Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Singin' In The Jane

• Start Topic

Two contestants will lead a team of three celebrities, which include Paul Scheer, Amy Smart, Constance Wu, Randall Cobb, Randall Park and Bobby Moynihan, in hopes of winning the $25,000 grand prize.

Judging by the title of this episode -- and the lack of any celebrity participants named Jane -- I'm guessing there'll be another round of Song Sung Wrong, aka "Jane Lynch reminds everyone she can sing." It seemed very showboat-y to me the first time; I'm hoping it miraculously comes off less so this go round.

• Love 2

Mostly a promising group. I like the Fresh Off The Boat crew. Bobby Moynihan seems okay, though sometimes SNL guys are more into doing bits than gameplay. Only really familiar with Amy Smart from the Crank films, which are crazy. Not sure about Randall Cobb, who I assume is the football player, since athletes can be really hit-or-miss on this type of show (but probably better than reality show "stars" and celebrity chefs). Is Andy Roddick the only sports guy they've had on before? He did okay, but tennis is as unlike football as you can get.

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1

I had to google Randall Cobb. No idea why he's on the show.

I'm looking forward to Scheer, Wu, Park, and Moynihan.

I've seen Amy Smart in a few things, but until I just double-checked, I've long been thinking she was in a movie with Dennis Hopper called 'Carried Away,' where she seduces him. Actually, that was Amy Locane. All this time I was thinking it was Smart.

I did like Randall Cobb, although he wasn't terribly helpful.  Randall P., Constance, and Paul were all spot on.  Oddly lopsided scoring made it a little boring, but the final round was well-played.

• Love 1

It's fun to see the games well played, even if there's no suspense about the outcome. It's nice that the score (5 points per answer) of the fifth game allowed the losing team to add up at least a respectable (rather than embarrassing) score, and they were fun presences (Randall Cobb was an awfully good sport about everything, knowing how far out of his comfort zone he was). But they must have known there was no real chance.

Paul was obviously the MVP, but Randall and Constance had their strengths too (she seemed to know her songs, and he did some good Batman work). Excellently played final round, all good clues, and a lot of time left unused.

• Love 3

It was a shame that it was so lopsided, since the losing team wasn't actually that bad, just overall a bit slower than the winners (was that the first time Smash the Buzzer was a shutout?), and did a great job in the Charade round. I think they'd have done well against almost any other team this season.

I mostly liked all the games this time around, even enjoyed Song Sung Wrong more this time around, though I still won't miss it if it goes away.

Paul was definitely the best player, and deserved to be in the final round. Bobby would have been my choice from the other team as well. They did a bit of talking over each other, but not too much, and both gave good clues and the civilian player was pretty much unstoppable at that point.

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1

I kind of hated how lopsided this was because I feel its lopsidedness was partially caused by the show.  One of the attributes winning teams have is understanding how a teammate is going to play something.  Developing that with teammates is part of this game.  The second the announcer said that Constance Wu, Randall Park and Paul Scheer  were one team, I already knew it'd be a lopsided victory for Team FOTB (Fresh Off The Boat.)

TeamFOTB already worked together and have developed some kind of short hand and at least comfort with one another that an actress, a football player and a sketch comic wouldn't be able to overcome in an episode--although they did acquit themselves well at the end. I love the idea of seeing cast members on a team together, but they should have been going up against Bobby with two SNL castmates. 

Can anyone remember the last time co-workers or friends were put on the same team as opposed to opposite sides?  Isn't that what they do with married couples? 

I think Paul Scheer was by far the best player.  And he was so quick. I did laugh that he beat Randall Cobb to the buzzer a few times because Randall Cobb is not slow.  Constance Wu looked extremely strong to me as well because she seemed to know many answers even when she wasn't at the podium. 

I did enjoy the final round. I thought it was interesting to see the kinds of clues Paul would give and the kinds of clues Bobby would give.  I think Bobby's mind really worked like "if I were to do an impression of this person, what characteristics would I highlight?" However, instead of vague, a few of them were excellently specific.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
Can anyone remember the last time co-workers or friends were put on the same team as opposed to opposite sides?

They had a team from HOT IN CLEVELAND and a team from ORANGES, THE NEW BLACK (on separate shows) last year.

• Love 1

Agree that is was a lopsided game. I wasn't too impressed with the female civilian but the male civilian was great. Loved the FOTB team. I don't think that prior history/chemistry was too much of an advantage for the FOTB team as most of the games were single contestant games. And both teams did extremely well in the Charades game. 

MVP definitely goes to Paul Scheer. Love him and am glad he was chosen for the Celebrity Round. In addition to acting, he also has a podcast with his wife actress June Diane Raphael and actor Jason Mantzoukas where they trash bad movies. It's pretty hilarious!!! I recommend it 100%.

I actually love Song Sung Wrong. Jane is so cute and gets really into it, plus I like her voice. Looks like a lot of fun for both the players and the audience. 

Edit: whoops....forgot the name of the podcast. It's called How Did This Get Made? and its on iTunes. 

Edited by Makenna

And the Fresh of the Boat Crew won because of Scheer more tan anything. Whether or not they worked together didn't really matter that much. The whole team was great but any team that has a teammate doing so well in so many of the games is going to win regardless. One of Paul's jobs is watching movies on his podcasts and he's worked with pretty much everybody so having him on your team is a blessing.

Constance is a singer so I'm sure she's listened to tons of music which helped a lot in the singing game.

MVP - Paul Scheer period.

Doesn't need to return - Randall Cobb. Nice guy but just out of his element.

Biggest Blunder - They weren't that many. I couldn't believe no one saw Don King (between the two up there).

Best Game - The buzzer game just for the complete slaughter.

I don't think that prior history/chemistry was too much of an advantage for the FOTB team as most of the games were single contestant games. And both teams did extremely well in the Charades game. 

I do think comfort and ease gives teams an intangible benefit.  It's the kind of comfort the show tries to recreate with alcohol.  Things like the box game or being willing to throw your body into another teammate's in an effort to get to the middle buzzer....well it's the little things.  That said, Paul really was going to be difficult to beat.

I don't think anyone was bad so it'd be interesting to see some of these players playing people who were not Paul.

• Love 2

They had a team from HOT IN CLEVELAND and a team from ORANGES, THE NEW BLACK (on separate shows) last year.

It's Orange is the New Black...small point there. And they've also had married couples on before (Oscar & Grammy-winning singer/songwriter John Legend & model & about to be cookbook author Chrissy Teigen, & now-retired Grand Slam tennis champion Andy Roddick & model-actress-TV personality Brooklyn Decker... that I remember) but, as the poster upthread said, the couples were split between the teams.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Can anyone remember the last time co-workers or friends were put on the same team as opposed to opposite sides?  Isn't that what they do with married couples? 

Two weeks ago with Kevin Smith, Justin Long, and Haley Joel Osment who had just finished back to back films (Tusk and Yoga Hosers) together.

• Love 1

Oops, so used to Scott Aukerman's intentional mangling of the title of OITNB that I actually forgot the title.

And yeah, there have been a few other couples (Olivia Wilde & Jason Sudeikis and Cobie Smulders & Taran Killam) and they always put them opposite each other so they play at least one game head-to-head. I'd guess if they have three people on from a currently running TV show that the booking was arranged partly to plug the show and it's seen as better to have them all on the same team, while a couple it's more fun to have them compete.

• Love 2

I still don't think it matters at all. Randall Cobb was out of his element and the female civilian basically was too. That was the issue. Amy and

Bobby were good but good enough to beat the talents on the other team. Paul has a lot of pop culture knowledge, Constance was a singer before the acting and spent a lot of time on youtube so I'm sure a bit of pop culture knowledge was gained there too. The male civilian was no slouch and Randall Park didn't hold down his team at all. That's why they did so well. They had a quality team.

I wonder what would have happened if Seth Green was on this week for what ended up being the losing side. The man knows his pop culture.

Just for the visual, I love comfortable Constance with Randall. Just curled up next to him like they were at home watching tv or something with her feet up and everything.

I realized while watching this that,although I'd do fine in the regular rounds, I'd probably get slayed in the final. While I recognized the celebrity names, I don't know who's married to whom, most singers after the year 2000, and who's been in most recent films. I think the female contestant may have had the same issues if she'd made it to the final.

I did enjoy the final round. I thought it was interesting to see the kinds of clues Paul would give and the kinds of clues Bobby would give.  I think Bobby's mind really worked like "if I were to do an impression of this person, what characteristics would I highlight?" However, instead of vague, a few of them were excellently specific.

That's a very astute observation, and I think it explains why the SNL cast members (that I've seen) tend not to perform so well on this show.

In other notes, I think there was a slight edge for team Fresh of the Boat in the game where they had to make the movie titles using the blocks (the name of which I'm forgetting) - just the experience of having worked together before make them more comfortable moving and bossing each other around than a team of people who'd just met.

That being said, Paul Scheer was obviously unstoppable and they would have won anyway. But still.

I also have to agree with Tara & Joe from the podcast, that I thought Batman was a way easier family of clues for I Love a Charade than Harry Potter. Influential as Harry Potter has been over the past 15 years, Batman has, like, over half a century of cultural impact on its side. There's a lot more collective consciousness to pull from there.

TeamFOTB already worked together and have developed some kind of short hand and at least comfort with one another that an actress, a football player and a sketch comic wouldn't be able to overcome in an episode--although they did acquit themselves well at the end. I love the idea of seeing cast members on a team together, but they should have been going up against Bobby with two SNL castmates.  

I agree. Frankly, before Jane introduced Paul Scheer, I had forgotten that he was on FOTB. I was surprised the three of them were grouped together. Granted, I loved them, but that was an unfair advantage. Even if Randall Cobb was out of his element -- and I don't think he was that bad -- his team would have done better if he'd been playing with a couple of his friends. It just makes sense that people who know each other have shorthand ways of communicating.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable ep, even if lopsided. I don't know if the Batman charades were easier than the Harry Potter ones. If you kept the movie in mind as the person did the charade, it was a lot easier. I got 'diary' because I knew about that item in the book/movie series. I don't think Smart should have passed on 'potion.' IMO, that would have been fairly easy to mime. On the Batman side, I was really impressed by 'Joker' and 'Bane.' I think Randall did The Joker. A shrug is what gave it away? Does The Joker shrug? And then Constance doing the Bane mask (or whatever it's called) was perfect.

I don't like Trading Faces because it's too hard for me. Sometimes I can see the faces, but usually I'm just perplexed.

Smash the Buzzer is one of my least favorite games, though here it was fun seeing Scheer just rule.

He and Bobby worked really well together in the final round. Of course, Brian was the perfect contestant, up on pop culture and pretty sharp.

I really like Bobby, and he didn't disappoint. Love when after losing the block game he said, "You're so tough with your giant word box."

I also got a big kick out of Randall Cobb dancing like Carlton.

MVP definitely goes to Paul Scheer. Love him and am glad he was chosen for the Celebrity Round. In addition to acting, he also has a podcast with his wife actress June Diane Raphael and actor Jason Mantzoukas where they trash bad movies. It's pretty hilarious!!! I recommend it 100%.

Edit: whoops....forgot the name of the podcast. It's called How Did This Get Made? and its on iTunes. 

I've heard of that podcast. I need to check it out. Thanks.

I agree. Frankly, before Jane introduced Paul Scheer, I had forgotten that he was on FOTB. I was surprised the three of them were grouped together. Granted, I loved them, but that was an unfair advantage. Even if Randall Cobb was out of his element -- and I don't think he was that bad -- his team would have done better if he'd been playing with a couple of his friends. It just makes sense that people who know each other have shorthand ways of communicating.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable ep, even if lopsided. I don't know if the Batman charades were easier than the Harry Potter ones. If you kept the movie in mind as the person did the charade, it was a lot easier. I got 'diary' because I knew about that item in the book/movie series. I don't think Smart should have passed on 'potion.' IMO, that would have been fairly easy to mime. On the Batman side, I was really impressed by 'Joker' and 'Bane.' I think Randall did The Joker. A shrug is what gave it away? Does The Joker shrug? And then Constance doing the Bane mask (or whatever it's called) was perfect.

I don't like Trading Faces because it's too hard for me. Sometimes I can see the faces, but usually I'm just perplexed.

Smash the Buzzer is one of my least favorite games, though here it was fun seeing Scheer just rule.

He and Bobby worked really well together in the final round. Of course, Brian was the perfect contestant, up on pop culture and pretty sharp.

I really like Bobby, and he didn't disappoint. Love when after losing the block game he said, "You're so tough with your giant word box."

I also got a big kick out of Randall Cobb dancing like Carlton.

I've heard of that podcast. I need to check it out. Thanks.

Randall Park didn't shrug on Joker. He mimed dealing cards. Joker is a card in a deck. Paul was just probably waiting for that come up anyway. That's Batman's most recognizable villain.

The Batman clues featured a bunch of hints that were hard to act out. Paul was just on top of his game.

Respectfully, none of these things are an issue to me. Paul was just damn good. The other team had chances to get back into despite who was on what team and what hints they got. One team was just more on the ball than the other. It's fine. Some game time comps are lopsided. Might not be as much fun for some to watch, but watching someone kill at the game is fun for me.

• Love 1

I have to stand up in defense of Ginger here- "you can get yourself clean" is most definitely a lyric in YMCA. Granted, it wasn't the correct lyric for the game, but everyone was acting like she'd made up some super bizarre version of the song. I mean, even in context it's a strange lyric, but it is at least real:

You can get yourself clean/you can have a good meal/you can do whatever you feel

• Love 13

Don't agree that Harry Potter was harder than Batman in the Charades round. As far as I could tell that team was just miming generic spell/witchcraft terms. I didn't see them get words like "Harry Potter" or "Hogwarts" meanwhile the FOTB team had "Robin", "Bane", "Joker". I don't think there was a clear advantage to the FOTB team. 

• Love 2

I have to stand up in defense of Ginger here- "you can get yourself clean" is most definitely a lyric in YMCA. 

Absolutely. I was thinking that at the time -- she knew the song, she was just quoting from the wrong part of it.

Meanwhile, also for YMCA, if Randall Park thinks it's about "girls and boys" together, he really doesn't know the song very well at all....

• Love 3

I personally haven't found SNL funny in decades and the "drunk uncle" bit Bobby Moynihan was prompted to do did nothing to change my mind.

Song Sung Wrong didn't bug me as much this time around - it felt like it took up less time, with songs that had shorter first three bars. I figured out the trick to this game, at least when you're playing at home - it's to sing over Jane and block out the wrong lyrics because that's what throws you.

I personally haven't found SNL funny in decades and the "drunk uncle" bit Bobby Moynihan was prompted to do did nothing to change my mind.

Song Sung Wrong didn't bug me as much this time around - it felt like it took up less time, with songs that had shorter first three bars. I figured out the trick to this game, at least when you're playing at home - it's to sing over Jane and block out the wrong lyrics because that's what throws you.

That wasn't a fair representation of the show or the character. He wasn't planning on doing it there so he just did something silly. I just say that as someone who generally enjoys the bit and have never understood the bashing snl often gets because every timeframe of that shows it's stinker episodes, guests, characters, cast members, etc. But, yeah you have to block out Jane to make that game work but you also have to know the song in the first place. Like I've heard YMCA my whole life but the chorus only sticks out off the top of my head. And I'll take everyone's word on the clean line. Don't recall it at all
  • Love 2

Don't agree that Harry Potter was harder than Batman in the Charades round. As far as I could tell that team was just miming generic spell/witchcraft terms. I didn't see them get words like "Harry Potter" or "Hogwarts" meanwhile the FOTB team had "Robin", "Bane", "Joker". I don't think there was a clear advantage to the FOTB team.

I agree, not to mention I think TeamFOTB would have rocked Harry Potter as well.

I also don't think that the fact that they are on the same show meant anything other than that Constance and Randall were sitting close to each other on the coach they didn't appear to have a connection during the game and Paul and the contestant seemed fine running into each other and had a good connection during charades.

Randall Park didn't shrug on Joker. He mimed dealing cards. Joker is a card in a deck. Paul was just probably waiting for that come up anyway. That's Batman's most recognizable villain.

I just rewatched. The first thing he did was shrug, then he mimed dealing cards. After they guessed right, the camera even showed Bobby shrugging. I'm just not sure what Randall meant. Was it "I don't know what else to do, so I'm going to deal cards and hope you get Joker?" Or, as I wondered, was it a gesture that The Joker sometimes did, like maybe in cartoon or comic form?

I just rewatched. The first thing he did was shrug, then he mimed dealing cards. After they guessed right, the camera even showed Bobby shrugging. I'm just not sure what Randall meant. Was it "I don't know what else to do, so I'm going to deal cards and hope you get Joker?" Or, as I wondered, was it a gesture that The Joker sometimes did, like maybe in cartoon or comic form?

Yeah, I didn't read that much into it. He shrugged because he didn't know what to do and then he mimed dealing cards. It just didn't seem confusing to me. The shrug had nothing to do with the game. He was just confused for a second.

Meanwhile, also for YMCA, if Randall Park thinks it's about "girls and boys" together, he really doesn't know the song very well at all....

I always sing that line in my head as "You can MAKE out with all the boys." because that would be appropriate to the song's meaning.

Drunk Uncle is maybe my favourite thing on SNL nowadays. Its not laugh out loud funny; in fact its actually sad. Bobby nails that drunk character. I just find it captivating, but I get why its not everyone's thing.

I must have a very low tolerance for smarm, as the male civilian made me want to punch him in the face, kick him in the nuts, and punch him in the face again. Dial it down about 20 notches, buddy. He was hamming it up, grabbing hands, smirking and over-emoting in every fucking scene. But yes, he did exceptionally well. Paul Scheer was ridiculously good, though I don't think there was really a weak link in the room. Strangely, it made the show just a little less entertaining to not have one doofus celeb to snicker at.

Paul Scheer was undeniably the MVP, but I deducted a billion points off him after the blockbusters game for yelling at the other team, "That's how you play Blockbusters!" (and without any kind of humorous tone that would've softened it) It was just a really shitty display of poor sportsmanship that nearly killed the entire vibe of the room. Bobby helped save it by coming up with a witty rejoinder, but you could really see the goodnatured looks and smiles of the team's faces turn totally forced when they heard Scheer. They knew perfectly well how bad they were doing, they were being good sports about it and graciously applauding the other team, they didn't need Scheer rubbing it in. I noticed that after the commercial break for that game, Jane chose not to give the scores for the teams (first time I've ever seen her do that) and I think that was a good move on her part that was clearly motivated by what Scheer had done - she didn't want to bring in a bad vibe again so shortly after Scheer's taunts. He did settle down after that, so I kind of wonder if Jane or one of the producers took him aside and told him, "Look, asshole, it's a competition but it's also supposed to be a fun night for everyone. Don't be that guy, the one who is a great player but cannot resist rubbing everyone else's noses in it and turning the game unpleasant."

I'm terrible at all the music games, but Song Sung Wrong is easily my favorite because the whole room gets into it. It has a really nice pacing that works for me - for a few lines everyone gets to just bump along to the music, it's a party, and then bam, there's a line the contestants need to get. I loved everyone's admiration for Constance when she sang.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1