Type keyword(s) to search

Past Plots Discussion: Whatever Happened To...

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Rafael said:

Whatever happened to Johnny Stockton ? He was Marlena 's ward at some point back in 1982. He was a less than 10 years old I believe . 

Then again ,if Marlena doesnt give a damn about Kevin Cates ,who was on the show circa 1985 , i doubt she even cares where Johnny is today . 

To be fair, that was so long ago and they do not have a place on the show.  Jarlena barely remembers Carrie, their daughter of the heart..

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

To be fair, that was so long ago and they do not have a place on the show.  Jarlena barely remembers Carrie, their daughter of the heart..

Exactly. That's way too far back for enough people to care now and he wasnt very memorable. A few years back, I think on the Soap Central board his name was brought up and most of the response was "huh"?

13 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Exactly. That's way too far back for enough people to care now and he wasnt very memorable. A few years back, I think on the Soap Central board his name was brought up and most of the response was "huh"?

I thought it was pure genius when HS brought back Benji, but only to kill him was numbskullery. Hogan had his pluses and minuses, his willingness to mine a show's history was always a plus for me. 

• Love 3

10 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

No way it was way better Shawn/Caroline got a story out of Victor's arrival and at that point they were supporting players in the lives of their children but they also had a POV, secrets revealed etc.

I'm confused. Revealing an affair and real paternity isn't really them being settled, is it?  And I do think they're a bit different as they were introduced later in life and had a lot of backstory that could be revealed.  Steve and Kayla don't really have much of that unless we want to find out that Steve has another another family from his missing years?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm confused. Revealing an affair and real paternity isn't really them being settled, is it?  And I do think they're a bit different as they were introduced later in life and had a lot of backstory that could be revealed.  Steve and Kayla don't really have much of that unless we want to find out that Steve has another another family from his missing years?

Well considering you knew that they weren't really going to break up over it I found it to be settled personally but yes perspective varies as you pointed out we didn't watch them go back and forth with the drama like Doug/Julie who would be a better example. They had tons of drama in the 60s/70s started to become settled in the 80s when Hope was a teen going into adulthood. They had that weird breakup offscreen in the 90s but  now they're the elders of the show dealing with their family drama and driving story in their own ways. They could've easily put Doug/Julie out to pasture a couple decades ago without anyone noticing but the show saw value in what they could do at their age. Its a shame that the show doesn't manage to do this with Steve/Kayla or Jack/Jennifer(although at least the show has Abby and wants her around so J&J will have a better standing on this show than Steve/Kayla who's spawn they have no use for).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mckinnonsgirl said:

i should edit that, right now I'm on 1986; but 87 is slowly approaching.   oh I should add, my clips are Bo and Hope centric, but there are plenty of other characters in the scenes. 

1987 is another good year and I loved how Bo and Hope were slowly being transitioned out of the show that year.  The actors had told the producers  that they were not staying and they were given a wonderful exit that was a love letter to the fans.. I also think that the actors wanted to be away from each other...lol   

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

1987 is another good year and I loved how Bo and Hope were slowly being transitioned out of the show that year.  The actors had told the producers  that they were not staying and they were given a wonderful exit that was a love letter to the fans.. I also think that the actors wanted to be away from each other...lol   

Most importantly the show was able to survive without them because they were building up other characters/love stories to carry the show in their absence...

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Most importantly the show was able to survive without them because they were building up other characters/love stories to carry the show in their absence...

Exactly! if you were not a Bo/Hope fan then you had other couples to enjoy.  Look at how Ken Corday was panicking years ago in those leak Sony emails because he had built the show around EJ/Sami.  The actors had informed him that they wanted to leave because they were burnt out and he had no plan to fall back on.

• Love 3

I loved Bo and Hope's '87 exit.  It's just so classic since they literally sailed off into the sunset.  It was the ultimate HEA. And it felt like the writers really cared about the Bo/Hope fans unlike the '14 writers who basically said 'screw you' to the Sami/Ej fans.  But also with Bo/Hope's exit, Steve and Kayla were the ones on the dock to see them off as if the torch was being passed to them. It was a great send off and symbolic at the same time. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

I loved Bo and Hope's '87 exit.  It's just so classic since they literally sailed off into the sunset.  It was the ultimate HEA. And it felt like the writers really cared about the Bo/Hope fans unlike the '14 writers who basically said 'screw you' to the Sami/Ej fans.  But also with Bo/Hope's exit, Steve and Kayla were the ones on the dock to see them off as if the torch was being passed to them. It was a great send off and symbolic at the same time. 

Yup and they left on their boat "fancy face" with their  baby Sean-Douglas..  The writers really cared about attention to details and the fans. I miss that about soaps when they respected the fans and wrote accordingly..

• Love 4
On 12/11/2020 at 8:50 PM, Peanut6711 said:

You had Bo and Hope leaving, Steve and Kayla in the early days of their relationship, and Kim and Shane getting married.  So there were couples in all stages of their relationships.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

You had Bo and Hope leaving, Steve and Kayla in the early days of their relationship, and Kim and Shane getting married.  So there were couples in all stages of their relationships.  

You also had Rojohn dealing with the aftermath of Marlena's death and falling for Diana.  Justin and Adrienne were getting closer e.t.c. 

• Love 3

1987 Highlights:

-Emma's murder revealed to be Shane's ISA partner Gillian and her twin (but it was kinda cool cause the actress really had a twin in real life)

-Diana appears and is followed by the mysterious man in a braid who in a big reveal showers off his disguise (ah the days when there were multiple potential villains) 

-Steve is set up to shoot Sen. Deveraux and has to go on the run. (ah the days of adventure storylines and actual romance.) Lots of fun stuff from that summer including the time all the Steve/Kayla fans were waiting for.... (Poor MBE though who had to film their sexy times 6-7 months pregnant.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

1987 Highlights:

-Emma's murder revealed to be Shane's ISA partner Gillian and her twin (but it was kinda cool cause the actress really had a twin in real life)

-Diana appears and is followed by the mysterious man in a braid who in a big reveal showers off his disguise (ah the days when there were multiple potential villains) 

-Steve is set up to shoot Sen. Deveraux and has to go on the run. (ah the days of adventure storylines and actual romance.) Lots of fun stuff from that summer including the time all the Steve/Kayla fans were waiting for.... (Poor MBE though who had to film their sexy times 6-7 months pregnant.)

Don't forget Andrew's kidnapping and Victor asserting dominance over Kim and Shane..  The best thing about 1987, there are no Dimeras in sight.. Those were the days when not every bad thing that happens to a Salemite is due to Stefano the marvel supervillain and his mad doctor Rolf..

Stefano becoming a supervillain in the 90's and beyond  ruined him in my humble opinion.. He was much better in the 80's and his best rivalry was with Roman and Rojohn. His confrontation with Roman at the beach scared the hell out of me, that is how you write a scary villain.. His hatred for Roman was bone chilling.. It is too bad that awesome rivalry was abandoned for that insipid John/Stefano one with the million backstories in order to make that stupid retcon of John not being Roman sensical.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I always heard about this dog wedding but never saw the pics of this till now.. sadly this looks better than some of the weddings the humans had in recent years.

Well, budget! Premium kibble in the '80s! Now, soaps are lucky to have a set with a light bulb and single chair. And the crappy writing makes it too obvious. (If the writing was good, I doubt anyone would really notice how cheap things look now.)

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Don't forget Andrew's kidnapping and Victor asserting dominance over Kim and Shane..  The best thing about 1987, there are no Dimeras in sight.. Those were the days when not every bad thing that happens to a Salemite is due to Stefano the marvel supervillain and his mad doctor Rolf..

Stefano becoming a supervillain in the 90's and beyond  ruined him in my humble opinion.. He was much better in the 80's and his best rivalry was with Roman and Rojohn. His confrontation with Roman at the beach scared the hell out of me, that is how you write a scary villain.. His hatred for Roman was bone chilling.. It is too bad that awesome rivalry was abandoned for that insipid John/Stefano one with the million backstories in order to make that stupid retcon of John not being Roman sensical.

I agree about Stefano at that point he became too cartoonish I think I enjoyed him most in his scenes with his children namely Lexie after that as I felt she humanized him the most. 

Speaking of Diana who I liked she was the one that was married to Cal Winters right? So she was the one that brought him into Kim/Shane's lives if I'm correct. Course they ruined the character with the recast. Judith Chapman should've returned as Angelica while not my favorite version at least she'd have a purpose and would've added something to Jack/Jennifer and Justin/Adrienne's storylines.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I agree about Stefano at that point he became too cartoonish I think I enjoyed him most in his scenes with his children namely Lexie after that as I felt she humanized him the most. 

Speaking of Diana who I liked she was the one that was married to Cal Winters right? So she was the one that brought him into Kim/Shane's lives if I'm correct. Course they ruined the character with the recast. Judith Chapman should've returned as Angelica while not my favorite version at least she'd have a purpose and would've added something to Jack/Jennifer and Justin/Adrienne's storylines.

Yes she was married to Cal and the way that they broke up Roman and Diana has always pissed me off.. Ron is a hack so it is not surprising that he ruined both Diana and Angelica for his stupid stories.   Diana was not needed on the show and Anjelica should have been the vehicle to introduce Alexander Neil Kiriakis.  Her animosity regarding Adrienne should have been about her son preferring Adrienne over her and not Justin.  Anjelica could have bonded with JJ creating a rift between Jack and Jennifer.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Yes she was married to Cal and the way that they broke up Roman and Diana has always pissed me off.. Ron is a hack so it is not surprising that he ruined both Diana and Angelica for his stupid stories.   Diana was not needed on the show and Anjelica should have been the vehicle to introduce Alexander Neil Kiriakis.  Her animosity regarding Adrienne should have been about her son preferring Adrienne over her and not Justin.  Anjelica could have bonded with JJ creating a rift between Jack and Jennifer.  

I would've liked it if JJ/Anjelica bonded I think she would've brought back his shady side that I miss so much. He could've filled the void Alexander left behind for her... 

Plus JJ is always fond of the older women in his family(Kayla, Julie, Hope etc)

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I would've liked it if JJ/Anjelica bonded I think she would've brought back his shady side that I miss so much. He could've filled the void Alexander left behind for her... 

Plus JJ is always fond of the older women in his family(Kayla, Julie, Hope etc)

Exactly!  Anjelica was complex and there are so many things that Ron could have done with her.  Anjelica willingly gave up custody of her son Alex to Justin and Adrienne because she loved him enough to realize that they could give  him the stability that she could not.. I could see Anjelica trying to sabotage Adrienne and Jennifer's endeavor to restart Jack's old newspaper, perhaps, Alexander finds out about her schemes and he cuts all ties to her pushing her to seek revenge via JJ because she blames Jennifer the most.  I could see her pushing Jack to go into politics to Jennifer's chagrin.  I could even envision a scenario where Anjelica and Adrienne have to team up to save Alexander.  Anjelica's shady dealings with an ex lover with ties to Victor come back to haunt her.. Meanwhile Victor Kiriakis Jr. comes to town seeking help from his family because his twin Joseph is missing and he  gets swept up in Anjelica's web. Wilson is also affected by her.  So many possibilities wasted by Ron..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
On 12/12/2020 at 8:38 PM, Pearson80 said:

Yep, Stefano was definitely best in the 80s.  And '87 was great for all the other villains. Like one other highlight I should have added... Simon Hopkins! He was a great twist when it turned out he wasn't just brought on to make Tom jealous but really a criminal involved in the plot to kill the senator.  

• Love 4

At this point, I honestly don't understand why the Salem universe doesn't just acknowledge Covid or create a similar problem as a storyline (i.e. Rolf unleashes a contagious plague via one of his experimental serums gone wrong). It would make their filming constraints easier and some of their flimsy explanations (John & Marlena got food poisoning) less eye-roll worthy.  For instance, it would explain why out of town characters didn't return for funerals and weddings.  

They did have something similar a few years back with a virus that Rolf unleashed on Salem and I remember JJ giving Gabi his vial of the treatment or whatever so she could be there for Ari. I can't be the only one who remembers this right?

• Useful 2

I think Julie has grown since the show first started only because I felt Doug/Hope tamed her in a lot of ways. 

However she's also not dead inside either I do appreciate the show not completely defanging her like they have done to so many characters over the years. Its just now her unfortunate qualities have been overexaggerated from how grounded she once was.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Here’s the Days pilot episode 

LMAO at Julie's melodramatic meltdown over being caught red-handed stealing the fur. First she denies taking it, then says it was a joke, then tries to throw her friends under the bus, then claims she wasn't going to keep that ugly fur anyway, and when all else fails throws a fit and hurls herself dramatically on the desk. I can see why so many stories revolved around her back in the day. She certainly wasn't dull.

By the time I started watching DAYS in the late 80's, Mickey was already old; but 1966 Mickey was mighty fine! 

This Tony that Marie was engaged to: he seemed to be hiding something, I wonder if they ever got married. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

LMAO at Julie's melodramatic meltdown over being caught red-handed stealing the fur. First she denies taking it, then says it was a joke, then tries to throw her friends under the bus, then claims she wasn't going to keep that ugly fur anyway, and when all else fails throws a fit and hurls herself dramatically on the desk. I can see why so many stories revolved around her back in the day. She certainly wasn't dull.

By the time I started watching DAYS in the late 80's, Mickey was already old; but 1966 Mickey was mighty fine! 

This Tony that Marie was engaged to: he seemed to be hiding something, I wonder if they ever got married. 

Tony found out he had a rare disease that was going to kill him, so he called off the wedding and didn't tell her why.  She wound up marrying his father, Craig.  She had a miscarriage, but went crazy, imagining she was hearing babies.  Tony recovered from his disease, and Craig stepped aside, But she decided she couldn't trust Tony, so they broke up. The next guy she hooked up with turned out to be her brother, who went missing in Korea and had amnesia.  Once it was discovered who he was, Marie left town and eventually became a nun.

Marie had a child in New York before she joined the convent, and gave her up for adoption.  There was a lot of drama around her and her father. The daughter, Jessica, is Nick Fallon's mother.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

But she decided she couldn't trust Tony, so they broke up. The next guy she hooked up with turned out to be her brother, who went missing in Korea and had amnesia.

And apparently had plastic surgery for some reason. (Wasn't around for this but that is what I read, so it makes more sense that Marie would not recognize her own damned brother!)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Tony found out he had a rare disease that was going to kill him, so he called off the wedding and didn't tell her why.  She wound up marrying his father, Craig.  She had a miscarriage, but went crazy, imagining she was hearing babies.  Tony recovered from his disease, and Craig stepped aside, But she decided she couldn't trust Tony, so they broke up. The next guy she hooked up with turned out to be her brother, who went missing in Korea and had amnesia.  Once it was discovered who he was, Marie left town and eventually became a nun.

I thought he was hiding a wife, but a fatal disease is also very soapy. An incestuous relationship sounds pretty spicy for a 1960's soap opera. All I ever knew about Marie was that she was a nun, but it sounds like she had a pretty active & tumultuous love life before joining the nunnery. 

• Love 1

1987 also had the really beautiful Frankie/Jennifer prom dance. She can't go to the actual prom because a bitch jealous over Frankie destroyed her graduation art project which means she can't go to prom and has to attend summer school. So Frankie sets up a prom for her in the park and they dance to "Stand By Me." I was able to catch the clip before YouTube copyrighted- it was everything you'd want for a teen romance!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

1987 also had the really beautiful Frankie/Jennifer prom dance. She can't go to the actual prom because a bitch jealous over Frankie destroyed her graduation art project which means she can't go to prom and has to attend summer school. So Frankie sets up a prom for her in the park and they dance to "Stand By Me." I was able to catch the clip before YouTube copyrighted- it was everything you'd want for a teen romance!

I think I remember that. And "Stand By Me" was or became their theme song since all the 80s couples had one. 

Steve & Kayla: "If Your Heart Comes Out Tonight"

Bo & Hope: "Tonight I Celebrate My Love"

Shane & Kim: "Friends and Lovers"

Roman & Marlena: "Up Where We Belong" 

Justin & Adrienne.... I can't remember the name but I never cared for it and loathed every time WK broke out singing it. 😁

• Love 2

I think I remember that. And "Stand By Me" was or became their theme song since all the 80s couples had one. 

Justin & Adrienne.... I can't remember the name but I never cared for it and loathed every time WK broke out singing it. 😁

I also loved the characters individual theme song they  each had in addition to their couple theme song.  All of the couple theme song had an instrumental version of it and would add so much depth to a  poignant scene.  They really invested in soap operas  back then and took pride in their art..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Didn't Austin and Carrie have "I Only Have Eyes For You"?

I also remember Steve & Kayla dancing to "Lady in Red."

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I've seen it before, but man it's hard to imagine all of this stemming from that pretty boring (aside from Julie's histrionics) pilot episode, lol. I know it was a lot of exposition, but still. I wish I had access to--and time to watch--all of these beginning episodes at least up until the 80s when I pretty much know the storylines even though I didn't start watching until '97.

I know it was a different actress, but I would have no problem believing that was Susan Seaforth-Hayes playing original Julie based on the acting!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Didn't Austin and Carrie have "I Only Have Eyes For You"?

I also remember Steve & Kayla dancing to "Lady in Red."

Yes they did 

I believed Jarlena had "Unchained Melody"

90s couples had love themes

Phillip/Chloe- " I Need You" by LeAnn Rimes

Lawrence/Carly- "Fascination"- It was instrumental

I believe "Wicked" by Chris Isaak was Jack/Jennifer's? Also some song by Beth Mary Chapman which escapes me at the moment.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I believe "Wicked" by Chris Isaak was Jack/Jennifer's? Also some song by Beth Mary Chapman which escapes me at the moment.

"All I Have" by Beth Nielsen Chapman was used for a Jack and Jennifer montage and their wedding, I believe.  I also associate "Rescue Me" by Martha and the Vandellas with them as that's what was playing when Jack kidnapped Jennifer from her wedding to Emilio in the fire truck.

And Wicked Game was likely used later in the first run but I don't recall how.

• Love 2
On 2/19/2021 at 6:33 PM, nilyank said:

Heh. The first thing that ever happened on Days of Our Lives was Julie being a horrible person.

There have been many more horrible people than Julie, and some of that horribleness is literally OOC behavior in order to drum up sympathy for even more horrible people who happen to be younger than she is.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

There have been many more horrible people than Julie, and some of that horribleness is literally OOC behavior in order to drum up sympathy for even more horrible people who happen to be younger than she is.

Exactly! I personally don't understand the hate against Julie.. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Julie actually was racist towards Gabi. 

But I get the point of the other post. Look at that old summary I posted in the BTS thread: Julie was SUPPORTIVE of David and Valerie in freaking 1975. But she's now the heavy to make Gabi look like the poor victim/look good. All it did - for ME - is make me dislike Gabi (and be disgusted at Ron making Julie into a nasty harpy).

As I said in that other thread, it seems like character assassination to me to serve the younger pets.

• Love 3
On 2/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, WendyCR72 said:

But I get the point of the other post. Look at that old summary I posted in the BTS thread: Julie was SUPPORTIVE of David and Valerie in freaking 1975. But she's now the heavy to make Gabi look like the poor victim/look good. All it did - for ME - is make me dislike Gabi (and be disgusted at Ron making Julie into a nasty harpy).

As I said in that other thread, it seems like character assassination to me to serve the younger pets.

Was Julie being supportive the end of that storyline after she wasn't supportive in the beginning of David and Valerie?

The history that I have read and the history that the show referenced was that Julie was not supportive of interracial relationships back then. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

Was Julie being supportive the end of that storyline after she wasn't supportive in the beginning of David and Valerie?

The history that I have read and the history that the show referenced was that Julie was not supportive of interracial relationships back then. 

I was 3 in 1975, so I can't say.  🙂 But that synopsis basically did have Julie telling David that the world was still not all that accepting, but that Valerie was the kind of woman any mother would love for her son and gave her blessing. Sooo...  *shrug*

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, Rafael said:

When will Ava be exposed for causing Shawn Sr's death ? Or does Carlivati expect us to forget this?

Roman mentioned it to Tripp when Ava was missing and Tripp was hanging up posters about her near the Pub. This was also around the time that Tripp was accused by Allie of being her rapist.

• Love 3

Not sure this is the proper forum for this, but someone posted an old Jack/Jennifer promo from 1990. I had forgotten how spunky and fun Jennifer once was. Hard to believe she turned into such a drip.

• Love 3

And here are some 1982 commercials featuring Stefano, Lee Dumonde (played by the tragic Brenda Benet, who would take her life that same year after her young son with Bill Bixby died!), Julie, and Doug, among others.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Not sure this is the proper forum for this, but someone posted an old Jack/Jennifer promo from 1990. I had forgotten how spunky and fun Jennifer once was. Hard to believe she turned into such a drip.

I miss this Jennifer and the show knew how to write heroines who enjoyed sex.  It seems like only the bad girls are allowed to have pleasurable sex and they often use it as a weapon against the men.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I miss this Jennifer and the show knew how to write heroines who enjoyed sex.  It seems like only the bad girls are allowed to have pleasurable sex and they often use it as a weapon against the men.

Which good girl isn't having pleasurable sex?  Sarah practically jumps Xander's bones every time she sees him. Ciara is apparently no wallflower when it comes to having sex with Ben. Other than Lani being in love with Kristen, she doesn't seem dissatisfied with her love life with Eli.

And I don't think this commercial is a good example of a good girl liking sex.   Jennifer was still a virgin.  They hadn't had sex yet. They wouldn't have sex until July of that year.  At this point, Jack is trying to avoid being close to her because he didn't feel worthy of her.  She keeps dismissing his protests.

I won't lie. I love the scene but I also won't pretend it's not hella problematic. 

• Love 2