Type keyword(s) to search

Past Plots Discussion: Whatever Happened To...

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Revlonred said:

He also temporarily stole evidence against Kim from the cops for Emma's murder. 

He is my hero. 

I think that he did that to make up for working with Emma....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

I want to thank you guys.  I never really watched Days until Melaswen.  And even after that, it was intermittent.  

But, whenever I visited my sister, 2,000 miles away from here, we would watch Days together, back in the day.  So I had sort of a sense of the characters.  You all are doing an amazing job of filling in the history for newer viewers like me.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, bannana said:

I want to thank you guys.  I never really watched Days until Melaswen.  And even after that, it was intermittent.  

But, whenever I visited my sister, 2,000 miles away from here, we would watch Days together, back in the day.  So I had sort of a sense of the characters.  You all are doing an amazing job of filling in the history for newer viewers like me.  

Yes. It's been great for me, following this thread, and reminiscing about the "good old days" . I got hooked back in the early 80s when Tony came to town. So I watched all these storylines "live " - or as much as I could after school, as this was pre DVR and I think pre VCR .

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Yes, she was..So was Shane..I think Jo's murder of Nick was a culmination of a lifetime of abuse, disappointments, neglect and poverty that affected her three children....Avenging Steve, was a way of doing something good for Steve for once in his life.....Jo was a flawed, sympathetic and tragic character.  A woman who loved her children, but, made alot of mistakes and that guilt that she always carried for not being a "perfect" mother..Society tends to castigate women for not being perfect mothers to their children..Jo Johnson, was an example of that and Steve forgiving her for giving him up, was such a joy to behold...

I started watching right around the time that Steve gave Jack a kidney. There was so much great storyline there.

Jo was one of my favorite mothers. She was flawed but came across so realistically. Watching her relationship with all three of her children play out was great storytelling.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2016 at 2:35 PM, Apprentice79 said:

The Miami storyline was  an umbrella story that featured Bo, Hope, Steve,Victor, Shane, Kim, Peter, Melissa...It was amazing and the show went on location to Miami to shoot it....

The storyline leading up into in Miami was another great umbrella.  Marlena romances corrupt Police Chief Cates, who is investigated by the ISA and rookie cop Hope Brady, who hides away in a monastery after Cates kills her patrol partner Norma. Hope sneaks out a message to Bo via the Monastery Bakery to Fish Market Owner Caroline, who gets half of the loaf. Alice gets the other half. Cates' young teen son goes on and on about finding a car he thinks will be his 16th birthday present, mentioning that it was owned by Hope Somebody, leading Marlena to put the pieces together and arrive at Cates farmhouse just as Abe guns down and kills Chief Cates.  Meanwhile Pete Jannings and Melissa Anderson (Horton) are on the run in rainy Boston, being pursued by inept thug Steve Patch Johnson and trying to obtain clues about a big drug deal in the works. While being romanced by the town stud Chris Kositchek (AKA Josh Taylor), Savannah Wilder's music studio is shut down in a raid where Liz Curtis gets shot in the neck, nearly ending her singing career.  Cates is killed, the phone rings, and Shane gets the news from Cates' co-hort that everything is still on for Miami. Bo and Hope announce their intention to go on their honeymoon (?) to Miami, causing Savannah to flip out and make a scene. And Phil Collins makes his debut as DOOL crooner.

The end of Cates

Sadly, it seems that most of the Miami clips have been yanked from youtube.  There were great moments (Kimberly sexing up Victor to save Shane) and cheesy moments (Bo and Hope playing football at the Orange Bowl).  Shane channels James Bond and Chris Kositchek channels Miami Vice.  Bo and Hope as scuba frogmen.  Savannah Wilder stretched out on an empty beach and being tossed into the ocean by Bo Brady -- with Chris jumping from the helicopter to save her. There's gunfights, helicopters, and exploding boats. The Pawn is in town as well.  Oh, and more actual Phil Collins songs to score the show.

A pivotal episode is there in its entirety:

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 3

Thank you! for those clips above, San Diego... I heard that Cates was the man that Marlena got with, after Roman "died" and before the pawn a.k.a John Black, who was really Roman came back into her life.....The show was so damn good back then.....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

I remember so many bits and pieces of that pre Miami storyline! I was pretty young, but between school breaks and frequent strep throat I saw a lot of it :) 

Chief Cates, and Steve being really nuts and dirty!  And Pete and Melissa who I never loved like some other couples, but they were enjoyable.  That was when everything flowed, everything had a place.  

• Love 2

I just watched through the scenes of Sami finding John and Marlena on the conference table and then going to the hospital because Carrie was burned somehow. Alison Sweeney owned it, showing the rage and disappointment and betrayal and disillusionment and confusion. Even though she was young at the time she completely captured all the layers of that character's experience so well, it's easy to see why the writers kept going back to it as inspiration for Sami even decades later.

It was also nice to see how beautiful Deidre Hall was back in the day. She's still a beautiful woman but considering the crappy material she gets, it's hard to remember a time when Marlena was the leading lady on his show. She absolutely was.

What on Earth ended up happening with Carrie though? How did she get burned and why?

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

What on Earth ended up happening with Carrie though? How did she get burned and why?

I think Carrie got acid thrown at her face that was meant for Austin..Roman blackmailed her into breaking up with Austin. She also felt insecure about her scars...She kept on pushing him away, to both protect and to relieve him of any responsibility, towards her.. Eventually, Sami would use this, to scheme against Carrie, in order to win Austin, for herself...

I remember that awesome  scene, at the hospital, between John and an unconscious Carrie, where he poured out his heart, saying that he knows that intellectually that she is not his daughter, but, in his heart, she still was, the same goes for Eric and Sami...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I just watched through the scenes of Sami finding John and Marlena on the conference table and then going to the hospital because Carrie was burned somehow. Alison Sweeney owned it, showing the rage and disappointment and betrayal and disillusionment and confusion. Even though she was young at the time she completely captured all the layers of that character's experience so well, it's easy to see why the writers kept going back to it as inspiration for Sami even decades later.

That characterization of Sami's, was Sheri Anderson.  She always gave her characters dimensions... Once she left the show, JER made her very dark...

So I just spent over an hour reading this thread and taking a nice little trip down memory lane.  My mother has watched this off and on for literally my entire life (she named me after a character from the show lol) so I remember some of this stuff super well and only vaguely remember other stuff.  The stuff I remember the most and therefore my favorite characters and storylines are those from the late 80s and all of the 90s.  I went to college in the early 00s and stopped watching for awhile, but I've been trying to get back into it recently.

My favorite stories were John/Marlena/Roman arc, John/Marlena, anything involving Stephano, I was a big Carrie fan back in the day, Patch/Kayla, etc.  I especially loved anything with John/Marlena and all their miscellaneous kids.  John/Carrie being my favorite dynamic.  

I've been looking through YouTube for some of the older stuff that I know used to be there in the past, but now I can't find any of the good stuff, like entire story lines, start to finish, that used to be there.  And from reading the thread, even though it's been awhile, some others were having the same problem.  Is there anywhere else where this stuff is posted?  I would greatly appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.  I'm especially looking for anything with Carrie from the time she was a child to her adult life, particularly w/ her and John/John as Roman.  I'm also interested in John/Marlena/Roman, John and Sami and/or Eric, or Jack/Jennifer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Love 1

Almost everything is off YT now. It really does suck. I knew of a FB page with clips but NBC found it and threatened them. So stupid. It's not exactly like its hurting the ratings for fans to have access to old episodes...

If you find anything good PM me and let me know!

• Love 1

The only thing the trademark police let slide are vid clips with music over them. 

there are random fans who clip certain couples...you can find them on facebook, generally.

• Love 1
(edited)

Does anyone else remember how Kate dodged responsibility for kidnapping Tate by blackmailing Deimos AND Victor over their smuggling of rare antiquities? (Note: Spell-check originally changed that to 'snuggling antiquities'....awww!)

And then, she told Chad about Deimos' side business, which lead to this amulet nonsense?

...well...shouldn't it also have come out that Victor was in on that business? Sonny got his hands on the thing...wouldn't it be a logical storypoint for it to come out Victor was also involved in illegal art smuggling?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

I'm not surprised if the writers don't even remember that plot detail considering Kate being the kidnapper was obviously added at the last minute from whatever the original story was supposed to be.  I wouldn't be surprised if Victor's involvement was easily hand waved.

• Love 3
(edited)

...which pisses me off even further. If it was a crappy wrap-up then just do it and never mention it again. Now, they've built on it but are still ignoring making Victor implicated....

It galls me because I'm 95% sure Victor was the real kidnapper and when they switched it to Kate I was robbed of my chance (as a relatively newish viewer) of seeing him get the Villain Revealed treatment.

Folks always talk about all the awful things Victor has done and how he isn't a good guy at all but I've never actually seen it myself...and I want to. It seems like that's a chapter from his past that the show sometimes acknowledges but otherwise avoids, even when occasionally pointing out that he still seems to have underworld connections and a willingness to commit crimes that he won't discuss often (except perhaps when warning Sonny that running Titan will requiring him to do questionable things to succeed, for example).

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but Victor hated Theresa and with justifiable reason. She nearly killed his son-in-law John and then pushed Brady back into drugs multiple times and then overstayed her welcome in his house and constantly stood up to him in a very defiant way. I didn't mind seeing them develop a mutual respect for one another, but it felt like that beat should have only come two years down the line. It was too soon for me to believe he had completely forgiven her for being kind of a wrecking ball in everyone's lives.

I fully believe he did kidnap Tate and I would have so enjoyed seeing Brady and Maggie having to deal with that reality and Victor being painted again as a bit of a villain. John Aniston would have rocked the storyline even if it was poorly written and I'm upset that we were robbed seeing him have to deal with the consequences of his "evil" actions. The show seems to want to use him as Pop-up Victor without ever having to get into the details of why he does bad things or the bad things he does and it drives me kind of nuts. It's kind of like how EJ was constantly involved in criminal things, only with him, the show wasn't as hesitant to actually depict that side of his life. 

Plus the whole reveal of Kate being the kidnapper completely threw her under the bus and really made no sense.

The least they can do is have Sonny and Victor have a conversation about Sonny having to clean up Victor's illegal artifact smuggling side business so that it doesn't impact Sonny's tenure as CEO before it even gets started. A simple moment between Grandfather and Grandson acknowledging how the Grandson now sees clearly some of the uglier side of his grandfather's professional habits and how he can relate to that, having wanted the stolen amulet for himself.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
(edited)

The show missed the boat in not linking Victor's hatred of Theresa to his dark history with Kim and Shane.  The writers who brought back Theresa obviously never cared about that history because they changed the name of Kim and Shane's daughter from Jeannie to Theresa.  The name Jeannie was very important in the Kim/Shane love story.    Victor being the kidnapper of little Tate could have involved Kim, Shane and Andrew who was once believed to be Victor's.  It could have been an umbrella story that involved the cast in an organic way.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

t's kind of like how EJ was constantly involved in criminal things, only with him, the show wasn't as hesitant to actually depict that side of his life.

EJ was killed because Victor sold him the drug business and Clyde wanted to eliminate the competition.  

I still don't think anyone knows that is why EJ was killed or how it was connected to Victor.

By the way, even with that, the show had EJ  only doing that because he needed the money to pay off Stefano so he wouldn't go after Sami who took Dimera Enterprises with Kate away from Stefano.

• Love 1

It looks like most of the EJami 2007 clips have been pulled. Damn it, I loved that twisted little clusterfuck of a story, just because E.J. seemed like he was hitting boiler bunny levels of obsessed with Sami.

I'm watching Jack learning he's Billy Johnson. My god, Matthew Ashford in the late 80's/early 90's was just fucking beautiful. Every time I watch circa 1990 clips of Jack, I'm always reminded of that. You couldn't really see it later because his character had turned into a campy buffon and aging had roughed up his features a bit, but when he was the Todd Manning of Days a.k.a. the tortured little rapist rich boy, he was incredible to look at. No wonder Jennifer and Jack were called Barbie and Ken back in the day.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

So, am I right that Steve knew the entire time that Jack was his brother? That seems to be what he's saying to Kayla when he tells her who Jack really is. (But a lot of clips surrounding that reveal got pulled, it looks like.) What a shame. It looks like it was quite a story. Jack retreating back to his family mansion to look at a slideshow of himself as a baby with the Senator is just hilarious. I get a kick out of the fact that Jack is such a drama queen, in the body of a cornfed Iowa farm boy with the face of a 1940's matinee idol and the hair of a 1989 Calvin Klein model.

All that admiration of him, and then the Senator becomes a serial killer? His bio dad is a child molester and his adopted dad turns into a serial killer? What the hell? Does Jack ever get a normal male paternal figure?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

So, am I right that Steve knew the entire time that Jack was his brother? That seems to be what he's saying to Kayla when he tells her who Jack really is. (But a lot of clips surrounding that reveal got pulled, it looks like.)

Not all along, but well before Kayla.  Steve didn't know that Jack was his brother until after the "on the run" story wrapped up in the summer of 1987.  He and Kayla finally made love, and he was going to ask her to marry him when he found out from Jo that Jack was his brother (can't remember exactly how -- he saw Jack's adoption papers or the matching jewelry or something).  So he pushed Kayla away instead... Melissa surmised next, while she was Jack's assistant during his marriage to Kayla.

Kayla didn't find out until after her poisoning by Harper, that Steve kidnapped her away from.  Steve wanted her to go back to Jack, and only told her that he was his brother when she threatened to leave town all together.  That was around Christmas '87.  Jack didn't find out himself until after the rape, after the fight, after the kidney transplant, and during the Harper-serial-killer story, in spring/summer '88 while Kayla was deaf.

• Love 1

See, I'm so used to the campy fun version of late 90's/early 2000's Days that it's crazy to learn how genuinely twisted and dark this show got. It sounds like it could have given the Todd and Marty storyline on One Life to Live a run for its money.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

See, I'm so used to the campy fun version of late 90's/early 2000's Days that it's crazy to learn how genuinely twisted and dark this show got. It sounds like it could have given the Todd and Marty storyline on One Life to Live a run for its money.

I think that it had more depth and nuanced than what happened in one life to live. Jack showed genuine remorse for what he did to Kayla and his redemption took years to happen. Even, then, a part of Jack, never really forgave himself for what he did to Kayla.   I do think in a way that is why he always leaves Jennifer, he does not think that he is worthy of any type of happiness. The first time that Jack slept with Jennifer, it was truly special because Jennifer initiated it and it was the first time that Jack slept with a woman after showing true remorse for what he did to Kayla. Plus, the Steve/Kayla/Jack triangle eventually morphed into a triangle with Steve having to choose between the love of his life and the little brother he yearned to have in his life. There were so many layers to that story.  It was not the just the rape..

• Love 3

My gurl is thorough! She had them all up before but with some new thing she has, she can fill in gaps...plus she's doing more of the Chad/Mia thing since it relates more to Will. I wish Mia would come back and make Chad take notice. I'm bored to death by Chabby. Mix it up.

• Love 4

I found some old episodes online that  I've never seen before and I was watching through one where Hope and Aiden were working at the school Eric had help to set up. Hope stepped away to talk with John who gave her a note from Bo and explained that he was on some major mission that had taken a turn and was no longer about the DiMera's but about some massive cartel in Europe. I guess it was the show's way of explaining Peter Reckles' absence. John said he'd be gone for at least another year and Hope began reading his note and starting to cry.

...Dena completely ignored this setup didn't she? I don't remember anybody speaking to John about Bo's whereabouts during the return of Bo 50th Anniversary storyline in 2015. Everybody just acted like they had no clue where he was, including Victor. The note that Hope received from John, and the fact that John saw him...none if that was even brought up, IIRC. I remember Steve taking a look at a note and deciding that it wasn't really from Bo at all, but there was never any talk of it coming from John or John being the last person to see him alive.

...did Dena really ignore these details..?

• Love 3

Does Marlrna still keep in touch with Kevin Cates?

Kevin is the son of Richard Cates ,the crooked cop who killed Theo Carver and Valerie Grant's brother ,Danny Grant . 

If I recall correctly ,Abe and Shane raided Richard's house and Abe shot Richard in self -defence. I think Marlena went along for the ride and she was waiting outside Richard's house . I recall Marlena coming inside the house and finding Richard dying. Richard then begged Marlena to look out for Kevin and ensure Kevin grows up to be a better man than his dad .

I wonder if Marlena  still kePt in touch with him after all these years.

Hahahahahaha ,wouldnt hold my breath . 

Marlena doeS not even give a damn about Lani ,daughter of Tamara Price . Tamara was Marlena 's roommate in colleged and she sang at John and Marlena's first wedding .

But the TIIC messed up 

Daniel CoSgrove  would have been a good choice when it came to recasting the role of Kevin Cates . 

During The Richard Gates saga ,it was stated that Kevin was 15 years old .This was in 1985 . 

Do the Math .

Daniel Cosgrove was born in 1970 so he could have been a perfect Actor to bring back a now adult  Kevin Cates. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 1

Not really sure Doug/Julie and John/Marlena make sense logically either. 

Doug was once married to Julie's mom and had a kid with her (Hope) makes no real sense on paper but it was so well written etc back then it worked(plus it helped that Julie was involved with Doug first). 

John/Marlena is even more wacky due to John thinking he was Roman and Marlena not suspecting how strange it was because he didn't look like WN's Roman. Then WN's Roman returned and that's how John came to be.

Plus outside of sex and high drama what exactly connects John and Marlena on an emotional level or mentally for that matter. 

However they are longstanding couples on this show so they have past reputation to fall back on even if their stories are terrible the currently created couples don't even have that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

With Stefano as Steve, and Hope is Gina. Let's just turn John back into that amnesia one from years ago that used to live with EJ. That was the best John Black, no filter at all. lol

Yes he was paired with Ava right? Then it went downhill when they put him back with Marlena because supposedly Jarlena fans were bothered by the whole thing.  I would've kept John the same but still reunite him with Marlena to see how she would deal with that but it wasn't going to happen.

Course I always preferred John's non Marlena pairings in general.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

John/Marlena is even more wacky due to John thinking he was Roman and Marlena not suspecting how strange it was because he didn't look like WN's Roman. Then WN's Roman returned and that's how John came to be.

To be fair the show addressed this in the original story. Drake was Roman period, before the retcon in 1991.  The pawn with the bandaged face storyline was to test the audience to see if they would accept Drake as Roman and they did by an overwhelming majority.

Also, Marlena found the  plastic surgery pictures of the pawn with before and after pictures depicting his old face(Wayne) and his new face (Drake).  Even Carrie had a hard time with the face change and refused to call Drake's Roman dad. She really hated RoJohn. It took her a while to finally accept him as her dad. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Course I always preferred John's non Marlena pairings in general.

FRIEND!

I know, I know, Doc is John's "ride off into the sunset" pairing and history and blah, blah, but I MUCH preferred John with Isabella. I even liked him with non-crazy Social Worker Kristen Blake (as opposed to the basic DiMera she became). Even Genie Francis' REAL Diana Colville.

Oh, well.

I keep reading in places how Marlena holds up John, but based on history, he was just fine when Doc was "dead".

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I keep reading in places how Marlena holds up John, but based on history, he was just fine when Doc was "dead".

I agree, but Drake's Roman Brady was so much better than John Black with his 10,000 backstories. Drake's Roman was a loving single father, a devoted son, an awesome big brother and a tenacious cop with good instincts.  He could be judgmental and very conservative at times but he had purpose and meaning on the show and it was natural to pair him up with women who were not Marlena.  Roman was not defined solely by his relationship with her.

The same could be said for Marlena via her work as a psychiatrist. She had stories as well when Roman was dead..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I agree, but Drake's Roman Brady was so much better than John Black with his 10,000 backstories. Drake's Roman was a loving single father a devoted son awesome big brother and a tenacious cop with good instincts.  He could be judgmental and very conservative at times but he had purpose and meaning on the show and it was natural to pair him up with women who were not Marlena.  Roman was not defined solely by his relationship with her.

The same could be said for Marlena via her work as a psychiatrist. She had stories as well when Roman was dead..

Oh, no argument that Roman was a better-constructed character than John, but too much has happened to make John Roman again, much as I wish it could still be done. Said it before, but I hate that was wrecked for a mere what seemed like a visit (even if it was a few years) from Wayne Northrop.

But it is what it is now, so...

• Love 4

Once they turned John from Roman to John Black, he just became stupider. As Roman Brady, he was written as smarter and it was a role that Drake really shined in. By starting with all the many retcons, the writers had no idea what they wanted to do. They didn't want to make John the bad guy for taking over Roman's life but they just to twist John into all these ridiculous twists to explain his lack of memory and background. They should have stuck to one thing (Forest Alamain) and stayed there.

I would have given him back his memories if only to avoid having the writers adding things that he did not remember to his past as a Dimera byblow, priest, art thief, Dimera/Brady lovechild, assassin school graduate.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

FRIEND!

I know, I know, Doc is John's "ride off into the sunset" pairing and history and blah, blah, but I MUCH preferred John with Isabella. I even liked him with non-crazy Social Worker Kristen Blake (as opposed to the basic DiMera she became). Even Genie Francis' REAL Diana Colville.

Oh, well.

Yes I liked all those pairings but John was Roman at the time. As John except for Isabella he was rather nondescript as a character(course it didn't help they kept changing his backstory every few years).  So I can agree with Marlena holding him up.

However I think Drake can sell any pairing he's in. I don't think DH/Marlena can do it post John though and it has nothing to do with her age but how she's become now.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yes I liked all those pairings but John was Roman at the time.

With 99%. He was Roman and John with Isabella. And I recall a mini fan war of sorts online when John/Kate were teased. And, if I recall, a segment of the audience took to them. Shrug. So I think Drake as John can still have a non-Doc romance if circumstances dictate. But that comes down more to Drake Hogestyn being able to easily generate chemistry than the shitty writing.

• Love 2
On 1/12/2020 at 4:02 AM, Pearson80 said:

ExaTcLY. Remember when  shE dated Richard Cates , the crooked cop who was working for Victor and the same cop who killed Abe's brother Theo and Valerie's brother Danny ? At the end Abe and Shane tried to bust him and AbeE ended  shOoting richard in self defence .

A dying richard asked Marlena to watch over his son ,Kevin Cates . Now the question is: has Marlena even kept contact with Kevin since the mid 80s ? Has she Ever watched over him ? Yeah ,sure during the late 80s ,Marlena was presumed dead but whEn she returned from the dead ,Did she resume contact with Kevin ?

Bare in mind the whole Richard Cates thing took place right after Roman's death so both John and Roman were not present during this storyline. 

I mean ,they could have brought back Kevin by casting Daniel Cosgrove in the role . 

Kevin would have people he was connected to in Salem like Marlena , Victor ,Abe and Valerie. It wouldnt have been difficult to re-introduce him plus he is biologically neutral with no blood ties to the core families but atleast he does Somewhat have  A history in Salem. 

they could have milked Kevin's return by also bringing back Jett Carver ,son of Theo . The lAst time Jett was on The canvas ,he got fired from the ISA and he and Billie ended up working as security for Salem U.

Jett could simply join Salem PD and have a contentious relationship with Kevin since Kevins dad killed his dad. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Rafael said:

ExaTcLY. Remember when  shE dated Richard Cates , the crooked cop who was working for Victor and the same cop who killed Abe's brother Theo and Valerie's brother Danny ? At the end Abe and Shane tried to bust him and Abe shot richard in self defence . A dying richard asked Marlena to watch over his son ,Kevin Cates . Now the question is: has Marlena even kept contact with Kevin since the mid 80s ? Has she Ever watched over him ? Yeah ,sure during the late 80s ,Marlena was presumed dead but whEn she returned from the dead ,Did she resume contact with Kevin ?

Bare in mind the whole Richard Cates thing took place right after Roman's death so both John and Roman were not present during this storyline. 

I mean ,they could have brought back Kevin by casting Daniel Cosgrove in the role . 

Kevin would have people he was connected to in Salem like Marlena , Victor ,Abe and Valerie. It wouldnt have been difficult to re-introduce him plus he is biologically neutral with no blood ties to the core families but atleast he does Somewhat have  A history in Salem. 

they could have milked Kevin's return by bringing back Jett Carver ,son of Theo . The lsst timeJett was onwas when he got fired from the ISA and he and Billie ended up working as security for Salem U.

Jett could simply join Salem PD and have a contentious relationship with Kevin since Kevins dad killed his dad. 

What I loved about that story was the fact that it was all about Marlena. Richard Cates was so much like Roman. He and Marlena clashed like they used to do. Plus, he was never written as the love of her life. He served a purpose in Marlena's life at the time. Not all relationships will end up in marriage and children. I wish soaps would write more casual relationships because they are a part of life.The fact that Richard Cates was bad was a nice twist. He also was not trying to kill or kidnap Marlena . He did care about her.The consequences of that story lead to Marlena walking into a hospital and running into an amnesiac who called himself John Black.

Characters back then could stand on their own because they were not defined by their romantic relationships like they are now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/12/2020 at 2:31 PM, WendyCR72 said:

With 99%. He was Roman and John with Isabella. And I recall a mini fan war of sorts online when John/Kate were teased. And, if I recall, a segment of the audience took to them. Shrug. So I think Drake as John can still have a non-Doc romance if circumstances dictate. But that comes down more to Drake Hogestyn being able to easily generate chemistry than the shitty writing.

I personally loved John and Kate together. One of my all time favorite Days scenes is when they decided to end their engagement and go back to Roman and Marlena. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I personally loved John and Kate together. One of my all time favorite Days scenes is when they decided to end their engagement and go back to Roman and Marlena. 

Unlike the half -arsed Jennifer Horton-Devereaux and Carly Manning drug addiction storylines , John's drUg addiction storyline was brilliant . Drake deserved an emmy nomination . It was right around the time John and Kate began hooking up. 

• Love 2

Whatever happened to Crystal Galore , A former pornstar and Nicole's colleague from her pornstar days ? 

I remember her lusting after John and for some reasons, she ended up in jail and terrorised Marlena in jail whn she was arrested for the Salem Stalker killings. 

I also wonder what HaPPened to Nicole'S Ex boyfriend ,Jay ? 

We first saw him harrassing Nicole whiLe she was a waitress st Salem Place and he Promptly vanished after that. 

Edited by Rafael