters, whether they were protagonists or antagonists, layers and motivations that were sensical.. In the 80's it was about character and plot followed. Once JER took over in the 90's, after she left, it  was about plot and then molding the character to tie to the plot. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, mj2000 said:

I need to check this out!

The MIami storyline is where Steve tried to kill Shane..Shane shot him instead and he fell into the sea and Bo and Hope saved him..This was back when he hated Bo over Britta and for poking out his eye, in the marines....Steve was an asshole, it is why Kayla falling for him was so magical, she saw something beneath his bluster and nasty attitude...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Apprentice79 said:

The MIami storyline is where Steve tried to kill Shane..Shane shot him instead and he fell into the sea and Bo and Hope saved him..This was back when he hated Bo over Britta and for poking out his eye, in the marines....

Oh ok. I need to find this. I've heard a little about the Miami storyline. It sounds pretty interesting. Of course that was back in the 80's when writing was at its best.

41 minutes ago, mj2000 said:

Oh ok. I need to find this. I've heard a little about the Miami storyline. It sounds pretty interesting. Of course that was back in the 80's when writing was at its best.

The Miami storyline was  an umbrella story that featured Bo, Hope, Steve,Victor, Shane, Kim, Peter, Melissa...It was amazing and the show went on location to Miami to shoot it....

16 hours ago, mj2000 said:

Don't forget good ole grandpa Bill.  A rapist himself, against Laura, and admitted taking advantage of Kate in her time of grief.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Don't forget good ole grandpa Bill.  A rapist himself, against Laura, and admitted taking advantage of Kate in her time of grief.

His uncle Mike hated Bill and always considered Mickey to be his dad, even after his true paternity was revealed..I always loved that about Days of our lives, blood does not make a family. Bo has never considered Victor his dad, it was always, Papa Shawn...The same thing goes for Sarah Horton and Neil Curtis..Mickey was her dad.....There are so many examples of this, throughout the history of the show. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, mj2000 said:

Didn't Jo Johnson also kill Nick Corelli because she thought he was responsible for Steve's "death"?

11 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

Didn't Jo Johnson also kill Nick Corelli because she thought he was responsible for Steve's "death"?

Yes, she did..He was ordered by Lawrence to kill Steve...After Steve saw him put a bomb in Bo's boat, the fancy face, to kill him..Nick's murder was a whodunit...

Edited by Apprentice79

Don't forget that Steve tied Hope up with a bowl of acid (water actually) over the door...which fell on her head when Bo opened it.  She was terrified.  And sometime after, he was somehow saving runaways, helping poor people, and loving Kayla.  <3 when great acting and great writing collide. 

Edited by Revlonred
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Yes, she did..He was ordered by Lawrence to kill Steve...After Steve saw him put a bomb in Bo's boat, the fancy face, to kill him..Nick's murder was a whodunit...

Thats right.Quite a bit of murderous and abusive behaviors exists in the family.

Wasnt Eve also considered a suspect during this?

• Love 1
Just now, Revlonred said:

Don't forget that Steve tied Hope up with a bowl of acid (water actually) over the door...which fell on her head when Bo opened it.  She was terrified.  And sometime after, he was somehow saving runaways, helping poor people, and loving Kayla.  <3 when acting and great writing collide. 

Don't forget that he tried to fix his part in facilitating Andrew's kidnapping by Emma, he felt very guilty about that.. He also became  a champion in keeping Frankie and Max together as siblings...Max should have been a part of the show.....

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, mj2000 said:

Thats right.Quite a bit of murderous and abusive behaviors exists in the family.

Wasnt Eve also considered a suspect during this?

Yes, she was..So was Shane..I think Jo's murder of Nick was a culmination of a lifetime of abuse, disappointments, neglect and poverty that affected her three children....Avenging Steve, was a way of doing something good for Steve for once in his life.....Jo was a flawed, sympathetic and tragic character.  A woman who loved her children, but, made alot of mistakes and that guilt that she always carried for not being a "perfect" mother..Society tends to castigate women for not being perfect mothers to their children..Jo Johnson, was an example of that and Steve forgiving her for giving him up, was such a joy to behold...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1