Type keyword(s) to search

What An Idiot: Stupid Movie Character Moments

• Start Topic

The villagers in An American Werewolf in London. Not only for being too cowardly to warn Jack and David, but for only saving them when it was too late: Jack was dead and David had been bitten. Why save David when they KNEW he’d be turned? It’s awful to say, but all that carnage could’ve been avoided if they killed the werewolf after he finished off David. Then the last werewolf would have been killed and the curse would be done.

• Love 2
On 10/29/2022 at 8:43 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Two words: Victor Frankenstein.

Idiot or asshole? Overly Sarcastic Productions does a great breakdown of Victor in their Halloween recap of Frankenstein. And they followed it up the next year or so by doing a recap of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and also pointed out that as far as the scientific process goes, Jekyll had it all over Victor.

• Love 3
On 10/30/2022 at 9:46 AM, Spartan Girl said:

The villagers in An American Werewolf in London. Not only for being too cowardly to warn Jack and David, but for only saving them when it was too late: Jack was dead and David had been bitten. Why save David when they KNEW he’d be turned? It’s awful to say, but all that carnage could’ve been avoided if they killed the werewolf after he finished off David. Then the last werewolf would have been killed and the curse would be done.

I love that movie, but yeah, you want to end the werewolf curse, make sure there isn't a survivor.

• Love 2
On 10/31/2022 at 2:20 PM, Dandesun said:

Idiot or asshole? Overly Sarcastic Productions does a great breakdown of Victor in their Halloween recap of Frankenstein. And they followed it up the next year or so by doing a recap of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and also pointed out that as far as the scientific process goes, Jekyll had it all over Victor.

I love Overly Sarcastic Productions. Their always really good and funny. Their Frankenstein was really good. So was their Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Upon rewatching/reading Gone Girl, one can’t help but wonder that maybe Nick could have saved himself a lot of trouble had he just admitted to having an affair when Amy first went missing. He was so obsessed with wanting to be seen as a good guy that he failed to realize that hiding a mistress made him more guilty than just having a mistress. If he just came clean to Boney sooner and not insisted on doing the treasure hunt himself, he would have at least had an ally with the cops. Or maybe that’s wishful thinking, but it was still a stupid move that worked in Amy’s favor.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Upon rewatching/reading Gone Girl, one can’t help but wonder that maybe Nick could have saved himself a lot of trouble had he just admitted to having an affair when Amy first went missing. He was so obsessed with wanting to be seen as a good guy that he failed to realize that hiding a mistress made him more guilty than just having a mistress. If he just came clean to Boney sooner and not insisted on doing the treasure hunt himself, he would have at least had an ally with the cops. Or maybe that’s wishful thinking, but it was still a stupid move that worked in Amy’s favor.

It was stupid. So many make that same stupid mistake. Thinking that if he tells them about the affair it will make him look guilty and not realizing that when it comes out later that it makes him look more guilty. I get why it would be hard in the beginning but really it's better to tell them right away. 

• Like 5
On 6/16/2023 at 12:12 PM, Spartan Girl said:

On 6/16/2023 at 5:21 PM, andromeda331 said:

It was stupid. So many make that same stupid mistake. Thinking that if he tells them about the affair it will make him look guilty and not realizing that when it comes out later that it makes him look more guilty. I get why it would be hard in the beginning but really it's better to tell them right away. 

Yeah it was stupid but it was understandably stupid. At this point Nick really thinks Amy IS missing- he didn’t want to be married to her any more (and was too much of a punk to end it) but he didn’t want her dead or hurt. I can believe his mind was spinning, also, his own twin didn’t know about the affair, I can believe he didn’t want the police and everyone else knowing about it. 

On 11/7/2022 at 11:45 PM, andromeda331 said:

I love Overly Sarcastic Productions. Their always really good and funny. Their Frankenstein was really good. So was their Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

You wanna know a secret? The guy on that YouTube channel is my therapist’s SON!😁. Yes I feel famous. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah it was stupid but it was understandably stupid. At this point Nick really thinks Amy IS missing- he didn’t want to be married to her any more (and was too much of a punk to end it) but he didn’t want her dead or hurt. I can believe his mind was spinning, also, his own twin didn’t know about the affair, I can believe he didn’t want the police and everyone else knowing about it. 

You wanna know a secret? The guy on that YouTube channel is my therapist’s SON!😁. Yes I feel famous. 

You are famous! Your so lucky to know his mother. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Carlos in Crazy Beautiful from what I remember of it.  

Dude takes a bus 2 hours to school from the wrong side of the tracks to get involved with Kristen Dunst's rich bad girl character from what I recall.  Yeah she was cute but seemed a headache to say the least.  Although I think Kristen's father was like some influential politician that Carlos thought could helped him out.

But maybe my own biases come out there.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1

Hoskin's in Jurassic World didn't just do something stupid, he was a stupid character all around.  Using raptors as weapons of war was a dumb idea from the start.  It was obvious that Owen, even after working with them since the day they were born, still had to maintain sharp attention to and caution with them, yet Hoskin still thought that they are trainable enough to follow commands in the field?  I likened the raptors to our bloodhound:  we were ecstatic when we finally got him to learn to sit and even then, until the day he died, we had to be firm and, at times, still had to repeat ourselves more than once (unless we were holding a snack 🤣 ).  FFS, Hoskins even saw the raptors lunge after Owen when he turned his back on them. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

“Suffer? Oh, heck no, honey! It was daily mud baths and massages for a decade and a half!”

Jeez, why is it always the women who are made to ask such dumb questions???

SERIOUSLY! That version of Mercedes was a lot more sympathetic than others, but I’m glad Edmond treated that question with the sarcastic scorn it deserved.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

SERIOUSLY! That version of Mercedes was a lot more sympathetic than others, but I’m glad Edmond treated that question with the sarcastic scorn it deserved.

I still hate they took out her scene of telling Fernand to keep his affairs from their son or she'd cause a stink and a scene everywhere. It was a great scene and she showed some strength in dealing with him.. 

• Like 1

That whole movie was nonsense from an adaptation point of view. If I remember correctly, it had a happy ending with Edmond reuniting with Mercedes and she even claimed Albert was his son. Let me take a moment to throw up. There. First, Albert being his son is complete BS and second, anyone who thinks that they can still get together after everything that happened did not get the point of the book.

• Like 1

Little Miss Sunshine: I’m well aware that the Hoovers were dysfunctional AF but you’re telling me that NONE of them had bothered to watch Olive’s routine before the pageant? Also why did either Richard or Sheryl think it was a good idea to let Grandpa Edwin be in charge of teaching Olive the routine, knowing exactly what kind of person he was? Yes, he loved Olive and he had plenty of good points…but seriously?

• Like 4

It works for me with how distracted they were, and that neither of them had any interest in pageants.  It was this stupid thing her niece did, and then Olive got interested, but they didn't become a pageant family.  She was feeling the pressure of being the only one bringing in any money right now and of hoping her brother didn't try to kill himself again, on top of the usual dealing with Grandpa's shenanigans, so for Olive and Grandpa to just hang out in the basement working on a routine kept both of them out of their hair and took a little off their plate.

• Like 3
(edited)

Endless Love: You know, it would have saved everyone a lot of trouble if David had simply listened to Jade’s parents asking him to just gave Jade space for one measly month so that they could both catch up on their studies. Had David done that, it would have proved to the dad that he could be reasonable and mature and set everyone’s concerns that the relationship was moving too fast, and David and Jade could do whatever they wanted.

But noooooo, a month was too much! Much more reasonable to start a fire at Jade’s house so he could play hero. That’ll show everyone you’re not a psycho stalker. Idiot.

Although maybe Jade’s parents were the bigger idiots for allowing Jade to have sex with David in their own house whenever she wanted to begin with. Didn’t occur to them that such lax parenting would come back to bite them in the ass…

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2

In a mood for a stupid slasher flick so I’m rewatching Prom Night 2008. I know slasher flicks aren’t know for having the he smartest characters, but there’s a hotel maid who is so stupid that if she wasn’t killed by the murderer, I would hope she was fired. A group of friends are staying at a hotel where their prom is being held. One is being stalked by the murderer who is obsessed with her. He follows them to their floor and sees what room. Then, as the housekeeper passes, he says his room key doesn’t work. She tries the key he has and when it doesn’t work does she say, “Oh you’ll have to go down and have them make you a new one.” She just lets him in with her master key and says he can have a new key brought up. He then gets her in the room by asking for more towels, kills her and steals the master key. I’m just sitting here thinking that any hotel worker who did that in real life would be fired. Even in 2008, you would have to show ID before being let into a hotel room you were locked out of…

• Like 3

Bride Wars: This whole movie was a whole mess of stupid, but the biggest one was the fact that neither one of them wanted to compromise for such stupid petty reasons. When you’ve landed a venue at the motherfucking PLAZA, beggars can’t be choosersWho cares if the wedding date is in June?! And if you want it in June so bad, just have a double wedding!!!!

Fine, I get not wanting to share everything with your friend, but since those two already did everything together and both loved the idea of getting married at the Plaza, then why not?! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Bride Wars: This whole movie was a whole mess of stupid, but the biggest one was the fact that neither one of them wanted to compromise for such stupid petty reasons. When you’ve landed a venue at the motherfucking PLAZA, beggars can’t be choosersWho cares if the wedding date is in June?! And if you want it in June so bad, just have a double wedding!!!!

Fine, I get not wanting to share everything with your friend, but since those two already did everything together and both loved the idea of getting married at the Plaza, then why not?! 

Because according to too many writers, all women actually hate each other, especially their friends. It's nothing but petty, backstabbing competition 24/7.

Bride Wars makes me feel better about liking 1939's The Women which, yes, is definitely problematic in its portrayal of women's relationships with each other, but isn't nearly as grating and offensive (and, y'know, was released in the fucking 1930s).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I just can’t wrap my mind around why both weddings had to be in June. June is not the end-all be-all month for weddings. It could be any month of year and it would still be a gorgeous wedding at the Plaza. Hell, a December wedding at the Plaza would be even better than June because of all their beautiful Christmas decorations!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

You could argue that everyone in Mamma Mia! is an idiot, but Sophie’s harebrained idea that she could invite all three of her potential fathers to her wedding and automatically figure out which one was her dad just on some psychic instinct? Not telling her fiancé because she was “afraid he’d talk (her) out of it”? And after all trouble, deciding in the end not to go through with a paternity test to find her father because all three of them wanted to be her dad despite knowing her for one measly day?

the naked gun facepalm GIF

Even Karen in Mean Girls had more common sense.

• Like 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Even Karen in Mean Girls had more common sense.

Karen's a step ahead of everyone in this tread. She knows she's an idiot. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2